Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on biological models in Germany
Topic: biological models
Publications309 found, 100 shown here
- Albani M, Coupland G. Comparative analysis of flowering in annual and perennial plants. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2010;91:323-48 pubmed publisher..Here we review the events that occur in the meristem of A. thaliana during the floral transition and compare these with our understanding of flowering in perennial systems. ..
- Wissenbach U, Niemeyer B, Fixemer T, Schneidewind A, Trost C, Cavalie A, et al. Expression of CaT-like, a novel calcium-selective channel, correlates with the malignancy of prostate cancer. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:19461-8 pubmed..The human CaT-L channel represents a marker for prostate cancer progression and may serve as a target for therapeutic strategies. ..
- Helfert S, Estevez A, Bakker B, Michels P, Clayton C. Roles of triosephosphate isomerase and aerobic metabolism in Trypanosoma brucei. Biochem J. 2001;357:117-25 pubmed
- Hausberg M, Morgan D, Mitchell J, Sivitz W, Mark A, Haynes W. Leptin potentiates thermogenic sympathetic responses to hypothermia: a receptor-mediated effect. Diabetes. 2002;51:2434-40 pubmed..The effect depends on intact and functional leptin receptors because it occurs neither in rats with a leptin receptor defect nor in rats with acquired leptin resistance. ..
- Kreuter J, Ramge P, Petrov V, Hamm S, Gelperina S, Engelhardt B, et al. Direct evidence that polysorbate-80-coated poly(butylcyanoacrylate) nanoparticles deliver drugs to the CNS via specific mechanisms requiring prior binding of drug to the nanoparticles. Pharm Res. 2003;20:409-16 pubmed
- McHardy A, Tauch A, R ckert C, P hler A, Kalinowski J. Genome-based analysis of biosynthetic aminotransferase genes of Corynebacterium glutamicum. J Biotechnol. 2003;104:229-40 pubmed..The theoretical and experimental data we present should further provide a solid platform for ongoing research and understanding of the network of aminotransferases which participate in amino acid biosynthesis in C. glutamicum...
- Schmidt D, Kessler A, Kessler D, Schmidt S, Lim M, Gase K, et al. Solanum nigrum: a model ecological expression system and its tools. Mol Ecol. 2004;13:981-95 pubmed..Hence, proteinase inhibitors and jasmonate-signalling are targets for manipulative studies...
- Ludwar B, Göritz M, Schmidt J. Intersegmental coordination of walking movements in stick insects. J Neurophysiol. 2005;93:1255-65 pubmed
- Pöge U, Gerhardt T, Palmedo H, Klehr H, Sauerbruch T, Woitas R. MDRD equations for estimation of GFR in renal transplant recipients. Am J Transplant. 2005;5:1306-11 pubmed..5% for MDRD6. MDRD equations perform significantly better than the commonly used C&G formula. Moreover, the MDRD6 equation provides the best diagnostic performance, and should therefore be preferred in renal transplant recipients. ..
- Junghans M, Backhaus T, Faust M, Scholze M, Grimme L. Application and validation of approaches for the predictive hazard assessment of realistic pesticide mixtures. Aquat Toxicol. 2006;76:93-110 pubmed
- Jager M, Krauspe R. Antigen expression of cord blood derived stem cells under osteogenic stimulation in vitro. Cell Biol Int. 2007;31:950-7 pubmed..Future investigations should show the role of cytomechanical forces in the differentiation of cord blood derived progenitor cells and also if a cell-loaded collagen I/III scaffold is appropriate to stimulate bone regeneration in vivo. ..
- Seitz T, Bocola M, Claren J, Sterner R. Stabilisation of a (betaalpha)8-barrel protein designed from identical half barrels. J Mol Biol. 2007;372:114-29 pubmed..Our results show that, starting from two identical and fused half barrels, few amino acid exchanges are sufficient to generate a highly stable and compact (betaalpha)(8)-barrel protein with wild-type like structural properties. ..
