Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacterial proteins in France
Topic: bacterial proteins
Publications612 found, 100 shown here
- Abdelbaqi K, Buissonnière A, Prouzet Mauleon V, Gresser J, Wesley I, Megraud F, et al. Development of a real-time fluorescence resonance energy transfer PCR to detect arcobacter species. J Clin Microbiol. 2007;45:3015-21 pubmed..The assay is economical since only one biprobe is used and multiple Arcobacter species are identified in a single test...
- Picão R, Poirel L, Gales A, Nordmann P. Diversity of beta-lactamases produced by ceftazidime-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates causing bloodstream infections in Brazil. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:3908-13 pubmed publisher..This study underlines the spread of MBL- and ESBL-producing P. aeruginosa isolates as an important source of ceftazidime resistance in Brazil. ..
- Lamarque M, Aubel D, Piard J, Gilbert C, Juillard V, Atlan D. The peptide transport system Opt is involved in both nutrition and environmental sensing during growth of Lactococcus lactis in milk. Microbiology. 2011;157:1612-9 pubmed publisher..So, these results shed new light on the peptide-dependent regulation relying on two peptide transporters with different specificities: DtpT and Opt (via OptS)...
- Fromageau A, Cunha P, Gilbert F, Rainard P. Purified Staphylococcus aureus leukotoxin LukM/F' does not trigger inflammation in the bovine mammary gland. Microb Pathog. 2011;51:396-401 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results indicate that purified leukotoxin LukM/F' is not likely to contribute to the initiation of the inflammatory response and could even play an anti-inflammatory role in the mammary gland by inactivating macrophages. ..
- Darrouzet E, Lindenthal S, Marcellin D, Pellequer J, Pourcher T. The sodium/iodide symporter: state of the art of its molecular characterization. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1838:244-53 pubmed publisher..This review will summarize current knowledge regarding the molecular characterization of NIS. ..
- Valley M, Henderson L, Inverso S, Lledo P. Adult neurogenesis produces neurons with unique GABAergic synapses in the olfactory bulb. J Neurosci. 2013;33:14660-5 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that adult neurogenesis produces a population of functionally unique GABAergic synapses in the olfactory bulb. ..
- Peton V, Breyne K, Rault L, Demeyere K, Berkova N, Meyer E, et al. Disruption of the sigS gene attenuates the local innate immune response to Staphylococcus aureus in a mouse mastitis model. Vet Microbiol. 2016;186:44-51 pubmed publisher..aureus pathogenesis in a ruminant mastitis context. This disruption is probably involved in, and may partly explain, the milder symptoms previously observed in S. aureus O46-induced mastitis in ewes. ..
- Texier Maugein J, Clerc M, Vekris A, Bebear C. Ureaplasma-urealyticum-induced bladder stones in rats and their prevention by flurofamide and doxycycline. Isr J Med Sci. 1987;23:565-7 pubmed..Ureaplasmas disappeared rapidly from the urine. The inhibitory effect of flurofamide was higher than that of doxycycline. However, doxycycline seemed to be efficient when given for a long period (5 weeks)...
- Fischer G, Wenner T, Decaris B, Leblond P. Chromosomal arm replacement generates a high level of intraspecific polymorphism in the terminal inverted repeats of the linear chromosomal DNA of Streptomyces ambofaciens. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:14296-301 pubmed..We suggest that this mechanism of chromosomal arm replacement contributes to the rapid evolutionary diversification of the sequences of the TIR in Streptomyces...
- Adrait A, Jacquamet L, Le Pape L, Gonzalez de Peredo A, Aberdam D, Hazemann J, et al. Spectroscopic and saturation magnetization properties of the manganese- and cobalt-substituted Fur (ferric uptake regulation) protein from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1999;38:6248-60 pubmed
- H braud M, Guzzo J. The main cold shock protein of Listeria monocytogenes belongs to the family of ferritin-like proteins. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2000;190:29-34 pubmed..Northern analysis indicated the presence of a 0.8-kb monocistronic mRNA in exponential growing cells and an important increase inflp mRNA amount after a downshift but also an upshift in temperature...
