Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on apoptosis in Spain
Publications202 found, 100 shown here
- Valladares A, Alvarez A, Ventura J, Roncero C, Benito M, Porras A. p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase mediates tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced apoptosis in rat fetal brown adipocytes. Endocrinology. 2000;141:4383-95 pubmed..These results suggest that p38MAPK mediates TNFalpha-induced apoptosis and cell cycle arrest, whereas ERKs do the opposite, and JNKs play no role in this process of apoptosis. ..
- de la Torre J, Gil Moreno A, Garcia A, Rojo F, Xercavins J, Salido E, et al. Expression of DNA damage checkpoint protein Hus1 in epithelial ovarian tumors correlates with prognostic markers. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2008;27:24-32 pubmed..002) and with the p53 expression (P < 0.001), Bax expression (P < 0.008), mitotic index (P < 0.001), and apoptotic index (P < 0.003). ..
- Juan M, Planas J, Ruiz Gutierrez V, Daniel H, Wenzel U. Antiproliferative and apoptosis-inducing effects of maslinic and oleanolic acids, two pentacyclic triterpenes from olives, on HT-29 colon cancer cells. Br J Nutr. 2008;100:36-43 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the anticancer activity observed for olive fruit extracts seems to originate from maslinic acid but not from oleanolic acid. Maslinic acid therefore is a promising new compound for the chemoprevention of colon cancers. ..
- Nunez R, Sancho Martínez S, Novoa J, López Hernández F. Apoptotic volume decrease as a geometric determinant for cell dismantling into apoptotic bodies. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:1665-71 pubmed publisher..In this sense, AVD provides a reservoir of membrane surface for apoptotic body formation. The strategic situation of AVD in the time course of apoptosis is also discussed in the context of apoptotic body formation. ..
- Garau C, Miralles A, Garcia Sevilla J. Chronic treatment with selective I2-imidazoline receptor ligands decreases the content of pro-apoptotic markers in rat brain. J Psychopharmacol. 2013;27:123-34 pubmed publisher..The disclosed anti-apoptotic mechanisms of selective I(2)-imidazoline drugs may work in concert with other molecular mechanisms of neuroprotection (e.g. blockade of NMDA receptors) that are engaged by I(2)-ligands. ..
- Berchtold M, Villalobo A. The many faces of calmodulin in cell proliferation, programmed cell death, autophagy, and cancer. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1843:398-435 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the potential targeting of CaM-dependent signaling processes for therapeutic use is discussed. ..
- Freire R, d Adda di Fagagna F, Wu L, Pedrazzi G, Stagljar I, Hickson I, et al. Cleavage of the Bloom's syndrome gene product during apoptosis by caspase-3 results in an impaired interaction with topoisomerase IIIalpha. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:3172-80 pubmed
- Maia V, Sanz M, Gutierrez Berzal J, de Luis A, Gutierrez Uzquiza A, Porras A, et al. C3G silencing enhances STI-571-induced apoptosis in CML cells through p38 MAPK activation, but it antagonizes STI-571 inhibitory effect on survival. Cell Signal. 2009;21:1229-35 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results strongly suggest a dual regulatory role for C3G in CML cells, modulating both apoptosis and survival via Rap-dependent and independent mechanisms. ..
- Clave S, Joya X, Salat Batlle J, Garcia Algar O, Vall O. Ethanol cytotoxic effect on trophoblast cells. Toxicol Lett. 2014;225:216-21 pubmed publisher..This apoptotic induction may partially explain the altered function of placental cells and the damage previously detected in other tissues. ..
- Goytisolo F, Samper E, Martin Caballero J, Finnon P, Herrera E, Flores J, et al. Short telomeres result in organismal hypersensitivity to ionizing radiation in mammals. J Exp Med. 2000;192:1625-36 pubmed..The IR-sensitive phenotype of G5 mTR(-/)- mice suggests that telomere function is one of the determinants of radiation sensitivity of whole animals. ..