- Werner K, Richter C, Klein Seetharaman J, Schwalbe H. Isotope labeling of mammalian GPCRs in HEK293 cells and characterization of the C-terminus of bovine rhodopsin by high resolution liquid NMR spectroscopy. J Biomol NMR. 2008;40:49-53 pubmed..This resulted in the assignment and detailed study of the dynamic properties of the C-terminus of rhodopsin. The rhodopsin C-terminus is immobilized until Ala333, after which it becomes unstructured. ..
- Hartmann M, Skryabin B, Muller T, Gazinski A, Schröter J, Gassner B, et al. Alternative splicing of the guanylyl cyclase-A receptor modulates atrial natriuretic peptide signaling. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:28313-20 pubmed publisher..We conclude that alternative splicing can regulate endogenous ANP/GC-A signaling. Angiotensin II-induced alternative splicing of GC-A may represent a novel mechanism for reducing the sensitivity to ANP. ..
- Los M, Panigrahi S, Rashedi I, Mandal S, Stetefeld J, Essmann F, et al. Apoptin, a tumor-selective killer. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1793:1335-42 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize recent discoveries of apoptin's mechanism of action that might provide intriguing insights for the development of novel tumor-selective anticancer drugs...
- Panfilio K. Late extraembryonic morphogenesis and its zen(RNAi)-induced failure in the milkweed bug Oncopeltus fasciatus. Dev Biol. 2009;333:297-311 pubmed publisher..Overall, Oncopeltus zen seems to have a role in coordinating a number of pre-katatreptic events during mid embryogenesis. ..
- Nowicki M, Kosacka J, Spanel Borowski K, Borlak J. Deferoxamine-induced neurite outgrowth and synapse formation in postnatal rat dorsal root ganglion (DRG) cell cultures. Eur J Cell Biol. 2009;88:551-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings help to better understand the therapeutic benefit of DFO in the treatment of spinal cord injury. ..
- Zieker D, Königsrainer I, Tritschler I, Loffler M, Beckert S, Traub F, et al. Phosphoglycerate kinase 1 a promoting enzyme for peritoneal dissemination in gastric cancer. Int J Cancer. 2010;126:1513-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, PGK1 may serve as prognostic marker and/or be a potential therapeutic target to prevent dissemination of gastric carcinoma cells into the peritoneum. ..
- Rimmele M, Boos W. Trehalose-6-phosphate hydrolase of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:5654-64 pubmed..This report corrects our previous view on the function of the treC gene product as an amylotrehalase, which was based on the analysis of the metabolic products of trehalose metabolism in whole cells. ..
- Machein M, Plate K. VEGF in brain tumors. J Neurooncol. 2000;50:109-20 pubmed..Finally, anti-angiogenesis approaches to target VEGF/VEGF receptors are discussed. ..
- Matyash M, Matyash V, Nolte C, Sorrentino V, Kettenmann H. Requirement of functional ryanodine receptor type 3 for astrocyte migration. FASEB J. 2002;16:84-6 pubmed..These results indicate that astrocytes express only RyR type 3 and that this receptor is important for controlling astrocyte motility. ..
- Rehling P, Model K, Brandner K, Kovermann P, Sickmann A, Meyer H, et al. Protein insertion into the mitochondrial inner membrane by a twin-pore translocase. Science. 2003;299:1747-51 pubmed..Thus, protein insertion was driven by the coordinated action of a twin-pore complex in two voltage-dependent steps. ..
- Pflüger H, Duch C, Heidel E. Neuromodulatory octopaminergic neurons and their functions during insect motor behaviour. The Ernst Florey memory lecture. Acta Biol Hung. 2004;55:3-12 pubmed..In flight muscles that use carbohydrate catabolism only at take-off but have to switch to lipid oxidation during prolonged flight, these neurons are only active at rest but are inhibited as soon as flight motor patterns are selected. ..
- Leichtle A, Rauch U, Albinus M, Benöhr P, Kalbacher H, Mack A, et al. Electrophysiological and molecular characterization of the inward rectifier in juxtaglomerular cells from rat kidney. J Physiol. 2004;560:365-76 pubmed..1 and Kir2.2 was detected. Collectively, the results show that Kir2.1 is the dominant component of the channel. The current carried by these channels plays a decisive role in setting the membrane potential of juxtaglomerular cells. ..
