Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell survival in Germany
Topic: cell survival
Publications313 found, 100 shown here
- Klopsch C, Furlani D, Gabel R, Li W, Pittermann E, Ugurlucan M, et al. Intracardiac injection of erythropoietin induces stem cell recruitment and improves cardiac functions in a rat myocardial infarction model. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13:664-79 pubmed..05). Intracardiac EPO injection restores myocardial functions following MI, which may attribute to the improved early recruitment of c-Kit(+) and CD34(+) stem cells via the enhanced expression of chemoattractant SDF-1. ..
- Jäckel T, Knels L, Valtink M, Funk R, Engelmann K. Serum-free corneal organ culture medium (SFM) but not conventional minimal essential organ culture medium (MEM) protects human corneal endothelial cells from apoptotic and necrotic cell death. Br J Ophthalmol. 2011;95:123-30 pubmed publisher..All parameters were significantly higher in MEM compared with F99(HCEC) and SFM. SFM cultures were significantly less susceptible to cell stress. SFM is superior to MEM in promoting HCEC survival. ..
- Chromik A, Hahn S, Daigeler A, Flier A, Bulut D, May C, et al. Gene expression analysis of cell death induction by taurolidine in different malignant cell lines. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:595 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that TRD might be involved in different signal transduction pathways leading to apoptosis. ..
- Zhan T, Digel M, Küch E, Stremmel W, Fullekrug J. Silybin and dehydrosilybin decrease glucose uptake by inhibiting GLUT proteins. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:849-59 pubmed publisher..We conclude that silybin and dehydrosilybin inhibit cellular glucose uptake by directly interacting with GLUT transporters. Glucose starvation offers a novel explanation for the anti-cancer effects of silybin. ..
- Schmidt M, Huber L, Majdazari A, Schutz G, Williams T, Rohrer H. The transcription factors AP-2? and AP-2? are required for survival of sympathetic progenitors and differentiated sympathetic neurons. Dev Biol. 2011;355:89-100 pubmed publisher..Whereas AP-2?/? transcription factors are in vivo not required for the onset or maintenance of noradrenergic differentiation, their essential survival functions are demonstrated for sympathetic progenitors and noradrenergic neurons. ..
- Arakawa H, Bednar T, Wang M, Paul K, Mladenov E, Bencsik Theilen A, et al. Functional redundancy between DNA ligases I and III in DNA replication in vertebrate cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:2599-610 pubmed publisher..Our observations demonstrate a high functional versatility for the evolutionary new LigIII in DNA replication and mitochondrial metabolism, and suggest the presence of an alternative pathway for Okazaki fragment ligation. ..
- Willenbrock S, Braun O, Baumgart J, Lange S, Junghanss C, Heisterkamp A, et al. TNF-? induced secretion of HMGB1 from non-immune canine mammary epithelial cells (MTH53A). Cytokine. 2012;57:210-20 pubmed publisher..This indicates that tumor and surrounding tissue can be stimulated by tumor present inflammatory and necrotic cytokines to release HMGB1 acting as neo-vascularizing factor thus promoting tumor growth...
- Bollig N, Brüstle A, Kellner K, Ackermann W, Abass E, Raifer H, et al. Transcription factor IRF4 determines germinal center formation through follicular T-helper cell differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:8664-9 pubmed publisher..Together with its known B lineage-specific roles during plasma cell maturation and class switch, our study places IRF4 in the center of antibody production toward T-cell-dependent antigens...
- Chatterjee M, Andrulis M, Stühmer T, Müller E, Hofmann C, Steinbrunn T, et al. The PI3K/Akt signaling pathway regulates the expression of Hsp70, which critically contributes to Hsp90-chaperone function and tumor cell survival in multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2013;98:1132-41 pubmed publisher..Translation of Hsp70 inhibition into the clinic is therefore highly desirable. Treatment with PI3K inhibitors might represent an alternative therapeutic strategy to target Hsp70. ..
- Tillich U, Lehmann S, Schulze K, Dühring U, Frohme M. The optimal mutagen dosage to induce point-mutations in Synechocystis sp. PCC6803 and its application to promote temperature tolerance. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49467 pubmed publisher..In a combined approach with full genome sequencing random mutagenesis could be used to determine suitable target-genes for more focused methods. ..