- Jarraud S, Lyon G, Figueiredo A, Lina G, Gerard L, Vandenesch F, et al. Exfoliatin-producing strains define a fourth agr specificity group in Staphylococcus aureus. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:6517-22 pubmed..This finding raises the question of the biological significance of the agr autoinduction threshold. ..
- Favier A, Brutscher B, Blackledge M, Galinier A, Deutscher J, Penin F, et al. Solution structure and dynamics of Crh, the Bacillus subtilis catabolite repression HPr. J Mol Biol. 2002;317:131-44 pubmed..15)N relaxation measured in the monomeric form also identified differential local mobility in the helix B which is located in the vicinity of this site. ..
- Fourrier L, Brooks P, Malinge J. Binding discrimination of MutS to a set of lesions and compound lesions (base damage and mismatch) reveals its potential role as a cisplatin-damaged DNA sensing protein. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:21267-75 pubmed
- Deutscher J, Herro R, Bourand A, Mijakovic I, Poncet S. P-Ser-HPr--a link between carbon metabolism and the virulence of some pathogenic bacteria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1754:118-25 pubmed..Indeed, inactivation of Neisseria meningitidis hprK strongly diminished cell adhesion of this pathogen. ..
- Loisel Meyer S, Jiménez de Bagüés M, Kohler S, Liautard J, Jubier Maurin V. Differential use of the two high-oxygen-affinity terminal oxidases of Brucella suis for in vitro and intramacrophagic multiplication. Infect Immun. 2005;73:7768-71 pubmed..The cytochrome cbb3 oxidase was exclusively expressed in vitro, whereas the cytochrome bd oxidase was preferentially used inside macrophages and contributed to intracellular bacterial replication...
- Dramsi S, Caliot E, Bonne I, Guadagnini S, Prevost M, Kojadinovic M, et al. Assembly and role of pili in group B streptococci. Mol Microbiol. 2006;60:1401-13 pubmed..e. the putative anchor Gbs1474 or the adhesin Gbs1478. Adherence assays showed that Gbs1478 confers adhesive capacity to the pilus. This study provides the first evidence that adhesive pili are also present in Gram-positive pathogens. ..
- Valls M, Genin S, Boucher C. Integrated regulation of the type III secretion system and other virulence determinants in Ralstonia solanacearum. PLoS Pathog. 2006;2:e82 pubmed
- Duron O, Boureux A, Echaubard P, Berthomieu A, Berticat C, Fort P, et al. Variability and expression of ankyrin domain genes in Wolbachia variants infecting the mosquito Culex pipiens. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:4442-8 pubmed..Further analysis of ANK gene expression evidenced host- and sex-dependent variations, which did not improve the correlation. Taken together, these data do not support the direct implication of ANK genes in CI determinism. ..
- Guerin M, Kordulakova J, Schaeffer F, Svetlikova Z, Buschiazzo A, Giganti D, et al. Molecular recognition and interfacial catalysis by the essential phosphatidylinositol mannosyltransferase PimA from mycobacteria. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:20705-14 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a novel mode of phosphatidylinositol recognition and provide a template for the development of potential antimycobacterial compounds...
- Delangle A, Prouvost A, Cogez V, Bohin J, Lacroix J, Cotte Pattat N. Characterization of the Erwinia chrysanthemi Gan locus, involved in galactan catabolism. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:7053-61 pubmed..These mutations did not affect the virulence of E. chrysanthemi on chicory leaves, potato tubers, or Saintpaulia ionantha, suggesting an accessory role of galactan utilization in the bacterial pathogeny...
- Jaubert M, Vuillet L, Hannibal L, Adriano J, Fardoux J, Bouyer P, et al. Control of peripheral light-harvesting complex synthesis by a bacteriophytochrome in the aerobic photosynthetic bacterium Bradyrhizobium strain BTAi1. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:5824-31 pubmed publisher..One putative function of this LH complex could be to evacuate excess light energy in order to protect Bradyrhizobium strain BTAi1, an aerobic anoxygenic photosynthetic bacterium, against photooxidative damage during photosynthesis. ..