- Sanchez Pulido L, Rojas A, van Wely K, Martinez A C, Valencia A. SPOC: a widely distributed domain associated with cancer, apoptosis and transcription. BMC Bioinformatics. 2004;5:91 pubmed..The widely distributed DIO (Death inducer-obliterator) family is related to cancer and apoptosis and offers new clues about SPOC domain functionality. ..
- Arias E, Gallego Sandín S, Villarroya M, Garcia A, Lopez M. Unequal neuroprotection afforded by the acetylcholinesterase inhibitors galantamine, donepezil, and rivastigmine in SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells: role of nicotinic receptors. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2005;315:1346-53 pubmed..Such neuroprotection seemed to be linked to alpha7 nicotinic receptors and the PI3K-Akt pathway in the case of galantamine and donepezil but not for rivastigmine. ..
- Diaz San Segundo F, Salguero F, de Avila A, de Marco M, Sánchez Martín M, Sevilla N. Selective lymphocyte depletion during the early stage of the immune response to foot-and-mouth disease virus infection in swine. J Virol. 2006;80:2369-79 pubmed..These results have important implications for our understanding of early events in the development of a robust immune response against FMDV. ..
- Yeramian A, Martin L, Arpa L, Bertran J, Soler C, McLeod C, et al. Macrophages require distinct arginine catabolism and transport systems for proliferation and for activation. Eur J Immunol. 2006;36:1516-26 pubmed
- Perez Galan P, Roué G, Villamor N, Campo E, Colomer D. The BH3-mimetic GX15-070 synergizes with bortezomib in mantle cell lymphoma by enhancing Noxa-mediated activation of Bak. Blood. 2007;109:4441-9 pubmed..All these findings suggest that GX15-070 alone or in combination with bortezomib represents a new attractive therapeutic approach for MCL treatment...
- Nieto Miguel T, Fonteriz R, Vay L, Gajate C, López Hernández S, Mollinedo F. Endoplasmic reticulum stress in the proapoptotic action of edelfosine in solid tumor cells. Cancer Res. 2007;67:10368-78 pubmed..Our data also indicate that mitochondria are indispensable for this edelfosine-induced cell death initiated by ER stress...
- Ciriza J, Moreno Igoa M, Calvo A, Yague G, Palacio J, Miana Mena F, et al. A genetic fusion GDNF-C fragment of tetanus toxin prolongs survival in a symptomatic mouse ALS model. Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2008;26:459-65 pubmed..These results suggest that recombinant GDNF-TTC fusion protein intramuscular injections provide a potential therapy for ALS treatment. ..
- Sancho M, Herrera A, Gortat A, Carbajo R, Pineda Lucena A, Orzáez M, et al. Minocycline inhibits cell death and decreases mutant Huntingtin aggregation by targeting Apaf-1. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:3545-53 pubmed publisher..As a consequence, minocycline-treated cells as well as Apaf-1 knock-out cells are resistant to the development of mutant huntingtin-dependent protein aggregation. ..
- Diaz A, Valera A, Carrera C, Hakim S, Aguilera P, Garcia A, et al. Pigmented spindle cell nevus: clues for differentiating it from spindle cell malignant melanoma. A comprehensive survey including clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and FISH studies. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011;35:1733-42 pubmed publisher..However, ancillary techniques such as proliferation antigen Ki-67, cyclin D1, survivin, and FISH can be useful as adjunctive tools. ..
- Gajate C, Matos da Silva M, Dakir E, Fonteriz R, Alvarez J, Mollinedo F. Antitumor alkyl-lysophospholipid analog edelfosine induces apoptosis in pancreatic cancer by targeting endoplasmic reticulum. Oncogene. 2012;31:2627-39 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that the ER could be a key target in pancreatic cancer, and edelfosine may constitute a prototype for the development of a new class of antitumor drugs targeting the ER. ..
- García Navas R, Munder M, Mollinedo F. Depletion of L-arginine induces autophagy as a cytoprotective response to endoplasmic reticulum stress in human T lymphocytes. Autophagy. 2012;8:1557-76 pubmed publisher..Our data also show that the L-Arg depletion-induced ER stress response could lead to apoptosis when autophagy is blocked. ..
