Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacterial proteins in Denmark
Topic: bacterial proteins
Publications266 found, 100 shown here
- Dienemann C, Bøggild A, Winther K, Gerdes K, Brodersen D. Crystal structure of the VapBC toxin-antitoxin complex from Shigella flexneri reveals a hetero-octameric DNA-binding assembly. J Mol Biol. 2011;414:713-22 pubmed publisher..The structure gives new insights into the inhibition of VapC toxins by VapB and provides the molecular basis for understanding transcriptional regulation through VapB dimerization. ..
- Majumder A, Cai L, Ejby M, Schmidt B, Lahtinen S, Jacobsen S, et al. Two-dimensional gel-based alkaline proteome of the probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM. Proteomics. 2012;12:1006-14 pubmed publisher..0. The present report of such data on the proteome of NCFM fundamentally complements current knowledge on protein profiles limited to the acid and neutral pH range...
- Gottschalk S, Ingmer H, Thomsen L. The lysine-peptoid hybrid LP5 maintain activity under physiological conditions and affects virulence gene expression in Staphylococcus aureus. Peptides. 2016;78:24-9 pubmed publisher..aureus, which is crucial information for designing new peptides for optimizing antimicrobial therapy. ..
- Ladefoged S, Christiansen G. A GTP-binding protein of Mycoplasma hominis: a small sized homolog to the signal recognition particle receptor FtsY. Gene. 1997;201:37-44 pubmed..Comparison of sequenced SRalpha homologue indicates that M. hominis together with Bacillus subtilis comprise a distinct cluster of similar small SRP receptors...
- Hansen F, Christensen B, Atlung T. Sequence characteristics required for cooperative binding and efficient in vivo titration of the replication initiator protein DnaA in E. coli. J Mol Biol. 2007;367:942-52 pubmed..A new set of rules for identifying efficiently titrating DnaA box regions was formulated and used to analyse sequences for which good titration data are available. ..
- Lin L, Petersen T, Jensen K, Bolund L, Kühn R, Luo Y. Fusion of SpCas9 to E. coli Rec A protein enhances CRISPR-Cas9 mediated gene knockout in mammalian cells. J Biotechnol. 2017;247:42-49 pubmed publisher..This approach may form the basis for further investigations of the applications of recombinant Cas9 proteins to fine-tuning DSB repair pathways in eukaryotic cells. ..
- Gerdes K, Poulsen L, Thisted T, Nielsen A, Martinussen J, Andreasen P. The hok killer gene family in gram-negative bacteria. New Biol. 1990;2:946-56 pubmed..The conservation of this widespread gene family in Gram-negative bacteria suggests that the genes are important to the genomes that carry them. ..
- Atlung T, Brøndsted L. Role of the transcriptional activator AppY in regulation of the cyx appA operon of Escherichia coli by anaerobiosis, phosphate starvation, and growth phase. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:5414-22 pubmed..The possibility that AppY is a third global regulator of energy metabolism genes is discussed. ..
- Andersen J, Koch B, Nielsen T, Sørensen D, Hansen M, Nybroe O, et al. Surface motility in Pseudomonas sp. DSS73 is required for efficient biological containment of the root-pathogenic microfungi Rhizoctonia solani and Pythium ultimum. Microbiology. 2003;149:37-46 pubmed..The synergistic effects of surface motility and synthesis of a battery of antifungal compounds efficiently contain and terminate growth of the microfungi...
- Frees D, Chastanet A, Qazi S, S rensen K, Hill P, Msadek T, et al. Clp ATPases are required for stress tolerance, intracellular replication and biofilm formation in Staphylococcus aureus. Mol Microbiol. 2004;54:1445-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data show that Clp proteolytic complexes and the Clp ATPases control several key processes of importance to the success of S. aureus as a pathogen...
- Andersen C, Dietrich J, Agger E, Lycke N, Lövgren K, Andersen P. The combined CTA1-DD/ISCOMs vector is an effective intranasal adjuvant for boosting prior Mycobacterium bovis BCG immunity to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Infect Immun. 2007;75:408-16 pubmed..Thus, the results demonstrate the effectiveness of mucosal vaccination with Ag85B-ESAT-6 mixed with CTA1-DD/ISCOMs as adjuvant for stimulating TB-specific protective immunity in the lung. ..
