Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on apoptosis in Sweden
Publications252 found, 100 shown here
- Wallin T, Ma Z, Ogata H, Jørgensen I, Iezzi M, Wang H, et al. Facilitation of fatty acid uptake by CD36 in insulin-producing cells reduces fatty-acid-induced insulin secretion and glucose regulation of fatty acid oxidation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1801:191-7 pubmed publisher..We conclude that induction of the CD36 transporter increases uptake of FA, the consequences of which are blunting of the functional interplay between glucose and FA on insulin secretion and oxidative metabolism. ..
- Wickström M, Viktorsson K, Lundholm L, Aesoy R, Nygren H, Sooman L, et al. The alkylating prodrug J1 can be activated by aminopeptidase N, leading to a possible target directed release of melphalan. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010;79:1281-90 pubmed publisher..Given that APN is shown to be overexpressed in several solid tumors our data suggest that J1 may be activated in a tumor selective manner. ..
- Lundgren J, Masson P, Realini C, Young P. Use of RNA interference and complementation to study the function of the Drosophila and human 26S proteasome subunit S13. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5320-30 pubmed..The S13 subunit may possess multiple functions, including a deubiquitinylating activity and distinct activities essential for cell cycle progression that require the conserved C120 residue. ..
- Li X, Klintman D, Liu Q, Sato T, Jeppsson B, Thorlacius H. Critical role of CXC chemokines in endotoxemic liver injury in mice. J Leukoc Biol. 2004;75:443-52 pubmed..Indeed, these findings demonstrate that interference with MIP-2 and KC functions protects against septic liver damage and may constitute a potential therapeutic strategy to control pathological inflammation in endotoxemia. ..
- Yu Z, Eaton J, Persson H. The radioprotective agent, amifostine, suppresses the reactivity of intralysosomal iron. Redox Rep. 2003;8:347-55 pubmed..These findings suggest a single and plausible explanation for the radioprotective effects of amifostine and may provide a basis for the design of even more effective radio- and chemoprotective drugs...
- Bozhkov P, Suarez M, Filonova L, Daniel G, Zamyatnin A, Rodriguez Nieto S, et al. Cysteine protease mcII-Pa executes programmed cell death during plant embryogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:14463-8 pubmed..Although mcII-Pa and metazoan caspases have different substrate specificity, they serve a common function during development, demonstrating the evolutionary parallelism of PCD pathways in plants and animals. ..
- Ståhl S, Fung E, Adams C, Lengqvist J, Mörk B, Stenerlow B, et al. Proteomics and pathway analysis identifies JNK signaling as critical for high linear energy transfer radiation-induced apoptosis in non-small lung cancer cells. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2009;8:1117-29 pubmed publisher..Thus PSE predictions were largely confirmed, and PSE was proven to be a useful hypothesis-generating tool. ..
- Trinks C, Djerf E, Hallbeck A, Jönsson J, Walz T. The pan-ErbB receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor canertinib induces ErbB-independent apoptosis in human leukemia (HL-60 and U-937) cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;393:6-10 pubmed publisher..We conclude that canertinib induces apoptosis in HL-60 and U-937 cells devoid of functional ErbB1-4 receptors. Our results suggest that canertinib could be of potential clinical interest in the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia. ..
- Zhang X, Zheng Y, Fried L, Du Y, Montano S, Sohn A, et al. Disruption of the mitochondrial thioredoxin system as a cell death mechanism of cationic triphenylmethanes. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;50:811-20 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this treatment resulted in an elevation of the mRNA level of Lon protease, a protein quality control enzyme in the mitochondrial matrix, suggesting that the oxidized Trx2 may be degraded by Lon protease. ..
- Flygt J, Djupsjö A, Lenne F, Marklund N. Myelin loss and oligodendrocyte pathology in white matter tracts following traumatic brain injury in the rat. Eur J Neurosci. 2013;38:2153-65 pubmed publisher..Prevention of myelin loss and oligodendrocyte death may represent novel therapeutic targets for TBI. ..
- Pazirandeh A, Xue Y, Rafter I, Sjovall J, Jondal M, Okret S. Paracrine glucocorticoid activity produced by mouse thymic epithelial cells. FASEB J. 1999;13:893-901 pubmed..We conclude that TEC secrete a GC hormone activity and suggest a paracrine role for this in thymocyte development. ..
