Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacterial genes in Japan
Topic: bacterial genes
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- Xu M, Iida T, Yamamoto K, Takarada Y, Miwatani T, Honda T. Demonstration and characterization of simultaneous production of a thermostable direct hemolysin (TDH/I) and a TDH-related hemolysin (TRHx) by a clinically isolated Vibrio parahaemolyticus strain, TH3766. Infect Immun. 1994;62:166-71 pubmed..Thus, these findings suggest that the TH3766 strain produces two types of hemolysins simultaneously. This is the first evidence that a strain of V. parahaemolyticus produces two types of toxins of the TDH-TRH family at the same time...
- Yasuda T, Nagata T, Ohmori H. Multicopy suppressors of the cold-sensitive phenotype of the pcsA68 (dinD68) mutation in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:3854-9 pubmed..It is similar in size and sequence to ImpC of the Salmonella typhimurium plasmid TP110 and to a protein (ORFfs) of the retronphage phi R67, both of which are also under the control of LexA. ..
- Shiozawa T, Ueguchi C, Mizuno T. The rpoD gene functions as a multicopy suppressor for mutations in the chaperones, CbpA, DnaJ and DnaK, in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1996;138:245-50 pubmed..The suppressor gene was identified as rpoD, the gene that encodes the major sigma 70. The biological implications of this finding are examined and discussed. ..
- Ihara K, Watanabe S, Sugimura K, Katagiri I, Mukohata Y. Identification of proteolipid from an extremely halophilic archaeon Halobacterium salinarum as an N,N'-dicyclohexyl-carbodiimide binding subunit of ATP synthase. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1997;341:267-72 pubmed..J. Bult et al. (1996) Science 273, 1058-1073], proteolipids from archaea seem to have diverse characteristics in comparison with those from eubacteria or from eukaryotes. ..
- Inagaki K, Nakahira K, Mukai K, Tamura T, Tanaka H. Gene cloning and characterization of an acidic xylanase from Acidobacterium capsulatum. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1998;62:1061-7 pubmed..0 and 65 degrees C, and is stable pH between 3.0 and 8.0. The K(m) and Vmax with oat spelt xylan as a substrate at pH 5.0 and 30 degrees C are 3.5 mg/ml and 403 mumol/min/mg...
- Kuzuyama T, Takahashi S, Seto H. Construction and characterization of Escherichia coli disruptants defective in the yaeM gene. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1999;63:776-8 pubmed..This result clearly shows that the yaeM gene is indeed involved in this pathway in E. coli. ..
- Ishikawa K, Mihara Y, Gondoh K, Suzuki E, Asano Y. X-ray structures of a novel acid phosphatase from Escherichia blattae and its complex with the transition-state analog molybdate. EMBO J. 2000;19:2412-23 pubmed
- Hanada N, Fukushima K, Nomura Y, Senpuku H, Hayakawa M, Mukasa H, et al. Cloning and nucleotide sequence analysis of the Streptococcus sobrinus gtfU gene that produces a highly branched water-soluble glucan. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1570:75-9 pubmed..coli MD66 clone was similar to S. sobrinus GTF-S1. Biological properties and a linkage analysis of the glucans by 13C NMR spectrometry revealed that the protein produced by the E. coli MD66 clone was GTF-S1...
- Cantera J, Kawasaki H, Seki T. The nitrogen-fixing gene (nifH) of Rhodopseudomonas palustris: a case of lateral gene transfer?. Microbiology. 2004;150:2237-46 pubmed
- Ogawa T, Okazaki T. Concurrent transcription from the gid and mioC promoters activates replication of an Escherichia coli minichromosome. Mol Gen Genet. 1991;230:193-200 pubmed..These two promoters are suggested to be under stringent control. ..
- Hatakeyama K, Kohama K, Vert s A, Kobayashi M, Kurusu Y, Yukawa H. Analysis of the biotin biosynthesis pathway in coryneform bacteria: cloning and sequencing of the bioB gene from Brevibacterium flavum. DNA Seq. 1993;4:87-93 pubmed..B. flavum mutants obtained by in vivo disruption of the bioB gene lost their ability to grow on minimal medium containing dethiobiotin, indicating that the bioB gene product is necessary for the conversion of dethiobiotin to biotin...