- Nordly P, Korsholm K, Pedersen E, Khilji T, Franzyk H, Jorgensen L, et al. Incorporation of a synthetic mycobacterial monomycoloyl glycerol analogue stabilizes dimethyldioctadecylammonium liposomes and potentiates their adjuvant effect in vivo. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2011;77:89-98 pubmed publisher..Thus, incorporation of 31 mol% MMG-1 into DDA liposomes results in an adjuvant system with favorable physical as well as immunological properties. ..
- Tian C, Semsey S, Mitarai N. Synchronized switching of multiple toxin-antitoxin modules by (p)ppGpp fluctuation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:8180-8189 pubmed publisher..The duration of the high (p)ppGpp state was found to be the key parameter for persistence. The (p)ppGpp-driven synchronized transition of all TA systems results in the redundancy. ..
- Kastbjerg V, Larsen M, Gram L, Ingmer H. Influence of sublethal concentrations of common disinfectants on expression of virulence genes in Listeria monocytogenes. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:303-9 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to elucidate whether the changes in virulence gene expression induced by the disinfectants have impact on virulence or other biological properties, such as antibiotic resistance. ..
- Petersen C. Escherichia coli ribosomal protein L10 is rapidly degraded when synthesized in excess of ribosomal protein L7/L12. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:431-6 pubmed..The contribution of this decay mechanism to the regulation of the rplJL operon is evaluated. ..
- Nørregaard Madsen M, McFall E, Valentin Hansen P. Organization and transcriptional regulation of the Escherichia coli K-12 D-serine tolerance locus. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:6456-61 pubmed..Additionally, the activity of the dsdXA promoter depends on the cyclic AMP receptor protein, and the two activators act in concert to synergistically activate transcription. ..
- Christensen A, Riedel K, Eberl L, Flodgaard L, Molin S, Gram L, et al. Quorum-sensing-directed protein expression in Serratia proteamaculans B5a. Microbiology. 2003;149:471-83 pubmed..This control appeared to be direct and not mediated via LipB. The data presented here demonstrate that quorum-sensing-controlled exoenzymic activities affect food quality...
- Bendtsen J, Binnewies T, Hallin P, Sicheritz Ponten T, Ussery D. Genome update: prediction of secreted proteins in 225 bacterial proteomes. Microbiology. 2005;151:1725-7 pubmed
- Radutoiu S, Madsen L, Madsen E, Jurkiewicz A, Fukai E, Quistgaard E, et al. LysM domains mediate lipochitin-oligosaccharide recognition and Nfr genes extend the symbiotic host range. EMBO J. 2007;26:3923-35 pubmed..We show that a single amino-acid variation in the LysM2 domain of NFR5 changes recognition of the Nod-factor synthesized by the DZL strain and suggests a possible binding site for bacterial lipochitin-oligosaccharide signal molecules...
- Haaber J, Moineau S, Fortier L, Hammer K. AbiV, a novel antiphage abortive infection mechanism on the chromosome of Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris MG1363. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:6528-37 pubmed publisher..The mode of action of AbiV is unknown, but the activity of AbiV prevented cleavage of the replicated phage DNA of 936-like phages. ..
- Ejby M, Fredslund F, Vujicic Zagar A, Svensson B, Slotboom D, Abou Hachem M. Structural basis for arabinoxylo-oligosaccharide capture by the probiotic Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis Bl-04. Mol Microbiol. 2013;90:1100-12 pubmed publisher..These data indicate niche adaptation within Bifidobacterium and highlight the metabolic syntrophy (cross-feeding) among the gut microbiota. ..
- Garde C, Bjarnsholt T, Givskov M, Jakobsen T, Hentzer M, Claussen A, et al. Quorum sensing regulation in Aeromonas hydrophila. J Mol Biol. 2010;396:849-57 pubmed publisher..hydrophila cells. Separate information on the ahyR and ahyI loci can be extracted, thus allowing the probe to be used in identifying the target when testing QS inhibitors...
- Nyborg M, Atlung T, Skovgaard O, Hansen F. Two types of cold sensitivity associated with the A184-->V change in the DnaA protein. Mol Microbiol. 2000;35:1202-10 pubmed..The multicopy dnaA46 strains, on the contrary, exhibit productive initiation and normal fork movement. In this case, the cold-sensitive phenotype may be due to DNA overproduction. ..