- Lai X, Arencibia I, Johansson A, Wai S, Oscarsson J, Kalfas S, et al. Cytocidal and apoptotic effects of the ClyA protein from Escherichia coli on primary and cultured monocytes and macrophages. Infect Immun. 2000;68:4363-7 pubmed..We show here that highly purified ClyA and ClyA-expressing E. coli were cytotoxic and apoptogenic to fresh as well as cultured human and murine monocytes/macrophages. ..
- Möller C, Alfredsson J, Engström M, Wootz H, Xiang Z, Lennartsson J, et al. Stem cell factor promotes mast cell survival via inactivation of FOXO3a-mediated transcriptional induction and MEK-regulated phosphorylation of the proapoptotic protein Bim. Blood. 2005;106:1330-6 pubmed
- Zhang H. Survivin protein in UVB induced apoptosis of melanoma cells and in melanoma progression. Oncol Rep. 2005;13:1121-6 pubmed..However, the normal tissues were not expressed in the survivin protein. Survivin plays an important role in UVB-induced apoptosis. Overexpression of survivin might be a biomarker for early diagnosis for melanoma. ..
- Bidla G, Dushay M, Theopold U. Crystal cell rupture after injury in Drosophila requires the JNK pathway, small GTPases and the TNF homolog Eiger. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1209-15 pubmed..Our results provide a more comprehensive view of immune signal transduction pathways, with implications for immune reactions where cell death is used as a terminal mode of cell activation. ..
- Geli J, Kiss N, Lanner F, Foukakis T, Natalishvili N, Larsson O, et al. The Ras effectors NORE1A and RASSF1A are frequently inactivated in pheochromocytoma and abdominal paraganglioma. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2007;14:125-34 pubmed..Our study provides evidence that NORE1A and RASSF1A are frequently suppressed in pheochromocytoma and abdominal paraganglioma. Silencing of NORE1A contributes to the transformed phenotype in these tumours...
- Alm H, Kultima K, Scholz B, Nilsson A, Andren P, Fex Svenningsen A, et al. Exposure to brominated flame retardant PBDE-99 affects cytoskeletal protein expression in the neonatal mouse cerebral cortex. Neurotoxicology. 2008;29:628-37 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the permanent neurological damage induced by PBDE-99 during the brain growth spurt involve detrimental effects on cytoskeletal regulation and neuronal maturation in the developing cerebral cortex. ..
- Petersen A, Carlsson T, Karlsson J, Jonhede S, Zetterberg M. Effects of dexamethasone on human lens epithelial cells in culture. Mol Vis. 2008;14:1344-52 pubmed..Effects on proliferation and/or dysregulation of apoptosis in lens epithelial cells may be an important factor in human steroid-induced posterior subcapsular cataract. ..
- Gullbo J, Fryknäs M, Rickardson L, Darcy P, Hägg M, Wickström M, et al. Phenotype-based drug screening in primary ovarian carcinoma cultures identifies intracellular iron depletion as a promising strategy for cancer treatment. Biochem Pharmacol. 2011;82:139-47 pubmed publisher..The results indicate the feasibility of using PCPTC for cancer drug screening and that intracellular iron depletion could be a potentially important strategy for cancer therapy. ..
- Wan Ibrahim W, Tofighi R, Onishchenko N, Rebellato P, Bose R, Uhlen P, et al. Perfluorooctane sulfonate induces neuronal and oligodendrocytic differentiation in neural stem cells and alters the expression of PPAR? in vitro and in vivo. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2013;269:51-60 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PPAR? plays a role in the alteration of spontaneous differentiation of NSCs induced by nanomolar concentrations of PFOS. ..
- Kronschläger M, Yu Z, Talebizadeh N, Meyer L, Hallböök F, Söderberg P. Evolution of TUNEL-labeling in the rat lens after in vivo exposure to just above threshold dose UVB. Curr Eye Res. 2013;38:880-5 pubmed publisher..Close to threshold dose of UVB induces TUNEL-labeling that peaks in the time window 5-120?h after exposure to UVB. ..
