Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell death in Germany
Topic: cell death
Publications228 found, 100 shown here
- Schneider A, Martin Villalba A, Weih F, Vogel J, Wirth T, Schwaninger M. NF-kappaB is activated and promotes cell death in focal cerebral ischemia. Nat Med. 1999;5:554-9 pubmed..In p50 knockout mice, ischemic damage was significantly reduced. This indicates a cell death-promoting role of NF-kappaB in focal ischemia. NF-kappaB may provide a new pharmacological target in neurologic disease. ..
- Shaaban S, Diestel R, Hinkelmann B, Muthukumar Y, Verma R, Sasse F, et al. Novel peptidomimetic compounds containing redox active chalcogens and quinones as potential anticancer agents. Eur J Med Chem. 2012;58:192-205 pubmed publisher..The cause was obviously OS, which was reflected by significant decrease in reduced glutathione, subsequently cell cycle arrest and induction of apoptosis...
- Maueröder C, Chaurio R, Platzer S, Munoz L, Berens C. Model systems for rapid and slow induction of apoptosis obtained by inducible expression of pro-apoptotic proteins. Autoimmunity. 2013;46:329-35 pubmed publisher..The human cell lines expressing these suicide switches can serve as cancer models in xeno-transplanted mice, the corresponding murine cell lines allow syngeneic and allogeneic murine cancer models to be established. ..
- Pavel I, Danciu C, Oprean C, Dehelean C, Muntean D, Csuk R, et al. In Vitro Evaluation of the Antimicrobial Ability and Cytotoxicity on Two Melanoma Cell Lines of a Benzylamide Derivative of Maslinic Acid. Anal Cell Pathol (Amst). 2016;2016:2787623 pubmed publisher..A significant antimicrobial effect was recorded for Streptococcus pyogenes and Staphylococcus aureus. ..
- Kielar D, Kaminski W, Liebisch G, Piehler A, Wenzel J, Möhle C, et al. Adenosine triphosphate binding cassette (ABC) transporters are expressed and regulated during terminal keratinocyte differentiation: a potential role for ABCA7 in epidermal lipid reorganization. J Invest Dermatol. 2003;121:465-74 pubmed..Our results suggest specific biologic functions for members of the ABC transporter family in epidermal lipid reorganization during terminal keratinocyte differentiation...
- Breyhan H, Wirths O, Duan K, Marcello A, Rettig J, Bayer T. APP/PS1KI bigenic mice develop early synaptic deficits and hippocampus atrophy. Acta Neuropathol. 2009;117:677-85 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data provide the basis for the observed robust working memory deficits in this mouse model for AD at 6 months of age. ..
- Flür K, Allam R, Zecher D, Kulkarni O, Lichtnekert J, Schwarz M, et al. Viral RNA induces type I interferon-dependent cytokine release and cell death in mesangial cells via melanoma-differentiation-associated gene-5: Implications for viral infection-associated glomerulonephritis. Am J Pathol. 2009;175:2014-22 pubmed publisher..Thus, TLR-independent recognition of viral RNA is a potent inducer of type I interferon in mesangial cells, which can be an important mediator of virally induced glomerulonephritis. ..
- Zbidah M, Lupescu A, Jilani K, Lang F. Stimulation of suicidal erythrocyte death by fumagillin. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2013;112:346-51 pubmed publisher..The present observations disclose a novel effect of fumagillin, that is, stimulation of eryptosis, paralleled by Ca(2+) entry, ceramide formation, phosphatidylserine exposure and decrease of cell volume. ..
- Brand A, Leibfritz D, Wolburg H, Richter Landsberg C. Interactions of triethyltin-chloride (TET) with the energy metabolism of cultured rat brain astrocytes: studies by multinuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Neurochem Res. 1997;22:123-31 pubmed
- Arlt A, Grobe O, Sieke A, Kruse M, Folsch U, Schmidt W, et al. Expression of the NF-kappa B target gene IEX-1 (p22/PRG1) does not prevent cell death but instead triggers apoptosis in Hela cells. Oncogene. 2001;20:69-76 pubmed..Oncogene (2001) 20, 69 - 76. ..
