Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on brazil in Brazil
Publications476 found, 100 shown here
- Soriano E, Caldas A, de Carvalho M, Caldas K. Relationship between traumatic dental injuries and obesity in Brazilian schoolchildren. Dent Traumatol. 2009;25:506-9 pubmed publisher..05). It was concluded that the presence of obesity was not associated to traumatic dental injuries in adolescents from Recife, Brazil. ..
- Severo C, Xavier M, Gazzoni A, Severo L. Cryptococcosis in children. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2009;10:166-71 pubmed publisher..Emphasis is placed upon paediatric cases occuring in Brazil and in particular to highlight the difference between cases diagnosed in Porto Alegre (South - subtropical climate) and in Belem (North - equatorial climate). ..
- Franco C, Andrade A, Andrade J, Almeida e Silva S, Oliveira C, Pimenta F, et al. Survey of nonsusceptible nasopharyngeal Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in children attending day-care centers in Brazil. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2010;29:77-9 pubmed publisher..9% of them PNSp. Serotypes coverage projected for the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) 13-valent vaccine (72%) was significantly higher compared with PCV7 (58.4%) and PCV 10-valent vaccine (59.3%). ..
- Murussi C, Costa M, Leitemperger J, Guerra L, Rodrigues C, Menezes C, et al. Exposure to different glyphosate formulations on the oxidative and histological status of Rhamdia quelen. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2016;42:445-55 pubmed publisher..0 mg/L of Biocarb(Â®) in comparison with the control group. In summary, the oxidative damage generated by GLY may have caused the increased formation of free radicals that led to the histological alterations observed in hepatocytes. ..
- de Almeida M, Da Silva R, Delgado J, Poledna R, de AraÃºjo M, Laranjeira A, et al. Determination of impurities in (124)I samples by high resolution gamma spectrometry. Appl Radiat Isot. 2016;109:261-263 pubmed publisher..Activity ratios of (125)I and (126)I to (124)I were approximately 0.5% and 98%, respectively. ..
- Witter R, Martins T, Campos A, Melo A, CorrÃªa S, Morgado T, et al. Rickettsial infection in ticks (Acari: Ixodidae) of wild animals in midwestern Brazil. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2016;7:415-23 pubmed publisher..Our results represent an impressive expansion of knowledge on tick fauna and rickettsiae and are essential for understanding the ecology of ticks and tick-borne diseases in the Neotropical region, particularly in midwestern Brazil. ..
- Sartori A, de SoÃ¡rez P, Fernandes E, Gryninger L, Viscondi J, Novaes H. Cost-effectiveness analysis of universal maternal immunization with tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (Tdap) vaccine in Brazil. Vaccine. 2016;34:1531-1539 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that universal maternal immunization with Tdap is a cost-effective intervention for preventing pertussis cases and deaths in infants in Brazil. ..
- Cortinhas L, MendonÃ§a P, Barbosa R, Queiroz M. Ultrastructure of immature stages of the black dump fly: Ophyra aenescens (Wiedemann, 1830) (Diptera: Muscidae: Azeliinae). Acta Trop. 2016;158:125-129 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the SEM technique used and the results obtained are helpful to describe and differentiate the immature stages of O. aenescens and consequently support forensic and medical entomology. ..
- Souza C, Streck A, GonÃ§alves K, Pinto L, Ravazzolo A, de Barcellos D, et al. Phylogenetic characterization of the first Ungulate tetraparvovirus 2 detected in pigs in Brazil. Braz J Microbiol. 2016;47:513-7 pubmed publisher..The phylogenetic analysis demonstrated that Brazilian UTV2 sequences were more closely related to sequences from Europe and United States. ..
- Cavalcanti L, Freitas A, Brasil P, Cunha R. Surveillance of deaths caused by arboviruses in Brazil: from dengue to chikungunya. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:583-585 pubmed publisher..The major challenge ahead is to investigate deaths suspected of occurring due to arbovirus infections and to understand the role of each infection in the unfavourable outcome. ..
