Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cation transport proteins in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: cation transport proteins
Publications237 found, 100 shown here
- Bennett K, Karpenko M, Lin M, Claus R, Arab K, Dyckhoff G, et al. Frequently methylated tumor suppressor genes in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2008;68:4494-9 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, all of the candidates identified may be involved in the transforming growth factor beta signaling pathway, which is often disrupted in HNSCC. ..
- Andrews G. Regulation and function of Zip4, the acrodermatitis enteropathica gene. Biochem Soc Trans. 2008;36:1242-6 pubmed publisher..Mice heterozygous for Zip4-knockout are hypersensitive to zinc deficiency, which suggests that humans heterozygous for this gene may also be very sensitive to zinc deficiency. ..
- Aydemir F, Jenkitkasemwong S, Gulec S, Knutson M. Iron loading increases ferroportin heterogeneous nuclear RNA and mRNA levels in murine J774 macrophages. J Nutr. 2009;139:434-8 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data are consistent with the hypothesis that iron increases macrophage ferroportin mRNA levels by inducing transcription of the ferroportin gene. ..
- Jenkitkasemwong S, Broderius M, Nam H, Prohaska J, Knutson M. Anemic copper-deficient rats, but not mice, display low hepcidin expression and high ferroportin levels. J Nutr. 2010;140:723-30 pubmed publisher..Diminished hepcidin expression in CuD rats was associated with lower levels of TfR2, but not BMP6. Our data suggest that holotransferrin and TfR2, rather than anemia or BMP6, are signals for hepcidin synthesis during copper deficiency. ..
- Crawford R, Rosales Reyes R, Ramírez Aguilar M, Chapa Azuela O, Alpuche Aranda C, Gunn J. Gallstones play a significant role in Salmonella spp. gallbladder colonization and carriage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:4353-8 pubmed publisher..These findings offer direct evidence that gallstone biofilms occur in humans and mice, which facilitate gallbladder colonization and shedding. ..
- Aydemir T, Sitren H, Cousins R. The zinc transporter Zip14 influences c-Met phosphorylation and hepatocyte proliferation during liver regeneration in mice. Gastroenterology. 2012;142:1536-46.e5 pubmed publisher..Reagents that regulate ZIP14 activity might be developed as therapeutics to promote liver regeneration in patients with chronic liver disease. ..
- McCarthy R, Kosman D. Mechanistic analysis of iron accumulation by endothelial cells of the BBB. Biometals. 2012;25:665-75 pubmed publisher..These results are the first to demonstrate multiple mechanism(s) of TBI and NTBI reduction and uptake by endothelial cells (EC) of the BBB. ..
- Wang C, Jenkitkasemwong S, Duarte S, Sparkman B, Shawki A, Mackenzie B, et al. ZIP8 is an iron and zinc transporter whose cell-surface expression is up-regulated by cellular iron loading. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:34032-43 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data identify ZIP8 as an iron transport protein that may function in iron metabolism. ..
- Yu L, Dong F, Miao D, Fouts A, Wenzlau J, Steck A. Proinsulin/Insulin autoantibodies measured with electrochemiluminescent assay are the earliest indicator of prediabetic islet autoimmunity. Diabetes Care. 2013;36:2266-70 pubmed publisher..We evaluated a novel electrochemiluminescent assay for insulin/proinsulin autoantibodies (ECL-IAA) as a new marker of the onset of islet autoimmunity and as a predictor of type 1 diabetes...
- DeRuisseau K, Park Y, DeRuisseau L, Cowley P, Fazen C, Doyle R. Aging-related changes in the iron status of skeletal muscle. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48:1294-302 pubmed publisher..The increased muscle iron content during aging does not appear to associate with cytosolic ferritin storage, but the functional consequences of elevated iron status in old age remains to be determined. ..
- Pandey R, Russo R, Ghanny S, Huang X, HELMANN J, Rodriguez G. MntR(Rv2788): a transcriptional regulator that controls manganese homeostasis in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Mol Microbiol. 2015;98:1168-83 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis in macrophages. These results suggest that manganese is limiting in the host and that interfering with import of this essential metal may be an effective strategy to attenuate M. tuberculosis. ..
- Zhao H, Eide D. The yeast ZRT1 gene encodes the zinc transporter protein of a high-affinity uptake system induced by zinc limitation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:2454-8 pubmed..These results suggest that ZRT1 is regulated at the transcriptional level by the intracellular concentration of zinc. ZRT1 is an additional member of a growing family of metal transport proteins. ..