- Aarestrup F. Characterization of glycopeptide-resistant enterococcus faecium (GRE) from broilers and pigs in Denmark: genetic evidence that persistence of GRE in pig herds is associated with coselection by resistance to macrolides. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:2774-7 pubmed..The persistence of GRE in Danish pig herds after the ban of glycopeptides may be explained by the genetic link between ermB and vanA and coselection by use of macrolides for treatment and growth promotion. ..
- Zeng X, Galinier A, Saxild H. Catabolite repression of dra-nupC-pdp operon expression in Bacillus subtilis. Microbiology. 2000;146 ( Pt 11):2901-8 pubmed..By the use of in vitro gel mobility shift analysis, a specific HPr-P dependent binding of CcpA to the dra CRE site was demonstrated. ..
- Rasch M, Andersen J, Nielsen K, Flodgaard L, Christensen H, Givskov M, et al. Involvement of bacterial quorum-sensing signals in spoilage of bean sprouts. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005;71:3321-30 pubmed
- Parmeggiani A, Krab I, Watanabe T, Nielsen R, Dahlberg C, Nyborg J, et al. Enacyloxin IIa pinpoints a binding pocket of elongation factor Tu for development of novel antibiotics. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:2893-900 pubmed..This work clarifies the structural background of the action of enacyloxin IIa and compares its properties with those of kirromycin, opening new perspectives for structure-guided design of novel antibiotics. ..
- Douthwaite S, Jakobsen L, Yoshizawa S, Fourmy D. Interaction of the tylosin-resistance methyltransferase RlmA II at its rRNA target differs from the orthologue RlmA I. J Mol Biol. 2008;378:969-75 pubmed publisher..Differences in nucleotide contacts within hairpin 35 indicate how the two methyltransferases recognize their distinct targets. ..
- Kilian M, Poulsen K, Blomqvist T, Håvarstein L, Bek Thomsen M, Tettelin H, et al. Evolution of Streptococcus pneumoniae and its close commensal relatives. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2683 pubmed publisher..During their adaptation to a commensal life style, most of the lineages gradually lost the majority of genes determining virulence and became genetically distinct due to sexual isolation in their respective hosts. ..
- Feld L, Bielak E, Hammer K, Wilcks A. Characterization of a small erythromycin resistance plasmid pLFE1 from the food-isolate Lactobacillus plantarum M345. Plasmid. 2009;61:159-70 pubmed
- Buchinger E, Aachmann F, Aranko A, Valla S, Skjak Braek G, Iwai H, et al. Use of protein trans-splicing to produce active and segmentally (2)H, (15)N labeled mannuronan C5-epimerase AlgE4. Protein Sci. 2010;19:1534-43 pubmed publisher..The activity of the ligated AlgE4 was verified by two different enzyme activity assays, demonstrating that ligated AlgE4 displays the same catalytic activity as wild-type AlgE4. ..
- de Diego I, Ksiazek M, Mizgalska D, Koneru L, Golik P, Szmigielski B, et al. The outer-membrane export signal of Porphyromonas gingivalis type IX secretion system (T9SS) is a conserved C-terminal ?-sandwich domain. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23123 pubmed publisher..These data suggest structural motifs located in the two adjacent Ig-like domains dictate the processing of CTDs by the T9SS secretion pathway. ..
- Søgaard Andersen L, Pedersen H, Holst B, Valentin Hansen P. A novel function of the cAMP-CRP complex in Escherichia coli: cAMP-CRP functions as an adaptor for the CytR repressor in the deo operon. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:969-75 pubmed..The implications of this new version of negative control in E. coli on bacterial gene expression and on combinatorial gene regulation in higher organisms are discussed. ..
- Munch Petersen A, Jensen N. Analysis of the regulatory region of the Escherichia coli nupG gene, encoding a nucleoside-transport protein. Eur J Biochem. 1990;190:547-51 pubmed..In strains lacking cAMP the promoter expression is reduced and it is no longer regulated by the cytR repressor, whereas the deoR regulation is retained. ..
- Poulsen P, Andersen J, Jensen K. Molecular and mutational analysis of three genes preceding pyrE on the Escherichia coli chromosome. Mol Microbiol. 1989;3:393-404 pubmed..the orfE protein seemed without significance for pyr-gene expression in E. coli, and the mutations in orfX and orfY were without detectable phenotypes. ..