- Makhzami S, Quénée P, Akary E, Bach C, Aigle M, Delacroix Buchet A, et al. In situ gene expression in cheese matrices: application to a set of enterococcal genes. J Microbiol Methods. 2008;75:485-90 pubmed publisher..The method described here constitutes a very promising tool for future transcriptomic studies in cheese matrices. Global profiling in foods may prove to be a valid criterion for differentiating food from clinical isolates. ..
- Collén P, Lemoine M, Daniellou R, Guégan J, Paoletti S, Helbert W. Enzymatic degradation of ?-carrageenan in aqueous solution. Biomacromolecules. 2009;10:1757-67 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we propose a single-helix ordered conformation state for ?-carrageenan and reject the previously advocated double-helix model. ..
- Saujet L, Monot M, Dupuy B, Soutourina O, Martin Verstraete I. The key sigma factor of transition phase, SigH, controls sporulation, metabolism, and virulence factor expression in Clostridium difficile. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:3186-96 pubmed publisher..Among the 286 genes positively regulated by SigH, about 40 transcriptional units presenting a SigH consensus in their promoter regions are good candidates for direct SigH targets. ..
- Nguyen T, Tran N, Cavin J. Genetic and biochemical analysis of PadR-padC promoter interactions during the phenolic acid stress response in Bacillus subtilis 168. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:4180-91 pubmed publisher..Of particular interest are residue L128, located at the center of the putative coiled-coil leucine zipper domain, and residue E97, which is conserved among all PadRs. ..
- Kaminski P, Labesse G. Phosphodeoxyribosyltransferases, designed enzymes for deoxyribonucleotides synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:6534-41 pubmed publisher..These new enzymes provide new tools to synthesize dNTP analogues and to deliver them into cells. ..
- Mesli E, Berrazeg M, Drissi M, Bekkhoucha S, Rolain J. Prevalence of carbapenemase-encoding genes including New Delhi metallo-?-lactamase in Acinetobacter species, Algeria. Int J Infect Dis. 2013;17:e739-43 pubmed publisher..2%). This study represents the first description of autochthonous Acinetobacter spp producing metallo-?-lactamase blaNDM-1-like and oxacillinases blaOXA-23-like and blaOXA-24-like in western Algeria. ..
- Giudice E, Gillet R. The task force that rescues stalled ribosomes in bacteria. Trends Biochem Sci. 2013;38:403-11 pubmed publisher..These discoveries make it possible to describe a large network of factors dedicated to ribosome rescue, thus ensuring cell survival during stresses that induce ribosome stalling. ..
- Fourche J, Capdepuy M, Maugein J, Le Moigne F. Analysis of cellular fatty acids and proteins by capillary gas chromatography and sodium dodecyl sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis to differentiate Mycobacterium avium, Mycobacterium intracellulare and Mycobacterium scrofulaceum (MAIS) comp. J Chromatogr. 1990;532:209-16 pubmed
- De Pina K, Desjardin V, Mandrand Berthelot M, Giordano G, Wu L. Isolation and characterization of the nikR gene encoding a nickel-responsive regulator in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:670-4 pubmed..Expression of nikR was partially controlled by Fnr through transcription from the nikA promoter region. In addition, a specific transcription start site for the constitutive expression of nikR was found 51 bp upstream of the nikR gene. ..
- Dervyn E, Suski C, Daniel R, Bruand C, Chapuis J, Errington J, et al. Two essential DNA polymerases at the bacterial replication fork. Science. 2001;294:1716-9 pubmed..subtilis and in many other bacteria that contain both polC and dnaE genes. ..
- Dalet K, Cenatiempo Y, Cossart P, H chard Y. A sigma(54)-dependent PTS permease of the mannose family is responsible for sensitivity of Listeria monocytogenes to mesentericin Y105. Microbiology. 2001;147:3263-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results of this work demonstrate that Ell(t)(Man) is prominent in sensitivity to mesentericin Y105 and could be a receptor for subclass IIa bacteriocins...
