Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on circadian rhythm in Switzerland
Topic: circadian rhythm
- Blum J, Bruckmaier R, Vacher P, Munger A, Jans F. Twenty-four-hour patterns of hormones and metabolites in week 9 and 19 of lactation in high-yielding dairy cows fed triglycerides and free fatty acids. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2000;47:43-60 pubmed
- Maurer M, Riesen W, Muser J, Hulter H, Krapf R. Neutralization of Western diet inhibits bone resorption independently of K intake and reduces cortisol secretion in humans. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003;284:F32-40 pubmed..Acidosis-induced increases in cortisol secretion and plasma concentration may play a role in mild acidosis-induced alterations in bone metabolism and possibly in osteoporosis associated with an acidogenic Western diet. ..
- Nussbaumer Ochsner Y, Schuepfer N, Ulrich S, Bloch K. Exacerbation of sleep apnoea by frequent central events in patients with the obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome at altitude: a randomised trial. Thorax. 2010;65:429-35 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for counselling and treating patients with OSA planning to travel to high altitude. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00514826. ..
- Brown S, Schmitt K, Eckert A. Aging and circadian disruption: causes and effects. Aging (Albany NY). 2011;3:813-7 pubmed..For the latter case, recent research suggests that changes to both homeostatic and circadian sleep regulatory mechanisms may play a role. Could hormonal changes be in part responsible? ..
- Zeeman S, Smith S, Smith A. The diurnal metabolism of leaf starch. Biochem J. 2007;401:13-28 pubmed..In the present review we provide an overview of starch biosynthesis, starch structure and starch degradation in the leaves of plants. We focus on recent advances in each area and highlight outstanding questions. ..
- Cajochen C, Krauchi K, Wirz Justice A. Role of melatonin in the regulation of human circadian rhythms and sleep. J Neuroendocrinol. 2003;15:432-7 pubmed..We describe the role of melatonin in the regulation of sleep, and the use of exogenous melatonin to treat sleep or circadian rhythm disorders. ..
- Pizza F, Biallas M, Wolf M, Werth E, Bassetti C. Nocturnal cerebral hemodynamics in snorers and in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: a near-infrared spectroscopy study. Sleep. 2010;33:205-10 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that acute cerebral hemodynamic consequences of SDB lead to a failure of autoregulatory mechanisms with brain hypoxia only in the presence of frequent apneas (AHI > 30) and obstructive events. ..
- von Kanel R, Natarajan L, Ancoli Israel S, Mills P, Loredo J, Dimsdale J. Day/Night rhythm of hemostatic factors in obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep. 2010;33:371-7 pubmed..The findings provide some evidence for a prothrombotic state in OSA, but were only partially independent of metabolic variables. ..
- Franken P, Dijk D. Circadian clock genes and sleep homeostasis. Eur J Neurosci. 2009;29:1820-9 pubmed publisher..The data underscore the interrelationships between energy metabolism, circadian rhythmicity, and sleep regulation. ..
- Cozzi G, Broekhuis F, McNutt J, Turnbull L, Macdonald D, Schmid B. Fear of the dark or dinner by moonlight? Reduced temporal partitioning among Africa's large carnivores. Ecology. 2012;93:2590-9 pubmed..We suggest that they are "starvation driven" and must exploit every opportunity to obtain a meal. The benefits of activity on moonlit nights therefore offset the risks of encountering night-active predators and competitors. ..
- Wuarin J, Schibler U. Expression of the liver-enriched transcriptional activator protein DBP follows a stringent circadian rhythm. Cell. 1990;63:1257-66 pubmed..In keeping with the rhythmicity of DBP accumulation, the albumin gene, a putative target of DBP, is transcribed more efficiently in the evening than in the morning. ..
