Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans
Publications519 found, 100 shown here
- Pfeiffer M, Kayzer E, Yang X, Abramson E, Kenaston M, Lago C, et al. Caenorhabditis elegans UCP4 protein controls complex II-mediated oxidative phosphorylation through succinate transport. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:37712-20 pubmed publisher..These results identify a novel function for ceUCP4 in the regulation of complex II-based metabolism through an unexpected mechanism involving succinate transport. ..
- Chen B, Liu P, Zhan H, Wang Z. Dystrobrevin controls neurotransmitter release and muscle Ca(2+) transients by localizing BK channels in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Neurosci. 2011;31:17338-47 pubmed publisher..These observations revealed novel functions of the BK channel in regulating muscle Ca(2+) transients and of dystrobrevin in controlling neurotransmitter release and muscle Ca(2+) transients by localizing the BK channel. ..
- Hughes A, Friedman R. Differential loss of ancestral gene families as a source of genomic divergence in animals. Proc Biol Sci. 2004;271 Suppl 3:S107-9 pubmed..These results indicate that the differential loss of ancestral gene families can be a significant factor in the evolutionary diversification of organisms. ..
- Baer C, Denver D. Spontaneous mutations decrease sensitivity of gene expression to random environmental variation in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8750 pubmed publisher..This finding is consistent with the idea that underlying variability in gene expression might be mechanistically responsible for phenotypic robustness. ..
- Zhao Z, Boyle T, Liu Z, Murray J, Wood W, Waterston R. A negative regulatory loop between microRNA and Hox gene controls posterior identities in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001089 pubmed publisher..Given the conservation of the miRNA and Hox gene, the regulatory mechanism might be broadly used across species. The strategy used here to explore mir-57 function provides a path to dissect the regulatory relationship between genes. ..
- Somerville R, Longpre J, Jungers K, Engle J, Ross M, Evanko S, et al. Characterization of ADAMTS-9 and ADAMTS-20 as a distinct ADAMTS subfamily related to Caenorhabditis elegans GON-1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:9503-13 pubmed
- Gabriel E, Campbell W. Effect of ambient salinity on immobilization of Caenorhabditis elegans by nematocidal agents. Parasitol Res. 2003;90:390-2 pubmed..We report that the paralyzing property of ivermectin was enhanced by the presence of salt, while the efficacy of levamisole and chlorpromazine was reduced. ..
- Lynch M, Katju V. The altered evolutionary trajectories of gene duplicates. Trends Genet. 2004;20:544-9 pubmed
- Lai L, Kang J, Li R, Wang J, Witt W, Yong H, et al. Generation of cloned transgenic pigs rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Nat Biotechnol. 2006;24:435-6 pubmed..The hfat-1 transgenic pigs produce high levels of n-3 fatty acids from n-6 analogs, and their tissues have a significantly reduced ratio of n-6/n-3 fatty acids (P < 0.001). ..
- Broitman Maduro G, Owraghi M, Hung W, Kuntz S, Sternberg P, Maduro M. The NK-2 class homeodomain factor CEH-51 and the T-box factor TBX-35 have overlapping function in C. elegans mesoderm development. Development. 2009;136:2735-46 pubmed publisher..elegans to specify a major precursor of mesoderm. ..
- Chritton J, Wickens M. Translational repression by PUF proteins in vitro. RNA. 2010;16:1217-25 pubmed publisher..We suggest a model in which PUF proteins can control translation termination or elongation. ..
- Darby B, Jones K, Wheeler D, Herman M. Normalization and centering of array-based heterologous genome hybridization based on divergent control probes. BMC Bioinformatics. 2011;12:183 pubmed publisher..For short, 25-mer probes, hybridization intensity alone may be insufficiently correlated with sequence similarity to allow reliable inference of homology at the probe level. ..