- Zenno S, Saigo K. Identification of the genes encoding NAD(P)H-flavin oxidoreductases that are similar in sequence to Escherichia coli Fre in four species of luminous bacteria: Photorhabdus luminescens, Vibrio fischeri, Vibrio harveyi, and Vibrio orientalis. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:3544-51 pubmed..fischeri. Although Fre-like flavin reductases are highly similar in sequence to luxG gene products (LuxGs), Fre-like flavin reductases and LuxGs appear to constitute two separate groups of flavin-associated proteins. ..
- Matsumura K, Ito K, Kawazu Y, Mikuni O, Nakamura Y. Suppression of temperature-sensitive defects of polypeptide release factors RF-1 and RF-2 by mutations or by an excess of RF-3 in Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1996;258:588-99 pubmed..Taking these and other results into consideration, RF-3 is likely to interact functionally and cooperatively with the release factors RF-1 and RF-2 in Escherichia coli. ..
- Tsuchiya K, Ikeda I, Tsuchiya T, Kimura T. Cloning and expression of an intracellular alkaline protease gene from alkalophilic Thermoactinomyces sp. HS682. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1997;61:298-303 pubmed..0-12.0 and below 60 degrees C in the presence of Ca2+. The temperature and pH optima of the enzyme were 65 degrees C and pH 11.0, respectively. The enzyme was inhibited by DFP and PMSF, but not by MIA and EDTA. ..
- Fushimi K, Bai L, Marumo F, Sasaki S. Isolation of a gene encoding nodulin-like intrinsic protein of Escherichia coli. Biochem Mol Biol Int. 1997;41:995-1003 pubmed..Expression of BniP in Xenopus oocytes induced slight increase in osmotic water permeability, but not glycerol or ion permeability. Our results showed that BniP is a new member of the MIP channel-forming proteins of E. coli. ..
- Tanaka K, Samura K, Kano Y. Structural and functional analysis of pTB6 from Bifidobacterium longum. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2005;69:422-5 pubmed publisher..We constructed an immobile shuttle vector from pTB6 and pUC18, which transformed B. longum with a high efficiency of 2.5 x 10(6) transformants/microg DNA...
- Mima T, Sekiya H, Mizushima T, Kuroda T, Tsuchiya T. Gene cloning and properties of the RND-type multidrug efflux pumps MexPQ-OpmE and MexMN-OprM from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Microbiol Immunol. 2005;49:999-1002 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that MexPQ-OpmE and MexMN-OprM are functional multidrug efflux pumps when expressed in P. aeruginosa...
- Ahmed A, Hussein A, Shimamoto T. Proteus mirabilis clinical isolate harbouring a new variant of Salmonella genomic island 1 containing the multiple antibiotic resistance region. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2007;59:184-90 pubmed..In this study, we identified a new variant SGI1 containing the multiple resistance genomic region in a multidrug-resistant strain of P. mirabilis. This is the first report for SGI1 in a genus other than Salmonella. ..
- Asakura M, Samosornsuk W, Taguchi M, Kobayashi K, Misawa N, Kusumoto M, et al. Comparative analysis of cytolethal distending toxin (cdt) genes among Campylobacter jejuni, C. coli and C. fetus strains. Microb Pathog. 2007;42:174-83 pubmed..jejuni and C. fetus varied among strains, however, any C. coli strains exhibited Cdt activity on HeLa cells. These data indicate that the cdt gene may have a potential for virulence factor at least in C. jejuni and C. fetus...
- Ishijima S, Kita K, Ahmad I, Ishizuka T, Taira M, Tatibana M. Expression of rat phosphoribosylpyrophosphate synthetase subunits I and II in Escherichia coli. Isolation and characterization of the recombinant isoforms. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:15693-7 pubmed..Inhibition of rPRS I and rPRS II by 0.3 mM ADP was 87 and 54%, respectively, and inhibition by 1 mM GDP was 93 and 24%, respectively. rPRS II was 180-fold more sensitive than rPRS I to heat inactivation at 49 degrees C. ..