- Davis S, McMahon R, Cousins R. Metallothionein knockout and transgenic mice exhibit altered intestinal processing of zinc with uniform zinc-dependent zinc transporter-1 expression. J Nutr. 1998;128:825-31 pubmed..These results further support metallothionein as an important component for reducing the efficiency of zinc absorption at elevated zinc intakes. ..
- Himelblau E, Mira H, Lin S, Culotta V, Pe arrubia L, Amasino R. Identification of a functional homolog of the yeast copper homeostasis gene ATX1 from Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 1998;117:1227-34 pubmed..In excised leaves and whole plants treated with high levels of exogenous CuSO4, CCH mRNA levels decreased, indicating that CCH is regulated differently than characterized metallothionein proteins in Arabidopsis...
- Kuhn D, Lafuse W, Zwilling B. Iron transport into mycobacterium avium-containing phagosomes from an Nramp1(Gly169)-transfected RAW264.7 macrophage cell line. J Leukoc Biol. 2001;69:43-9 pubmed..The significance of these results on the orientation of Nramp1 in the phagosome membrane and on the transport of iron is discussed. ..
- Crossgrove J, Yokel R. Manganese distribution across the blood-brain barrier III. The divalent metal transporter-1 is not the major mechanism mediating brain manganese uptake. Neurotoxicology. 2004;25:451-60 pubmed..Mn appears to distribute across the rat blood-brain barrier (BBB) into the brain by one or more carrier-mediated processes other than the DMT-1. ..
- Martin P, Gopal E, Ananth S, Zhuang L, Itagaki S, Prasad B, et al. Identity of SMCT1 (SLC5A8) as a neuron-specific Na+-coupled transporter for active uptake of L-lactate and ketone bodies in the brain. J Neurochem. 2006;98:279-88 pubmed
- Gao J, Zhao N, Knutson M, Enns C. The hereditary hemochromatosis protein, HFE, inhibits iron uptake via down-regulation of Zip14 in HepG2 cells. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:21462-8 pubmed publisher..Further analysis of protein turnover indicated that the half-life of Zip14 is lower in cells that express HFE. These results suggest that HFE decreases the stability of Zip14 and therefore reduces the iron loading in HepG2 cells. ..
- Ryu M, Lichten L, Liuzzi J, Cousins R. Zinc transporters ZnT1 (Slc30a1), Zip8 (Slc39a8), and Zip10 (Slc39a10) in mouse red blood cells are differentially regulated during erythroid development and by dietary zinc deficiency. J Nutr. 2008;138:2076-83 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that the zinc transporters ZnT1, Zip8, and Zip10 are important for zinc homeostasis in erythrocytes and that ZnT1 and Zip10 respond to the dietary zinc supply. ..
- Pabla N, Murphy R, Liu K, Dong Z. The copper transporter Ctr1 contributes to cisplatin uptake by renal tubular cells during cisplatin nephrotoxicity. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;296:F505-11 pubmed publisher..Notably, cimetidine can further reduce cisplatin uptake and cisplatin toxicity in Ctr1-downregulated cells. The results have demonstrated the first evidence for a role of Ctr1 in cisplatin uptake and nephrotoxicity. ..
- Wang Y, Langer N, Shaw G, Yang G, Li L, Kaplan J, et al. Abnormal mitoferrin-1 expression in patients with erythropoietic protoporphyria. Exp Hematol. 2011;39:784-94 pubmed publisher..Abnormal MFRN1 expression can contribute to erythropoietic protoporphyria phenotype in some patients, probably by causing a reduction in FECH activity. ..
- Wilmarth P, Short K, Fiehn O, Lutsenko S, David L, Burkhead J. A systems approach implicates nuclear receptor targeting in the Atp7b(-/-) mouse model of Wilson's disease. Metallomics. 2012;4:660-8 pubmed publisher..The systems approach using "shotgun" proteomics and metabolomics in the context of previous transcriptomic data reveals molecular-level mechanisms of WD development and facilitates targeted analysis of hepatocellular copper toxicity. ..
- Ellison M, Farrow J, Farrow J, Parrish W, Danell A, Pesci E. The transcriptional regulator Np20 is the zinc uptake regulator in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75389 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data support the notion that Np20 is the P. aeruginosa Zur, which regulates the transcription of the genes encoding the high affinity ZnuABC zinc transport system...