- Wang R, Mason D, Choe K, Lewin A, Peters E, Luesch H. In vitro and in vivo characterization of a tunable dual-reactivity probe of the Nrf2-ARE pathway. ACS Chem Biol. 2013;8:1764-74 pubmed publisher..This further translated into the downstream Nrf2-ARE regulated cytoprotective gene activation. Collectively, AI-3 may become a valuable biological tool and may even provide therapeutic benefits in oxidative stress related diseases. ..
- Mayers J, Wang L, Pramanik J, Johnson A, Sarkeshik A, Wang Y, et al. Regulation of ubiquitin-dependent cargo sorting by multiple endocytic adaptors at the plasma membrane. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:11857-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a unique mechanism by which ubiquitin-modified cargoes are sequestered into the endolysosomal pathway...
- Fei Y, Romero M, Krause M, Liu J, Huang W, Ganapathy V, et al. A novel H(+)-coupled oligopeptide transporter (OPT3) from Caenorhabditis elegans with a predominant function as a H(+) channel and an exclusive expression in neurons. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:9563-71 pubmed..elegans demonstrate that opt3 gene is exclusively expressed in neurons. OPT3 may play an important physiological role as a pH balancer in the maintenance of H(+) homeostasis in C. elegans. ..
- Barr M, DeModena J, Braun D, Nguyen C, Hall D, Sternberg P. The Caenorhabditis elegans autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease gene homologs lov-1 and pkd-2 act in the same pathway. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1341-6 pubmed
- Maduro M, Broitman Maduro G, Mengarelli I, Rothman J. Maternal deployment of the embryonic SKN-1-->MED-1,2 cell specification pathway in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2007;301:590-601 pubmed
- Nykamp K, Lee M, Kimble J. C. elegans La-related protein, LARP-1, localizes to germline P bodies and attenuates Ras-MAPK signaling during oogenesis. RNA. 2008;14:1378-89 pubmed publisher..We suggest that LARP-1 functions in P bodies to attenuate the abundance of conserved Ras-MAPK mRNAs. We also propose that the cluster of LARP-1 homologs may function generally to control the expression of key developmental regulators. ..
- Tamayo J, Gujar M, Macdonald S, Lundquist E. Functional transcriptomic analysis of the role of MAB-5/Hox in Q neuroblast migration in Caenorhabditis elegans. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:304 pubmed publisher..The identities of the genes regulated by MAB-5 indicate that MAB-5 acts by modifying interactions with the basement membrane, resulting in posterior versus anterior migration. ..
- Yoon D, Alfhili M, Friend K, Lee M. MPK-1/ERK regulatory network controls the number of sperm by regulating timing of sperm-oocyte switch in C. elegans germline. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:1077-1082 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the MPK-1/ERK regulatory network, including FBF-1, FBF-2, and LIP-1, controls the number of sperm by regulating the timing of the sperm-oocyte switch in C. elegans. ..
- Krieser R, Eastman A. The cloning and expression of human deoxyribonuclease II. A possible role in apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:30909-14 pubmed..These results demonstrate that DNase II acts downstream of caspase activation and that it may be activated by an as yet unknown mechanism to induce DNA digestion during apoptosis. ..
- Struckhoff E, Lundquist E. The actin-binding protein UNC-115 is an effector of Rac signaling during axon pathfinding in C. elegans. Development. 2003;130:693-704 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that UNC-115 can bind to actin filaments. Thus, UNC-115 is an actin-binding protein that acts downstream of Rac signaling in axon pathfinding. ..
- BEMBENEK J, Richie C, Squirrell J, Campbell J, Eliceiri K, Poteryaev D, et al. Cortical granule exocytosis in C. elegans is regulated by cell cycle components including separase. Development. 2007;134:3837-48 pubmed..These observations lead us to speculate that SEP-1 has two separable yet coordinated functions: to regulate cortical granule exocytosis and to mediate chromosome separation. ..
- Lee M, Kim K, Morgan C, Morgan D, Kimble J. Phosphorylation state of a Tob/BTG protein, FOG-3, regulates initiation and maintenance of the Caenorhabditis elegans sperm fate program. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9125-30 pubmed publisher..We discuss implications of our results for Tob/BTG proteins in vertebrates. ..
