Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell survival in Taiwan
Topic: cell survival
Publications361 found, 100 shown here
- Lee C, Lai T, Tsai M, Ou Yang P, Tsai C, Wu S, et al. The influence of a caveolin-1 mutant on the function of P-glycoprotein. Sci Rep. 2016;6:20486 pubmed publisher..Functional assays further revealed that K176R mutant of CAV1 in cancer cells increased the transport activity of P-glycoprotein and decreased the killing ability of anti-cancer drugs in non-small-cell lung cancer cell lines. ..
- Cheng H, Chou C, Liang W, Kuo C, Shieh P, Wang J, et al. Effects of puerarin on intracellular Ca2+ and cell viability of MDCK renal tubular cells. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;52:83-89 pubmed publisher..Puerarin also caused Ca2+-independent cell death. ..
- Wang G, Chen S, Chen W, Chang Y, Lee T. Selective inducible nitric oxide synthase suppression by new bracteanolides from Murdannia bracteata. J Ethnopharmacol. 2007;112:221-7 pubmed..The selective inhibition on iNOS provides a possible explanation for the anti-inflammatory use of M. bracteata...
- Wu W, Peng H, Huang T. Disintegrin causes proteolysis of beta-catenin and apoptosis of endothelial cells. Involvement of cell-cell and cell-ECM interactions in regulating cell viability. Exp Cell Res. 2003;286:115-27 pubmed
- Hsiao H, Wang W, Chen P, Su Y. Overexpression of thymosin beta-4 renders SW480 colon carcinoma cells more resistant to apoptosis triggered by FasL and two topoisomerase II inhibitors via downregulating Fas and upregulating Survivin expression, respectively. Carcinogenesis. 2006;27:936-44 pubmed..Thus, advantages such as immune evasion and resistance to anticancer drug-induced apoptosis acquired by colon cancer cells through Tbeta4 overexpression might facilitate their survival during metastasis and chemotherapy. ..
- Wang H, Li P, Huang H, Lee T, Lin C. Peritoneal dialysate effluent during peritonitis induces human cardiomyocyte apoptosis by regulating the expression of GATA-4 and Bcl-2 families. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:94-102 pubmed publisher..This pinpoints a key role of apoptosis in PD-associated cardiovascular events, along with a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Lu H, Chen Y, Yang J, Yang Y, Liu J, Hsu S, et al. Antitumor activity of capsaicin on human colon cancer cells in vitro and colo 205 tumor xenografts in vivo. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:12999-3005 pubmed publisher..The potent in vitro and in vivo antitumor activities of capsaicin suggest that capsaicin might be developed for the treatment of human colon cancer. ..
- Lin C, Chen T, Chen S, Hsiao P, Yang R. Activation of Trim17 by PPAR? is involved in di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP)-induced apoptosis on Neuro-2a cells. Toxicol Lett. 2011;206:245-51 pubmed publisher..This finding may account for the central nervous system toxicity of DEHP and implies DEHP can impair fetal brain development. ..
- Cheng N, Wang S, Young T. The influence of spheroid formation of human adipose-derived stem cells on chitosan films on stemness and differentiation capabilities. Biomaterials. 2012;33:1748-58 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that ASCs cultured as spheroids on chitosan films can increase their therapeutic potentials. ..
- Li C, Liao P, Shyu M, Liu C, Kao C, Huang S, et al. Zinc oxide nanoparticles-induced intercellular adhesion molecule 1 expression requires Rac1/Cdc42, mixed lineage kinase 3, and c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation in endothelial cells. Toxicol Sci. 2012;126:162-72 pubmed publisher..Our data are essential for safety evaluation of the clinical usage of ZnO-NPs in daily supplements, cosmetics, and biomedicines. ..
- Yang C, Chang C, Lee H, Chi C, Pan J, Yang W. Curcumin induces the apoptosis of human monocytic leukemia THP-1 cells via the activation of JNK/ERK pathways. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12:22 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that curcumin can induce the THP-1 cell apoptosis through the activation of JNK/ERK/AP1 pathways. Besides, our data suggest its novel use as an anti-tumor agent in acute monocytic leukemia. ..