- Falvey E, Fleury Olela F, Schibler U. The rat hepatic leukemia factor (HLF) gene encodes two transcriptional activators with distinct circadian rhythms, tissue distributions and target preferences. EMBO J. 1995;14:4307-17 pubmed..Thus, HLF43 stimulates transcription from the cholesterol 7 alpha-hydroxylase promoter much more efficiently than from the albumin promoter, while the converse is true for HLF36. ..
- Vyazovskiy V, Kopp C, Wigger E, Jones M, Simpson E, Tobler I. Sleep and rest regulation in young and old oestrogen-deficient female mice. J Neuroendocrinol. 2006;18:567-76 pubmed..The results indicate that despite the pronounced redistribution of sleep and motor activity in oestrogen deficient mice, the basic homeostatic mechanisms of sleep regulation in ArKO mice remain intact. ..
- Dettling A, Schnell C, Maier C, Feldon J, Pryce C. Behavioral and physiological effects of an infant-neglect manipulation in a bi-parental, twinning primate: impact is dependent on familial factors. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2007;32:331-49 pubmed..This study provides evidence for long-term effects of early environment on bio-behavioral traits and states in marmosets specifically, and the importance of including parental factors in developmental studies in mammals generally. ..
- Reinke H, Saini C, Fleury Olela F, Dibner C, Benjamin I, Schibler U. Differential display of DNA-binding proteins reveals heat-shock factor 1 as a circadian transcription factor. Genes Dev. 2008;22:331-45 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggest that the new screening method DDDP is not limited to the identification of circadian transcription factors but can be applied to discover novel transcriptional regulators in various biological systems. ..
- Nater U, Hoppmann C, Klumb P. Neuroticism and conscientiousness are associated with cortisol diurnal profiles in adults--role of positive and negative affect. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2010;35:1573-7 pubmed publisher..No such association emerged for N. Our findings might further elucidate the role of personality in HPA axis regulation and improve our understanding of the association of endocrine states and health outcomes. ..
- Brack T, Thuer I, Clarenbach C, Senn O, Noll G, Russi E, et al. Daytime Cheyne-Stokes respiration in ambulatory patients with severe congestive heart failure is associated with increased mortality. Chest. 2007;132:1463-71 pubmed..Daytime CSR supposedly poses an even greater risk, but its prevalence and prognostic importance remain elusive. Therefore, we investigated the circadian prevalence of CSR and its influence on survival in patients with heart failure...
- Sudano I, Flammer A, Périat D, Enseleit F, Hermann M, Wolfrum M, et al. Acetaminophen increases blood pressure in patients with coronary artery disease. Circulation. 2010;122:1789-96 pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00534651. ..
- Gachon F, Leuenberger N, Claudel T, Gos P, Jouffe C, Fleury Olela F, et al. Proline- and acidic amino acid-rich basic leucine zipper proteins modulate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPARalpha) activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:4794-9 pubmed publisher..In turn, the fatty acids act as ligands for PPAR?, and the activated PPAR? receptor then stimulates the transcription of genes encoding proteins involved in the uptake and/or metabolism of lipids, cholesterol, and glucose metabolism. ..
- Mauvoisin D, Wang J, Jouffe C, Martin E, Atger F, Waridel P, et al. Circadian clock-dependent and -independent rhythmic proteomes implement distinct diurnal functions in mouse liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:167-72 pubmed publisher..Also, these rhythms persisted in clock-deficient animals subjected to rhythmic feeding, suggesting that food-related entrainment signals influence rhythms in circulating plasma factors. ..
- Tafti M, Maret S, Dauvilliers Y. Genes for normal sleep and sleep disorders. Ann Med. 2005;37:580-9 pubmed..We review here the current progress in the genetics of normal and pathological sleep. ..
- Grundschober C, Delaunay F, Pühlhofer A, Triqueneaux G, Laudet V, Bartfai T, et al. Circadian regulation of diverse gene products revealed by mRNA expression profiling of synchronized fibroblasts. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:46751-8 pubmed..We have classified these circadian genes in seven clusters according to their phase of cycling. Our pathway analysis of the mRNA profiling data strongly suggests a direct link between circadian rhythm and cell cycle. ..
