Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cilia in United States
Locale: United States
Publications159 found, 100 shown here
- Bishop G, Berbari N, Lewis J, Mykytyn K. Type III adenylyl cyclase localizes to primary cilia throughout the adult mouse brain. J Comp Neurol. 2007;505:562-71 pubmed..Overall, our data indicate that ACIII is a prominent marker of primary cilia in the brain and will provide an important tool to facilitate further investigations into the functions of these organelles. ..
- DiPetrillo C, Smith E. Calcium regulation of ciliary motility analysis of axonemal calcium-binding proteins. Methods Cell Biol. 2009;92:163-80 pubmed publisher..Here, we review our current understanding of calcium regulation of motility, emphasizing recent advances in the detection and characterization of calcium-binding proteins anchored to the axoneme. ..
- Wier A, Sacchi L, Dolan M, Bandi C, Macallister J, Margulis L. Spirochete attachment ultrastructure: Implications for the origin and evolution of cilia. Biol Bull. 2010;218:25-35 pubmed..The attached hypertrophied structures, some of which resemble ciliate kinetids, are found consistently at sites where the spirochete termini contact the protist plasma membranes. ..
- Huss D, Navaluri R, Faulkner K, Dickman J. Development of otolith receptors in Japanese quail. Dev Neurobiol. 2010;70:436-55 pubmed publisher..Calyx fibers were the least complex, followed by dimorph units. Bouton fibers had large innervation fields, with arborous branches and many terminal boutons. ..
- Resnick A. Use of optical tweezers to probe epithelial mechanosensation. J Biomed Opt. 2010;15:015005 pubmed publisher..These results lend support to the hypothesis that the primary cilium mediates transduction of mechanical strain into a biochemical response in renal epithelia. ..
- Talbot P, DiCarlantonio G, Knoll M, Gomez C. Identification of cigarette smoke components that alter functioning of hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) oviducts in vitro. Biol Reprod. 1998;58:1047-53 pubmed
- Tran P, Haycraft C, Besschetnova T, Turbe Doan A, Stottmann R, Herron B, et al. THM1 negatively modulates mouse sonic hedgehog signal transduction and affects retrograde intraflagellar transport in cilia. Nat Genet. 2008;40:403-410 pubmed publisher..Specifically, the aln mutation uncouples the roles of anterograde and retrograde transport in SHH signaling, suggesting that anterograde IFT is required for GLI activation and that retrograde IFT modulates this event. ..
- Toriyama M, Toriyama M, Wallingford J, Finnell R. Folate-dependent methylation of septins governs ciliogenesis during neural tube closure. FASEB J. 2017;31:3622-3635 pubmed publisher..Toriyama, M., Toriyama, M., Wallingford, J. B., Finnell, R. H. Folate-dependent methylation of septins governs ciliogenesis during neural tube closure. ..
- Agu R, Vu Dang H, Jorissen M, Kinget R, Verbeke N. Metabolism and absorption enhancement of methionine enkephalin in human nasal epithelium. Peptides. 2004;25:563-9 pubmed..Perturbation of the epithelial tight junctions seen in vitro may not occur in vivo due to mucus protection and mucociliary clearance. ..
- Yamamoto R, Obbineni J, Alford L, Ide T, Owa M, Hwang J, et al. Chlamydomonas DYX1C1/PF23 is essential for axonemal assembly and proper morphology of inner dynein arms. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006996 pubmed publisher..The role of PF23/DYX1C1 remains unknown, but we suggest that DYX1C1 could provide a scaffold for macromolecular assembly. ..
- Vandenberg L, Levin M. Polarity proteins are required for left-right axis orientation and twin-twin instruction. Genesis. 2012;50:219-34 pubmed publisher..genesis 50:219-234, 2012. © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Gilley S, Stenbit A, Pasek R, Sas K, Steele S, Amria M, et al. Deletion of airway cilia results in noninflammatory bronchiectasis and hyperreactive airways. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2014;306:L162-9 pubmed publisher..This monocilium is a prerequisite for these progenitor cells to transition into respiratory epithelial cells. In conclusion, motile cilia may play an important role in controlling airway structure and function. ..
- Xia L, Hai B, Gao Y, Burnette D, Thazhath R, Duan J, et al. Polyglycylation of tubulin is essential and affects cell motility and division in Tetrahymena thermophila. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:1097-106 pubmed
- Plesec T, Ruiz A, McMahon J, Prayson R. Ultrastructural abnormalities of respiratory cilia: a 25-year experience. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008;132:1786-91 pubmed publisher..Less-frequent abnormal findings included compound cilia, supernumerary microtubules, and dense granular basal body inclusions. ..
