Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on apoptosis in United States
Locale: United States
Publications865 found, 100 shown here
- Brooks W, Helton E, Banerjee S, Venable M, Johnson L, Schoeb T, et al. G2E3 is a dual function ubiquitin ligase required for early embryonic development. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:22304-15 pubmed publisher..In adult animals, the most intense staining is found in Purkinje cell bodies and cells lining the ductus deferens. In summary, G2E3 is a dual function ubiquitin ligase essential for prevention of apoptosis in early embryogenesis. ..
- Sui X, Li D, Qiu H, Gaussin V, Depre C. Activation of the bone morphogenetic protein receptor by H11kinase/Hsp22 promotes cardiac cell growth and survival. Circ Res. 2009;104:887-95 pubmed publisher..Therefore, potentiation of the BMP receptor by H11K promotes an activation of the PI3K/Akt pathway mediated by TAK1, which dictates the physiological effects of H11K on cardiac cell growth and survival. ..
- Taglauer E, Yankee T, Petroff M. Maternal PD-1 regulates accumulation of fetal antigen-specific CD8+ T cells in pregnancy. J Reprod Immunol. 2009;80:12-21 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that PD-1 plays a previously unrecognized role in maternal-fetal tolerance by inducing apoptosis of paternal antigen-specific T cells during pregnancy, thereby controlling their abundance. ..
- Wei G, Srinivasan R, Cantemir Stone C, Sharma S, Santhanam R, Weinstein M, et al. Ets1 and Ets2 are required for endothelial cell survival during embryonic angiogenesis. Blood. 2009;114:1123-30 pubmed publisher..These results establish essential and overlapping functions for Ets1 and Ets2 in coordinating endothelial cell functions with survival during embryonic angiogenesis. ..
- He P, Shen Y. Interruption of beta-catenin signaling reduces neurogenesis in Alzheimer's disease. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6545-57 pubmed publisher..Similar results were observed in GPCs isolated from AD transgenic mice. These results suggest that Abeta-induced interruption of beta-catenin signaling may contribute to the impairment of neurogenesis in AD progenitor cells. ..
- Dickinson B, Moffatt C, Hagerty D, Whitmore S, Brown T, Graves D, et al. Interaction of oral bacteria with gingival epithelial cell multilayers. Mol Oral Microbiol. 2011;26:210-20 pubmed publisher..In addition, distinct host responses characterized the interaction between the junctional epithelium and oral bacteria. ..
- McDowell M, Das A, Smith J, Varma A, Ray S, Banik N. Neuroprotective effects of genistein in VSC4.1 motoneurons exposed to activated microglial cytokines. Neurochem Int. 2011;59:175-84 pubmed publisher..1 motoneurons. We conclude that GEN protects cultured ventral spinal cord 4.1 cells from inflammatory insult and thus may represent a potential beneficial therapy in the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Sailaja G, Bhoopathi P, Gorantla B, Chetty C, Gogineni V, Velpula K, et al. The secreted protein acidic and rich in cysteine (SPARC) induces endoplasmic reticulum stress leading to autophagy-mediated apoptosis in neuroblastoma. Int J Oncol. 2013;42:188-96 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results illustrate the critical role of ER stress in regulating autophagy-mediated apoptosis in SPARC-overexpressed neuroblastoma cells and radiation treatment. ..
- Dominguez J, Samocha A, Liang Z, Burd E, Farris A, Coopersmith C. Inhibition of IKK? in enterocytes exacerbates sepsis-induced intestinal injury and worsens mortality. Crit Care Med. 2013;41:e275-85 pubmed publisher..Nuclear factor-?B is a critical regulator of cell-survival genes and the host inflammatory response. The purpose of this study was to investigate the role of enterocyte-specific NF-kB in sepsis through selective ablation of IkB kinase...
- Sawada O, Perusek L, Kohno H, Howell S, Maeda A, Matsuyama S, et al. All-trans-retinal induces Bax activation via DNA damage to mediate retinal cell apoptosis. Exp Eye Res. 2014;123:27-36 pubmed publisher..atRAL-induced oxidative stress results in DNA damage leading to the activation of Bax by phosphorylated p53. This cascade is closely associated with an apoptotic cell death mechanism rather than necrosis...
