Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on circular dichroism in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: circular dichroism
Publications239 found, 100 shown here
- Ariyananda L, Lee P, Antonopoulos C, Colman R. Biochemical and biophysical analysis of five disease-associated human adenylosuccinate lyase mutants. Biochemistry. 2009;48:5291-302 pubmed publisher..Thus, these disease-associated single mutations can yield enzyme with reduced activity either by affecting the active site or by perturbing the enzyme's structure and/or native conformation which are required for catalytic function. ..
- Corriveau M, Mullins M, Baus D, Harris M, Taylor D. Coordinated interactions of multiple POT1-TPP1 proteins with telomere DNA. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:16361-70 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that POT1-TPP1 binds telomeric DNA in a coordinated manner to facilitate assembly of the nucleoprotein complexes into a state that is more accessible to enzymatic activity...
- Harris L, Watkins D, Williams L, Koudelka G. Indirect readout of DNA sequence by p22 repressor: roles of DNA and protein functional groups in modulating DNA conformation. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:133-43 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that these negatively charged amino acids function to force the P22R-bound DNA into the B' state and therefore play a key role in indirect readout by P22R. ..
- Nayak N, Putnam A, Addepalli B, Lowenson J, Chen T, Jankowsky E, et al. An Arabidopsis ATP-dependent, DEAD-box RNA helicase loses activity upon IsoAsp formation but is restored by PROTEIN ISOASPARTYL METHYLTRANSFERASE. Plant Cell. 2013;25:2573-86 pubmed publisher..For PRH75, an important enzymatic activity associated with translation would be eliminated unless rapidly repaired by PIMT prior to additional, deleterious conformational changes that would compromise seed vitality and germination. ..
- Raj P, Johnsson M, Levine M, Nancollas G. Salivary statherin. Dependence on sequence, charge, hydrogen bonding potency, and helical conformation for adsorption to hydroxyapatite and inhibition of mineralization. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:5968-76 pubmed..Collectively, the data indicate that the negative charge density, sequence (1-15), and helical conformation at the N-terminal region of statherin are important for its surface interaction with HAP. ..
- Bullesbach E, Schwabe C. Mouse relaxin: synthesis and biological activity of the first relaxin with an unusual crosslinking pattern. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1993;196:311-9 pubmed
- Yoon K, Hille R, Hemann C, Tabita F. Rubredoxin from the green sulfur bacterium Chlorobium tepidum functions as an electron acceptor for pyruvate ferredoxin oxidoreductase. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:29772-8 pubmed..The midpoint reduction potential of C. tepidum Rd was determined to be -87 mV, which is the most electronegative value reported for Rd from any source...
- Bailey R, Dunker A, Brown C, Garner E, Griswold M. Clusterin, a binding protein with a molten globule-like region. Biochemistry. 2001;40:11828-40 pubmed..We propose that natively disordered regions with amphipathic helices form a dynamic, molten globule-like binding site and provide clusterin the ability to bind to a variety of molecules. ..
- Guo C, Shah R, Dukor R, Cao X, Freedman T, Nafie L. Determination of enantiomeric excess in samples of chiral molecules using fourier transform vibrational circular dichroism spectroscopy: simulation of real-time reaction monitoring. Anal Chem. 2004;76:6956-66 pubmed..These findings demonstrate the potential for VCD to be used for real-time monitoring of the composition and % EE of chemical reactions involving the synthesis chiral molecules. ..
- Misquitta S, Colman R. Communication between the two active sites of glutathione S-transferase A1-1, probed using wild-type-mutant heterodimers. Biochemistry. 2005;44:8608-19 pubmed..Modeling studies show that key amino acid residues and water molecules connect the two active sites. This connectivity is responsible for the cross-talk between the active sites. ..
- Stjohn F, Rice J, Preston J. Paenibacillus sp. strain JDR-2 and XynA1: a novel system for methylglucuronoxylan utilization. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006;72:1496-506 pubmed..This depolymerization/assimilation system may be utilized for development of biocatalysts to efficiently convert MeGAXn to alternative fuels and biobased products...
- Ausar S, Foubert T, Hudson M, Vedvick T, Middaugh C. Conformational stability and disassembly of Norwalk virus-like particles. Effect of pH and temperature. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:19478-88 pubmed..Complementary, differential scanning calorimetric analyses suggest that the two domains of VP1 unfold independently in a pH-dependent manner. ..
