Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell respiration in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: cell respiration
- Shen J, Khan N, Lewis L, Armand R, Grinberg O, Demidenko E, et al. Oxygen consumption rates and oxygen concentration in molt-4 cells and their mtDNA depleted (rho0) mutants. Biophys J. 2003;84:1291-8 pubmed..The results are consistent with our earlier findings suggesting that such oxygen gradients may be a general phenomenon found in most or all cell systems under appropriate conditions. ..
- Jones C, Han Z, Presley T, Varadharaj S, Zweier J, Ilangovan G, et al. Endothelial cell respiration is affected by the oxygen tension during shear exposure: role of mitochondrial peroxynitrite. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;295:C180-91 pubmed publisher..Hence, the hyperoxia of in vitro EC flow studies, via increased NO and mitochondrial O(2)(*-) production, leads to enhanced ONOO(-) formation intramitochondrially and suppression of respiration. ..
- Jones T, Brewer G. Critical age-related loss of cofactors of neuron cytochrome C oxidase reversed by estrogen. Exp Neurol. 2009;215:212-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the data suggest this deficit can be corrected with estrogen treatment. ..
- Milakovic T, Johnson G. Mitochondrial respiration and ATP production are significantly impaired in striatal cells expressing mutant huntingtin. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30773-82 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that the presence of mutant huntingtin impairs mitochondrial ATP production through one or more mechanisms that do not directly affect the function of the respiration complexes. ..
- Pandian R, Kutala V, Parinandi N, Zweier J, Kuppusamy P. Measurement of oxygen consumption in mouse aortic endothelial cells using a microparticulate oximetry probe. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2003;420:169-75 pubmed..This study clearly demonstrated the utilization of EPR spectrometry with LiNc-BuO probe for determination of oxygen concentration in cultured cells. ..
- Gilmer L, Ansari M, Roberts K, Scheff S. Age-related changes in mitochondrial respiration and oxidative damage in the cerebral cortex of the Fischer 344 rat. Mech Ageing Dev. 2010;131:133-43 pubmed publisher..Levels of oxidative damage that accumulates in the cortex with age does not appear to significantly impair cortical mitochondrial respiration of F344 rats. ..
- Stackley K, Beeson C, Rahn J, Chan S. Bioenergetic profiling of zebrafish embryonic development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25652 pubmed publisher..The multiwell format of this assay enables the user to screen for the effects of drugs and environmental agents on bioenergetics in the zebrafish embryo with high sensitivity and reproducibility. ..
- Rosca M, Minkler P, Hoppel C. Cardiac mitochondria in heart failure: normal cardiolipin profile and increased threonine phosphorylation of complex IV. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1807:1373-82 pubmed publisher..We propose that phosphorylation of specific complex IV subunits decreases oxidative phosphorylation either by limiting the incorporation of complex IV in supercomplexes or by decreasing supercomplex stability. ..
- Smuder A, Min K, Hudson M, Kavazis A, Kwon O, Nelson W, et al. Endurance exercise attenuates ventilator-induced diaphragm dysfunction. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2012;112:501-10 pubmed publisher..These findings are important and establish the need for future experiments to determine the mechanism(s) responsible for exercise-induced diaphragm protection. ..
- Kavazis A, Talbert E, Smuder A, Hudson M, Nelson W, Powers S. Mechanical ventilation induces diaphragmatic mitochondrial dysfunction and increased oxidant production. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;46:842-50 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these results are consistent with the concept that diaphragmatic inactivity promotes an increase in mitochondrial ROS emission, mitochondrial oxidative damage, and mitochondrial respiratory dysfunction. ..
- Supinski G, Murphy M, Callahan L. MitoQ administration prevents endotoxin-induced cardiac dysfunction. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;297:R1095-102 pubmed publisher..01). These data demonstrate that MitoQ is a potent inhibitor of endotoxin-induced mitochondrial and cardiac abnormalities. We speculate that this agent may prove a novel therapy for sepsis-induced cardiac dysfunction. ..