- Cooper Kuhn C, Vroemen M, Brown J, Ye H, Thompson M, Winkler J, et al. Impaired adult neurogenesis in mice lacking the transcription factor E2F1. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;21:312-23 pubmed..The results indicate an involvement of E2F1 in controlling proliferation and neuronal cell numbers in the postnatal and adult brain. ..
- Spelsberg H, Reinhard T, Sokolovska Y, Zysk G, Böhringer D, Sundmacher R. Endotoxin in storage medium of human corneal grafts and clinical course after penetrating normal-risk keratoplasty. Eye (Lond). 2004;18:923-8 pubmed..Low endotoxin levels in storage medium neither seem to promote immune reactions nor to contribute to postoperative chronic endothelial cell loss in normal-risk keratoplasty patients. ..
- Marchetti L, Klein M, Schlett K, Pfizenmaier K, Eisel U. Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-mediated neuroprotection against glutamate-induced excitotoxicity is enhanced by N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor activation. Essential role of a TNF receptor 2-mediated phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent NF-kappa B path. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:32869-81 pubmed..Thus, the duration of NF-kappa B activation is a critical determinant for sensitivity toward excitotoxic stress and is dependent on a differential upstream signal pathway usage of the two TNFRs. ..
- Fellows E, Gil Parrado S, Jenne D, Kurschus F. Natural killer cell-derived human granzyme H induces an alternative, caspase-independent cell-death program. Blood. 2007;110:544-52 pubmed..The high expression levels of GzmH in naive natural killer (NK) cells and its potent killing ability strongly support the role of the protease in triggering an alternative cell-death pathway in innate immunity. ..
- Bytyqi A, Bachmann G, Rieke M, Paraoanu L, Layer P. Cell-by-cell reconstruction in reaggregates from neonatal gerbil retina begins from the inner retina and is promoted by retinal pigmented epithelium. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;26:1560-74 pubmed
- Rahhal B, Heermann S, Ferdinand A, Rosenbusch J, Rickmann M, Krieglstein K. In vivo requirement of TGF-beta/GDNF cooperativity in mouse development: focus on the neurotrophic hypothesis. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2009;27:97-102 pubmed publisher..5. However, TGF-beta2 single mutant mice showed no loss of neurons. These data point towards a cooperative role of TGF-beta2 and GDNF with regard to promotion of survival within the peripheral motor and sensory systems investigated. ..
- Lupescu A, Jilani K, Zbidah M, Lang E, Lang F. Enhanced Ca2+ entry, ceramide formation, and apoptotic death of erythrocytes triggered by plumbagin. J Nat Prod. 2012;75:1956-61 pubmed publisher..The present observations demonstrate that 1 may trigger suicidal death of erythrocytes, cells devoid of mitochondria and nuclei. ..
- Meinert C, Gembardt F, BÃ¶hme I, Tetzner A, Wieland T, Greenberg B, et al. Identification of intracellular proteins and signaling pathways in human endothelial cells regulated by angiotensin-(1-7). J Proteomics. 2016;130:129-39 pubmed publisher..The Ang-(1-7) mediated decrease of PIAS2 was reproduced in other endothelial cell types. The results suggest that angiotensin-(1-7) plays a role in metabolic pathways related to cell death and cell survival in human endothelial cells. ..
- Bösl M, Stein V, Hubner C, Zdebik A, Jordt S, Mukhopadhyay A, et al. Male germ cells and photoreceptors, both dependent on close cell-cell interactions, degenerate upon ClC-2 Cl(-) channel disruption. EMBO J. 2001;20:1289-99 pubmed..Thus, ClC-2 disruption entails the death of two cell types which depend on supporting cells that form the blood-testes and blood-retina barriers. We propose that ClC-2 is crucial for controlling the ionic environment of these cells. ..
- Wobser H, Dussmann H, Kogel D, Wang H, Reimertz C, Wollheim C, et al. Dominant-negative suppression of HNF-1 alpha results in mitochondrial dysfunction, INS-1 cell apoptosis, and increased sensitivity to ceramide-, but not to high glucose-induced cell death. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:6413-21 pubmed..Therefore, our data indicate that increased sensitivity to the mitochondrial apoptosis pathway and decreased cell proliferation may account for the progressive loss of beta-cell function seen in MODY 3 subjects. ..