- Garrey S, Voelker R, Berglund J. An extended RNA binding site for the yeast branch point-binding protein and the role of its zinc knuckle domains in RNA binding. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27443-53 pubmed..The lack of involvement of the second highly conserved zinc knuckle in RNA binding suggests that this zinc knuckle plays a different role in RNA processing than enhancing the binding of BBP to the BPS. ..
- Weecharangsan W, Yu B, Zheng Y, Liu S, Pang J, Lee L, et al. Efficient delivery of antisense oligodeoxyribonucleotide g3139 by human serum albumin-coated liposomes. Mol Pharm. 2009;6:1848-55 pubmed publisher..HSA-coated liposomes are effective delivery vehicles for antisense ODN. ..
- Mallam A, Jarmoskaite I, Tijerina P, Del Campo M, Seifert S, Guo L, et al. Solution structures of DEAD-box RNA chaperones reveal conformational changes and nucleic acid tethering by a basic tail. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:12254-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the basic tails of DEAD-box proteins contribute to RNA-chaperone activity by binding nonspecifically to large RNA substrates and flexibly tethering the core for the unwinding of neighboring duplexes. ..
- Ishikawa Y, Vranka J, Boudko S, Pokidysheva E, Mizuno K, Zientek K, et al. Mutation in cyclophilin B that causes hyperelastosis cutis in American Quarter Horse does not affect peptidylprolyl cis-trans isomerase activity but shows altered cyclophilin B-protein interactions and affects collagen folding. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:22253-65 pubmed publisher
- Zou Y, Hamann M. Atkamine: a new pyrroloiminoquinone scaffold from the cold water Aleutian Islands Latrunculia sponge. Org Lett. 2013;15:1516-9 pubmed publisher..The absolute configuration was determined by using computational approaches combing with the ECD (electronic circular dichroism) spectroscopy. ..
- Chaudhary B, Mazumder S, Mohanty S. Production and biophysical characterization of a mini-membrane protein, Ost4V23D: A functionally important mutant of yeast oligosaccharyltransferase subunit Ost4p. Protein Expr Purif. 2017;139:43-48 pubmed publisher..CD and NMR data suggest that mutation of Val23 to Asp impacts the secondary structure and conformation of Ost4p. ..
- Li B, Zhang W, Chan G, Jancso Radek A, Liu S, Weiss M. Human sex reversal due to impaired nuclear localization of SRY. A clinical correlation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:46480-4 pubmed..To our knowledge, these results provide the first example of impaired organogenesis due to a nuclear localization signal mutation. ..
- Maguire B, Manuilov A, Zimmermann R. Differential effects of replacing Escherichia coli ribosomal protein L27 with its homologue from Aquifex aeolicus. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:6565-72 pubmed..coli homologue functionally in completed ribosomes, it does not assist in the assembly of E. coli ribosomes that otherwise lack L27. Possible explanations for this paradoxical behavior are discussed. ..
- Watson R, Woody R, Lewis R, Bohle D, Andreotti A, Ray B, et al. Conformational changes in pediocin AcH upon vesicle binding and approximation of the membrane-bound structure in detergent micelles. Biochemistry. 2001;40:14037-46 pubmed..This demonstrates the importance of a hydrocarbon-water interface to pediocin AcH structure induction and suggests that it is preferable to use detergent micelles as solvents in NMR studies of pediocin AcH structure. ..
- Takata T, Oxford J, Brandon T, Lampi K. Deamidation alters the structure and decreases the stability of human lens betaA3-crystallin. Biochemistry. 2007;46:8861-71 pubmed..These results suggest that introducing charges at the predicted domain interface in the betaA3 homodimer may contribute to the insolubilization of lens crystallins or favor other, more stable, crystallin subunit interactions. ..
- De Zoysa Ariyananda L, Colman R. Evaluation of types of interactions in subunit association in Bacillus subtilis adenylosuccinate lyase. Biochemistry. 2008;47:2923-34 pubmed publisher..We conclude that both hydrophobic and electrostatic interactions play roles in maintaining the ASL tetramer and this structure is essential for adenylosuccinate lyase activity. ..
- Nieto S, Lynch V, Anslyn E, Kim H, Chin J. High-throughput screening of identity, enantiomeric excess, and concentration using MLCT transitions in CD spectroscopy. J Am Chem Soc. 2008;130:9232-3 pubmed publisher..The speed and accuracy as well as ability to simultaneously measure ee concentration and identity represent clear advantages over traditional methods and makes this method adaptable to true high-throughput screening. ..
