Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on arachidonic acid in Germany
Topic: arachidonic acid
- Walther M, Anton M, Wiedmann M, Fletterick R, Kuhn H. The N-terminal domain of the reticulocyte-type 15-lipoxygenase is not essential for enzymatic activity but contains determinants for membrane binding. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:27360-6 pubmed
- Beck Speier I, Dayal N, Karg E, Maier K, Schumann G, Semmler M, et al. Oxymetazoline inhibits proinflammatory reactions: effect on arachidonic acid-derived metabolites. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2006;316:843-51 pubmed
- Sindic A, Velic A, Başoglu C, Hirsch J, Edemir B, Kuhn M, et al. Uroguanylin and guanylin regulate transport of mouse cortical collecting duct independent of guanylate cyclase C. Kidney Int. 2005;68:1008-17 pubmed..The first pathway most likely leads to an activation of the basolateral K+-conductance while the latter probably results in decreased activity of ROMK channels in the luminal membrane. ..
- Mayer K, Kiessling A, Ott J, Schaefer M, Hecker M, Henneke I, et al. Acute lung injury is reduced in fat-1 mice endogenously synthesizing n-3 fatty acids. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;179:474-83 pubmed publisher..fat-1 Mice recovered body temperature and motor activity faster. fat-1 Mice exhibited reduced features of ALI and sickness behavior. Increasing the availability of n-3 FA may thus be beneficial in critically ill patients with ALI. ..
- Wallukat G, Nemecz G, Farkas T, Kuehn H, Wollenberger A. Modulation of the beta-adrenergic response in cultured rat heart cells. I. Beta-adrenergic supersensitivity is induced by lactate via a phospholipase A2 and 15-lipoxygenase involving pathway. Mol Cell Biochem. 1991;102:35-47 pubmed
- Dragusin M, Wehner S, Kelly S, Wang E, Merrill A, Kalff J, et al. Effects of sphingosine-1-phosphate and ceramide-1-phosphate on rat intestinal smooth muscle cells: implications for postoperative ileus. FASEB J. 2006;20:1930-2 pubmed..Thus, the sustained elevated concentration of the two bioactive sphingolipids in this tissue could at least in part explain postoperative intestinal dysmotility. ..
- Meves H. Arachidonic acid and ion channels: an update. Br J Pharmacol. 2008;155:4-16 pubmed publisher..Lipid mediators are of clinical interest because some of them (for example, leukotrienes) play a role in various diseases, others (such as prostaglandins) are targets for pharmacological therapeutic intervention. ..
- Kohlboeck G, Glaser C, Tiesler C, Demmelmair H, Standl M, Romanos M, et al. Effect of fatty acid status in cord blood serum on children's behavioral difficulties at 10 y of age: results from the LISAplus Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011;94:1592-9 pubmed publisher..An appropriate FA supply to the developing fetus may be essential for optimal long-term behavioral outcomes in children. ..
- Suhre K, Meisinger C, Doring A, Altmaier E, Belcredi P, Gieger C, et al. Metabolic footprint of diabetes: a multiplatform metabolomics study in an epidemiological setting. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13953 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that metabolic markers hold the potential to detect diabetes-related complications already under sub-clinical conditions in the general population. ..
- Engelmann B, Schaipp B, Dobner P, Stoeckelhuber M, Kögl C, Siess W, et al. Platelet agonists enhance the import of phosphatidylethanolamine into human platelets. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:27800-8 pubmed..This might contribute to the increase of procoagulant activity of stimulated platelets. ..
- Verhoff M, Seitz S, Northoff H, Jauch J, Schaible A, Werz O. A novel C(28)-hydroxylated lupeolic acid suppresses the biosynthesis of eicosanoids through inhibition of cytosolic phospholipase A(2). Biochem Pharmacol. 2012;84:681-91 pubmed publisher..6 ?M). Together, we identified a novel, naturally occuring C(28)-hydroxylated LA which acts as efficient inhibitor of cPLA(2)? and consequently suppresses eicosanoid biosynthesis in intact cells. ..
- Haubelt H, Anders C, Vogt A, Hoerdt P, Seyfert U, Hellstern P. Variables influencing Platelet Function Analyzer-100 closure times in healthy individuals. Br J Haematol. 2005;130:759-67 pubmed..Establishment of reliable reference ranges and careful standardisation of pre-analytical and analytical conditions is a prerequisite for obtaining reliable PFA-100 results. Duplicate measurements are necessary. ..
