Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacterial genes in Norway
Topic: bacterial genes
- Nilsen I, Bakke I, Vader A, Olsvik O, El Gewely M. Isolation of cmr, a novel Escherichia coli chloramphenicol resistance gene encoding a putative efflux pump. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:3188-93 pubmed..We provide evidence strongly suggesting that the resistance mediated by Cmr involves active exclusion of chloramphenicol. ..
- Jørgensen H, Fjaervik E, Hakvåg S, Bruheim P, Bredholt H, Klinkenberg G, et al. Candicidin biosynthesis gene cluster is widely distributed among Streptomyces spp. isolated from the sediments and the neuston layer of the Trondheim fjord, Norway. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:3296-303 pubmed publisher..The latter result suggested that the 250-kb plasmid contains the complete can gene cluster and could be responsible for conjugative transfer of this cluster to other streptomycetes. ..
- Diep D, Havarstein L, Nes I. A bacteriocin-like peptide induces bacteriocin synthesis in Lactobacillus plantarum C11. Mol Microbiol. 1995;18:631-9 pubmed..Neither synthetic nor expressed plantaricin A from the heterologous system possesses any bacteriocin activity, suggesting that plantaricin A is primarily an induction factor and not a bacteriocin as claimed earlier. ..
- Havarstein L, Coomaraswamy G, Morrison D. An unmodified heptadecapeptide pheromone induces competence for genetic transformation in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:11140-4 pubmed..The hypothesis is presented that this transport protein is encoded by comA, previously shown to be required for elaboration of the pneumococcal competence activator. ..
- Anensen H, Provan F, Lian A, Reinertsen S, Ueno Y, Matsuda A, et al. Mutations induced by 5-formyl-2'-deoxyuridine in Escherichia coli include base substitutions that can arise from mispairs of 5-formyluracil with guanine, cytosine and thymine. Mutat Res. 2001;476:99-107 pubmed..It, thus, appears that cell growth in the presence of 5-fodUrd may represent a good model for elucidating the cellular effects of 5-foU residues in DNA. ..
- Jensen J, Peters N, Bhuvaneswari T. Redundancy in periplasmic binding protein-dependent transport systems for trehalose, sucrose, and maltose in Sinorhizobium meliloti. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:2978-86 pubmed..Tests for root colonization, nodulation, and nitrogen fixation suggest that uptake of disaccharides can be critical for colonization of alfalfa roots but is not important for nodulation and nitrogen fixation per se...
- M retr T, Naterstad K, Wang E, Aasen I, Chaillou S, Zagorec M, et al. Sakacin P non-producing Lactobacillus sakei strains contain homologues of the sakacin P gene cluster. Res Microbiol. 2005;156:949-60 pubmed publisher..Expression experiments also suggested that some of the spp homologues maintained their function in non-producing strains...
- Olsvik B, Olsen I, Tenover F. The tet(Q) gene in bacteria isolated from patients with refractory periodontal disease. Oral Microbiol Immunol. 1994;9:251-5 pubmed..The probe hybridized with a different size fragment in all the isolates. This study extends the number of species that carry the tet(Q) gene to include several outside the genera Prevotella and Bacteroides...
- Bjorland J, Bratlie M, Steinum T. The smr gene resides on a novel plasmid pSP187 identified in a Staphylococcus pasteuri isolate recovered from unpasteurized milk. Plasmid. 2007;57:145-55 pubmed..The novel smr-containing plasmid pSP187 is the first member of RCR group VI to be identified in a Staphylococcus sp. ..
- Johansen T, Holm T, Guddal P, Sletten K, Haugli F, Little C. Cloning and sequencing of the gene encoding the phosphatidylcholine-preferring phospholipase C of Bacillus cereus. Gene. 1988;65:293-304 pubmed..coli. The cloning and sequencing described here complete the first step toward using in vitro mutagenesis for investigations of the structure-function relationships of B. cereus phospholipase C. ..
- Fagerlund A, Ween O, Lund T, Hardy S, Granum P. Genetic and functional analysis of the cytK family of genes in Bacillus cereus. Microbiology. 2004;150:2689-97 pubmed publisher..It is likely that CytK-2 toxins contribute to the enterotoxicity of several strains of B. cereus, although not all of the CytK-2 toxins may be as harmful as the CytK-1 originally isolated...
- Andresen P, Kaasen I, Styrvold O, Boulnois G, Strøm A. Molecular cloning, physical mapping and expression of the bet genes governing the osmoregulatory choline-glycine betaine pathway of Escherichia coli. J Gen Microbiol. 1988;134:1737-46 pubmed..Salmonella typhimurium, which carried the bet region of E. coli in the broad-host-range vector pRK293 expressed the three Bet activities and displayed increased osmotic tolerance in the presence of choline. ..
- Holtsmark I, Mantzilas D, Eijsink V, Brurberg M. Purification, characterization, and gene sequence of michiganin A, an actagardine-like lantibiotic produced by the tomato pathogen Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. michiganensis. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006;72:5814-21 pubmed..sepedonicus, the causal agent of ring rot of potatoes, with MICs in the low nanomolar range. Thus, michiganin A may have some potential in biological control of potato ring rot. ..
- Mao Y, Bakken L, Zhao L, Frostegard A. Functional robustness and gene pools of a wastewater nitrification reactor: comparison of dispersed and intact biofilms when stressed by low oxygen and low pH. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2008;66:167-80 pubmed publisher..The contrasting performance of DB and IB suggests that the biofilm structure, with anoxic/micro-oxic zones, helps to stabilize functions during anoxic spells and low pH. ..