- Paramasivan S, Bolton P. Mix and measure fluorescence screening for selective quadruplex binders. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:e106 pubmed publisher..The screening is based on observing the increase or decrease in the fluorescence of the reporter molecules. The selectivity of a set of test molecules has been determined by this approach. ..
- Govorov A, Fan Z, Hernandez P, Slocik J, Naik R. Theory of circular dichroism of nanomaterials comprising chiral molecules and nanocrystals: plasmon enhancement, dipole interactions, and dielectric effects. Nano Lett. 2010;10:1374-82 pubmed publisher..The results obtained here can be used to design a variety of hybrid nanostructures with enhanced and tailored optical chirality in the visible wavelength range. ..
- Luo B, Repalli J, Yousef A, Johnson S, Lebioda L, Berger S. Human thymidylate synthase with loop 181-197 stabilized in an inactive conformation: ligand interactions, phosphorylation, and inhibition profiles. Protein Sci. 2011;20:87-94 pubmed publisher..Importantly, phosphorylation of hTS by CK2 is selective for the inactive conformation, providing the first indication of physiological relevance for conformational switching. ..
- Basta L, Patel H, Kakalis L, Jordan F, Meyers C. Defining critical residues for substrate binding to 1-deoxy-D-xylulose 5-phosphate synthase--active site substitutions stabilize the predecarboxylation intermediate C2?-lactylthiamin diphosphate. FEBS J. 2014;281:2820-2837 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a role of these residues in promoting GraP binding, which in turn facilitates decarboxylation, and also highlight interesting differences between DXP synthase and other thiamin diphosphate-dependent enzymes. ..
- Carlos J, Klenotic P, Paetzel M, Strynadka N, Dalbey R. Mutational evidence of transition state stabilization by serine 88 in Escherichia coli type I signal peptidase. Biochemistry. 2000;39:7276-83 pubmed..coli SPase I enzyme. These results provide strong evidence for the stabilization by Ser 88 of the oxyanion intermediate during catalysis by E. coli SPase I. ..
- Lee P, Colman R. Expression, purification, and characterization of stable, recombinant human adenylosuccinate lyase. Protein Expr Purif. 2007;51:227-34 pubmed..The enzyme is stable for at least 5 days at 25 degrees C, and upon rapid freezing and thawing. Temperature as well as reducing agent (DTT) play critical roles in determining the stability of the human adenylosuccinate lyase. ..
- Huang J, Valluzzi R, Bini E, Vernaglia B, Kaplan D. Cloning, expression, and assembly of sericin-like protein. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:46117-23 pubmed..The glue-like property of sericin is attributed to the hydrogen bonding between serine residues of sericin with serine residues in the fibroin structural components of silk fiber. ..
- Chahal H, Dai Y, Saini A, Ayala Castro C, Outten F. The SufBCD Fe-S scaffold complex interacts with SufA for Fe-S cluster transfer. Biochemistry. 2009;48:10644-53 pubmed publisher..Our results represent the first biochemical evidence that the SufBCD complex within the Suf pathway functions as a novel Fe-S scaffold system to assemble nascent clusters and transfer them to the SufA Fe-S shuttle. ..
- Britton Z, Hanle E, Robinson A. An expression and purification system for the biosynthesis of adenosine receptor peptides for biophysical and structural characterization. Protein Expr Purif. 2012;84:224-35 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate the utility of this system by optimizing the construct for thrombin processing and apply the system to peptides with more complex structures. ..
- Gastinel L, Simister N, Bjorkman P. Expression and crystallization of a soluble and functional form of an Fc receptor related to class I histocompatibility molecules. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:638-42 pubmed..Soluble FcRn crystallizes in a form amenable to a structure determination by x-ray diffraction methods, which will ultimately allow a detailed comparison of the two types of molecules...
- Mukerji I, Williams A. UV resonance Raman and circular dichroism studies of a DNA duplex containing an A(3)T(3) tract: evidence for a premelting transition and three-centered H-bonds. Biochemistry. 2002;41:69-77 pubmed..The enthalpy of this H-bond, estimated from the thermally induced frequency shift of the dT C4=O vibrational mode, is approximately 1.9 kJ/mol or 0.46 kcal/mol. ..