- Young Y, Downs M, Jacobs C. Dynamics of the primary cilium in shear flow. Biophys J. 2012;103:629-39 pubmed publisher..These results potentially shed light on the physics underlying the mechanosensitive ion channel transport through the ciliary membrane. ..
- Musah S, Chen J, Hoyle G. Repair of tracheal epithelium by basal cells after chlorine-induced injury. Respir Res. 2012;13:107 pubmed publisher..These studies establish a model for understanding regenerative processes in the respiratory epithelium useful for testing therapies for airway injury. ..
- Haycraft C, Serra R. Cilia involvement in patterning and maintenance of the skeleton. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2008;85:303-32 pubmed publisher..In this article we describe what is currently known about the localization of cilia in the skeleton as well as the roles and underlying molecular mechanisms of cilia in skeletal development. ..
- Taulman P, Haycraft C, Balkovetz D, Yoder B. Polaris, a protein involved in left-right axis patterning, localizes to basal bodies and cilia. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:589-99 pubmed
- Brown N, Murcia N. Delayed cystogenesis and increased ciliogenesis associated with the re-expression of polaris in Tg737 mutant mice. Kidney Int. 2003;63:1220-9 pubmed..Scanning electron microscopy was utilized to observe and measure cilia expression in cysts from orpk, orpk rescue, and KO rescue animals...
- Sever D, Freeborn L. Observations on the anterior testicular ducts in snakes with emphasis on sea snakes and ultrastructure in the yellow-bellied sea snake, Pelamis platurus. J Morphol. 2012;273:324-36 pubmed publisher..Our results contribute to a larger, collaborative study of the evolution of the squamate reproductive tract and to the potential for utilizing cellular characters in future phylogenetic inferences. ..
- Banizs B, Komlosi P, Bevensee M, Schwiebert E, Bell P, Yoder B. Altered pH(i) regulation and Na(+)/HCO3(-) transporter activity in choroid plexus of cilia-defective Tg737(orpk) mutant mouse. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;292:C1409-16 pubmed
- Guo J, Otis J, Higginbotham H, Monckton C, Cheng J, Asokan A, et al. Primary Cilia Signaling Shapes the Development of Interneuronal Connectivity. Dev Cell. 2017;42:286-300.e4 pubmed publisher..Our results thus define a specific requirement for primary cilia-mediated GPCR signaling in interneuronal connectivity and inhibitory circuit formation. ..
- Brown J, Fine N, Pandiyan G, Thazhath R, Gaertig J. Hypoxia regulates assembly of cilia in suppressors of Tetrahymena lacking an intraflagellar transport subunit gene. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3192-207 pubmed..Thus, at least under certain conditions, ciliary assembly is affected by an extracellular signal and the Ift52p function may be integrated into signaling pathways that regulate ciliogenesis. ..
- Baek J, Kwon S, Zuo X, Choi S, Kim S, Lipschutz J. Dynamin Binding Protein (Tuba) Deficiency Inhibits Ciliogenesis and Nephrogenesis in Vitro and in Vivo. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:8632-43 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that Tuba deficiency causes an abnormal renal ciliary and morphogenetic phenotype. Tuba most likely plays a critical role in ciliogenesis and nephrogenesis by regulating Cdc42 activity. ..
- Tian G, Ropelewski P, Nemet I, Lee R, Lodowski K, Imanishi Y. An unconventional secretory pathway mediates the cilia targeting of peripherin/rds. J Neurosci. 2014;34:992-1006 pubmed publisher..Because rhodopsin is known to traffic through conventional secretion, this study of P/rds suggests that both conventional secretion and unconventional secretion need to cooperate for the renewal of the photoreceptor sensory cilium. ..
- Barr M. Caenorhabditis elegans as a model to study renal development and disease: sexy cilia. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:305-12 pubmed..The goal of this review is to explain how C. elegans has provided insight into cilia development, cilia function, and human cystic kidney diseases. ..
- Smith E, Rohatgi R. Cilia 2010: the surprise organelle of the decade. Sci Signal. 2011;4:mr1 pubmed publisher..Presentations at the 2010 Conference on the Biology of Cilia and Flagella revealed new insights into the functions and assembly of cilia and highlighted their ever-expanding roles in development and disease. ..