- Weiss F, Halangk W, Lerch M. New advances in pancreatic cell physiology and pathophysiology. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;22:3-15 pubmed publisher..This review will summarise recent advances in our understanding of the physiological mechanisms involved in the early disease processes of the exocrine pancreas. ..
- Meuth S, Herrmann A, Simon O, Siffrin V, Melzer N, Bittner S, et al. Cytotoxic CD8+ T cell-neuron interactions: perforin-dependent electrical silencing precedes but is not causally linked to neuronal cell death. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15397-409 pubmed publisher..Thus, electrical silencing is an immediate consequence of MHC I-restricted interaction of CD8(+) T cells with neurons. This mechanism is clearly perforin-dependent and precedes, but is not causally linked, to neuronal cell death. ..
- Castren E, Ohga Y, Berzaghi M, Tzimagiorgis G, Thoenen H, Lindholm D. bcl-2 messenger RNA is localized in neurons of the developing and adult rat brain. Neuroscience. 1994;61:165-77 pubmed..Brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which supports survival of cultured cerebellar granule neurons, failed to influence the levels of bcl-2 messenger RNA in these cultures. ..
- Tschernatsch M, Klotz M, Probst C, Hosch J, Valtorta F, Diener M, et al. Synaptophysin is an autoantigen in paraneoplastic neuropathy. J Neuroimmunol. 2008;197:81-6 pubmed publisher..The patient's serum and IgG fraction showed cytotoxicity to primary cultured myenteric plexus neurons. We conclude that synaptophysin is an autoantigen in paraneoplastic neurological syndromes. ..
- Schulze S, Kay S, Büttner D, Egler M, Eschen Lippold L, Hause G, et al. Analysis of new type III effectors from Xanthomonas uncovers XopB and XopS as suppressors of plant immunity. New Phytol. 2012;195:894-911 pubmed publisher..This suggests that XopB-mediated suppression of PTI and ETI is dependent on different mechanisms that can be functionally separated. ..
- Subramaniam S, Strelau J, Unsicker K. Growth differentiation factor-15 prevents low potassium-induced cell death of cerebellar granule neurons by differential regulation of Akt and ERK pathways. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:8904-12 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that GDF-15 prevented generation of reactive oxygen species, a known activator of ERK. Together, our data suggest that GDF-15 prevents apoptosis in CGN by activating Akt and inhibiting endogenously active ERK. ..
- Vogel C, Kienitz A, Muller R, Bastians H. The mitotic spindle checkpoint is a critical determinant for topoisomerase-based chemotherapy. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4025-8 pubmed..Its frequent inactivation in human cancer might contribute to the observed resistance of tumor cells to these chemotherapeutic drugs. ..
- Spitzer M, Wallenfels Thilo B, Sierra A, Yoeruek E, Peters S, Henke Fahle S, et al. Antiproliferative and cytotoxic properties of bevacizumab on different ocular cells. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006;90:1316-21 pubmed..25 mg/ml. Bevacizumab exerts a moderate growth inhibition on CEC when used in concentrations of at least 0.025 mg/ml. However, at higher doses (2.5 mg/ml) bevacizumab may be harmful to the retinal pigment epithelium. ..
- Schwerdt G, Königs M, Holzinger H, Humpf H, Gekle M. Effects of the mycotoxin fumonisin B(1) on cell death in human kidney cells and human lung fibroblasts in primary culture. J Appl Toxicol. 2009;29:174-82 pubmed publisher..Furthermore LC-MS/MS studies did not give any hints for a metabolism of FB(1). Therefore, the main risk of prolonged FB(1) exposure seems to be altered collagen secretion pattern. ..
- Wirths O, Breyhan H, Cynis H, Schilling S, Demuth H, Bayer T. Intraneuronal pyroglutamate-Abeta 3-42 triggers neurodegeneration and lethal neurological deficits in a transgenic mouse model. Acta Neuropathol. 2009;118:487-96 pubmed publisher..Although the TBA2 model lacks important AD-typical neuropathological features like tangles and hippocampal degeneration, it clearly demonstrates that intraneuronal Abeta(3(pE)-42) is neurotoxic in vivo. ..