- Morales Cano D, Calviño E, Rubio V, Herráez A, Sancho P, Tejedor M, et al. Apoptosis induced by paclitaxel via Bcl-2, Bax and caspases 3 and 9 activation in NB4 human leukaemia cells is not modulated by ERK inhibition. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2013;65:1101-8 pubmed publisher..Application of Ptx in leukaemia cells shows therefore a promising potential with particular effects on different leukaemia cell types. ..
- Medina O Donnell M, Rivas F, Reyes Zurita F, Martinez A, Galisteo González F, Lupiáñez J, et al. Synthesis and in vitro antiproliferative evaluation of PEGylated triterpene acids. Fitoterapia. 2017;120:25-40 pubmed publisher..Finally, we have also studied changes in mitochondrial membrane potential during apoptosis of HT29 cancer cells, and the results suggest an activation of the extrinsic apoptotic pathway for these compounds. ..
- Gonzalez R, Collado J, Nell S, Briceno J, Tamayo M, Fraga E, et al. Cytoprotective properties of alpha-tocopherol are related to gene regulation in cultured D-galactosamine-treated human hepatocytes. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;43:1439-52 pubmed..In conclusion, the cytoprotective properties of alpha-tocopherol are mostly related to gene regulation rather than to antioxidant activity in toxin-induced cell death in hepatocytes. ..
- Menendez J, Vazquez Martin A, Oliveras Ferraros C, Garcia Villalba R, Carrasco Pancorbo A, Fernandez Gutierrez A, et al. Extra-virgin olive oil polyphenols inhibit HER2 (erbB-2)-induced malignant transformation in human breast epithelial cells: relationship between the chemical structures of extra-virgin olive oil secoiridoids and lignans and their inhibitory activitie. Int J Oncol. 2009;34:43-51 pubmed
- Andia I, Sanchez M, Maffulli N. Tendon healing and platelet-rich plasma therapies. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2010;10:1415-26 pubmed publisher..The use of endogenous therapies has a positive effect on experimental tendon healing. However, several obstacles need to be addressed to optimise medical practice in this field. ..
- García Domingo D, Leonardo E, Grandien A, Martinez P, Albar J, Izpisua Belmonte J, et al. DIO-1 is a gene involved in onset of apoptosis in vitro, whose misexpression disrupts limb development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:7992-7 pubmed..Our data demonstrate the ability of DIO-1 to trigger apoptotic processes in vitro and suggest a role for this gene in cell death during development. ..
- Suarez L, Vidriales M, García Laraña J, Sanz G, Moreno M, Lopez A, et al. CD34+ cells from acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndromes, and normal bone marrow display different apoptosis and drug resistance-associated phenotypes. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:7599-606 pubmed..In low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes abnormally high apoptotic rates would be restricted to the CD34- cell compartments. ..
- Acero N, Llinares F, Galán de Mera A, Oltra B, Muñoz Mingarro D. Apoptotic and free radical scavenging properties of the methanolic extract of Gentianella alborosea. Fitoterapia. 2006;77:475-7 pubmed..The results showed a noticeable radical scavenging activity and a dose-dependent apoptotic effect...
- Clemente A, Pons J, Lanio N, Matamoros N, Ferrer J. CD27+ B cells from a subgroup of common variable immunodeficiency patients are less sensitive to apoptosis rescue regardless of interleukin-21 signalling. Clin Exp Immunol. 2013;174:97-108 pubmed publisher..Increased apoptosis during an immune response could result in lower levels of immunoglobulin production in these patients. ..
- Ayllon V, Martinez A C, Garcia A, Cayla X, Rebollo A. Protein phosphatase 1alpha is a Ras-activated Bad phosphatase that regulates interleukin-2 deprivation-induced apoptosis. EMBO J. 2000;19:2237-46 pubmed
- Culurgioni S, Muñoz I, Moreno A, Palacios A, Villate M, Palmero I, et al. Crystal structure of inhibitor of growth 4 (ING4) dimerization domain reveals functional organization of ING family of chromatin-binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:10876-84 pubmed publisher..Homology modeling based on the ING4 structure suggests that other ING dimers may also exist. ..