- Chan L, Chou T, Ding H, Chen P, Chiang F, Kuo P, et al. Apigenin induces apoptosis via tumor necrosis factor receptor- and Bcl-2-mediated pathway and enhances susceptibility of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma to 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:1081-91 pubmed publisher..These analytical findings suggest that apigenin may be a good therapeutic agent against HNSCC cells. ..
- Su J, Hsu W, Chou C, Chang C, Sung K. Digital holographic microtomography for high-resolution refractive index mapping of live cells. J Biophotonics. 2013;6:416-24 pubmed publisher..Further, a statistical analysis of the average RI of the nucleoli, the nucleus excluding the nucleoli and the cytoplasm of twenty CA9-22 cells is performed. ..
- Chang H, Chiang M, Hsu H, Yang C, Lin C, Lee S, et al. Cytotoxic cardenolide glycosides from the root of Reevesia formosana. Phytochemistry. 2013;87:86-95 pubmed publisher..Identification of the sugar constituents and unusual 18,20-epoxide cardenolide glycosides are described herein. Cardiac glycosides were previously unknown in the Sterculiaceae family...
- Chiang L, Tseng I, Lin P, Sheu S, Lin C, Hsieh Y, et al. Synthesis of Canthardin Sulfanilamides and Their Acid Anhydride Analogues via a Ring-Opening Reaction of Activated Aziridines and Their Associated Pharmacological Effects. Molecules. 2016;21:100 pubmed publisher..Two compounds 5g and 5h displayed slight effects on the Hep3B cell line, while the other compounds produced no response in these four cell lines. ..
- Liu M, Chen Y, Chen S, Hu C, Lin C, Chang Y, et al. Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein 1 induces micronucleus formation, represses DNA repair and enhances sensitivity to DNA-damaging agents in human epithelial cells. Oncogene. 2004;23:2531-9 pubmed..Based on these results, we suggest that disruption of DNA repair by LMP-1 results in an accumulation of unrepaired DNA and consequent genomic instability, which may contribute to the oncogenesis of LMP1 in human epithelial cells...
- Tsai L, Tsai M, Lin T, Hwu W, Li H. Establishing a standardized therapeutic testing protocol for spinal muscular atrophy. Neurobiol Dis. 2006;24:286-95 pubmed..These results suggest that the testing protocol developed here is well suited for use as a standardized preclinical therapeutic testing system for SMA. ..
- Ho C, Jie Pinge O, Liu Y, Hung C, Tsai M, Liao P, et al. Compositions and in vitro anticancer activities of the leaf and fruit oils of Litsea cubeba from Taiwan. Nat Prod Commun. 2010;5:617-20 pubmed..The main compound in the leaf oil was 1,8-cineol, and in the fruit oil, citral. The fruit oil, but not that of the leaf, exhibited cytotoxic activity against human lung, liver and oral cancer cells...
- Yang P, Chen C. Life or death? Autophagy in anticancer therapies with statins and histone deacetylase inhibitors. Autophagy. 2011;7:107-8 pubmed..Here, we will discuss the differential signaling pathways elicited by statins and HDACi. We find that AMPK, cytoplasmic p21 and Akt signaling are crucial determinants of cell fates (i.e., life or death) while autophagy is induced. ..
- Hu C, Li J, Cheah K, Lin C, Yu W, Chang M, et al. Effect of Sanguis draconis (a dragon's blood resin) on streptozotocin- and cytokine-induced ?-cell damage, in vitro and in vivo. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011;94:417-25 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the possible therapeutic value of S. draconis and could be potentially developed into a novel drug for preventing the progression of diabetes mellitus. ..
- Shen S, Lee W, Yang L, Tsai H, Yang L, Chen Y. Quercetin enhancement of arsenic-induced apoptosis via stimulating ROS-dependent p53 protein ubiquitination in human HaCaT keratinocytes. Exp Dermatol. 2012;21:370-5 pubmed publisher..QUE plus As(+3) stimulation of apoptosis in human HaCaT keratinocytes via activating ROS-dependent p53 protein ubiquitination may offer a rationale for the use of QUE to improve the clinical efficacy of arsenics in treating psoriasis. ..