- Santos A, Queiroz D, Menard A, Marais A, Rocha G, Oliveira C, et al. New pathogenicity marker found in the plasticity region of the Helicobacter pylori genome. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:1651-5 pubmed..The presence of the JHP947 gene was associated with the cagA-positive genotype. The JHP947 gene is a novel virulence marker candidate of H. pylori. ..
- Bougdour A, Lelong C, Geiselmann J. Crl, a low temperature-induced protein in Escherichia coli that binds directly to the stationary phase sigma subunit of RNA polymerase. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19540-50 pubmed..Crl accumulates in stationary phase cells at low temperature (30 degrees C) but not at 37 degrees C. We therefore propose that Crl is a second thermosensor, besides DsrA, controlling sigma(S) activity. ..
- Morlot C, Noirclerc Savoye M, Zapun A, Dideberg O, Vernet T. The D,D-carboxypeptidase PBP3 organizes the division process of Streptococcus pneumoniae. Mol Microbiol. 2004;51:1641-8 pubmed..Our work reveals an unexpected complexity in the relationships between the division proteins. The consequences of the absence of PBP3 indicate that the peptidoglycan composition is central to the co-ordination of the division process. ..
- Verneuil N, Sanguinetti M, Le Breton Y, Posteraro B, Fadda G, Auffray Y, et al. Effects of the Enterococcus faecalis hypR gene encoding a new transcriptional regulator on oxidative stress response and intracellular survival within macrophages. Infect Immun. 2004;72:4424-31 pubmed publisher..Our combined results showed that HypR appeared to be directly involved in the expression of ahpCF genes under oxidative stress conditions and suggested that this regulator could contribute to the virulence of E. faecalis...
- Lebel S, Bouttier S, Lambert T. The cme gene of Clostridium difficile confers multidrug resistance in Enterococcus faecalis. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004;238:93-100 pubmed..aureus RN4220. One of these sequences, designated cme conferred resistance to ethidium bromide, safranin O, and erythromycin in E. faecalis. The three other ORFs did not confer detectable resistance in both bacteria. ..
- Dupont L, Garcia I, Poggi M, Alloing G, Mandon K, Le Rudulier D. The Sinorhizobium meliloti ABC transporter Cho is highly specific for choline and expressed in bacteroids from Medicago sativa nodules. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:5988-96 pubmed
- Ghisalberti D, Masi M, Pages J, Chevalier J. Chloramphenicol and expression of multidrug efflux pump in Enterobacter aerogenes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;328:1113-8 pubmed..MDR in the chloramphenicol-resistant variant is linked to the overexpression of the major AcrAB-TolC efflux system. This overexpression seems unrelated to the global Mar and the local AcrR regulatory pathways...
- Blanvillain S, Meyer D, Boulanger A, Lautier M, Guynet C, Denancé N, et al. Plant carbohydrate scavenging through tonB-dependent receptors: a feature shared by phytopathogenic and aquatic bacteria. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e224 pubmed
- Claverys J, Martin B, Havarstein L. Competence-induced fratricide in streptococci. Mol Microbiol. 2007;64:1423-33 pubmed
- Rincon Enriquez G, Crété P, Barras F, Py B. Biogenesis of Fe/S proteins and pathogenicity: IscR plays a key role in allowing Erwinia chrysanthemi to adapt to hostile conditions. Mol Microbiol. 2008;67:1257-73 pubmed publisher..In this view, the IscR regulator, which controls both Isc and Suf, is predicted to play a major role in the ability of E. chrysanthemi to colonize a wide array of different plants...
- Candela T, Moya M, Haustant M, Fouet A. Fusobacterium nucleatum, the first Gram-negative bacterium demonstrated to produce polyglutamate. Can J Microbiol. 2009;55:627-32 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that, like for Gram-positive bacteria, poly-gamma-glutamate has a role in virulence for pathogens and one in survival for other Gram-negative bacteria...
- Perichon B, Courvalin P. VanA-type vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:4580-7 pubmed publisher..The association of multiple molecular and environmental factors has been implicated in the regional emergence of VRSA in Michigan. ..