- Taylor W, Ehrig R, Duda G, Schell H, Seebeck P, Heller M. On the influence of soft tissue coverage in the determination of bone kinematics using skin markers. J Orthop Res. 2005;23:726-34 pubmed..Current techniques are therefore limited in their ability to determine the kinematics of underlying bones based on skin markers, particularly in segments with more pronounced soft tissue coverage. ..
- Merkler D, Horvath E, Bruck W, Zinkernagel R, Del la Torre J, Pinschewer D. "Viral déjà vu" elicits organ-specific immune disease independent of reactivity to self. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1254-63 pubmed..Thus the concept of "viral déjà vu" demonstrates how 2 related but independently encountered viral infections can cause organ-specific immune disease without molecular mimicry of self and without breaking self tolerance. ..
- Bredemeier R, Schlegel T, Ertel F, Vojta A, Borissenko L, Bohnsack M, et al. Functional and phylogenetic properties of the pore-forming beta-barrel transporters of the Omp85 family. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:1882-90 pubmed..Based on functional and phylogenetic analysis, we suggest an evolutionary scenario that explains the origin of the contemporary translocon. ..
- Danckwardt S, Kaufmann I, Gentzel M, Foerstner K, Gantzert A, Gehring N, et al. Splicing factors stimulate polyadenylation via USEs at non-canonical 3' end formation signals. EMBO J. 2007;26:2658-69 pubmed..These data uncover a novel mechanism that functionally links the splicing and 3' end formation machineries of multiple cellular mRNAs in an USE-dependent manner. ..
- Rapedius M, Fowler P, Shang L, Sansom M, Tucker S, Baukrowitz T. H bonding at the helix-bundle crossing controls gating in Kir potassium channels. Neuron. 2007;55:602-14 pubmed
- Weiss H. SpineCor vs. natural history - explanation of the results obtained using a simple biomechanical model. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;140:133-6 pubmed..Therefore SpineCor does not seem to be indicated as a treatment during pubertal growth spurt. ..
- Schuenemann V, Kralik S, Albrecht R, Spall S, Truscott K, Dougan D, et al. Structural basis of N-end rule substrate recognition in Escherichia coli by the ClpAP adaptor protein ClpS. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:508-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that ClpS has been optimized for the binding and delivery of N-degrons containing an N-terminal Phe or Leu. ..
- Fritz G, Koller C, Burdack K, Tetsch L, Haneburger I, Jung K, et al. Induction kinetics of a conditional pH stress response system in Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 2009;393:272-86 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the analysis puts causal constraints on the precise mechanism of signal transduction via the regulatory protein CadC. ..
- Strieker M, Tanovic A, Marahiel M. Nonribosomal peptide synthetases: structures and dynamics. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2010;20:234-40 pubmed publisher..Recent advances in structural elucidation of domains, didomains, and an entire termination module revealed valuable insights into the mechanism of nonribosomal synthesis and are highlighted herein. ..
- Zankl M, Petoussi Henss N, Janzen T, Uusijärvi H, Schlattl H, Li W, et al. New calculations for internal dosimetry of beta-emitting radiopharmaceuticals. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2010;139:245-9 pubmed publisher..Only for irradiation of the urinary bladder wall by activity in the contents, the ICRP 30 approach presents an overestimation of approximately 40-50%. ..
- Dobel C, Hauk O, Zobel E, Eulitz C, Pulvermuller F, Cohen R, et al. Monitoring brain activity of human subjects during delayed matching to sample tasks comparing verbal and pictorial stimuli with modal and cross-modal presentation: an event related potential study employing a source reconstruction method. Neurosci Lett. 1998;253:179-82 pubmed..Anticipation of the to-be-matched stimulus produced more pronounced activity for pictorial stimuli and generally stronger left and frontal activity. Results are discussed referring to a biological model of language processing. ..