- Shan J, Baguinon M, Zheng L, Krishnamoorthi R. Expression, refolding, and activation of the catalytic domain of human blood coagulation factor XII. Protein Expr Purif. 2003;27:143-9 pubmed
- Peters W, Edmondson S, Shriver J. Effect of mutation of the Sac7d intercalating residues on the temperature dependence of DNA distortion and binding thermodynamics. Biochemistry. 2005;44:4794-804 pubmed..The results support the proposal that the unfavorable enthalpy of binding of Sac7d at 25 degrees C is due in part to the distortion of DNA. ..
- Kim K, Giedt C, Basanez G, O Neill J, Hill J, Han Y, et al. Biophysical characterization of recombinant human Bcl-2 and its interactions with an inhibitory ligand, antimycin A. Biochemistry. 2001;40:4911-22 pubmed..Antimycin A selectively induces apoptosis in cells overexpressing Bcl-2, suggesting that hydrophobic groove-binding compounds may act as selective apoptotic triggers in tumor cells. ..
- Rogers D, Brouillette C, Engler J, Tendian S, Roberts L, Mishra V, et al. Truncation of the amino terminus of human apolipoprotein A-I substantially alters only the lipid-free conformation. Biochemistry. 1997;36:288-300 pubmed
- Hannah B, Misenheimer T, Annis D, Mosher D. A polymorphism in thrombospondin-1 associated with familial premature coronary heart disease causes a local change in conformation of the Ca2+-binding repeats. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:8929-34 pubmed..These findings indicate that the Ser-700 polymorphism subtly but significantly sensitizes the calcium-binding repeats to removal of Ca2+ and thermal denaturation. ..
- Biswas A, Miller A, Oya Ito T, Santhoshkumar P, Bhat M, Nagaraj R. Effect of site-directed mutagenesis of methylglyoxal-modifiable arginine residues on the structure and chaperone function of human alphaA-crystallin. Biochemistry. 2006;45:4569-77 pubmed
- Hari S, Byeon C, Lavinder J, Magliery T. Cysteine-free Rop: a four-helix bundle core mutant has wild-type stability and structure but dramatically different unfolding kinetics. Protein Sci. 2010;19:670-9 pubmed publisher..It also suggests a general strategy for removal of pairs of Cys residues in proteins, both to make them more experimentally tractable and to improve their storage properties for therapeutic or industrial purposes. ..
- Tran T, Kim S, Gallo C, Amaya M, Kyees J, Narayanaswami V. Biochemical and biophysical characterization of recombinant rat apolipoprotein E: similarities to human apolipoprotein E3. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2013;529:18-25 pubmed publisher..12 min(-1). It has the ability to bind the LDLr and to heparin. Our studies indicate that although its sequence resembles apoE4, an isoform of apoE3, rat apoE displays the biophysical behavior of apoE3. ..
- Nyarko A, Hare M, Hays T, Barbar E. The intermediate chain of cytoplasmic dynein is partially disordered and gains structure upon binding to light-chain LC8. Biochemistry. 2004;43:15595-603 pubmed..The induced folding of IC(1-289) upon LC8 binding suggests that LC8 could act through the intermediate chain to facilitate dynein assembly or regulate cargo-binding interactions. ..
- Loo K, Degtyareva N, Park J, Sengupta B, Reddish M, Rogers C, et al. Ag(+)-mediated assembly of 5'-guanosine monophosphate. J Phys Chem B. 2010;114:4320-6 pubmed publisher..The proposed structural model is a Ag(+)-mediated guanine dimer within a base stacked aggregate. ..
- Arrese E, Rivera L, Hamada M, Soulages J. Purification and characterization of recombinant lipid storage protein-2 from Drosophila melanogaster. Protein Pept Lett. 2008;15:1027-32 pubmed..This study provides the starting point for future studies on the mechanism of function of Lsd2. The similarities and differences between Lsd1 and Lsd2, the only PAT proteins found in insects, are discussed. ..
- Shakamuri P, Zhang B, Johnson M. Monothiol glutaredoxins function in storing and transporting [Fe2S2] clusters assembled on IscU scaffold proteins. J Am Chem Soc. 2012;134:15213-6 pubmed
- Ajtai K, Garamszegi S, Park S, Velazquez Dones A, Burghardt T. Structural characterization of beta-cardiac myosin subfragment 1 in solution. Biochemistry. 2001;40:12078-93 pubmed..These studies elucidate energy transduction and suggest how mutations of betaS1 implicated in disease might undermine function, stability, or efficiency. ..