- Taguchi H, Ohta T. D-lactate dehydrogenase is a member of the D-isomer-specific 2-hydroxyacid dehydrogenase family. Cloning, sequencing, and expression in Escherichia coli of the D-lactate dehydrogenase gene of Lactobacillus plantarum. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:12588-94 pubmed..The conserved residues in this family appear to be the residues involved in the substrate binding and the catalytic reaction, and thus to be targets for site-directed mutagenesis...
- Tokishita S, Kojima A, Aiba H, Mizuno T. Transmembrane signal transduction and osmoregulation in Escherichia coli. Functional importance of the periplasmic domain of the membrane-located protein kinase, EnvZ. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:6780-5 pubmed..These results imply the functional importance of the periplasmic domain of the EnvZ protein for modulation of the kinase/phosphatase activity exhibited by the cytoplasmic domain in response to an environmental osmotic stimulus. ..
- Miura Masuda A, Ikeda H. The DNA gyrase of Escherichia coli participates in the formation of a spontaneous deletion by recA-independent recombination in vivo. Mol Gen Genet. 1990;220:345-52 pubmed..These results indicate that the DNA gyrase of E. coli participated in the in vivo deletion formation resulting from the direct repeats. ..
- Masuda E, Anaguchi H, Yamada K, Kobayashi Y. Two developmental genes encoding sigma factor homologs are arranged in tandem in Bacillus subtilis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:7637-41 pubmed..The mutant exhibits normal growth but is unable to produce heat-resistant spores. We propose that the ORF3 gene product is a sigma factor or a related peptide essential for sporulation at a late stage of development. ..
- Ikeda M, Sato T, Wachi M, Jung H, Ishino F, Kobayashi Y, et al. Structural similarity among Escherichia coli FtsW and RodA proteins and Bacillus subtilis SpoVE protein, which function in cell division, cell elongation, and spore formation, respectively. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:6375-8 pubmed..coli RodA protein functioning in determination of the cell shape and the Bacillus subtilis SpoVE protein functioning in spore formation. Probably similar functional membrane proteins are involved in these three cell cycle process. ..
- Matsuyama A, Yamamoto H, Nakano E. Cloning, expression, and nucleotide sequence of the Escherichia coli K-12 ackA gene. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:577-80 pubmed..It was deduced that the ackA gene coded for a protein of 400 amino acids with an Mr of 43,297. The ackA gene was found to be located about 15 kilobases upstream of the purF-folC-hisT region of the chromosome. ..
- Fujita M, Yoshikawa H, Ogasawara N. Structure of the dnaA region of Pseudomonas putida: conservation among three bacteria, Bacillus subtilis, Escherichia coli and P. putida. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;215:381-7 pubmed
- Sekine Y, Ohtsubo E. Frameshifting is required for production of the transposase encoded by insertion sequence 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:4609-13 pubmed..Interestingly, this sequence is also present in one of the two sequences identified in retroviruses as frameshift signals for production of transframe polyproteins from the overlapping genes gag-pro or gag-pro-pol. ..
- Muramatsu S, Mizuno T. Nucleotide sequence of the region encompassing the glpKF operon and its upstream region containing a bent DNA sequence of Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:4378 pubmed
- Terasaka K, Yamaguchi R, Matsuo K, Yamazaki A, Nagai S, Yamada T. Complete nucleotide sequence of immunogenic protein MPB70 from Mycobacterium bovis BCG. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1989;49:273-6 pubmed..The SP displayed a characteristic feature of an Ala-rich property which would be efficient in a SP function...
- Murai M, Miyashita H, Araki H, Seki T, Oshima Y. Molecular structure of the replication origin of a Bacillus amyloliquefaciens plasmid pFTB14. Mol Gen Genet. 1987;210:92-100 pubmed
- Kondo Y, Toyoda A, Fukushi H, Yanase H, Tonomura K, Kawasaki H, et al. Cloning and characterization of a pair of genes that stimulate the production and secretion of Zymomonas mobilis extracellular levansucrase and invertase. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1994;58:526-30 pubmed..Gene zliS might contribute to the secretion of proteins having no signal peptide. The expression of zliE and zliS seemed to be under the control of the same promoter. ..