- Calderón Montaño J, Burgos Morón E, Orta M, Pastor N, Austin C, Mateos S, et al. Alpha, beta-unsaturated lactones 2-furanone and 2-pyrone induce cellular DNA damage, formation of topoisomerase I- and II-DNA complexes and cancer cell death. Toxicol Lett. 2013;222:64-71 pubmed publisher..The possible involvement of 2-furanone and 2-pyrone in the anticancer and DNA-damaging activities of compounds containing these lactones is discussed. ..
- Sanchez Perez I, Benitah S, Martínez Gomariz M, Lacal J, Perona R. Cell stress and MEKK1-mediated c-Jun activation modulate NFkappaB activity and cell viability. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:2933-45 pubmed..Negative regulation of NFkappaB-dependent transcription by c-jun contributes to cisplatin-induced cell death, which suggests that inhibition of NFkappaB may potentiate the antineoplastic effect of conventional chemotherapeutic agents. ..
- Ferrer A, Marcé S, Bellosillo B, Villamor N, Bosch F, Lopez Guillermo A, et al. Activation of mitochondrial apoptotic pathway in mantle cell lymphoma: high sensitivity to mitoxantrone in cases with functional DNA-damage response genes. Oncogene. 2004;23:8941-9 pubmed..These results support that mitoxantrone can be effective in the treatment of MCL but that this activity requires the integrity of functional DNA-damage response genes. ..
- Izquierdo J, Valcarcel J. Fas-activated serine/threonine kinase (FAST K) synergizes with TIA-1/TIAR proteins to regulate Fas alternative splicing. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:1539-43 pubmed..Taken together, the results connect Fas signaling with the activity of splicing factors that modulate Fas alternative splicing, suggesting the existence of an autoregulatory loop that could serve to amplify Fas responses. ..
- Miñano A, Cerbón M, Xifro X, Malagelada C, Aguilera J, Rodriguez Alvarez J. 17beta-estradiol does not protect cerebellar granule cells from excitotoxicity or apoptosis. J Neurochem. 2007;102:354-64 pubmed..This effect was due to the antioxidant properties of the chemical structure of estradiol, as the biological inactive isomer 17alpha-estradiol was also able to reduce hydrogen peroxide-mediated neuronal death. ..
- Espejel S, Franco S, Rodriguez Perales S, Bouffler S, Cigudosa J, Blasco M. Mammalian Ku86 mediates chromosomal fusions and apoptosis caused by critically short telomeres. EMBO J. 2002;21:2207-19 pubmed
- Canela N, Orzáez M, Fucho R, Mateo F, Gutierrez R, Pineda Lucena A, et al. Identification of an hexapeptide that binds to a surface pocket in cyclin A and inhibits the catalytic activity of the complex cyclin-dependent kinase 2-cyclin A. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:35942-53 pubmed..Thus, the NBI1-binding site on cyclin A may represent a new target site for the selective inhibition of activity cdk2-cyclin A complex. ..
- Enríquez de Salamanca A, Calder V, Gao J, Galatowicz G, García Vázquez C, Fernandez I, et al. Cytokine responses by conjunctival epithelial cells: an in vitro model of ocular inflammation. Cytokine. 2008;44:160-7 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that conjunctival epithelial cells are an important source of cytokines and chemokines that are regulated by proinflammatory cytokines and may play an important role in ocular surface inflammation. ..
- Rodriguez Pallares J, Rodriguez Perez A, Munoz A, Parga J, Toledo Aral J, Labandeira Garcia J. Effects of Rho Kinase Inhibitors on Grafts of Dopaminergic Cell Precursors in a Rat Model of Parkinson's Disease. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2016;5:804-15 pubmed publisher..However, treatment of the host (patients with PD) with ROCK inhibitors, currently used against vascular diseases, may be a useful adjuvant to cell therapy in PD. ..