- Bernardi D, Lazzari J, Andreazza F, Mayer N, Botton M, Nava D. Susceptibility, Oviposition Preference, and Biology of Grapholita molesta (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) in Prunus Spp. Rootstock Genotypes. Environ Entomol. 2017;46:871-877 pubmed publisher..kansuensis and 'Capdeboscq.' The results found in the present study can provide information to initiate a long-term breeding program moving desired G. molesta resistance traits from the rootstock into the Prunus spp. cultivars. ..
- Pieczarka J, Nagamachi C, Muniz J, Barros R, Mattevi M. Analysis of constitutive heterochromatin of Aotus (Cebidae, Primates) by restriction enzyme and fluorochrome bands. Chromosome Res. 1998;6:77-83 pubmed
- Wenning M, Silva N, Jorge S, Kimura E, Costa F, Torsoni -, et al. Hb Campinas [alpha26(B7)Ala -->Val]: a novel, electrophoretically silent, variant. Hemoglobin. 2000;24:143-8 pubmed
- Corseuil H, Moreno F. Phytoremediation potential of willow trees for aquifers contaminated with ethanol-blended gasoline. Water Res. 2001;35:3013-7 pubmed..Results suggest that phytoremediation can be a good complement to intrinsic remediation in shallow aquifer sites contaminated with ethanol-blended gasoline spills...
- Lima e Costa M, Barreto S, Guerra H, Firmo J, Uchoa E, Vidigal P. Ageing with Trypanosoma cruzi infection in a community where the transmission has been interrupted: the Bambuí Health and Ageing Study (BHAS). Int J Epidemiol. 2001;30:887-93 pubmed..cruzi infection in areas where the infection was widespread in the past. ..
- Pena H, Ogassawara S, Sinhorini I. Occurrence of cattle Sarcocystis species in raw kibbe from Arabian food establishments in the city of São Paulo, Brazil, and experimental transmission to humans. J Parasitol. 2001;87:1459-65 pubmed..Six volunteers (85.7%), 2 of whom developed diarrhea, excreted sporocysts in feces. The prepatent period lasted 10-14 (12 +/- 1.8) days and the patent period lasted 5-12 (8.8 +/- 1.1) days...
- Katz G, Williams R, Burt M, de Souza L, Pereira L, Mills J, et al. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in the State of São Paulo, Brazil, 1993-1998. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2001;1:181-90 pubmed..The IgG antibody prevalence data for rodents suggest that Bolomys lasiurus and perhaps Akodon sp. are potential hantavirus reservoirs in this state of Brazil. ..
- Barbosa S, Hoshino Shimizu S, Alkmin M, Goto H. Implications of Haemophilus influenzae biogroup aegyptius hemagglutinins in the pathogenesis of Brazilian purpuric fever. J Infect Dis. 2003;188:74-80 pubmed..We suggest that this hemagglutinating factor is one of the major pathogenic components of BPF. ..
- Gil da Silva Lopes V, Guion Almeida M, de Oliveira Rodini E. Blepharocheilodontic (BCD) syndrome: expanding the phenotype?. Am J Med Genet A. 2003;121A:266-70 pubmed..The broadened phenotype and the possibility of involvement of p63 and IRF6 genes in this condition are discussed...
- Godoy P, Cano J, Gene J, Guarro J, Hofling Lima A, Lopes Colombo A. Genotyping of 44 isolates of Fusarium solani, the main agent of fungal keratitis in Brazil. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:4494-7 pubmed..By combining of the results of both techniques, we identified 40 genotypes. Molecular typing revealed a high genomic heterogeneity of the strains of F. solani studied...
- Dreyer G, Addiss D, Noroes J. Does longevity of adult Wuchereria bancrofti increase with decreasing intensity of parasite transmission? Insights from clinical observations. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2005;99:883-92 pubmed..4 per ml). In conclusion, survival of adult W. bancrofti is inversely associated with transmission intensity. These findings have implications for filariasis elimination and research. ..