- Shahbazi E, Moradi S, Nemati S, Satarian L, Basiri M, Gourabi H, et al. Conversion of Human Fibroblasts to Stably Self-Renewing Neural Stem Cells with a Single Zinc-Finger Transcription Factor. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;6:539-551 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the Zfp521-induced NSCs predominantly expressed rostral genes. Our results suggest a facilitated approach for establishing human NSCs through Zfp521-driven conversion of fibroblasts. ..
- Pöller F, Wittig A, Sauerwein W. Calculation of boron neutron capture cell inactivation in vitro based on particle track structure and x-ray sensitivity. Radiat Environ Biophys. 1998;37:117-23 pubmed..The basic concept of this Monte-Carlo computer model is demonstrated. Validations of computer calculations are presented by comparing them with experimental data on cell survival. ..
- Weise J, Isenmann S, Bahr M. Increased expression and activation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) contribute to retinal ganglion cell death following rat optic nerve transection. Cell Death Differ. 2001;8:801-7 pubmed..Furthermore, PARP inhibition may constitute a relevant strategy for clinical treatment of traumatic brain injury...
- Tirlapur U, Konig K. Femtosecond near-infrared laser pulses as a versatile non-invasive tool for intra-tissue nanoprocessing in plants without compromising viability. Plant J. 2002;31:365-74 pubmed
- Linti C, Zipfel A, Schenk M, Dauner M, Doser M, Viebahn R, et al. Cultivation of porcine hepatocytes in polyurethane nonwovens as part of a biohybrid liver support system. Int J Artif Organs. 2002;25:994-1000 pubmed..Cells showed high viability and hepatocyte specific cytochrome P450-dependent metabolic function in culture (MEGX test)...
- Kittler R, Putz G, Pelletier L, Poser I, Heninger A, Drechsel D, et al. An endoribonuclease-prepared siRNA screen in human cells identifies genes essential for cell division. Nature. 2004;432:1036-40 pubmed..Thus, our study uncovers new aspects of cell division and establishes esiRNA as a versatile approach for genomic RNAi screens in mammalian cells. ..
- Vollmert C, Behrendt H. Bactericidal activity of flucloxacillin against Staphylococcus aureus in primary keratinocyte cultures of lesional and unaffected skin of patients suffering from atopic dermatitis. Exp Dermatol. 2005;14:215-24 pubmed..9 successfully isolated, sterile and proliferating cultures out of 10 contaminated skin biopsies, which is comparable to normal human keratinocyte isolation rates. ..
- Weiler M, Bähr O, Hohlweg U, Naumann U, Rieger J, Huang H, et al. BCL-xL: time-dependent dissociation between modulation of apoptosis and invasiveness in human malignant glioma cells. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:1156-69 pubmed..These data allow to dissect a direct antiapoptotic action of BCL-xL from an indirect effect, presumably mediated by altered gene expression, which modifies tumor cell invasiveness in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Muller A, Sonkoly E, Eulert C, Gerber P, Kubitza R, Schirlau K, et al. Chemokine receptors in head and neck cancer: association with metastatic spread and regulation during chemotherapy. Int J Cancer. 2006;118:2147-57 pubmed
- GRUNWALD D, Spottke B, Buschmann V, Kubitscheck U. Intranuclear binding kinetics and mobility of single native U1 snRNP particles in living cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:5017-27 pubmed
- Sousa M, Ousingsawat J, Seitz R, Puntheeranurak S, Regalado A, Schmidt A, et al. An extract from the medicinal plant Phyllanthus acidus and its isolated compounds induce airway chloride secretion: A potential treatment for cystic fibrosis. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;71:366-76 pubmed..These combinatorial effects on epithelial transport may provide a novel complementary nutraceutical treatment for the CF lung disease...