- Fleming I. Vascular cytochrome p450 enzymes: physiology and pathophysiology. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2008;18:20-5 pubmed publisher..Epoxyeicosatrienoic acids are recognized as lipid mediators that participate in vascular signaling processes such as the acute regulation of vascular tone and the processes of inflammation and angiogenesis. ..
- Schuchardt J, Schmidt S, Kressel G, Dong H, Willenberg I, Hammock B, et al. Comparison of free serum oxylipin concentrations in hyper- vs. normolipidemic men. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2013;89:19-29 pubmed publisher..Given that the synthesis of EPA from other n-3 FA in humans is low; this suggests that oxylipin levels can be directly influenced by the diet. ..
- Furstenberger G, Krieg P, Muller Decker K, Habenicht A. What are cyclooxygenases and lipoxygenases doing in the driver's seat of carcinogenesis?. Int J Cancer. 2006;119:2247-54 pubmed..e., the 5- and platelet-type 12-lipoxygenase exhibit procarcinogenic activities, while 15-lipoxygenase-1 and 15-lipoxygenase-2 may suppress carcinogenesis. ..
- Namgaladze D, Brüne B. Phospholipase A2-modified low-density lipoprotein activates the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Akt pathway and increases cell survival in monocytic cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006;26:2510-6 pubmed..Our data indicate that PLA-LDL induces activation of the PI3K-Akt pathway and promotes monocytic cell survival, which may contribute to the pro-atherogenic effects of phospholipase A2-modified LDL. ..
- Geppert J, Demmelmair H, Hornstra G, Koletzko B. Co-supplementation of healthy women with fish oil and evening primrose oil increases plasma docosahexaenoic acid, gamma-linolenic acid and dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid levels without reducing arachidonic acid concentrations. Br J Nutr. 2008;99:360-9 pubmed..It increases plasma GLA, DGLA, and DHA levels without impairing ARA status. These data provide a basis for testing this FSO/EPO blend in pregnant women for its effects on maternal and neonatal FA status and infant development. ..
- Garcia R, Reichenbach H, Ring M, Muller R. Phaselicystis flava gen. nov., sp. nov., an arachidonic acid-containing soil myxobacterium, and the description of Phaselicystidaceae fam. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:1524-30 pubmed publisher..nov., sp. nov., but also belong to a new family, Phaselicystidaceae fam. nov. The type strain of Phaselicystis flava is SBKo001(T) (=DSM 21295(T) =NCCB 100230(T)). ..
- Vogel R, Jansen C, Roffeis J, Reddanna P, Forsell P, Claesson H, et al. Applicability of the triad concept for the positional specificity of mammalian lipoxygenases. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:5369-76 pubmed publisher..The specificity of the platelet 12-LOX was partly explained by the triad hypothesis, but the concept was not applicable for 15-LOX2 and (12R)-LOX. ..
- Schweiger D, Furstenberger G, Krieg P. Inducible expression of 15-lipoxygenase-2 and 8-lipoxygenase inhibits cell growth via common signaling pathways. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:553-64 pubmed..Our data suggest that 15-LOX-2 and 8-LOX, although displaying different positional specificity, may use common signaling pathways to induce growth inhibition in premalignant epithelial cells. ..
- Sauerwald U, Fink M, Demmelmair H, Schoenaich P, Rauh Pfeiffer A, Koletzko B. Effect of different levels of docosahexaenoic acid supply on fatty acid status and linoleic and ?-linolenic acid conversion in preterm infants. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012;54:353-63 pubmed publisher..LC-PUFA synthesis was lower in infants fed HM than formulas with different DHA and low AA contents. With the LC-PUFA supplementation used, DHA in formulas did not inhibit AA or DHA synthesis. ..
- Adam O, Wolfram G, Zollner N. Influence of dietary linoleic acid intake with different fat intakes on arachidonic acid concentrations in plasma and platelet lipids and eicosanoid biosynthesis in female volunteers. Ann Nutr Metab. 2003;47:31-6 pubmed..The results show that dietary LA does not increase the AA levels in plasma or platelet lipids and does not persistently contribute to prostaglandin biosynthesis which is increased by AA intake with Western diets. ..
