Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on apoptosis in Germany
Publications237 found, 100 shown here
- Haslinger Löffler B, Wagner B, Bruck M, Strangfeld K, Grundmeier M, Fischer U, et al. Staphylococcus aureus induces caspase-independent cell death in human peritoneal mesothelial cells. Kidney Int. 2006;70:1089-98 pubmed..aureus-induced mesothelial cell death. In conclusion, our data indicate that mesothelial cell death might represent a major mechanism of S. aureus-induced damage of the peritoneum during bacterial peritonitis. ..
- Britanova O, Depew M, Schwark M, Thomas B, Miletich I, Sharpe P, et al. Satb2 haploinsufficiency phenocopies 2q32-q33 deletions, whereas loss suggests a fundamental role in the coordination of jaw development. Am J Hum Genet. 2006;79:668-78 pubmed
- Schmitz M, Niehoff A, Miosge N, Smyth N, Paulsson M, Zaucke F. Transgenic mice expressing D469Delta mutated cartilage oligomeric matrix protein (COMP) show growth plate abnormalities and sternal malformations. Matrix Biol. 2008;27:67-85 pubmed..Later in development, the growth plate was irregularly shaped and prematurely invaded by bony tissue. In addition, a fusion of the third and fourth sternebrae was frequently observed. ..
- Fortunato F, Berger I, Gross M, Rieger P, Buechler M, Werner J. Immune-compromised state in the rat pancreas after chronic alcohol exposure: the role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma. J Pathol. 2007;213:441-52 pubmed..Intracellular mitochondrial and lysosomal damage after chronic alcohol exposure induces premature activation of digestive enzymes and establishment of peri-cellular fibrosis in the absence of inflammation. ..
- Erdmann F, Jarczowski F, Weiwad M, Fischer G, Edlich F. Hsp90-mediated inhibition of FKBP38 regulates apoptosis in neuroblastoma cells. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:5709-14 pubmed..Similar anti-apoptotic effects in neuroblastoma cells were observed after stimulation of endogenous Hsp90 expression. Hence, the inhibition of FKBP38 by Hsp90 participates in programmed cell death control of neuroblastoma cells...
- Peter C, Waibel M, Radu C, Yang L, Witte O, Schulze Osthoff K, et al. Migration to apoptotic "find-me" signals is mediated via the phagocyte receptor G2A. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:5296-305 pubmed..Thus, our study identifies lysoPC and G2A as the crucial receptor/ligand system for the attraction of phagocytes to apoptotic cells and the prevention of autoimmunity. ..
- Di Marco G, Hausberg M, Hillebrand U, Rustemeyer P, Wittkowski W, Lang D, et al. Increased inorganic phosphate induces human endothelial cell apoptosis in vitro. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;294:F1381-7 pubmed publisher..Endothelial cell injury induced by high phosphate concentrations may be an initial event leading to vascular complications in patients with chronic kidney disease. ..
- Hoffmann J, Pappa A, Krammer P, Lavrik I. A new C-terminal cleavage product of procaspase-8, p30, defines an alternative pathway of procaspase-8 activation. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4431-40 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that p30 can sensitize cells toward death receptor-induced apoptosis. Taken together, our data suggest an alternative mechanism of procaspase-8 activation at the DISC. ..
- Göbel K, Melzer N, Herrmann A, Schuhmann M, Bittner S, Ip C, et al. Collateral neuronal apoptosis in CNS gray matter during an oligodendrocyte-directed CD8(+) T cell attack. Glia. 2010;58:469-80 pubmed publisher..Collateral neuronal apoptosis could contribute to substantial neuronal loss in gray matter lesions and cause persistent neurological impairment in both acute and chronic gray matter lesions in various inflammatory CNS disorders. ..
- Herkert B, Dwertmann A, Herold S, Abed M, Naud J, Finkernagel F, et al. The Arf tumor suppressor protein inhibits Miz1 to suppress cell adhesion and induce apoptosis. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:905-18 pubmed publisher..Our data point to a tumor-suppressive pathway that weakens cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions in response to expression of Arf and that may thereby facilitate the elimination of cells harboring an oncogenic mutation. ..