- Tatsuno I, Lee L, Kawagishi I, Homma M, Imae Y. Transmembrane signalling by the chimeric chemosensory receptors of Escherichia coli Tsr and Tar with heterologous membrane-spanning regions. Mol Microbiol. 1994;14:755-62 pubmed..This rapid adaptation was observed even in the methyltransferase-defective strain. Therefore, exchange of TM2 might impose structural constraints on the chimeric receptors that stabilize conformations which elicit smooth swimming. ..
- Moriya H, Kasai H, Isono K. Cloning and characterization of the hrpA gene in the terC region of Escherichia coli that is highly similar to the DEAH family RNA helicase genes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:595-8 pubmed..The C-terminal region of the hrpA gene product seems to contain an RNA binding motif weakly resembling that of ribosomal protein S1 of E.coli. Disruption of the hrpA gene suggested that it is not essential for the growth of E.coli. ..
- Takizawa N, Kaida N, Torigoe S, Moritani T, Sawada T, Satoh S, et al. Identification and characterization of genes encoding polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon dioxygenase and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon dihydrodiol dehydrogenase in Pseudomonas putida OUS82. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:2444-9 pubmed
- Vertes A, Inui M, Kobayashi M, Kurusu Y, Yukawa H. Isolation and characterization of IS31831, a transposable element from Corynebacterium glutamicum. Mol Microbiol. 1994;11:739-46 pubmed..An Escherichia coli/Corynebacterium shuttle vector useful for the isolation of transposable elements from the coryneform group of bacteria was constructed. ..
- Shiga Y, Yamagata H, Udaka S. Characterization of the gene encoding an intracellular proteinase inhibitor of Bacillus subtilis and its role in regulation of the major intracellular proteinase. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:7130-7 pubmed..Analysis of the time course of production of the intracellular proteinase and proteinase inhibitor in these strains suggested that BsuPI directly regulated the major intracellular proteinase (ISP-1) activity in vivo. ..
- Sekizaki T, Ito H, Asawa T, Nonomura I. DNA sequence of type 1 fimbrin, Fpul1, gene from a chicken pathogenic Escherichia coli serotype O78. J Vet Med Sci. 1993;55:395-400 pubmed..The E. coli K-12 strains carrying the Fpul1 genes did not show the acid-induced autoagglutination, suggesting that the Fpul1 was genetically distinct from the acid-induced autoagglutination. ..
- Wakagi T, Fujii T, Oshima T. Molecular cloning, sequencing, and heterologous expression of a novel zinc-containing ferredoxin gene from a thermoacidophilic Archaeon Sulfolobus sp. strain 7. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;225:489-93 pubmed..The recombinant ferredoxin was indistinguishable from the protein purified from Sulfolobus sp. strain 7 cells by several criteria so far investigated except that the methylation of the 29th lysine was suppressed. ..
- Sato Y, Yamamoto Y, Kizaki H. Cloning and sequence analysis of the gbpC gene encoding a novel glucan-binding protein of Streptococcus mutans. Infect Immun. 1997;65:668-75 pubmed..Extract from an E. coli clone of the gene exhibited glucan-binding activity. Therefore, the gene encoded a novel glucan-binding protein. ..
- Yamamoto Y, Miwa Y, Miyoshi K, Furuyama J, Ohmori H. The Escherichia coli ldcC gene encodes another lysine decarboxylase, probably a constitutive enzyme. Genes Genet Syst. 1997;72:167-72 pubmed
- Fujiwara T, Ito K, Nakayashiki T, Nakamura Y. Amber mutations in ribosome recycling factors of Escherichia coli and Thermus thermophilus: evidence for C-terminal modulator element. FEBS Lett. 1999;447:297-302 pubmed..thermophilus RRF, demonstrating the modulator activity of the C-terminal tail. Rapid purification of T. thermophilus RRF was achieved by T7-RNA polymerase-driven overexpression for crystallography...
- Kawamura Y, Whiley R, Zhao L, Ezaki T, Hardie J. Taxonomic study of "tufted mitior" strains of streptococci (Streptococcus sanguinis biotype 11); recognition of a new genospecies. Syst Appl Microbiol. 2000;23:245-50 pubmed
- Sekizaki T, Otani Y, Osaki M, Takamatsu D, Shimoji Y. Evidence for horizontal transfer of SsuDAT1I restriction-modification genes to the Streptococcus suis genome. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:500-11 pubmed..These results suggest that the SsuDAT1I system could have been integrated into the S. suis chromosome by an illegitimate recombination mechanism. ..
