Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacterial outer membrane proteins in Switzerland
Topic: bacterial outer membrane proteins
- Chami M, Guilvout I, Gregorini M, Remigy H, Müller S, Valerio M, et al. Structural insights into the secretin PulD and its trypsin-resistant core. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:37732-41 pubmed..The inner chamber is proposed to constitute a docking site for the secreted exoprotein pullulanase, whereas the outer chamber could allow displacement of the plug to open the channel and permit the exoprotein to escape. ..
- Kowarik M, Young N, Numao S, Schulz B, Hug I, Callewaert N, et al. Definition of the bacterial N-glycosylation site consensus sequence. EMBO J. 2006;25:1957-66 pubmed..Thus, bacterial N-glycosylation site selection is more specific than the eukaryotic equivalent with respect to the polypeptide acceptor sequence. ..
- Nembrini C, Sichelstiel A, Kisielow J, Kurrer M, Kopf M, Marsland B. Bacterial-induced protection against allergic inflammation through a multicomponent immunoregulatory mechanism. Thorax. 2011;66:755-63 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a localized immunoregulatory pathway that acts to protect the airways from allergic inflammation. ..
- Ramos Aires J, Plesiat P, Kocjancic Curty L, Köhler T. Selection of an antibiotic-hypersusceptible mutant of Pseudomonas aeruginosa: identification of the GlmR transcriptional regulator. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004;48:843-51 pubmed..To our knowledge GlmR is the first regulator in P. aeruginosa that affects susceptibility to a large variety of antibiotics and is therefore a potential target for novel anti-infective agents. ..
- Sennhauser G, Bukowska M, Briand C, Grutter M. Crystal structure of the multidrug exporter MexB from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Mol Biol. 2009;389:134-45 pubmed publisher..As the only missing piece of the puzzle in the MexAB-OprM system, the X-ray structure of MexB completes the molecular picture of the major pump mediating intrinsic and acquired multidrug resistance in P. aeruginosa. ..
- Koster W. Cytoplasmic membrane iron permease systems in the bacterial cell envelope. Front Biosci. 2005;10:462-77 pubmed..Their components mediate the transfer of iron, siderophores, heme and vitamin B12 into the cytosol of prokaryotes...
- Ahuja U, Thöny Meyer L. CcmD is involved in complex formation between CcmC and the heme chaperone CcmE during cytochrome c maturation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:236-43 pubmed..We postulate a function for CcmD in protein-protein interaction or membrane protein assembly required for the heme delivery process. ..
- Hoelzle L, Hoelzle K, Wittenbrink M. Recombinant major outer membrane protein (MOMP) of Chlamydophila abortus, Chlamydophila pecorum, and Chlamydia suis as antigens to distinguish chlamydial species-specific antibodies in animal sera. Vet Microbiol. 2004;103:85-90 pubmed..001). Preferential rMOMP ELISA reactivities of sera were confirmed by Western blotting. The results suggest that the entire chlamydial rMOMP could provide a species-specific serodiagnostic antigen...
- Tafer H, Hiller S, Hilty C, Fernández C, Wuthrich K. Nonrandom structure in the urea-unfolded Escherichia coli outer membrane protein X (OmpX). Biochemistry. 2004;43:860-9 pubmed..The sequence-specific NMR assignment and the physicochemical characterization of urea-denatured OmpX presented in this paper are currently used as a platform for investigations of the folding mechanism of this integral membrane protein. ..
- Bost S, Belin D. A new genetic selection identifies essential residues in SecG, a component of the Escherichia coli protein export machinery. EMBO J. 1995;14:4412-21 pubmed..Most suppressors map to secY, and several are allele-specific. Finally, SecG overexpression accelerates the kinetics of protein export, suggesting that there are two types of functional translocation complexes: with or without SecG...
- Ahuja U, Thöny Meyer L. Dynamic features of a heme delivery system for cytochrome C maturation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:52061-70 pubmed..This contradicts the idea of CcmCEF supercomplex formation. Our results favor a model that predicts CcmE to shuttle between CcmC and CcmF for heme delivery. ..