- Gehrke I, Gandhirajan R, Poll Wolbeck S, Hallek M, Kreuzer K. Bone marrow stromal cell-derived vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) rather than chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) cell-derived VEGF is essential for the apoptotic resistance of cultured CLL cells. Mol Med. 2011;17:619-27 pubmed publisher..Hence, therapeutic targeting of VEGF signaling might be a promising approach to overcome the apoptotic resistance CLL cells feature within their natural microenvironment. ..
- Lang F, Ullrich S, Gulbins E. Ceramide formation as a target in beta-cell survival and function. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2011;15:1061-71 pubmed publisher..The role of ceramide in ?-cell survival and function may be therapeutically relevant, because ceramide formation can be suppressed by pharmacological inhibition of ceramide synthetase and/or sphingomyelinase. ..
- Tietze L, Schmuck K. Prodrugs for targeted tumor therapies: recent developments in ADEPT, GDEPT and PMT. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17:3527-47 pubmed..Notably, the corresponding drugs have tremendously high cytotoxicities with IC(50) values of down to 110 fM. ..
- Huber S, Misovic M, Mayer C, Rodemann H, Dittmann K. EGFR-mediated stimulation of sodium/glucose cotransport promotes survival of irradiated human A549 lung adenocarcinoma cells. Radiother Oncol. 2012;103:373-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest an irradiation-stimulated and EGFR-mediated increase in SGLT-generated glucose uptake which is required for the survival of the genotoxically stressed tumor cells. ..
- Huebinger J, Han H, Hofnagel O, Vetter I, Bastiaens P, Grabenbauer M. Direct Measurement of Water States in Cryopreserved Cells Reveals Tolerance toward Ice Crystallization. Biophys J. 2016;110:840-9 pubmed publisher..The applied cryoprotective agents determine which crystal size is tolerable. This suggests that cryoprotectants can act by inhibiting crystallization or recrystallization, but they also increase the tolerance toward ice-crystal growth. ..
- Navas J, Segner H. Estrogen-mediated suppression of cytochrome P4501A (CYP1A) expression in rainbow trout hepatocytes: role of estrogen receptor. Chem Biol Interact. 2001;138:285-98 pubmed..The results from these in vitro experiments provide evidence (a) that the ER is involved in the suppressive action of E2 on CYP1A, and (b) that E2 inhibitory action does not overcome xenobiotic induction of CYP1A. ..
- Gross Steinmeyer K, Weymann J, Hege H, Metzler M. Metabolism and lack of DNA reactivity of the mycotoxin ochratoxin a in cultured rat and human primary hepatocytes. J Agric Food Chem. 2002;50:938-45 pubmed..In conclusion, the results of this in vitro study do not support the notion that OTA has the potential to undergo metabolic activation and form covalent DNA adducts in rodents and humans. ..
- Kirsch M, Terheggen U, Hofmann H. Ciliary neurotrophic factor is an early lesion-induced retrograde signal for axotomized facial motoneurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2003;24:130-8 pubmed..Other cytokines like leukemia inhibitory factor obviously become active at later time points. ..
- Katchanov J, Waeber C, Gertz K, Gietz A, Winter B, Bruck W, et al. Selective neuronal vulnerability following mild focal brain ischemia in the mouse. Brain Pathol. 2003;13:452-64 pubmed..A low density of glutamate receptors, the ability to sequester calcium by calcium-binding proteins and other hitherto unidentified factors may explain this relative resistance of interneurons to acute ischemia. ..
- Milenkovic D, Kozjak V, Wiedemann N, Lohaus C, Meyer H, Guiard B, et al. Sam35 of the mitochondrial protein sorting and assembly machinery is a peripheral outer membrane protein essential for cell viability. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:22781-5 pubmed..Sam35 is not required for the import of inner membrane or matrix targeted proteins. The presence of two essential proteins in the SAM complex, Sam35 and Sam50, indicates that it plays a central role in mitochondrial biogenesis. ..
- Weibezahn J, Tessarz P, Schlieker C, Zahn R, Maglica Z, Lee S, et al. Thermotolerance requires refolding of aggregated proteins by substrate translocation through the central pore of ClpB. Cell. 2004;119:653-65 pubmed..The activity switch of BAP to a degrading disaggregase does not support thermotolerance development, demonstrating that cell survival during severe thermal stress requires reactivation of aggregated proteins. ..