- Tamegai H, Nango E, Koike Takeshita A, Kudo F, Kakinuma K. Significance of the 20-kDa subunit of heterodimeric 2-deoxy-scyllo-inosose synthase for the biosynthesis of butirosin antibiotics in Bacillus circulans. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2002;66:1538-45 pubmed..circulans. The function of BtrC2 in the butirosin biosynthesis appears to be indirect, and may be involved in stabilization of DOI synthase and in regulation of its enzyme activity. ..
- Koizumi N, Watanabe H. Identification of a novel antigen of pathogenic Leptospira spp. that reacted with convalescent mice sera. J Med Microbiol. 2003;52:585-9 pubmed publisher..The gene for LAg42 is conserved among pathogenic leptospires but not among non-pathogenic leptospires, which suggests its involvement in virulence...
- Liu Y, Ichige A, Kobayashi I. Regulation of the EcoRI restriction-modification system: Identification of ecoRIM gene promoters and their upstream negative regulators in the ecoRIR gene. Gene. 2007;400:140-9 pubmed..Possible roles for these ecoRIM promoters and their negative regulators in the EcoRI R-M system are discussed. ..
- Nakagawa Y, Kikuchi S, Sakamoto Y, Yano A. Identification and characterization of CcCTR1, a copper uptake transporter-like gene, in Coprinopsis cinerea. Microbiol Res. 2010;165:276-87 pubmed publisher..Heterologous expression of CcCTR1 in S. cerevisiae increased Cu sensitivity, suggesting that CcCTR1 is a Cu uptake transporter. Together, these results suggest that CcCTR1 plays an important role in Cu accumulation in C. cinerea...
- Watarai M, Tobe T, Yoshikawa M, Sasakawa C. Disulfide oxidoreductase activity of Shigella flexneri is required for release of Ipa proteins and invasion of epithelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:4927-31 pubmed..These results indicated that the DsbA protein performs an essential function during the invasion of mammalian cells, by facilitating transport of the Spa32 protein across the outer membrane...
- Kobayashi M, Asai Y, Hatakeyama K, Kijima N, Wachi M, Nagai K, et al. Cloning, sequencing, and characterization of the ftsZ gene from coryneform bacteria. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;236:383-8 pubmed publisher..Expression of Br. flavum ftsZ gene in E. coli, JM109 inhibited its cell division, leading to filamentation. This suggested that the Br. flavum ftsZ product competed with the E. coli ftsZ product...
- Ohta M, Ina K, Kusuzaki K, Kido N, Arakawa Y, Kato N. Cloning and expression of the rfe-rff gene cluster of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:1853-62 pubmed..When the 10.5 kb rff genes of the plasmid were inactivated by either deletion or Tn5 insertion, the plasmid lost its ability to give rise to transformants of the rfe mutants. ..
- Ogura T, Tomoyasu T, Yuki T, Morimura S, Begg K, Donachie W, et al. Structure and function of the ftsH gene in Escherichia coli. Res Microbiol. 1991;142:279-82 pubmed..A wild type chromosomal fragment able to complement the sfh mutations was cloned. We also identified another gene (ftsJ) affecting cell division in the region upstream of the ftsH gene. ..
- Furukawa K, Tagaya M, Inouye M, Preiss J, Fukui T. Identification of lysine 15 at the active site in Escherichia coli glycogen synthase. Conservation of Lys-X-Gly-Gly sequence in the bacterial and mammalian enzymes. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:2086-90 pubmed..M., Wang, Y., and Roach, P. J. (1988) J. Biol. Chem. 263, 10561-10567). The importance of the conserved sequence of Lys-X-Gly-Gly is discussed in connection with the glycine-rich region found in many nucleotide-binding proteins. ..
- Kasahara M, Makino K, Amemura M, Nakata A. Nucleotide sequence of the ugpQ gene encoding glycerophosphoryl diester phosphodiesterase of Escherichia coli K-12. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:2854 pubmed
- Mori H, Iida A, Teshiba S, Fujio T. Cloning of a guanosine-inosine kinase gene of Escherichia coli and characterization of the purified gene product. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4921-6 pubmed..The sequence of the gene we have cloned is almost identical to that of the gsk gene (K.W. Harlow, P. Nygaard, and B. Hove-Jensen, J. Bacteriol. 177:2236-2240, 1995). ..