- Andersen P, Martinussen J, Hammer K. Sequence analysis and identification of the pyrKDbF operon from Lactococcus lactis including a novel gene, pyrK, involved in pyrimidine biosynthesis. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:5005-12 pubmed..Three of these were excluded as members of the pyr operon by insertional analysis (orfA) or by their opposite direction of transcription (orfE and gidB). orfC, however, seems to be the distal gene in the pyrKDbF-orfC operon. ..
- von Freiesleben U, Krekling M, Hansen F, Løbner Olesen A. The eclipse period of Escherichia coli. EMBO J. 2000;19:6240-8 pubmed..This was corroborated further by an aberrant nucleoid distribution in SeqA-deficient cells. We suggest that the SeqA protein's role in maintaining the eclipse is tied to a function in chromosome organization. ..
- Petersen C, Møller L, Valentin Hansen P. The cryptic adenine deaminase gene of Escherichia coli. Silencing by the nucleoid-associated DNA-binding protein, H-NS, and activation by insertion elements. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:31373-80 pubmed..The activating insertion elements essentially eliminated the H-NS-mediated silencing, and stimulated ade gene expression 2-3-fold independently of the H-NS protein. ..
- Møller Jensen J, Gerdes K. Plasmid segregation: spatial awareness at the molecular level. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:813-5 pubmed..Despite its relative simplicity, the plasmid partition spindle shares characteristics with the mitotic machinery of eukaryotic cells. ..
- Kjerulf A, Hansen D, Sandvang D, Hansen F, Frimodt Møller N. The prevalence of ESBL-producing E. coli and Klebsiella strains in the Copenhagen area of Denmark. APMIS. 2008;116:118-24 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the frequency of ESBL-producing E. coli and Klebsiella isolates was low in the Copenhagen area of Denmark (0.8 %). The most common ESBL genes found in our study were ctx-m and shv genes...
- Capoferri L, Leth R, ter Haar E, Mohanty A, Grootenhuis P, Vottero E, et al. Insights into regioselective metabolism of mefenamic acid by cytochrome P450 BM3 mutants through crystallography, docking, molecular dynamics, and free energy calculations. Proteins. 2016;84:383-96 pubmed publisher..Our findings confirm that use of MD and binding free-energy calculation is useful for studying biocatalysis in those cases in which enzyme binding is a critical event in determining the selective metabolism of a substrate. ..
- Danielsen E, Christiansen N, Danielsen E. Pasteurella multocida toxin: Targeting mast cell secretory granules during kiss-and-run secretion. Tissue Cell. 2016;48:1-9 pubmed publisher..Mast cell granules are known to secrete their contents by a "kiss-and-run" mechanism, and we propose that PMT may exploit this secretory mechanism to gain entry into this particular cell type. ..
- Valentin Hansen P, Søgaard Andersen L, Pedersen H. A flexible partnership: the CytR anti-activator and the cAMP-CRP activator protein, comrades in transcription control. Mol Microbiol. 1996;20:461-6 pubmed
- Ladefoged S, Christiansen G. Mycoplasma hominis expresses two variants of a cell-surface protein, one a lipoprotein, and one not. Microbiology. 1998;144 ( Pt 3):761-70 pubmed..hominis, P120' was only rarely recognized. The conserved nature of the P120 gene family indicates that it has an essential, although currently unknown, function...
- Meibom K, Søgaard Andersen L, Mironov A, Valentin Hansen P. Dissection of a surface-exposed portion of the cAMP-CRP complex that mediates transcription activation and repression. Mol Microbiol. 1999;32:497-504 pubmed..Moreover, the results provide insight into the mechanism by which CytR might prevent CRP-mediated transcription. ..
- Rasmussen A, Søgaard Andersen L. TodK, a putative histidine protein kinase, regulates timing of fruiting body morphogenesis in Myxococcus xanthus. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:5452-64 pubmed..We suggest that the signal transduction pathways defined by TodK and SdeK act in concert with the C-signal transduction pathway to control the timing of aggregation and sporulation. ..
- Bruun B, Gahrn Hansen B, Westh H, Kilian M. Clonal relationship of recent invasive Haemophilus influenzae serotype f isolates from Denmark and the United States. J Med Microbiol. 2004;53:1161-5 pubmed..The need for accurate serotyping of H. influenzae to enable reliable monitoring for Hib replacement by other capsular types is emphasized. ..