- Mendes D, Lauria Pires L, Nitz N, Lozzi S, Nascimento R, Monteiro P, et al. Exposure to mixed asymptomatic infections with Trypanosoma cruzi, Leishmania braziliensis and Leishmania chagasi in the human population of the greater Amazon. Trop Med Int Health. 2007;12:629-36 pubmed..This is the first publication showing human exposure to mixed asymptomatic kinetoplastid infections in the Amazon. ..
- Menezes N, Colombo A. Lack of association between the TNF-alpha -308 (G/A) genetic polymorphism and periodontal disease in Brazilians. Braz Oral Res. 2008;22:322-7 pubmed..610, p > 0.05) and the genotypes G/G, G/A, and A/A (chi(2) = 2.547, p = 0.636) among groups. The data suggest that the TNF-alpha -308 G/A polymorphism is not associated with periodontitis in this Brazilian population. ..
- Moreira Nunes C, AlcÃ¢ntara D, Lima JÃºnior S, CavallÃ©ro S, Rey J, Pinto G, et al. Presence of c.3956delC mutation in familial adenomatous polyposis patients from Brazil. World J Gastroenterol. 2015;21:9413-9 pubmed publisher..e., a de novo mutation that arose in one member belonging to this state from Brazil). Regardless of its origin, the c.3956delC mutation is a strong candidate biomarker of this hereditary cancer syndrome in families of northern Brazil. ..
- Diniz F, Villela S, MourthÃ© M, Paulino P, Boari C, Ribeiro J, et al. Evaluation of carcass traits and meat characteristics of Guzerat-crossbred bulls. Meat Sci. 2016;112:58-62 pubmed publisher..We conclude that "Guzholstein" is an adequate option for producers willing to finish this kind of genetic group, as it is comparable or better than Bos indicus crosses and B. indicusÃ—Bos taurus bulls. ..
- Pereira G, Sabido M, Caruso A, Benzaken A. Transitioning from antenatal surveillance surveys to routine HIV testing: a turning point in the mother-to-child transmission prevention programme for HIV surveillance in Brazil. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:469 pubmed publisher..However, some regions with better results could be prioritized to pilot the use of PMTCT data for surveillance. ..
- Arruda V, Pieneman W, Reitsma P, Deutz Terlouw P, Annichino Bizzacchi J, Briet E, et al. Eleven novel mutations in the factor VIII gene from Brazilian hemophilia A patients. Blood. 1995;86:3015-20 pubmed..This study shows that the methodology used is safe and rapid and has potential for detecting almost all of the genetic defects of the studied hemophilia A patients. ..
- Iwanaga S, Ferrari S. Geographic distribution and abundance of woolly (Lagothrix cana) and spider (Ateles chamek) monkeys in southwestern Brazilian Amazonia. Am J Primatol. 2002;56:57-64 pubmed..The transitional forest that predominates in the extreme south of Rondônia (Hylea-cerrado) is not a barrier to either species, with both species being tolerant of habitat disturbance when hunting pressure is low...
- Azevedo A, Durigon E, Okasima V, Queiroz D, de Moraes Vasconcelos D, Duarte A, et al. Detection of influenza, parainfluenza, adenovirus and respiratory syncytial virus during asthma attacks in children older than 2 years old. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2003;31:311-7 pubmed..Virus could also be a triggering factor in attacks, although it is not the most preponderant in older children. ..
- Labarthe N, Serrão M, Ferreira A, Almeida N, Guerrero J. A survey of gastrointestinal helminths in cats of the metropolitan region of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Vet Parasitol. 2004;123:133-9 pubmed..2%). Twenty seven cats (22.3%) had only A. braziliense and 19 (15.7%) were parasitized only with D. caninum. Among those cats harboring mixed infections A. braziliense and D. caninum were the species more frequently found (P < 0.001). ..
- Ribeiro L, Mantovani M, Ribeiro D, Salvadori D. Brazilian natural dietary components (annatto, propolis and mushrooms) protecting against mutation and cancer. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2006;25:267-72 pubmed..Taken together, these agents indicate a favorable side-effect profile and may prove to be a promising alternative for cancer prevention strategies, although more investigation is needed to fully explore this issue...