- Dawczynski C, Hackermeier U, Viehweger M, Stange R, Springer M, Jahreis G. Incorporation of n-3 PUFA and ?-linolenic acid in blood lipids and red blood cell lipids together with their influence on disease activity in patients with chronic inflammatory arthritis--a randomized controlled human intervention trial. Lipids Health Dis. 2011;10:130 pubmed publisher..Incorporation of eicosanoid precursor FAs was influenced by an intake of n-3 LC-PUFA and ?-linolenic acid suggesting a possible benefit for therapy of chronic inflammatory diseases. ClinicalTrials NCT01179971. ..
- Huwiler A, Rölz W, Dorsch S, Ren S, Pfeilschifter J. Extracellular ATP and UTP activate the protein kinase B/Akt cascade via the P2Y(2) purinoceptor in renal mesangial cells. Br J Pharmacol. 2002;136:520-9 pubmed..Moreover, in mesangial cells this cascade may have an important role in the antiapoptotic response but not in the mitogenic or inflammatory response produced by extracellular nucleotides. ..
- Decher N, Streit A, Rapedius M, Netter M, Marzian S, Ehling P, et al. RNA editing modulates the binding of drugs and highly unsaturated fatty acids to the open pore of Kv potassium channels. EMBO J. 2010;29:2101-13 pubmed publisher..x channels. Our findings provide a mechanistic understanding of lipid-induced inactivation and establish RNA editing as a mechanism to induce drug and lipid resistance in Kv channels. ..
- Comba A, Almada L, Tolosa E, Iguchi E, Marks D, Vara Messler M, et al. Nuclear Factor of Activated T Cells-dependent Down-regulation of the Transcription Factor Glioma-associated Protein 1 (GLI1) Underlies the Growth Inhibitory Properties of Arachidonic Acid. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:1933-47 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results define a novel mechanism underlying AA antitumoral functions that may serve as a foundation for future PUFA-based therapeutic approaches. ..
- Linke B, Pierre S, Coste O, Angioni C, Becker W, Maier T, et al. Toponomics analysis of drug-induced changes in arachidonic acid-dependent signaling pathways during spinal nociceptive processing. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:4851-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, we show for the first time that monitoring protein network profiles by topological proteomic analysis is a useful tool to identify mechanisms of drug actions. ..
- Weise C, Heunemann C, Loddenkemper C, Herz U, van Tol E, Worm M. Dietary docosahexaenoic acid in combination with arachidonic acid ameliorates allergen-induced dermatitis in mice. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2011;22:497-504 pubmed publisher..Future studies are needed to clarify whether DHA/AA acts directly or whether its biologic active metabolites are responsible for these findings. This may unravel novel therapeutical compounds for allergen-induced dermatitis. ..
- Newie J, Andreou A, Neumann P, Einsle O, Feussner I, Ficner R. Crystal structure of a lipoxygenase from Cyanothece sp. may reveal novel features for substrate acquisition. J Lipid Res. 2016;57:276-87 pubmed publisher..While the core of the active site is important for lipoxygenation and thus highly conserved, peripheral domains functioning in membrane and substrate binding are more variable. ..
- Mansfeld J, Ulbrich Hofmann R. Secretory phospholipase A2-alpha from Arabidopsis thaliana: functional parameters and substrate preference. Chem Phys Lipids. 2007;150:156-66 pubmed..Km values for short chain phospholipids were comparable to sPLA2s from animals, whereas k cat values were much smaller and interfacial activation was less important. ..
- Poeckel D, Tausch L, Kather N, Jauch J, Werz O. Boswellic acids stimulate arachidonic acid release and 12-lipoxygenase activity in human platelets independent of Ca2+ and differentially interact with platelet-type 12-lipoxygenase. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;70:1071-8 pubmed
- Kerkhoff C, Nacken W, Benedyk M, Dagher M, Sopalla C, Doussiere J. The arachidonic acid-binding protein S100A8/A9 promotes NADPH oxidase activation by interaction with p67phox and Rac-2. FASEB J. 2005;19:467-9 pubmed..It is concluded that S100A8/A9 plays an important role in phagocyte NADPH oxidase activation. ..
- Muller W, Bittner K. Differential oxidative modulation of voltage-dependent K+ currents in rat hippocampal neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2002;87:2990-5 pubmed
- Lindner S, Köhl U, Maier T, Steinhilber D, Sorg B. TLR2 ligands augment cPLA2alpha activity and lead to enhanced leukotriene release in human monocytes. J Leukoc Biol. 2009;86:389-99 pubmed publisher..TLR2 ligand-induced increase of AA release was blocked by a neutralizing anti-hTLR2 antibody, indicating that TLR2 mediates augmented cPLA(2) activation and subsequent LT biosynthesis. ..