- White K, Dempsie Y, Caruso P, Wallace E, McDonald R, Stevens H, et al. Endothelial apoptosis in pulmonary hypertension is controlled by a microRNA/programmed cell death 4/caspase-3 axis. Hypertension. 2014;64:185-94 pubmed publisher..Broadly, these findings support the existence of a microRNA-21-responsive PDCD4/caspase-3 pathway in the pulmonary tissues that when active serves to promote endothelial apoptosis in vitro and PH in vivo. ..
- Grossman C, Qian Y, Banki K, Perl A. ZNF143 mediates basal and tissue-specific expression of human transaldolase. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:12190-205 pubmed..Thus, ZNF143 plays a key role in basal and tissue-specific expression of transaldolase and regulation of the metabolic network controlling cell survival and differentiation. ..
- Jang Y, Kendaiah S, Drew B, Phillips T, Selman C, Julian D, et al. Doxorubicin treatment in vivo activates caspase-12 mediated cardiac apoptosis in both male and female rats. FEBS Lett. 2004;577:483-90 pubmed..Moreover, no major sex differences exist in apoptosis signaling transduction cascade due to doxorubicin treatment. ..
- Wu X, Pan G, McKenna M, Zayzafoon M, Xiong W, McDonald J. RANKL regulates Fas expression and Fas-mediated apoptosis in osteoclasts. J Bone Miner Res. 2005;20:107-16 pubmed..In differentiated mature osteoclasts, RANKL reduces the levels of Fas expression and Fas-mediated apoptosis, acting as a survival factor. ..
- Golubovskaya V, Finch R, Cance W. Direct interaction of the N-terminal domain of focal adhesion kinase with the N-terminal transactivation domain of p53. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:25008-21 pubmed..This provides a novel mechanism for FAK-p53-mediated survival/apoptotic signaling. ..
- Grommes C, Landreth G, Sastre M, Beck M, Feinstein D, Jacobs A, et al. Inhibition of in vivo glioma growth and invasion by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma agonist treatment. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;70:1524-33 pubmed..Together, these data indicate that pioglitazone may be of potential use in treatment of malignant gliomas. ..
- Sarkar A, Hall M, Exline M, Hart J, Knatz N, Gatson N, et al. Caspase-1 regulates Escherichia coli sepsis and splenic B cell apoptosis independently of interleukin-1beta and interleukin-18. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:1003-10 pubmed..Taken together, these findings suggest that caspase-1 is important in the host response to sepsis at least in part via its ability to regulate sepsis-induced splenic cell apoptosis. ..
- Sun Y, Fox T, Adhikary G, Kester M, Pearlman E. Inhibition of corneal inflammation by liposomal delivery of short-chain, C-6 ceramide. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;83:1512-21 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings demonstrate a novel, anti-inflammatory, nontoxic, therapeutic role for liposomally delivered short-chain ceramide. ..
- Soundararajan S, Chen W, Spicer E, Courtenay Luck N, Fernandes D. The nucleolin targeting aptamer AS1411 destabilizes Bcl-2 messenger RNA in human breast cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2008;68:2358-65 pubmed publisher..This interferes with the stabilization of bcl-2 mRNA by nucleolin and may be one mechanism by which AS1411 induces tumor cell death. ..
- Vetterkind S, Morgan K. The pro-apoptotic protein Par-4 facilitates vascular contractility by cytoskeletal targeting of ZIPK. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13:887-95 pubmed publisher..These results identify Par-4 as a novel regulator of myosin light chain phosphorylation in differentiated, contractile vascular smooth muscle. ..
- Yun J, Afaq F, Khan N, Mukhtar H. Delphinidin, an anthocyanidin in pigmented fruits and vegetables, induces apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in human colon cancer HCT116 cells. Mol Carcinog. 2009;48:260-270 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that delphinidin treatment of HCT116 cells suppressed NF-kappaB pathway, resulting in G2/M phase arrest and apoptosis. We suggest that delphinidin could have potential in inhibiting colon cancer growth. ..