- Carvalho F, Santos J, Elias Junior J, Kemp R, Sankarankutty A, Fukumori O, et al. The influence of treatment access regulation and technological resources on the mortality profile of acute biliary pancreatitis. Acta Cir Bras. 2008;23 Suppl 1:143-50; discussion 150 pubmed..Since the improvement in clinical and technological approach was not enough to modify the mortality profile of ABP, further studies on the treatment of inflammatory responses should be carried out. ..
- Hebling S, Cortellazzi K, Tagliaferro E, Hebling E, Ambrosano G, Meneghim M, et al. Relationship between malocclusion and behavioral, demographic and socioeconomic variables: a cross-sectional study of 5-year-olds. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2008;33:75-9 pubmed..The aim of this study was to evaluate the relationship between malocclusions, such as open bite and crossbite, and behavioral, demographic and socioeconomic variables in a sample of 5-year-old children attending preschools...
- de Medeiros A, Gouveia N, Machado R, de Souza M, Alencar G, Novaes H, et al. Traffic-related air pollution and perinatal mortality: a case-control study. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117:127-32 pubmed publisher..47; 95% confidence interval, 0.67-3.19). Associations for fetal mortality were less consistent. These results suggest that motor vehicle exhaust exposures may be a risk factor for perinatal mortality. ..
- Landell M, Inácio J, Fonseca A, Vainstein M, Valente P. Cryptococcus bromeliarum sp. nov., an orange-coloured basidiomycetous yeast isolated from bromeliads in Brazil. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:910-3 pubmed publisher..amylolyticus and C. cistialbidi included the inability of C. bromeliarum to assimilate citrate and to form starch-like compounds. Differentiation from C. tibetensis can be achieved by the ability of the latter to assimilate ethylamine...
- Balbuena T, Silveira V, Junqueira M, Dias L, Santa Catarina C, Shevchenko A, et al. Changes in the 2-DE protein profile during zygotic embryogenesis in the Brazilian Pine (Araucaria angustifolia). J Proteomics. 2009;72:337-52 pubmed..Considerations on the improvement and control of somatic embryogenesis through medium manipulation and protein markers screening using data generated are also discussed. ..
- Silva R, Almeida F, Olivo C, Saraiva Romanholo B, Martins M, Carvalho C. Exercise reverses OVA-induced inhibition of glucocorticoid receptor and increases anti-inflammatory cytokines in asthma. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2016;26:82-92 pubmed publisher..05) were reduced. AT increases the expression of GR and anti-inflammatory cytokines (IL-10 and IL-1ra) and reduces the expression of inflammatory mediators and airway inflammation in an animal model of asthma. ..
- Ambra L, Rezende F, Xavier B, Shumaker F, da Silveira Franciozi C, Luzo M. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: how do we perform it? Brazilian orthopedic surgeons' preference. Int Orthop. 2016;40:595-600 pubmed publisher..Surgeons' preferences for ACL reconstruction are variable, and are influenced by learning time and availability of tools rather than research evidence. ..
- PeÅ¡iÄ‡ V, Piccoli G, AraÃºjo M, Rezende J, GonÃ§alves A. A new species of Xystonotus Wolcott, 1900 (Acari, Hydrachnidia, Mideopsidae) from bromeliad phytotelmata in Brazilian Atlantic rainforest. Zootaxa. 2015;3981:147-50 pubmed publisher..andrewfieldi Orghidan & Gruia, 1983 and A. caquetiorum Rosso de FerradÃ¡s & FernÃ¡ndez, 2001. ..
- Ardisson AraÃºjo D, Pereira B, Melo F, Ribeiro B, BÃ¡o S, de A Zanotto P, et al. A betabaculovirus encoding a gp64 homolog. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:94 pubmed publisher..It is closely related to the CpGV-related group and presents the smallest genome in size so far. Remarkably, we found a homolog of gp64, which was reported solely in group 1 alphabaculovirus genomes so far. ..
- de Lima M, Da Silva D, Freund A, Dacoregio J, Costa T, Costa I, et al. Acute Myeloid Leukemia: analysis of epidemiological profile and survival rate. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2016;92:283-9 pubmed publisher..Most patients with WBC count <10,000/mm(3) at diagnosis lived. Overall survival was higher in patients with MRD <0.1%. The prognosis was better in patients with AML-M3. ..