- Maestroni G, Conti A. Melatonin and the immune-hematopoietic system therapeutic and adverse pharmacological correlates. Neuroimmunomodulation. 1996;3:325-32 pubmed..In conclusion, melatonin seems to be an important immunomodulatory hormone which deserves to be further studied to identify its relevance in immune-based diseases, its therapeutic indications and its adverse effects...
- Kopp C, Albrecht U, Zheng B, Tobler I. Homeostatic sleep regulation is preserved in mPer1 and mPer2 mutant mice. Eur J Neurosci. 2002;16:1099-106 pubmed..The results provide further evidence for the independence of the circadian and the homeostatic components underlying sleep regulation. ..
- Galsworthy M, Amrein I, Kuptsov P, Poletaeva I, Zinn P, Rau A, et al. A comparison of wild-caught wood mice and bank voles in the Intellicage: assessing exploration, daily activity patterns and place learning paradigms. Behav Brain Res. 2005;157:211-7 pubmed
- Asher G, Schibler U. A CLOCK-less clock. Trends Cell Biol. 2006;16:547-9 pubmed..However, recent experiments by Reppert and coworkers with Clock knockout mice suggest that CLOCK is dispensable for rhythmic gene expression and behavior, presumably because other proteins can substitute for CLOCK in these animals. ..
- Ripperger J, Shearman L, Reppert S, Schibler U. CLOCK, an essential pacemaker component, controls expression of the circadian transcription factor DBP. Genes Dev. 2000;14:679-89 pubmed..Hence, the same molecular mechanisms generating circadian oscillations in the expression of clock genes may directly control the rhythmic transcription of clock output regulators such as Dbp. ..
- Pierpaoli W. Cancer and the endogenous "pineal clock": a means of early diagnosis and successful treatment as well as prevention of cancers. Curr Aging Sci. 2013;6:108-14 pubmed..For the cyclic synthesis of malignancies that are metastasized, a means of xenogeneic bone marrow transplantation is proposed as an alternative therapeutic approach. ..
- Saini C, Morf J, Stratmann M, Gos P, Schibler U. Simulated body temperature rhythms reveal the phase-shifting behavior and plasticity of mammalian circadian oscillators. Genes Dev. 2012;26:567-80 pubmed publisher..As revealed by genetic loss-of-function experiments, heat-shock factor 1 (HSF1), but not HSF2, was required for the efficient synchronization of fibroblast oscillators to simulated body temperature cycles. ..
- Balsalobre A, Damiola F, Schibler U. A serum shock induces circadian gene expression in mammalian tissue culture cells. Cell. 1998;93:929-37 pubmed..The serum shock of rat-1 fibroblasts also results in a transient stimulation of c-fos and rper expression and thus mimics light-induced immediate-early gene expression in the suprachiasmatic nucleus. ..
- Chilov D, Hofer T, Bauer C, Wenger R, Gassmann M. Hypoxia affects expression of circadian genes PER1 and CLOCK in mouse brain. FASEB J. 2001;15:2613-22 pubmed..Chilov, D., Hofer, T., Bauer, C., Wenger, R. H., Gassmann, M. Hypoxia affects expression of circadian genes PER1 and CLOCK in mouse brain. ..
- Gachon F, Fonjallaz P, Damiola F, Gos P, Kodama T, Zakany J, et al. The loss of circadian PAR bZip transcription factors results in epilepsy. Genes Dev. 2004;18:1397-412 pubmed..This could explain why the circadian oscillator has evolved to generate only low-amplitude cycles in most brain regions. ..
- Heintzen C, Nater M, Apel K, Staiger D. AtGRP7, a nuclear RNA-binding protein as a component of a circadian-regulated negative feedback loop in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:8515-20 pubmed
- Ochsenbein C, Przybyla D, Danon A, Landgraf F, Gobel C, Imboden A, et al. The role of EDS1 (enhanced disease susceptibility) during singlet oxygen-mediated stress responses of Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2006;47:445-56 pubmed..This program includes not only responses to oxidative stress, but also responses known to be activated during plant-pathogen interactions and wounding. ..