- Karpman D, Hakansson A, Perez M, Isaksson C, Carlemalm E, Caprioli A, et al. Apoptosis of renal cortical cells in the hemolytic-uremic syndrome: in vivo and in vitro studies. Infect Immun. 1998;66:636-44 pubmed..The results indicate that HUS is accompanied by increased apoptosis of kidney cells and that bacterial factors, possibly together with host cytokines in vivo, may activate apoptotic tissue injury. ..
- Belluardo N, Korhonen L, Mudo G, Lindholm D. Neuronal expression and regulation of rat inhibitor of apoptosis protein-2 by kainic acid in the rat brain. Eur J Neurosci. 2002;15:87-100 pubmed..The decrease in RIAP-2 in specific neuronal populations may contribute to cell degeneration in vulnerable brain regions observed after kainic acid treatment. ..
- Cartier A, Broberg E, Komai T, Henriksson M, Masucci M. The herpes simplex virus-1 Us3 protein kinase blocks CD8T cell lysis by preventing the cleavage of Bid by granzyme B. Cell Death Differ. 2003;10:1320-8 pubmed..Our data illustrate a new strategy of viral escape, where modification of a cellular proapoptotic substrate may prevent lysis of the infected cells without affecting other T-cell functions. ..
- Nalvarte I, Damdimopoulos A, Nystöm C, Nordman T, Miranda Vizuete A, Olsson J, et al. Overexpression of enzymatically active human cytosolic and mitochondrial thioredoxin reductase in HEK-293 cells. Effect on cell growth and differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:54510-7 pubmed..Most surprisingly, the TrxR1- or TrxR2-overexpressing cells also induced novel expression of the epithelial markers CK18, CK-Cam5.2, and BerEP4, suggestive of a stimulation of cellular differentiation. ..
- Mezhybovska M, Wikström K, Ohd J, Sjölander A. The inflammatory mediator leukotriene D4 induces beta-catenin signaling and its association with antiapoptotic Bcl-2 in intestinal epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:6776-84 pubmed..This work in intestinal epithelial cells further lends credence to the idea that inflammatory signaling pathways are intrinsically linked with potential oncogenic signals involved in cell survival and apoptosis. ..
- Carlsson Y, Leverin A, Hedtjarn M, Wang X, Mallard C, Hagberg H. Role of mixed lineage kinase inhibition in neonatal hypoxia-ischemia. Dev Neurosci. 2009;31:420-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the MLK inhibitor CEP-1347 has protective effects in a neonatal rat model of hypoxia-ischemia, which is mainly related to reduced apoptosis. ..
- Stenqvist A, Nagaeva O, Baranov V, Mincheva Nilsson L. Exosomes secreted by human placenta carry functional Fas ligand and TRAIL molecules and convey apoptosis in activated immune cells, suggesting exosome-mediated immune privilege of the fetus. J Immunol. 2013;191:5515-23 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that bioactive FasL- and TRAIL-carrying exosomes, able to convey apoptosis, are secreted by the placenta and tie up the immunomodulatory and protective role of human placenta to its exosome-secreting ability. ..
- Li M, Andersson Lendahl M, Sejersen T, Arner A. Knockdown of fast skeletal myosin-binding protein C in zebrafish results in a severe skeletal myopathy. J Gen Physiol. 2016;147:309-22 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, lack of MyBPC-2 results in a severe skeletal myopathy with structural changes and muscle weakness. ..
- Hansson C, Frykman S, Farmery M, Tjernberg L, Nilsberth C, Pursglove S, et al. Nicastrin, presenilin, APH-1, and PEN-2 form active gamma-secretase complexes in mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51654-60 pubmed..This novel localization of NCT, PS1, APH-1, and PEN-2 expands the role and importance of gamma-secretase activity to mitochondria. ..
- Enge M, Bao W, Hedström E, Jackson S, Moumen A, Selivanova G. MDM2-dependent downregulation of p21 and hnRNP K provides a switch between apoptosis and growth arrest induced by pharmacologically activated p53. Cancer Cell. 2009;15:171-83 pubmed publisher..Our results emphasize the utility of targeting wild-type p53 protein itself as a promising approach for anticancer therapy. ..