- Jeong J, Kitakawa M, Isono S, Isono K. Cloning and nucleotide sequencing of the genes, rpIU and rpmA, for ribosomal proteins L21 and L27 of Escherichia coli. DNA Seq. 1993;4:59-67 pubmed
- Kitagawa W, Miyauchi K, Masai E, Fukuda M. Cloning and characterization of benzoate catabolic genes in the gram-positive polychlorinated biphenyl degrader Rhodococcus sp. strain RHA1. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:6598-606 pubmed..In contrast, two rhodococcal strains that cannot transform benzoate were found not to have RHA1 benABC homologs, suggesting that many Rhodococcus strains contain benzoate catabolic genes similar to RHA1 benABC. ..
- Hama C, Takizawa T, Moriwaki H, Urasaki Y, Mizobuchi K. Organization of the replication control region of plasmid ColIb-P9. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:1983-91 pubmed..This small RNA acts in trans to repress the expression of repZ, thereby functioning to maintain a constant copy number of the ColIb-P9 replicon in host cells...
- Akiyama Y, Ito K. Topology analysis of the SecY protein, an integral membrane protein involved in protein export in Escherichia coli. EMBO J. 1987;6:3465-70 pubmed..The results suggest that SecY contains 10 transmembrane segments, five periplasmically exposed parts, and six cytoplasmic regions including the amino- and carboxyterminal regions...
- Sano K, Miyata M. The gyrB gene lies opposite from the replication origin on the circular chromosome of Mycoplasma capricolum. Gene. 1994;151:181-3 pubmed..2-kb region which contains the gyrB gene, encoding the beta-subunit of gyrase from Mycoplasma capricolum. We localized gyrB opposite from the chromosomal replication origin (ori) of M. capricolum by genomic Southern hybridization. ..
- Imaishi H, Gomada M, Inouye S, Nakazawa A. Physical map location of the rpoN gene of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:1550-1 pubmed
- Fujiwara T, Terao Y, Hoshino T, Kawabata S, Ooshima T, Sobue S, et al. Molecular analyses of glucosyltransferase genes among strains of Streptococcus mutans. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998;161:331-6 pubmed..The peptides encoded by the gtfB, gtfC and gtfD genes of GS-5 were 1, 80, and 32 amino acid residues shorter than those of the test strains except strain MT4245...
- Shinohara M, Ihara M, Abo M, Hashida M, Takagi S, Beck T. A novel thermostable branching enzyme from an extremely thermophilic bacterial species, Rhodothermus obamensis. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2001;57:653-9 pubmed..Branching activity of the enzyme was higher toward amylose than toward amylopectin. This is the first thermostable branching enzyme isolated from an extreme thermophile. ..
- Nishio Y, Usuda Y, Matsui K, Kurata H. Computer-aided rational design of the phosphotransferase system for enhanced glucose uptake in Escherichia coli. Mol Syst Biol. 2008;4:160 pubmed publisher..By using biological experiments, we validated the prediction and the presented strategy, thereby enhancing the specific glucose uptake rate. ..
- Takao M, Oikawa A, Yasui A. Characterization of a superoxide dismutase gene from the archaebacterium Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1990;283:210-6 pubmed..Between a putative promoter and the start codon there is an inverted repeat sequence which is also found in the counterpart of Halobacterium halobium. ..
- Onaka H, Ando N, Nihira T, Yamada Y, Beppu T, Horinouchi S. Cloning and characterization of the A-factor receptor gene from Streptomyces griseus. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:6083-92 pubmed..The presence of ArpA-like proteins among Streptomyces spp., as revealed by PCR, together with the presence of A-factor-like compounds, suggests that a hormonal control similar to the A-factor system exists in many species of this genus...