- Enggist E, Thöny Meyer L. The C-terminal flexible domain of the heme chaperone CcmE is important but not essential for its function. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:3821-7 pubmed..Soluble full-length CcmE had low activity in cytochrome c maturation, indicating the importance of the N-terminal membrane anchor for the in vivo function of CcmE. ..
- Cornelis G. The Yersinia Ysc-Yop 'type III' weaponry. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2002;3:742-52 pubmed..Type III secretion is key to the pathogenesis of bacteria from the Yersinia genus...
- Meier P, Troller R, Grivea I, Syrogiannopoulos G, Aebi C. The outer membrane proteins UspA1 and UspA2 of Moraxella catarrhalis are highly conserved in nasopharyngeal isolates from young children. Vaccine. 2002;20:1754-60 pubmed..A vaccine capable of inducing a bactericidal immune response against the mAb17C7- and/or mAb24B5-reactive epitopes appears promising...
- Dutzler R, Wang Y, Rizkallah P, Rosenbusch J, Schirmer T. Crystal structures of various maltooligosaccharides bound to maltoporin reveal a specific sugar translocation pathway. Structure. 1996;4:127-34 pubmed..The glucosyl-binding subsites at the channel constriction confer stereospecificity to the channel along with the ability to scavenge substrate at low concentrations. ..
- Henze U, Berger Bachi B. Staphylococcus aureus penicillin-binding protein 4 and intrinsic beta-lactam resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995;39:2415-22 pubmed..The abcA-pbp4-tagD gene cluster was located in the SmaI-D fragment in the S. aureus 8325 chromosome in close proximity to the RNA polymerase gene rpoB...
- Fernandez C, Adeishvili K, Wuthrich K. Transverse relaxation-optimized NMR spectroscopy with the outer membrane protein OmpX in dihexanoyl phosphatidylcholine micelles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:2358-63 pubmed
- Cowan S, Garavito R, Jansonius J, Jenkins J, Karlsson R, Konig N, et al. The structure of OmpF porin in a tetragonal crystal form. Structure. 1995;3:1041-50 pubmed..The tetragonal crystal structure has provided the starting model for the phasing of neutron diffraction data obtained from this crystal form, as described in an accompanying article. ..
- Ren Q, Ahuja U, Thöny Meyer L. A bacterial cytochrome c heme lyase. CcmF forms a complex with the heme chaperone CcmE and CcmH but not with apocytochrome c. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:7657-63 pubmed..We propose that CcmFH forms a bacterial heme lyase complex for the transfer of heme from CcmE to apocytochrome c. ..
- Capitani G, Eidam O, Grutter M. Evidence for a novel domain of bacterial outer membrane ushers. Proteins. 2006;65:816-23 pubmed..Several mutations reported to abolish in vivo pilus formation cluster in this region, underlining its functional importance. ..
- Bjelic S, Karshikoff A, Jelesarov I. Stability and folding/unfolding kinetics of the homotrimeric coiled coil Lpp-56. Biochemistry. 2006;45:8931-9 pubmed..Lpp-56 is the first coiled coil for which a high unfolding kinetic barrier has been experimentally demonstrated. ..
- Pedruzzi I, Rosenbusch J, Locher K. Inactivation in vitro of the Escherichia coli outer membrane protein FhuA by a phage T5-encoded lipoprotein. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998;168:119-25 pubmed..An in vitro stoichiometry of 10:1 has been calculated for the phage-encoded T5 lipoprotein to FhuA protein complex. ..
- Ahuja U, Thöny Meyer L. The membrane anchors of the heme chaperone CcmE and the periplasmic thioredoxin CcmG are functionally important. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:216-22 pubmed..However, the low level of holo-CcmE formed in the chimera is transferred efficiently to cytochrome c, indicating that heme delivery from CcmE does not involve the membrane anchor. ..
- Reimmann C, Serino L, Beyeler M, Haas D. Dihydroaeruginoic acid synthetase and pyochelin synthetase, products of the pchEF genes, are induced by extracellular pyochelin in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Microbiology. 1998;144 ( Pt 11):3135-48 pubmed..Thus, autoinduction by pyochelin (or ferric pyochelin) and repression by iron ensure a sensitive control of the pyochelin pathway in P. aeruginosa. ..