- Norberg E, Orrenius S, Zhivotovsky B. Mitochondrial regulation of cell death: processing of apoptosis-inducing factor (AIF). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;396:95-100 pubmed publisher..The current knowledge about the molecular mechanisms regulating the processing and release of AIF from the mitochondria will be summarized and discussed in this review. ..
- Braadland P, Grytli H, Ramberg H, Katz B, Kellman R, Gauthier Landry L, et al. Low Î²â‚‚-adrenergic receptor level may promote development of castration resistant prostate cancer and altered steroid metabolism. Oncotarget. 2016;7:1878-94 pubmed publisher..Similar to ADRB2, we show that low levels of UGT2B15 are associated with a more rapid CRPC progression. We propose a novel mechanism by which ADRB2 may affect the development of CRPC through downregulation of UGT2B15 and UGT2B17. ..
- Kolosenko I, Yu Y, Busker S, Dyczynski M, Liu J, Haraldsson M, et al. Identification of novel small molecules that inhibit STAT3-dependent transcription and function. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178844 pubmed publisher..Taken together, using a targeted, cell-based approach, novel inhibitors of STAT-driven transcriptional activity were discovered which are interesting leads to pursue further for the development of anti-cancer therapeutic agents. ..
- Hakansson A, Zhivotovsky B, Orrenius S, Sabharwal H, Svanborg C. Apoptosis induced by a human milk protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:8064-8 pubmed..Finally, analysis of the mechanism by which multimeric alpha-lactalbumin induces apoptosis in transformed epithelial cells could lead to the design of antitumor agents. ..
- Ollinger K. Inhibition of cathepsin D prevents free-radical-induced apoptosis in rat cardiomyocytes. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2000;373:346-51 pubmed..This suggests that cathepsin D exerts its apoptosis-stimulating effect upstream of caspase-3-like activation. ..
- Tan No K, Cebers G, Yakovleva T, Hoon Goh B, Gileva I, Reznikov K, et al. Cytotoxic effects of dynorphins through nonopioid intracellular mechanisms. Exp Cell Res. 2001;269:54-63 pubmed..These effects may be relevant for a pathophysiological role of dynorphins in the brain and spinal cord and for control of death of tumor cells, which express prodynorphin at high levels. ..
- Johansson A, Steen H, Ollinger K, Roberg K. Cathepsin D mediates cytochrome c release and caspase activation in human fibroblast apoptosis induced by staurosporine. Cell Death Differ. 2003;10:1253-9 pubmed..Analysis of the relative sequence of apoptotic events indicates that, in this cell type, cathepsin D acts upstream of cytochrome c release and caspase activation. ..
- Törnkvist M, Natalishvili N, Xie Y, Girnita A, D Arcy P, Brodin B, et al. Differential roles of SS18-SSX fusion gene and insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor in synovial sarcoma cell growth. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;368:793-800 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, SS18-SSX and IGF-1R seem to play important but different roles in maintaining malignant growth of synovial sarcoma cells. Whereas SS18-SSX maintains cyclin D1 and cell proliferation, IGF-1R protects from apoptosis...
- Eriksson S, Prast Nielsen S, Flaberg E, Szekely L, Arner E. High levels of thioredoxin reductase 1 modulate drug-specific cytotoxic efficacy. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;47:1661-71 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that high overexpression of TrxR has an impact not necessarily linked to Trx function that nonetheless modulates drug-specific cytotoxic responses. ..
- Karnevi E, Said K, Andersson R, Rosendahl A. Metformin-mediated growth inhibition involves suppression of the IGF-I receptor signalling pathway in human pancreatic cancer cells. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:235 pubmed publisher..However, hyperglycaemic conditions enhance the insulin/IGF-I responses resulting in an altered AMPK activation profile and prevent metformin from fully switching off the growth promoting signals in pancreatic cancer cells. ..
- Olsson A, Hua J, Sheng Y, Pero R. Neutral metoclopramide induces tumor cytotoxicity and sensitizes ionizing radiation of a human lung adenocarcinoma and virus induced sarcoma in mice. Acta Oncol. 1997;36:323-30 pubmed
- Nobel C, Aronson J, van den Dobbelsteen D, Slater A. Inhibition of Na+/K(+)-ATPase may be one mechanism contributing to potassium efflux and cell shrinkage in CD95-induced apoptosis. Apoptosis. 2000;5:153-63 pubmed..This suggests that the observed inhibition of Na+/K(+)-ATPase during apoptosis may also facilitate apoptotic cell shrinkage...
