Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on casein kinase ii in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: casein kinase ii
- Donelan M, Morfini G, Julyan R, Sommers S, Hays L, Kajio H, et al. Ca2+-dependent dephosphorylation of kinesin heavy chain on beta-granules in pancreatic beta-cells. Implications for regulated beta-granule transport and insulin exocytosis. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:24232-42 pubmed..They also implicate a novel regulatory role for PP2B/calcineurin in the control of insulin secretion downstream of a rise in [Ca2+]i. ..
- Sheu G, Traugh J. Recombinant subunits of mammalian elongation factor 1 expressed in Escherichia coli. Subunit interactions, elongation activity, and phosphorylation by protein kinase CKII. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:33290-7 pubmed..Phosphorylation of the beta and delta subunits alone or in betagammadelta by protein kinase CKII had no effect on the rate of elongation. ..
- Gurel Z, Ronni T, Ho S, Kuchar J, Payne K, Turk C, et al. Recruitment of ikaros to pericentromeric heterochromatin is regulated by phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:8291-300 pubmed publisher..We propose a model whereby reversible phosphorylation of Ikaros at specific amino acids controls the subcellular localization of Ikaros as well as its ability to regulate TdT expression during thymocyte differentiation. ..
- Singh D, Griffin D, Pacyniak E, Jackson M, Werle M, Wisdom B, et al. The presence of the casein kinase II phosphorylation sites of Vpu enhances the CD4(+) T cell loss caused by the simian-human immunodeficiency virus SHIV(KU-lbMC33) in pig-tailed macaques. Virology. 2003;313:435-51 pubmed
- Kerner J, Distler A, Minkler P, Parland W, Peterman S, Hoppel C. Phosphorylation of rat liver mitochondrial carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I: effect on the kinetic properties of the enzyme. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:41104-13 pubmed..These observations identify a new mechanism for regulation of hepatic CPT-I by phosphorylation. ..
- Oien D, Shinogle H, Moore D, Moskovitz J. Clearance and phosphorylation of alpha-synuclein are inhibited in methionine sulfoxide reductase a null yeast cells. J Mol Neurosci. 2009;39:323-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, a compromised MsrA function combined with alpha-synuclein overexpression may promote processes leading to synucleinopathies. ..
- Luo B, Repalli J, Yousef A, Johnson S, Lebioda L, Berger S. Human thymidylate synthase with loop 181-197 stabilized in an inactive conformation: ligand interactions, phosphorylation, and inhibition profiles. Protein Sci. 2011;20:87-94 pubmed publisher..Importantly, phosphorylation of hTS by CK2 is selective for the inactive conformation, providing the first indication of physiological relevance for conformational switching. ..
- Kalafatis M. Identification and partial characterization of factor Va heavy chain kinase from human platelets. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:8459-66 pubmed..These data suggest a critical role for factor Va phosphorylation on the surface of platelets in regulating cofactor activity. ..
- Chen M, Chen C, Chuang H, Kulp S, Teng C, Chen C. Novel mechanism by which histone deacetylase inhibitors facilitate topoisomerase II? degradation in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Hepatology. 2011;53:148-59 pubmed publisher..This study shows a novel pathway by which HDAC inhibitors facilitate the selective degradation of topoII?, which underlies the complexity of the functional role of HDAC in regulating tumorigenesis and aggressive phenotype in HCC cells. ..
- Bu Q, Zhu L, Dennis M, Yu L, Lu S, Person M, et al. Phosphorylation by CK2 enhances the rapid light-induced degradation of phytochrome interacting factor 1 in Arabidopsis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:12066-74 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that CK2-mediated phosphorylation enhances the light-induced degradation of PIF1 to promote photomorphogenesis. ..