- Hasman H. The tcrB gene is part of the tcrYAZB operon conferring copper resistance in Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus faecalis. Microbiology. 2005;151:3019-25 pubmed publisher..A competition assay using these two isogenic strains showed that copper sulphate concentrations of 3 mmol l(-1) and above are sufficient to select for copper resistance...
- Mijakovic I, Petranovic D, Macek B, Cepo T, Mann M, Davies J, et al. Bacterial single-stranded DNA-binding proteins are phosphorylated on tyrosine. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:1588-96 pubmed publisher..subtilis, S.coelicolor and Escherichia coli SSBs occured while they were expressed in E.coli, indicating that tyrosine phosphorylation of SSBs is a conserved process of post-translational modification in taxonomically distant bacteria...
- Gregersen R, Neubauer C, Christensen H, Korczak B, Bojesen A, Hess M, et al. Characterization of Pasteurellaceae-like bacteria isolated from clinically affected psittacine birds. J Appl Microbiol. 2010;108:1235-43 pubmed publisher..The aim of the present investigation was to identify and characterize Pasteurella-like isolates obtained from clinically affected psittacine birds...
- Monshupanee T, Johansen S, Dahlberg A, Douthwaite S. Capreomycin susceptibility is increased by TlyA-directed 2'-O-methylation on both ribosomal subunits. Mol Microbiol. 2012;85:1194-203 pubmed publisher..The findings reveal that 2'-O-methyls at both C1409 and C1920 play a role in facilitating the inhibitory effects of capreomycin and viomycin on the bacterial ribosome. ..
- Bui X, Qvortrup K, Wolff A, Bang D, Creuzenet C. Effect of environmental stress factors on the uptake and survival of Campylobacter jejuni in Acanthamoeba castellanii. BMC Microbiol. 2012;12:232 pubmed publisher..To test this hypothesis, we examined the impact of environmental stress on expression of virulence-associated genes (ciaB, dnaJ, and htrA) of C. jejuni and on its uptake by and intracellular survival within Acanthamoeba castellanii...
- Jensen D, Vesth T, Hallin P, Pedersen A, Ussery D. Bayesian prediction of bacterial growth temperature range based on genome sequences. BMC Genomics. 2012;13 Suppl 7:S3 pubmed publisher..The program created for this study is able to efficiently distinguish between thermophilic, mesophilic and psychrophilic adapted bacterial genomes. ..
- Dandanell G. DeoR repression at-a-distance only weakly responds to changes in interoperator separation and DNA topology. Nucleic Acids Res. 1992;20:5407-12 pubmed..The degree of repression depends very little on the spacing between the operators, however, a weak periodic dependency of 8-11 bp may exist. ..
- Defoor E, Kryger M, Martinussen J. The orotate transporter encoded by oroP from Lactococcus lactis is required for orotate utilization and has utility as a food-grade selectable marker. Microbiology. 2007;153:3645-59 pubmed publisher..The findings presented indicate that oroP can be used as a powerful, food-grade selection/counterselection marker in many different organisms...
- Desmolaize B, Rose S, Warrass R, Douthwaite S. A novel Erm monomethyltransferase in antibiotic-resistant isolates of Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida. Mol Microbiol. 2011;80:184-94 pubmed publisher..Erm(42) is a novel addition to the Erm family: it is phylogenetically distant from the other Erm family members and it is unique in being a bona fide monomethyltransferase that is disseminated between bacterial pathogens. ..
- Nielsen P, Andersen A, Mols M, van der Veen S, Abee T, Kallipolitis B. Genome-wide transcriptional profiling of the cell envelope stress response and the role of LisRK and CesRK in Listeria monocytogenes. Microbiology. 2012;158:963-74 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings demonstrate central roles for two-component systems in orchestrating the cell envelope stress response in L. monocytogenes. ..
- Nielsen K, Boye M. Real-time quantitative reverse transcription-PCR analysis of expression stability of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae housekeeping genes during in vitro growth under iron-depleted conditions. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005;71:2949-54 pubmed..This study therefore lends further support to the use of real-time quantitative RT-PCR, with the glyA, tpiA, pykA, recF, and rhoAP genes as internal controls, for future similar gene expression studies in A. pleuropneumoniae. ..