- Campbell S, Rudder B, Phillips R, Whaley S, Stimmel J, Leesnitzer L, et al. ?-Tocotrienol induces growth arrest through a novel pathway with TGF?2 in prostate cancer. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;50:1344-54 pubmed publisher..In addition, the latent precursor and the mature forms of TGF?2 are down-regulated after treatment with GT3, with concomitant disruptions in TGF? receptor I, SMAD-2, p38, and NF-?B signaling. ..
- Ng K, Ebrahem Q, Negrotto S, Mahfouz R, Link K, Hu Z, et al. p53 independent epigenetic-differentiation treatment in xenotransplant models of acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia. 2011;25:1739-50 pubmed publisher..Modifying in vivo dose and schedule to emphasize this pathway of decitabine action can bypass a mechanism of resistance to standard therapy. ..
- Gogada R, Prabhu V, Amadori M, Scott R, Hashmi S, Chandra D. Resveratrol induces p53-independent, X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein (XIAP)-mediated Bax protein oligomerization on mitochondria to initiate cytochrome c release and caspase activation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28749-60 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings characterize the molecular mechanisms of resveratrol-induced caspase activation and subsequent apoptosis in cancer cells. ..
- Morgan S, Yamanouchi D, Harberg C, Wang Q, Keller M, Si Y, et al. Elevated protein kinase C-? contributes to aneurysm pathogenesis through stimulation of apoptosis and inflammatory signaling. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:2493-502 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of PKC? may serve as a potential therapeutic strategy for AAA. ..
- Chung M, Narayanan A, Popova T, Kashanchi F, Bailey C, Popov S. Bacillus anthracis-derived nitric oxide induces protein S-nitrosylation contributing to macrophage death. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;430:125-30 pubmed publisher..This novel mechanism of anthrax pathogenesis may offer specific approach to the development of therapeutics. ..
- Bryce S, Avlasevich S, Bemis J, Tate M, Walmsley R, Saad F, et al. Flow cytometric 96-well microplate-based in vitro micronucleus assay with human TK6 cells: protocol optimization and transferability assessment. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2013;54:180-94 pubmed publisher..The 96-well format consumes considerably less compound than conventional in vitro MN test methods, and the high information content provided by flow cytometry helps guard against irrelevant positive results arising from overt toxicity. ..
- Howard C, McDowell R, Feleke K, Deer E, Stamps S, Thames E, et al. Chemotherapeutic Vulnerability of Triple-negative Breast Cancer Cell-derived Tumors to Pretreatment with Vernonia amygdalina Aqueous Extracts. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:3933-43 pubmed..VA extracts induce apoptosis, exhibit additive effects, inhibit tumor growth and display chemo-preventive actions against TNBCs. ..
- McCrink K, Maning J, Vu A, Jafferjee M, Marrero C, Brill A, et al. ?-Arrestin2 Improves Post-Myocardial Infarction Heart Failure via Sarco(endo)plasmic Reticulum Ca2+-ATPase-Dependent Positive Inotropy in Cardiomyocytes. Hypertension. 2017;70:972-981 pubmed publisher..Thus, cardiac ?arr2 gene transfer might be a novel, safe positive inotropic therapy for both acute and chronic post-MI heart failure. ..
- Singh N, Lai H. Artemisinin induces apoptosis in human cancer cells. Anticancer Res. 2004;24:2277-80 pubmed..5, df=1, p<0.035). No necrotic cells were observed. This rapid induction of apoptosis in cancer cells after treatment with DHA indicates that artemisinin and its analogs may be inexpensive and effective cancer agents. ..
- Garris B, Novikova L, Lau Y, Garris D. Hypophyseal lipoapoptosis: diabetes (db/db) mutation-associated cytolipidemia promotes pituitary cellular disruption and dysfunction. Pituitary. 2004;7:5-14 pubmed
- Shimizu T, Ho L, Lai Z. The mob as tumor suppressor gene is essential for early development and regulates tissue growth in Drosophila. Genetics. 2008;178:957-65 pubmed publisher..Although mats depletion leads to aberrant mitoses, this does not seem to be due to compromised mitotic spindle checkpoint function. ..