- Chang C, Hsieh M, Liao S, Chen Y, Cheng C, Huang P, et al. Hyaluronan regulates PPAR? and inflammatory responses in IL-1?-stimulated human chondrosarcoma cells, a model for osteoarthritis. Carbohydr Polym. 2012;90:1168-75 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the cells had overall opposite responses to oligo-HA. In conclusion, HMW-HA and oligo-HA exerted differential inflammatory responses via PPAR? in IL-1?-treated chondrosarcoma cells...
- Lan M, Hsu Y, Hsu C, Ho C, Lin J, Lee S. Induction of apoptosis by high-dose gold nanoparticles in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2013;40:563-8 pubmed publisher..Besides, cell apoptosis was demonstrated by positive TUNEL assay. The AuNP possesses specific imaging properties and is cytotoxic to NPC cells at high concentrations. ..
- Tseng W, Hsu Y, Pan T. Neuroprotective effects of dimerumic acid and deferricoprogen from Monascus purpureus NTU 568-fermented rice against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in differentiated pheochromocytoma PC-12 cells. Pharm Biol. 2016;54:1434-44 pubmed publisher..These results showed that the metabolites from M. purpureus NTU 568 fermentation were potential therapeutic agents for PD induced by oxidative damage and should be encouraged for further research. ..
- Chen Y, Tsai C, Hu W, Chang L. DNA Aptamers against Taiwan Banded Krait Î±-Bungarotoxin Recognize Taiwan Cobra Cardiotoxins. Toxins (Basel). 2016;8: pubmed publisher..The findings that aptamers against Î±-Bgt also suppress the biological activities of CTX3 highlight the potential utility of aptamers in regard to the broad inhibition of snake venom three-fingered proteins. ..
- Lee C, Chen P, Ho K, Shih C, Cheng C, Lin C, et al. The microRNA-302b-inhibited insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 2 signaling pathway induces glioma cell apoptosis by targeting nuclear factor IA. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0173890 pubmed publisher..The identification of a regulatory loop whereby miR-302b inhibits NFIA, leading to a decrease in expression of IGFBP-2, may provide novel directions for developing therapies to target glioblastoma tumorigenesis. ..
- Kuo C, Chyau C, Wang T, Li C, Hu T. Enhanced antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of Monascus pilosus fermented products by addition of turmeric to the medium. J Agric Food Chem. 2009;57:11397-405 pubmed publisher..After the inherent levels of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory capacities were increased, the modified M. pilosus fermented product demonstrated a higher antiatherosclerotic value than the unmodified product...
- Su J, Lin K, Chien C, Tseng C, Chen Y, Chang L, et al. Naphtho[1,2-b]furan-4,5-dione inactivates EGFR and PI3K/Akt signaling pathways in human lung adenocarcinoma A549 cells. Life Sci. 2010;86:207-13 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that EGFR and PI3K/Akt signaling pathways play important roles in NFD-induced apoptosis of A549 cells. ..
- Chiu W, Chen C, Lee T, Chen Z, Ke P, Chiang A. Oxidative stress enhances AP-1 and NF-?B-mediated regulation of ?(2)-glycoprotein I gene expression in hepatoma cells. J Cell Biochem. 2010;111:988-98 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings provide new insight suggesting that multiple cis-elements in the ?(2)-GPI promoter work cooperatively to regulate ?(2)-GPI expression in cells under oxidative stress. ..
- Liu K, Lai C, Lee Y, Wang S, Chen R, Jan J, et al. Curcumin's pre-incubation temperature affects its inhibitory potency toward amyloid fibrillation and fibril-induced cytotoxicity of lysozyme. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:1774-86 pubmed publisher..We believe that the results from this research may contribute to the development of effective therapeutics for amyloidoses. ..
- Wang H, Chen C, Chen C, Ho M, Chou Y, Chang H, et al. (-)-N-Formylanonaine from Michelia alba as a human tyrosinase inhibitor and antioxidant. Bioorg Med Chem. 2010;18:5241-7 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first study to reveal the bioactivities of (-)-N-formylanonaine from this plant species. ..
- Cheng C, Sheu M, Sytwu H, Chang D. Decoy receptor 3 suppresses RANKL-induced osteoclastogenesis via down-regulating NFATc1 and enhancing cell apoptosis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013;52:609-22 pubmed publisher..Our results postulated DCR3 as a possible new remedy against inflammatory bone destruction. ..