- Bian X, Wallstrom G, Davis A, Wang J, Park J, Throop A, et al. Immunoproteomic Profiling of Antiviral Antibodies in New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Using Protein Arrays. Diabetes. 2016;65:285-96 pubmed publisher..We believe our innovative immunoproteomics platform is useful for understanding the role of viral infections in T1D and other disorders where associations between viral infection and disease are unclear. ..
- Kip S, Strehler E. Characterization of PMCA isoforms and their contribution to transcellular Ca2+ flux in MDCK cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003;284:F122-32 pubmed..The MDCK system is thus an ideal model for functional studies of the specific role and regulation of PMCA isoforms in Ca(2+) reabsorption in the distal kidney. ..
- Weiner I, Miller R, Verlander J. Localization of the ammonium transporters, Rh B glycoprotein and Rh C glycoprotein, in the mouse liver. Gastroenterology. 2003;124:1432-40 pubmed..Basolateral RhBG is expressed by perivenous hepatocytes, where it may mediate ammonium uptake, and RhCG immunoreactivity is present in bile duct epithelial cells, where it may contribute to ammonium secretion into bile fluid. ..
- Lovell M, Smith J, Xiong S, Markesbery W. Alterations in zinc transporter protein-1 (ZnT-1) in the brain of subjects with mild cognitive impairment, early, and late-stage Alzheimer's disease. Neurotox Res. 2005;7:265-71 pubmed
- Cherukuri S, Potla R, Sarkar J, Nurko S, Harris Z, Fox P. Unexpected role of ceruloplasmin in intestinal iron absorption. Cell Metab. 2005;2:309-19 pubmed..Regulated relocalization of intestinal Cp may represent a fail-safe mechanism in which Cp shares with Heph responsibility for iron absorption under stress. ..
- Plata C, Sussman C, Sindic A, Liang J, Mount D, Josephs Z, et al. Zebrafish Slc5a12 encodes an electroneutral sodium monocarboxylate transporter (SMCTn). A comparison with the electrogenic SMCT (SMCTe/Slc5a8). J Biol Chem. 2007;282:11996-2009 pubmed..Slc5a12 in higher vertebrates is likely responsible for the electroneutral Na(+)/lactate cotransport reported in mammalian and amphibian kidneys. ..
- Niciu M, Ma X, El Meskini R, Pachter J, Mains R, Eipper B. Altered ATP7A expression and other compensatory responses in a murine model of Menkes disease. Neurobiol Dis. 2007;27:278-91 pubmed..The compensatory changes observed in the neurovascular unit provide insight into the success of copper injections within a defined neurodevelopmental period. ..
- Van Zandt K, Sow F, Florence W, Zwilling B, Satoskar A, Schlesinger L, et al. The iron export protein ferroportin 1 is differentially expressed in mouse macrophage populations and is present in the mycobacterial-containing phagosome. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;84:689-700 pubmed publisher..The trafficking of FPN1 to the M. tuberculosis phagosome suggests that it is involved in regulating iron availability to the mycobacteria in this locale. ..
- Wright L, Huster D, Lutsenko S, Wrba F, Ferenci P, Fimmel C. Hepatocyte GP73 expression in Wilson disease. J Hepatol. 2009;51:557-64 pubmed publisher..Increased hepatocyte GP73 expression is more commonly a feature of hepatic than neurologic WD, and is triggered in response to inflammation, fibrosis, and dysplasia, rather than copper overload. ..
- Sinkins W, Estacion M, Prasad V, Goel M, Shull G, Kunze D, et al. Maitotoxin converts the plasmalemmal Ca(2+) pump into a Ca(2+)-permeable nonselective cation channel. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;297:C1533-43 pubmed publisher..e., Ca(2+)-ATPase) in isolated membranes, or in purified PMCA preparations, was inhibited by MTX. Together, these results suggest that MTX binds to and converts the PMCA pump into a Ca(2+)-permeable nonselective cation channel. ..
- White C, Lee J, Kambe T, Fritsche K, Petris M. A role for the ATP7A copper-transporting ATPase in macrophage bactericidal activity. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:33949-56 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that copper-transporting ATPases, CopA and ATP7A, in both bacteria and macrophage are unique determinants of bacteria survival and identify an unexpected role for copper at the host-pathogen interface. ..