- LaCount D, Hanson S, Schneider C, Friesen P. Caspase inhibitor P35 and inhibitor of apoptosis Op-IAP block in vivo proteolytic activation of an effector caspase at different steps. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:15657-64 pubmed
- Springs S, Diavolitsis V, Goodhouse J, McLendon G. The kinetics of translocation of Smac/DIABLO from the mitochondria to the cytosol in HeLa cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45715-8 pubmed..These results suggest that Smac and cytochrome c may exit the mitochondria by different pathways. ..
- Mai H, May W, Gao F, Jin Z, Deng X. A functional role for nicotine in Bcl2 phosphorylation and suppression of apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:1886-91 pubmed..Therefore, novel therapeutic strategies for lung cancer in which Bcl2 is expressed may be used to abrogate the anti-apoptotic activity of Bcl2 by inhibiting multiple upstream nicotine-activated pathways. ..
- Huang Z, Buchsbaum D, Raisch K, Bonner J, Bland K, Vickers S. Differential responses by pancreatic carcinoma cell lines to prolonged exposure to Erbitux (IMC-C225) anti-EGFR antibody. J Surg Res. 2003;111:274-83 pubmed
- Corcoran C, He Q, Huang Y, Sheikh M. Cyclooxygenase-2 interacts with p53 and interferes with p53-dependent transcription and apoptosis. Oncogene. 2005;24:1634-40 pubmed..Based on our results, we propose that p53-dependent upregulation and activation of COX-2 appear to be yet another novel mechanism by which p53 could abate its own growth-inhibitory and apoptotic effects. ..
- Uriarte S, Joshi Barve S, Song Z, Sahoo R, Gobejishvili L, Jala V, et al. Akt inhibition upregulates FasL, downregulates c-FLIPs and induces caspase-8-dependent cell death in Jurkat T lymphocytes. Cell Death Differ. 2005;12:233-42 pubmed..These data demonstrate yet another important survival function governed by Akt kinase in T lymphocytes, which involves the regulation of FasL expression and consequent apoptotic signaling. ..
- Okere I, Chandler M, McElfresh T, Rennison J, Sharov V, Sabbah H, et al. Differential effects of saturated and unsaturated fatty acid diets on cardiomyocyte apoptosis, adipose distribution, and serum leptin. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;291:H38-44 pubmed..In conclusion, dietary fatty acid composition affects cardiac ceramide accumulation, cardiomyocyte apoptosis, and expression of PPAR-regulated genes independent of cardiac mass or function. ..
- Wu W, Misra R, Russell J, Flavell R, Rincon M, Budd R. Proteolytic regulation of nuclear factor of activated T (NFAT) c2 cells and NFAT activity by caspase-3. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:10682-90 pubmed..Our findings reveal a new post-transcriptional regulation of NFATc2 that operates, not only during apoptosis, but also in non-apoptotic effector T cells. ..
- Levitt J, Baldwin A, Papadakis A, Puri S, Xylas J, Munger K, et al. Intrinsic fluorescence and redox changes associated with apoptosis of primary human epithelial cells. J Biomed Opt. 2006;11:064012 pubmed..Thus, autofluorescence localization changes could serve as a sensitive, noninvasive indicator of early apoptosis in vivo. ..
- Kotakadi V, Jin Y, Hofseth A, Ying L, Cui X, Volate S, et al. Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 has anti-inflammatory properties and ameliorates colitis in mice by driving effector T cell apoptosis. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:1799-806 pubmed publisher..This current study is in agreement with previous studies supporting a use of EGb 761 as a complementary and alternative strategy to abate colitis and associated colon cancer. ..
- Eubank T, Roberts R, Khan M, Curry J, Nuovo G, Kuppusamy P, et al. Granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor inhibits breast cancer growth and metastasis by invoking an anti-angiogenic program in tumor-educated macrophages. Cancer Res. 2009;69:2133-40 pubmed publisher..In situ hybridization and flow cytometry identified macrophages as the primary source of sVEGFR-1. These data suggest that GM-CSF can re-educate macrophages to reduce angiogenesis and metastases in murine breast cancer. ..