- Pérez Capote K, Serratosa J, Solà C. Excitotoxic and apoptotic neuronal death induce different patterns of glial activation in vitro. J Neurochem. 2005;94:226-37 pubmed..In contrast, whilst glial cells do not produce pro-inflammatory molecules in the presence of apoptotic neuronal death, phagocytic activity is rapidly induced. ..
- Rhiner C, López Gay J, Soldini D, Casas Tinto S, Martín F, Lombardia L, et al. Flower forms an extracellular code that reveals the fitness of a cell to its neighbors in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2010;18:985-98 pubmed publisher..Cell-cell comparison of relative fwe(Lose) and fwe(ubi) levels ultimately determines which cell undergoes apoptosis. This "extracellular code" may constitute an ancient mechanism to terminate competitive conflicts among cells. ..
- Ferrer I, Blanco R, Carmona M, Puig B. Phosphorylated c-MYC expression in Alzheimer disease, Pick's disease, progressive supranuclear palsy and corticobasal degeneration. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2001;27:343-51 pubmed..Therefore, it is not clear that the activation of the Ras/MAPK/c-Myc subprogramme leads to neuronal death in AD and other tauopathies. ..
- Martins A, Ordóñez J, Garcia Sanchez A, Herrero D, Sevillano V, Osuna D, et al. A pivotal role for heat shock protein 90 in Ewing sarcoma resistance to anti-insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor treatment: in vitro and in vivo study. Cancer Res. 2008;68:6260-70 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, HSP90 expression could be a predictive factor of response to IGF1R-targeting therapies. ..
- Mollinedo F, Gajate C, Morales A, Del Canto Jañez E, Justies N, Collía F, et al. Novel anti-inflammatory action of edelfosine lacking toxicity with protective effect in experimental colitis. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009;329:439-49 pubmed publisher..Our data identify edelfosine as a novel anti-inflammatory drug by abating neutrophil infiltration through L-selectin shedding and may provide a new therapeutic approach for inflammatory bowel disease free from toxicity...
- Quetglas J, Dubrot J, Bezunartea J, Sanmamed M, Hervas Stubbs S, Smerdou C, et al. Immunotherapeutic synergy between anti-CD137 mAb and intratumoral administration of a cytopathic Semliki Forest virus encoding IL-12. Mol Ther. 2012;20:1664-75 pubmed publisher..This efficacious combinatorial immunotherapy strategy offers feasibility for clinical translation since anti-CD137 mAbs are already undergoing clinical trials and development of clinical-grade SFV-IL-12 vectors is in progress...
- Legarda Ceballos A, Rojas Caraballo J, LÃ³pez AbÃ¡n J, Ruano A, Yepes E, Gajate C, et al. The alkylphospholipid edelfosine shows activity against Strongyloides venezuelensis and induces apoptosis-like cell death. Acta Trop. 2016;162:180-187 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that edelfosine could be an effective drug against strongyloidiasis, probably through induction of apoptosis-like cell death. ..
- Fuertes M, Nguewa P, Castilla J, Alonso C, Perez J. Anticancer compounds as leishmanicidal drugs: challenges in chemotherapy and future perspectives. Curr Med Chem. 2008;15:433-9 pubmed..We finally discuss challenges in chemotherapy and future prospects in the treatment of leishmaniasis. ..
- Quintana Cabrera R, Fernandez Fernandez S, Bobo Jiménez V, Escobar J, Sastre J, Almeida A, et al. ?-Glutamylcysteine detoxifies reactive oxygen species by acting as glutathione peroxidase-1 cofactor. Nat Commun. 2012;3:718 pubmed publisher..Thus, ?-glutamylcysteine takes over the antioxidant and neuroprotective functions of glutathione by acting as glutathione peroxidase-1 cofactor. ..
- Escamilla A, Bautista M, Zafra R, Pacheco I, Ruiz M, MartÃnez Cruz S, et al. Fasciola hepatica induces eosinophil apoptosis in the migratory and biliary stages of infection in sheep. Vet Parasitol. 2016;216:84-8 pubmed publisher..The high number of apoptotic eosinophils in acute necrotic tracts during the migratory and biliary stages of infection suggests that eosinophil apoptosis may play a role in F. hepatica survival during different stages of infection. ..