- Kipreos E, Gohel S, Hedgecock E. The C. elegans F-box/WD-repeat protein LIN-23 functions to limit cell division during development. Development. 2000;127:5071-82 pubmed..In contrast, lin-23 functions cell autonomously to negatively regulate cell cycle progression, thereby allowing cell cycle exit in response to developmental signals. ..
- Friedman L, Santa Anna Arriola S, Hodgkin J, Kimble J. gon-4, a cell lineage regulator required for gonadogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Biol. 2000;228:350-62 pubmed..We conclude that gon-4 is a regulator of the early lineage of Z1 and Z4 and suggest that it is a part of a genetic program common to the regulation of both hermaphrodite and male gonadogenesis. ..
- Powers J, Rose D, Saunders A, Dunkelbarger S, Strome S, Saxton W. Loss of KLP-19 polar ejection force causes misorientation and missegregation of holocentric chromosomes. J Cell Biol. 2004;166:991-1001 pubmed
- Opperman L, Hook B, DeFino M, Bernstein D, Wickens M. A single spacer nucleotide determines the specificities of two mRNA regulatory proteins. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:945-51 pubmed..We suggest that new specificities can be designed and selected using the PUF scaffold. ..
- Demarco R, Struckhoff E, Lundquist E. The Rac GTP exchange factor TIAM-1 acts with CDC-42 and the guidance receptor UNC-40/DCC in neuronal protrusion and axon guidance. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002665 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggest that Rac GTPase activity is controlled by different GEFs in distinct axon guidance contexts, explaining how Rac GTPases can specifically control multiple cellular functions. ..
- Reinitz C, Herfel H, Messinger L, Stretton A. Changes in locomotory behavior and cAMP produced in Ascaris suum by neuropeptides from Ascaris suum or Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2000;111:185-97 pubmed
- O Connell K, Caron C, Kopish K, Hurd D, Kemphues K, Li Y, et al. The C. elegans zyg-1 gene encodes a regulator of centrosome duplication with distinct maternal and paternal roles in the embryo. Cell. 2001;105:547-58 pubmed..ZYG-1 is therefore a key molecular component of the centrosome/centriole duplication process. ..
- Palmer R, Inoue T, Sherwood D, Jiang L, Sternberg P. Caenorhabditis elegans cog-1 locus encodes GTX/Nkx6.1 homeodomain proteins and regulates multiple aspects of reproductive system development. Dev Biol. 2002;252:202-13 pubmed..Two mutant alleles of cog-1 differentially affect alternative transcripts and cause different phenotypes, suggesting that the two forms of cog-1 have distinct functions in C. elegans. ..
- Lee M, Shen B, Schwarzbauer J, Ahn J, Kwon J. Connections between integrins and Rac GTPase pathways control gonad formation and function in C. elegans. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1723:248-55 pubmed..Furthermore, data showing distinct phenotypes of HA-betatail with unc-73 versus ced-5 suggest some tissue-specificity in the usage of Rac signaling pathways. ..
- Ems S, Mohler W. Ultrastructural imaging of cell fusion in Caenorhabditis elegans. Methods Mol Biol. 2008;475:245-62 pubmed publisher..The principles of different techniques for TEM and details of protocols that have been used to investigate cell fusion in the nematode are discussed in this chapter. ..
- Rockman M, Kruglyak L. Recombinational landscape and population genomics of Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000419 pubmed publisher..elegans strains. ..
- Allen A, Maher K, Wani K, Betts K, Chase D. Coexpressed D1- and D2-like dopamine receptors antagonistically modulate acetylcholine release in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2011;188:579-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, coexpressed D1- and D2-like dopamine receptors act antagonistically in vivo to modulate acetylcholine release from the cholinergic motor neurons of C. elegans...