- Lin W, Sheu G, Traugh J. Effects of autophosphorylation on casein kinase II activity: evidence from mutations in the beta subunit. Biochemistry. 1994;33:6998-7004 pubmed..After preincubation with ATP, the rate of phosphorylation of glycogen synthase by the wild-type and Ala4 enzymes was inhibited by 30%.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Feng L, Yoon H, Donahue T. Casein kinase II mediates multiple phosphorylation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae eIF-2 alpha (encoded by SUI2), which is required for optimal eIF-2 function in S. cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:5139-53 pubmed..These genetic data appear to indicate that the modifications that we describe at the carboxyl end of the eIF-2 alpha protein are required for optimal eIF-2 function in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Upton T, Wiltshire S, Francesconi S, Eisenberg S. ABF1 Ser-720 is a predominant phosphorylation site for casein kinase II of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:16153-9 pubmed..Thus, phosphorylation of ABF1 by yeast CKII may prove to be a useful system for studying targeting mechanisms of CKII to a physiological substrate. ..
- Jakobi R, Lin W, Traugh J. Modes of regulation of casein kinase II. Cell Mol Biol Res. 1994;40:421-9 pubmed..The catalytic alpha subunit contains the eleven conserved subdomains characteristic of all protein kinases.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Ivanova A, Caspary T, Seyfried N, Duong D, West A, Liu Z, et al. Biochemical characterization of purified mammalian ARL13B protein indicates that it is an atypical GTPase and ARL3 guanine nucleotide exchange factor (GEF). J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11091-11108 pubmed publisher..These results provide a solid framework for further research into ARL13B on which to develop models for the actions of this clinically important cell regulator. ..
- Lee Y, Schiemann W. Fibromodulin suppresses nuclear factor-kappaB activity by inducing the delayed degradation of IKBA via a JNK-dependent pathway coupled to fibroblast apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:6414-22 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study identified a novel function for Fmod in directing extracellular signaling, particularly the regulation of NF-?B activity and cell survival. ..
- Pickin K, Ezenwajiaku N, Overcash H, Sethi M, Knecht M, Paumi C. Suppression of Ycf1p function by Cka1p-dependent phosphorylation is attenuated in response to salt stress. FEMS Yeast Res. 2010;10:839-57 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our work demonstrates a novel biochemical role for Cka1p regulation of Ycf1p function in the cellular response of yeast to salt stress...
- Mulekar J, Bu Q, Chen F, Huq E. Casein kinase II ? subunits affect multiple developmental and stress-responsive pathways in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2012;69:343-54 pubmed publisher..Moreover, CK2 ? subunit mutants are also hyposensitive to a NaCl-induced blockage of seed germination. Taken together, these data suggest that CK2 ? subunits affect diverse developmental and stress responsive pathways in Arabidopsis. ..
- Nojiri M, Loyet K, Klenchin V, Kabachinski G, Martin T. CAPS activity in priming vesicle exocytosis requires CK2 phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:18707-14 pubmed publisher..These results identify a functionally important N-terminal phosphorylation site that regulates CAPS activity in priming vesicle exocytosis. ..
- Paumi C, Pickin K, Jarrar R, Herren C, Cowley S. Ycf1p attenuates basal level oxidative stress response in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:847-53 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that during acute salt stress increased Sod1p, Sod2p and Ctt1p activity is the main compensatory for the loss in Ycf1p function that results from reduced Ycf1p-dependent recycling of cellular GSH levels...
- Hu J, Bae Y, Knobel K, Barr M. Casein kinase II and calcineurin modulate TRPP function and ciliary localization. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2200-11 pubmed..A dynamic phosphorylation-dephosphorylation cycle may represent a mechanism for modulating TRPP activity, cellular sensation, and ciliary protein localization. ..
- Li Y, Keller D, Scott J, Lu H. CK2 phosphorylates SSRP1 and inhibits its DNA-binding activity. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11869-75 pubmed..These results suggest that CK2 regulates the DNA-binding ability of SSRP1 and that this regulation may be responsive to specific cell stresses. ..