- Tateno M, Ihara K, Mukohata Y. The novel ion pump rhodopsins from Haloarcula form a family independent from both the bacteriorhodopsin and archaerhodopsin families/tribes. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1994;315:127-32 pubmed publisher..The ion pumps (and possibly sensors still to be found) in Haloarcula sp. arg-1, which constitute the cruxrhodopsin-1 family, are distinct from the bacteriorhodopsin and the archaerhodopsin families/tribes...
- Sakamoto T, Yamada M, Kawasaki H, Sakai T. Molecular cloning and nucleotide sequence of an endo-1,5-alpha-L-arabinase gene from Bacillus subtilis. Eur J Biochem. 1997;245:708-14 pubmed..75 M potassium phosphate in the culture medium. The phosphate anion seemed to be involved in the stimulation of protopectinase C production in this stain. ..
- Kamekura M, Dyall Smith M, Upasani V, Ventosa A, Kates M. Diversity of alkaliphilic halobacteria: proposals for transfer of Natronobacterium vacuolatum, Natronobacterium magadii, and Natronobacterium pharaonis to Halorubrum, Natrialba, and Natronomonas gen. nov., respectively, as Halorubrum vacuolatum comb. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1997;47:853-7 pubmed..nov., comb. nov.; Natronobacterium vacuolatum to be transferred to the genus Halorubrum as Halorubrum vacuolatum comb. nov.; and Natronobacterium magadii to be transferred to the genus Natrialba as Natrialba magadii...
- Yamamoto S, Funahashi T, Ikai H, Shinoda S. Cloning and sequencing of the Vibrio parahaemolyticus fur gene. Microbiol Immunol. 1997;41:737-40 pubmed..A sequence analysis showed that, at the amino acid level, the V. parahaemolyticus Fur protein is 81% identical with the Fur protein from E. coli and over 90% identical with those of the Vibrio species. ..
- Ide N, Kutsukake K. Identification of a novel Escherichia coli gene whose expression is dependent on the flagellum-specific sigma factor, FliA, but dispensable for motility development. Gene. 1997;199:19-23 pubmed..This mutant was found to be actively motile, suggesting that this gene is unlikely to be involved in the motility phenotype of E. coli. ..
- Yamamoto K, Kusano K, Takahashi N, Yoshikura H, Kobayashi I. Gene conversion in the Escherichia coli RecF pathway: a successive half crossing-over model. Mol Gen Genet. 1992;234:1-13 pubmed
- Furuchi T, Kashiwagi K, Kobayashi H, Igarashi K. Characteristics of the gene for a spermidine and putrescine transport system that maps at 15 min on the Escherichia coli chromosome. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:20928-33 pubmed..These results indicate that the spermidine and putrescine transport system can be defined as a bacterial periplasmic transport system...
- Tokushige M, Tsujimoto N, Oda T, Honda T, Yumoto N, Ito S, et al. Role of cysteine residues in tryptophanase for monovalent cation-induced activation. Biochimie. 1989;71:711-20 pubmed..The above results are compatible with the possibility that Cys-298 is involved in the formation of "monovalent cation binding site" in the holoenzyme. ..
- Hirayama T, Muranaka T, Ohkawa H, Oka A. Organization and characterization of the virCD genes from Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Mol Gen Genet. 1988;213:229-37 pubmed..The virCD genes of these two plasmids, therefore, seem comparable both functionally and structurally. Phylogeny of pRi and pTi has also been discussed from the sequence data. ..
- Matsuo T, Matsumoto S, Ohara N, Kitaura H, Mizuno A, Yamada T. Differential transcription of the MPB70 genes in two major groups of Mycobacterium bovis BCG substrains. Microbiology. 1995;141 ( Pt 7):1601-7 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these results, the difference in the secretion of the MPB70 protein between BCG Tokyo and Pasteur was attributed to differential transcription efficiencies...
- Ohara N, Kimura M, Wada N, Yamada T. Cloning and sequencing of the gene encoding the ribosomal L7/L12-like protein of Mycobacterium bovis BCG. Nucleic Acids Res. 1993;21:3579 pubmed
- Saichana I, Ano Y, Adachi O, Matsushita K, Toyama H. Preparation of enzymes required for enzymatic quantification of 5-keto-D-gluconate and 2-keto-D-gluconate. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007;71:2478-86 pubmed..From the two E. coli transformants, large amounts of each enzyme were easily prepared after one column chromatography, and the preparation was ready to use for quantification of 5KGA or 2KGA...