- Hintermann E, Grieder N, Amherd R, Brodbeck D, Meyer U. Cloning of an arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase (aaNAT1) from Drosophila melanogaster expressed in the nervous system and the gut. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:12315-20 pubmed..The data suggest that tissue-specific regulation of aaNAT1 may be associated with different enzymatic functions and do not exclude the possibility of additional aaNAT genes. ..
- Ripperger J. The rhythms of life. Genome Biol. 2007;8:313 pubmed
- Röösli M, Juni P, Braun Fahrlander C, Brinkhof M, Low N, Egger M. Sleepless night, the moon is bright: longitudinal study of lunar phase and sleep. J Sleep Res. 2006;15:149-53 pubmed..027) at full moon. The study was designed for other purposes and the association between lunar cycle and sleep duration will need to be confirmed in further studies. ..
- Mechan A, Wyss A, Rieger H, Mohajeri M. A comparison of learning and memory characteristics of young and middle-aged wild-type mice in the IntelliCage. J Neurosci Methods. 2009;180:43-51 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the data reported here represent a step towards optimised cognitive test protocols when comparing young and middle-aged mice. ..
- Viswambharan H, Carvas J, Antic V, Marecic A, Jud C, Zaugg C, et al. Mutation of the circadian clock gene Per2 alters vascular endothelial function. Circulation. 2007;115:2188-95 pubmed..The results suggest an important role of the Per2 gene in maintenance of normal cardiovascular functions. ..
- Fonjallaz P, Ossipow V, Wanner G, Schibler U. The two PAR leucine zipper proteins, TEF and DBP, display similar circadian and tissue-specific expression, but have different target promoter preferences. EMBO J. 1996;15:351-62 pubmed..Our results suggest that the promoter environment, rather than the affinity with which PAR proteins recognize their cognate DNA sequences in vitro, determines the promoter preferences of TEF and DBP. ..
- Lavery D, Lopez Molina L, Margueron R, Fleury Olela F, Conquet F, Schibler U, et al. Circadian expression of the steroid 15 alpha-hydroxylase (Cyp2a4) and coumarin 7-hydroxylase (Cyp2a5) genes in mouse liver is regulated by the PAR leucine zipper transcription factor DBP. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:6488-99 pubmed..These experiments strongly suggest that DBP is a major factor controlling circadian expression of the Cyp2a4 and Cyp2a5 genes in the mouse liver. ..
- Franken P, Lopez Molina L, Marcacci L, Schibler U, Tafti M. The transcription factor DBP affects circadian sleep consolidation and rhythmic EEG activity. J Neurosci. 2000;20:617-25 pubmed..In contrast, the rebound in paradoxical sleep was significant in dbp+/+ mice only. It is concluded that the transcriptional regulatory protein DBP modulates circadian and homeostatic aspects of sleep regulation. ..
- Curie T, Mongrain V, Dorsaz S, Mang G, Emmenegger Y, Franken P. Homeostatic and circadian contribution to EEG and molecular state variables of sleep regulation. Sleep. 2013;36:311-23 pubmed publisher..Curie T; Mongrain V; Dorsaz S; Mang GM; Emmenegger Y; Franken P. Homeostatic and circadian contribution to EEG and molecular state variables of sleep regulation. SLEEP 2013;36(3):311-323. ..
- Ripperger J, Schibler U. Circadian regulation of gene expression in animals. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2001;13:357-62 pubmed..In mammals, a master pacemaker localized in the suprachiasmatic nucleus synchronizes peripheral clocks via humoral cues. However, restricted feeding can uncouple peripheral oscillators from the suprachiasmatic pacemaker. ..