- Montalva C, Collier K, Luz C, Humber R. Pandora bullata (Entomophthoromycota: Entomophthorales) affecting calliphorid flies in central Brazil. Acta Trop. 2016;158:177-180 pubmed publisher..Epizootic events affecting calliphorids in Brazil strengthen the interest in entomophthoran pathogens for biological control of flies. ..
- de Oliveira A, El Bacha I, Vianna M, Parise E. Utility and limitations of APRI and FIB4 to predict staging in a cohort of nonselected outpatients with hepatitis C. Ann Hepatol. 2016;15:326-32 pubmed publisher..Despite relatively good accuracy, a significant number of patients could not be assessed by these methods. ..
- Carod Artal F, Herrero M, Lara M, Lopez Gallardo E, Ruiz Pesini E, Marti R, et al. Cognitive dysfunction and hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism in a Brazilian patient with mitochondrial neurogastrointestinal encephalomyopathy and a novel ECGF1 mutation. Eur J Neurol. 2007;14:581-5 pubmed..Multiple deletions and the T5814C change were found in mitochondrial DNA. Together with gastrointestinal symptoms, endocrine involvement and memory dysfunction, not reported in MNGIE to date, were the most preeminent features. ..
- Granville Garcia A, de Menezes V, de Lira P. Dental trauma and associated factors in Brazilian preschoolers. Dent Traumatol. 2006;22:318-22 pubmed..001). The high prevalence of dental trauma in preschoolers and its possible harm for permanent dentition, suggest that public health policies need to be implemented with a view to its prevention. ..
- Rodrigues A, Souza C, Braga A, Rodrigues P, Silveira A, Damin E, et al. Mercury toxicity in the Amazon: contrast sensitivity and color discrimination of subjects exposed to mercury. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2007;40:415-24 pubmed..They also suggest that some spatial tests such as the measurement of red-green chromatic contrast are sufficiently sensitive to detect visual dysfunction caused by mercury toxicity. ..
- Nunes C, Amorim F, Mayer J, Sazima M. Pollination ecology of two species of Elleanthus (Orchidaceae): novel mechanisms and underlying adaptations to hummingbird pollination. Plant Biol (Stuttg). 2016;18:15-25 pubmed publisher..The novelties described here illustrate the overlooked richness in ecology and morphophysiology in Orchidaceae. ..
- Durães Sette L, Mendonça Alves Da Costa L, Marsaioli A, Manfio G. Biodegradation of alachlor by soil streptomycetes. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2004;64:712-7 pubmed..Given the high degradation rates observed here, the Streptomyces strains tested may be useful in the degradation/detoxification processes of alachlor...
- Guerra A, Acurcio F, Gomes C, Miralles M, Girardi S, Werneck G, et al. [Availability of essential drugs in two regions of Minas Gerais, Brazil]. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2004;15:168-75 pubmed..Private pharmacies are the main source of essential drugs. The results of this study point to the need to seek increased awareness and implementation of the concept of essential drugs throughout the country. ..
- Zaccariotto T, Rosim E, Melo D, Garcia P, Munhoz R, Aoki F, et al. Haptoglobin polymorphism in a HIV-1 seropositive Brazilian population. J Clin Pathol. 2006;59:550-3 pubmed..Apart from finding lower Hp concentrations among individuals with genotype Hp2-2, no other significant difference was observed. No association was found between Hp genotype and either HIV status or indices of HIV progression. ..
- Brito E, Guyoneaud R, Goñi Urriza M, Ranchou Peyruse A, Verbaere A, Crapez M, et al. Characterization of hydrocarbonoclastic bacterial communities from mangrove sediments in Guanabara Bay, Brazil. Res Microbiol. 2006;157:752-62 pubmed..Our results point out the rich microbial diversity of the mangroves, whose potential for hydrocarbon degradation is promising for future studies on pollutant bioremediation...