- Wei Q, Xu Q, Zhang Y, Li Y, Zhang Q, Hu Z, et al. Transition fibre protein FBF1 is required for the ciliary entry of assembled intraflagellar transport complexes. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2750 pubmed publisher..We conclude that FBF1 is a key functional transition fibre component that actively facilitates the ciliary entry of assembled IFT machinery...
- Jakowski J, Lucas J, Seth S, Frankel W. Ciliated hepatic foregut cyst: a rare but increasingly reported liver cyst. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2004;8:342-6 pubmed..Therefore, pathologic evaluation was necessary for the correct diagnosis of this liver lesion and to exclude malignancy. ..
- Kolb R, Nauli S. Ciliary dysfunction in polycystic kidney disease: an emerging model with polarizing potential. Front Biosci. 2008;13:4451-66 pubmed..The polycystins and fibrocystin localization at the cilium and other subcellular localizations are discussed, followed by a hypothetical model for the cilium's role in mechanosensing, planar cell polarity, and cystogenesis. ..
- Masyuk A, Masyuk T, Larusso N. Cholangiocyte primary cilia in liver health and disease. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2007-12 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the functions of cholangiocyte primary cilia, their role in the cholangiociliopathies, and potential therapeutic approaches. ..
- Nishiyama K, Sakaguchi H, Hu J, Bok D, Hollyfield J. Claudin localization in cilia of the retinal pigment epithelium. Anat Rec. 2002;267:196-203 pubmed..These data suggest that cilia of the RPE, unlike cilia on other cell types, contain claudin, and that this molecule may play an important and specific role in the function and/or maintenance of RPE cilia. ..
- Mokrzan E, Lewis J, Mykytyn K. Differences in renal tubule primary cilia length in a mouse model of Bardet-Biedl syndrome. Nephron Exp Nephrol. 2007;106:e88-96 pubmed..Lacking Bbs4 does not lead to aberrant cilia or basal body structure. However, the dynamics of cilia assembly is altered in Bbs4(-/-) cells, suggesting a role for Bbs4 in the regulation of ciliary assembly. ..
- Michaud E, Yoder B. The primary cilium in cell signaling and cancer. Cancer Res. 2006;66:6463-7 pubmed
- Hu J, Wittekind S, Barr M. STAM and Hrs down-regulate ciliary TRP receptors. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3277-89 pubmed
- Rompolas P, Patel King R, King S. An outer arm Dynein conformational switch is required for metachronal synchrony of motile cilia in planaria. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3669-79 pubmed publisher..We propose that this conformational switch provides a mechanical feedback system within outer arm dynein that is necessary to entrain metachronal synchrony. ..
- Shin J, Adams D, Paukert M, Siba M, Sidi S, Levin M, et al. Xenopus TRPN1 (NOMPC) localizes to microtubule-based cilia in epithelial cells, including inner-ear hair cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:12572-7 pubmed..This result suggests that although TRPN1 is unlikely to be the transduction channel of stereocilia, it plays an essential role, functionally related to transduction, in the kinocilium. ..
- Xiao Z, Zhang S, Mahlios J, Zhou G, Magenheimer B, Guo D, et al. Cilia-like structures and polycystin-1 in osteoblasts/osteocytes and associated abnormalities in skeletogenesis and Runx2 expression. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:30884-95 pubmed..These findings are consistent with a possible functional role of cilia and PC1 in anabolic signaling in osteoblasts/osteocytes. ..
- Wu C, Peluso J, Shanley J, Puddington L, Thrall R. Murine cytomegalovirus influences Foxj1 expression, ciliogenesis, and mucus plugging in mice with allergic airway disease. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:714-24 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that MCMV infection of the airway epithelium enhances goblet cell metaplasia and diminishes efficient mucociliary clearance in mice with AAD, resulting in increased mucus plugging. ..
- Wang L, White D, Andreoli S, Mulligan R, Discolo C, Schlosser R. Cigarette smoke inhibits dynamic ciliary beat frequency in pediatric adenoid explants. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;146:659-63 pubmed publisher..Smoke exposure impairs ciliary function in the pediatric airway and could potentially contribute to disorders such as chronic rhinosinusitis and chronic otitis media. ..
- Brooks E, Wallingford J. Control of vertebrate intraflagellar transport by the planar cell polarity effector Fuz. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:37-45 pubmed publisher..These data place Fuz in the small group of known IFT effectors outside the core machinery and, additionally, identify Fuz as a novel cytoplasmic effector that differentiates between the retrograde and anterograde IFT complexes. ..