- Gouzoulis Mayfrank E, Heekeren K, Neukirch A, Stoll M, Stock C, Daumann J, et al. Inhibition of return in the human 5HT2A agonist and NMDA antagonist model of psychosis. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006;31:431-41 pubmed..Blunted IOR may underlie or predispose to different psychotic manifestations, but particularly to those with prominent positive symptoms...
- Seidel M, Alderwick L, Sahm H, Besra G, Eggeling L. Topology and mutational analysis of the single Emb arabinofuranosyltransferase of Corynebacterium glutamicum as a model of Emb proteins of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Glycobiology. 2007;17:210-9 pubmed..Taken together, the data clearly define important residues of Emb involved in arabinan domain formation and, for the first time, shed new light on the topology of this important enzyme. ..
- Shanmugavadivu B, Apell H, Meins T, Zeth K, Kleinschmidt J. Correct folding of the beta-barrel of the human membrane protein VDAC requires a lipid bilayer. J Mol Biol. 2007;368:66-78 pubmed
- Rae R, Verdun C, Grewal P, Robertson J, Wilson M. Biological control of terrestrial molluscs using Phasmarhabditis hermaphrodita--progress and prospects. Pest Manag Sci. 2007;63:1153-64 pubmed..The many critical gaps in present knowledge are highlighted, and future research is proposed that will lead to greater understanding of this unusual parasite and may enable its more widespread use in the management of mollusc pests. ..
- Paraskeva E, Izaurralde E, Bischoff F, Huber J, Kutay U, Hartmann E, et al. CRM1-mediated recycling of snurportin 1 to the cytoplasm. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:255-64 pubmed..This mechanism appears crucial for productive import cycles as it can ensure that CRM1 only exports snurportin 1 that has already released its import substrate in the nucleus. ..
- Klocke R, Bartels T, Jennings G, Brand K, Halter R, Strauss M, et al. Lack of p53 accelerates hepatocarcinogenesis in transgenic mice constitutively overexpressing c-myc in the liver. FASEB J. 2001;15:1404-6 pubmed
- Gerisch B, Weitzel C, Kober Eisermann C, Rottiers V, Antebi A. A hormonal signaling pathway influencing C. elegans metabolism, reproductive development, and life span. Dev Cell. 2001;1:841-51 pubmed..Sensory neurons, hypodermis, and somatic gonadal cells expressing daf-9 identify potential endocrine tissues. Evidently, lipophilic hormones influence nematode metabolism, diapause, and life span. ..
- Giraldez A, Copley R, Cohen S. HSPG modification by the secreted enzyme Notum shapes the Wingless morphogen gradient. Dev Cell. 2002;2:667-76 pubmed..High levels of Wingless signaling induce Notum expression. Thus, Wingless contributes to shaping its own gradient by regulating expression of a protein that modifies its interaction with cell surface proteoglycans. ..
- Wedlich Soldner R, Straube A, Friedrich M, Steinberg G. A balance of KIF1A-like kinesin and dynein organizes early endosomes in the fungus Ustilago maydis. EMBO J. 2002;21:2946-57 pubmed..Double mutant analysis indicates that the remaining motility in Deltakin3-mutants depends on dynein, and that dynein and Kin3 counteract on the endosomes to arrange them at opposing cell poles...
- Rusten T, Cantera R, Kafatos F, Barrio R. The role of TGF beta signaling in the formation of the dorsal nervous system is conserved between Drosophila and chordates. Development. 2002;129:3575-84 pubmed..It points to an evolutionarily conserved mechanism specifying dorsal cell fates in the nervous system of both protostomes and deuterostomes. ..
- Freiberg C, Brunner N, Schiffer G, Lampe T, Pohlmann J, Brands M, et al. Identification and characterization of the first class of potent bacterial acetyl-CoA carboxylase inhibitors with antibacterial activity. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26066-73 pubmed
- Portner H, Mark F, Bock C. Oxygen limited thermal tolerance in fish?--Answers obtained by nuclear magnetic resonance techniques. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2004;141:243-60 pubmed..At temperature extremes, systemic hypoxia will elicit metabolic depression, thereby widening the thermal window transiently sustained especially in those species preadapted to hypoxic environments. ..