- Megidish T, Cooper J, Zhang L, Fu H, Hakomori S. A novel sphingosine-dependent protein kinase (SDK1) specifically phosphorylates certain isoforms of 14-3-3 protein. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:21834-45 pubmed
- Chen C, Traugh J. Expression of recombinant elongation factor 1 beta from rabbit in Escherichia coli. Phosphorylation by casein kinase II. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995;1264:303-11 pubmed..A. (1994) Biochemistry, 8515-8520). In contrast, purified recombinant EF-1 beta was highly and specifically phosphorylated by casein kinase II; GDP and polylysine had little effect on the rate of phosphorylation of the purified subunit. ..
- Bailey Serres J, Vangala S, Szick K, Lee C. Acidic phosphoprotein complex of the 60S ribosomal subunit of maize seedling roots. Components and changes in response to flooding. Plant Physiol. 1997;114:1293-305 pubmed..We discuss possible alterations of the ribosomal P-protein complex and consider that these changes may be involved in the selective translation of mRNA in flooded roots. ..
- Bandhakavi S, McCann R, Hanna D, Glover C. A positive feedback loop between protein kinase CKII and Cdc37 promotes the activity of multiple protein kinases. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2829-36 pubmed..Collectively, these data define a positive feedback loop between CKII and Cdc37. Additional genetic assays demonstrate that this CKII/Cdc37 interaction positively regulates the activity of multiple protein kinases in addition to CKII. ..
- McElhinny J, Trushin S, Bren G, Chester N, Paya C. Casein kinase II phosphorylates I kappa B alpha at S-283, S-289, S-293, and T-291 and is required for its degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:899-906 pubmed
- Singh L, Kalafatis M. Sequencing of full-length cDNA encoding the alpha and beta subunits of human casein kinase II from human platelets and megakaryocytic cells. Expression of the casein kinase IIalpha intronless gene in a megakaryocytic cell line. Biochemistry. 2002;41:8935-40 pubmed..Expression of the intronless gene was only found in cell line MEG-01. Our data demonstrate expression of the CKIIalpha intronless gene in megakaryocytes and platelets. ..
- Toczyski D, Galgoczy D, Hartwell L. CDC5 and CKII control adaptation to the yeast DNA damage checkpoint. Cell. 1997;90:1097-106 pubmed
- Sheu G, Traugh J. A structural model for elongation factor 1 (EF-1) and phosphorylation by protein kinase CKII. Mol Cell Biochem. 1999;191:181-6 pubmed
- Lanning D, Lafuse W. Localization of the casein kinase II beta-subunit gene within the mouse H-2 complex class III region and comparison of expression with Bat genes. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:519-21 pubmed
- Jin Z, Mei W, Strack S, Jia J, Yang J. The antagonistic action of B56-containing protein phosphatase 2As and casein kinase 2 controls the phosphorylation and Gli turnover function of Daz interacting protein 1. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:36171-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, reversible phosphorylation of Dzip1, which is controlled by the antagonistic action of CK2 and B56-containing PP2As, has an important impact on the stability of Gli transcription factors and Hh signaling...
- Cabart P, Újvári A, Pal M, Luse D. Transcription factor TFIIF is not required for initiation by RNA polymerase II, but it is essential to stabilize transcription factor TFIIB in early elongation complexes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:15786-91 pubmed publisher..However, if TFIIF is not retained in the PIC, TFIIB can be lost immediately after initiation. TFIIF therefore has an important role in stabilizing TFIIB within the PIC and after transcription initiates. ..
- Mehra A, Shi M, Baker C, Colot H, Loros J, Dunlap J. A role for casein kinase 2 in the mechanism underlying circadian temperature compensation. Cell. 2009;137:749-60 pubmed publisher..Finally, mutation of certain putative CK2 phosphosites on FRQ, shown to be phosphorylated in vivo, predictably alters temperature compensation profiles effectively phenocopying CK2 mutants...