- Cid C, Alcazar A, Regidor I, Masjuan J, Salinas M, Alvarez Cermeño J. Neuronal apoptosis induced by cerebrospinal fluid from multiple sclerosis patients correlates with hypointense lesions on T1 magnetic resonance imaging. J Neurol Sci. 2002;193:103-9 pubmed..The recovery from an acute MS relapse is significantly worse in patients with hypointense T1 lesions in MRI and in those whose CSF damaged neurons on cultures in vitro, phenomena that closely correlated each other. ..
- Verdaguer E, Jordà E, Canudas A, Jimenez A, Sureda F, Rimbau V, et al. 3-Amino thioacridone, a selective cyclin-dependent kinase 4 inhibitor, attenuates kainic acid-induced apoptosis in neurons. Neuroscience. 2003;120:599-603 pubmed..3-ATA may to prevent the apoptosis associated with neurodegenerative disorders without the over-activation of excitatory amino acid receptors. ..
- Perez M, Briz O. Bile-acid-induced cell injury and protection. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:1677-89 pubmed..Other natural BAs or their derivatives, such as cholyl-N-methylglycine or cholylsarcosine, have also aroused pharmacological interest owing to their protective properties. ..
- Vilagrasa X, Mezquita C, Mezquita J. Differential expression of bcl-2 and bcl-x during chicken spermatogenesis. Mol Reprod Dev. 1997;47:26-9 pubmed..Differential expression of bcl-2 and bcl-x during spermatogenesis is consistent with the reported different susceptibility to apoptosis of spermatogonia, and meiotic and postmeiotic cells. ..
- López J, Santidrian A, Campas C, Gil J. 5-Aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide riboside induces apoptosis in Jurkat cells, but the AMP-activated protein kinase is not involved. Biochem J. 2003;370:1027-32 pubmed..These results indicate that AICAriboside induces apoptosis independently of ZMP synthesis and AMPK activation in Jurkat cells. ..
- Sabater L, Giralt A, Boronat A, Hankiewicz K, Blanco Y, Llufriu S, et al. Cytotoxic effect of neuromyelitis optica antibody (NMO-IgG) to astrocytes: an in vitro study. J Neuroimmunol. 2009;215:31-5 pubmed publisher..Our data show that NMO-IgG induces a complement-dependent cytotoxicity of astrocytes in vitro, and suggest that a mechanism of cellular death by necrosis might be implicated in the pathophysiology of NMO. ..
- Oropesa M, de la Mata M, Maraver J, Cordero M, Cotán D, Rodriguez Hernandez A, et al. Apoptotic microtubule network organization and maintenance depend on high cellular ATP levels and energized mitochondria. Apoptosis. 2011;16:404-24 pubmed publisher..These data provide new explanations for the role of AMN and mitochondria during apoptosis. ..
- Lafarga M, Lerga A, Andres M, Polanco J, Calle E, Berciano M. Apoptosis induced by methylazoxymethanol in developing rat cerebellum: organization of the cell nucleus and its relationship to DNA and rRNA degradation. Cell Tissue Res. 1997;289:25-38 pubmed
- Campas C, Lopez J, Santidrian A, Barragan M, Bellosillo B, Colomer D, et al. Acadesine activates AMPK and induces apoptosis in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells but not in T lymphocytes. Blood. 2003;101:3674-80 pubmed..These results suggest a new pathway involving AMPK in the control of apoptosis in B-CLL cells and raise the possibility of using acadesine in B-CLL treatment. ..
- Quesada E, Delgado J, Gajate C, Mollinedo F, Acuña A, Amat Guerri F. Fluorescent phenylpolyene analogues of the ether phospholipid edelfosine for the selective labeling of cancer cells. J Med Chem. 2004;47:5333-5 pubmed..Fluorescence microscopy experiments show that 6 selectively labels human cancer cells, accumulating into specific domains of the plasma membrane...