- Hunte C, Screpanti E, Venturi M, Rimon A, Padan E, Michel H. Structure of a Na+/H+ antiporter and insights into mechanism of action and regulation by pH. Nature. 2005;435:1197-202 pubmed..This ion-exchange machinery is regulated by a conformational change elicited by a pH signal perceived at the entry to the cytoplasmic funnel. ..
- Infante Duarte C, Weber A, Krätzschmar J, Prozorovski T, Pikol S, Hamann I, et al. Frequency of blood CX3CR1-positive natural killer cells correlates with disease activity in multiple sclerosis patients. FASEB J. 2005;19:1902-4 pubmed..These findings emphasize the role of NK cells in the development and course of MS and provide evidence for CX3CR1 expression as a marker for MS patients and disease activity. ..
- Hinrichsen L, Meyerholz A, Groos S, Ungewickell E. Bending a membrane: how clathrin affects budding. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:8715-20 pubmed..A model for coated vesicle formation, incorporating a mechanism commonly referred to as a "Brownian ratchet," is consistent with our observations. ..
- Romir J, Lilie H, Egerer Sieber C, Bauer F, Sticht H, Muller Y. Crystal structure analysis and solution studies of human Lck-SH3; zinc-induced homodimerization competes with the binding of proline-rich motifs. J Mol Biol. 2007;365:1417-28 pubmed..Because the residues that form the zinc-binding site are highly conserved among Lck orthologues but not in other Src-type kinases, the mechanism might be peculiar to Lck and to its role in the initial steps of T-cell activation. ..
- Zhou X, Lutz S, Steffens F, Korth M, Wieland T. Oxytocin receptors differentially signal via Gq and Gi proteins in pregnant and nonpregnant rat uterine myocytes: implications for myometrial contractility. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:740-52 pubmed..The differential regulation of the PKA-mediated suppression of OT-evoked Ca2+ transients and BKCa activity likely supports uterine quiescence during pregnancy. ..
- Jahn U, Huber H, Eisenreich W, Hügler M, Fuchs G. Insights into the autotrophic CO2 fixation pathway of the archaeon Ignicoccus hospitalis: comprehensive analysis of the central carbon metabolism. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:4108-19 pubmed..This comprehensive analysis of the central carbon metabolism of I. hospitalis revealed further evidence for the unexpected and unexplored diversity of metabolic pathways within the (hyperthermophilic) archaea. ..
- Gimsa U, Iglic A, Fiedler S, Zwanzig M, Kralj Iglic V, Jonas L, et al. Actin is not required for nanotubular protrusions of primary astrocytes grown on metal nano-lawn. Mol Membr Biol. 2007;24:243-55 pubmed
- Forstemann K, Horwich M, Wee L, Tomari Y, Zamore P. Drosophila microRNAs are sorted into functionally distinct argonaute complexes after production by dicer-1. Cell. 2007;130:287-97 pubmed..Thus, the two members of the Drosophila Ago subclade of Argonaute proteins are functionally specialized, but specific small RNA classes are not restricted to associate with Ago1 or Ago2. ..
- Morgenthaler N, Struck J, Jochberger S, Dunser M. Copeptin: clinical use of a new biomarker. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2008;19:43-9 pubmed publisher..Here we review recent findings regarding the relationship between AVP and copeptin, and affirm the value of AVP as a surrogate marker for AVP. ..
- David R, Brenner C, Stieber J, Schwarz F, Brunner S, Vollmer M, et al. MesP1 drives vertebrate cardiovascular differentiation through Dkk-1-mediated blockade of Wnt-signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:338-45 pubmed publisher..This may also provide a tool to elicit cardiac transdifferentiation in native human adult stem cells. ..
- Bauer W, Nadler W. Dynamics and efficiency of Brownian rotors. J Chem Phys. 2008;129:225103 pubmed publisher..We analyze which free energy profiles provide maximum flow and how their arrangement on the underlying reaction-diffusion path affects rectification and--by this--the efficiency. ..