- Bek A, Sauer J, Thygesen M, Duus J, Petersen B, Thirup S, et al. Improved characterization of nod factors and genetically based variation in LysM Receptor domains identify amino acids expendable for nod factor recognition in Lotus spp. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2010;23:58-66 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the importance of additional checkpoints during nitrogen-fixing symbiosis and define several amino acids in the LysM domains as expendable for perception of the two differentially carbamoylated Nod factors...
- Sengeløv G, Sørensen S. Methods for detection of conjugative plasmid transfer in aquatic environments. Curr Microbiol. 1998;37:274-80 pubmed..Thus, this counter selection system was not usable in microcosm experiments. ..
- Wadskov Hansen S, Martinussen J, Hammer K. The pyrH gene of Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris encoding UMP kinase is transcribed as part of an operon including the frr1 gene encoding ribosomal recycling factor 1. Gene. 2000;241:157-66 pubmed..lactis shows a high resemblance to that found in Bacillus subtilis as well as in Escherichia coli and several other prokaryotes ..
- Cosentino S, Voldby Larsen M, Møller Aarestrup F, Lund O. PathogenFinder--distinguishing friend from foe using bacterial whole genome sequence data. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77302 pubmed publisher..Furthermore the pathogenicity prediction web-server could be used to isolate the potential pathogenic features of both known and unknown strains. ..
- Berenstein D, Olesen K, Speck C, Skovgaard O. Genetic organization of the Vibrio harveyi DnaA gene region and analysis of the function of the V. harveyi DnaA protein in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:2533-8 pubmed..The DnaA proteins of V. harveyi and E. coli are interchangeable and function nearly identically in controlling dnaA transcription and the initiation of chromosomal DNA replication despite the evolutionary distance between these bacteria...
- Gourdon P, Liu X, Skjørringe T, Morth J, Møller L, Pedersen B, et al. Crystal structure of a copper-transporting PIB-type ATPase. Nature. 2011;475:59-64 pubmed publisher..The structure also provides a framework to analyse missense mutations in the human ATP7A and ATP7B proteins associated with Menkes' and Wilson's diseases. ..
- Larsen L, Rasmussen A, Giessing A, Jogl G, Kirpekar F. Identification and characterization of the Thermus thermophilus 5-methylcytidine (m5C) methyltransferase modifying 23 S ribosomal RNA (rRNA) base C1942. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:27593-600 pubmed publisher..thermophilus. In accordance, we find that growth of the T. thermophilus strain with an inactivated C1942 methyltransferase gene is not compromised at non-optimal temperatures. ..
- Lester C, Frimodt Møller N, Sørensen T, Monnet D, Hammerum A. In vivo transfer of the vanA resistance gene from an Enterococcus faecium isolate of animal origin to an E. faecium isolate of human origin in the intestines of human volunteers. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006;50:596-9 pubmed..g., immunocompromised patients. ..
- Raarup M, Fjorback A, Jensen S, MÃ¼ller H, Kjaergaard M, Poulsen H, et al. Enhanced yellow fluorescent protein photoconversion to a cyan fluorescent protein-like species is sensitive to thermal and diffusion conditions. J Biomed Opt. 2009;14:034039 pubmed publisher..Thus, samples should always be checked and discarded if photoconversion is observed. ..
- Seeger C, Poulsen C, Dandanell G. Identification and characterization of genes (xapA, xapB, and xapR) involved in xanthosine catabolism in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:5506-16 pubmed..In minicells, the XapB polypeptide was found primarily in the membrane fraction, indicating that XapB is a transport protein like NupG and is involved in the transport of xanthosine. ..
- Skottrup P, Sørensen G, Ksiazek M, Potempa J, Riise E. A phage display selected 7-mer peptide inhibitor of the Tannerella forsythia metalloprotease-like enzyme Karilysin can be truncated to Ser-Trp-Phe-Pro. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48537 pubmed publisher..In conclusion SWFP is the first reported inhibitor of Karilysin and can be used as a valuable tool in structure-function studies of Karilysin. ..
- Møllegaard N, Rasmussen P, Valentin Hansen P, Nielsen P. Characterization of promoter recognition complexes formed by CRP and CytR for repression and by CRP and RNA polymerase for activation of transcription on the Escherichia coli deoP2 promoter. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:17471-7 pubmed..Finally, the results show that CytR and RNA polymerase are rivals that compete for binding with CRP at deoP2 and that CytR functions as an antiactivator. ..