- Lana F, Amaral E, Lanza F, Saldanha A. Physical disabilities resulting from Hansen's disease in Vale do Jequitinhonha/state of Minas Gerais, Brazil. Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2008;16:993-7 pubmed..001). A hidden prevalence of 433 cases was estimated in the period 2002-2006. The results show that the diagnosis of Hansen's disease in the region is late, revealing the need to intensify prevention and control. ..
- Zocoli A, Morata T, Marques J, Corteletti L. Brazilian young adults and noise: attitudes, habits, and audiological characteristics. Int J Audiol. 2009;48:692-9 pubmed..Gender, age, country, and/or region are variables that will influence exposure to noise or music and possibly hearing outcomes. ..
- Moraes T, Barros C, Silva Neto S, Gomes V, DA Cunha M. Leaf blade anatomy and ultrastructure of six Simira species (Rubiaceae) from the Atlantic rain forest, Brazil. Biocell. 2009;33:155-65 pubmed..This study also demonstrates some leaf blade characteristics that can be used to Simira species identification (leaf surface, domatia types, epicuticular wax types and patterns of epidermis anticlinal cell walls)...
- Ribeiro S, Symon A, Lessa P, de Oliveira M, Aquino P, de Almeida P, et al. Translation and cultural adaptation of the Mother-Generated Index into Brazilian Portuguese: A postnatal quality of life study. Midwifery. 2015;31:735-41 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the Mother-Generated Index can provide healthcare professionals the opportunity to become aware of all significant aspects of a woman's life after childbirth. ..
- Costa S, Matos K, Tessmann D, Seixas C, Pfenning L. Fusarium paranaense sp. nov., a member of the Fusarium solani species complex causes root rot on soybean in Brazil. Fungal Biol. 2016;120:51-60 pubmed publisher..All isolates were heterothallic and belonged to a distinct mating population. Fusarium tucumaniae, a known SDS pathogen, was found in the subtropical southern region of the country. ..
- Nunes K, Andrade M, Santos Filho A, Lasmar M, Sena M. Detection and characterisation of frauds in bovine meat in natura by non-meat ingredient additions using data fusion of chemical parameters and ATR-FTIR spectroscopy. Food Chem. 2016;205:14-22 pubmed publisher..Finally, some of the selected infrared bands were specifically associated to the presence of adulterants NaCl, tripolyphosphate and carrageenan. ..
- da Silveira G, Faccin H, Claussen L, Goularte R, do Nascimento P, Bohrer D, et al. A liquid chromatography-atmospheric pressure photoionization tandem mass spectrometric method for the determination of organosulfur compounds in petroleum asphalt cements. J Chromatogr A. 2016;1457:29-40 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the method allowed the characterization of organosulfur compounds in Brazilian asphalt cements and demonstrated changes in the amount quantified in asphaltenic and maltenic fractions after the RTFOT+SUNTEST aging process. ..
- Cunha R, Maruza M, Montarroyos U, Coimbra I, de B Miranda Filho D, Albuquerque M, et al. Survival of people living with HIV who defaulted from tuberculosis treatment in a cohort, Recife, Brazil. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:137 pubmed publisher..33 to 3.89); alcohol light 0.13 HR (95% CI 0.03 to 0.56). The probability of death in people living with HIV who default TB treatment is approximately four times greater when compared to those who do not default from treatment. ..
- Correa C, Tibana A, Gontijo Filho P. Vegetables as a source of infection with Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a University and Oncology Hospital of Rio de Janeiro. J Hosp Infect. 1991;18:301-6 pubmed..Our results strongly suggest that vegetables represent a source of endemic infection with P. aeruginosa for hospitalized patients. ..
- Ferraz do Lago R, Simoes J, Bahamondes L, Camargo R, Perrotti M, Monteiro I. Follow-up of users of intrauterine device with and without bacterial vaginosis and other cervicovaginal infections. Contraception. 2003;68:105-9 pubmed..03). A trend of abnormal bleeding being more frequent among women with BV was also found. In conclusion, BV after 1 month of IUD insertion was not associated with IUD complications, with the exception of dysmenorrhea. ..