- Rak K, Lechner B, Schneider C, Drexl H, Sendtner M, Jablonka S. Valproic acid blocks excitability in SMA type I mouse motor neurons. Neurobiol Dis. 2009;36:477-87 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate effects of VPA which might aggravate disease-specific symptoms in SMA patients. ..
- Fischer J, Prosenc M, Wolff M, Hort N, Willumeit R, Feyerabend F. Interference of magnesium corrosion with tetrazolium-based cytotoxicity assays. Acta Biomater. 2010;6:1813-23 pubmed publisher..Tetrazolium-based assays are therefore not a useful tool for testing the cytotoxicity of Mg in static in vitro assays. ..
- Nimmrich V, Reymann K, Strassburger M, Schöder U, Gross G, Hahn A, et al. Inhibition of calpain prevents NMDA-induced cell death and beta-amyloid-induced synaptic dysfunction in hippocampal slice cultures. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;159:1523-31 pubmed publisher..We suggest that inhibition of calpain exhibits a promising strategy to address several aspects of the pathology of AD that may go beyond the available therapeutic intervention by memantine. ..
- Melzer N, Hicking G, Bittner S, Bobak N, Göbel K, Herrmann A, et al. Excitotoxic neuronal cell death during an oligodendrocyte-directed CD8+ T cell attack in the CNS gray matter. J Neuroinflammation. 2013;10:121 pubmed publisher..Glutamate release may represent a crucial effector pathway of neural-antigen reactive CD8+ T cells, contributing to excitotoxicity in CNS inflammation. ..
- Richter M, Vidovic N, Honrath B, Mahavadi P, Dodel R, Dolga A, et al. Activation of SK2 channels preserves ER CaÂ²âº homeostasis and protects against ER stress-induced cell death. Cell Death Differ. 2016;23:814-27 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that ER SK2 channel activation preserves ER Ca(2+) uptake and retention which determines cell survival in conditions where sustained ER stress contributes to progressive neuronal death. ..
- Hentze H, Schmitz I, Latta M, Krueger A, Krammer P, Wendel A. Glutathione dependence of caspase-8 activation at the death-inducing signaling complex. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:5588-95 pubmed..Our data indicate that the activation of caspase-8 at the DISC and hence CD95-mediated apoptosis induction shows a cell-specific requirement for intracellular glutathione. ..
- Jablonka S, Holtmann B, Meister G, Bandilla M, Rossoll W, Fischer U, et al. Gene targeting of Gemin2 in mice reveals a correlation between defects in the biogenesis of U snRNPs and motoneuron cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:10126-31 pubmed..This finding correlates with enhanced motoneuron degeneration in Gemin2(+/-)/Smn(+/-) mice. Our data provide in vivo evidence that impaired production of U snRNPs contributes to motoneuron degeneration. ..
- Dihné M, Bernreuther C, Sibbe M, Paulus W, Schachner M. A new role for the cell adhesion molecule L1 in neural precursor cell proliferation, differentiation, and transmitter-specific subtype generation. J Neurosci. 2003;23:6638-50 pubmed..Our observations support a new role for L1 or L1 ligands in neural precursor cell proliferation and differentiation. ..
- N Guessan P, Schmeck B, Ayim A, Hocke A, Brell B, Hammerschmidt S, et al. Streptococcus pneumoniae R6x induced p38 MAPK and JNK-mediated caspase-dependent apoptosis in human endothelial cells. Thromb Haemost. 2005;94:295-303 pubmed..Hence, kinase- and caspase-dependence of pneumococci-induced endothelial apoptosis may bear relevance to novel therapeutic approaches to pneumococci-related disease. ..
- Galler K, Schweikl H, Thonemann B, D Souza R, Schmalz G. Human pulp-derived cells immortalized with Simian Virus 40 T-antigen. Eur J Oral Sci. 2006;114:138-46 pubmed..Transfection of human pulp-derived cells resulted in an immortalized cell line retaining many of the phenotypic characteristics observed in primary cells. ..