- Haupt C, Kloos K, Faus Kessler T, Huber A. Semaphorin 3A-Neuropilin-1 signaling regulates peripheral axon fasciculation and pathfinding but not developmental cell death patterns. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;31:1164-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sema3A-Npn-1 signaling plays an important role in the guidance and fasciculation of motor and sensory axons but does not contribute to the developmental elimination of these neurons. ..
- Missiou A, Köstlin N, Varo N, Rudolf P, Aichele P, Ernst S, et al. Tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated factor 1 (TRAF1) deficiency attenuates atherosclerosis in mice by impairing monocyte recruitment to the vessel wall. Circulation. 2010;121:2033-44 pubmed publisher..Tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated factors (TRAFs) are cytoplasmic adaptor proteins for this group of cytokines...
- Rehfeldt C, Renne U, Sawitzky M, Binder G, Hoeflich A. Increased fat mass, decreased myofiber size, and a shift to glycolytic muscle metabolism in adolescent male transgenic mice overexpressing IGFBP-2. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;299:E287-98 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that IGFBP-2 significantly inhibits postnatal skeletal myofiber growth by decreasing myogenic proliferation and protein accretion and enhances glycolytic muscle metabolism. ..
- Jamier V, Ba L, Jacob C. Selenium- and tellurium-containing multifunctional redox agents as biochemical redox modulators with selective cytotoxicity. Chemistry. 2010;16:10920-8 pubmed publisher..The synthesis of such compounds provides interesting challenges for chemistry in the future. ..
- Weiss J, Sos M, Seidel D, Peifer M, Zander T, Heuckmann J, et al. Frequent and focal FGFR1 amplification associates with therapeutically tractable FGFR1 dependency in squamous cell lung cancer. Sci Transl Med. 2010;2:62ra93 pubmed publisher..Thus, focal FGFR1 amplification is common in squamous cell lung cancer and associated with tumor growth and survival, suggesting that FGFR inhibitors may be a viable therapeutic option in this cohort of patients. ..
- Oberoi T, Dogan T, Hocking J, Scholz R, Mooz J, Anderson C, et al. IAPs regulate the plasticity of cell migration by directly targeting Rac1 for degradation. EMBO J. 2012;31:14-28 pubmed publisher..These observations unveil an evolutionarily conserved role of IAPs in controlling Rac1 stability thereby regulating the plasticity of cell migration and morphogenesis. ..
- Gloesenkamp C, Nitzsche B, Lim A, Normant E, Vosburgh E, Schrader M, et al. Heat shock protein 90 is a promising target for effective growth inhibition of gastrointestinal neuroendocrine tumors. Int J Oncol. 2012;40:1659-67 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study showed that Hsp90 inhibition may be an attractive target for innovative GEP-NET treatment alone or in combination with either IGF-1R or mTOR inhibitors. ..
- Anand R, Wai T, Baker M, Kladt N, Schauss A, Rugarli E, et al. The i-AAA protease YME1L and OMA1 cleave OPA1 to balance mitochondrial fusion and fission. J Cell Biol. 2014;204:919-29 pubmed publisher..Thus, OPA1 processing is dispensable for fusion but coordinates the dynamic behavior of mitochondria and is crucial for mitochondrial integrity and quality control. ..
- Jaco I, Annibaldi A, Lalaoui N, Wilson R, Tenev T, Laurien L, et al. MK2 Phosphorylates RIPK1 to Prevent TNF-Induced Cell Death. Mol Cell. 2017;66:698-710.e5 pubmed publisher..Thus, MK2-mediated phosphorylation of RIPK1 serves as a checkpoint within the TNF signaling pathway that integrates cell survival and cytokine production. ..
