Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on atp dependent proteases in Japan
Topic: atp dependent proteases
- Ogura T, Inoue K, Tatsuta T, Suzaki T, Karata K, Young K, et al. Balanced biosynthesis of major membrane components through regulated degradation of the committed enzyme of lipid A biosynthesis by the AAA protease FtsH (HflB) in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1999;31:833-44 pubmed..The biosynthesis of phospholipids and the lipid A moiety of lipopolysaccharide, both of which derive their fatty acyl chains from the same R-3-hydroxyacyl-ACP pool, is regulated by FtsH. ..
- Kihara A, Akiyama Y, Ito K. A protease complex in the Escherichia coli plasma membrane: HflKC (HflA) forms a complex with FtsH (HflB), regulating its proteolytic activity against SecY. EMBO J. 1996;15:6122-31 pubmed..Finally, purified HflKC protein inhibited the SecY-degrading activity of purified FtsH protein in vitro. These results indicate that the proteolytic activity of FtsH is modulated negatively by its association with HflKC. ..
- Hori O, Ichinoda F, Tamatani T, Yamaguchi A, Sato N, Ozawa K, et al. Transmission of cell stress from endoplasmic reticulum to mitochondria: enhanced expression of Lon protease. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:1151-60 pubmed
- Inagawa T, Kato J, Niki H, Karata K, Ogura T. Defective plasmid partition in ftsH mutants of Escherichia coli. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;265:755-62 pubmed..It is likely that altered membrane structure affects the localization or activity of a putative plasmid partitioning apparatus located at positions equivalent to 1/4 and 3/4 of the cell length. ..
- Ishii Y, Amano F. Regulation of SulA cleavage by Lon protease by the C-terminal amino acid of SulA, histidine. Biochem J. 2001;358:473-80 pubmed..These results suggest that the histidine residue at the extreme C-terminus of SulA is recognized specifically by Lon, leading to a high-affinity interaction between SulA and Lon...
- Ishii Y, Sonezaki S, Iwasaki Y, Miyata Y, Akita K, Kato Y, et al. Regulatory role of C-terminal residues of SulA in its degradation by Lon protease in Escherichia coli. J Biochem. 2000;127:837-44 pubmed..These results show that SulA has the specified rows of C-terminal 8 residues recognized by Lon, leading to facilitated binding and subsequent cleavage by Lon protease both in vivo and in vitro...
- Akiyama Y, Ehrmann M, Kihara A, Ito K. Polypeptide binding of Escherichia coli FtsH (HflB). Mol Microbiol. 1998;28:803-12 pubmed..Thus, denatured PhoA binding of FtsH may also occur in vivo...
- Kihara A, Akiyama Y, Ito K. Different pathways for protein degradation by the FtsH/HflKC membrane-embedded protease complex: an implication from the interference by a mutant form of a new substrate protein, YccA. J Mol Biol. 1998;279:175-88 pubmed..From these results we suggest that there are at least two pathways for FtsH-dependent protein degradation, only one of which (probably for membrane proteins) is subject to the HflKC-dependent interference by the YccA11 mutant substrate. ..
- Kanemori M, Nishihara K, Yanagi H, Yura T. Synergistic roles of HslVU and other ATP-dependent proteases in controlling in vivo turnover of sigma32 and abnormal proteins in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:7219-25 pubmed..Thus, a set of ATP-dependent proteases appear to play synergistic roles in the negative control of the heat shock response by modulating in vivo turnover of sigma32 as well as through degradation of abnormal proteins. ..
- Kitagawa M, Wada C, Yoshioka S, Yura T. Expression of ClpB, an analog of the ATP-dependent protease regulatory subunit in Escherichia coli, is controlled by a heat shock sigma factor (sigma 32). J Bacteriol. 1991;173:4247-53 pubmed..coli. ..
- Shirai Y, Akiyama Y, Ito K. Suppression of ftsH mutant phenotypes by overproduction of molecular chaperones. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:1141-5 pubmed..These results suggest that FtsH functions can be somehow compensated for when the cellular concentrations of some molecular chaperones increase. ..
- Watabe S, Kohno H, Kouyama H, Hiroi T, Yago N, Nakazawa T. Purification and characterization of a substrate protein for mitochondrial ATP-dependent protease in bovine adrenal cortex. J Biochem. 1994;115:648-54 pubmed..Since a segment around AA47 was highly conserved, this residue may be important for the biochemical functions of SP-22. ..
- Tomoyasu T, Gamer J, Bukau B, Kanemori M, Mori H, Rutman A, et al. Escherichia coli FtsH is a membrane-bound, ATP-dependent protease which degrades the heat-shock transcription factor sigma 32. EMBO J. 1995;14:2551-60 pubmed..We conclude that FtsH is a novel membrane-bound, ATP-dependent metalloprotease with activity for sigma 32. These findings indicate a new mechanism of gene regulation in E. coli. ..
- Akiyama Y, Ito K. A new Escherichia coli gene, fdrA, identified by suppression analysis of dominant negative FtsH mutations. Mol Gen Genet. 1995;249:202-8 pubmed..The intact fdrA gene (11.9 min on the chromosome) directed the synthesis of a 60 kDa protein in vitro. ..
- Tomoyasu T, Yuki T, Morimura S, Mori H, Yamanaka K, Niki H, et al. The Escherichia coli FtsH protein is a prokaryotic member of a protein family of putative ATPases involved in membrane functions, cell cycle control, and gene expression. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:1344-51 pubmed..g., Sec18p, Pas1p, CDC48p, and TBP-1, which function in protein transport pathways, peroxisome assembly, cell division cycle, and gene expression, respectively. Possible implications of these observations are discussed. ..