Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on atherosclerosis in United States
Locale: United States
Publications312 found, 100 shown here
- Schmidt E, Kuebler W, Lee W, Downey G. Adhesion Molecules: Master Controllers of the Circulatory System. Compr Physiol. 2016;6:945-73 pubmed publisher..The potential of targeting adhesion molecules in the treatment of immune and inflammatory diseases will be highlighted in the relevant sections throughout the manuscript. ..
- Gossl M, Versari D, Lerman L, Chade A, Beighley P, Erbel R, et al. Low vasa vasorum densities correlate with inflammation and subintimal thickening: potential role in location--determination of atherogenesis. Atherosclerosis. 2009;206:362-8 pubmed publisher..65). Our data suggest that low VV density territories within the coronary vessel wall are susceptible to hypoxia, oxidative stress and microinflammation and may therefore be starting points of early atherogenesis. ..
- Windham B, Griswold M, Shibata D, Penman A, Catellier D, Mosley T. Covert neurological symptoms associated with silent infarcts from midlife to older age: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. Stroke. 2012;43:1218-23 pubmed publisher..Covert neurological symptoms were associated with prevalent SBI, and when ascertained at the time of follow-up MRI, with new SBI. Covert symptoms may reflect heightened risk for infarcts. ..
- Shishido S, Varahan S, Yuan K, Li X, Fleming S. Humoral innate immune response and disease. Clin Immunol. 2012;144:142-58 pubmed publisher..Understanding the beneficial and detrimental aspects of the individual components and the interactions between proteins which regulate the innate and adaptive response will provide therapeutic targets for subsequent studies. ..
- Bays H, Evans J, Maki K, Evans M, Maquet V, Cooper R, et al. Chitin-glucan fiber effects on oxidized low-density lipoprotein: a randomized controlled trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013;67:2-7 pubmed publisher..Adverse events did not substantively differ between treatments and placebo. In this 6-week study, CG (4.5?g/day) reduced OxLDL, an effect that might affect the risk for atherosclerosis. ..
- Williams M, Cushman M, Ouyang P, Heckbert S, Kalyani R, Vaidya D. Association of Serum Sex Hormones with Hemostatic Factors in Women On and Off Hormone Therapy: The Multiethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016;25:166-72 pubmed publisher..HT nonusers had far more prothrombotic associations between elevated serum sex hormone levels and thrombotic biomarkers when compared with HT users. ..
- Narizhneva N, Razorenova O, Podrez E, Chen J, Chandrasekharan U, DiCorleto P, et al. Thrombospondin-1 up-regulates expression of cell adhesion molecules and promotes monocyte binding to endothelium. FASEB J. 2005;19:1158-60 pubmed..Taken together, this study identifies a novel mechanism regulating CAM expression and subsequent monocyte binding to endothelium, which might influence the development of anti-atherosclerosis therapeutic strategies. ..
- Shao B, Fu X, McDonald T, Green P, Uchida K, O Brien K, et al. Acrolein impairs ATP binding cassette transporter A1-dependent cholesterol export from cells through site-specific modification of apolipoprotein A-I. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:36386-96 pubmed..Thus, acrolein might contribute to atherogenesis by impairing cholesterol removal from the artery wall...
- Rocha Singh K, Jaff M, Crabtree T, Bloch D, Ansel G. Performance goals and endpoint assessments for clinical trials of femoropopliteal bare nitinol stents in patients with symptomatic peripheral arterial disease. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2007;69:910-9 pubmed..Additional information is provided on safety and other reporting standards and stent integrity evaluation for bare metal stents. ..
- Kramer H, Palmas W, Kestenbaum B, Cushman M, Allison M, Astor B, et al. Chronic kidney disease prevalence estimates among racial/ethnic groups: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;3:1391-7 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to determine the accuracy and precision of GFR prediction equations in racially diverse populations. ..
- Biller J. Antiplatelet therapy in ischemic stroke: variability in clinical trials and its impact on choosing the appropriate therapy. J Neurol Sci. 2009;284:1-9 pubmed publisher..The article also addresses the potential impact these differences may have on clinical trial results and subsequent clinical decision making. ..