- Evert B, Schelhaas J, Fleischer H, de Vos R, Brunt E, Stenzel W, et al. Neuronal intranuclear inclusions, dysregulation of cytokine expression and cell death in spinocerebellar ataxia type 3. Clin Neuropathol. 2006;25:272-81 pubmed..Our data suggest that the selectively affected neuronal populations in SCA3 undergo a complex alteration of gene expression independent from the formation of NI. ..
- Søgaard Andersen L, Yang Z. Programmed cell death: role for MazF and MrpC in Myxococcus multicellular development. Curr Biol. 2008;18:R337-9 pubmed publisher..Programmed cell death is of ultimate importance in embryonic development of animals. Now, programmed cell death has been shown to be an integral part of a multicellular developmental program in the bacterium Myxococcus xanthus. ..
- Nowicki M, Serke H, Kosacka J, Muller K, Spanel Borowski K. Oxidized low-density lipoprotein (oxLDL) induces cell death in neuroblastoma and survival autophagy in schwannoma cells. Exp Mol Pathol. 2010;89:276-83 pubmed publisher..Collectively, oxLDL induces AIF-dependent cell death in B104 neuroblastoma cells whereas in RN22 schwannoma cells enhanced signs of survival autophagy are noted. ..
- Antonow Schlorke I, Schwab M, Cox L, Li C, Stuchlik K, Witte O, et al. Vulnerability of the fetal primate brain to moderate reduction in maternal global nutrient availability. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:3011-6 pubmed publisher..Contrary to the known benefits from this degree of dietary reduction on life span, MNR in pregnancy compromises structural fetal cerebral development, potentially having an impact on brain function throughout life. ..
- Gonzalez P, Mader I, Tchoghandjian A, Enzenmüller S, Cristofanon S, Basit F, et al. Impairment of lysosomal integrity by B10, a glycosylated derivative of betulinic acid, leads to lysosomal cell death and converts autophagy into a detrimental process. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:1337-46 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for the therapeutic exploitation of BA derivatives, particularly in apoptosis-resistant cancers. ..
- Hombach A, Rappl G, Abken H. Arming cytokine-induced killer cells with chimeric antigen receptors: CD28 outperforms combined CD28-OX40 "super-stimulation". Mol Ther. 2013;21:2268-77 pubmed publisher..Translated into therapeutic strategies, CAR-redirected CIK cells benefit from CD28 costimulation; "super-costimulation" by the CD28-?-OX40 CAR, however, performed less in antitumor efficacy due to increased AICD. ..
- Bhatti I, Abhari B, Fulda S. Identification of a synergistic combination of Smac mimetic and Bortezomib to trigger cell death in B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma cells. Cancer Lett. 2017;405:63-72 pubmed publisher..The discovery of this synergistic combination that is effective even when apoptosis is blocked has important implications for the development of new treatment strategies for B-cell NHL. ..
- Zimmermann C, Rawiel M, Blaser C, Kaufmann M, Pircher H. Homeostatic regulation of CD8+ T cells after antigen challenge in the absence of Fas (CD95). Eur J Immunol. 1996;26:2903-10 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that the homeostatic regulation of CD8+ T cells after antigen challenge in vivo is regulated by mechanisms that do not require Fas. ..
- Kölker S, Pawlak V, Ahlemeyer B, Okun J, Hörster F, Mayatepek E, et al. NMDA receptor activation and respiratory chain complex V inhibition contribute to neurodegeneration in d-2-hydroxyglutaric aciduria. Eur J Neurosci. 2002;16:21-8 pubmed..In conclusion, excitotoxicity contributes to the neuropathology of d-2-hydroxyglutaric aciduria, highlighting new neuroprotective strategies. ..
- Schubert A, Grimm S. Cyclophilin D, a component of the permeability transition-pore, is an apoptosis repressor. Cancer Res. 2004;64:85-93 pubmed..Importantly, cyclophilin D is specifically up-regulated in human tumors of the breast, ovary, and uterus, suggesting that inhibition of the PT-pore via up-regulation of cyclophilin D plays a role in tumorigenesis. ..