- Tseng W, Lin Shiau S. Activation of NMDA receptor partly involved in beta-bungarotoxin-induced neurotoxicity in cultured primary neurons. Neurochem Int. 2003;42:333-44 pubmed..This snake toxin is considered not only to be a useful tool for exploring the death-signaling pathway of neurotoxicity, but also provides a model for searching neuroprotective agents. ..
- Sun J, Dong G, Lin C, Sheu S, Lin F, Chen L, et al. The effect of Gu-Sui-Bu (Drynaria fortunei J. Sm) immobilized modified calcium hydrogenphosphate on bone cell activities. Biomaterials. 2003;24:873-82 pubmed..From this study, we demonstrated that Gu-Sui-Bu [Drynaria fortunei (Kunze) J. Sm.] immobilized MCHP has well preserved the potential beneficial effects of Gu-Sui-Bu on the bone cells culture. ..
- Chiang Y, Chuang D, Wang S, Kuo Y, Tsai P, Shyur L. Metabolite profiling and chemopreventive bioactivity of plant extracts from Bidens pilosa. J Ethnopharmacol. 2004;95:409-19 pubmed..Compounds 2-7 are the major antioxidative constituents in the Bidens pilosa extract. ..
- Lin J, Ho Y, Lee J, Liu C, Yang T, Wu C. Induction of apoptosis and cell-cycle arrest in human colon cancer cells by meclizine. Food Chem Toxicol. 2007;45:935-44 pubmed..This resulted in the activation of caspase 3, 8, and 9. Our results provide the molecular basis of MEC-induced apoptosis and cell-cycle arrest in human colon cancer cells. ..
- Lin H, Yang M, Wu C, Chen P, Yang Y, Chu Y, et al. 2-Methoxyestradiol attenuates phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway-mediated metastasis of gastric cancer. Int J Cancer. 2007;121:2547-55 pubmed..We conclude that the activation of PI3K/Akt pathway is involved in the late-stage progression and metastasis of gastric cancer, and attenuation of p-Akt by 2-ME suppresses metastasis. ..
- Ho T, Yang Y, Chen S, Kuo P, Sytwu H, Cheng H, et al. Pigment epithelium-derived factor induces THP-1 macrophage apoptosis and necrosis by the induction of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:898-909 pubmed..Our observations indicate that PEDF induces macrophage apoptosis and necrosis through the signaling of PPARgamma. This suggests a novel mechanism through which PEDF can modulate inflammation. ..
- Chen Y, Hsu H, Chen Y, Tsai T, How C, Wang C, et al. Oct-4 expression maintained cancer stem-like properties in lung cancer-derived CD133-positive cells. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2637 pubmed publisher..Future research is warranted regarding the up-regulated expression of Oct-4 in LC-CD133(+) and malignant lung cancer...
- Yu H, Lin C, Tai W, Liu C, Shiau C, Chen K. Nilotinib induces autophagy in hepatocellular carcinoma through AMPK activation. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18249-59 pubmed publisher..Together, our results reveal that nilotinib induces autophagy, but not apoptosis in HCC, and that the autophagy-inducing activity is associated with PP2A-regulated AMPK phosphorylation. ..
- Kuo T, Hung S, Chuang C, Chen C, Shih Y, Fang S, et al. Stem cell therapy for liver disease: parameters governing the success of using bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Gastroenterology. 2008;134:2111-21, 2121.e1-3 pubmed publisher..Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells can effectively rescue experimental liver failure and contribute to liver regeneration and offer a potentially alternative therapy to organ transplantation for treatment of liver diseases. ..
- Lien H, Lu Y, Shun C, Yao Y, Chang W, Cheng A. Differential expression of glucocorticoid receptor in carcinomas of the human digestive system. Histopathology. 2008;52:314-24 pubmed publisher..To investigate the in situ expression profile of glucocorticoid receptor (GR) in normal and carcinomatous tissues of the human digestive system...
- Leung K, Tsai C, Hsiao M, Tseng C, Ger L, Lee K, et al. Pin1 overexpression is associated with poor differentiation and survival in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oncol Rep. 2009;21:1097-104 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that Pin1 is a regulator of cyclin D1 expression in OSCC and might play a role in oral oncogenesis. The overexpression of Pin1 can be used as an indicator for pathological diagnosis of OSCC. ..