- Gottam N, Nanjundappa A, Dieter R. Renal artery stenosis: pathophysiology and treatment. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2009;7:1413-20 pubmed publisher..The goal of this article is to review the pathophysiology of RAS, and discuss outcomes of treatment with regard to renovascular hypertension and nephropathy. ..
- Scannapieco F, Dasanayake A, Chhun N. "Does periodontal therapy reduce the risk for systemic diseases?". Dent Clin North Am. 2010;54:163-81 pubmed publisher..While some progress has been made, further research is required to understand the value of periodontal interventions in the prevention of systemic diseases. ..
- Lu Z, Li Y, Samuvel D, Jin J, Zhang X, Lopes Virella M, et al. MD-2 is involved in the stimulation of matrix metalloproteinase-1 expression by interferon-γ and high glucose in mononuclear cells - a potential role of MD-2 in Toll-like receptor 4-independent signalling. Immunology. 2013;140:301-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate that MD-2 is involved in IFN-γ signalling and IFN-γ-augmented MMP-1 up-regulation by LPS. ..
- Hajat A, Diez Roux A, Adar S, Auchincloss A, Lovasi G, O Neill M, et al. Air pollution and individual and neighborhood socioeconomic status: evidence from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Environ Health Perspect. 2013;121:1325-33 pubmed publisher..We found statistically significant associations of SES measures with predicted air pollutant concentrations, demonstrating the importance of accounting for neighborhood- and individual-level SES in air pollution health effects research. ..
- RAHMAN K, Vengrenyuk Y, Ramsey S, Vila N, Girgis N, Liu J, et al. Inflammatory Ly6Chi monocytes and their conversion to M2 macrophages drive atherosclerosis regression. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:2904-2915 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that continued recruitment of Ly6Chi inflammatory monocytes and their STAT6-dependent polarization to the M2 state are required for resolution of atherosclerotic inflammation and plaque regression. ..
- Thenappan T, Ali Raza J, Movahed A. Aortic atheromas: current concepts and controversies-a review of the literature. Echocardiography. 2008;25:198-207 pubmed publisher..However, there are no randomized control trials to establish the role of both anticoagulation and statins in patients with aortic atheromas, and are warranted in the future. ..
- Aviv A. Genetics of leukocyte telomere length and its role in atherosclerosis. Mutat Res. 2012;730:68-74 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms underlying these associations are still not well understood, but they stem in part from genetic factors in control of telomere maintenance and the rate of HSC replication. ..
- Chacko B, Scott D, Chandler R, Patel R. Endothelial surface N-glycans mediate monocyte adhesion and are targets for anti-inflammatory effects of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ? ligands. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:38738-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together we propose a novel anti-inflammatory mechanism of endothelial PPAR? activation that involves targeting protein post-translational modification of adhesion molecules, specifically N-glycosylation. ..
- Johnson H, Piper M, Baker T, Fiore M, Stein J. Effects of smoking and cessation on subclinical arterial disease: a substudy of a randomized controlled trial. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35332 pubmed publisher..The rapid reduction in cardiovascular disease events observed with smoking cessation is unlikely to be mediated by changes in subclinical atherosclerosis burden. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00332644. ..
- Wattanakit K, Lutsey P, Bell E, Gornik H, Cushman M, Heckbert S, et al. Association between cardiovascular disease risk factors and occurrence of venous thromboembolism. A time-dependent analysis. Thromb Haemost. 2012;108:508-15 pubmed publisher..This finding corroborates that the pathogenesis of venous disease differs from that of atherosclerotic disease. ..
- Chen X, Lu H, Zhao M, Tashiro K, Cassis L, Daugherty A. Contributions of leukocyte angiotensin-converting enzyme to development of atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:2075-80 pubmed publisher..ACE mediates angiotensin I-induced atherosclerosis, and ACE expression in leukocytes modestly contributes to atherosclerotic development in hypercholesterolemic mice. ..