- Fischbach A, Adelt S, M ller A, Vogel G. Disruption of inositol biosynthesis through targeted mutagenesis in Dictyostelium discoideum: generation and characterization of inositol-auxotrophic mutants. Biochem J. 2006;397:509-18 pubmed publisher..In a first attempt to characterize this as a physiologically relevant response, the efficient in vitro inhibition of a D. discoideum inositol-polyphosphate 5-phosphatase (EC 22.214.171.124) by 2,3-BPG is presented...
- Heisterkamp A, Baumgart J, Maxwell I, Ngezahayo A, Mazur E, Lubatschowski H. Fs-laser scissors for photobleaching, ablation in fixed samples and living cells, and studies of cell mechanics. Methods Cell Biol. 2007;82:293-307 pubmed
- Zettner M, Flor S, Ludewig G, Wagner J, Robertson L, Lehmann L. Quinoid metabolites of 4-monochlorobiphenyl induce gene mutations in cultured Chinese hamster v79 cells. Toxicol Sci. 2007;100:88-98 pubmed..Thus, the present study demonstrates for the first time the mutagenicity of PCB3 metabolites in mammalian cells and identifies quinoid metabolites of PCB3 as potential ultimate mutagens. ..
- Colombo Benkmann M, Li Z, Riemann B, Hengst K, Herbst H, Keuser R, et al. Characterization of the RET protooncogene transmembrane domain mutation S649L associated with nonaggressive medullary thyroid carcinoma. Eur J Endocrinol. 2008;158:811-6 pubmed publisher..Recommendations for prophylactic thyroidectomy should be individualized depending on stimulated calcitonin levels. ..
- Zscharnack K, Kessler R, Bleichert F, Warnke J, Eschrich K. The PFKFB3 splice variant UBI2K4 is downregulated in high-grade astrocytomas and impedes the growth of U87 glioblastoma cells. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2009;35:566-78 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the splice variant UBI2K4 impedes the tumour cell growth and might serve as a tumour suppressor in astrocytic tumours. ..
- Ostrau C, Hülsenbeck J, Herzog M, Schad A, Torzewski M, Lackner K, et al. Lovastatin attenuates ionizing radiation-induced normal tissue damage in vivo. Radiother Oncol. 2009;92:492-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, lovastatin might be useful for selectively attenuating acute and subchronic normal tissue damage caused by radiotherapy. ..
- Picker S, Schneider V, Oustianskaia L, Gathof B. Cell viability during platelet storage in correlation to cellular metabolism after different pathogen reduction technologies. Transfusion. 2009;49:2311-8 pubmed publisher..During terminal storage, this resulted in significantly lower maintenance of ATP and cell viability. The impact of these findings for storage prolongation or clinical use must await further evaluation. ..
- Barisic S, Schmidt C, Walczak H, Kulms D. Tyrosine phosphatase inhibition triggers sustained canonical serine-dependent NFkappaB activation via Src-dependent blockade of PP2A. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010;80:439-47 pubmed publisher..Additionally to the known survival pathways triggered by Src, Src-mediated canonical and persistent NFkappaB activation may fortify its tumorigenic effects. ..
- Alloussi S, Alkassar M, Urbschat S, Graf N, Gartner B. All reovirus subtypes show oncolytic potential in primary cells of human high-grade glioma. Oncol Rep. 2011;26:645-9 pubmed publisher..We show the relationship and correlation between RAS protein overexpression and vulnerability of cells to reovirus. Efficacy of the different subtypes is interindividually different and cannot be forecast. ..
- Wohlfart S, Khalansky A, Bernreuther C, Michaelis M, Cinatl J, Glatzel M, et al. Treatment of glioblastoma with poly(isohexyl cyanoacrylate) nanoparticles. Int J Pharm. 2011;415:244-51 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that poly(isohexyl cyanoacrylate) nanoparticles hold great promise for the non-invasive therapy of human glioblastomas. ..