- Norton M, Fortner K, Bizargity P, Bonney E. Pregnancy alters the proliferation and apoptosis of mouse splenic erythroid lineage cells and leukocytes. Biol Reprod. 2009;81:457-64 pubmed publisher..In contrast, neutrophils exhibited augmented proliferation throughout pregnancy. These subset-specific alterations in proliferation and death in the spleen suggest that complex regulation of population dynamics exists during pregnancy. ..
- Kilinc M, Rowswell Turner R, Gu T, Virtuoso L, Egilmez N. Activated CD8+ T-effector/memory cells eliminate CD4+ CD25+ Foxp3+ T-suppressor cells from tumors via FasL mediated apoptosis. J Immunol. 2009;183:7656-60 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a mechanism by which cytotoxic T cells can abrogate regulatory cell activity. ..
- ..A recent study in BMC Genomics shows that microRNA-like effects can predominate among the 'hits' of functional genomics screens. ..
- Kielczewski J, Hu P, Shaw L, Li Calzi S, Mames R, Gardiner T, et al. Novel protective properties of IGFBP-3 result in enhanced pericyte ensheathment, reduced microglial activation, increased microglial apoptosis, and neuronal protection after ischemic retinal injury. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:1517-28 pubmed publisher
- Lu J, Aggarwal R, Kanji S, Das M, Joseph M, POMPILI V, et al. Human ovarian tumor cells escape ?? T cell recognition partly by down regulating surface expression of MICA and limiting cell cycle related molecules. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23348 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate novel effects of ??T cells on ovarian tumor cells. ..
- Holpuch A, Phelps M, Desai K, Chen W, Koutras G, Han B, et al. Evaluation of a mucoadhesive fenretinide patch for local intraoral delivery: a strategy to reintroduce fenretinide for oral cancer chemoprevention. Carcinogenesis. 2012;33:1098-105 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data showed that mucoadhesive patch-mediated fenretinide delivery is a viable strategy to reintroduce a compound known to induce keratinocyte differentiation to human oral cancer chemoprevention trials. ..
- Givvimani S, Munjal C, Tyagi N, Sen U, Metreveli N, Tyagi S. Mitochondrial division/mitophagy inhibitor (Mdivi) ameliorates pressure overload induced heart failure. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32388 pubmed publisher..Above results suggest that Mdivi inhibits the abnormal cardiac mitophagy response during sustained pressure overload stress and propose the novel therapeutic role of Mdivi in ameliorating heart failure. ..
- Zhang Y, Srinivasan B, Xing C, Lu J. A new chalcone derivative (E)-3-(4-methoxyphenyl)-2-methyl-1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)prop-2-en-1-one suppresses prostate cancer involving p53-mediated cell cycle arrests and apoptosis. Anticancer Res. 2012;32:3689-98 pubmed..Furthermore, i.p. administration of CHO27 suppressed the growth of established PCa 22Rv1 xenograft tumors accompanied with p53 and p21(Cip1) induction. CHO27 may be a lead for development of new therapeutic agents for PCa. ..
- Rodova M, Fu J, Watkins D, Srivastava R, Shankar S. Sonic hedgehog signaling inhibition provides opportunities for targeted therapy by sulforaphane in regulating pancreatic cancer stem cell self-renewal. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46083 pubmed publisher..Thus Sulforaphane potentially represents an inexpensive, safe and effective alternative for the management of pancreatic cancer. ..
- Mukhtar E, Adhami V, Khan N, Mukhtar H. Apoptosis and autophagy induction as mechanism of cancer prevention by naturally occurring dietary agents. Curr Drug Targets. 2012;13:1831-41 pubmed..This review discusses the induction of apoptosis and autophagy as a mechanism of cancer prevention by some of the most studied naturally occurring dietary compounds. ..
- Massoll C, Mando W, Chintala S. Excitotoxicity upregulates SARM1 protein expression and promotes Wallerian-like degeneration of retinal ganglion cells and their axons. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:2771-80 pubmed publisher..Results presented in this study, for the first time, show that KA-mediated upregulation of SARM1 protein promotes Wallerian-like degeneration of RGCs and their axons. ..