- Morf J, Rey G, Schneider K, Stratmann M, Fujita J, Naef F, et al. Cold-inducible RNA-binding protein modulates circadian gene expression posttranscriptionally. Science. 2012;338:379-83 pubmed publisher..Because ectopic expression of CLOCK improved circadian gene expression in these cells, we surmise that CIRP confers robustness to circadian oscillators through regulation of CLOCK expression. ..
- Tsai D, Riediker M, Wuerzner G, Maillard M, Marques Vidal P, Paccaud F, et al. Short-term increase in particulate matter blunts nocturnal blood pressure dipping and daytime urinary sodium excretion. Hypertension. 2012;60:1061-9 pubmed publisher..The underlying mechanism linking air pollution to increased cardiovascular risk may include disturbed circadian rhythms of renal sodium handling and blood pressure...
- Brodbeck D, Amherd R, Callaerts P, Hintermann E, Meyer U, Affolter M. Molecular and biochemical characterization of the aaNAT1 (Dat) locus in Drosophila melanogaster: differential expression of two gene products. DNA Cell Biol. 1998;17:621-33 pubmed..The differing levels of abundance and distinct developmental control of AANAT1a and AANAT1b suggest different in vivo functions for these two enzymes. ..
- Oggier D, Lenard A, Kury M, Hoeger B, Affolter M, Fent K. Effects of the protein kinase inhibitor PKC412 on gene expression and link to physiological effects in zebrafish Danio rerio eleuthero-embryos. Toxicol Sci. 2011;119:104-15 pubmed publisher..This study leads to the conclusion that PKC412-induced alterations of gene transcripts are partly paralleled by physiological effects at high, but not at low PKC412 concentrations expected to be of environmental relevance. ..
- Cavadini G, Petrzilka S, Kohler P, Jud C, Tobler I, Birchler T, et al. TNF-alpha suppresses the expression of clock genes by interfering with E-box-mediated transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12843-8 pubmed..We suggest that the increase of TNF-alpha and IL-1beta, as seen in infectious and autoimmune diseases, impairs clock gene functions and causes fatigue. ..
- Nørgaard T, Henschel J, Wehner R. The night-time temporal window of locomotor activity in the Namib Desert long-distance wandering spider, Leucorchestris arenicola. J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol. 2006;192:365-72 pubmed..We further show that they are able to navigate under the very dim light conditions prevailing on moonless nights, and thus do not have to rely on the moon or on moon-related patterns of polarised light as potential compass cues. ..
- Biber J, Hernando N, Forster I, Murer H. Regulation of phosphate transport in proximal tubules. Pflugers Arch. 2009;458:39-52 pubmed publisher..The regulatory mechanisms involve various signaling pathways and a number of proteins that interact with Na(+)/P(i) cotransporters. ..
- Tigges M, Marquez Lago T, Stelling J, Fussenegger M. A tunable synthetic mammalian oscillator. Nature. 2009;457:309-12 pubmed publisher..The synthetic mammalian clock may provide an insight into the dynamics of natural periodic processes and foster advances in the design of prosthetic networks in future gene and cell therapies. ..
- Brown S, Ripperger J, Kadener S, Fleury Olela F, Vilbois F, Rosbash M, et al. PERIOD1-associated proteins modulate the negative limb of the mammalian circadian oscillator. Science. 2005;308:693-6 pubmed..WDR5, a subunit of histone methyltransferase complexes, augmented PER-mediated transcriptional repression, and its reduction by RNAi diminished circadian histone methylations at the promoter of a clock gene. ..
- Mansuy V, Risold P, Glauser M, Fraichard A, Pralong F. Expression of the GABAA receptor associated protein Gec1 is circadian and dependent upon the cellular clock machinery in GnRH secreting GnV-3 cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;307:68-76 pubmed publisher..Overall, they provide a potential mechanism for the circadian regulation of GnRH secretion by GABA, and may also be relevant to the general understanding of circadian rhythms. ..