- Chavarría T, Baleriola J, Mayordomo R, de Pablo F, de la Rosa E. Early neural cell death is an extensive, dynamic process in the embryonic chick and mouse retina. ScientificWorldJournal. 2013;2013:627240 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings provide important insight into the relevance of cell death in neurogenesis. ..
- Lorrio S, Sobrado M, Arias E, Roda J, Garcia A, Lopez M. Galantamine postischemia provides neuroprotection and memory recovery against transient global cerebral ischemia in gerbils. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007;322:591-9 pubmed..This study shows that galantamine provides in vivo neuroprotection and memory recovery against global cerebral ischemia, even when administration begins 3 h postischemia. ..
- Rodríguez Peña A, Grande M, Eleno N, Arevalo M, Guerrero C, Santos E, et al. Activation of Erk1/2 and Akt following unilateral ureteral obstruction. Kidney Int. 2008;74:196-209 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a role for the MAPK-ERK1/2 and PI3K-Akt systems in early changes induced by ureteral obstruction and that inhibition of these signaling pathways may provide a novel approach to prevent progression of renal fibrosis. ..
- Aguilo N, Marinova D, Martin C, Pardo J. ESX-1-induced apoptosis during mycobacterial infection: to be or not to be, that is the question. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2013;3:88 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize the evidences that support the involvement of ESX-1-induced apoptosis in virulence, intending to provide a rational treatise for the role of programmed cell death during M. tuberculosis infection. ..
- González Hoyuela M, Barbas J, Rodriguez Tebar A. The autoregulation of retinal ganglion cell number. Development. 2001;128:117-24 pubmed
- Boulaiz H, Prados J, Marchal J, García A, Alvarez L, Melguizo C, et al. Transfection of MS-36 melanoma cells with gef gene inhibits proliferation and induces modulation of the cell cycle. Cancer Sci. 2003;94:564-8 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the gef gene, a system independent of the administration of a prodrug, significantly reduces the proliferation of MS-36 cells. This gene may therefore be considered a new candidate for cancer gene therapy. ..
- Alcala S, Klee M, Fernandez J, Fleischer A, Pimentel Muiños F. A high-throughput screening for mammalian cell death effectors identifies the mitochondrial phosphate carrier as a regulator of cytochrome c release. Oncogene. 2008;27:44-54 pubmed..These results attribute a previously undescribed apoptotic function to the phosphate carrier and, more generally, suggest that a common property of various mitochondrial transporters was exploited during evolution to regulate apoptosis. ..
- Rendal Vázquez M, Díaz Román T, Rodríguez Cabarcos M, Zavanella Botta C, Domenech García N, González Cuesta M, et al. Apoptosis in fresh and cryopreserved cardiac valves of pig samples. Cell Tissue Bank. 2008;9:101-7 pubmed publisher..In summary, the viability of the valves in the case of ischemic times of 2 h, 24 h or after cryopreservation/thawing differs slightly. The death of the cells is mainly mediated by necrosis and not by apoptosis. ..
- Cárdeno A, Sanchez Hidalgo M, Alarcon de la Lastra C. An up-date of olive oil phenols in inflammation and cancer: molecular mechanisms and clinical implications. Curr Med Chem. 2013;20:4758-76 pubmed
- Pimentel B, Rodríguez Borlado L, Hernandez C, Carrera A. A Role for phosphoinositide 3-kinase in the control of cell division and survival during retinal development. Dev Biol. 2002;247:295-306 pubmed..These data also show that, even after cell division decline, PI3K activation mediates survival of differentiated neurons in vivo. ..
- Resendes A, Majo N, Segales J, Mateu E, Calsamiglia M, Domingo M. Apoptosis in lymphoid organs of pigs naturally infected by porcine circovirus type 2. J Gen Virol. 2004;85:2837-44 pubmed..Apoptotic rates in lymphoid tissues were correlated inversely with viral load in serum and with severity of lesions. In conclusion, the results indicate that apoptosis is not a remarkable feature in PMWS lymphoid lesion development. ..
