Experts and Doctors on biomass in United Kingdom
Locale: United Kingdom
- Huang X, Rein G. Thermochemical conversion of biomass in smouldering combustion across scales: The roles of heterogeneous kinetics, oxygen and transport phenomena. Bioresour Technol. 2016;207:409-21 pubmed publisher..This is the first time that the influence of oxygen on biomass smouldering is explained in terms of both chemistry and transport phenomena across scales. ..
- Zubkov M, Fuchs B, Burkill P, Amann R. Comparison of cellular and biomass specific activities of dominant bacterioplankton groups in stratified waters of the Celtic Sea. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2001;67:5210-8 pubmed..The metabolic activities of the three groups accounted for almost the total bacterioplankton activity, indicating their key biogeochemical role in the planktonic ecosystem of the Celtic Sea. ..
- Montagnes D, Allen J, Brown L, Bulit C, Davidson R, Díaz Avalos C, et al. Factors controlling the abundance and size distribution of the phototrophic ciliate Myrionecta rubra in open waters of the North Atlantic. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2008;55:457-65 pubmed..Finally, we propose a hypothesis for the distribution of sizes, involving nutrients, feeding, and dividing of the endosymbiont. ..
- Metris A, George S, Mackey B, Baranyi J. Modeling the variability of single-cell lag times for Listeria innocua populations after sublethal and lethal heat treatments. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:6949-55 pubmed publisher..Another implication of these results is that the distribution of the time for cells to reach unacceptable numbers in food is not affected by the time-temperature combination resulting in a given decimal reduction. ..
- Githaiga M, Kairo J, Gilpin L, Huxham M. Carbon storage in the seagrass meadows of Gazi Bay, Kenya. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177001 pubmed publisher..5-7.3 Mg C ha-1. To our knowledge, these are among the first results on seagrass sediment Corg to be reported from African seagrass beds; and contribute towards our understanding of the role of seagrass in global carbon dynamics. ..
- Mafu L, Neomagus H, Everson R, Strydom C, Carrier M, Okolo G, et al. Chemical and structural characterization of char development during lignocellulosic biomass pyrolysis. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:941-948 pubmed publisher..The char development can be considered to occur in two steps: elimination of aliphatic compounds at low temperatures, and hydrogen abstraction and aromatic ring condensation at high temperatures. ..
- Green D, Shenoy D, Hart M, Hatton A. Coupling of dimethylsulfide oxidation to biomass production by a marine flavobacterium. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:3137-40 pubmed publisher..Laboratory growth of Bacteroidetes with DMS resulted in its oxidation to dimethyl sulfoxide but only in the presence of glucose. We hypothesized that electrons liberated from sulfur oxidation were used to augment biomass production. ..
- Kern M, McGeehan J, Streeter S, Martin R, Besser K, Elias L, et al. Structural characterization of a unique marine animal family 7 cellobiohydrolase suggests a mechanism of cellulase salt tolerance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:10189-94 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study suggests that marine cellulases offer significant potential for utilization in high-solids industrial biomass conversion processes. ..
- Davies T, Jenkins S, Kingham R, Kenworthy J, Hawkins S, Hiddink J. Dominance, biomass and extinction resistance determine the consequences of biodiversity loss for multiple coastal ecosystem processes. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28362 pubmed publisher..These worst and best case scenarios could be used to predict the minimum and maximum species required to sustain threshold values of ecosystem processes in the future...
- Lye G, Jennings S, Osborne J, Goulson D. Impacts of the use of nonnative commercial bumble bees for pollinator supplementation in raspberry. J Econ Entomol. 2011;104:107-14 pubmed..Given potential environmental risks associated with the importation of nonnative bumble bees, the development of alternative solutions to the pollination deficit in raspberry crops in the United Kingdom may be beneficial. ..
- Mortimer J, Miles G, Brown D, Zhang Z, Segura M, Weimar T, et al. Absence of branches from xylan in Arabidopsis gux mutants reveals potential for simplification of lignocellulosic biomass. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17409-14 pubmed publisher..The results also demonstrate the potential for manipulating and simplifying the structure of xylan to improve the properties of lignocellulose for bioenergy and other uses. ..