- Amouric A, Quéméneur M, Grossi V, Liebgott P, Auria R, Casalot L. Identification of different alkane hydroxylase systems in Rhodococcus ruber strain SP2B, an hexane-degrading actinomycete. J Appl Microbiol. 2010;108:1903-16 pubmed publisher..To investigate the alkane-hydroxylating system of isolate SP2B, closely related to Rhodococcus ruber DSM 43338(T) and uncharacterized so far for its alkane degradation genes...
- Lechardeur D, Fernandez A, Robert B, Gaudu P, Trieu Cuot P, Lamberet G, et al. The 2-Cys peroxiredoxin alkyl hydroperoxide reductase c binds heme and participates in its intracellular availability in Streptococcus agalactiae. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:16032-41 pubmed publisher..In support of this hypothesis, AhpC-bound hemin was protected from chemical degradation in vitro. Our results reveal for the first time a role for AhpC as a heme-binding protein. ..
- Aymeric J, Givaudan A, Duvic B. Imd pathway is involved in the interaction of Drosophila melanogaster with the entomopathogenic bacteria, Xenorhabdus nematophila and Photorhabdus luminescens. Mol Immunol. 2010;47:2342-8 pubmed publisher..coli-induced protection. However, phoP recovered a level of pathogenicity comparable to P. luminescens wild-type TT01 when injected to Drosophila flies affected on the imd pathway. ..
- Kolowrat C, Partensky F, Mella Flores D, Le Corguillé G, Boutte C, Blot N, et al. Ultraviolet stress delays chromosome replication in light/dark synchronized cells of the marine cyanobacterium Prochlorococcus marinus PCC9511. BMC Microbiol. 2010;10:204 pubmed publisher..Expression patterns of key DNA synthesis and repair, cell division, and clock genes were analyzed in order to decipher molecular mechanisms of adaptation to UV radiation...
- Pellegrino S, Radzimanowski J, de Sanctis D, Boeri Erba E, McSweeney S, Timmins J. Structural and functional characterization of an SMC-like protein RecN: new insights into double-strand break repair. Structure. 2012;20:2076-89 pubmed publisher..These results, together with a thorough biochemical and mutational study of RecN, allow us to propose a model for the role of RecN in DSB repair...
- Lonjon F, Turner M, Henry C, Rengel D, Lohou D, van de Kerkhove Q, et al. Comparative Secretome Analysis of Ralstonia solanacearum Type 3 Secretion-Associated Mutants Reveals a Fine Control of Effector Delivery, Essential for Bacterial Pathogenicity. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2016;15:598-613 pubmed publisher..HpaB was required for bacterial pathogenicity on multiple hosts whereas HpaG was found to be specifically required for full R. solanacearum pathogenicity on the legume plant Medicago truncatula. ..
- Bingen E, Bonacorsi S, Brahimi N, Denamur E, Elion J. Virulence patterns of Escherichia coli K1 strains associated with neonatal meningitis. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:2981-2 pubmed..coli K1 commensal strains, and 47 E. coli blood isolates from neonates without meningitis. ibe10, sfa, and the 14.9-kb HindIII fragment were observed significantly more often in the meningitis strains than in blood or commensal strains. ..
- Zhang C, Friry A, Peng L. Molecular and genetic analysis of two closely linked genes that encode, respectively, a protein phosphatase 1/2A/2B homolog and a protein kinase homolog in the cyanobacterium Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:2616-22 pubmed
- Mosoni P, Gaillard Martinie B. Characterization of a spontaneous adhesion-defective mutant of Ruminococcus albus strain 20. Arch Microbiol. 2001;176:52-61 pubmed..These results suggest that adhesion and cellulolysis are linked and that adhesion is a multifactorial phenomenon that involves at least the extracellular glycocalyx. ..
- Camarasa C, Bidard F, Bony M, Barre P, Dequin S. Characterization of Schizosaccharomyces pombe malate permease by expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2001;67:4144-51 pubmed..cerevisiae, and intracellular pH remained constant. This suggests that, in S. cerevisiae, either there is a proton counterflow or the Mae1p permease functions differently from a proton/dicarboxylate symport. ..