- O Shea K, Khairallah R, Sparagna G, Xu W, Hecker P, Robillard Frayne I, et al. Dietary omega-3 fatty acids alter cardiac mitochondrial phospholipid composition and delay Ca2+-induced permeability transition. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009;47:819-27 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, dietary supplementation with EPA + DHA altered mitochondrial membrane phospholipid fatty acid composition in normal and infarcted hearts, but delayed MPTP opening only in normal hearts. ..
- Bond Lamberty B, Wang C, Gower S. Contribution of root respiration to soil surface CO2 flux in a boreal black spruce chronosequence. Tree Physiol. 2004;24:1387-95 pubmed..Evidence suggests that RC may have been underestimated in the oldest stands, with residual root decay from trenching accounting for 5-10% of trenched plot RS at most sites. ..
- Villani G, Attardi G. Polarographic assays of respiratory chain complex activity. Methods Cell Biol. 2007;80:121-33 pubmed
- Liu Y, Villamena F, Sun J, Wang T, Zweier J. Esterified trityl radicals as intracellular oxygen probes. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;46:876-83 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that these esterified trityl radicals can function as effective EPR oximetry probes measuring intracellular O2 concentration and consumption. ..
- Yang Y, Gangoiti J, Sedensky M, Morgan P. The effect of different ubiquinones on lifespan in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mech Ageing Dev. 2009;130:370-6 pubmed publisher..Moreover, when compared to other dietary quinones, UQ(10) further decreased mitochondrial oxidative damage and extended adult lifespan in clk-1. ..
- Thomas R, Khan S, Portell F, Smigrodzki R, Bennett J. Recombinant human mitochondrial transcription factor A stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis and ATP synthesis, improves motor function after MPTP, reduces oxidative stress and increases survival after endotoxin. Mitochondrion. 2011;11:108-18 pubmed publisher..rhTFAM treatment improved motor recovery rate after treatment with MPTP and dose-dependently improved survival in the lipopolysaccharide model of endotoxin sepsis. ..
- Jung D, Panzeter E, Baysal K, Brierley G. On the relationship between matrix free Mg2+ concentration and total Mg2+ in heart mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1320:310-20 pubmed..This suggests that [Mg2+]m is well-buffered during osmotic volume changes unless there is also a change in ligand availability. ..
- Edgerton M, Koshlukova S, Araujo M, Patel R, Dong J, Bruenn J. Salivary histatin 5 and human neutrophil defensin 1 kill Candida albicans via shared pathways. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:3310-6 pubmed
- Marunde M, Samarajeewa D, Anderson J, Li S, Hand S, Menze M. Improved tolerance to salt and water stress in Drosophila melanogaster cells conferred by late embryogenesis abundant protein. J Insect Physiol. 2013;59:377-86 pubmed publisher..36 g H2O/g DW vs.1.02 g H2O/g DW). Thus, AfLEA1.3 exerts a protective influence on mitochondrial function and increases viability of Kc167 cells during water stress. ..
- Miller D, Singh I, Wang J, Hall E. Administration of the Nrf2-ARE activators sulforaphane and carnosic acid attenuates 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal-induced mitochondrial dysfunction ex vivo. Free Radic Biol Med. 2013;57:1-9 pubmed publisher..Ongoing studies will determine the therapeutic efficacy of Nrf2-ARE activators to attenuate traumatic brain injury-induced pathophysiology. ..
- Sridharan V, Guichard J, Li C, Muise Helmericks R, Beeson C, Wright G. O(2)-sensing signal cascade: clamping of O(2) respiration, reduced ATP utilization, and inducible fumarate respiration. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;295:C29-37 pubmed publisher..The PHD pathway also enables the mitochondria to utilize fumarate for respiration. ..
- Slot M, Wright S, Kitajima K. Foliar respiration and its temperature sensitivity in trees and lianas: in situ measurements in the upper canopy of a tropical forest. Tree Physiol. 2013;33:505-15 pubmed publisher..Similarity in respiration characteristics across PFTs, and relatively strong correlations of R with other leaf functional traits offer potential for trait-based vegetation modeling in species-rich tropical forests. ..