- Hsu W, Chiu T, Tai D, Ma Y, Lee E. A novel defense mechanism that is activated on amyloid-beta insult to mediate cell survival: role of SGK1-STAT1/STAT2 signaling. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:1515-29 pubmed publisher..Further, mutation of STAT1/STAT2 prevented the effect of both Abeta and SGK1 on Mcl-1 expression. These results together showed a novel endogenous protection mechanism that is activated on Abeta insult to mediate cell survival. ..
- Ho W, Chan W, Hsieh M, Chen R. Runx2-mediated bcl-2 gene expression contributes to nitric oxide protection against hydrogen peroxide-induced osteoblast apoptosis. J Cell Biochem. 2009;108:1084-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study shows that pretreatment with 0.3 mM SNP can protect human MG63 cells from hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptotic insults possibly via Runx2-involved regulation of bcl-2 gene expression...
- Lee H, Sheu S, Yen H, Lai W, Chang J. JNK/ATF2 pathway is involved in iodinated contrast media-induced apoptosis. Am J Nephrol. 2010;31:125-33 pubmed publisher..Differential activation of ATF2 by different contrast media provides a new insight into the mechanism and prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy. ..
- Peng P, Chiou L, Chao H, Lin S, Chen C, Liu J, et al. Effects of epigallocatechin-3-gallate on rat retinal ganglion cells after optic nerve axotomy. Exp Eye Res. 2010;90:528-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, we demonstrated that administration of EGCG prior to axotomy promotes RGC survival. The neuroprotective capacity of EGCG appears to act through mediating nitric oxide, anti-apoptotic, and cell survival signaling pathways. ..
- Chien W, Lee T, Hung S, Kang K, Lee M, Fu W. Impairment of oxidative stress-induced heme oxygenase-1 expression by the defect of Parkinson-related gene of PINK1. J Neurochem. 2011;117:643-53 pubmed publisher..Impairment of HO-1 production following oxidative stress may accelerate the dopaminergic neurodegeneration in Parkinson patients with PINK1 defect. ..
- Tseng S, Chang M, Su C, Chi L, Chang J, Tseng W, et al. Arecoline induced cell cycle arrest, apoptosis, and cytotoxicity to human endothelial cells. Clin Oral Investig. 2012;16:1267-73 pubmed publisher..During BQ chewing, endothelial damage may be induced by areca nut components and associate with the pathogenesis of OSF, periodontitis, and cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Wang T, Wang I, Chen Y, Lu J, Young T. Polyvinylidene fluoride for proliferation and preservation of bovine corneal endothelial cells by enhancing type IV collagen production and deposition. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2012;100:252-60 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, promoting CEC growth effects after cell-biomaterial association may be applied to the tissue engineering of corneal endothelium. ..
- Yen T, Hsu W, Huang S, Lu W, Chang C, Lien L, et al. A novel bioactivity of andrographolide from Andrographis paniculata on cerebral ischemia/reperfusion-induced brain injury through induction of cerebral endothelial cell apoptosis. Pharm Biol. 2013;51:1150-7 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that andrographolide may disrupt BBB integrity, thereby deteriorating MCAO/reperfusion-induced brain injury, which are, in part, associated with its capacity to arrest cell-cycle and induce CEC apoptosis. ..
- Lu K, Evans S, Hirano S, Liu F. Dual role for Islet-1 in promoting striatonigral and repressing striatopallidal genetic programs to specify striatonigral cell identity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E168-77 pubmed publisher..The dual action of developmental control by Isl1 in promoting appropriate striatonigral but repressing inappropriate striatopallidal genetic profiles may ensure sharpening of the striatonigral identity during development. ..
- Chang H, Huang Y, Chen C, Chen Y, Huang Y, Su J, et al. In vitro and in vivo activity of a novel sorafenib derivative SC5005 against MRSA. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:449-59 pubmed publisher..In light of its high potency in suppressing MRSA in both in vitro and in vivo models, SC5005 represents a potential lead agent for continued preclinical development as a therapeutic intervention against MRSA. ..
- Ka S, Cheng C, Shui H, Wu W, Chang D, Lin Y, et al. Mesangial cells of lupus-prone mice are sensitive to chemokine production. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007;9:R67 pubmed..The observed abnormal molecular events provide an intrarenal pathogenic pathway involved in an accelerated type of LN, which is potentially infection triggered. ..