- Vermeglio A, Li J, Schoepp Cothenet B, Pratt N, Knaff D. The role of high-potential iron protein and cytochrome c(8) as alternative electron donors to the reaction center of Chromatium vinosum. Biochemistry. 2002;41:8868-75 pubmed
- Basset A, Tzou P, Lemaitre B, Boccard F. A single gene that promotes interaction of a phytopathogenic bacterium with its insect vector, Drosophila melanogaster. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:205-9 pubmed..Our results demonstrate a specific interaction between plant pathogens and flies that promote their dissemination. ..
- Malléa M, Mahamoud A, Chevalier J, Alibert Franco S, Brouant P, Barbe J, et al. Alkylaminoquinolines inhibit the bacterial antibiotic efflux pump in multidrug-resistant clinical isolates. Biochem J. 2003;376:801-5 pubmed..Inhibitory activity of this alkylaminoquinoline is observed on clinical isolates showing different resistance phenotypes. ..
- Cladière L, Hamze K, Madec E, Levdikov V, Wilkinson A, Holland I, et al. The GTPase, CpgA(YloQ), a putative translation factor, is implicated in morphogenesis in Bacillus subtilis. Mol Genet Genomics. 2006;275:409-20 pubmed..The crystal structure of CpgA(YloQ) suggests a role as a translation initiation factor and we discuss the possibility that CpgA is involved in the translation of a subset of proteins, including some required for shape maintenance. ..
- Michel G, Nyval Collen P, Barbeyron T, Czjzek M, Helbert W. Bioconversion of red seaweed galactans: a focus on bacterial agarases and carrageenases. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;71:23-33 pubmed..Finally, we discuss the next challenges in the basic and applied field of the galactans of red algae and of their related degrading microorganisms. ..
- Majlessi L, Simsova M, Jarvis Z, Brodin P, Rojas M, Bauche C, et al. An increase in antimycobacterial Th1-cell responses by prime-boost protocols of immunization does not enhance protection against tuberculosis. Infect Immun. 2006;74:2128-37 pubmed..These results question the broadly admitted correlation between the frequency of IFN-gamma-producing CD4+ T cells and the level of protection against tuberculosis. ..
- Castang S, Reverchon S, Gouet P, Nasser W. Direct evidence for the modulation of the activity of the Erwinia chrysanthemi quorum-sensing regulator ExpR by acylhomoserine lactone pheromone. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:29972-87 pubmed
- Bryson K, Loux V, Bossy R, Nicolas P, Chaillou S, van de Guchte M, et al. AGMIAL: implementing an annotation strategy for prokaryote genomes as a distributed system. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:3533-45 pubmed..AGMIAL is currently being used by several INRA laboratories to analyze genomes of bacteria relevant to the food-processing industry, and is distributed under an open source license. ..
- Laguerre G, Depret G, Bourion V, Duc G. Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. viciae genotypes interact with pea plants in developmental responses of nodules, roots and shoots. New Phytol. 2007;176:680-90 pubmed..The results suggest that the plant could not control nodule development sustaining the energy demand for nodule functioning and its optimal growth. The molecular and physiological mechanisms that may be involved are discussed. ..
- Pontais I, Treutter D, Paulin J, Brisset M. Erwinia amylovora modifies phenolic profiles of susceptible and resistant apple through its type III secretion system. Physiol Plant. 2008;132:262-71 pubmed publisher..However, E. amylovora exhibited the ability to stabilize this compound at sublethal levels even in the resistant apple, rejecting the hypothesis of its involvement in the resistance of this genotype...
- Trindade M, Job V, Contreras Martel C, Pelicic V, Dessen A. Structure of a widely conserved type IV pilus biogenesis factor that affects the stability of secretin multimers. J Mol Biol. 2008;378:1031-9 pubmed publisher..These results could be exploited for the development of new broad-spectrum antibacterials interfering with the biogenesis of a widespread virulence factor. ..
- Bouthier de La Tour C, Amrani L, Cossard R, Neuman K, Serre M, Duguet M. Mutational analysis of the helicase-like domain of Thermotoga maritima reverse gyrase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27395-402 pubmed publisher..The zinc finger motif located at the N-terminal end of reverse gyrases was also mutated. Our results indicate that this motif plays an important role in DNA binding. ..