- Wang J, Silva J, Gustafsson C, Rustin P, Larsson N. Increased in vivo apoptosis in cells lacking mitochondrial DNA gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:4038-43 pubmed..It would therefore be of interest to determine whether manipulation of respiratory chain function can be used to inhibit or enhance apoptosis in these conditions. ..
- Betten A -, Bylund J, Christophe T, Cristophe T, Boulay F, Romero A, et al. A proinflammatory peptide from Helicobacter pylori activates monocytes to induce lymphocyte dysfunction and apoptosis. J Clin Invest. 2001;108:1221-8 pubmed..These novel mechanisms may be subject to local, histaminergic regulation in the gastric mucosa. ..
- Barbu A, Akusjarvi G, Welsh N. Adenoviral-induced islet cell cytotoxicity is not counteracted by Bcl-2 overexpression. Mol Med. 2002;8:733-41 pubmed
- Schmidtchen A, Holst E, Tapper H, Bjorck L. Elastase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa degrade plasma proteins and extracellular products of human skin and fibroblasts, and inhibit fibroblast growth. Microb Pathog. 2003;34:47-55 pubmed..These effects, in conjunction with the finding that proteinase production was detected in wound fluid ex vivo, suggest that bacterial proteinases play a pathogenic role in chronic ulcers. ..
- Zhao M, Momma S, Delfani K, Carlen M, Cassidy R, Johansson C, et al. Evidence for neurogenesis in the adult mammalian substantia nigra. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:7925-30 pubmed
- Alvarado Kristensson M, Melander F, Leandersson K, Ronnstrand L, Wernstedt C, Andersson T. p38-MAPK signals survival by phosphorylation of caspase-8 and caspase-3 in human neutrophils. J Exp Med. 2004;199:449-58 pubmed..Consequently, p38-MAPK can directly phosphorylate and inhibit the activities of caspase-8 and caspase-3 and thereby hinder neutrophil apoptosis, and, in so doing, regulate the inflammatory response. ..
- Colón E, Zaman F, Axelson M, Larsson O, Carlsson Skwirut C, Svechnikov K, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-I is an important antiapoptotic factor for rat leydig cells during postnatal development. Endocrinology. 2007;148:128-39 pubmed..Inhibition of IGF-IR by picropodophyllin decreases the survival of Leydig cells, both in the presence and absence of IGF-I, demonstrating that signaling via the IGF-IR plays an important role in Leydig cell survival. ..
- Orrenius S, Gogvadze V, Zhivotovsky B. Mitochondrial oxidative stress: implications for cell death. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2007;47:143-83 pubmed..Taken together, these findings have placed the mitochondria in the focus of current cell death research. ..
- Holst C, Johansson V, Alm K, Oredsson S. Novel anti-apoptotic effect of Bcl-2: prevention of polyamine depletion-induced cell death. Cell Biol Int. 2008;32:66-74 pubmed..Thus, Bcl-2 over-expression prevented a number of DENSPM-induced apoptotic effects. ..
- Kalm M, Fukuda A, Fukuda H, Ohrfelt A, Lannering B, Bjork Eriksson T, et al. Transient inflammation in neurogenic regions after irradiation of the developing brain. Radiat Res. 2009;171:66-76 pubmed publisher..It remains to be elucidated whether these transient changes are involved in the persistent effects of radiation observed on neurogenesis and cognition in rodents. ..
- Vuppalapati K, Bouderlique T, Newton P, Kaminskyy V, Wehtje H, Ohlsson C, et al. Targeted Deletion of Autophagy Genes Atg5 or Atg7 in the Chondrocytes Promotes Caspase-Dependent Cell Death and Leads to Mild Growth Retardation. J Bone Miner Res. 2015;30:2249-61 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data suggest that autophagy is important for chondrocyte survival, and inhibition of this process leads to stunted growth and caspase-dependent death of chondrocytes. ..