- Eke I, Dickreuter E, Cordes N. Enhanced radiosensitivity of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells by β1 integrin inhibition. Radiother Oncol. 2012;104:235-42 pubmed publisher..Further studies are warranted to evaluate whether targeting β1 integrin emerges as novel approach to improve radiotherapy patients' outcome. ..
- Song J, Lokmic Z, Lämmermann T, Rolf J, Wu C, Zhang X, et al. Extracellular matrix of secondary lymphoid organs impacts on B-cell fate and survival. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E2915-24 pubmed publisher..Data suggest that the unique 3D structure and biochemical composition of the ECM of lymphoid organs impacts on immune cell fate. ..
- Petroni K, Trinei M, Fornari M, Calvenzani V, Marinelli A, Micheli L, et al. Dietary cyanidin 3-glucoside from purple corn ameliorates doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in mice. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;27:462-469 pubmed publisher..In addition, ultrastructural analysis of hearts from mice fed RD showed reduced histopathological alterations. Dietary intake of C3G from purple corn protects mice against DOX-induced cardiotoxicity. ..
- Ahlemeyer B, Möwes A, Krieglstein J. Inhibition of serum deprivation- and staurosporine-induced neuronal apoptosis by Ginkgo biloba extract and some of its constituents. Eur J Pharmacol. 1999;367:423-30 pubmed..Our results suggest that EGb and some of its constituents possess anti-apoptotic capacity and that bilobalide is the most potent constituent. ..
- Brodski C, Schnurch H, Dechant G. Neurotrophin-3 promotes the cholinergic differentiation of sympathetic neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:9683-8 pubmed..These results suggest a role for NT3 as a differentiation factor for cholinergic neurons and establish a link between neurotrophins and neurotransmitter plasticity. ..
- Stucky C, Rossi J, Airaksinen M, Lewin G. GFR alpha2/neurturin signalling regulates noxious heat transduction in isolectin B4-binding mouse sensory neurons. J Physiol. 2002;545:43-50 pubmed..Our data are the first to indicate a transduction-function role for GFR alpha2/neurturin signalling in a specific class of sensory neurons. ..
- Subramaniam S, Strelau J, Unsicker K. Growth differentiation factor-15 prevents low potassium-induced cell death of cerebellar granule neurons by differential regulation of Akt and ERK pathways. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:8904-12 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that GDF-15 prevented generation of reactive oxygen species, a known activator of ERK. Together, our data suggest that GDF-15 prevents apoptosis in CGN by activating Akt and inhibiting endogenously active ERK. ..
- Berchner Pfannschmidt U, Petrat F, Doege K, Trinidad B, Freitag P, Metzen E, et al. Chelation of cellular calcium modulates hypoxia-inducible gene expression through activation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:44976-86 pubmed..Instead, effective chelation of cellular calcium caused the accumulation of HIF-1alpha protein through inhibition of HIF-prolyl hydroxylases and activated HIF-1-dependent gene expression under normoxic conditions. ..
- Neuhofer W, Beck F. Cell survival in the hostile environment of the renal medulla. Annu Rev Physiol. 2005;67:531-55 pubmed
- Schwerdt G, Freudinger R, Schuster C, Weber F, Thews O, Gekle M. Cisplatin-induced apoptosis is enhanced by hypoxia and by inhibition of mitochondria in renal collecting duct cells. Toxicol Sci. 2005;85:735-42 pubmed..We demonstrate that intact mitochondria are important to prevent cisplatin-induced apoptosis in MDCK-C7 cells and that acidic conditions can aggravate the toxic effects of cisplatin. ..
- Hoyer B, Manz R, Radbruch A, Hiepe F. Long-lived plasma cells and their contribution to autoimmunity. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1050:124-33 pubmed..Thus, strategies for targeting long-lived plasma cells may provide potent new treatment modalities. ..
- Wäldele K, Silbermann K, Schneider G, Ruckes T, Cullen B, Grassmann R. Requirement of the human T-cell leukemia virus (HTLV-1) tax-stimulated HIAP-1 gene for the survival of transformed lymphocytes. Blood. 2006;107:4491-9 pubmed..Moreover, this points to HIAP-1 as an important target of the HTLV-1-mediated NF-kappaB activation. ..