- Prins R, Burke R, Tyner J, Druker B, Loriaux M, Spurgeon S. CX-4945, a selective inhibitor of casein kinase-2 (CK2), exhibits anti-tumor activity in hematologic malignancies including enhanced activity in chronic lymphocytic leukemia when combined with fludarabine and inhibitors of the B-cell receptor pathway. Leukemia. 2013;27:2094-6 pubmed publisher
- Zheng Y, McFarland B, Drygin D, Yu H, Bellis S, Kim H, et al. Targeting protein kinase CK2 suppresses prosurvival signaling pathways and growth of glioblastoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2013;19:6484-94 pubmed publisher..In vivo, CX-4945 inhibits activation of STAT-3, NF-?B p65, and AKT, and promotes survival of mice with intracranial human glioblastoma xenografts. CK2 inhibitors may be considered for treatment of patients with glioblastoma. ..
- Chikamori K, Grabowski D, Kinter M, Willard B, Yadav S, Aebersold R, et al. Phosphorylation of serine 1106 in the catalytic domain of topoisomerase II alpha regulates enzymatic activity and drug sensitivity. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:12696-702 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Ca(2+)-regulated phosphorylation of Ser-1106 in the catalytic domain of topo II alpha modulates the enzymatic activity of this protein and sensitivity to topo II-targeting drugs. ..
- Li D, Dobrowolska G, Krebs E. The physical association of casein kinase 2 with nucleolin. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:15662-8 pubmed..At present, the physiological significance of the strong interaction between CK2 and nucleolin, an excellent substrate for the enzyme, is not clear. However, this association may be important for regulating rDNA transcription. ..
- Bragdon B, Thinakaran S, Moseychuk O, Gurski L, Bonor J, Price C, et al. Casein kinase 2 regulates in vivo bone formation through its interaction with bone morphogenetic protein receptor type Ia. Bone. 2011;49:944-54 pubmed publisher..These results indicate CK2 is crucial for osteoblast differentiation and could be a target for future therapeutics of fracture healing. ..
- Jones B, Thomas L, Molloy S, Thulin C, Fry M, Walsh K, et al. Intracellular trafficking of furin is modulated by the phosphorylation state of a casein kinase II site in its cytoplasmic tail. EMBO J. 1995;14:5869-83 pubmed..Thus, routing of furin is a two-tiered process combining a set of trafficking signals comprised of the primary amino acid sequence of the tail with its phosphorylation state. ..
- Lin W, Jakobi R, Traugh J. Reconstitution of heterologous and chimeric casein kinase II with recombinant subunits from human and Drosophila: identification of species-specific differences in the beta subunit. J Protein Chem. 1994;13:217-25 pubmed..The N-terminal region also affected solubility and electrophoretic mobility of the beta subunit. ..
- Szebeni A, Herrera J, Olson M. Interaction of nucleolar protein B23 with peptides related to nuclear localization signals. Biochemistry. 1995;34:8037-42 pubmed..Phosphorylation of protein B23 by casein kinase II enhanced its affinity for the SV40 T- and Rev-derived peptides approximately 2-fold.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Jia H, Liu Y, Xia R, Tong C, Yue T, Jiang J, et al. Casein kinase 2 promotes Hedgehog signaling by regulating both smoothened and Cubitus interruptus. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:37218-26 pubmed publisher..We showed that CK2 prevents Ci ubiquitination and degradation by the proteasome. Thus, CK2 promotes Hh signaling activity by regulating multiple pathway components. ..
- An S, Kyoung M, Allen J, Shokat K, Benkovic S. Dynamic regulation of a metabolic multi-enzyme complex by protein kinase CK2. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:11093-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we provide compelling cellular evidence that CK2-mediated pathways reversibly regulate purinosome assembly, and thus the purinosome may be one of the ultimate targets of kinase inhibitors. ..
- Keller D, Zeng X, Wang Y, Zhang Q, Kapoor M, Shu H, et al. A DNA damage-induced p53 serine 392 kinase complex contains CK2, hSpt16, and SSRP1. Mol Cell. 2001;7:283-92 pubmed..In addition, phosphorylation by the kinase complex enhances p53 activity. These results thus provide a potential mechanism for p53 activation by UV irradiation. ..