- Wang G, Cadwallader A, Jang D, Tsang M, Yost H, Amack J. The Rho kinase Rock2b establishes anteroposterior asymmetry of the ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:45-54 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a link between AP patterning of the ciliated Kupffer's vesicle and LR patterning of the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Shi X, Garcia G, Van De Weghe J, McGorty R, Pazour G, Doherty D, et al. Super-resolution microscopy reveals that disruption of ciliary transition-zone architecture causes Joubert syndrome. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:1178-1188 pubmed publisher..We propose that the disruption of transition-zone architecture in JBTS leads to a failure of SMO to accumulate at the transition zone and cilium, disrupting developmental signalling in JBTS. ..
- Watson G, Mire P, Hudson R. Hair bundles of sea anemones as a model system for vertebrate hair bundles. Hear Res. 1997;107:53-66 pubmed..Thus, anemone hair bundles may serve as a useful model system for vertebrate hair bundles with the interesting feature of being insensitive to amiloride. ..
- Masyuk A, Masyuk T, Splinter P, Huang B, Stroope A, Larusso N. Cholangiocyte cilia detect changes in luminal fluid flow and transmit them into intracellular Ca2+ and cAMP signaling. Gastroenterology. 2006;131:911-20 pubmed..The data suggest a new model for regulation of ductal bile secretion involving cholangiocyte cilia. ..
- McClintock T, Glasser C, Bose S, Bergman D. Tissue expression patterns identify mouse cilia genes. Physiol Genomics. 2008;32:198-206 pubmed..99) between the number of studies predicting a gene's involvement in cilia and documented evidence of such involvement, a fact that simplifies the selection of genes for further study of the physiology of cilia. ..
- Berbari N, Johnson A, Lewis J, Askwith C, Mykytyn K. Identification of ciliary localization sequences within the third intracellular loop of G protein-coupled receptors. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1540-7 pubmed publisher..As Mchr1 mediates feeding behavior and metabolism, our results implicate ciliary signaling in the regulation of body weight. ..
- Kindt K, Finch G, Nicolson T. Kinocilia mediate mechanosensitivity in developing zebrafish hair cells. Dev Cell. 2012;23:329-41 pubmed publisher..Later in development, a switch to correctly polarized mechanosensitivity coincides with the formation of tip links and the onset of tip-link-dependent mechanotransduction. ..
- DiPetrillo C, Smith E. Pcdp1 is a central apparatus protein that binds Ca(2+)-calmodulin and regulates ciliary motility. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:601-12 pubmed publisher..These combined results reveal that the central pair Pcdp1 (FAP221) complex is essential for control of ciliary motility. ..
- Sloboda R, Rosenbaum J. Making sense of cilia and flagella. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:575-82 pubmed
- Wang C, Yuan X, Yang S. IFT80 is essential for chondrocyte differentiation by regulating Hedgehog and Wnt signaling pathways. Exp Cell Res. 2013;319:623-32 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results demonstrate that IFT80 is essential for chondrocyte differentiation by regulating the Hh and Wnt signaling pathways. ..
- Mitchell B, Pedersen L, Feely M, Rosenbaum J, Mitchell D. ATP production in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii flagella by glycolytic enzymes. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4509-18 pubmed..We conclude that in situ ATP synthesis throughout the flagellar compartment is essential for normal flagellar motility. ..
- Serra R. Role of intraflagellar transport and primary cilia in skeletal development. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2008;291:1049-61 pubmed publisher..Together, the results indicate that primary cilia/IFT are involved in coordinating multiple signaling pathways within the skeleton. ..
- Tran P, Lechtreck K. An age of enlightenment for cilia: The FASEB summer research conference on the "Biology of Cilia and Flagella". Dev Biol. 2016;409:319-28 pubmed publisher..In this report, we summarize the meeting, highlight exciting developments and discuss open questions. ..
- Sloboda R. A healthy understanding of intraflagellar transport. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2002;52:1-8 pubmed
- Calvet J. New insights into ciliary function: kidney cysts and photoreceptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:5583-5 pubmed
- Hu J, Bae Y, Knobel K, Barr M. Casein kinase II and calcineurin modulate TRPP function and ciliary localization. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2200-11 pubmed..A dynamic phosphorylation-dephosphorylation cycle may represent a mechanism for modulating TRPP activity, cellular sensation, and ciliary protein localization. ..