- Kretz A, Jacob A, Tausch S, Straten G, Isenmann S. Regulation of GDNF and its receptor components GFR-alpha1, -alpha2 and Ret during development and in the mature retino-collicular pathway. Brain Res. 2006;1090:1-14 pubmed..Postlesionally, midbrain targets do not induce GDNF, suggesting that retrograde GDNF is not essential for rescue of adult injured retinal ganglion cells (RGCs). ..
- Bonnet U, Scherbaum N, Wiemann M. The endogenous alkaloid harmane: acidifying and activity-reducing effects on hippocampal neurons in vitro. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2008;32:362-7 pubmed..Harmane may modulate neuronal functions via altered pH(i)-regulation. Implications of these findings for neuronal survival are discussed. ..
- Wiese S, Jablonka S, Holtmann B, Orel N, Rajagopal R, Chao M, et al. Adenosine receptor A2A-R contributes to motoneuron survival by transactivating the tyrosine kinase receptor TrkB. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:17210-5 pubmed
- Werner C, Bohm M, Friedrich E. Role of integrin-linked kinase for functional capacity of endothelial progenitor cells in patients with stable coronary artery disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;377:331-336 pubmed publisher..Functionally, ILK is necessary and sufficient for SDF-1-triggered migration and adhesion in EPCs. These data extend current knowledge about the role of ILK in EPC biology and implicate ILK as a therapeutic target in CAD. ..
- Fischer T, Schomacker K, Schicha H. Diethylstilbestrol (DES) labeled with Auger emitters: potential radiopharmaceutical for therapy of estrogen receptor-positive tumors and their metastases?. Int J Radiat Biol. 2008;84:1112-22 pubmed publisher..Labeled DES is a promising compound with high cytotoxic potential for treatment of ER-positive mamma carcinomas and their metastases. ..
- Eisenblätter M, Ehrchen J, Varga G, Sunderkotter C, Heindel W, Roth J, et al. In vivo optical imaging of cellular inflammatory response in granuloma formation using fluorescence-labeled macrophages. J Nucl Med. 2009;50:1676-82 pubmed publisher..The tagging of Ms with DiR allows the noninvasive tracking of inflammatory cells for several days in vivo. FRI and FMT are versatile techniques to monitor and quantify cellular inflammatory responses in vivo. ..
- Kim G, Georg I, Scherthan H, Merkenschlager M, Guillou F, Scherer G, et al. Dicer is required for Sertoli cell function and survival. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:867-75 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results of this study show that Dicer is required for Sertoli cell function and survival and for spermatogenesis in mice. ..
- Sauer V, Siaj R, Todorov T, Zibert A, Schmidt H. Overexpressed ATP7B protects mesenchymal stem cells from toxic copper. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;395:307-11 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that ATP7B overexpression provides an important selection advantage to MSCs in high copper microenvironments, and may represent novel cell transplants for therapy of WD. ..
- DÃ¼fer M, Neye Y, HÃ¶rth K, Krippeit Drews P, Hennige A, Widmer H, et al. BK channels affect glucose homeostasis and cell viability of murine pancreatic beta cells. Diabetologia. 2011;54:423-32 pubmed publisher..In addition, BK channels are part of a defence mechanism against apoptosis and oxidative stress. ..
- Schillers H, Walte M, Urbanova K, Oberleithner H. Real-time monitoring of cell elasticity reveals oscillating myosin activity. Biophys J. 2010;99:3639-46 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the collective activities of the myosin motor proteins define overall mechanical cell dynamics, reflecting specific changes of the chemical and mechanical environment. ..
- Grotjohann T, Testa I, Leutenegger M, Bock H, Urban N, Lavoie Cardinal F, et al. Diffraction-unlimited all-optical imaging and writing with a photochromic GFP. Nature. 2011;478:204-8 pubmed publisher..The reversible switching also enables all-optical writing of features with subdiffraction size and spacings, which can be used for data storage. ..