- Mao S, Liu Y, Morgan J, Jekabsons M, Zhou Y, Nagle D. Lipophilic 2,5-disubstituted pyrroles from the marine sponge Mycale sp. inhibit mitochondrial respiration and HIF-1 activation. J Nat Prod. 2009;72:1927-36 pubmed publisher..By inhibiting electron transport (or delivery) to complex III under hypoxic conditions, lipophilic Mycale pyrroles appear to disrupt mitochondrial ROS-regulated HIF-1 signaling. ..
- Knyushko T, Sharov V, Williams T, SCHONEICH C, Bigelow D. 3-Nitrotyrosine modification of SERCA2a in the aging heart: a distinct signature of the cellular redox environment. Biochemistry. 2005;44:13071-81 pubmed
- Hixon M, Sinerius G, Schneider A, Walter C, Fessner W, Schloss J. Quo vadis photorespiration: a tale of two aldolases. FEBS Lett. 1996;392:281-4 pubmed..The former enzyme has an oxygenase activity, while the latter does not, suggesting that the reaction with O2 is not inevitable. ..
- Chang H, Tran T, Billman G, Julian M, Hamlin R, Simonetti O, et al. At-risk but viable myocardium in a large animal model of non ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome: cardiovascular magnetic resonance with ex vivo validation. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2013;15:94 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that a novel model of NSTE-ACS produces acute myocardial injury, measured by increased T2 cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR), without significant necrosis by late gadolinium enhancement (LGE)...
- Donato V, Bonora M, Simoneschi D, Sartini D, Kudo Y, Saraf A, et al. The TDH-GCN5L1-Fbxo15-KBP axis limits mitochondrial biogenesis in mouse embryonic stem cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:341-351 pubmed publisher..Thus, KBP proteolysis limits the accumulation of mitochondria in mESCs to preserve their optimal fitness, whereas KBP accumulation promotes mitochondrial biogenesis in differentiating cells. ..
- Bordt E, Clerc P, Roelofs B, Saladino A, Tretter L, Adam Vizi V, et al. The Putative Drp1 Inhibitor mdivi-1 Is a Reversible Mitochondrial Complex I Inhibitor that Modulates Reactive Oxygen Species. Dev Cell. 2017;40:583-594.e6 pubmed publisher..2 mM). Overall, these results suggest that mdivi-1 is not a specific Drp1 inhibitor. The ability of mdivi-1 to reversibly inhibit complex I and modify mitochondrial ROS production may contribute to effects observed in disease models. ..
- Sompol P, Ittarat W, Tangpong J, Chen Y, Doubinskaia I, Batinic Haberle I, et al. A neuronal model of Alzheimer's disease: an insight into the mechanisms of oxidative stress-mediated mitochondrial injury. Neuroscience. 2008;153:120-30 pubmed publisher..However, continuing development of neurons under oxidative damage conditions may suppress the expression of MnSOD and enhance cell death in mature neurons. ..
- Giering S, Sanders R, Lampitt R, Anderson T, Tamburini C, Boutrif M, et al. Reconciliation of the carbon budget in the ocean's twilight zone. Nature. 2014;507:480-3 pubmed publisher..The synergy between microbes and zooplankton in the twilight zone is important to our understanding of the processes controlling the oceanic carbon sink. ..
- Yvon Durocher G, Allen A, Bastviken D, Conrad R, Gudasz C, St Pierre A, et al. Methane fluxes show consistent temperature dependence across microbial to ecosystem scales. Nature. 2014;507:488-91 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that global warming may have a large impact on the relative contributions of CO2 and CH4 to total greenhouse gas emissions from aquatic ecosystems, terrestrial wetlands and rice paddies. ..
- Shapovalov Y, Hoffman D, Zuch D, de Mesy Bentley K, Eliseev R. Mitochondrial dysfunction in cancer cells due to aberrant mitochondrial replication. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:22331-8 pubmed publisher..Our study provides insight into mechanisms of mitochondrial dysfunction in cancer and may offer potential therapeutic targets. ..
- Presley T, Vedam K, Velayutham M, Zweier J, Ilangovan G. Activation of Hsp90-eNOS and increased NO generation attenuate respiration of hypoxia-treated endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;295:C1281-91 pubmed publisher..The present mechanistic insight will be helpful to understand the difference in the magnitude of endothelial dysfunction. ..