- Douet V, Expert D, Barras F, Py B. Erwinia chrysanthemi iron metabolism: the unexpected implication of the inner membrane platform within the type II secretion system. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:795-804 pubmed publisher..The OutEFLM-forming platform is proposed to be instrumental in two different processes essential for virulence, protein secretion and iron homeostasis. ..
- Doublet B, Granier S, Robin F, Bonnet R, Fabre L, Brisabois A, et al. Novel plasmid-encoded ceftazidime-hydrolyzing CTX-M-53 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase from Salmonella enterica serotypes Westhampton and Senftenberg. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:1944-51 pubmed publisher..This is the first characterization of the CTX-M-53 ESBL, which represents an additional ceftazidime-hydrolyzing CTX-M enzyme...
- Hébrard M, Viala J, Méresse S, Barras F, Aussel L. Redundant hydrogen peroxide scavengers contribute to Salmonella virulence and oxidative stress resistance. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:4605-14 pubmed publisher..This enzymatic redundancy highlights the evolutionary strategies developed by bacterial pathogens to survive within hostile environments...
- Poncet S, Soret M, Mervelet P, Deutscher J, Noirot P. Transcriptional activator YesS is stimulated by histidine-phosphorylated HPr of the Bacillus subtilis phosphotransferase system. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:28188-97 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that two-hybrid assays can be used for the identification of unknown kinases of phosphorylated bacterial proteins detected in phosphoproteome analyses...
- Cambau E, Allerheiligen V, Coulon C, Corbel C, Lascols C, Deforges L, et al. Evaluation of a new test, genotype HelicoDR, for molecular detection of antibiotic resistance in Helicobacter pylori. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:3600-7 pubmed publisher..GenoType HelicoDR is efficient at detecting mutations predictive of antibiotic resistance in H. pylori when applied to strains or directly to gastric biopsy specimens. ..
- Bernard E, Rolain T, Courtin P, Guillot A, Langella P, Hols P, et al. Characterization of O-acetylation of N-acetylglucosamine: a novel structural variation of bacterial peptidoglycan. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:23950-8 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that in L. plantarum, two different O-acetyltransferases play original and antagonistic roles in the modulation of the activity of endogenous autolysins. ..
- Héry Arnaud G, Rouzic N, Doloy A, Le Lay G, Garre M, Payan C, et al. Streptococcus australis meningitis. J Med Microbiol. 2011;60:1701-4 pubmed publisher..We report a case of meningitis due to Streptococcus australis, a species of oral streptococcus. Accurate identification was performed by various molecular techniques...
- Misra S, Milohanic E, Aké F, Mijakovic I, Deutscher J, Monnet V, et al. Analysis of the serine/threonine/tyrosine phosphoproteome of the pathogenic bacterium Listeria monocytogenes reveals phosphorylated proteins related to virulence. Proteomics. 2011;11:4155-65 pubmed publisher..Compared with the previous studies, we noticed a more extended conservation of the phosphorylation sites in glycolytic enzymes as well as ribosomal proteins. ..
- Escalon A, Javegny S, Vernière C, Noël L, Vital K, Poussier S, et al. Variations in type III effector repertoires, pathological phenotypes and host range of Xanthomonas citri pv. citri pathotypes. Mol Plant Pathol. 2013;14:483-96 pubmed publisher..Our data outline the importance of taking into account the heterogeneity of Xci?A*/A(W) strains when analysing the mechanisms of host specialization...
- Lloubes R, Bernadac A, Houot L, Pommier S. Non classical secretion systems. Res Microbiol. 2013;164:655-63 pubmed publisher..The second system is dependent of the expression of the colicin lysis genes known for releasing cytoplasmic colicins as well as other soluble proteins. Both systems will be described thereafter. ..
- Bouthier de La Tour C, Blanchard L, Dulermo R, Ludanyi M, Devigne A, Armengaud J, et al. The abundant and essential HU proteins in Deinococcus deserti and Deinococcus radiodurans are translated from leaderless mRNA. Microbiology. 2015;161:2410-22 pubmed publisher..The expression level and start codon correction were crucial for functional characterization of HU in Deinococcus. ..