- Zalis M, Reyes J, Augustsson P, Holmqvist S, Roybon L, Laurell T, et al. Label-free concentration of viable neurons, hESCs and cancer cells by means of acoustophoresis. Integr Biol (Camb). 2016;8:332-40 pubmed publisher..Further, we demonstrate that different death inducing stimuli have different effects on the intrinsic cell properties and therefore affect the efficiency of the acoustophoretic separation. ..
- Zhang L, Zhang H, Zhang H, Benson M, Han X, Li D. Roles of piRNAs in microcystin-leucine-arginine (MC-LR) induced reproductive toxicity in testis on male offspring. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;105:177-185 pubmed publisher..As far as we are aware, this is the first report showing that MC-LR could play a role in disorder of proliferative and cell apoptosis in the testis of the male offspring by the maternal transmission effect of toxicity. ..
- Baeckstrom D, Lu P, Taylor Papadimitriou J. Activation of the alpha2beta1 integrin prevents c-erbB2-induced scattering and apoptosis of human mammary epithelial cells in collagen. Oncogene. 2000;19:4592-603 pubmed
- Chabes A, Pfleger C, Kirschner M, Thelander L. Mouse ribonucleotide reductase R2 protein: a new target for anaphase-promoting complex-Cdh1-mediated proteolysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:3925-9 pubmed..The newly discovered p53-induced p53R2 protein that lacks a KEN box may supply deoxyribonucleotides for DNA repair during G(0)G(1). ..
- Fukuda H, Fukuda A, Zhu C, Korhonen L, Swanpalmer J, Hertzman S, et al. Irradiation-induced progenitor cell death in the developing brain is resistant to erythropoietin treatment and caspase inhibition. Cell Death Differ. 2004;11:1166-78 pubmed..Caspase inhibition by overexpression of XIAP prevented caspase-9 and caspase-3 activation but not cell death, presumably because of increased caspase-independent cell death. ..
- Lindholm D, Arumae U. Cell differentiation: reciprocal regulation of Apaf-1 and the inhibitor of apoptosis proteins. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:193-5 pubmed..2004). These results, together with earlier ones, deepen our understanding of how cell death and the apoptosome are regulated during differentiation and in tumor cells. ..
- Issaeva N, Bozko P, Enge M, Protopopova M, Verhoef L, Masucci M, et al. Small molecule RITA binds to p53, blocks p53-HDM-2 interaction and activates p53 function in tumors. Nat Med. 2004;10:1321-8 pubmed..RITA may serve as a lead compound for the development of an anticancer drug that targets tumors with wild-type p53. ..
- Svechnikova I, Ammerpohl O, Ekström T. p21waf1/Cip1 partially mediates apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;354:466-71 pubmed..The results show that the p21 anti-sense construct prevents apoptosis, induced by HDAC inhibitors in Hep3B cells. The obtained results suggest an important role for p21 in mediating the apoptotic effect of HDACi. ..
- Zheng L, Kågedal K, Dehvari N, Benedikz E, Cowburn R, Marcusson J, et al. Oxidative stress induces macroautophagy of amyloid beta-protein and ensuing apoptosis. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;46:422-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that oxidative stress can induce neuronal death through macroautophagy of Abeta and consequent lysosomal membrane permeabilization, which may help explain the mechanisms behind neuronal loss in AD. ..
- Nagy N, Matskova L, Kis L, Hellman U, Klein G, Klein E. The proapoptotic function of SAP provides a clue to the clinical picture of X-linked lymphoproliferative disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:11966-71 pubmed publisher..We have shown that the anti-apoptotic protein VCP (valosin-containing protein) binds to SAP, suggesting that it could be instrumental in the enhanced apoptotic response modulated by SAP. ..
- Nagy N, Klein G, Klein E. To the genesis of Burkitt lymphoma: regulation of apoptosis by EBNA-1 and SAP may determine the fate of Ig-myc translocation carrying B lymphocytes. Semin Cancer Biol. 2009;19:407-10 pubmed publisher..However, their EBV positive counterparts are permissive for SAP expression, due to the anti-apoptotic function of EBNA-1. ..
- Orrenius S, Nicotera P, Zhivotovsky B. Cell death mechanisms and their implications in toxicology. Toxicol Sci. 2011;119:3-19 pubmed publisher..Hence, the cell death and phagocytosis regulatory networks offer a multitude of targets for toxic chemicals. ..