- Sedensky M, Pujazon M, Morgan P. Tail clamp responses in stomatin knockout mice compared with mobility assays in Caenorhabditis elegans during exposure to diethyl ether, halothane, and isoflurane. Anesthesiology. 2006;105:498-502 pubmed..The effects of stomatin deficiency cross phylogenetic boundaries and support the importance of this protein in anesthetic response and the use of C. elegans as a model for anesthetic action in mammals. ..
- Ezak M, Ferkey D. The C. elegans D2-like dopamine receptor DOP-3 decreases behavioral sensitivity to the olfactory stimulus 1-octanol. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9487 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that dopaminergic signaling through DOP-3 normally acts to dampen ASH signaling and behavioral sensitivity to octanol. ..
- Bal N, Sharon A, Gupta S, Jena N, Shaikh S, Gyorke S, et al. The catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia mutation R33Q disrupts the N-terminal structural motif that regulates reversible calsequestrin polymerization. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:17188-96 pubmed publisher..This study provides new mechanistic insight into the functional effects of the R33Q mutation and its potential role in CPVT. ..
- Barr M, Sternberg P. A polycystic kidney-disease gene homologue required for male mating behaviour in C. elegans. Nature. 1999;401:386-9 pubmed..PKD-2, the C. elegans homologue of PKD2, is localized to the same neurons as LOV-1, suggesting that they function in the same pathway...
- Johnson A, Fitzsimmons D, Hagman J, Chamberlin H. EGL-38 Pax regulates the ovo-related gene lin-48 during Caenorhabditis elegans organ development. Development. 2001;128:2857-65 pubmed..These experiments demonstrate a functional link between Pax and Ovo transcription factors, and provide a model for how Pax transcription factors can regulate different target genes in different cells. ..
- Deshpande R, Inoue T, Priess J, Hill R. lin-17/Frizzled and lin-18 regulate POP-1/TCF-1 localization and cell type specification during C. elegans vulval development. Dev Biol. 2005;278:118-29 pubmed..These experiments suggest that Wnt signaling pathways reorient cell lineages in the posterior half of the vulva from a default orientation displayed in the anterior half of the vulva. ..
- Zhang G, Sleiman S, Tseng R, Rajakumar V, Wang X, Chamberlin H. Alteration of the DNA binding domain disrupts distinct functions of the C. elegans Pax protein EGL-38. Mech Dev. 2005;122:887-99 pubmed..The distinction between DNA binding and activity is consistent with the model that other factors commonly play a role in mediating Pax protein target site selection and function in vivo. ..
- Tilmann C, Kimble J. Cyclin D regulation of a sexually dimorphic asymmetric cell division. Dev Cell. 2005;9:489-99 pubmed..We propose that cyclin D and other canonical regulators of the G1/S transition coordinate key regulators of axis formation and sex determination with cell cycle progression to achieve the sexually dimorphic SGP asymmetric division. ..
- Smith E, Tsuchiya M, Fox L, Dang N, Hu D, Kerr E, et al. Quantitative evidence for conserved longevity pathways between divergent eukaryotic species. Genome Res. 2008;18:564-70 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings indicate that the genetic component of life span determination is significantly conserved between divergent eukaryotic species, and suggest pathways that are likely to play a similar role in mammalian aging. ..
- Liu P, Ge Q, Chen B, Salkoff L, Kotlikoff M, Wang Z. Genetic dissection of ion currents underlying all-or-none action potentials in C. elegans body-wall muscle cells. J Physiol. 2011;589:101-17 pubmed publisher..elegans body-wall myocytes generate all-or-none APs, which evoke Ca2+ release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR), although the specific ion channels used for AP upstroke and repolarization differ...
- Zorio D, Lea K, Blumenthal T. Cloning of Caenorhabditis U2AF65: an alternatively spliced RNA containing a novel exon. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:946-53 pubmed..The alternatively spliced RNA accumulates at high levels following starvation, suggesting that this RNA may represent an adaption for reducing U2AF65 levels when pre-mRNA levels are low. ..