- Hasman H, Kempf I, Chidaine B, Cariolet R, Ersbøll A, Houe H, et al. Copper resistance in Enterococcus faecium, mediated by the tcrB gene, is selected by supplementation of pig feed with copper sulfate. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006;72:5784-9 pubmed..faecium in the animal group fed the high level of copper. Finally, we identify the tcr genes in the enterococcal species E. mundtii, E. casseliflavus, and E. gallinarum for the first time...
- Ingmer H, Atlung T. Expression and regulation of a dnaA homologue isolated from Pseudomonas putida. Mol Gen Genet. 1992;232:431-9 pubmed..These results indicate that DnaA proteins from other species than E. coli have maintained the ability to recognize the DnaA box sequence and that the conservation between the DnaA proteins reflects functionally similar domains. ..
- Kragelund C, Kong Y, van der Waarde J, Thelen K, Eikelboom D, Tandoi V, et al. Ecophysiology of different filamentous Alphaproteobacteria in industrial wastewater treatment plants. Microbiology. 2006;152:3003-12 pubmed..Only a little exo-enzymic activity was found and nearly all species had a hydrophobic cell surface. Based on knowledge of the ecophysiological potential, control strategies are suggested. ..
- Bahl M, Hansen L, Sørensen S. Construction of an extended range whole-cell tetracycline biosensor by use of the tet(M) resistance gene. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005;253:201-5 pubmed..The novel tetracycline biosensor was responsive to drug concentrations ranging from below 5 ngml(-1) to 16 microgml(-1), which represents a significant improvement of the original version. ..
- Søgaard Andersen L. Cell polarity, intercellular signalling and morphogenetic cell movements in Myxococcus xanthus. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2004;7:587-93 pubmed..This establishes a connection between cell polarity, signalling by an intercellular signal and morphogenetic cell movements during fruiting body formation. ..
- Solem C, Koebmann B, Yang F, Jensen P. The las enzymes control pyruvate metabolism in Lactococcus lactis during growth on maltose. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:6727-30 pubmed..An increase in phosphofructokinase or lactate dehydrogenase expression shifted the fermentation towards homolactic fermentation, and with a high level of expression of the las operon the fermentation was homolactic. ..
- Christiansen L, Schou S, Nygaard P, Saxild H. Xanthine metabolism in Bacillus subtilis: characterization of the xpt-pbuX operon and evidence for purine- and nitrogen-controlled expression of genes involved in xanthine salvage and catabolism. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:2540-50 pubmed..This result suggests the existence of different signalling pathways for repression of the transcription of the xpt-pbuX operon and the induction of xanthine dehydrogenase. ..
- Johansen J, Rasmussen A, Overgaard M, Valentin Hansen P. Conserved small non-coding RNAs that belong to the sigmaE regulon: role in down-regulation of outer membrane proteins. J Mol Biol. 2006;364:1-8 pubmed
- Jensen L, Garcia Migura L, Valenzuela A, Løhr M, Hasman H, Aarestrup F. A classification system for plasmids from enterococci and other Gram-positive bacteria. J Microbiol Methods. 2010;80:25-43 pubmed publisher..Among them 19 gave no positive amplicons indicating presence of rep-families not tested for in this experimental setup...
- Franch T, Thisted T, Gerdes K. Ribonuclease III processing of coaxially stacked RNA helices. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:26572-8 pubmed..This processing scheme shows an unanticipated diversity in RNase III substrates and may have a more general implication for RNA metabolism. ..
- Riber L, Fujimitsu K, Katayama T, Løbner Olesen A. Loss of Hda activity stimulates replication initiation from I-box, but not R4 mutant origins in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2009;71:107-22 pubmed publisher..Compared with the sites tested here, R4 therefore seems to contribute to initiation most critically. ..
- Pedersen M, Linnanto J, Frigaard N, Nielsen N, Miller M. A model of the protein-pigment baseplate complex in chlorosomes of photosynthetic green bacteria. Photosynth Res. 2010;104:233-43 pubmed publisher..In the final part, we present a structural model of the baseplate through combination of a recent NMR structure of CsmA and simulation of circular dichroism and optical spectra for the CsmA-BChl a complex...