- Ralle M, Huster D, Vogt S, Schirrmeister W, Burkhead J, Capps T, et al. Wilson disease at a single cell level: intracellular copper trafficking activates compartment-specific responses in hepatocytes. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:30875-83 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest new stage-specific as well as general biomarkers for WD. The model for the dynamic role of copper in WD is proposed. ..
- Weiner I, Verlander J. Role of NH3 and NH4+ transporters in renal acid-base transport. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011;300:F11-23 pubmed publisher..In addition to these proteins, several other proteins also contribute to renal NH3/NH4+ transport. The role and mechanisms of these proteins are discussed in depth in this review. ..
- Wu Y, Frey A, Eide D. Transcriptional regulation of the Zrg17 zinc transporter of the yeast secretory pathway. Biochem J. 2011;435:259-66 pubmed publisher..Together, these results establish that ZRG17 is a direct Zap1 target gene and its regulation has biological importance in maintaining ER function. ..
- Liu C, Hutchens S, Jursa T, Shawlot W, Polishchuk E, Polishchuk R, et al. Hypothyroidism induced by loss of the manganese efflux transporter SLC30A10 may be explained by reduced thyroxine production. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16605-16615 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the mechanisms of manganese detoxification and manganese-induced thyroid dysfunction. ..
- Adhikari P, Berish S, Nowalk A, Veraldi K, Morse S, Mietzner T. The fbpABC locus of Neisseria gonorrhoeae functions in the periplasm-to-cytosol transport of iron. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:2145-9 pubmed..The fpbABC operon differs from these loci in that it is lethal when overexpressed in Escherichia coli...
- Tsivkovskii R, Eisses J, Kaplan J, Lutsenko S. Functional properties of the copper-transporting ATPase ATP7B (the Wilson's disease protein) expressed in insect cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:976-83 pubmed..These studies establish the key catalytic properties of the ATP7B copper-transporting ATPase and provide a foundation for quantitative analysis of its function in normal and diseased cells. ..
- Vanderwerf S, Lutsenko S. The Wilson's disease protein expressed in Sf9 cells is phosphorylated. Biochem Soc Trans. 2002;30:739-41 pubmed..The identification of phosphorylation sites is the first step towards understanding the physiological role of WNDP phosphorylation. ..
- Goellner G, DeMarco S, Strehler E. Characterization of PISP, a novel single-PDZ protein that binds to all plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPase b-splice variants. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003;986:461-71 pubmed..Our data suggest that PISP is a transiently interacting partner of the PMCA b-splice forms that may play a role in their sorting to or from the plasma membrane. ..
- Delisle B, Anderson C, Balijepalli R, Anson B, Kamp T, January C. Thapsigargin selectively rescues the trafficking defective LQT2 channels G601S and F805C. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:35749-54 pubmed..e. LQT2 and cystic fibrosis). ..
- Dufner Beattie J, Langmade S, Wang F, Eide D, Andrews G. Structure, function, and regulation of a subfamily of mouse zinc transporter genes. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:50142-50 pubmed..These studies suggest that all three of these ZIP proteins may play cell-specific roles in zinc homeostasis rather than primary roles in the acquisition of dietary zinc. ..
- Guo Y, Smith K, Lee J, Thiele D, Petris M. Identification of methionine-rich clusters that regulate copper-stimulated endocytosis of the human Ctr1 copper transporter. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:17428-33 pubmed..Together with previous studies demonstrating a role for these motifs in high affinity copper transport activity, our findings suggest common biochemical mechanisms regulate both transport and trafficking functions of hCtr1. ..
- Lovell M, Smith J, Markesbery W. Elevated zinc transporter-6 in mild cognitive impairment, Alzheimer disease, and pick disease. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2006;65:489-98 pubmed..Increased ZnT-6 immunostaining in neurons containing cytoplasmic inclusions in MCI, AD, and PD suggests a role for ZnT-6 in the pathogenesis of these lesions. ..
- Schelling J, Abu Jawdeh B. Regulation of cell survival by Na+/H+ exchanger-1. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;295:F625-32 pubmed publisher..In contrast to connotations of NHE1 as an unimportant "housekeeping" protein, this review highlights that NHE1 activity is critical for countering tubular atrophy and chronic renal disease progression. ..
