Experts and Doctors on conjugated linoleic acids in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: conjugated linoleic acids
- Close R, Schoeller D, Watras A, Nora E. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation alters the 6-mo change in fat oxidation during sleep. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86:797-804 pubmed..Mixed isomer CLA supplementation, but not placebo, positively altered fat oxidation and energy expenditure during sleep. ..
- Purushotham A, Wendel A, Liu L, Belury M. Maintenance of adiponectin attenuates insulin resistance induced by dietary conjugated linoleic acid in mice. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:444-52 pubmed..In conclusion, we show that insulin resistance induced by CLA may be related more to adiponectin depletion than to leptin and that maintaining adiponectin levels alone either by removing CLA or using ROSI can attenuate these effects. ..
- Liu L, Purushotham A, Wendel A, Belury M. Combined effects of rosiglitazone and conjugated linoleic acid on adiposity, insulin sensitivity, and hepatic steatosis in high-fat-fed mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007;292:G1671-82 pubmed..Rosi ameliorated CLA-induced lipodystrophic disorders that occurred in parallel with rescued expression of adipocytokine and adipocytes-abundant genes. ..
- Purushotham A, Shrode G, Wendel A, Liu L, Belury M. Conjugated linoleic acid does not reduce body fat but decreases hepatic steatosis in adult Wistar rats. J Nutr Biochem. 2007;18:676-84 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that in the Wistar rat model, where adipose levels remain static after feeding dietary CLA, hepatic lipid accumulation is reduced and these effects are not due to an improvement in overall adiposity. ..
- Racine N, Watras A, Carrel A, Allen D, McVean J, Clark R, et al. Effect of conjugated linoleic acid on body fat accretion in overweight or obese children. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91:1157-64 pubmed publisher..Long-term investigation of the safety and efficacy of CLA supplementation in children is recommended. ..
- Dandona P, Mohanty P, Ghanim H, Aljada A, Browne R, Hamouda W, et al. The suppressive effect of dietary restriction and weight loss in the obese on the generation of reactive oxygen species by leukocytes, lipid peroxidation, and protein carbonylation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:355-62 pubmed
- Wang L, Huang Y, Sugimoto Y, Liu S, Chang H, Ye W, et al. Effects of human breast stromal cells on conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) modulated vascular endothelial growth factor-A (VEGF-A) expression in MCF-7 cells. Anticancer Res. 2005;25:4061-8 pubmed..t10,c12-CLA appeared to be the more active isomer than c9, t11-CLA. The results indicate that dietary CLA might serve as a chemo-therapeutic agent in human breast cancers by down-regulating VEGF-A expression. ..
- Choi Y, Park Y, Pariza M, Ntambi J. Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity by the trans-10,cis-12 isomer of conjugated linoleic acid in HepG2 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;284:689-93 pubmed..These results suggest that in HepG2 cells the trans-10,cis-12 CLA isomer regulates human SCD activity mainly by a posttranslational mechanism. ..
- Wendel A, Belury M. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid and troglitazone on lipid accumulation and composition in lean and Zucker diabetic fatty (fa/fa) rats. Lipids. 2006;41:241-7 pubmed..The effects of CLA and TZD on hepatic lipid composition suggest that the effects of these two agents on glucose tolerance may be associated with a reduction in SCD-1. ..
- Chuang L, Thurmond J, Liu J, Mukerji P, Bray T, Huang Y. Effect of conjugated linoleic acid on Delta-5 desaturase activity in yeast transformed with fungal Delta-5 desaturase gene. Mol Cell Biochem. 2004;265:11-8 pubmed
- Schoeller D, Watras A, Whigham L. A meta-analysis of the effects of conjugated linoleic acid on fat-free mass in humans. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2009;34:975-8 pubmed publisher..week(-1); p = 0.8), or an effect of dosage (0.1 +/- 0.1 kg.g CLA(-1).day(-1); p = 0.3). We conclude that FFM does increase in humans during CLA treatment, but the onset of the increase is rapid and the total increase is small (<1%). ..
- Russell J, McGee S, Ip M, Kuhlmann D, Masso Welch P. Conjugated linoleic acid induces mast cell recruitment during mouse mammary gland stromal remodeling. J Nutr. 2007;137:1200-7 pubmed
- Lee J, Lee K, Akoh C, Chung S, Kim M. Antioxidant evaluation and oxidative stability of structured lipids from extravirgin olive oil and conjugated linoleic acid. J Agric Food Chem. 2006;54:5416-21 pubmed..The present study suggests that the SL olive oil may be a suitable way to incorporate or deliver CLA into human diets. However, the addition of a proper antioxidant would be required for improving its oxidative stability. ..
- Wendel A, Purushotham A, Liu L, Belury M. Conjugated linoleic acid fails to worsen insulin resistance but induces hepatic steatosis in the presence of leptin in ob/ob mice. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:98-106 pubmed..In summary, CLA worsened insulin resistance without evidence of inflammation or hepatic steatosis in mice after 4 weeks. In the presence of leptin, CLA failed to worsen insulin resistance but induced hepatic steatosis in ob/ob mice. ..
- Hur S, Whitcomb F, Rhee S, Park Y, Good D, Park Y. Effects of trans-10,cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid on body composition in genetically obese mice. J Med Food. 2009;12:56-63 pubmed publisher..The effect of CLA to lower fat mass, increase lean body mass, and lower serum leptin and triglycerides in sedentary mice supports the possibility of using CLA to prevent or alleviate ailments associated with obesity...
- Ou L, Wu Y, Ip C, Meng X, Hsu Y, Ip M. Apoptosis induced by t10,c12-conjugated linoleic acid is mediated by an atypical endoplasmic reticulum stress response. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:985-94 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data demonstrate that apoptosis induced by t10,c12-CLA is mediated, at least in part, through an atypical ER stress response that culminates in the induction of CHOP and the cleavage of caspase-12. ..
- Joyal S. A perspective on the current strategies for the treatment of obesity. Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord. 2004;3:341-56 pubmed..g., Ephedra, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), Garcinia cambogia/ hydroxycitric acid (HCA), chromium, pyruvate), the safety and efficacy of FDA-approved long-term obesity treatments sibutramine and orlistat, and bariatric surgery...