- Sato T, Samori Y, Kobayashi Y. The cisA cistron of Bacillus subtilis sporulation gene spoIVC encodes a protein homologous to a site-specific recombinase. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:1092-8 pubmed..The DNA rearrangement was not observed in spoIVC cisA mutants. These results strongly suggest that the spoIVC cisA gene encodes a site-specific DNA recombinase having a very important role in sporulation. ..
- Oda M, Sugishita A, Furukawa K. Cloning and nucleotide sequences of histidase and regulatory genes in the Bacillus subtilis hut operon and positive regulation of the operon. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:3199-205 pubmed..These data strongly suggested that ORF1 encodes a positive regulator of the hut operon. ..
- Matsui K, Miwa K, Sano K. Two single-base-pair substitutions causing desensitization to tryptophan feedback inhibition of anthranilate synthase and enhanced expression of tryptophan genes of Brevibacterium lactofermentum. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:5330-2 pubmed..The enhanced synthesis of tryptophan enzymes in 1041 could be caused by this substitution in the attenuator. ..
- Ohyama T, Igarashi K, Kobayashi H. Physiological role of the chaA gene in sodium and calcium circulations at a high pH in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:4311-5 pubmed..5, but the activity at neutral pH was not reduced by the deletion of chaA. Therefore, it was also suggested that ChaA plays a role in calcium ion circulation at alkaline pH. ..
- Matsubara K, Ohnishi K, Kiritani K. Nucleotide sequences and characterization of liv genes encoding components of the high-affinity branched-chain amino acid transport system in Salmonella typhimurium. J Biochem. 1992;112:93-101 pubmed
- Komine Y, Inokuchi H. Precise mapping of the rnpB gene encoding the RNA component of RNase P in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:1813-6 pubmed..Since close linkage of rnpB and tdc is found in various strains of E. coli K-12, the rnpB gene should be mapped at 68 min rather than 70 min. ..
- Sato T, Theeragool G, Yamamoto T, Okamoto M, Kobayashi Y. Revised nucleotide sequence of the sporulation gene spoVE from Bacillus subtilis. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:4021 pubmed
- Nohno T, Noji S, Taniguchi S, Saito T. The narX and narL genes encoding the nitrate-sensing regulators of Escherichia coli are homologous to a family of prokaryotic two-component regulatory genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:2947-57 pubmed..Presence of two copies of hydrophobic segments in the N-terminal half of the NarX protein suggests the role as a transmembrane receptor sensing nitrate. ..
- Yamanaka K, Mitani T, Feng J, Ogura T, Niki H, Hiraga S. Two mutant alleles of mukB, a gene essential for chromosome partition in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1994;123:27-31 pubmed
- Yoshida T, Ueguchi C, Mizuno T. Physical map location of a set of Escherichia coli genes (hde) whose expression is affected by the nucleoid protein H-NS. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:7747-8 pubmed
- Matsuo T, Matsuo H, Ohara N, Matsumoto S, Kitaura H, Mizuno A, et al. Cloning and sequencing of an MPB70 homologue corresponding to MPB83 from Mycobacterium bovis BCG. Scand J Immunol. 1996;43:483-9 pubmed..It was speculated that the gene the authors characterized probably corresponded to the mpb83 gene. ..
- Hiraga S. Chromosome and plasmid partition in Escherichia coli. Annu Rev Biochem. 1992;61:283-306 pubmed
- Ohnishi K, Nakazima A, Matsubara K, Kiritani K. Cloning and nucleotide sequences of livB and livC, the structural genes encoding binding proteins of the high-affinity branched-chain amino acid transport in Salmonella typhimurium. J Biochem. 1990;107:202-8 pubmed..In comparison with the analogous two binding proteins from Escherichia coli K-12, strong homologies are observed. ..
- Ikawa Y, Yoshimura T, Hara H, Shiraishi H, Inoue T. Two conserved structural components, A-rich bulge and P4 XJ6/7 base-triples, in activating the group I ribozymes. Genes Cells. 2002;7:1205-15 pubmed..However, the bulge or the modified base-triples gave a moderate reduction or considerable increase, respectively, to the Km(GTP) value. ..