- DiDonato J, Huang Y, Aulak K, Even Or O, Gerstenecker G, Gogonea V, et al. Function and distribution of apolipoprotein A1 in the artery wall are markedly distinct from those in plasma. Circulation. 2013;128:1644-55 pubmed publisher..The lipoprotein is markedly enriched within atherosclerotic plaque, predominantly lipid-poor, not associated with HDL, extensively oxidatively cross-linked, and functionally impaired. ..
- Wang Y, Wang G, Rabinovitch P, Tabas I. Macrophage mitochondrial oxidative stress promotes atherosclerosis and nuclear factor-?B-mediated inflammation in macrophages. Circ Res. 2014;114:421-33 pubmed publisher..In view of the mitoOS-atherosclerosis link in human atheromata, these findings reveal a potentially new therapeutic target to prevent the progression of atherosclerosis. ..
- Cui Y, Sun Q, Liu Z. Ambient particulate matter exposure and cardiovascular diseases: a focus on progenitor and stem cells. J Cell Mol Med. 2016;20:782-93 pubmed publisher..The present review is focused on summarizing the detrimental effects of PM exposure on EPCs and SCs, and potential mechanisms including ROS formation as well as clinical implications. ..
- Berk B, Korshunov V. Genetic determinants of vascular remodelling. Can J Cardiol. 2006;22 Suppl B:6B-11B pubmed..This model should be useful to identify and characterize the role of genes that mediate vascular remodelling...
- Foraker R, Rose K, Whitsel E, Suchindran C, Wood J, Rosamond W. Neighborhood socioeconomic status, Medicaid coverage and medical management of myocardial infarction: atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) community surveillance. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:632 pubmed publisher..These findings were independent of other key covariates. nINC and Medicaid coverage may be two of several socioeconomic factors influencing the complexities of medical care practice patterns. ..
- Erdely A, Hulderman T, Salmen Muniz R, Liston A, Zeidler Erdely P, Chen B, et al. Inhalation exposure of gas-metal arc stainless steel welding fume increased atherosclerotic lesions in apolipoprotein E knockout mice. Toxicol Lett. 2011;204:12-6 pubmed publisher..These results complement epidemiological and functional human studies that suggest welding may result in adverse cardiovascular effects...
- Sadowitz B, Seymour K, Gahtan V, Maier K. The role of hyaluronic acid in atherosclerosis and intimal hyperplasia. J Surg Res. 2012;173:e63-72 pubmed publisher..HA has a complex, and sometimes conflicting, role in the pathologic processes of atherogenesis and vessel wall renarrowing after surgical intervention. ..
- Yakubenko V, Hsi L, Cathcart M, Bhattacharjee A. From macrophage interleukin-13 receptor to foam cell formation: mechanisms for ?M?2 integrin interference. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:2778-88 pubmed publisher..The discovery of this mechanism helps our understanding of the potential role of alternatively activated macrophages in atherogenesis and highlights the impact of integrin ?(M)?(2) on this process. ..
- Rahaman S, Li W, Silverstein R. Vav Guanine nucleotide exchange factors regulate atherosclerotic lesion development in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:2053-7 pubmed publisher..These results for the first time link Vavs to atherosclerotic lesion development and suggest that Vavs act as critical molecular links coupling hyperlipidemia with proatherogenic monocyte/macrophage responses. ..
- Lee K, Saidel G, Penn M. Permeability change of arterial endothelium is an age-dependent function of lesion size in apolipoprotein E-null mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;295:H2273-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the IEL is not a significant barrier between the intima and tunica media in the atherosclerotic process...
- Aviv A, Levy D. Telomeres, atherosclerosis, and the hemothelium: the longer view. Annu Rev Med. 2012;63:293-301 pubmed publisher..Our model comes down to this proposition: Shortened LTL predicts increased atherosclerotic risk because the injurious component of atherosclerosis exceeds the repair capacity of HSC reserves, which largely depend on HSC telomere length. ..