- Barth J, Argraves K, Roark E, Little C, Argraves W. Identification of chicken and C. elegans fibulin-1 homologs and characterization of the C. elegans fibulin-1 gene. Matrix Biol. 1998;17:635-46 pubmed..The results of this study indicate that the structure of the fibulin-1 protein has remained highly conserved over a large period of evolution, suggestive of functional conservation. ..
- Cali B, Kuchma S, Latham J, Anderson P. smg-7 is required for mRNA surveillance in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 1999;151:605-16 pubmed..We provide evidence that smg-7 is cotranscribed with the previously characterized gene lin-45 and show that null alleles of smg-7 confer a temperature-sensitive defect in NMD. ..
- Bowerman B, Severson A. Cell division: plant-like properties of animal cell cytokinesis. Curr Biol. 1999;9:R658-60 pubmed..Recent evidence that a syntaxin is required for cytokinesis in Caenorhabditis elegans embryos suggests that the mechanism of cell division in plant and animal cells may be more similar than previously imagined. ..
- Lynch M. Genomics. Gene duplication and evolution. Science. 2002;297:945-7 pubmed
- Thompson B, Bernstein D, Bachorik J, Petcherski A, Wickens M, Kimble J. Dose-dependent control of proliferation and sperm specification by FOG-1/CPEB. Development. 2005;132:3471-81 pubmed..The dose-dependent control of proliferation and cell fate by FOG-1 has striking parallels with Xenopus CPEB, suggesting a conserved mechanism in animal development. ..
- Baugh L, Hunter C. MyoD, modularity, and myogenesis: conservation of regulators and redundancy in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3342-6 pubmed
- Balamurugan K, Ashokkumar B, Moussaif M, Sze J, Said H. Cloning and functional characterization of a folate transporter from the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;293:C670-81 pubmed..Thus C. elegans provides a genetically tractable model that can be used to study integrative aspects of the folate uptake process in the context of the whole animal level. ..
- Hallem E, Sternberg P. Acute carbon dioxide avoidance in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8038-43 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that C. elegans senses and responds to CO2 using multiple signaling pathways and a neural network that includes the BAG neurons and that this response is modulated by the physiological state of the worm. ..
- Yu H, Seah A, Sternberg P. Re-programming of C. elegans male epidermal precursor fates by Wnt, Hox, and LIN-12/Notch activities. Dev Biol. 2010;345:1-11 pubmed publisher..p fate specification, indicating that regulation of ectopic HCG fate formation revealed in anterior Pn.p cells reflect mechanisms of pattern formation during normal hook development. ..
- Burton N, Burkhart K, Kennedy S. Nuclear RNAi maintains heritable gene silencing in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:19683-8 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that siRNA expression is heritable in C. elegans and define an RNAi pathway that promotes the maintenance of RNAi silencing and siRNA expression in the progeny of animals exposed to dsRNA. ..
- Steiner F, Talbert P, Kasinathan S, Deal R, Henikoff S. Cell-type-specific nuclei purification from whole animals for genome-wide expression and chromatin profiling. Genome Res. 2012;22:766-77 pubmed publisher..This method should be universally applicable to all model systems that allow transgenesis and will make it possible to determine epigenetic and expression profiles of different tissues and cell types. ..
- Vrablik T, Watts J. Emerging roles for specific fatty acids in developmental processes. Genes Dev. 2012;26:631-7 pubmed publisher..554-566) describe how the particular combination of a branched chain fatty acid and an acyl-CoA synthetase is required for critical cellular processes during early embryogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. ..
- Peyou Ndi M, Watts J, Browse J. Identification and characterization of an animal delta(12) fatty acid desaturase gene by heterologous expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2000;376:399-408 pubmed
- Strome S, Powers J, Dunn M, Reese K, Malone C, White J, et al. Spindle dynamics and the role of gamma-tubulin in early Caenorhabditis elegans embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1751-64 pubmed..Our results suggest that gamma-tubulin is not absolutely required for microtubule nucleation in C. elegans but is required for the normal organization and function of kinetochore and interpolar microtubules. ..