- Chen K, Pan Y, Chen C, Lin C, Huang C, Wo A. Enumeration and viability of rare cells in a microfluidic disk via positive selection approach. Anal Biochem. 2012;429:116-23 pubmed publisher..The microfluidic disk should be applicable for separation and detection of various rare cells, such as circulating tumor cells and circulating endothelial cells in human blood. ..
- Lin Y, Chen T, Tseng H, Lee M, Chen S. Chemical and biological evaluation of nephrocizin in protecting nerve growth factor-differentiated PC12 cells by 6-hydroxydopamine-induced neurotoxicity. Phytochemistry. 2012;84:102-15 pubmed publisher..These dietary antioxidants are potential candidates for use in intervention in neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Hou C, Chen Y, Wu J, Huang C, Wang S, Yang N, et al. A galactolipid possesses novel cancer chemopreventive effects by suppressing inflammatory mediators and mouse B16 melanoma. Cancer Res. 2007;67:6907-15 pubmed..administration, an effect comparable with that of cisplatin, a cancer chemotherapeutic drug. This study shows the detailed molecular mechanism(s) underlying the anti-inflammatory and tumor-suppressive effects of a natural galactolipid. ..
- Wu K, Wang H, Hong S. Mechanism of mitomycin-induced apoptosis in cultured corneal endothelial cells. Mol Vis. 2008;14:1705-12 pubmed..The aim of the present study was to investigate whether MMC induces cellular apoptosis in corneal endothelial cells and to determine the mechanism by which this may occur...
- Lu H, Lai T, Hsia T, Tang Y, Yang J, Chiang J, et al. Danthron induces DNA damage and inhibits DNA repair gene expressions in GBM 8401 human brain glioblastoma multiforms cells. Neurochem Res. 2010;35:1105-10 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the present study showed that danthron caused DNA damage and inhibited DNA repair genes, which may be the factors for danthron-inhibited cell growth in vitro. ..
- Ou D, Shen Y, Yu S, Chen K, Yeh P, Fan H, et al. Induction of DNA damage-inducible gene GADD45beta contributes to sorafenib-induced apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Cancer Res. 2010;70:9309-18 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings suggest that GADD45? induction contributes to sorafenib-induced apoptosis in HCC cells, prompting further studies to validate its potential value in predicting sorafenib efficacy. ..
- Inbaraj B, Kao T, Tsai T, Chiu C, Kumar R, Chen B. The synthesis and characterization of poly(?-glutamic acid)-coated magnetite nanoparticles and their effects on antibacterial activity and cytotoxicity. Nanotechnology. 2011;22:075101 pubmed publisher..This outcome demonstrated that both ?-PGA-modified MNPs are cytocompatible and possess antibacterial activity in vitro, and thereby should be useful in in vivo studies for biomedical applications. ..
- Jan H, Wei M, Peng C, Lin S, Lai P, Shieh M. The use of polyethylenimine-DNA to topically deliver hTERT to promote hair growth. Gene Ther. 2012;19:86-93 pubmed publisher..These studies provide a potential approach for gene therapy of skin disease...
- Liu C, Chang H, Chen I, Chen C, Hsu M, Fu S, et al. Costunolide causes mitotic arrest and enhances radiosensitivity in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Radiat Oncol. 2011;6:56 pubmed publisher..This work aimed to investigate the effect of costunolide, a sesquiterpene lactone isolated from Michelia compressa, on cell cycle distribution and radiosensitivity of human hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) cells...
- Chang C, Chiang C, Song W, Tsai S, Woung L, Chang C, et al. Inhibition of phosphorylated STAT3 by cucurbitacin I enhances chemoradiosensitivity in medulloblastoma-derived cancer stem cells. Childs Nerv Syst. 2012;28:363-73 pubmed publisher..However, the biomolecular pathways and therapeutic targets specific to MB-derived CSCs remain unresolved...
- Chang H, Chang M, Wu I, Huang G, Huang W, Wang Y, et al. Role of ALK5/Smad2/3 and MEK1/ERK Signaling in Transforming Growth Factor Beta 1-modulated Growth, Collagen Turnover, and Differentiation of Stem Cells from Apical Papilla of Human Tooth. J Endod. 2015;41:1272-80 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the future use of TGF-Î²1 and SCAP for engineering of pulpal regeneration and apexogenesis. ..