- Wenzlau J, Moua O, Sarkar S, Yu L, Rewers M, Eisenbarth G, et al. SlC30A8 is a major target of humoral autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes and a predictive marker in prediabetes. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1150:256-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SLC30A8 provides an important additional and independent predictive marker for T1D. ..
- Lyubartseva G, Smith J, Markesbery W, Lovell M. Alterations of zinc transporter proteins ZnT-1, ZnT-4 and ZnT-6 in preclinical Alzheimer's disease brain. Brain Pathol. 2010;20:343-50 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results suggest that alterations in Zn transport proteins may contribute to the pathology observed in PCAD subjects before onset of clinical symptoms. ..
- Aydemir T, Liuzzi J, McClellan S, Cousins R. Zinc transporter ZIP8 (SLC39A8) and zinc influence IFN-gamma expression in activated human T cells. J Leukoc Biol. 2009;86:337-48 pubmed publisher..ZIP8, through control of zinc transport from the lysosome, may provide a secondary level of IFN-gamma regulation in T cells. ..
- Barton J, Lafreniere S, Leiendecker Foster C, Li H, Acton R, Press R, et al. HFE, SLC40A1, HAMP, HJV, TFR2, and FTL mutations detected by denaturing high-performance liquid chromatography after iron phenotyping and HFE C282Y and H63D genotyping in 785 HEIRS Study participants. Am J Hematol. 2009;84:710-4 pubmed publisher..Genetic regions in linkage disequilibrium with HJV c.-6C>G and FTL L55L could partly explain high TS/SF phenotypes in whites. Am. J. Hematol., 2009. Published 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Jenkitkasemwong S, Wang C, Mackenzie B, Knutson M. Physiologic implications of metal-ion transport by ZIP14 and ZIP8. Biometals. 2012;25:643-55 pubmed publisher..We also discuss potential roles of these proteins in the metabolism of zinc, iron, manganese, and cadmium as well as recent associations with human diseases. ..
- Maxwell K, Kowdley K. Metals and the liver. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2012;28:217-22 pubmed publisher..Advancements in diagnosis of hemochromatosis and Wilson disease may lead to earlier diagnosis and treatment with resulting decrease in morbidity and mortality. ..
- Mulangi V, Chibucos M, Phuntumart V, Morris P. Kinetic and phylogenetic analysis of plant polyamine uptake transporters. Planta. 2012;236:1261-73 pubmed..We surmise that the genes in Entamoeba species were acquired by phagotrophy of Discicristates. In summary, phylogenetic and functional analysis has identified two clades of genes that are predictive of polyamine transport activity. ..
- Jeong J, Walker J, Wang F, Park J, Palmer A, Giunta C, et al. Promotion of vesicular zinc efflux by ZIP13 and its implications for spondylocheiro dysplastic Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E3530-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that SCD-EDS is the result of vesicular zinc trapping and ER zinc deficiency rather than overload. ..
- Conklin D, McMaster J, Culbertson M, Kung C. COT1, a gene involved in cobalt accumulation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:3678-88 pubmed..The increased tolerance of strains containing multiple copies of the COT1 gene is probably due to increased compartmentalization or sequestration of the ion within mitochondria. ..
- Lutsenko S, Cooper M. Localization of the Wilson's disease protein product to mitochondria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:6004-9 pubmed..Thus, the WND protein is a P-type ATPase with an unusual subcellular localization. The mitochondria targeting of the WND protein suggests its important role for copper-dependent processes taking place in this organelle. ..
- Lutsenko S, Petris M. Function and regulation of the mammalian copper-transporting ATPases: insights from biochemical and cell biological approaches. J Membr Biol. 2003;191:1-12 pubmed..In this review, we summarize the advances that have been made in understanding of structure, function, and regulation of the key human copper transporters, the Menkes disease and Wilson's disease proteins. ..
- Chicka M, Strehler E. Alternative splicing of the first intracellular loop of plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPase isoform 2 alters its membrane targeting. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:18464-70 pubmed
- Ficker E, Dennis A, Wang L, Brown A. Role of the cytosolic chaperones Hsp70 and Hsp90 in maturation of the cardiac potassium channel HERG. Circ Res. 2003;92:e87-100 pubmed..We conclude that Hsp90 and Hsp70 are crucial for the maturation of hERG WT as well as the retention of trafficking-deficient LQT2 mutants. The full text of this article is available online at http://www.circresaha.org. ..