- Himmel M, Ritter A, Rothemund S, Pauling B, Rottner K, Gingras A, et al. Control of high affinity interactions in the talin C terminus: how talin domains coordinate protein dynamics in cell adhesions. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:13832-42 pubmed publisher..Intrinsic control of ligand binding activities is essential for the coordination of adhesion site function of talin. ..
- Schmitz G, Leuthäuser Jaschinski K, Orso E. Are circulating monocytes as microglia orthologues appropriate biomarker targets for neuronal diseases?. Cent Nerv Syst Agents Med Chem. 2009;9:307-30 pubmed..They are suitable biomarker targets for diagnosis and prognosis and maybe also therapy of central nervous system disease. ..
- Bornitz M, Hardtke H, Zahnert T. Evaluation of implantable actuators by means of a middle ear simulation model. Hear Res. 2010;263:145-51 pubmed publisher..The implantable actuators showed higher ratio of equivalent sound pressure to radiated sound pressure compared to an open hearing aid transducer and should therefore allow for more functional gain...
- Schliebs W, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Peroxisomal protein import and ERAD: variations on a common theme. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2010;11:885-90 pubmed publisher..We propose that the ER-associated protein degradation (ERAD)-like removal of the peroxisomal import receptor is mechanically coupled to protein translocation into the organelle, giving rise to a new concept of export-driven import...
- Vey M, Schafer W, Berghöfer S, Klenk H, Garten W. Maturation of the trans-Golgi network protease furin: compartmentalization of propeptide removal, substrate cleavage, and COOH-terminal truncation. J Cell Biol. 1994;127:1829-42 pubmed..This observation supports the concept that secretion of truncated furin is a physiological event that may have important implications for the processing of extracellular substrates. ..
- Bacher G, Pool M, Dobberstein B. The ribosome regulates the GTPase of the beta-subunit of the signal recognition particle receptor. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:723-30 pubmed..Interaction between SRP and SRalpha then leads to release of the signal sequence from SRP and insertion into the translocon. GTP hydrolysis then results in dissociation of SR from the ribosome, and SRP from the SR. ..
- Loster K, Vossmeyer D, Hofmann W, Reutter W, Danker K. alpha1 Integrin cytoplasmic domain is involved in focal adhesion formation via association with intracellular proteins. Biochem J. 2001;356:233-40 pubmed..For alpha1 integrin/protein binding, the conserved Lys-Ile-Gly-Phe-Phe-Lys-Arg motif and, in particular, the two lysine residues, are important. ..
- Rey D, P hler A, Kalinowski J. The putative transcriptional repressor McbR, member of the TetR-family, is involved in the regulation of the metabolic network directing the synthesis of sulfur containing amino acids in Corynebacterium glutamicum. J Biotechnol. 2003;103:51-65 pubmed..glutamicum. The C. glutamicum mcbR mutant can be considered to represent a first step in the construction of an L-methionine production strain...
- Papoucheva E, Dumuis A, Sebben M, Richter D, Ponimaskin E. The 5-hydroxytryptamine(1A) receptor is stably palmitoylated, and acylation is critical for communication of receptor with Gi protein. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:3280-91 pubmed
- Simm A, Bartling B, Silber R. RAGE: a new pleiotropic antagonistic gene?. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1019:228-31 pubmed..On the other hand, little is known about the physiological role of RAGE as the receptor of AGEs. Investigations about the expression of RAGE in lung tissue and lung tumors may give a hint for such a role. ..
- Trautwein M, Dengjel J, Schirle M, Spang A. Arf1p provides an unexpected link between COPI vesicles and mRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5021-37 pubmed..Hereby acts the SHE machinery in long-range mRNA transport, whereas COPI vesicles could act as short-range and localization vehicles. The endoplasmic reticulum (ER)-Golgi shuttle might be involved in concentrating mRNA at the ER. ..
- Wild K, Halic M, Sinning I, Beckmann R. SRP meets the ribosome. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2004;11:1049-53 pubmed..By combining structures of free and ribosome-bound SRP we derive a structural model describing the dynamic nature of SRP when it meets the ribosome. ..