- Resnick A, Hopfer U. Force-response considerations in ciliary mechanosensation. Biophys J. 2007;93:1380-90 pubmed..Regardless, the findings indicate that the cilium is a mechanosensory organelle with a sensitivity much lower than previously recognized. ..
- Green J, Mykytyn K. Neuronal ciliary signaling in homeostasis and disease. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2010;67:3287-97 pubmed publisher..This review will introduce primary cilia and ciliary signaling pathways with a focus on neuronal cilia and their putative functions and roles in human diseases. ..
- Resnick A. Chronic fluid flow is an environmental modifier of renal epithelial function. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27058 pubmed publisher..These results significantly impact the understanding of both the mechanosensation function of primary cilia as well as the understanding of ADPKD disease progression. ..
- Mahoney W, Gunaje J, Daum G, Dong X, Majesky M. Regulator of G-protein signaling - 5 (RGS5) is a novel repressor of hedgehog signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61421 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that RGS5 is an endogenous regulator of Hh-mediated signaling and that RGS proteins are potential targets for novel therapeutics in Hh-mediated diseases. ..
- Akizu N, Silhavy J, Rosti R, Scott E, Fenstermaker A, Schroth J, et al. Mutations in CSPP1 lead to classical Joubert syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;94:80-6 pubmed publisher..Here, we show abrogated protein levels and ciliogenesis in affected fibroblasts. Our data thus suggest that CSPP1 is involved in neural-specific functions of primary cilia. ..
- Jaffe K, Thiberge S, Bisher M, Burdine R. Imaging cilia in zebrafish. Methods Cell Biol. 2010;97:415-35 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe how to image cilia by whole-mount immunofluorescence, transverse cryosection/immunohistochemistry, and transmission electron microscopy. We also describe how to obtain videos of cilia motility in living embryos. ..
- Smith K, Kieserman E, Wang P, Basten S, Giles R, Marcotte E, et al. A role for central spindle proteins in cilia structure and function. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2011;68:112-24 pubmed publisher..These mutants displayed defects in both cilia function and cilia morphology. Together, these data suggest the conserved reuse of a surprisingly large number of proteins in the cytokinetic apparatus and in cilia. ..
- Huang S, Driessen N, Knoll M, Talbot P. In vitro analysis of oocyte cumulus complex pickup rate in the hamster Mesocricetus auratus. Mol Reprod Dev. 1997;47:312-22 pubmed..94) between OCC pickup rate and temperature. The OCC pickup rate assay can be used experimentally, and should be valuable in evaluating factors that affect rate and in studies dealing with the mechanism of OCC pickup. ..
- Hadziyannis E, Yen Lieberman B, Hall G, Procop G. Ciliocytophthoria in clinical virology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000;124:1220-3 pubmed..Finally, we present the utility of a commonly used cytologic stain, the Diff-Quik stain, for the confirmation of ciliocytophthoria...
- Woollard J, Punyashtiti R, Richardson S, Masyuk T, Whelan S, Huang B, et al. A mouse model of autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease with biliary duct and proximal tubule dilatation. Kidney Int. 2007;72:328-36 pubmed..These inbred mice will be useful resources for studying the mechanisms underlying the pathogenesis of ARPKD...
- Wang G, Manning M, Amack J. Regional cell shape changes control form and function of Kupffer's vesicle in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2012;370:52-62 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that regional cell shape changes control the development of anteroposterior asymmetry in KV, which is necessary to generate coordinated asymmetric fluid flow and left-right patterning of the embryo. ..
- Wolfrum U, Salisbury J. Expression of centrin isoforms in the mammalian retina. Exp Cell Res. 1998;242:10-7 pubmed..These observations suggest centrin 2 message may be universally expressed while centrin 1 message may be restricted to retina and testis which contain cells that have differentiated cilia or flagella, or their modifications. ..
- Seeley E, CARRIERE C, Goetze T, Longnecker D, Korc M. Pancreatic cancer and precursor pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia lesions are devoid of primary cilia. Cancer Res. 2009;69:422-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, arrested ciliogenesis is a cardinal feature of PDAC and its precursor PanIN lesions, does not require ongoing proliferation, and could potentially be targeted pharmacologically. ..
- Chan Y, Hackett K, Dillard J. The lytic transglycosylases of Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Microb Drug Resist. 2012;18:271-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the information available on these enzymes and discuss their roles in bacterial growth, cell separation, autolysis, type IV secretion, and pathogenesis...