- Clement Metral J, Holmgren A, Cambillau C, Jornvall H, Eklund H, Thomas D, et al. Amino acid sequence determination and three-dimensional modelling of thioredoxin from the photosynthetic bacterium Rhodobacter sphaeroides Y. Eur J Biochem. 1988;172:413-9 pubmed..This model indicates that the overall structures as well as the active sites are closely similar; however, the residue substitutions allow both proteins to adopt different local folding as shown in the hydrophobic core. ..
- Pujol C, Ehrlich S, Janniere L. The promiscuous plasmids pIP501 and pAM beta 1 from gram-positive bacteria encode complementary resolution functions. Plasmid. 1994;31:100-5 pubmed..Additionally, we present evidence that the structural similarity between the two plasmids extends for further approximately 2 kb, through a region which may encode a topoisomerase protein in pAM beta 1. ..
- Gourmelon M, Touati D, Pommepuy M, Cormier M. Survival of Escherichia coli exposed to visible light in seawater: analysis of rpoS-dependent effects. Can J Microbiol. 1997;43:1036-43 pubmed..In freshwater, rpoS and katE katG dps mutants did not show a drastic difference in sensitivity to light suggesting that osmolarity sensitizes E. coli to those deleterious effects of visible light that are unrelated to H2O2. ..
- Ragusa S, Blanquet S, Meinnel T. Control of peptide deformylase activity by metal cations. J Mol Biol. 1998;280:515-23 pubmed..Conversely, the activity of the zinc-containing protein can be significantly improved by addition of nickel to the enzymatic assay. ..
- Tortosa P, Declerck N, Dutartre H, Lindner C, Deutscher J, Le Coq D. Sites of positive and negative regulation in the Bacillus subtilis antiterminators LicT and SacY. Mol Microbiol. 2001;41:1381-93 pubmed..Thus, for both antiterminators, the EII-mediated inhibition process seems to rely primarily on the presence of a negative charge at the first conserved histidine of the PRD1. ..
- Crozat E, Philippe N, Lenski R, Geiselmann J, Schneider D. Long-term experimental evolution in Escherichia coli. XII. DNA topology as a key target of selection. Genetics. 2005;169:523-32 pubmed..These findings define a new class of fitness-enhancing mutations and indicate that the control of DNA supercoiling can be a key target of selection in evolving bacterial populations. ..
- Quinaud M, Chabert J, Faudry E, Neumann E, Lemaire D, Pastor A, et al. The PscE-PscF-PscG complex controls type III secretion needle biogenesis in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:36293-300 pubmed publisher..Thus, PscE and PscG prevent PscF from polymerizing prematurely in the P. aeruginosa cytoplasm and keep it in a secretion prone conformation, strategies which may be shared by other pathogens that employ the T3S system for infection...
- Mazouni K, Pehau Arnaudet G, England P, Bourhy P, Saint Girons I, Picardeau M. The scc spirochetal coiled-coil protein forms helix-like filaments and binds to nucleic acids generating nucleoprotein structures. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:469-76 pubmed..These results provide the first insight into a unique DNA binding filament-forming coiled-coil protein that could play an important role in the subcellular architecture of the spirochetal microorganism. ..
- Zigha A, Rosenfeld E, Schmitt P, Duport C. Anaerobic cells of Bacillus cereus F4430/73 respond to low oxidoreduction potential by metabolic readjustments and activation of enterotoxin expression. Arch Microbiol. 2006;185:222-33 pubmed..This control was complex, involving different levels of regulation. We discussed the regulation of enterotoxin expression and the involvement of the pleiotropic regulator PlcR. ..
- Chalut C, Botella L, de Sousa d Auria C, Houssin C, Guilhot C. The nonredundant roles of two 4'-phosphopantetheinyl transferases in vital processes of Mycobacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:8511-6 pubmed..These enzymes are thus central to the biology of mycobacteria and for mycobacterial pathogenesis and represent promising targets for new antituberculosis drugs. ..