Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on chlorophyll in Switzerland
- Sakuraba Y, Park S, Kim Y, Wang S, Yoo S, H rtensteiner S, et al. Arabidopsis STAY-GREEN2 is a negative regulator of chlorophyll degradation during leaf senescence. Mol Plant. 2014;7:1288-1302 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate an antagonistic evolution of the functions of SGR1 and SGR2 in Arabidopsis to balance Chl catabolism in chloroplasts with the dismantling and remobilizing of other cellular components in senescing leaf cells...
- Christ B, Süssenbacher I, Moser S, Bichsel N, Egert A, Muller T, et al. Cytochrome P450 CYP89A9 is involved in the formation of major chlorophyll catabolites during leaf senescence in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2013;25:1868-80 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CYP89A9 is involved in the formation of dioxobilin-type catabolites of chlorophyll in Arabidopsis. ..
- Blom J, Pernthaler J. Antibiotic effects of three strains of chrysophytes (Ochromonas, Poterioochromonas) on freshwater bacterial isolates. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2010;71:281-90 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the antibiotic potential of mixotrophic chrysophytes may change with their nutritional mode...
- Pruzinsk A, Anders I, Aubry S, Schenk N, Tapernoux L thi E, M ller T, et al. In vivo participation of red chlorophyll catabolite reductase in chlorophyll breakdown. Plant Cell. 2007;19:369-87 pubmed publisher..We conclude that RCCR (together with PAO) is required for the detoxification of chlorophyll catabolites and discuss the biochemical role(s) for this enzyme...
- Frelet Barrand A, Kolukisaoglu H, Plaza S, Rüffer M, Azevedo L, Hortensteiner S, et al. Comparative mutant analysis of Arabidopsis ABCC-type ABC transporters: AtMRP2 contributes to detoxification, vacuolar organic anion transport and chlorophyll degradation. Plant Cell Physiol. 2008;49:557-69 pubmed publisher..Vacuolar uptake studies demonstrated that transport of typical MRP substrates was reduced in atmrp2. We conclude that within clade I, only AtMRP2 contributes significantly to overall organic anion pump activity in vivo...
- Hortensteiner S, Wüthrich K, Matile P, Ongania K, Krautler B. The key step in chlorophyll breakdown in higher plants. Cleavage of pheophorbide a macrocycle by a monooxygenase. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:15335-9 pubmed..Chlorophyll breakdown is therefore indicated to be mechanistically related in higher plants and in the green alga Chlorella protothecoides. ..
- Galle A, Feller U. Changes of photosynthetic traits in beech saplings (Fagus sylvatica) under severe drought stress and during recovery. Physiol Plant. 2007;131:412-21 pubmed publisher..sylvatica (a rather drought-sensitive species), P(n) was completely restored after re-watering, presumably because of physiological and morphological adjustments (e.g. stomatal occlusions)...
- Schenk N, Schelbert S, Kanwischer M, Goldschmidt E, Dormann P, Hortensteiner S. The chlorophyllases AtCLH1 and AtCLH2 are not essential for senescence-related chlorophyll breakdown in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:5517-25 pubmed..From our data we conclude that AtCLHs are not required for senescence-related chlorophyll breakdown in vivo and propose that genuine chlorophyllase has not yet been molecularly identified. ..
- Galle A, Haldimann P, Feller U. Photosynthetic performance and water relations in young pubescent oak (Quercus pubescens) trees during drought stress and recovery. New Phytol. 2007;174:799-810 pubmed..Thus, Q. pubescens seems to be capable of withstanding and surviving extreme drought events...
- Christ B, Schelbert S, Aubry S, Süssenbacher I, Muller T, Krautler B, et al. MES16, a member of the methylesterase protein family, specifically demethylates fluorescent chlorophyll catabolites during chlorophyll breakdown in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2012;158:628-41 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that MES16 is an integral component of Chl breakdown in Arabidopsis and specifically demethylates Chl catabolites at the level of FCCs in the cytosol. ..
- Kauss D, Bischof S, Steiner S, Apel K, Meskauskiene R. FLU, a negative feedback regulator of tetrapyrrole biosynthesis, is physically linked to the final steps of the Mg(++)-branch of this pathway. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:211-6 pubmed publisher..The results support the notion that FLU links chlorophyll synthesis and the target of feedback control, glutamyl-tRNA reductase, thereby allowing also the Mg-branch to control the initial step of tetrapyrrole synthesis. ..
- Pruzinska A, Tanner G, Aubry S, Anders I, Moser S, Muller T, et al. Chlorophyll breakdown in senescent Arabidopsis leaves. Characterization of chlorophyll catabolites and of chlorophyll catabolic enzymes involved in the degreening reaction. Plant Physiol. 2005;139:52-63 pubmed..In the dark, pao1 exhibited a stay-green phenotype. The key role of PAO in chl breakdown is discussed. ..
- Soldo D, Hari R, Sigg L, Behra R. Tolerance of Oocystis nephrocytioides to copper: intracellular distribution and extracellular complexation of copper. Aquat Toxicol. 2005;71:307-17 pubmed..We propose that accumulation and sequestration of Cu in thylakoids and, to a lesser extent, adsorption of copper to the algal cell surface represent the most important tolerance mechanism, for O. nephrocytioides. ..
- Pruzinska A, Tanner G, Anders I, Roca M, Hortensteiner S. Chlorophyll breakdown: pheophorbide a oxygenase is a Rieske-type iron-sulfur protein, encoded by the accelerated cell death 1 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15259-64 pubmed..PaO expression correlated positively with senescence, but the enzyme appeared to be post-translationally regulated as well. ..
- Martinoia E, Klein M, Geisler M, Bovet L, Forestier C, Kolukisaoglu U, et al. Multifunctionality of plant ABC transporters--more than just detoxifiers. Planta. 2002;214:345-55 pubmed
- Meskauskiene R, Nater M, Goslings D, Kessler F, op den Camp R, Apel K. FLU: a negative regulator of chlorophyll biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:12826-31 pubmed..It is unrelated to any of the enzymes known to be involved in tetrapyrrole biosynthesis. Its predicted features suggest that FLU mediates its regulatory effect through interaction with enzymes involved in chlorophyll synthesis. ..
- Wüthrich K, Bovet L, Hunziker P, Donnison I, Hortensteiner S. Molecular cloning, functional expression and characterisation of RCC reductase involved in chlorophyll catabolism. Plant J. 2000;21:189-98 pubmed..Upon transport, it was processed to a mature form of 31 kDa. The significance of cloning of RCCR is discussed in respect to the evolution of chlorophyll catabolism and to the cloning of PaO. ..