Experts and Doctors on bibliometrics in United States
Locale: United States
- Solomon K, Fernández de Castro L, Sandoval H, Biber J, Groat B, Neff K, et al. LASIK world literature review: quality of life and patient satisfaction. Ophthalmology. 2009;116:691-701 pubmed publisher..LASIK surgery compares more favorably with other elective surgical procedures in terms of generally higher satisfaction rates. ..
- Agarwal A, Durairajanayagam D, Tatagari S, Esteves S, Harlev A, Henkel R, et al. Bibliometrics: tracking research impact by selecting the appropriate metrics. Asian J Androl. 2016;18:296-309 pubmed publisher..We recommend the combined use of quantitative and qualitative evaluation using judiciously selected metrics for a more objective assessment of scholarly output and research impact. ..
- Ganzberg S, Rashid R, Davidian E. Contribution of dentist anesthesiologists to dental anesthesiology research. Anesth Prog. 2011;58:14-21 pubmed publisher..Dentist anesthesiologists actively contribute to the research in anesthesiology for dentistry and thus, actively contribute to new knowledge in the field. ..
- Rosenberg M, Ranapurwala S, Townes A, Bengtson A. Do black lives matter in public health research and training?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185957 pubmed publisher..To examine whether investments made in public health research align with the health burdens experienced by white and black Americans...
- Shuai X, Pepe A, Bollen J. How the scientific community reacts to newly submitted preprints: article downloads, Twitter mentions, and citations. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47523 pubmed publisher..We also find that the volume of Twitter mentions is statistically correlated with arXiv downloads and early citations just months after the publication of a preprint, with a possible bias that favors highly mentioned articles. ..
- Zauszniewski J, Bekhet A, Haberlein S. A decade of published evidence for psychiatric and mental health nursing interventions. Online J Issues Nurs. 2012;17:8 pubmed..In this article, the authors note a need for more randomized, controlled trials and studies to compare effectiveness across interventions. ..
- Hecht F, Hecht B, Sandberg A. The journal "impact factor": a misnamed, misleading, misused measure. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1998;104:77-81 pubmed
- Coronado R, Riddle D, Wurtzel W, George S. Bibliometric analysis of articles published from 1980 to 2009 in Physical Therapy, journal of the American Physical Therapy Association. Phys Ther. 2011;91:642-55 pubmed publisher..Bibliometric analyses indicated the most frequent citations were metric studies and references in PTJ were from journals from a variety of disciplines. ..
- Hendrix D. An analysis of bibliometric indicators, National Institutes of Health funding, and faculty size at Association of American Medical Colleges medical schools, 1997-2007. J Med Libr Assoc. 2008;96:324-34 pubmed..The large variance of the collected data suggests that refining bibliometric data by discipline, peer groups, or journal information may provide a more precise assessment. ..
- Raad J, Bellinger S, McCormick E, Roberts M, Steele R. Brief report: reporting practices of methodological information in four journals of pediatric and child psychology. J Pediatr Psychol. 2008;33:688-93 pubmed publisher..Improvements in descriptive information have implications for interpretation, replication, and generalizability of research findings. ..
- Galganski C. Mapping the literature of nursing administration. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:E87-91 pubmed
- White P, Hall M. Mapping the literature of case management nursing. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:E99-106 pubmed..Collections that support case management require a relatively small group of core journals. Students and health care professionals will need to search across disciplines to identify appropriate literature. ..
- Kliewer M, DeLong D, Freed K, Jenkins C, Paulson E, Provenzale J. Peer review at the American Journal of Roentgenology: how reviewer and manuscript characteristics affected editorial decisions on 196 major papers. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004;183:1545-50 pubmed..Reviewers who were older and of higher academic rank tended to discount the importance of manuscripts. ..
- Cohen A, Hersh W, Peterson K, Yen P. Reducing workload in systematic review preparation using automated citation classification. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2006;13:206-19 pubmed..Further work is needed to refine the classification system and determine the best manner to integrate the system into the production of systematic reviews. ..
- Spasser M, Weismantel A. Mapping the literature of rehabilitation nursing. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:E137-42 pubmed
- Murphy S. Mapping the literature of transcultural nursing. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:E143-51 pubmed..Based on this study, PubMed/MEDLINE, Social Sciences Citation Index, and CINAHL provide the best coverage. Collections supporting transcultural nursing require robust access to literature beyond nursing publications. ..
- Ding Y, Song M, Han J, Yu Q, Yan E, Lin L, et al. Entitymetrics: measuring the impact of entities. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71416 pubmed publisher..The comparison demonstrates the usefulness of entitymetrics to detect most of the outstanding interactions manually curated in CTD. ..
- Kostoff R, Johnson D, Rio J, Bloomfield L, Shlesinger M, Malpohl G, et al. Duplicate publication and 'paper inflation' in the Fractals literature. Sci Eng Ethics. 2006;12:543-54 pubmed..This 'paper inflation' is due in large part to the increasing use of metrics (publications, patents, citations, etc) to evaluate research performance, and the researchers' motivation to maximize the metrics. ..
- Liesegang T, Shaikh M, Crook J. The outcome of manuscripts submitted to the American Journal of Ophthalmology between 2002 and 2003. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007;143:551-60 pubmed..Rejection of a manuscript by the AJO does not preclude publication, but rejected manuscripts are published more often in journals that serve a smaller readership and are cited less frequently, although exceptions exist. ..
- Drury C. Human factors in industrial systems: 40 years on. Hum Factors. 2008;50:368-74 pubmed..There is now evidence of use of HF/E techniques more broadly in industry, including service as well manufacturing enterprises. ..
- Hughes J, Foti N, Krakauer D, Rockmore D. Quantitative patterns of stylistic influence in the evolution of literature. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:7682-6 pubmed publisher..This study gives quantitative support to the notion of a literary "style of a time" with a strong trend toward increasingly contemporaneous stylistic influence. ..
- Helme D, Rayens M, Kercsmar S, Adkins S, Amundsen S, Lee E, et al. Rural print media portrayal of secondhand smoke and smoke-free policy. Health Promot Pract. 2012;13:848-56 pubmed publisher..Implications for targeting pro-health media in rural communities as well as policy-based initiatives for tobacco control are discussed. ..
- Yoshii A, Plaut D, McGraw K, Anderson M, Wellik K. Analysis of the reporting of search strategies in Cochrane systematic reviews. J Med Libr Assoc. 2009;97:21-9 pubmed publisher..The 65 reviews represented 41 different Cochrane review groups. The instructions from the Cochrane Handbook for reporting search strategies are not being consistently employed by groups producing Cochrane reviews. ..