- Langenbucher A, Reese S, Huber S, Seitz B. Compensation of aniseikonia with toric intraocular lenses and spherocylindrical spectacles. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2005;25:35-44 pubmed
- Golks A, Brenner D, Schmitz I, Watzl C, Krueger A, Krammer P, et al. The role of CAP3 in CD95 signaling: new insights into the mechanism of procaspase-8 activation. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:489-98 pubmed..These findings lead to new insights into the mechanism of procaspase-8 processing and apoptosis initiation. ..
- Heidenreich W, Carnes B, Paretzke H. Lung cancer risk in mice: analysis of fractionation effects and neutron RBE with a biologically motivated model. Radiat Res. 2006;166:794-801 pubmed..For lifetime relative risk, the RBE from acute neutrons at low doses is estimated at about 10 relative to acute gamma-ray exposure. It decreases strongly with dose. For fractionated neutrons, it is lower, down to about 4 for male mice. ..
- Kneip C, Lockhart P, Voss C, Maier U. Nitrogen fixation in eukaryotes--new models for symbiosis. BMC Evol Biol. 2007;7:55 pubmed..In particular cyanobacterial associations with protists, like the Rhopalodia gibba-spheroid body symbiosis, could serve as important model systems for the investigation of the complex mechanisms underlying organelle evolution. ..
- Oberfeld D. Loudness changes induced by a proximal sound: loudness enhancement, loudness recalibration, or both?. J Acoust Soc Am. 2007;121:2137-48 pubmed..The faster-decaying process causing loudness enhancement or loudness decrement has the strongest effect at a masker-target level difference of approximately 30 dB. A model explaining this mid-difference hump is proposed. ..
- Garzón M, Eifler K, Faust A, Scheel H, Hofmann K, Koncz C, et al. PRT6/At5g02310 encodes an Arabidopsis ubiquitin ligase of the N-end rule pathway with arginine specificity and is not the CER3 locus. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:3189-96 pubmed..At5g02310 has therefore been re-designated PROTEOLYSIS 6 (PRT6), in accordance with its ubiquitin ligase function. ..
- Warth A. Is alpha-dystroglycan the missing link in the mechanism of enterocyte uptake and translocation of Mycobacterium avium paratuberculosis?. Med Hypotheses. 2008;70:369-74 pubmed..Since there are options to modify dystroglycan this might be a potential new target to prevent or even treat intestinal MAP infections. ..
- Galuska S, Geyer R, Gerardy Schahn R, Muhlenhoff M, Geyer H. Enzyme-dependent variations in the polysialylation of the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:17-28 pubmed..Thus, our fine structure analyses suggest a comparable quality of polysialylation by ST8SiaII and ST8SiaIV and a distinct synergistic action of the two enzymes in the synthesis of long polySia chains at N-glycosylation site 5 in vivo. ..
- Hoffmann C, Leis A, Niederweis M, Plitzko J, Engelhardt H. Disclosure of the mycobacterial outer membrane: cryo-electron tomography and vitreous sections reveal the lipid bilayer structure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:3963-7 pubmed publisher..These results are crucial for the investigation and understanding of transport processes across the mycobacterial cell wall, and they are of particular medical relevance in the case of pathogenic mycobacteria. ..
- Luo K, Ala Nissila T, Ying S, Bhattacharya A. Translocation dynamics with attractive nanopore-polymer interactions. Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2008;78:061918 pubmed..Our results are in good agreement with recent experimental findings, and provide a plausible explanation for the different scaling behavior observed in solid state nanopores vs that for the natural alpha-hemolysin channel. ..
- Liebau E, Dawood K, Fabrini R, Fischer Riepe L, Perbandt M, Stella L, et al. Tetramerization and cooperativity in Plasmodium falciparum glutathione S-transferase are mediated by atypic loop 113-119. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:22133-9 pubmed publisher..Because of the importance of this unique segment in the function/structure of PfGST, it could be a new target for the development of antimalarial drugs. ..
- Kühner S, van Noort V, Betts M, Leo Macias A, Batisse C, Rode M, et al. Proteome organization in a genome-reduced bacterium. Science. 2009;326:1235-40 pubmed publisher..The data set provides a blueprint of the minimal cellular machinery required for life. ..