- Steveson T, Zhao G, Keutmann H, Mains R, Eipper B. Access of a membrane protein to secretory granules is facilitated by phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:40326-37 pubmed..The increased ability of solubilized PAM-1 TS/DD to aggregate at neutral pH may play an important role in its altered trafficking. ..
- Szebeni A, Hingorani K, Negi S, Olson M. Role of protein kinase CK2 phosphorylation in the molecular chaperone activity of nucleolar protein b23. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:9107-15 pubmed..These studies suggest that unlike many molecular chaperones, which directly hydrolyze ATP, substrate release by protein B23 is dependent on its phosphorylation by CK2. ..
- Mora G, Olivier K, Mitchell R, Jenkins R, Tindall D. Regulation of expression of the early growth response gene-1 (EGR-1) in malignant and benign cells of the prostate. Prostate. 2005;63:198-207 pubmed..BPH-1 cells, in contrast, maintain a more responsive, less phosphorylated EGR-1 pool. These findings suggest that EGR-1 expression and activity is differentially regulated in PC-3 and BPH-1 cell lines. ..
- Collison L, Kannan L, Onorato T, Knudsen J, Haldar D, Jolly C. Aging reduces glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase activity in activated rat splenic T-lymphocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1687:164-72 pubmed..This age-induced alteration would result in reduced PA biosynthesis and could explain, in part, the diminished phospholipid content of the membrane and subsequent loss of proliferative capacity in the aged T-lymphocyte. ..
- Izeradjene K, Douglas L, Delaney A, Houghton J. Casein kinase II (CK2) enhances death-inducing signaling complex (DISC) activity in TRAIL-induced apoptosis in human colon carcinoma cell lines. Oncogene. 2005;24:2050-8 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that CK2 plays a critical antiapoptotic role by conferring resistance to TRAIL at the level of the DISC. ..
- Shanware N, Zhan L, Hutchinson J, Kim S, Williams L, Tibbetts R. Conserved and distinct modes of CREB/ATF transcription factor regulation by PP2A/B56gamma and genotoxic stress. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12173 pubmed publisher..These studies define overlapping and distinct modes of CREB and ATF1 regulation by phosphorylation that may ensure concerted changes in gene expression mediated by these factors. ..
- Li D, Meier U, Dobrowolska G, Krebs E. Specific interaction between casein kinase 2 and the nucleolar protein Nopp140. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:3773-9 pubmed
- Kim J, Somers D. Rapid assessment of gene function in the circadian clock using artificial microRNA in Arabidopsis mesophyll protoplasts. Plant Physiol. 2010;154:611-21 pubmed publisher..This approach will be useful in a wide range of plant disciplines when an endogenous cell-based phenotype is observable or can be devised, as done here using a luciferase reporter...
- Bragdon B, Thinakaran S, Moseychuk O, King D, Young K, Litchfield D, et al. Casein kinase 2 beta-subunit is a regulator of bone morphogenetic protein 2 signaling. Biophys J. 2010;99:897-904 pubmed publisher..Signaling was initiated once CK2 was released from BRIa, leading to the mineralization of C2C12 cells. These data suggest that CK2 is a negative regulator of BMP signaling and osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Keller D, Lu H. p53 serine 392 phosphorylation increases after UV through induction of the assembly of the CK2.hSPT16.SSRP1 complex. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:50206-13 pubmed
- Wong E, Schaefer A, Landreth G, Lemmon V. Casein kinase II phosphorylates the neural cell adhesion molecule L1. J Neurochem. 1996;66:779-86 pubmed..These data show that CKII is associated with and able to phosphorylate L1. This phosphorylation may be important in regulating certain aspects of L1 function, such as adhesivity or signal transduction. ..
- Negi S, Olson M. Effects of interphase and mitotic phosphorylation on the mobility and location of nucleolar protein B23. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:3676-85 pubmed..1, the longer variant. These results provide evidence that phosphorylation at these sites reduces the affinity of B23 for nucleolar components and might be a factor in regulating its location during the cell cycle. ..