- Mousa A, Campbell J, Stone P, Broce M, Bates M, Aburahma A. Short- and long-term outcomes of percutaneous transluminal angioplasty/stenting of renal fibromuscular dysplasia over a ten-year period. J Vasc Surg. 2012;55:421-7 pubmed publisher..Patients with combined atherosclerotic disease and FMD were older and were more likely to have declining renal function over time. Early intervention may be imperative to achieve possible cure of hypertension. ..
- Takx R, Partovi S, Ghoshhajra B. Imaging of atherosclerosis. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016;32:5-12 pubmed publisher..The integration of these techniques in clinical practice may allow for superior risk stratification and therapeutic planning as well as monitoring of interventional and medication based treatment strategies. ..
- Tavori H, Giunzioni I, Predazzi I, Plubell D, Shivinsky A, Miles J, et al. Human PCSK9 promotes hepatic lipogenesis and atherosclerosis development via apoE- and LDLR-mediated mechanisms. Cardiovasc Res. 2016;110:268-78 pubmed publisher..These effects of hPCSK9 are dependent on LDLR but are independent of apoE. ..
- Damluji A, El Maouche D, Alsulaimi A, Martin P, Shamburek R, Goldberg R, et al. Accelerated atherosclerosis and elevated lipoprotein (a) after liver transplantation. J Clin Lipidol. 2016;10:434-7 pubmed publisher..This case study represents an important example to include Lp(a) screening in routine lipid panel testing for all liver transplant donors and recipients; to reduce unanticipated and debilitating cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. ..
- Hajishengallis G, Wang M, Bagby G, Nelson S. Importance of TLR2 in early innate immune response to acute pulmonary infection with Porphyromonas gingivalis in mice. J Immunol. 2008;181:4141-9 pubmed..Thus, although TLR2 may mediate destructive effects, as seen in models of experimental periodontitis and atherosclerosis, we have now shown that the same receptor confers protection against P. gingivalis in acute lung infection...
- Bhattacharjee R, Kheirandish Gozal L, Pillar G, Gozal D. Cardiovascular complications of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: evidence from children. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2009;51:416-33 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will present the specific cardiovascular complications that have thus far been described in children with OSAS, with reference to pertinent mechanisms, and potential implications. ..
- Aiello R, Perry B, Bourassa P, Robertson A, Weng W, Knight D, et al. CCR2 receptor blockade alters blood monocyte subpopulations but does not affect atherosclerotic lesions in apoE(-/-) mice. Atherosclerosis. 2010;208:370-5 pubmed publisher..Elevations in CCL2 and margination of Ly-6C(hi) cells demonstrate that the role of CCR2 in controlling monocyte levels goes beyond the control of monocyte emigration. ..
- Bayturan O, Kapadia S, Nicholls S, Tuzcu E, Shao M, Uno K, et al. Clinical predictors of plaque progression despite very low levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55:2736-42 pubmed publisher..This finding highlights the need for intensive modification of global risk in patients with coronary artery disease. ..
- Hunt K, Baker N, Cleary P, Backlund J, Lyons T, Jenkins A, et al. Oxidized LDL and AGE-LDL in circulating immune complexes strongly predict progression of carotid artery IMT in type 1 diabetes. Atherosclerosis. 2013;231:315-22 pubmed publisher..76 (0.87, 3.56) and 2.86 (1.20, 6.81). Our study indicates that high levels of oxLDL-IC and AGE-LDL-IC are important predictors of carotid intima-medial thickening in patients with type 1 diabetes. ..
- Estrada R, Zeng Q, Lu H, Sarojini H, Lee J, Mathis S, et al. Up-regulating sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor-2 signaling impairs chemotactic, wound-healing, and morphogenetic responses in senescent endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:30363-75 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the impairment of function in senescent ECs in culture is mediated by an increase in S1P signaling through S1P(2)-mediated activation of the lipid phosphatase PTEN. ..
- Silverstein R. Inflammation, atherosclerosis, and arterial thrombosis: role of the scavenger receptor CD36. Cleve Clin J Med. 2009;76 Suppl 2:S27-30 pubmed publisher..CD36 deficiency in mice is associated with inhibition of thrombus formation and with a reduction in microparticle accumulation in thrombi. Targeting CD36 is a promising avenue for the treatment of atheroinflammatory disorders. ..