- Cataldo A, Cheung D, Balsari A, Tagliabue E, Coppola V, Iorio M, et al. miR-302b enhances breast cancer cell sensitivity to cisplatin by regulating E2F1 and the cellular DNA damage response. Oncotarget. 2016;7:786-97 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that miR-302b plays a relevant role in breast cancer cell response to cisplatin through the modulation of the E2F1/ATM axis, representing a valid candidate as therapeutic tool to overcome chemotherapy resistance. ..
- Villamizar O, Chambers C, Mo Y, Torry D, Hofstrand R, Riberdy J, et al. Fas-antisense long noncoding RNA is differentially expressed during maturation of human erythrocytes and confers resistance to Fas-mediated cell death. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2016;58:57-66 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal a novel lncRNA-regulated mechanism that modulates a critical cell death program during human erythropoiesis. ..
- Smith J, Schaffner A, Hofmeister J, Hartman M, Wei G, Forsthoefel D, et al. ets-2 is a target for an akt (Protein kinase B)/jun N-terminal kinase signaling pathway in macrophages of motheaten-viable mutant mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8026-34 pubmed..Constitutive ets-2 activity may contribute to the pathology of me-v mice by increasing expression of genes like the Bcl-x gene that promote macrophage survival. ..
- Dallalio G, Means R. Effects of oxidative stress on human erythroid colony formation: Modulation by gamma-interferon. J Lab Clin Med. 2003;141:395-400 pubmed..These findings suggest that inflammatory cytokines implicated in the pathogenesis of the anemia of chronic disease may exert their effects at least in part through modulation of oxidative stress. ..
- Festoff B, Ameenuddin S, Santacruz K, Morser J, Suo Z, Arnold P, et al. Neuroprotective effects of recombinant thrombomodulin in controlled contusion spinal cord injury implicates thrombin signaling. J Neurotrauma. 2004;21:907-22 pubmed..They identify a neuroprotective role for rTM by its inhibition of thrombin generation and blockade of PAR activation. ..
- Brafman A, Mett I, Shafir M, Gottlieb H, Damari G, Gozlan Kelner S, et al. Inhibition of oxygen-induced retinopathy in RTP801-deficient mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:3796-805 pubmed..0001). In the absence of RTP801 expression, development of retinopathy in the mouse model of ROP was significantly attenuated, thus implying an important role of RTP801 in the pathogenesis of ROP. ..
- Arduini B, Henion P. Melanophore sublineage-specific requirement for zebrafish touchtone during neural crest development. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1353-64 pubmed..Further, our results suggest that, like other neural crest-derived sublineages, melanogenic precursors constitute a heterogeneous population with respect to genetic requirements for development...
- Wei G, Li A, Liu X. Insights into selective activation of p53 DNA binding by c-Abl. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:12271-8 pubmed..The implications of this with relation to selective activation of p53 target genes involved in either growth arrest or apoptosis are discussed. ..
- Chang X, Gao J, Jiang Q, Wen J, Seifers N, Su L, et al. The Scurfy mutation of FoxP3 in the thymus stroma leads to defective thymopoiesis. J Exp Med. 2005;202:1141-51 pubmed
- Shogren K, Turner R, Yaszemski M, Maran A. Double-stranded RNA-dependent protein kinase is involved in 2-methoxyestradiol-mediated cell death of osteosarcoma cells. J Bone Miner Res. 2007;22:29-36 pubmed..We conclude from these results that PKR is regulated by 2-ME independently of interferon and is essential for 2-ME-mediated cell death in MG63 osteosarcoma cells. ..
- Bradford P, Awad A. Phytosterols as anticancer compounds. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2007;51:161-70 pubmed..This review summarizes the current state of knowledge regarding the anticancer effects of phytosterols. ..
- Schelling J, Abu Jawdeh B. Regulation of cell survival by Na+/H+ exchanger-1. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;295:F625-32 pubmed publisher..In contrast to connotations of NHE1 as an unimportant "housekeeping" protein, this review highlights that NHE1 activity is critical for countering tubular atrophy and chronic renal disease progression. ..
- Zhao Y, Rangnekar V. Apoptosis and tumor resistance conferred by Par-4. Cancer Biol Ther. 2008;7:1867-74 pubmed..The tumor resistant phenotype and undetectable toxicity of SAC in vivo suggests the SAC domain possesses tremendous therapeutic potential. ..