- Gupta R, Srivastava O. Effect of deamidation of asparagine 146 on functional and structural properties of human lens alphaB-crystallin. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:206-14 pubmed..The results show that the deamidation of N146 but not of N78 have profound effects on the structural and functional properties of alphaB-crystallin. ..
- Bates P, Choi E, Nayak L. G-rich oligonucleotides for cancer treatment. Methods Mol Biol. 2009;542:379-92 pubmed publisher..One of the GROs that we have developed, a 26-nucleotide phosphodiester oligodeoxynucleotide now named AS1411 (formerly AGRO100 or GRO26B-OH), is currently being tested as an anticancer agent in Phase II clinical trials. ..
- Sukharnikov L, Alahuhta M, Brunecky R, Upadhyay A, Himmel M, Lunin V, et al. Sequence, structure, and evolution of cellulases in glycoside hydrolase family 48. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:41068-77 pubmed publisher..These markers were used to screen metagenomics data for "true" cellulases. ..
- Bhardwaj A, Sankhala R, Olia A, Brooke D, Casjens S, Taylor D, et al. Structural Plasticity of the Protein Plug That Traps Newly Packaged Genomes in Podoviridae Virions. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:215-26 pubmed publisher..The conformational plasticity of the tail needle N-terminal tip is built in the amino acid sequence, explaining its extraordinary conservation in nature. ..
- Chatterjee S, Zhong D, Nordhues B, Battaile K, Lovell S, De Guzman R. The crystal structures of the Salmonella type III secretion system tip protein SipD in complex with deoxycholate and chenodeoxycholate. Protein Sci. 2011;20:75-86 pubmed publisher..We discuss the biological implication of the differences in how bile salts interact with SipD and IpaD. ..
- Li H, Mapolelo D, Randeniya S, Johnson M, Outten C. Human glutaredoxin 3 forms [2Fe-2S]-bridged complexes with human BolA2. Biochemistry. 2012;51:1687-96 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that the unusual [2Fe-2S]-bridging Grx-BolA interaction is conserved in higher eukaryotes and may play a role in signaling cellular iron status in humans. ..
- Markowitz J, Mal T, Yuan C, Courtney N, Patel M, Stiff A, et al. Structural characterization of NRAS isoform 5. Protein Sci. 2016;25:1069-74 pubmed publisher..The isoform is highly flexible in aqueous solution, but forms a helix-turn-coil structure in the presence of trifluoroethanol as determined by NMR and CD spectroscopy. ..
- Carr D, Hausken Z, Fraser I, Stofko Hahn R, Scott J. Association of the type II cAMP-dependent protein kinase with a human thyroid RII-anchoring protein. Cloning and characterization of the RII-binding domain. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:13376-82 pubmed..The nanomolar affinity constant and the different patterns of RII-anchoring proteins in each tissue suggest that the type II alpha PKA holoenzyme may be specifically targeted to different locations in each type of cell. ..
- Jentoft J, Smith L, Fu X, Johnson M, Leis J. Conserved cysteine and histidine residues of the avian myeloblastosis virus nucleocapsid protein are essential for viral replication but are not "zinc-binding fingers". Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:7094-8 pubmed
- Zhu H, Yu J, Kindy M. Inhibition of amyloidosis using low-molecular-weight heparins. Mol Med. 2001;7:517-22 pubmed..Our findings suggest that the LMWHs may provide beneficial effects against the development of amyloidoses, including Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Brouillette C, Dong W, Yang Z, Ray M, Protasevich I, Cheung H, et al. Förster resonance energy transfer measurements are consistent with a helical bundle model for lipid-free apolipoprotein A-I. Biochemistry. 2005;44:16413-25 pubmed..The results are consistent with the presence of a single folded domain within residues 1-186. These results support the presence of a discrete globular bundle conformation for lipid-free apo A-I. ..
- Bergeron R, Xin M, Weimar W, Smith R, Wiegand J. Significance of asymmetric sites in choosing siderophores as deferration agents. J Med Chem. 2001;44:2469-78 pubmed..Thus, by altering the stereochemistry of certain microbial siderophores, it is possible to generate deferration agents that are still effective at clearing iron from animals, yet do not promote microbial growth. ..