- Michel L, Bachelard A, Reimmann C. Ferripyochelin uptake genes are involved in pyochelin-mediated signalling in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Microbiology. 2007;153:1508-18 pubmed publisher..It is concluded from this that pyochelin-mediated signalling operates to a large extent via the ferripyochelin transport system...
- Perrenoud A, Sauer U. Impact of global transcriptional regulation by ArcA, ArcB, Cra, Crp, Cya, Fnr, and Mlc on glucose catabolism in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:3171-9 pubmed..coli. This control goes well beyond the previously known ArcA-dependent regulation of the TCA cycle during microaerobiosis. ..
- Schulz H, Fabianek R, Pellicioli E, Hennecke H, Thony Meyer L. Heme transfer to the heme chaperone CcmE during cytochrome c maturation requires the CcmC protein, which may function independently of the ABC-transporter CcmAB. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:6462-7 pubmed..CcmD was found to be involved in stabilizing the heme chaperone CcmE in the membrane. We propose a heme-trafficking pathway as part of a substantially revised model for cytochrome c maturation in E. coli...
- Saint N, Lou K, Widmer C, Luckey M, Schirmer T, Rosenbusch J. Structural and functional characterization of OmpF porin mutants selected for larger pore size. II. Functional characterization. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:20676-80 pubmed..L., Saint, N., Prilipov, A., Rummel, G., Benson, S.A., Rosenbusch, J.P., and Schirmer, T. (1996) J. Biol. Chem. 271, 20669-20675). In most, but not all, cases, the structural changes explain the functional alterations observed. ..
- Fernández C, Hilty C, Wider G, Güntert P, Wuthrich K. NMR structure of the integral membrane protein OmpX. J Mol Biol. 2004;336:1211-21 pubmed
- Wirth C, Condemine G, Boiteux C, Berneche S, Schirmer T, Peneff C. NanC crystal structure, a model for outer-membrane channels of the acidic sugar-specific KdgM porin family. J Mol Biol. 2009;394:718-31 pubmed publisher..3 A. The channel is lined by two strings of basic residues facing each other across the pore, a feature that appears largely conserved within the KdgM family and is likely to facilitate the diffusion of acidic oligosaccharides. ..
- Fernández C, Wuthrich K. NMR solution structure determination of membrane proteins reconstituted in detergent micelles. FEBS Lett. 2003;555:144-50 pubmed
- Braun T, Philippsen A, Wirtz S, Borgnia M, Agre P, Kuhlbrandt W, et al. The 3.7 A projection map of the glycerol facilitator GlpF: a variant of the aquaporin tetramer. EMBO Rep. 2000;1:183-9 pubmed..In projection, GlpF is similar to AQP1, the erythrocyte water channel. However, the major density minimum within each monomer is distinctly larger in GlpF than in AQP1. ..
- Ren Q, Thony Meyer L. Physical interaction of CcmC with heme and the heme chaperone CcmE during cytochrome c maturation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:32591-6 pubmed..We propose that CcmC, CcmE, and heme interact directly with each other, establishing a periplasmic heme delivery pathway for cytochrome c maturation. ..
- Vögeli B, Pervushin K. TROSY experiment for refinement of backbone psi and phi by simultaneous measurements of cross-correlated relaxation rates and 3,4J(H alpha HN) coupling constants. J Biomol NMR. 2002;24:291-300 pubmed..coli Heme Chaperon protein CcmE is described. Overall good agreement is achieved between psi and phi angles measured with the new experiment and the average values determined from an ensemble of 20 NMR conformers. ..
- Burnens A, Stucki U, Nicolet J, Frey J. Identification and characterization of an immunogenic outer membrane protein of Campylobacter jejuni. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:2826-32 pubmed..jejuni and is highly immunogenic. It is therefore a good candidate as an antigen for the serological diagnosis of past C. jejuni infections...