- Gokey J, Ji Y, Tay H, Litts B, Amack J. Kupffer's vesicle size threshold for robust left-right patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Dev Dyn. 2016;245:22-33 pubmed publisher..Together these results indicate the KV organ of asymmetry size is not tightly controlled during development, but rather must only exceed a threshold to direct robust LR patterning of the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Gieseke C, Talbot P. Cigarette smoke inhibits hamster oocyte pickup by increasing adhesion between the oocyte cumulus complex and oviductal cilia. Biol Reprod. 2005;73:443-51 pubmed..The oviduct is more sensitive to the adverse effects of smoke; however, this may be caused by a combined impact on mechanisms involved in both adhesion and ciliary function. ..
- Gray R, Abitua P, Wlodarczyk B, Szabo Rogers H, Blanchard O, Lee I, et al. The planar cell polarity effector Fuz is essential for targeted membrane trafficking, ciliogenesis and mouse embryonic development. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:1225-32 pubmed publisher..These results are significant because they provide new insights into the mechanisms by which developmental regulatory systems such as PCP signalling interface with fundamental cellular systems such as the vesicle trafficking machinery. ..
- Hoang Minh L, Deleyrolle L, Siebzehnrubl D, Ugartemendia G, Futch H, Griffith B, et al. Disruption of KIF3A in patient-derived glioblastoma cells: effects on ciliogenesis, hedgehog sensitivity, and tumorigenesis. Oncotarget. 2016;7:7029-43 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that KIF3A is essential for GBM cell ciliogenesis, but its role in modulating GBM cell behavior is highly variable. ..
- Marshall C, Mays D, Beeler J, Rosenbluth J, Boyd K, Santos Guasch G, et al. p73 Is Required for Multiciliogenesis and Regulates the Foxj1-Associated Gene Network. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2289-300 pubmed publisher..In summary, p73 is essential for MCC differentiation, functions as a critical regulator of a transcriptome required for MCC differentiation, and, like p63, has an essential role in development of tissues. ..
- Yoder B, Hou X, Guay Woodford L. The polycystic kidney disease proteins, polycystin-1, polycystin-2, polaris, and cystin, are co-localized in renal cilia. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2002;13:2508-16 pubmed..These data add to a growing body of evidence that suggests that primary cilium plays a key role in normal physiologic functions of renal epithelia and that defects in ciliary function contribute to the pathogenesis of PKD. ..
- Zhang J, Lipinski R, Gipp J, Shaw A, Bushman W. Hedgehog pathway responsiveness correlates with the presence of primary cilia on prostate stromal cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:50 pubmed publisher..We conclude that paracrine Hedgehog signaling activity in the prostate is associated with the presence of primary cilia on stromal cells but that a role in autocrine Hh signaling remains speculative. ..
- Patel King R, King S. A prefoldin-associated WD-repeat protein (WDR92) is required for the correct architectural assembly of motile cilia. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1204-9 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that WDR92 is part of a previously unrecognized cytoplasmic chaperone system that is specifically required to fold key components necessary to build motile ciliary axonemes. ..
- Gitz D, Eells J, Pennock D. The dcc mutation affects ciliary length in Tetrahymena thermophila. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 1993;40:668-76 pubmed..The mutation was named dcc for defective in ciliogenesis and cytokinesis. ..
- Mire P, Nasse J. Hair bundle motility induced by chemoreceptors in anemones. Hear Res. 2002;163:111-20 pubmed..The twisted hair bundles can untwist while elongating to relieve excessive tension on extracellular linkages between stereocilia critical to mechanosensitivity. ..
- Jauregui A, Barr M. Functional characterization of the C. elegans nephrocystins NPHP-1 and NPHP-4 and their role in cilia and male sensory behaviors. Exp Cell Res. 2005;305:333-42 pubmed..nphp-1; nphp-4 double, but not single, mutant males are response defective. We propose that NPHP-1 and NPHP-4 proteins play important and redundant roles in facilitating ciliary sensory signal transduction. ..
- Xiao Z, Zhang S, Magenheimer B, Luo J, Quarles L. Polycystin-1 regulates skeletogenesis through stimulation of the osteoblast-specific transcription factor RUNX2-II. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:12624-34 pubmed publisher..The overall function of the primary cilium-polycystin complex may be to sense and transduce environmental clues into signals regulating osteoblast differentiation and bone development. ..