- Sigusch B, Pflaum T, Völpel A, Gretsch K, Hoy S, Watts D, et al. Resin-composite cytotoxicity varies with shade and irradiance. Dent Mater. 2012;28:312-9 pubmed publisher..It was observed that composites of the darker shade (C2) had a higher cytotoxicity, which varied with the LCU employed. ..
- Makarova G, Bette M, Schmidt A, Jacob R, Cai C, Rodepeter F, et al. Epidermal growth factor-induced modulation of cytokeratin expression levels influences the morphological phenotype of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells. Cell Tissue Res. 2013;351:59-72 pubmed publisher..In summary, the data points to a possible role of EGFR in modulating HNSCC cell morphology. ..
- Venturelli S, Berger A, BÃ¶cker A, Busch C, Weiland T, Noor S, et al. Resveratrol as a pan-HDAC inhibitor alters the acetylation status of histone [corrected] proteins in human-derived hepatoblastoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73097 pubmed publisher..Moreover, resveratrol may serve as a lead structure for chemical optimization of bioavailability, pharmacology or HDAC inhibition. ..
- Itkin T, Gur Cohen S, Spencer J, Schajnovitz A, Ramasamy S, Kusumbe A, et al. Distinct bone marrow blood vessels differentially regulate haematopoiesis. Nature. 2016;532:323-8 pubmed publisher..These findings may have relevance for clinical haematopoietic stem cell transplantation and mobilization protocols. ..
- Fischer Huchzermeyer S, Dombrowski A, Hagel C, Mautner V, Schittenhelm J, Harder A. The Cellular Retinoic Acid Binding Protein 2 Promotes Survival of Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Cells. Am J Pathol. 2017;187:1623-1632 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a retinoic acid-independent, non-tumor suppressor role of CRABP2 for the survival of MPNST cells in vitro. Targeting CRABP2 overexpression may represent a unique approach for the treatment of human MPNSTs. ..
- Kalla R, Liu Z, Xu S, Koppius A, Imai Y, Kloss C, et al. Microglia and the early phase of immune surveillance in the axotomized facial motor nucleus: impaired microglial activation and lymphocyte recruitment but no effect on neuronal survival or axonal regeneration in macrophage-colony stimulating factor-d. J Comp Neurol. 2001;436:182-201 pubmed..However, it is important in the initiation of inflammatory changes in the brain and in the interaction with the immune system. ..
- Zander T, Kraus J, Grommes C, Schlegel U, Feinstein D, Klockgether T, et al. Induction of apoptosis in human and rat glioma by agonists of the nuclear receptor PPARgamma. J Neurochem. 2002;81:1052-60 pubmed..Taken together, treatment of glioma cells with PPARgamma agonists may hold therapeutic potential for the treatment of gliomas. ..
- Pielage J, Stork T, Bunse I, Kl mbt C. The Drosophila cell survival gene discs lost encodes a cytoplasmic Codanin-1-like protein, not a homolog of tight junction PDZ protein Patj. Dev Cell. 2003;5:841-51 pubmed..Finally, we present evidence that the PDZ protein previously thought to be encoded by dlt is not required for viability. We propose to rename this PDZ protein after its vertebrate homolog, Patj (Pals-associated tight junction protein)...
- Weyermann J, Lochmann D, Zimmer A. Comparison of antisense oligonucleotide drug delivery systems. J Control Release. 2004;100:411-23 pubmed..Sequence-specific antisense effects up to 80% were observed in the functional cell death assay. The highest reduction of NMDA expression was obtained from liposomal preparations with approximately 60% analyzed by Western blot. ..
- Vantler M, Caglayan E, Zimmermann W, Bäumer A, Rosenkranz S. Systematic evaluation of anti-apoptotic growth factor signaling in vascular smooth muscle cells. Only phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase is important. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:14168-76 pubmed..We conclude that growth factor-dependent cell survival in VSMC is mediated only by activation of the PI3K/Akt pathway, whereas all other receptor-associated signaling molecules do not play a significant role. ..
- Jager M, Schultheis A, Westhoff B, Krauspe R. Osteogenic progenitor cell potency after high-dose chemotherapy (COSS-96). Anticancer Res. 2005;25:947-54 pubmed..The uniform treatment concept of a high-dose polychemotherapy pre- and postoperatively improved the survival rate of these patients significantly. One severe side-effect of COSS chemotherapy is multiple osteonecrosis...