- Edmondson S, Kahsai M, Gupta R, Shriver J. Characterization of Sac10a, a hyperthermophile DNA-binding protein from Sulfolobus acidocaldarius. Biochemistry. 2004;43:13026-36 pubmed..Sac10a shows no sequence similarity to the other Sulfolobus chromatin proteins Sac7d, Sac8, Sso10b2, and Alba...
- Koksal A, Nardozzi J, Cingolani G. Dimeric quaternary structure of the prototypical dual specificity phosphatase VH1. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:10129-37 pubmed publisher..We propose that the dimeric quaternary structure of VH1 is essential for specific recognition of activated STAT1, which prevents its nuclear translocation, thus blocking interferon-gamma signal transduction and antiviral response. ..
- Subramaniam R, Fan X, Scivittaro V, Yang J, Ha C, Petersen C, et al. Cellular oxidant stress and advanced glycation endproducts of albumin: caveats of the dichlorofluorescein assay. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002;400:15-25 pubmed
- Hoff K, Culler S, Nguyen P, McGuire R, Silberg J, Smolke C. In vivo fluorescent detection of Fe-S clusters coordinated by human GRX2. Chem Biol. 2009;16:1299-308 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence that glutaredoxins can dimerize within mammalian cells through coordination of a 2Fe2S cluster as observed with purified recombinant proteins. ..
- Dange M, Colman R. Each conserved active site tyr in the three subunits of human isocitrate dehydrogenase has a different function. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:20520-5 pubmed publisher..The gammaY135 is also required for catalytic activity and may be involved in proper folding of the enzyme. The corresponding tyrosines in the three dissimilar subunits of NAD-IDH thus have distinctive functions. ..
- Wu S, Bellei M, Mansy S, Battistuzzi G, Sola M, Cowan J. Redox chemistry of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe ferredoxin electron-transfer domain and influence of Cys to Ser substitutions. J Inorg Biochem. 2011;105:806-11 pubmed publisher..The data are consistent with relatively minor perturbations of both the electronic properties of the cluster following substitution of the Fe-bond S atom with O, and the electronic coupling of the cluster to the protein. ..
- Lee Y, Mick J, Furdui C, Beamer L. A coevolutionary residue network at the site of a functionally important conformational change in a phosphohexomutase enzyme family. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38114 pubmed publisher..This work adds to our understanding of the functional roles of coevolving residue networks, and has implications for the definition of catalytically important residues. ..
- Brittain H. Applications of chiroptical spectroscopy for the characterization of pharmaceutical compounds. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1998;17:933-40 pubmed..The principles underlying each effect will be briefly outlined, and the application of each illustrated through the inclusion of appropriate examples. ..
- Barrett B, Picking W, Picking W, Middaugh C. The response of type three secretion system needle proteins MxiHDelta5, BsaLDelta5, and PrgIDelta5 to temperature and pH. Proteins. 2008;73:632-43 pubmed publisher..It is proposed that the formation of these intermediate states in the physiological temperature range may play a role in passage through the pore and needle assembly. ..
- Moore S, Prevelige P. Structural transformations accompanying the assembly of bacteriophage P22 portal protein rings in vitro. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:6779-88 pubmed..In conjunction with previously obtained data on the behavior of the P22 portal protein, we propose an assembly model for P22 portal rings that involves a meta-stable monomeric subunit...
- Kale S, Ulas G, Song J, Brudvig G, Furey W, Jordan F. Efficient coupling of catalysis and dynamics in the E1 component of Escherichia coli pyruvate dehydrogenase multienzyme complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:1158-63 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with, and reinforce the hypothesis of, coupling of catalysis and regulation with enzyme dynamics and suggest the mechanism by which it is achieved in a key branchpoint enzyme in sugar metabolism. ..
- Kamlekar R, Gao Y, Kenoth R, Molotkovsky J, Prendergast F, Malinina L, et al. Human GLTP: Three distinct functions for the three tryptophans in a novel peripheral amphitropic fold. Biophys J. 2010;99:2626-35 pubmed publisher..The findings illustrate remarkable versatility for Trp, providing three distinct intramolecular functions in the novel amphitropic GLTP fold. ..
- Yi H, Gruszczynska Biegala J, Wood D, Zhao Z, Zolkiewska A. Cooperation of the metalloprotease, disintegrin, and cysteine-rich domains of ADAM12 during inhibition of myogenic differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:23475-83 pubmed..Thus, the novel protein-protein interaction reported here involving the extracellular domain of ADAM12 may have important biological consequences during myoblast differentiation. ..