- Yunta M, Lazo P. Apoptosis protection and survival signal by the CD53 tetraspanin antigen. Oncogene. 2003;22:1219-24 pubmed..The CD53 antigen interactions might contribute to cell survival in poorly vascularized regions of the tumor mass. ..
- de Arriba G, de Hornedo J, Rubio S, Fernández M, Martínez S, Camarero M, et al. Vitamin E protects against the mitochondrial damage caused by cyclosporin A in LLC-PK1 cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2009;239:241-50 pubmed publisher..These features are related to apoptosis and can explain the cellular damage that CsA induces. As Vit E inhibited these effects, our results suggest that they were mediated by an increase in ROS production by mitochondria. ..
- Martinez Becerra P, Vaquero J, Romero M, Lozano E, Anadon C, Macias R, et al. No correlation between the expression of FXR and genes involved in multidrug resistance phenotype of primary liver tumors. Mol Pharm. 2012;9:1693-704 pubmed publisher..Thus, although FXR may play a role in inducing chemoresistance under certain circumstances, its upregulation does not seem to be involved in the multidrug resistance phenotype characteristic of HCC, CGC and HPB. ..
- Estivill Torrus G, Llebrez Zayas P, Matas Rico E, Santín L, Pedraza C, De Diego I, et al. Absence of LPA1 signaling results in defective cortical development. Cereb Cortex. 2008;18:938-50 pubmed..These data support LPA(1) function in normal cortical development and suggest that the presence of genetic modifiers of LPA(1) influences cerebral cortical development. ..
- Llado V, Gutierrez A, Martínez J, CASAS J, Terés S, Higuera M, et al. Minerval induces apoptosis in Jurkat and other cancer cells. J Cell Mol Med. 2010;14:659-70 pubmed publisher..This is the first report on the pro-apoptotic activity of Minerval, and in part explains the effectiveness of this non-toxic anticancer drug and its wide spectrum against different types of cancer. ..
- Alvaro Bartolomé M, La Harpe R, Callado L, Meana J, García Sevilla J. Molecular adaptations of apoptotic pathways and signaling partners in the cerebral cortex of human cocaine addicts and cocaine-treated rats. Neuroscience. 2011;196:1-15 pubmed publisher..The enhanced degradation of nuclear PARP-1, a hallmark of apoptosis, indicates the possibility of aberrant cell death. ..
- Ortega A, Rámila D, Ardura J, Esteban V, Ruiz Ortega M, Barat A, et al. Role of parathyroid hormone-related protein in tubulointerstitial apoptosis and fibrosis after folic acid-induced nephrotoxicity. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:1594-603 pubmed..Our findings indicate that this peptide, by interaction with the PTH1 receptor, can increase tubulointerstitial cell survival and seems to act as a proinflammatory and profibrogenic factor in the FA-damaged kidney. ..
- Ocio E, Mateos M, Maiso P, Pandiella A, San Miguel J. New drugs in multiple myeloma: mechanisms of action and phase I/II clinical findings. Lancet Oncol. 2008;9:1157-65 pubmed publisher..Unfortunately, the single-agent clinical activity of most of these new drugs has been limited; nevertheless, their effectiveness might be enhanced by their rational combination with each other or with conventional agents. ..
- Pretel M, España A, Marquina M, Pelacho B, Lopez Picazo J, López Zabalza M. An imbalance in Akt/mTOR is involved in the apoptotic and acantholytic processes in a mouse model of pemphigus vulgaris. Exp Dermatol. 2009;18:771-80 pubmed publisher..In addition, the imbalance in Akt/mTOR that takes place in the basal cells may provide intracellular signals necessary for the development of apoptosis and acantholysis. ..
- Montero J, Seoane S, Ocana A, Pandiella A. Inhibition of SRC family kinases and receptor tyrosine kinases by dasatinib: possible combinations in solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:5546-52 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the preclinical evidence that supports the use of dasatinib in combination for the treatment of solid tumors and describe various clinical trials developed following a preclinical rationale. ..