- Adams J, Ross A, Anastasakis K, Hodgson E, Gallagher J, Jones J, et al. Seasonal variation in the chemical composition of the bioenergy feedstock Laminaria digitata for thermochemical conversion. Bioresour Technol. 2011;102:226-34 pubmed publisher..July was therefore considered the most suitable month for harvesting kelp biomass for thermochemical conversion to biofuels...
- Milcu A, Partsch S, Scherber C, Weisser W, Scheu S. Earthworms and legumes control litter decomposition in a plant diversity gradient. Ecology. 2008;89:1872-82 pubmed..and legumes function as keystone organisms for grassland decomposition processes and presumably contribute to the recorded increase in primary productivity with increasing plant diversity...
- Mabbett A, Sanyahumbi D, Yong P, Macaskie L. Biorecovered precious metals from industrial wastes: single-step conversion of a mixed metal liquid waste to a bioinorganic catalyst with environmental application. Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:1015-21 pubmed..The biomaterial composition was comparable in both cases, and the catalytic activity was related inversely to the amount of chloride in the waste leachate from which it was derived. ..
- Hartmann M, Grob C, Tarran G, Martin A, Burkill P, Scanlan D, et al. Mixotrophic basis of Atlantic oligotrophic ecosystems. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:5756-60 pubmed publisher..These findings change our basic understanding of food web function in the open ocean, because plastidic protists should now be considered as the main bacterivores as well as the main CO(2) fixers in the oligotrophic gyres. ..
- Lloyd J, Thomas G, Finlay J, Cole J, Macaskie L. Microbial reduction of technetium by Escherichia coli and Desulfovibrio desulfuricans: enhancement via the use of high-activity strains and effect of process parameters. Biotechnol Bioeng. 1999;66:122-30 pubmed..3 h for the wild-type E. coli, 4.25 h for the upregulated mutant, and 1.5 h for D. desulfuricans. ..
- Wagner J, Bransgrove R, Beacham T, Allen M, Meixner K, Drosg B, et al. Co-production of bio-oil and propylene through the hydrothermal liquefaction of polyhydroxybutyrate producing cyanobacteria. Bioresour Technol. 2016;207:166-74 pubmed publisher..PHB producing microorganisms could therefore be used as a feedstock for a biorefinery to produce polypropylene and advanced biofuels, with the level of propylene being proportional to the accumulated amount of PHB. ..
- Maxfield P, Hornibrook E, Evershed R. Estimating high-affinity methanotrophic bacterial biomass, growth, and turnover in soil by phospholipid fatty acid 13C labeling. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006;72:3901-7 pubmed
- Ravindran R, Sarangapani C, Jaiswal S, Cullen P, Jaiswal A. Ferric chloride assisted plasma pretreatment of lignocellulose. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:327-334 pubmed publisher..The hydrolysate was subjected to fermentation by S. cerevisiae and led to the production of 18.642g/l of ethanol with a fermentation efficiency of 74%, which was a two fold increase in yield compared to the control. ..
- Barley R, Hutton C, Brown M, Cusworth J, Hamilton T. Trends in biomass and metal sequestration associated with reeds and algae at Wheal Jane Biorem pilot passive treatment plant. Sci Total Environ. 2005;345:279-86 pubmed..The lime-dosed system rock filter showed the highest Fe removal rate but the lowest Mn removal rate. Some possible mechanisms are discussed in the paper, but further investigation would be required to test these hypotheses...
- Hallmann C, Sorg M, Jongejans E, Siepel H, Hofland N, Schwan H, et al. More than 75 percent decline over 27 years in total flying insect biomass in protected areas. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185809 pubmed publisher..This yet unrecognized loss of insect biomass must be taken into account in evaluating declines in abundance of species depending on insects as a food source, and ecosystem functioning in the European landscape...