- Nigam P, Dellalibera E, Mauricio da Silva L, Donadi E, Silva R. Polymorphism of HLA class I genes in the Brazilian population from the Northeastern State of Pernambuco corroborates anthropological evidence of its origin. Tissue Antigens. 2004;64:204-9 pubmed..Taken together, these data corroborate the historic anthropological evidences of the origin of the Northeastern Brazilian population from Pernambuco. ..
- Lilenbaum W, Monteiro R, Albuquerque C, Ristow P, Fraguas S, Cardoso V, et al. Leptospiral antibodies in wild felines from Rio de Janeiro Zoo, Brazil. Vet J. 2004;168:191-3 pubmed
- de Lima Barros M, Schubach A, Francesconi do Valle A, Gutierrez Galhardo M, Schubach T, Conceição Silva F, et al. Positive Montenegro skin test among patients with sporotrichosis in Rio De Janeiro. Acta Trop. 2005;93:41-7 pubmed
- Nascimento A, Santana E, Braz A, Alfenas P, Pio Ribeiro G, Andrade G, et al. Cowpea aphid-borne mosaic virus (CABMV) is widespread in passionfruit in Brazil and causes passionfruit woodiness disease. Arch Virol. 2006;151:1797-809 pubmed..Together, these results provide unequivocal evidence that, in Brazil, passionfruit woodiness disease is primarily caused by CABMV. The presence of PWV in Brazil has yet to be confirmed. ..
- Oliveira D, Pereira A, Figueiredo H, Carvalho D, Silva G, Nunes A, et al. Antibacterial activity of plant extracts from Brazilian southeast region. Fitoterapia. 2007;78:142-5 pubmed..It was observed that 13 of the tested extracts showed antibacterial activity. The best results were obtained with those from Lantana lilacina and Phyllanthus tenellus...
- Santos R, Landeira Fernandez J, Strassman R, Motta V, Cruz A. Effects of ayahuasca on psychometric measures of anxiety, panic-like and hopelessness in Santo Daime members. J Ethnopharmacol. 2007;112:507-13 pubmed..Ayahuasca ingestion did not modify state- or trait-anxiety. The results are discussed in terms of the possible use of ayahuasca in alleviating signs of hopelessness and panic-like related symptoms...
- Buys S. Comparative study of the nesting behaviour of Tachysphex inconspicuus (Kirby) (Hymenoptera: Crabronidae) in two locations in southeast Brazil. Neotrop Entomol. 2007;36:327-30 pubmed..excelsa Albuquerque & Silva, and unidentified species of Riatia (Blattodea: Blatellidae) were found as prey and Amobia floridensis (Towsend) (Diptera: Sarcophagidae) as parasitoid of T. insconspicuus. ..
- Bittencourt A, da Graças Vieira M, Brites C, Farre L, Barbosa H. Adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma in Bahia, Brazil: analysis of prognostic factors in a group of 70 patients. Am J Clin Pathol. 2007;128:875-82 pubmed..The MST of the PCT type (21 months) was shorter than that of the smoldering type, confirming the importance of clearly defining these 2 types of ATL. ..
- Alves P, Mazucheli J, Vogel C, Bolognese A. A protocol for cranial base reference in cephalometric studies. J Craniofac Surg. 2008;19:211-5 pubmed publisher..Variation of the intraindividual data allowed the conclusion that the protocol proposed by utilization of an individual template of the cranial base reference was effective for the exactness of measurements in cephalometric studies. ..
- Guida J, Bignotto Rosane D, Urbini Santos C, Alves Filho G, Ribeiro Resende M, Mazzali M. Tuberculosis in renal transplant recipients: a Brazilian center registry. Transplant Proc. 2009;41:883-4 pubmed publisher..TB incidence was significantly greater among renal transplant recipients compared with the local population, with a higher incidence of extrapulmonary disease. TB prophylaxis in selected cases was effective, avoiding new infections. ..
- Paiva de Castro A, Rebelatto J, Aurichio T. The relationship between foot pain, anthropometric variables and footwear among older people. Appl Ergon. 2010;41:93-7 pubmed publisher..The men with pain did not present different measurements from those without pain. ..