- Paquet Durand F, Bicker G. Hypoxic/ischaemic cell damage in cultured human NT-2 neurons. Brain Res. 2004;1011:33-47 pubmed..The fluorescence imaging experiments indicated an energetic collapse of mitochondrial functions during anoxia, suggesting that the human NT-2 neurons can be used to investigate subcellular processes during the excitotoxic cascade. ..
- Kogel D, Peters M, König H, Hashemi S, Bui N, Arolt V, et al. S100B potently activates p65/c-Rel transcriptional complexes in hippocampal neurons: Clinical implications for the role of S100B in excitotoxic brain injury. Neuroscience. 2004;127:913-20 pubmed..Our data suggest that S100B secreted during the glial response to brain injury potently activates p65/c-Rel in a RAGE-dependent manner and may exert neuroprotective and neuroregenerative effects in psychiatric disorders. ..
- Guntinas Lichius O, Angelov D, Morellini F, Lenzen M, Skouras E, Schachner M, et al. Opposite impacts of tenascin-C and tenascin-R deficiency in mice on the functional outcome of facial nerve repair. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;22:2171-9 pubmed..These findings are of particular interest with regard to the scanty knowledge about factors determining success of regeneration in the peripheral nervous system of mammals. ..
- Hopfe M, Henrich B. OppA, the ecto-ATPase of Mycoplasma hominis induces ATP release and cell death in HeLa cells. BMC Microbiol. 2008;8:55 pubmed publisher..hominis infected HeLa cells was predominantly due to apoptosis rather than necrosis. Future work will elucidate whether the induction of apoptosis is indispensable for survival of these non-invasive pathogen. ..
- Koch N, Jung M, Sabat R, Krätzschmar J, Döcke W, Asadullah K, et al. IL-10 protects monocytes and macrophages from complement-mediated lysis. J Leukoc Biol. 2009;86:155-66 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that IL-10 generates pathogen-clearing phagocytes, which are resistant to complement lysis and thereby, enabled to survive longer in a hostile inflammatory environment...
- Hesse A, Wagner M, Held J, Bruck W, Salinas Riester G, Hao Z, et al. In toxic demyelination oligodendroglial cell death occurs early and is FAS independent. Neurobiol Dis. 2010;37:362-9 pubmed publisher..However, mice lacking FAS in oligodendrocytes are not protected against cuprizone-induced oligodendroglial cell death, showing that FAS is dispensable for oligodendroglial cell death in the cuprizone model. ..
- Ehlken H, Kondylis V, Heinrichsdorff J, Ochoa Callejero L, Roskams T, Pasparakis M. Hepatocyte IKK2 protects Mdr2-/- mice from chronic liver failure. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25942 pubmed publisher..IKK2-mediated signaling in hepatocytes protects the liver from damage under conditions of chronic inflammatory cholestasis and prevents the development of severe fibrosis and liver failure. ..
- Günther J, Petzl W, Zerbe H, Schuberth H, Koczan D, Goetze L, et al. Lipopolysaccharide priming enhances expression of effectors of immune defence while decreasing expression of pro-inflammatory cytokines in mammary epithelia cells from cows. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:17 pubmed publisher..Attenuated is the exuberant expression of factors potentially promoting immunopathological processes. MEC therefore recapitulate many aspects of ET known so far from professional immune cells. ..
- Shaik N, Lupescu A, Lang F. Inhibition of suicidal erythrocyte death by probucol. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2013;61:120-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, probucol blunts cell membrane scrambling after energy depletion and oxidative stress, effects primarily because of interference with the scrambling effects of increased cytosolic Ca(2+) concentration. ..
- Wiebking N, Maronde E, Rami A. Increased neuronal injury in clock gene Per-1 deficient-mice after cerebral ischemia. Curr Neurovasc Res. 2013;10:112-25 pubmed..These alterations may be causal for the observed innate vulnerability of Per1(-/-)-mice to cerebral ischemia. ..
- Hagemeier K, Lürbke A, Hucke S, Albrecht S, Preisner A, Klassen E, et al. Puma, but not noxa is essential for oligodendroglial cell death. Glia. 2013;61:1712-23 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that Puma is pivotal for oligodendroglial cell death induced by different cell death stimuli and might play a role in oligodendroglial cell death in MS. ..