- Lashin O, Szweda P, Szweda L, Romani A. Decreased complex II respiration and HNE-modified SDH subunit in diabetic heart. Free Radic Biol Med. 2006;40:886-96 pubmed
- Tao Z, Raffel R, Souid A, Goodisman J. Kinetic studies on enzyme-catalyzed reactions: oxidation of glucose, decomposition of hydrogen peroxide and their combination. Biophys J. 2009;96:2977-88 pubmed publisher..Added NaCN inhibited O2 consumption completely, confirming that oxidation occurred in the cellular mitochondrial respiratory chain. ..
- Wilson R, Minton G. The comparative uptake of Ba2+ and other alkaline earth metals by plant mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1974;333:22-7 pubmed..It is suggested that salt transport in plant mitochondria involves a carrier complex which binds both divalent cations and Pi...
- Rao S, Sigl V, Wimmer R, Novatchkova M, Jais A, Wagner G, et al. RANK rewires energy homeostasis in lung cancer cells and drives primary lung cancer. Genes Dev. 2017;31:2099-2112 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of RANK using the approved drug denosumab may be a therapeutic drug candidate for primary lung cancer. ..
- Johnson D, Cano K, Kroger E, McNabb D. Novel regulatory function for the CCAAT-binding factor in Candida albicans. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1662-76 pubmed..These data provide the first evidence that the CCAAT-binding factor can act as a transcriptional repressor and raise new and interesting questions about how carbon metabolism is regulated in this opportunistic human pathogen. ..
- Kitagaki H, Cowart L, Matmati N, Montefusco D, Gandy J, de Avalos S, et al. ISC1-dependent metabolic adaptation reveals an indispensable role for mitochondria in induction of nuclear genes during the diauxic shift in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:10818-30 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a novel role for Isc1p in allowing the reprogramming of gene expression during the transition from anaerobic to aerobic metabolism. ..
- Zhao X, He G, Chen Y, Pandian R, Kuppusamy P, Zweier J. Endothelium-derived nitric oxide regulates postischemic myocardial oxygenation and oxygen consumption by modulation of mitochondrial electron transport. Circulation. 2005;111:2966-72 pubmed..The marked myocardial hyperoxygenation in reperfused myocardium may be a critical factor that triggers postischemic remodeling. ..
- Mason K, Stofan D, Szweda L. Inhibition of very long chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase during cardiac ischemia. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2005;437:138-43 pubmed..However, the dramatic increase in mitochondrial state 4 respiration would be predicted to accentuate the imbalance between energy production and utilization. ..
- Aggarwal N, Pravdic D, McNally E, Bosnjak Z, Shi N, Makielski J. The mitochondrial bioenergetic phenotype for protection from cardiac ischemia in SUR2 mutant mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;299:H1884-90 pubmed publisher..These results have implications for possible SUR2 participation in mitochondrial K(ATP)...
- Kowaltowski A, Seetharaman S, Paucek P, Garlid K. Bioenergetic consequences of opening the ATP-sensitive K(+) channel of heart mitochondria. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;280:H649-57 pubmed..Thus opening mitochondrial K(ATP) channels has little direct effect on respiration, membrane potential, or Ca(2+) uptake but has important effects on matrix and intermembrane space volumes. ..
- Ilangovan G, Osinbowale S, Bratasz A, Bonar M, Cardounel A, Zweier J, et al. Heat shock regulates the respiration of cardiac H9c2 cells through upregulation of nitric oxide synthase. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;287:C1472-81 pubmed..On the basis of these results, we conclude that myocardial protection by hyperthermia occurs at least partly by the pathway of HSP90-mediated NO production, leading to subsequent attenuation of cellular respiration. ..
- Rounds C, Hepler P, Fuller S, Winship L. Oscillatory growth in lily pollen tubes does not require aerobic energy metabolism. Plant Physiol. 2010;152:736-46 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that oscillatory growth depends not on a single oscillatory pacemaker but rather is an emergent property arising from a number of stable limit cycles. ..
- Datta S, Mahdi F, Ali Z, Jekabsons M, Khan I, Nagle D, et al. Toxins in botanical dietary supplements: blue cohosh components disrupt cellular respiration and mitochondrial membrane potential. J Nat Prod. 2014;77:111-7 pubmed publisher..thalictroides constituents impair mitochondrial function by disrupting membrane integrity. These studies provide a potential etiological link between this mitochondria-sensitive form of cytotoxicity and idiosyncratic organ damage. ..