- Pedersen A, Wallgren M, Karlsson B, Gröbner G. Expression and purification of full-length anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 using cell-free protein synthesis. Protein Expr Purif. 2011;77:220-3 pubmed publisher..The obtained yield was 0.25-0.3mg per ml of cell-free reaction. Far-UV circular dichroism (CD) spectroscopy confirmed the ?-helical structure of the purified protein, characteristic for members of the Bcl-2 protein family...
- Razumovskaya E, Sun J, Ronnstrand L. Inhibition of MEK5 by BIX02188 induces apoptosis in cells expressing the oncogenic mutant FLT3-ITD. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;412:307-12 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MEK5/ERK5 is important for FLT3-ITD induced hematopoietic transformation and may thus represent an alternative therapeutic target in the treatment of FLT3-ITD positive leukemia. ..
- Aurelius J, Thorén F, Akhiani A, Brune M, Palmqvist L, Hansson M, et al. Monocytic AML cells inactivate antileukemic lymphocytes: role of NADPH oxidase/gp91(phox) expression and the PARP-1/PAR pathway of apoptosis. Blood. 2012;119:5832-7 pubmed publisher..Our data are suggestive of a novel mechanism by which monocytic AML cells evade cell-mediated immunity. ..
- Rahman R, Latonen L, Wiman K. hTERT antagonizes p53-induced apoptosis independently of telomerase activity. Oncogene. 2005;24:1320-7 pubmed..These findings support the notion that hTERT has antiapoptotic activity and demonstrate that p53-mediated downregulation of hTERT is critical for efficient p53-dependent apoptosis. ..
- Gustafsson K, Christensson B, Sander B, Flygare J. Cannabinoid receptor-mediated apoptosis induced by R(+)-methanandamide and Win55,212-2 is associated with ceramide accumulation and p38 activation in mantle cell lymphoma. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;70:1612-20 pubmed..The present data suggest that targeting CB(1)/CB(2) may have therapeutic potential for the treatment of mantle cell lymphoma. ..
- Ekoff M, Kaufmann T, Engström M, Motoyama N, Villunger A, Jönsson J, et al. The BH3-only protein Puma plays an essential role in cytokine deprivation induced apoptosis of mast cells. Blood. 2007;110:3209-17 pubmed..In conclusion, our data demonstrate a pivotal role for Puma in the regulation of cytokine deprivation-induced mast-cell apoptosis and suggest a plausible role for Puma in the regulation of mast cell numbers in vivo. ..
- Ghavami S, Sharma P, Yeganeh B, Ojo O, Jha A, Mutawe M, et al. Airway mesenchymal cell death by mevalonate cascade inhibition: integration of autophagy, unfolded protein response and apoptosis focusing on Bcl2 family proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1843:1259-71 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover multiple mechanisms of action of statins that could contribute to refining the use of such agent in treatment of lung disease. ..
- Caligiuri G, Levy B, Pernow J, Thoren P, Hansson G. Myocardial infarction mediated by endothelin receptor signaling in hypercholesterolemic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:6920-4 pubmed..Thus, stress elicits myocardial infarction through endothelin receptor signaling in coronary atherosclerosis caused by hypercholesterolemia. ..
- Liberg D, Lazarevic B, Pero R, Leanderson T. N-substituted benzamides inhibit NFkappaB activation and induce apoptosis by separate mechanisms. Br J Cancer. 1999;81:981-8 pubmed..In addition it suggests that N-substituted benzamides are potential candidates for the development of anti-inflammatory compounds using NFkappaB as a drug target...
- Hägglund A, Basset P, Ny T. Stromelysin-3 is induced in mouse ovarian follicles undergoing hormonally controlled apoptosis, but this metalloproteinase is not required for follicular atresia. Biol Reprod. 2001;64:457-63 pubmed..Taken together, our data indicate that stromelysin-3 is induced during follicular atresia, but that this protease is not obligatory for initiation or completion of the atretic process. ..