- Schnall R, Mannhaupt G, Stucka R, Tauer R, Ehnle S, Schwarzlose C, et al. Identification of a set of yeast genes coding for a novel family of putative ATPases with high similarity to constituents of the 26S protease complex. Yeast. 1994;10:1141-55 pubmed..YTA10, YTA11 and YTA12 share significant homology with the Escherichia coli FtsH protein, and together with YTA4 and YTA6 may constitute a separate subclass within this family of putative ATPases. ..
- Naumann U, Weit S, Wischhusen J, Weller M. Diva/Boo is a negative regulator of cell death in human glioma cells. FEBS Lett. 2001;505:23-6 pubmed
- Petersen H, Fechner P, Martin A, Kunath K, Stolnik S, Roberts C, et al. Polyethylenimine-graft-poly(ethylene glycol) copolymers: influence of copolymer block structure on DNA complexation and biological activities as gene delivery system. Bioconjug Chem. 2002;13:845-54 pubmed..These results provide a basis for the rational design of block copolymer gene delivery systems. ..
- Schoenebeck B, Bader V, Zhu X, Schmitz B, Lübbert H, Stichel C. Sgk1, a cell survival response in neurodegenerative diseases. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;30:249-64 pubmed..These findings underline a key role for sgk1 in the molecular pathway of cell death, in which sgk1 seems to exert a protective role. ..
- Karuppagounder S, Alim I, Khim S, Bourassa M, Sleiman S, John R, et al. Therapeutic targeting of oxygen-sensing prolyl hydroxylases abrogates ATF4-dependent neuronal death and improves outcomes after brain hemorrhage in several rodent models. Sci Transl Med. 2016;8:328ra29 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings demonstrate that brain-specific inactivation of the HIF-PHD metalloenzymes with the blood-brain barrier-permeable inhibitor adaptaquin can improve functional outcomes after ICH in several rodent models. ..
- Herdegen T, Skene P, Bahr M. The c-Jun transcription factor--bipotential mediator of neuronal death, survival and regeneration. Trends Neurosci. 1997;20:227-31 pubmed..In this model, the fate of neurons is determined by a novel transcriptional network comprising c-Jun, ATF-2 (activating transcription factor-2) and JNKs (c-Jun N-terminal kinases). ..
- Poppe M, Reimertz C, Münstermann G, Kogel D, Prehn J. Ceramide-induced apoptosis of D283 medulloblastoma cells requires mitochondrial respiratory chain activity but occurs independently of caspases and is not sensitive to Bcl-xL overexpression. J Neurochem. 2002;82:482-94 pubmed..Our data indicate that the apoptosis-inducing effect of C2-ceramide may require mitochondrial respiratory chain activity and can occur independently of the mitochondrial apoptosis pathway, but involves the activation of calpains. ..
- Marques C, Keil U, Bonert A, Steiner B, Haass C, Muller W, et al. Neurotoxic mechanisms caused by the Alzheimer's disease-linked Swedish amyloid precursor protein mutation: oxidative stress, caspases, and the JNK pathway. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:28294-302 pubmed
- Baer P, Gauer S, Wegner B, Schubert R, Geiger H. C-reactive protein induced activation of MAP-K and RANTES in human renal distal tubular epithelial cells in vitro. Clin Nephrol. 2006;66:177-83 pubmed..We demonstrated an activating effect of CRP on DTC in vitro. In vivo, this effect of CRP might be part of the immune activation cascade during episodes of renal graft rejection or bacterial infections. ..
- Koch Nolte F, Reyelt J, Schössow B, Schwarz N, Scheuplein F, Rothenburg S, et al. Single domain antibodies from llama effectively and specifically block T cell ecto-ADP-ribosyltransferase ART2.2 in vivo. FASEB J. 2007;21:3490-8 pubmed..Our findings constitute a proof of principle that opens up a new avenue for targeting leukocyte ecto-enzymes in vivo and that can serve as a model also for developing new antidotes against ADP-ribosylating toxins...