- Costa E, Mauro R, Silva J. Group composition and activity patterns of brown-nosed coatis in savanna fragments, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil. Braz J Biol. 2009;69:985-91 pubmed..And our observations regarding male-band associations, agonistic interactions between bands and their daily behaviour emphasize the plasticity of coati social structure, and its potential for future comparative studies...
- Pacheco R, Santos Silva D, Gordia A, de Quadros T, Petroski E. Sociodemographic determinants of university students' lifestyles. Rev Salud Publica (Bogota). 2014;16:382-93 pubmed..These findings may be useful for developing university healthcare promotion programs, paying special attention to older freshmen whose mothers have had less formal education. ..
- Ceccatto A, Testoni M, IgnÃ¡cio A, Santos Filho M, Malm O, DÃez S. Mercury distribution in organs of fish species and the associated risk in traditional subsistence villagers of the Pantanal wetland. Environ Geochem Health. 2016;38:713-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is necessary to consider regulatory measures and public education regarding fish consumption, particularly in vulnerable groups (i.e. children, pregnant women and women of childbearing age). ..
- Mendes R, Pizzirani Kleiner A, Araujo W, Raaijmakers J. Diversity of cultivated endophytic bacteria from sugarcane: genetic and biochemical characterization of Burkholderia cepacia complex isolates. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:7259-67 pubmed..cepacia complex are an integral part of the endophytic bacterial community of sugarcane in Brazil and reinforce the hypothesis that plant-associated environments may act as a niche for putative opportunistic human pathogenic bacteria...
- Aguiar F, Melo S, Galvão L, Rosa e Silva J, dos Reis R, Ferriani R. Serological testing for celiac disease in women with endometriosis. A pilot study. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2009;36:23-5 pubmed..66%). This is the first study reporting the prevalence of CD among women with endometriosis, showing that CD is common in this population group (2.5%) and may be clinically relevant. ..
- Braga F, Araújo J, Silva A, Araujo J, Carvalho R, Tavela A, et al. Biological control of horse cyathostomin (Nematoda: Cyathostominae) using the nematophagous fungus Duddingtonia flagrans in tropical southeastern Brazil. Vet Parasitol. 2009;163:335-40 pubmed publisher..flagrans reduced cyathostomin in tropical southeastern Brazil and could be an effective tool for biological control of this parasitic nematode in horses...
- Barros M, Zanchetta L, Moura E, Malta D. Self-rated health and associated factors, Brazil, 2006. Rev Saude Publica. 2009;43 Suppl 2:27-37 pubmed..In addition, its association with unhealthy behavior and comorbidities emphasize the need for strategies to promote healthy habits and those to control chronic diseases. ..
- Bernardi J, Jordão R, Barros Filho A. [Supplementary feeding of infants in a developed city within the context of a developing country]. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2009;26:405-11 pubmed..The median duration of exclusive breastfeeding was far from that recommended due to the offer of supplementary fluids. Supplementary foods were introduced precociously, especially sweets. ..
- Leitão M, Vilela M, Rutz R, Grumach A, Condino Neto A, Kirschfink M. Complement factor I deficiency in a family with recurrent infections. Immunopharmacology. 1997;38:207-13 pubmed..3 of these obviously heterozygously deficient family members suffered from recurrent bacterial infections of different frequency and severity. ..
- da Silva C. Rheumatic fever: a multicenter study in the state of São Paulo. Pediatric Committee--São Paulo Pediatric Rheumatology Society. Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo. 1999;54:85-90 pubmed..Multicenter studies should be encouraged to improve our understanding of the clinical features of rheumatic diseases in children and adolescents. ..
- Paule B, Azevedo V, Regis L, Carminati R, Bahia C, Vale V, et al. Experimental Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis primary infection in goats: kinetics of IgG and interferon-gamma production, IgG avidity and antigen recognition by Western blotting. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2003;96:129-39 pubmed..Both humoral and cellular responses kinetics presented a similar pattern of activation/deactivation but necropsy results suggested that the IFN-gamma test would be a very specific marker of CLA status...