- Arvapalli R, Paturi S, Laurino J, Katta A, Kakarla S, Gadde M, et al. Deferasirox decreases age-associated iron accumulation in the aging F344XBN rat heart and liver. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2010;10:108-16 pubmed publisher..05). Taken together, these data suggest that deferasirox may be effective in diminishing age-associated iron accumulation and cardiac apoptosis in the F344XBN rat model. ..
- Cipriano R, Patton J, Mayo L, Jackson M. Inactivation of p53 signaling by p73 or PTEN ablation results in a transformed phenotype that remains susceptible to Nutlin-3 mediated apoptosis. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:1373-9 pubmed..Our novel and unexpected finding provides important information regarding the efficacy of Nutlin-3 and indicates that patients with tumors deficient in p53 function due to p73 or PTEN loss may benefit from Nutlin-3 treatment. ..
- Baltgalvis K, Berger F, Pena M, Mark Davis J, White J, Carson J. Activity level, apoptosis, and development of cachexia in Apc(Min/+) mice. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2010;109:1155-61 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that decrements in wheel running performance precede loss of body mass and that inherent muscle oxidative capacity is not protective against muscle apoptosis. ..
- Arsenescu V, Narasimhan M, Halide T, Bressan R, Barisione C, Cohen D, et al. Adiponectin and plant-derived mammalian adiponectin homolog exert a protective effect in murine colitis. Dig Dis Sci. 2011;56:2818-32 pubmed publisher..Reducing adiponectin resistance or using plant-derived adiponectin homologs may become therapeutic options in inflammatory bowel disease. ..
- Thongngarm T, Jenkins J, Ndebele K, McMurray R. Estrogen and progesterone modulate monocyte cell cycle progression and apoptosis. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2003;49:129-38 pubmed..Further investigation should provide a better understanding of pregnancy-induced immune changes and, perhaps, sex-based differences in monocyte function and immunologic responses. ..
- Xie Q, Gan L, Wang J, Wilson I, Li L. Loss of the innate immunity negative regulator IRAK-M leads to enhanced host immune defense against tumor growth. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:3453-61 pubmed..Collectively, we demonstrate that IRAK-M is directly involved in the regulation of both innate and adaptive immune signaling processes, and deletion of IRAK-M enhances host anti-tumor immune response. ..
- Kavazis A, McClung J, Hood D, Powers S. Exercise induces a cardiac mitochondrial phenotype that resists apoptotic stimuli. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;294:H928-35 pubmed..Furthermore, these results are consistent with the concept that exercise-induced mitochondrial adaptations contribute to exercise-induced cardioprotection. ..
- Song J, Kandasamy K, Kraft A. ABT-737 induces expression of the death receptor 5 and sensitizes human cancer cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:25003-13 pubmed publisher..Combinations of ABT-737 and TRAIL can be exploited therapeutically where antiapoptotic Bcl-2 family members drive tumor cell resistance to current anticancer therapies. ..
- Krueger K, Deneris E. Serotonergic transcription of human FEV reveals direct GATA factor interactions and fate of Pet-1-deficient serotonin neuron precursors. J Neurosci. 2008;28:12748-58 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify a direct transcriptional interaction between Gata-2 and FEV and a unique marker for new insight into FEV/Pet-1 function in 5-HT neuron development. ..
- Aslan J, You H, Williamson D, Endig J, Youker R, Thomas L, et al. Akt and 14-3-3 control a PACS-2 homeostatic switch that integrates membrane traffic with TRAIL-induced apoptosis. Mol Cell. 2009;34:497-509 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies identify the phosphorylation state of PACS-2 Ser437 as a molecular switch that integrates cellular homeostasis with TRAIL-induced apoptosis. ..
- Bill M, Fuchs J, Li C, Yui J, Bakan C, Benson D, et al. The small molecule curcumin analog FLLL32 induces apoptosis in melanoma cells via STAT3 inhibition and retains the cellular response to cytokines with anti-tumor activity. Mol Cancer. 2010;9:165 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that FLLL32 represents a lead compound that could serve as a platform for further optimization to develop improved STAT3 specific inhibitors for melanoma therapy. ..