- Smith J. Dysfunctional HDL as a diagnostic and therapeutic target. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:151-5 pubmed publisher..These studies provide the basis for the development of an oxidant-resistant form of apoAI and clinical measures of HDL modification and dysfunction, which may be useful as a treatment criterion. ..
- Panchatcharam M, Miriyala S, Yang F, Leitges M, Chrzanowska Wodnicka M, Quilliam L, et al. Enhanced proliferation and migration of vascular smooth muscle cells in response to vascular injury under hyperglycemic conditions is controlled by beta3 integrin signaling. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2010;42:965-74 pubmed publisher
- Dua A, Desai S, Upchurch G, Desai S. Renal artery stenting may not be appropriate for patients with atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis. Vascular. 2016;24:9-18 pubmed publisher..Lower five-year patency and higher rate of complications from renal artery stenting that ultimately lead to significantly lower five-year dialysis-free survival. ..
- Babamusta F, Rateri D, Moorleghen J, Howatt D, Li X, Daugherty A. Angiotensin II infusion induces site-specific intra-laminar hemorrhage in macrophage colony-stimulating factor-deficient mice. Atherosclerosis. 2006;186:282-90 pubmed..In conclusion, deficiency of M-CSF attenuated AngII-induced atherosclerosis but led to an unanticipated pathology of intra-laminar hemorrhage in the upper aortic regions. ..
- Nachtigal M, Ghaffar A, Mayer E. Galectin-3 gene inactivation reduces atherosclerotic lesions and adventitial inflammation in ApoE-deficient mice. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:247-55 pubmed..The effect of GaL3 deficiency on atherogenesis decrease could be related to its function as a multifunctional protein implicated in macrophage chemotaxis, angiogenesis, lipid loading, and inflammation. ..
- Garelnabi M, Selvarajan K, Litvinov D, Santanam N, Parthasarathy S. Dietary oxidized linoleic acid lowers triglycerides via APOA5/APOClll dependent mechanisms. Atherosclerosis. 2008;199:304-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that oxidized fatty acids may act through an APOA5/APOClll mechanism that contributes to lowering of TG levels other than PPAR* induction. ..
- Owens D, Katz R, Takasu J, Kronmal R, Budoff M, O Brien K. Incidence and progression of aortic valve calcium in the Multi-ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Am J Cardiol. 2010;105:701-8 pubmed publisher..AVC progression risk was associated with male gender and the baseline Agatston score. Additional research is needed to determine whether age- and stage-specific mechanisms underlie the risk of AVC progression. ..
- Chrispin J, Jain A, Soliman E, Guallar E, Alonso A, Heckbert S, et al. Association of electrocardiographic and imaging surrogates of left ventricular hypertrophy with incident atrial fibrillation: MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:2007-13 pubmed publisher..ECG-LVH showed prognostic signiï¬cance independent of CMR-LVH. The association was attenuated when adjusted for CMR left atrial volumes. ..
- Blaha M, Cainzos Achirica M, Greenland P, McEvoy J, Blankstein R, Budoff M, et al. Role of Coronary Artery Calcium Score of Zero and Other Negative Risk Markers for Cardiovascular Disease: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Circulation. 2016;133:849-58 pubmed publisher..These results may help guide discussions on the identification of individuals less likely to receive net benefit from lifelong preventive pharmacotherapy. ..
- Amarenco P, Albers G, Denison H, Easton J, Evans S, Held P, et al. Efficacy and safety of ticagrelor versus aspirin in acute stroke or transient ischaemic attack of atherosclerotic origin: a subgroup analysis of SOCRATES, a randomised, double-blind, controlled trial. Lancet Neurol. 2017;16:301-310 pubmed publisher..An understanding of stroke mechanisms and causes is important to deliver safe and efficacious treatments for early stroke prevention. AstraZeneca. ..