- Abel F, Sjöberg R, Ejeskär K, Krona C, Martinsson T. Analyses of apoptotic regulators CASP9 and DFFA at 1P36.2, reveal rare allele variants in human neuroblastoma tumours. Br J Cancer. 2002;86:596-604 pubmed
- Ohman L, Franzen L, Rudolph U, Birnbaumer L, Hörnquist E. Regression of Peyer's patches in G alpha i2 deficient mice prior to colitis is associated with reduced expression of Bcl-2 and increased apoptosis. Gut. 2002;51:392-7 pubmed..We speculate that this Th1 dominated microenvironment in the inductive site for mucosal immune responses contributes to the development of colitis in G alpha i2 deficient mice. ..
- Duan R, Cheng Y, Hansen G, Hertervig E, Liu J, Syk I, et al. Purification, localization, and expression of human intestinal alkaline sphingomyelinase. J Lipid Res. 2003;44:1241-50 pubmed..Intestinal alk-SMase is localized in the enterocytes, down-regulated in human colon cancer, and may have antiproliferative effects on colon cancer cells. ..
- Chen Y, Lasaitiene D, Gabrielsson B, Carlsson L, Billig H, Carlsson B, et al. Neonatal losartan treatment suppresses renal expression of molecules involved in cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15:1232-43 pubmed..Moreover, regulation of the expression of leukocyte type 12-lipoxygenase and alpha-smooth muscle actin by the renin-angiotensin system in the immature kidney adds new knowledge toward the understanding of renal vascular development. ..
- El Salhy M. Effects of triple therapy with octreotide, galanin and serotonin on a human colon cancer cell line. Oncol Rep. 2005;13:45-9 pubmed..Though the results of this investigation are promising, it is uncertain as to what use the present findings may imply for the treatment of patients with colorectal cancer. ..
- Pazirandeh A, Jondal M, Okret S. Conditional expression of a glucocorticoid receptor transgene in thymocytes reveals a role for thymic-derived glucocorticoids in thymopoiesis in vivo. Endocrinology. 2005;146:2501-7 pubmed..These observations further confirmed a role for the thymic-derived GCs in regulating thymocyte homeostasis in vivo. ..
- Nodin C, Nilsson M, Blomstrand F. Gap junction blockage limits intercellular spreading of astrocytic apoptosis induced by metabolic depression. J Neurochem. 2005;94:1111-23 pubmed..The results show that inhibition of gap junctions during cellular metabolic depression interferes with the metabolic status and cell death progression in astrocytes. ..
- Karpova M, Schoumans J, Blennow E, Ernberg I, Henter J, Smirnov A, et al. Combined spectral karyotyping, comparative genomic hybridization, and in vitro apoptyping of a panel of Burkitt's lymphoma-derived B cell lines reveals an unexpected complexity of chromosomal aberrations and a recurrence of specific abnormalities in . Int J Oncol. 2006;28:605-17 pubmed
- Tamm C, Sabri F, Ceccatelli S. Mitochondrial-mediated apoptosis in neural stem cells exposed to manganese. Toxicol Sci. 2008;101:310-20 pubmed..In addition, our data also show that reactive oxygen species formation plays a role in the onset of manganese toxicity in NSCs. ..
- Stolz C, Schuler M. Molecular mechanisms of resistance to Rituximab and pharmacologic strategies for its circumvention. Leuk Lymphoma. 2009;50:873-85 pubmed publisher..With the advent of new inhibitors and antibodies, rationally designed clinical trials addressing Rituximab resistance are feasible. ..
- Johansson D, Andersson C, Moharer J, Johansson A, Behnam Motlagh P. Cisplatin-induced expression of Gb3 enables verotoxin-1 treatment of cisplatin resistance in malignant pleural mesothelioma cells. Br J Cancer. 2010;102:383-91 pubmed publisher..A strong super-additive effect of combined cisplatin and a sub-toxic concentration of VT-1 in cisplatin-resistant malignant pleural mesothelioma cells were observed, indicating a new potential clinical-treatment approach. ..
- Brave A, Johansson U, Hallengärd D, Heidari S, Gullberg H, Wahren B, et al. Induction of HIV-1-specific cellular and humoral immune responses following immunization with HIV-DNA adjuvanted with activated apoptotic lymphocytes. Vaccine. 2010;28:2080-7 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that activated apoptotic lymphocytes can act independent as adjuvants to improve antigen-specific DNA vaccines. ..