- Juergens U, Stober M, Vetter H. The anti-inflammatory activity of L-menthol compared to mint oil in human monocytes in vitro: a novel perspective for its therapeutic use in inflammatory diseases. Eur J Med Res. 1998;3:539-45 pubmed..Therefore, clinical trials investigating the potential therapeutic efficacy of L-menthol for treatment of chronic inflammatory disorders such as bronchial asthma, colitis and allergic rhinitis seem worthwhile. ..
- Xian Tao Li -, Dyachenko V, Zuzarte M, Putzke C, Preisig Müller R, Isenberg G, et al. The stretch-activated potassium channel TREK-1 in rat cardiac ventricular muscle. Cardiovasc Res. 2006;69:86-97 pubmed
- Jansen C, Hofheinz K, Vogel R, Roffeis J, Anton M, Reddanna P, et al. Stereocontrol of arachidonic acid oxygenation by vertebrate lipoxygenases: newly cloned zebrafish lipoxygenase 1 does not follow the Ala-versus-Gly concept. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:37804-12 pubmed publisher..Taken together these data indicate that the Ala-versus-Gly concept may not always predict the reaction specificity of vertebrate LOX isoforms. ..
- Gierten J, Hassel D, Schweizer P, Becker R, Katus H, Thomas D. Identification and functional characterization of zebrafish K(2P)10.1 (TREK2) two-pore-domain K(+) channels. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1818:33-41 pubmed publisher..1 two-pore-domain K(+) channels that exhibit structural and functional properties largely similar to human K(2P)10.1. We conclude that the zebrafish represents a valid model to study K(2P)10.1 function in vivo. ..
- Hornung E, Korfei M, Pernstich C, Struss A, Kindl H, Fulda M, et al. Specific formation of arachidonic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid by a front-end Delta5-desaturase from Phytophthora megasperma. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1686:181-9 pubmed..Detailed analysis of the different lipid species showed a preferential occurrence of the desaturation reaction for fatty acids esterified to phosphatidylcholine. ..
- Sopalla C, Leukert N, Sorg C, Kerkhoff C. Evidence for the involvement of the unique C-tail of S100A9 in the binding of arachidonic acid to the heterocomplex S100A8/A9. Biol Chem. 2002;383:1895-905 pubmed..The localization of the AA-binding site within the unique C-tail of S100A9 correlates with the fact that fatty acid binding has not yet been reported for other S100 proteins. ..
- Kerkhoff C, Sorg C, Tandon N, Nacken W. Interaction of S100A8/S100A9-arachidonic acid complexes with the scavenger receptor CD36 may facilitate fatty acid uptake by endothelial cells. Biochemistry. 2001;40:241-8 pubmed..Therefore, it can be envisioned that their interaction might propagate host response by perpetuating recruitment and activation of cellular effectors. ..
- Gross V, Schunck W, Honeck H, Milia A, Kärgel E, Walther T, et al. Inhibition of pressure natriuresis in mice lacking the AT2 receptor. Kidney Int. 2000;57:191-202 pubmed..AT2 receptor disruption induces alterations of other regulatory systems, including altered arachidonic acid metabolism, that may contribute to the intrarenal differences observed between AT2 receptor knockout and wild-type mice. ..
- Kerkhoff C, Vogl T, Nacken W, Sopalla C, Sorg C. Zinc binding reverses the calcium-induced arachidonic acid-binding capacity of the S100A8/A9 protein complex. FEBS Lett. 1999;460:134-8 pubmed..Due to the fact that the inhibitory effect of Zn2+ was present at physiological serum concentrations, it is assumed that released S100A8/A9 may carry AA at inflammatory lesions, but not within the blood compartment. ..
- Drzymała Czyż S, Janich S, Klingler M, Demmelmair J, Walkowiak J, Koletzko B. Whole blood glycerophospholipids in dried blood spots - a reliable marker for the fatty acid status. Chem Phys Lipids. 2017;207:1-9 pubmed publisher..3%±1.6). Whole blood GPL fatty acids are a robust biological marker for the fatty acid status of fasted and non-fasted subjects. The influence of very recent dietary intake on whole blood GPL is smaller than on whole blood total lipids. ..