- Tang Y, Chen Y, Jiang H, Robbins G, Nie D. G-protein-coupled receptor for short-chain fatty acids suppresses colon cancer. Int J Cancer. 2011;128:847-56 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that GPR43 functions as a tumor suppressor by mediating SCFA-induced cell proliferation inhibition and apoptotic cell death in colon cancer. ..
- Chen Y, Sawada O, Kohno H, Le Y, SUBAUSTE C, Maeda T, et al. Autophagy protects the retina from light-induced degeneration. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:7506-18 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these observations provide novel evidence implicating an important role of autophagy and mitophagy in protecting the retina from all-trans-retinal- and light-induced degeneration. ..
- Gao X, Lin B, Sadayappan S, Patel T. Interactions between the regulatory subunit of type I protein kinase A and p90 ribosomal S6 kinase1 regulate cardiomyocyte apoptosis. Mol Pharmacol. 2014;85:357-67 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings demonstrate that H/R-mediated decrease in PKARI? protein levels leads to activation of RSK1, which via phosphorylation of NHE1 induces cardiomyocyte apoptosis. ..
- Glerup S, Olsen D, Vaegter C, Gustafsen C, Sjoegaard S, Hermey G, et al. SorCS2 regulates dopaminergic wiring and is processed into an apoptotic two-chain receptor in peripheral glia. Neuron. 2014;82:1074-87 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have demonstrated that two-chain processing of SorCS2 enables neurons and glia to respond differently to proneurotrophins. ..
- Fancy R, Wang L, Schmid T, Zeng Q, Wang H, Zhou T, et al. Characterization of the Interactions between Calmodulin and Death Receptor 5 in Triple-negative and Estrogen Receptor-positive Breast Cancer Cells: AN INTEGRATED EXPERIMENTAL AND COMPUTATIONAL STUDY. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:12862-70 pubmed publisher..Results from this study provide a key step for the further investigation of the role of CaM-DR5 binding in DR5-mediated DISC formation for apoptosis in breast cancer cells. ..
- Komada M, Soriano P. Hrs, a FYVE finger protein localized to early endosomes, is implicated in vesicular traffic and required for ventral folding morphogenesis. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1475-85 pubmed..The vesicular localization of Hrs was disrupted in cells treated with wortmannin, implicating Hrs in the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathway of membrane trafficking. ..
- Lu E, Wolfe J. Lysosomal enzymes in the macronucleus of Tetrahymena during its apoptosis-like degradation. Cell Death Differ. 2001;8:289-97 pubmed..We conclude that although macronuclear elimination is initiated by an apoptosis-like mechanism, its final degradation may be achieved through autophagosomy...
- Dee K, Dechant A, Weyman C. Differential signaling through NFkappaB does not ameliorate skeletal myoblast apoptosis during differentiation. FEBS Lett. 2003;545:246-52 pubmed..Since signaling by IkappaB kinase can abrogate differentiation, this result demonstrates that abrogated differentiation and abrogated apoptosis are separable phenotypes. ..
- Yamane K, Chen J, Kinsella T. Both DNA topoisomerase II-binding protein 1 and BRCA1 regulate the G2-M cell cycle checkpoint. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3049-53 pubmed..These results indicate that both TopBP1 and BRCA1 specifically regulate the G(2)-M checkpoint, partially compensating each function. ..
- Zhang Q, Yoshimatsu Y, Hildebrand J, Frisch S, Goodman R. Homeodomain interacting protein kinase 2 promotes apoptosis by downregulating the transcriptional corepressor CtBP. Cell. 2003;115:177-86 pubmed..Finally, reduction in CtBP levels, either by genetic knockout or siRNA, promoted apoptosis in p53-deficient cells. These findings provide a pathway for UV-induced apoptosis in cells lacking p53. ..
- Sur P, Sribnick E, Patel S, Ray S, Banik N. Dexamethasone decreases temozolomide-induced apoptosis in human gliobastoma T98G cells. Glia. 2005;50:160-7 pubmed..These experimental results indicate that DXM works as an antagonistic agent in combination with TMZ. Therefore, our investigation strongly implies that the combination of DXM and TMZ may be counteractive in treating human glioblastoma. ..