- Kaufmann A, Musset B, Limberg S, Renigunta V, Sus R, Dalpke A, et al. "Host tissue damage" signal ATP promotes non-directional migration and negatively regulates toll-like receptor signaling in human monocytes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:32459-67 pubmed..Thus, our data suggest that ATP promotes non-directional migration and, importantly, acts as a "host tissue damage" signal via the G(s) protein-coupled P2Y(11) receptor and increased cAMP to negatively regulate TLR signaling. ..
- Bakker T, Zbinden M, Frommen J, Weiss A, Largiader C. Slow fertilization of stickleback eggs: the result of sexual conflict?. BMC Ecol. 2006;6:7 pubmed..Slow fertilization (and concomitant prolonged longevity of sperm) may be the result of sexual conflict in which females aimed at complete fertilization and/or multiple paternity. ..
- Rey Ares V, Lazarov N, Berg D, Berg U, Kunz L, Mayerhofer A. Dopamine receptor repertoire of human granulosa cells. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2007;5:40 pubmed..This suggests a complex role of DA in the regulation of ovarian processes. ..
- Decker M, Kraus B, Heilmann J. Design, synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of hybrid molecules out of quinazolinimines and lipoic acid lead to highly potent and selective butyrylcholinesterase inhibitors with antioxidant properties. Bioorg Med Chem. 2008;16:4252-61 pubmed publisher..7 to 10.2microM and antioxidant properties are in the range of 0.4-0.8 Trolox equivalents (lipoic acid=0.6). ..
- Hartmann W, Küchler J, Koch A, Friedrichs N, Waha A, Endl E, et al. Activation of phosphatidylinositol-3'-kinase/AKT signaling is essential in hepatoblastoma survival. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:4538-45 pubmed publisher..The current study was done to analyze the role of PI3K/AKT signaling in hepatoblastoma...
- Schelter F, Gerg M, Halbgewachs B, Schaten S, Gorlach A, Schrötzlmair F, et al. Identification of a survival-independent metastasis-enhancing role of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha with a hypoxia-tolerant tumor cell line. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:26182-9 pubmed publisher..This study uncovers a new survival-independent biological function of HIF-1alpha contributing to the efficacy of metastases formation. ..
- Frömberg A, Gutsch D, Schulze D, Vollbracht C, Weiss G, Czubayko F, et al. Ascorbate exerts anti-proliferative effects through cell cycle inhibition and sensitizes tumor cells towards cytostatic drugs. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2011;67:1157-66 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, ascorbate treatment specifically enhances the cytostatic potency of certain chemotherapeutics, which implicates therapeutic benefit during tumor treatment. ..
- Kny M, Standera S, Hartmann Petersen R, Kloetzel P, Seeger M. Herp regulates Hrd1-mediated ubiquitylation in a ubiquitin-like domain-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:5151-6 pubmed publisher..In summary, we propose that binding of Herp to Hrd1-containing ERAD complexes positively regulates the ubiquitylation activity of these complexes, thus permitting survival of the cell during ER stress. ..
- Kloo B, Nagel D, Pfeifer M, Grau M, Duwel M, Vincendeau M, et al. Critical role of PI3K signaling for NF-kappaB-dependent survival in a subset of activated B-cell-like diffuse large B-cell lymphoma cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:272-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a critical function of PI3K-PDK1 signaling upstream of MALT1 protease and NF-?B in distinct ABC DLBCL cells and provide a rationale for the pharmacologic use of PI3K inhibitors in DLBCL therapy. ..
- Maurer G, Brucker D, Bähr O, Harter P, Hattingen E, Walenta S, et al. Differential utilization of ketone bodies by neurons and glioma cell lines: a rationale for ketogenic diet as experimental glioma therapy. BMC Cancer. 2011;11:315 pubmed publisher..Further investigations are necessary to identify co-treatment modalities, e.g. glycolysis inhibitors or antiangiogenic agents that efficiently target non-oxidative pathways. ..