- Hsu S, Chou C, Liao W, Shieh P, Kuo D, Kuo C, et al. The effect of gallic acid on cytotoxicity, Ca(2+) homeostasis and ROS production in DBTRG-05MG human glioblastoma cells and CTX TNA2 rat astrocytes. Chem Biol Interact. 2016;252:61-73 pubmed publisher..This Ca(2+) signal subsequently evoked mitochondrial pathways of apoptosis that involved ROS production. ..
- Chiang I, Chen W, Tseng C, Chen Y, Kuo Y, Chen B, et al. Hyperforin Inhibits Cell Growth by Inducing Intrinsic and Extrinsic Apoptotic Pathways in Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:161-167 pubmed..Taken together, our findings indicate that hyperforin triggers inhibition of tumor cell growth by inducing intrinsic and extrinsic apoptotic pathways in HCC SK-Hep1 cells. ..
- Hsu S, Chen W, Lo Y, Cheng J, Yeh J, Cheng H, et al. Effect of the antidepressant maprotiline on Ca2+ movement and proliferation in human prostate cancer cells. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2004;31:444-9 pubmed
- Jan C, Chen C, Wang S, Kuo S. Effect of methylglyoxal on intracellular calcium levels and viability in renal tubular cells. Cell Signal. 2005;17:847-55 pubmed..The cell type-specific Ca2+ signaling may play an important role in the early process of cytotoxic action of methylglyoxal. ..
- Lo S, Lo S, Lo S. Cleavage of cten by caspase-3 during apoptosis. Oncogene. 2005;24:4311-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate that cten is a target of caspase-3 and the resultant fragments could further promote apoptosis. ..
- Yu D, Lin J, Hsieh D, Chang S, Lee C. Modulation of MDR-1 gene by MIF and GSTpi with drug resistance generation in hormone independent prostate cancer. Arch Androl. 2006;52:283-91 pubmed..The upregulation of MIF and GSTpi during the development of acquired drug resistance of hormone independent prostate cancer may simultaneously and partially modulate the activation of gp-170. ..
- Halle M, Liu Y, Hardy S, Theberge J, Blanchetot C, Bourdeau A, et al. Caspase-3 regulates catalytic activity and scaffolding functions of the protein tyrosine phosphatase PEST, a novel modulator of the apoptotic response. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:1172-90 pubmed..Together, our data demonstrate that PTP-PEST actively contributes to the cellular apoptotic response and reveal the importance of caspases as regulators of PTPs in apoptosis. ..
- Chao H, Chen Y, Liu J, Lee S, Lee F, Chang Y, et al. Iron-generated hydroxyl radicals kill retinal cells in vivo: effect of ferulic acid. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2008;27:327-39 pubmed publisher..Importantly, FA protects iron toxicity perhaps by acting as a free radical scavenger. This provides an approach to the study and treatment of the iron-related disorders such as retained intraocular iron and Alzheimer disease. ..
- Lu K, Liang C, Liliang P, Yang C, Cho C, Weng H, et al. Inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 provides neuroprotection in spinal cord ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats: relationship with the nuclear factor-kappaB-regulated anti-apoptotic mechanisms. J Neurochem. 2010;114:237-46 pubmed publisher..Future research should focus on the possible cross-talk between the MEK/ERK pathway and the NF-kappaB transcriptional cascade. ..
- Huang Y, Wang D, Chang L, Yang Y. Fabricating microparticles/nanofibers composite and nanofiber scaffold with controllable pore size by rotating multichannel electrospinning. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 2010;21:1503-14 pubmed publisher..Using PCL particles as a pore generator, we obtained gelatin nanofiber scaffolds with controllable pore size and porosity. Cells adhere and grow into the scaffold easily during in vitro cell culture. ..
- Chen J, Hwang C, Chen W, Lee J, Fu T, Fang K, et al. Additive effects of C(2)-ceramide on paclitaxel-induced premature senescence of human lung cancer cells. Life Sci. 2010;87:350-7 pubmed publisher..our study demonstrates that the short-carbon chain C(2)-ceramide can effectively sensitize PTX-induced senescence of H1299 cells via both p21(waf1/cip1)- and p16(ink4)-independent pathways. ..