- Lam N, Chesney M, Kimble J. Wnt signaling and CEH-22/tinman/Nkx2.5 specify a stem cell niche in C. elegans. Curr Biol. 2006;16:287-95 pubmed..5 homeodomain transcription factor is a key regulator of DTC specification. We speculate that these conserved molecular regulators of the DTC niche in nematodes may provide insight into specification of stem cell niches more broadly. ..
- Sedensky M, Morgan P. Mitochondrial respiration and reactive oxygen species in C. elegans. Exp Gerontol. 2006;41:957-67 pubmed..Taken as a group, these mutant strains indicate that metabolic rate, per se, only affects longevity indirectly. Mutations causing lowered metabolic rate potential are capable of decreasing or increasing longevity. ..
- Johnson R, Chamberlin H. Positive and negative regulatory inputs restrict pax-6/vab-3 transcription to sensory organ precursors in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mech Dev. 2008;125:486-97 pubmed publisher..Thus we have identified multiple genetic pathways that act to restrict pax-6/vab-3 gene expression to the sensory organ precursor cells. ..
- Murray J, Bao Z, Boyle T, Boeck M, Mericle B, Nicholas T, et al. Automated analysis of embryonic gene expression with cellular resolution in C. elegans. Nat Methods. 2008;5:703-9 pubmed publisher..Systematic application of this system could reveal the gene activity of each cell throughout development. ..
- Shakir M, Jiang K, Struckhoff E, Demarco R, Patel F, Soto M, et al. The Arp2/3 activators WAVE and WASP have distinct genetic interactions with Rac GTPases in Caenorhabditis elegans axon guidance. Genetics. 2008;179:1957-71 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that at least three actin-modulating pathways act in parallel to control actin dynamics and lamellipodia and filopodia formation during axon guidance (WASP-WAVE, UNC-115/abLIM, and UNC-34/Enabled). ..
- Zaidel Bar R, Joyce M, Lynch A, Witte K, Audhya A, Hardin J. The F-BAR domain of SRGP-1 facilitates cell-cell adhesion during C. elegans morphogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:761-9 pubmed publisher..These studies establish a new role for this conserved protein family in modulating cell-cell adhesion. ..
- Kaplan F, Srinivasan J, Mahanti P, Ajredini R, Durak O, Nimalendran R, et al. Ascaroside expression in Caenorhabditis elegans is strongly dependent on diet and developmental stage. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17804 pubmed publisher..elegans may exhibit functional homology also at the sensory level. In addition, our results provide a strong foundation for future behavioral modeling studies. ..
- Snow J, Lee M, Verheyden J, Kroll Conner P, Kimble J. C. elegans FOG-3/Tob can either promote or inhibit germline proliferation, depending on gene dosage and genetic context. Oncogene. 2013;32:2614-21 pubmed publisher..The discovery of these FOG-3 effects on proliferation has implications for our understanding of vertebrate Tob/BTG proteins and their influence on normal development and tumorigenesis...
- Wesener D, May J, Huffman E, Kiessling L. UDP-galactopyranose mutase in nematodes. Biochemistry. 2013;52:4391-8 pubmed publisher..The available data suggest that CeUGM facilitates the biosynthetic incorporation of Galf into nematode glycoconjugates through generation of the glycosyl donor UDP-Galf. ..
- Seidel H, Kimble J. Cell-cycle quiescence maintains Caenorhabditis elegans germline stem cells independent of GLP-1/Notch. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Thus, cell-cycle quiescence can itself maintain stem cells, independent of the signaling pathway otherwise essential for such maintenance. ..