- Gottesman R, Albert M, Alonso A, Coker L, Coresh J, Davis S, et al. Associations Between Midlife Vascular Risk Factors and 25-Year Incident Dementia in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Cohort. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1246-1254 pubmed publisher..Vascular risk factors have been associated with cognitive decline. Midlife exposure to these factors may be most important in conferring late-life risk of cognitive impairment...
- Longenecker C, Margevicius S, Liu Y, Schluchter M, Yun C, Bezerra H, et al. Effect of Pericardial Fat Volume and Density on Markers of Insulin Resistance and Inflammation in Patients With Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1427-1433 pubmed publisher..8). In conclusion, the quantity and quality (i.e., radiodensity) of PCF are differentially related to insulin resistance and inflammation in patients with treated HIV infection. ..
- Sharma K, Al Rifai M, Ahmed H, Dardari Z, Silverman M, Yeboah J, et al. Usefulness of Coronary Artery Calcium to Predict Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction in Men Versus Women (from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1847-1853 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is needed to better understand potential gender differences in pathophysiology and presentation of HFpEF...
- Allred K, Smart E, Wilson M. Estrogen receptor-alpha mediates gender differences in atherosclerosis induced by HIV protease inhibitors. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:1419-25 pubmed..These data demonstrate that ERalpha is directly involved in the regulation of cholesterol metabolism in macrophages and plays an important role in the gender differences observed in HIV protease inhibitor-induced atherosclerosis. ..
- De Boer I, Astor B, Kramer H, Palmas W, Seliger S, Shlipak M, et al. Lipoprotein abnormalities associated with mild impairment of kidney function in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;3:125-32 pubmed..These abnormalities may contribute to kidney disease progression and/or cardiovascular disease. ..
- Podrez E. Anti-oxidant properties of high-density lipoprotein and atherosclerosis. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2010;37:719-25 pubmed publisher..4. The focus of the present review is on the anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory functions of HDL and its individual components in relation to protection from atherosclerosis. ..
- Teng R. Pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic and pharmacogenetic profile of the oral antiplatelet agent ticagrelor. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2012;51:305-18 pubmed publisher..This article summarizes our current knowledge regarding the pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic and pharmacogenetic profile of ticagrelor. ..
- DeRossi S, Sollecito T. The oral-medical disease connection: pregnancy, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2012;33:406-13; quiz 414, 416 pubmed..This article seeks to provide insights to this issue with regards to pregnancy, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. ..
- Wilson P, Thompson J, Webb N, de Beer F, King V, Tannock L. Serum amyloid A, but not C-reactive protein, stimulates vascular proteoglycan synthesis in a pro-atherogenic manner. Am J Pathol. 2008;173:1902-10 pubmed publisher..Thus, SAA alters vascular proteoglycans in a pro-atherogenic manner via the stimulation of TGF-beta and may play a causal role in the development of atherosclerosis. ..
- Boyanovsky B, Shridas P, Simons M, van der Westhuyzen D, Webb N. Syndecan-4 mediates macrophage uptake of group V secretory phospholipase A2-modified LDL. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:641-50 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data point to a novel role for syndecan-4 in mediating the uptake of GV-LDL, a process implicated in atherosclerotic lesion progression. ..
- Feng H, Li X. Dysfunctional high-density lipoprotein. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2009;16:156-62 pubmed..Further studies are needed to investigate the in-vivo mechanisms of HDL modification and identify therapeutic approaches aiming at controlling HDL modification. ..
- Maier K, Han X, Sadowitz B, Gentile K, Middleton F, Gahtan V. Thrombospondin-1: a proatherosclerotic protein augmented by hyperglycemia. J Vasc Surg. 2010;51:1238-47 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that TSP-1 may be germane to the progression of atherosclerosis and may have a large effect with concurrent hyperglycemia. ..
- Smith J. Exercise and cardiovascular disease. Cardiovasc Hematol Disord Drug Targets. 2010;10:269-72 pubmed..This review briefly summarizes what is known about the inflammatory nature of atherosclerosis and how long-term aerobic exercise can reduce the atherogenic activity of endothelial cells, blood mononuclear cells, and adipose tissue. ..