- Haroon M, Fatima A, Schöler S, Gieseler A, Horn T, Kirches E, et al. Minocycline, a possible neuroprotective agent in Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON): studies of cybrid cells bearing 11,778 mutation. Neurobiol Dis. 2007;28:237-50 pubmed..In relation with its high safety profile, these results would suggest minocycline as a promising neuroprotective agent in LHON. ..
- Heinrich A, Balszuweit F, Thiermann H, Kehe K. Rapid simultaneous determination of apoptosis, necrosis, and viability in sulfur mustard exposed HaCaT cell cultures. Toxicol Lett. 2009;191:260-7 pubmed publisher..This assay is highly effective in quantifying apoptosis and necrosis caused by cytotoxic agents and in estimating protective effects of potential active pharmaceutical ingredients. ..
- Foller M, Mahmud H, Gu S, Wang K, Floride E, Kucherenko Y, et al. Participation of leukotriene C(4) in the regulation of suicidal erythrocyte death. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2009;60:135-43 pubmed..Cysteinyl-leukotrienes thus participate in the signaling of eryptosis during energy depletion. ..
- Serrano M, Hubert D, Dangl J, Schulze Lefert P, Kombrink E. A chemical screen for suppressors of the avrRpm1-RPM1-dependent hypersensitive cell death response in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta. 2010;231:1013-23 pubmed publisher..The hyper-accumulation phenotype is likely unrelated to the ribotoxic function of DAS and NEO and could be due to an inhibitory activity on the proteolytic machinery of Arabidopsis or elicitor-like activities of type A trichothecenes. ..
- Dolga A, Terpolilli N, Kepura F, Nijholt I, Knaus H, D Orsi B, et al. KCa2 channels activation prevents [Ca2+]i deregulation and reduces neuronal death following glutamate toxicity and cerebral ischemia. Cell Death Dis. 2011;2:e147 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a critical role for KCa2 channels in excitotoxic neuronal cell death and propose their activation as potential therapeutic strategy for the treatment of acute and chronic neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Zbidah M, Lupescu A, Herrmann T, Yang W, Foller M, Jilani K, et al. Effect of honokiol on erythrocytes. Toxicol In Vitro. 2013;27:1737-45 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, honokiol triggers suicidal erythrocyte death or eryptosis, an effect at least in part due to stimulation of Ca(2+) entry and ceramide formation. ..
- Basit F, Cristofanon S, Fulda S. Obatoclax (GX15-070) triggers necroptosis by promoting the assembly of the necrosome on autophagosomal membranes. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:1161-73 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, GX15-070 triggers necroptosis by promoting the assembly of the necrosome on autophagosomes. These findings provide novel insights into the molecular mechanisms of GX15-070-induced non-apoptotic cell death. ..
- Jeßberger N, Dietrich R, Bock S, Didier A, Märtlbauer E. Bacillus cereus enterotoxins act as major virulence factors and exhibit distinct cytotoxicity to different human cell lines. Toxicon. 2014;77:49-57 pubmed publisher..The varying contribution of Nhe and HBL to total cytotoxicity strongly indicates that Nhe as well as HBL specific B. cereus enterotoxin receptors exist. ..
- Lang K, Lang P, Bauer C, Duranton C, Wieder T, Huber S, et al. Mechanisms of suicidal erythrocyte death. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2005;15:195-202 pubmed..Beyond their significance for erythrocyte survival and death the mechanisms involved in 'eryptosis' may similarly contribute to apoptosis of nucleated cells. ..
- Gerspach J, Muller D, Munkel S, Selchow O, Nemeth J, Noack M, et al. Restoration of membrane TNF-like activity by cell surface targeting and matrix metalloproteinase-mediated processing of a TNF prodrug. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:273-84 pubmed..MMP-2-sensitive TNF prodrugs represent novel cytokine-based reagents for targeted cancer therapy, which should be exploitable for MMP-overexpressing tumors. ..
- Copanaki E, Schürmann T, Eckert A, Leuner K, Muller W, Prehn J, et al. The amyloid precursor protein potentiates CHOP induction and cell death in response to ER Ca2+ depletion. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1773:157-65 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that APP significantly modulates Ca(2+) store depletion-induced cell death in a SOC- and CHOP-dependent manner, but independent of the UPR. ..