- Papp K, Maguire M. The CorA Mg2+ transporter does not transport Fe2+. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:7653-8 pubmed..We conclude that CorA does not transport Fe2+ and that the relationship, if any, between iron toxicity and corA is indirect. ..
- Colangelo E, Guerinot M. The essential basic helix-loop-helix protein FIT1 is required for the iron deficiency response. Plant Cell. 2004;16:3400-12 pubmed..We demonstrate that FIT1 regulates FRO2 at the level of mRNA accumulation and IRT1 at the level of protein accumulation. We propose a new model for iron uptake in Arabidopsis where FRO2 and IRT1 are differentially regulated by FIT1. ..
- Hill J, Williams D, LeMasurier M, Dumont R, Strehler E, Gillespie P. Splice-site A choice targets plasma-membrane Ca2+-ATPase isoform 2 to hair bundles. J Neurosci. 2006;26:6172-80 pubmed
- Mao X, Kim B, Wang F, Eide D, Petris M. A histidine-rich cluster mediates the ubiquitination and degradation of the human zinc transporter, hZIP4, and protects against zinc cytotoxicity. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:6992-7000 pubmed
- Zhang L, Eisenbarth G. Prediction and prevention of Type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes. 2011;3:48-57 pubmed publisher..We can also prevent T1DM in animal models, but the final goal is the prevention of T1DM in humans. Multiple clinical trials are underway investigating methods to prevent ?-cell destruction. ..
- Dailey H, Septer A, Daugherty L, Thames D, Gerdes S, Stabb E, et al. The Escherichia coli protein YfeX functions as a porphyrinogen oxidase, not a heme dechelatase. MBio. 2011;2:e00248-11 pubmed publisher..Our data clearly demonstrate that YfeX is not a dechelatase as reported but is a peroxidase that oxidizes endogenous porphyrinogens to porphyrins. ..
- Garrick M, Zhao L, Roth J, Jiang H, Feng J, Foot N, et al. Isoform specific regulation of divalent metal (ion) transporter (DMT1) by proteasomal degradation. Biometals. 2012;25:787-93 pubmed publisher..Mutant Parkin serves as a control that does not affect DMT1 levels. Thus DMT1 regulation in an isoform specific fashion can occur by ubiquitination and the events involved have implications for DMT1 function and disease processes. ..
- McCarthy R, Kosman D. Ferroportin and exocytoplasmic ferroxidase activity are required for brain microvascular endothelial cell iron efflux. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:17932-40 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that iron efflux from hBMVEC Fpn requires the action of an exocytoplasmic ferroxidase, which can be either endogenous Hp or extracellular Cp. ..
- Miyauchi S, Gopal E, Fei Y, Ganapathy V. Functional identification of SLC5A8, a tumor suppressor down-regulated in colon cancer, as a Na(+)-coupled transporter for short-chain fatty acids. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:13293-6 pubmed..These studies establish the functional identity of SLC5A8 as a Na(+)-coupled transporter for short-chain fatty acids. ..
- Wenzlau J, Walter M, Gardner T, Frisch L, Yu L, Eisenbarth G, et al. Kinetics of the post-onset decline in zinc transporter 8 autoantibodies in type 1 diabetic human subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:4712-9 pubmed publisher..ZnT8A determination may be a useful measure of therapeutic efficacy in the context of immune-based clinical interventions. ..
- Dix D, Bridgham J, Broderius M, Eide D. Characterization of the FET4 protein of yeast. Evidence for a direct role in the transport of iron. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:11770-7 pubmed..These mutations may identify residues involved in Fe2+ binding during transport. ..
- Dremina E, Sharov V, Kumar K, Zaidi A, Michaelis E, SCHONEICH C. Anti-apoptotic protein Bcl-2 interacts with and destabilizes the sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase (SERCA). Biochem J. 2004;383:361-70 pubmed
- Khan S, Wu K, Sedor J, Abu Jawdeh B, Schelling J. The NHE1 Na+/H+ exchanger regulates cell survival by activating and targeting ezrin to specific plasma membrane domains. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2006;52:115-21 pubmed..We conclude that cell stresses promote NHE1-ezrin interaction, which activate cell survival pathways to prevent apoptosis in diabetic and non-diabetic kidney diseases. ..