- Hagen F, Ten Hagen K, Beres T, Balys M, VanWuyckhuyse B, Tabak L. cDNA cloning and expression of a novel UDP-N-acetyl-D-galactosamine:polypeptide N-acetylgalactosaminyltransferase. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:13843-8 pubmed
- Lu J, Dentler W, Lundquist E. FLI-1 Flightless-1 and LET-60 Ras control germ line morphogenesis in C. elegans. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:54 pubmed publisher..FLI-1 controls germ line morphogenesis and rachis organization, a process about which little is known at the molecular level. The LET-60 Ras GTPase might act with FLI-1 to control germ line morphogenesis. ..
- Guang S, Bochner A, Pavelec D, Burkhart K, Harding S, Lachowiec J, et al. An Argonaute transports siRNAs from the cytoplasm to the nucleus. Science. 2008;321:537-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, specific Argonaute proteins can transport specific classes of small regulatory RNAs to distinct cellular compartments to regulate gene expression. ..
- Moore L, Morrison M, Roth M. HCP-1, a protein involved in chromosome segregation, is localized to the centromere of mitotic chromosomes in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:471-80 pubmed..These results suggest that HCP-1 is a centromere-associated protein that is involved in the fidelity of chromosome segregation. ..
- Hong Y, Lee R, Ambros V. Structure and function analysis of LIN-14, a temporal regulator of postembryonic developmental events in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:2285-95 pubmed..These results support the view that LIN-14 controls developmental timing in C. elegans by regulating gene expression in the nucleus. ..
- Luitjens C, Gallegos M, Kraemer B, Kimble J, Wickens M. CPEB proteins control two key steps in spermatogenesis in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2000;14:2596-609 pubmed..In sum, our results demonstrate that, in C. elegans, two CPEB proteins have distinct functions in the germ line, both in spermatogenesis: FOG-1 specifies the sperm cell fate and CPB-1 executes that decision. ..
- Miskowski J, Li Y, Kimble J. The sys-1 gene and sexual dimorphism during gonadogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Biol. 2001;230:61-73 pubmed..We conclude that the primary role of sys-1 is to establish the shape and polarity of the hermaphrodite gonad. ..
- Xu L, Paulsen J, Yoo Y, Goodwin E, Strome S. Caenorhabditis elegans MES-3 is a target of GLD-1 and functions epigenetically in germline development. Genetics. 2001;159:1007-17 pubmed..We propose that MES-3 acts epigenetically to induce a germline state that is inherited through both meiosis and mitosis and that is essential for survival of the germline...
- Bui Y, Sternberg P. Caenorhabditis elegans inositol 5-phosphatase homolog negatively regulates inositol 1,4,5-triphosphate signaling in ovulation. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1641-51 pubmed..ipp-5 acts downstream of let-23, and interacts with let-23-mediated IP(3) signaling pathway genes. We infer that IPP-5 negatively regulates IP(3) signaling to ensure proper spermathecal contraction. ..
- Zhao X, Sawa H, Herman M. tcl-2 encodes a novel protein that acts synergistically with Wnt signaling pathways in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2003;256:276-89 pubmed..Our results suggest that tcl-2 functions with Wnt pathways to control T cell fate specification, gonad development, and P12 cell fate specification. ..
- Friedman K, Heller A. Guanosine distribution and oxidation resistance in eight eukaryotic genomes. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:2368-71 pubmed..The G distribution in the Encephalitozoon (parasite) genome was not protective relative to that of the standard genome. ..
- Tzafrir I, Pena Muralla R, Dickerman A, Berg M, Rogers R, Hutchens S, et al. Identification of genes required for embryo development in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2004;135:1206-20 pubmed..These candidates should facilitate the recovery of additional genes required for seed development. ..
- Lamont L, Crittenden S, Bernstein D, Wickens M, Kimble J. FBF-1 and FBF-2 regulate the size of the mitotic region in the C. elegans germline. Dev Cell. 2004;7:697-707 pubmed..Therefore, fbf-1 and fbf-2 provide a paradigm for how recently duplicated genes can diverge to fine-tune patterning during animal development. ..