- Van Gelder P, Dutzler R, Dumas F, Koebnik R, Schirmer T. Sucrose transport through maltoporin mutants of Escherichia coli. Protein Eng. 2001;14:943-8 pubmed..Binding, however, was observed for the double mutant that had the obstructing residues truncated to alanines. ..
- Spaniol V, Troller R, Aebi C. Physiologic cold shock increases adherence of Moraxella catarrhalis to and secretion of interleukin 8 in human upper respiratory tract epithelial cells. J Infect Dis. 2009;200:1593-601 pubmed publisher..catarrhalis. These data indicate that cold shock at a physiologically relevant temperature of 26 degrees C affects the nasopharyngeal host-pathogen interaction and may contribute to M. catarrhalis virulence...
- Lou K, Saint N, Prilipov A, Rummel G, Benson S, Rosenbusch J, et al. Structural and functional characterization of OmpF porin mutants selected for larger pore size. I. Crystallographic analysis. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:20669-75 pubmed..Thus, the large hollow beta-barrel motif can be regarded as an autonomous structure. ..
- Burmann B, Hiller S. Solution NMR studies of membrane-protein-chaperone complexes. Chimia (Aarau). 2012;66:759-63 pubmed publisher..Thirdly, we use amino acid mutation analysis to show that the interaction of OmpX to Skp is not dominated by the two most hydrophobic segments of OmpX. ..
- Schirmer T, Keller T, Wang Y, Rosenbusch J. Structural basis for sugar translocation through maltoporin channels at 3.1 A resolution. Science. 1995;267:512-4 pubmed
- Letellier L, Locher K, Plançon L, Rosenbusch J. Modeling ligand-gated receptor activity. FhuA-mediated ferrichrome efflux from lipid vesicles triggered by phage T5. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:1448-51 pubmed..The assay is rapid, reliable, and specific, because other bacteriophages, such as Phi80, fail to trigger channel opening of the FhuA receptor. ..
- Cowan S, Schirmer T, Rummel G, Steiert M, Ghosh R, Pauptit R, et al. Crystal structures explain functional properties of two E. coli porins. Nature. 1992;358:727-33 pubmed..The structures explain at the molecular level functional characteristics and their alterations by known mutations. ..
- Pilo P, Martig S, Frey J, Vilei E. Antigenic and genetic characterisation of lipoprotein lppC from Mycoplasma mycoides subsp. mycoides SC. Vet Res. 2003;34:761-75 pubmed..The recombinant protein was used on immunoblots for serological analysis of sera from cattle that were naturally or experimentally infected with M. mycoides subsp. mycoides SC...
- Scheuring S, Stahlberg H, Chami M, Houssin C, Rigaud J, Engel A. Charting and unzipping the surface layer of Corynebacterium glutamicum with the atomic force microscope. Mol Microbiol. 2002;44:675-84 pubmed..The results provide a basis for understanding the amazing stability of this protective bacterial surface coat. ..
- Pervushin K, Vögeli B. Observation of individual transitions in magnetically equivalent spin systems. J Am Chem Soc. 2003;125:9566-7 pubmed..The use of the experiments for the measurement of RDCs is demonstrated with two proteins, one weakly aligned by means of Pf1 phages and the other using a naturally present paramagnetic heme group...
- Hoelzle L, Hoelzle K, Wittenbrink M. Expression of the major outer membrane protein (MOMP) of Chlamydophila abortus, Chlamydophila pecorum, and Chlamydia suis in Escherichia coli using an arabinose-inducible plasmid vector. J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health. 2003;50:383-9 pubmed..When testing rMOMP antisera against rMOMP and EB antigens, marked cross-reactivities were detected between the three species. Using EB antisera and rMOMPs as antigens, a significant species-specific reactivity was measured...
- Stahlberg H, Braun T, de Groot B, Philippsen A, Borgnia M, Agre P, et al. The 6.9-A structure of GlpF: a basis for homology modeling of the glycerol channel from Escherichia coli. J Struct Biol. 2000;132:133-41 pubmed..This property may partially explain the contradiction of glycerol diffusion but limited water permeation capacity. ..