- Mansour H, Damodaran S, Zografi G. Characterization of the in situ structural and interfacial properties of the cationic hydrophobic heteropolypeptide, KL4, in lung surfactant bilayer and monolayer models at the air-water interface: implications for pulmonary surfactant delivery. Mol Pharm. 2008;5:681-95 pubmed publisher..In POPG/KL 4 monolayers, KL 4 exhibits an increase in aperiodic secondary structures (loss of beta-sheet) to maximize favorable electrostatic interactions, consistent with the observed negative deviations from ideal monolayer mixing. ..
- Bandara D, Sono M, Bruce G, Brash A, Dawson J. Coordination modes of tyrosinate-ligated catalase-type heme enzymes: magnetic circular dichroism studies of Plexaura homomalla allene oxide synthase, Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis protein-2744c, and bovine liver catalase in their ferric a. J Inorg Biochem. 2011;105:1786-94 pubmed publisher
- Narizhneva N, Byers Ward V, Quinn M, Zidar F, Plow E, Topol E, et al. Molecular and functional differences induced in thrombospondin-1 by the single nucleotide polymorphism associated with the risk of premature, familial myocardial infarction. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:21651-7 pubmed..These data suggest a potential molecular and cellular basis for a genetic risk factor associated with early onset myocardial infarction. ..
- Schonhoft J, Bajracharya R, Dhakal S, Yu Z, Mao H, Basu S. Direct experimental evidence for quadruplex-quadruplex interaction within the human ILPR. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:3310-20 pubmed publisher..There have been very few experimental reports on multiple G-quadruplex-forming sequences and this report provides direct experimental evidence for the existence of a QQI between two contiguous G-quadruplexes in the ILPR. ..
- Srinivasan S, Patke S, Wang Y, Ye Z, Litt J, Srivastava S, et al. Pathogenic serum amyloid A 1.1 shows a long oligomer-rich fibrillation lag phase contrary to the highly amyloidogenic non-pathogenic SAA2.2. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:2744-55 pubmed publisher..1 and SAA2.2, more than their intrinsic amyloidogenicity, may contribute to their diverse pathogenicity. ..
- Zare H, Moosavi Movahedi A, Salami M, Sheibani N, Khajeh K, Habibi Rezaei M. Autolysis control and structural changes of purified ficin from Iranian fig latex with synthetic inhibitors. Int J Biol Macromol. 2016;84:464-71 pubmed publisher..The ficin structural changes with two synthetic inhibitors were associated with secondary structural changes related to decreased alpha-helix and increased beta sheet and random coil conformations, contributing to its aggregation. ..
- Xie J, Adams L, Zhao J, Gerken T, Davis P, Ma J. A short segment of the R domain of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator contains channel stimulatory and inhibitory activities that are separable by sequence modification. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:23019-27 pubmed..We speculate that the NEG2 region interacts with other cytosolic domains of CFTR to control opening and closing transitions of the chloride channel. ..
- Sutherland J. Measuring fluorescence polarization with a dichrometer. Anal Biochem. 2017;532:9-11 pubmed publisher..A similar analysis with the detector located axially with the excitation beam demonstrates that there is no frequency modulated signal due to fluorescence polarization in the absence of a polarizer. ..
- Bai P, Peng Z. Cooperative folding of the isolated alpha-helical domain of hen egg-white lysozyme. J Mol Biol. 2001;314:321-9 pubmed
- Nguyen T, Riggs C, Babovic Vuksanovic D, Kim Y, Carpenter J, Burghardt T, et al. Purification and characterization of two polymorphic variants of short chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase reveal reduction of catalytic activity and stability of the Gly185Ser enzyme. Biochemistry. 2002;41:11126-33 pubmed..The common SCAD polymorphisms may lead to clinically relevant alterations in enzyme function. ..
- Perera R, Sono M, Sigman J, Pfister T, Lu Y, Dawson J. Neutral thiol as a proximal ligand to ferrous heme iron: implications for heme proteins that lose cysteine thiolate ligation on reduction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:3641-6 pubmed..This study establishes that neutral cysteine can serve as a ligand in ferrous heme iron proteins, and that ferric cysteinate-ligated heme proteins that fail to retain such ligation on reduction may simply be ligated by neutral cysteine. ..