- Korenkov V, King B, Hirschi K, Wagner G. Root-selective expression of AtCAX4 and AtCAX2 results in reduced lamina cadmium in field-grown Nicotiana tabacum L. Plant Biotechnol J. 2009;7:219-26 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that human Cd intake from food and tobacco use could be reduced via the enhancement of root vacuolar sequestration of this pollutant. ..
- McBride B, Yang T, Liu K, Urban T, Giacomini K, Kim R, et al. The organic cation transporter, OCTN1, expressed in the human heart, potentiates antagonism of the HERG potassium channel. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2009;54:63-71 pubmed publisher..These findings establish a critical hypothesis that variable drug transporter activity may be a potential risk factor for torsade de pointes. ..
- Liu M, Bao S, Galvez Peralta M, Pyle C, Rudawsky A, Pavlovicz R, et al. ZIP8 regulates host defense through zinc-mediated inhibition of NF-?B. Cell Rep. 2013;3:386-400 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify a negative feedback loop that directly regulates innate immune function through coordination of zinc metabolism...
- Serpe M, Joshi A, Kosman D. Structure-function analysis of the protein-binding domains of Mac1p, a copper-dependent transcriptional activator of copper uptake in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:29211-9 pubmed..Lastly, the one- and two-hybrid data indicate that an intramolecular interaction between the DNA-binding and transactivation domains negatively modulates Mac1p activity. ..
- Paradkar P, Roth J. Expression of the 1B isoforms of divalent metal transporter (DMT1) is regulated by interaction of NF-Y with a CCAAT-box element near the transcription start site. J Cell Physiol. 2007;211:183-8 pubmed..These data demonstrate that binding of NF-Y to this CCAAT-box domain is responsible for the basal regulation of 1B isoforms of DMT1 mRNA. ..
- Lutsenko S, Gupta A, Burkhead J, Zuzel V. Cellular multitasking: the dual role of human Cu-ATPases in cofactor delivery and intracellular copper balance. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;476:22-32 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize the current information on the function and regulatory mechanisms acting on human Cu-ATPases ATP7A and ATP7B. Brief comparison with the Cu-ATPase orthologs from other species is included. ..
- Papp Wallace K, Maguire M. Regulation of CorA Mg2+ channel function affects the virulence of Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:6509-16 pubmed publisher..J. Bacteriol. 190:6517-6523, 2008). Further study of the regulation of CorA expression and function provides an opportunity to dissect the complexity of Mg(2+) homeostasis and its ties to virulence within the bacterium...
- Tao T, Snavely M, Farr S, Maguire M. Magnesium transport in Salmonella typhimurium: mgtA encodes a P-type ATPase and is regulated by Mg2+ in a manner similar to that of the mgtB P-type ATPase. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:2654-62 pubmed..Lowering the extracellular Mg(2+) concentration from 10 mM to 1 or 10 microM elicited a transcriptional response of several thousandfold from both the mgtA and mgtB promoters. ..
- Ellis C, Wang F, MacDiarmid C, Clark S, Lyons T, Eide D. Zinc and the Msc2 zinc transporter protein are required for endoplasmic reticulum function. J Cell Biol. 2004;166:325-35 pubmed..Finally, zinc deficiency up-regulates the mammalian ER stress response indicating a conserved requirement for zinc in ER function among eukaryotes. ..
- Lu Y, Kim C, Collins J. Multiple Menkes copper ATPase (Atp7a) transcript and protein variants are induced by iron deficiency in rat duodenal enterocytes. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2012;26:109-14 pubmed publisher..Further studies will be designed to determine the subcellular distribution of Atp7a protein variants and possible unique functions of each. ..
- Huster D, Finegold M, Morgan C, Burkhead J, Nixon R, Vanderwerf S, et al. Consequences of copper accumulation in the livers of the Atp7b-/- (Wilson disease gene) knockout mice. Am J Pathol. 2006;168:423-34 pubmed..Our results suggest that the early effects of copper on cell genetic material contribute significantly to pathology associated with Atp7b inactivation. ..
- Kambe T, Andrews G. Novel proteolytic processing of the ectodomain of the zinc transporter ZIP4 (SLC39A4) during zinc deficiency is inhibited by acrodermatitis enteropathica mutations. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:129-39 pubmed publisher..These finding suggest that the processing of ZIP4 may represent a significant regulatory mechanism controlling its function. ..