- Basle A, Rummel G, Storici P, Rosenbusch J, Schirmer T. Crystal structure of osmoporin OmpC from E. coli at 2.0 A. J Mol Biol. 2006;362:933-42 pubmed..The OmpC structure suggests that not pore size, but electrostatic pore potential and particular atomic details of the pore linings are the critical parameters that physiologically distinguish OmpC from OmpF. ..
- Schulz H, Pellicioli E, Thony Meyer L. New insights into the role of CcmC, CcmD and CcmE in the haem delivery pathway during cytochrome c maturation by a complete mutational analysis of the conserved tryptophan-rich motif of CcmC. Mol Microbiol. 2000;37:1379-88 pubmed..We propose that the three membrane proteins CcmC, CcmD and CcmE interact directly with each other, establishing a cytoplasm to periplasm haem delivery pathway for cytochrome c maturation. ..
- Abdo E, Nicolet J, Frey J. Antigenic and genetic characterization of lipoprotein LppQ from Mycoplasma mycoides subsp. mycoides SC. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2000;7:588-95 pubmed..It was used for serodetection of cattle infected with M. mycoides subsp. mycoides SC, in which it was detected postinfection for significantly longer than conventional serological test reactions. ..
- Hu K, Vögeli B, Pervushin K. Side-chain H and C resonance assignment in protonated/partially deuterated proteins using an improved 3D(13)C-detected HCC-TOCSY. J Magn Reson. 2005;174:200-8 pubmed..It is predicted that this method should be suitable for the assignment of methyl (13)C and (1)H chemical shifts of methyl protonated, highly deuterated and (13)C-labeled proteins with even higher molecular weight. ..
- Koebnik R, Locher K, Van Gelder P. Structure and function of bacterial outer membrane proteins: barrels in a nutshell. Mol Microbiol. 2000;37:239-53 pubmed..Our review is aimed at discussing their common principles and peculiarities as well as open questions associated with them. ..
- Ahuja U, Rozhkova A, Glockshuber R, Thöny Meyer L, Einsle O. Helix swapping leads to dimerization of the N-terminal domain of the c-type cytochrome maturation protein CcmH from Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:2779-86 pubmed publisher..We propose that an altered environment of the functional motif may help to discern between the two redox partners CcmG and apocytochrome c. ..
- Hilty C, Wider G, Fernández C, Wuthrich K. Stereospecific assignments of the isopropyl methyl groups of the membrane protein OmpX in DHPC micelles. J Biomol NMR. 2003;27:377-82 pubmed
- Signorell G, Chami M, Condemine G, Schenk A, Philippsen A, Engel A, et al. Projection maps of three members of the KdgM outer membrane protein family. J Struct Biol. 2007;160:395-403 pubmed..The predicted transmembrane beta-barrels have a high similarity in the arrangement of the putative beta-strands and the loops, but do not match those of OmpG, a related protein porin whose structure was solved. ..
- Enggist E, Schneider M, Schulz H, Thöny Meyer L. Biochemical and mutational characterization of the heme chaperone CcmE reveals a heme binding site. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:175-83 pubmed..Isolation and characterization of the heme-binding peptides obtained after a tryptic digest of wild-type and H130C CcmE support the hypothesis that heme is bound covalently at a vinyl group. ..
- van Gelder P, Dumas F, Bartoldus I, Saint N, Prilipov A, Winterhalter M, et al. Sugar transport through maltoporin of Escherichia coli: role of the greasy slide. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:2994-9 pubmed
- Vasilevsky S, Stojanov M, Greub G, Baud D. Chlamydial polymorphic membrane proteins: regulation, function and potential vaccine candidates. Virulence. 2016;7:11-22 pubmed publisher..Thus, Pmps might be important not only for the pathogenesis of chlamydial infection, but also as potential candidate vaccine proteins. ..
- Locher K, Rees B, Koebnik R, Mitschler A, Moulinier L, Rosenbusch J, et al. Transmembrane signaling across the ligand-gated FhuA receptor: crystal structures of free and ferrichrome-bound states reveal allosteric changes. Cell. 1998;95:771-8 pubmed..Our findings reveal the mechanism of signal transmission and suggest how the energy-transducing TonB complex senses ligand binding...