- Emerling B, Hurov J, Poulogiannis G, Tsukazawa K, Choo Wing R, Wulf G, et al. Depletion of a putatively druggable class of phosphatidylinositol kinases inhibits growth of p53-null tumors. Cell. 2013;155:844-57 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that inhibitors of PI5P4Ks could be effective in preventing or treating cancers with mutations in TP53. ..
- Ye F, Hoppel C. Measuring oxidative phosphorylation in human skin fibroblasts. Anal Biochem. 2013;437:52-8 pubmed publisher..Based on the data from the 15 normal human skin fibroblast lines, we are evaluating the use of this approach to diagnose systemic mitochondrial disease and avoid issues associated with open skeletal muscle biopsy. ..
- Kamga C, Zhang S, Wang Y. Dicarboxylate carrier-mediated glutathione transport is essential for reactive oxygen species homeostasis and normal respiration in rat brain mitochondria. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;299:C497-505 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that DIC is the main glutathione transporter in cortical mitochondria and that DIC-mediated glutathione transport is essential for these mitochondria to maintain ROS homeostasis and normal respiratory functions. ..
- Lopert P, Day B, Patel M. Thioredoxin reductase deficiency potentiates oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction and cell death in dopaminergic cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50683 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in addition to their role in the production of cellular H?O? the mitochondrial Trx/Prx system serve as a major sink for cellular H?O? and its disruption may contribute to dopaminergic pathology associated with PD. ..
- Guidot D. Endotoxin pretreatment in vivo increases the mitochondrial respiratory capacity in rat hepatocytes. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1998;354:9-17 pubmed
- Nulton Persson A, Szweda L, Sadek H. Inhibition of cardiac mitochondrial respiration by salicylic acid and acetylsalicylate. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004;44:591-5 pubmed..The effects of salicylic acid and acetylsalicylate on cardiac mitochondrial function may contribute to the known cardioprotective effects of therapeutic doses of aspirin, as well as to the toxicity associated with salicylate overdose. ..
- Deng Y, Kohlwein S, Mannella C. Fasting induces cyanide-resistant respiration and oxidative stress in the amoeba Chaos carolinensis: implications for the cubic structural transition in mitochondrial membranes. Protoplasma. 2002;219:160-7 pubmed
- Badawy S, Souid A, Cuenca V, Montalto N, Shue F. Gossypol inhibits proliferation of endometrioma cells in culture. Asian J Androl. 2007;9:388-93 pubmed..Cellular gossypol was detected in the endometrioma cell lines that were treated for 24 h with 10 and 0.3 micromol/L gossypol. Gossypol invokes a potent toxicity on cultured endometrioma cells. ..
- Tyagi N, Vacek J, Givvimani S, Sen U, Tyagi S. Cardiac specific deletion of N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor 1 ameliorates mtMMP-9 mediated autophagy/mitophagy in hyperhomocysteinemia. J Recept Signal Transduct Res. 2010;30:78-87 pubmed publisher..This led to mitophagy, in part, by activating NMDA-R1. The findings of this study will lead to therapeutic ramifications for mitigating cardiovascular diseases by inhibiting the mitochondrial mitophagy and NMDA-R1 receptor. ..
- Bedekovics T, Li H, Gajdos G, Isaya G. Leucine biosynthesis regulates cytoplasmic iron-sulfur enzyme biogenesis in an Atm1p-independent manner. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:40878-88 pubmed publisher..Thus, still largely unknown transcriptional and post-transcriptional mechanisms control ISC distribution between mitochondria and other cellular compartments...
- Salem K, van Waasbergen L. Photosynthetic electron transport controls expression of the high light inducible gene in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus elongatus strain PCC 7942. Plant Cell Physiol. 2004;45:651-8 pubmed..Modest up-regulation occurs in LL by treatment with 3-(3,4-dichlorophenyl)-1,1-dimethylurea, but this is related to effects on hliA mRNA stability rather than on transcription. ..