- Willeit P, Thompson S, Agewall S, BergstrÃ¶m G, Bickel H, Catapano A, et al. Inflammatory markers and extent and progression of early atherosclerosis: Meta-analysis of individual-participant-data from 20 prospective studies of the PROG-IMT collaboration. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2016;23:194-205 pubmed publisher..Our findings for 'inflammatory load' suggest important combined effects of the three inflammatory markers on early atherosclerosis. ..
- Yuan H, Wong L, Bhattacharya M, Ma C, Zafarani M, Yao M, et al. The effects of second-hand smoke on biological processes important in atherogenesis. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2007;7:1 pubmed..The former potentially can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and the latter to heart attacks. ..
- Zhou H, Jarujaron S, Gurley E, Chen L, Ding H, Studer E, et al. HIV protease inhibitors increase TNF-alpha and IL-6 expression in macrophages: involvement of the RNA-binding protein HuR. Atherosclerosis. 2007;195:e134-43 pubmed..Down regulation of HuR expression by siRNA prevented atazanavir-induced increase of TNF-alpha and IL-6. These results suggest that HuR might have an impact on pathophysiological processes of HIV PI-induced atherosclerosis. ..
- Lee P, Li Y, Richards H, Chan F, Zhuang H, Narain S, et al. Type I interferon as a novel risk factor for endothelial progenitor cell depletion and endothelial dysfunction in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:3759-69 pubmed..These data support the novel hypothesis that depletion of EPCs caused by excessive IFN-I may be linked to endothelial dysfunction and increased cardiovascular risk in SLE. ..
- Tian L, Luo N, Klein R, Chung B, Garvey W, Fu Y. Adiponectin reduces lipid accumulation in macrophage foam cells. Atherosclerosis. 2009;202:152-61 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide new insights into potential mechanisms of adiponectin-mediated alterations in lipid metabolism and macrophage foam cell formation which may impact the development of atherosclerosis...
- Smith D, Tan X, Raveendran V, Tawfik O, Stechschulte D, Dileepan K. Mast cell deficiency attenuates progression of atherosclerosis and hepatic steatosis in apolipoprotein E-null mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012;302:H2612-21 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the direct involvement of mast cells in the progression of atherosclerosis and hepatic steatosis. ..
- Rivera M, Lee J, Aneja M, Goswami V, Liu L, Velsko I, et al. Polymicrobial infection with major periodontal pathogens induced periodontal disease and aortic atherosclerosis in hyperlipidemic ApoE(null) mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57178 pubmed publisher..0001). This study was a unique effort to understand the effects of a polymicrobial infection with P. gingivalis, T. denticola and T. forsythia on periodontal disease and associated atherosclerosis in ApoE(null) mice. ..
- Meyer M, Tanaka H, Palta P, Cheng S, Gouskova N, Aguilar D, et al. Correlates of Segmental Pulse Wave Velocity in Older Adults: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Am J Hypertens. 2016;29:114-22 pubmed publisher..Understanding factors that ostensibly play a role in increasing arterial stiffness in different arterial territories can inform opportunities for cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention and risk management. ..
- Agrawal A, Hammond D, Singh S. Atherosclerosis-related functions of C-reactive protein. Cardiovasc Hematol Disord Drug Targets. 2010;10:235-40 pubmed
- Li Y, Xu S, Mihaylova M, Zheng B, Hou X, Jiang B, et al. AMPK phosphorylates and inhibits SREBP activity to attenuate hepatic steatosis and atherosclerosis in diet-induced insulin-resistant mice. Cell Metab. 2011;13:376-388 pubmed publisher..AMPK-dependent phosphorylation of SREBP may offer therapeutic strategies to combat insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, and atherosclerosis. ..
- Hammadah M, Qintar M, Nissen S, John J, Alkharabsheh S, Mobolaji Lawal M, et al. Non-invasive volumetric assessment of aortic atheroma: a core laboratory validation using computed tomography angiography. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016;32:121-9 pubmed publisher..This proposed methodology highlights the potential for utilizing non-invasive aortic plaque imaging for risk prediction across a range of clinical scenarios. ..