- Liu J, Ye Y, Lin T, Wang Y, Peng C. Effect of floral sources on the antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory activities of honeys in Taiwan. Food Chem. 2013;139:938-43 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the levels of antioxidant and antibacterial activities are attributable to the total phenolic and flavonoid contents of honeys, while the IL-8 inhibition is attributable to components other than phenols. ..
- Hsia K, Liu C, Mar K, Lin L, Lin C, Cheng M, et al. Impact of apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease 1/redox factor-1 on treatment response and survival in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck. 2016;38:550-9 pubmed publisher..Elevated APE1/Ref-1 expression may be used to predict poor survival and may confer chemoresistance in OSCC. ..
- Xiao G, Cheng C, Chiang Y, Cheng W, Liu I, Wu S. Exosomal miR-10a derived from amniotic fluid stem cells preserves ovarian follicles after chemotherapy. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23120 pubmed publisher..Our findings illustrate that miR-10a has potential as a novel therapeutic agent for the treatment of POF. ..
- Cheng P, Ng L, Chiang L, Lin C. Antiviral effects of saikosaponins on human coronavirus 229E in vitro. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2006;33:612-6 pubmed..The present results indicate that saikosaponin B2 has potent anticoronaviral activity and that its mode of action possibly involves interference in the early stage of viral replication, such as absorption and penetration of the virus. ..
- Chen K, Hsieh C, Peng C, Hsieh Li H, Chiang H, Huang K, et al. Brain derived metastatic prostate cancer DU-145 cells are effectively inhibited in vitro by guava (Psidium gujava L.) leaf extracts. Nutr Cancer. 2007;58:93-106 pubmed..61 +/- 10.39 mg/g) and flavonoid (82.85 +/- 0.22 mg/g) contents. Furthermore, PE might be useful for treatment of brain derived metastatic cancers such as DU-145, acting simultaneously as both a chemopreventive and a chemotherapeutic...
- Su F, Chang J, Wang K, Tsai J, Chiang L. A water extract of Pueraria lobata inhibited cytotoxicity of enterovirus 71 in a human foreskin fibroblast cell line. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2008;24:523-30 pubmed publisher..0001). The anti-EV71 activity of the water extract of P. lobata was not mediated by interferons. In conclusion, the water extract of P. lobata was effective in the management of the disease induced by EV71 infection...
- Liu K, Leu S, Su C, Chiang B, Chen Y, Lee Y. Administration of polysaccharides from Antrodia camphorata modulates dendritic cell function and alleviates allergen-induced T helper type 2 responses in a mouse model of asthma. Immunology. 2010;129:351-62 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that administration of A. camphorata polysaccharides (GF2) may have therapeutic potential when used as an adjuvant for the immunomodulatory treatment of allergic asthma. ..
- Yen Y, Tsai K, Chen Y, Huang C, Yang R, Liu S. Arsenic inhibits myogenic differentiation and muscle regeneration. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118:949-56 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that As2O3 inhibits myogenic differentiation by inhibiting Akt-regulated signaling. ..
- Chang H, Hsu S, Chou C, Cheng J, Wang J, Lin K, et al. Effect of thymol on Ca2+ homeostasis and viability in MG63 human osteosarcoma cells. Pharmacology. 2011;88:201-12 pubmed publisher..Thymol induced cell death that may involve apoptosis via mitochondrial pathways. ..
- Liu Y, Lin Y, Chen Y, Luo E, Sher Y, Tsai M, et al. MicroRNA-449a enhances radiosensitivity in CL1-0 lung adenocarcinoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62383 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of miR-449a in CL1-0 cells effectively increased irradiation-induced DNA damage and apoptosis, altered the cell cycle distribution and eventually led to sensitization of CL1-0 to irradiation. ..
- Suk F, Jou W, Lin R, Lin S, Tzeng F, Liang Y. 15,16-Dihydrotanshinone I-induced apoptosis in human colorectal cancer cells: involvement of ATF3. Anticancer Res. 2013;33:3225-31 pubmed..These results suggest that DHTS has a strong therapeutic or preventive potential against cancer. In addition, ATF3 has a dual role in DHTS-induced apoptosis, depending on the degree of malignancy of colorectal cancer. ..