- Potla R, Koeck T, Wegrzyn J, Cherukuri S, Shimoda K, Baker D, et al. Tyk2 tyrosine kinase expression is required for the maintenance of mitochondrial respiration in primary pro-B lymphocytes. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8562-71 pubmed..Finally, Tyk2(-/-) mice show decreased exercise tolerance compared to wild-type littermates. Our results implicate a novel role for Tyk2 kinase and Stat3 phosphorylation in mitochondrial respiration. ..
- Du L, Mahdi F, Jekabsons M, Nagle D, Zhou Y. Natural and semisynthetic mammea-type isoprenylated dihydroxycoumarins uncouple cellular respiration. J Nat Prod. 2011;74:240-8 pubmed publisher..Mechanistic studies indicate that these compounds act as anionic protonophores that potently uncouple mitochondrial electron transport and disrupt hypoxic signaling...
- Zhao N, Liu C, Van Ingelgom A, Martens Y, Linares C, Knight J, et al. Apolipoprotein E4 Impairs Neuronal Insulin Signaling by Trapping Insulin Receptor in the Endosomes. Neuron. 2017;96:115-129.e5 pubmed publisher..Together, our study provides novel mechanistic insights into the pathogenic mechanisms of apoE4 and insulin resistance in AD. ..
- Reichlen M, Leistikow R, Scobey M, Born S, Voskuil M. Anaerobic Mycobacterium tuberculosis Cell Death Stems from Intracellular Acidification Mitigated by the DosR Regulon. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..Together, these findings indicate that in the absence of aerobic respiration, protection from internal acidification is crucial for long-term M. tuberculosis survival. ..
- Kannurpatti S, Biswal B. Mitochondrial Ca2+ uniporter blockers influence activation-induced CBF response in the rat somatosensory cortex. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2008;28:772-85 pubmed..We conclude that mitochondrial calcium signaling through the MCU mediates neural activation-induced CBF response in vivo...
- Le S, Hailer M, Buhrow S, Wang Q, Flatten K, Pediaditakis P, et al. Inhibition of mitochondrial respiration as a source of adaphostin-induced reactive oxygen species and cytotoxicity. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8860-72 pubmed
- Pagliarini D, Rutter J. Hallmarks of a new era in mitochondrial biochemistry. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2615-27 pubmed publisher..Powerful new approaches in biochemistry and systems biology are helping to fill in the gaps. ..
- Hoch W, Singsaas E, McCown B. Resorption protection. Anthocyanins facilitate nutrient recovery in autumn by shielding leaves from potentially damaging light levels. Plant Physiol. 2003;133:1296-305 pubmed..These results strongly support the resorption protection hypothesis of anthocyanins in senescing leaves...
- Saltikov C, Cifuentes A, Venkateswaran K, Newman D. The ars detoxification system is advantageous but not required for As(V) respiration by the genetically tractable Shewanella species strain ANA-3. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:2800-9 pubmed..These results suggest that ArsB and ArsC may be useful for As(V)-respiring bacteria in environments where As concentrations are high, but that neither is required for respiration...
- Dillaway D, Kruger E. Leaf respiratory acclimation to climate: comparisons among boreal and temperate tree species along a latitudinal transect. Tree Physiol. 2011;31:1114-27 pubmed publisher..Based on this construct, an empirical model relying on R(d) estimates from leaf photosynthesis and nitrogen concentration explained 55% of the observed E(o) variation...
- Bakkar N, Ladner K, Canan B, Liyanarachchi S, Bal N, Pant M, et al. IKK? and alternative NF-?B regulate PGC-1? to promote oxidative muscle metabolism. J Cell Biol. 2012;196:497-511 pubmed publisher..Together, these data provide insight on PGC-1? regulation during skeletal myogenesis and reveal a unique function of alternative NF-?B signaling in promoting an oxidative metabolic phenotype. ..
- Drechsel D, Patel M. Respiration-dependent H2O2 removal in brain mitochondria via the thioredoxin/peroxiredoxin system. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:27850-8 pubmed publisher..These findings implicate respiration- and thioredoxin-dependent ROS removal as a potentially important mitochondrial function that may contribute to physiological and pathological processes in the brain. ..