- Steigedal M, Sletta H, Moreno S, Maerk M, Christensen B, Bjerkan T, et al. The Azotobacter vinelandii AlgE mannuronan C-5-epimerase family is essential for the in vivo control of alginate monomer composition and for functional cyst formation. Environ Microbiol. 2008;10:1760-70 pubmed publisher..However, for all strains tested the alginate composition varied somewhat as a response to the growth conditions...
- Vebø H, Solheim M, Snipen L, Nes I, Brede D. Comparative genomic analysis of pathogenic and probiotic Enterococcus faecalis isolates, and their transcriptional responses to growth in human urine. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12489 pubmed publisher..faecalis strain may to a great extent be determined by presence of fitness and virulence factors, rather than the level of expression of such traits...
- Berdal K, Bjørås M, Bjelland S, Seeberg E. Cloning and expression in Escherichia coli of a gene for an alkylbase DNA glycosylase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae; a homologue to the bacterial alkA gene. EMBO J. 1990;9:4563-8 pubmed..The yeast enzyme was able to excise 7-methylguanine as well as 3-methyladenine from dimethyl sulphate treated DNA, confirming the related nature of this enzyme to the AlkA DNA glycosylase from E. coli. ..
- Tøndervik A, Torgersen H, Botnmark H, Strøm A. Transposon mutations in the 5' end of glnD, the gene for a nitrogen regulatory sensor, that suppress the osmosensitive phenotype caused by otsBA lesions in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:4218-26 pubmed..Our data indicate that there exists a link between osmotic stress and the nitrogen response. ..
- Norheim G, Rosenqvist E, Aseffa A, Yassin M, Mengistu G, Kassu A, et al. Characterization of Neisseria meningitidis isolates from recent outbreaks in Ethiopia and comparison with those recovered during the epidemic of 1988 to 1989. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:861-71 pubmed..The occurrence of new antigenic structures in strains sharing the same serogroup, PorA, and PorB may help explain the replacement of ST-5 by ST-7 in the African meningitis belt...
- Faye T, Brede D, Langsrud T, Nes I, Holo H. Prevalence of the genes encoding propionicin T1 and protease-activated antimicrobial peptide and their expression in classical propionibacteria. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2004;70:2240-4 pubmed..The limited antimicrobial activity exhibited by the strains lacking orf2 further suggests that this putative ABC transporter plays an important role in propionicin T1 activity...
- Sekurova O, Brautaset T, Sletta H, Borgos S, Jakobsen M Ø, Ellingsen T, et al. In vivo analysis of the regulatory genes in the nystatin biosynthetic gene cluster of Streptomyces noursei ATCC 11455 reveals their differential control over antibiotic biosynthesis. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:1345-54 pubmed
- Davidsen T, Rødland E, Lagesen K, Seeberg E, Rognes T, Tønjum T. Biased distribution of DNA uptake sequences towards genome maintenance genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:1050-8 pubmed..Furthermore, uptake of such genes could provide a mechanism for facilitated recovery from DNA damage after genotoxic stress...
- Dahl K, Lundblad E, Rokenes T, Olsvik O, Sundsfjord A. Genetic linkage of the vanB2 gene cluster to Tn5382 in vancomycin-resistant enterococci and characterization of two novel insertion sequences. Microbiology. 2000;146 ( Pt 6):1469-79 pubmed publisher..These isolates showed related PFGE patterns, suggesting possible clonal spread of a VRE strain harbouring a Tn5382-vanB2-ISEnfa200 element linked to a pbp5 gene conferring ampicillin resistance...
- Tvermyr M, Kristiansen B, Kristensen T. Cloning, sequence analysis and expression in E. coli of the DNA polymerase I gene from Chloroflexus aurantiacus, a green nonsulfur eubacterium. Genet Anal. 1998;14:75-83 pubmed
- Synstad B, Emmerhoff O, Sirevåg R. Malate dehydrogenase from the green gliding bacterium Chloroflexus aurantiacus is phylogenetically related to lactic dehydrogenases. Arch Microbiol. 1996;165:346-53 pubmed..aurantiacus mdh functioned in E. coli. When these sequences were deleted, the expression in E. coli was reduced dramatically. ..
- T njum T, Freitag N, Namork E, Koomey M. Identification and characterization of pilG, a highly conserved pilus-assembly gene in pathogenic Neisseria. Mol Microbiol. 1995;16:451-64 pubmed..These findings could not be ascribed to pilin-gene alterations or to polarity exerted on pilD expression. The results indicated that PilG exerts its own independent role in neisserial pilus biogenesis...
- Aasland R, Coleman J, Holck A, Smith C, Raetz C, Kleppe K. Identity of the 17-kilodalton protein, a DNA-binding protein from Escherichia coli, and the firA gene product. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:5916-8 pubmed..coli restriction maps, and by direct comparison of the N-terminal amino acid sequence of histonelike protein I and the 17-kilodalton protein. ..
- Johansen T, Haugli F, Ikezawa H, Little C. Bacillus cereus strain SE-1: nucleotide sequence of the sphingomyelinase C gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:10370 pubmed
- Holck A, Kleppe K. Cloning and sequencing of the gene for the DNA-binding 17K protein of Escherichia coli. Gene. 1988;67:117-24 pubmed..The Mr of the mature polypeptide was 15,674. An E. coli transformant containing the skp gene on the plasmid pGAH317 was shown to overproduce the gene product some 20-fold. ..