- Van Valen F, Fulda S, Schafer K, Truckenbrod B, Hotfilder M, Poremba C, et al. Selective and nonselective toxicity of TRAIL/Apo2L combined with chemotherapy in human bone tumour cells vs. normal human cells. Int J Cancer. 2003;107:929-40 pubmed
- Bobbala D, Koka S, Lang C, Boini K, Huber S, Lang F. Effect of cyclosporine on parasitemia and survival of Plasmodium berghei infected mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;376:494-8 pubmed publisher..berghei infected mice (from 0% to 94% 30 days after infection). In conclusion, cyclosporine augments eryptosis, decreases parasitemia and enhances host survival during malaria. ..
- Conradt L, Henrich A, Wirth M, Reichert M, Lesina M, Algül H, et al. Mdm2 inhibitors synergize with topoisomerase II inhibitors to induce p53-independent pancreatic cancer cell death. Int J Cancer. 2013;132:2248-57 pubmed publisher..In addition, we provide evidence that Mdm2 inhibitors delay DNA repair. These findings may help to design novel therapeutic strategies to overcome therapeutic resistance of PDAC. ..
- Kruger O, Plum A, Kim J, Winterhager E, Maxeiner S, Hallas G, et al. Defective vascular development in connexin 45-deficient mice. Development. 2000;127:4179-93 pubmed..Development of different types of vessels was impaired to a varying extent, which possibly reflects the complementation by other connexin(s). ..
- Beyer U, KrÃ¶nung S, Leha A, Walter L, Dobbelstein M. Comprehensive identification of genes driven by ERV9-LTRs reveals TNFRSF10B as a re-activatable mediator of testicular cancer cell death. Cell Death Differ. 2016;23:64-75 pubmed publisher..We propose that this avoids the survival of damaged germ cells. HDAC inhibition represents a strategy of restoring the expression of a class of ERV9-LTR-mediated genes in testicular cancer cells, thereby re-enabling tumor suppression. ..
- Washausen S, Obermayer B, Brunnett G, Kuhn H, Knabe W. Apoptosis and proliferation in developing, mature, and regressing epibranchial placodes. Dev Biol. 2005;278:86-102 pubmed..These findings suggest a role for apoptosis during the process of neuroblast generation in the epibranchial placodes. Finally, apoptosis eliminates remnants of the placodes in the presence of late invading macrophages...
- Lechel A, Holstege H, Begus Y, Schienke A, Kamino K, Lehmann U, et al. Telomerase deletion limits progression of p53-mutant hepatocellular carcinoma with short telomeres in chronic liver disease. Gastroenterology. 2007;132:1465-75 pubmed..The function of telomerase during in vivo hepatocarcinogenesis has not been studied in this genetic context...
- Burchert A, Wang Y, Cai D, von Bubnoff N, Paschka P, Müller Brüsselbach S, et al. Compensatory PI3-kinase/Akt/mTor activation regulates imatinib resistance development. Leukemia. 2005;19:1774-82 pubmed..Treatment with mTor inhibitors may thus be particularly effective in IM-sensitive patients, whereas Akt-pathway activation variably contributes to clinically overt IM resistance. ..
- Deckert Schlüter M, Rang A, Wiestler O. Apoptosis and apoptosis-related gene products in primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the central nervous system. Acta Neuropathol. 1998;96:157-62 pubmed..Since there was no statistical correlation between the degree of apoptosis and the expression of proteins of the bcl gene family, other apoptosis-inhibiting factors may be involved in the pathogenesis of primary CNS lymphomas. ..
- Hermes M, Osswald H, Kloor D. Role of S-adenosylhomocysteine hydrolase in adenosine-induced apoptosis in HepG2 cells. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:264-83 pubmed..Since several p53-target genes and other apoptosis-related genes were up-regulated by Adox, we conclude that AdoHcy is involved in adenosine-induced apoptosis by altering gene expression. ..
- Schulz R, Vogel T, Mashima T, Tsuruo T, Krieglstein K. Involvement of Fractin in TGF-beta-induced apoptosis in oligodendroglial progenitor cells. Glia. 2009;57:1619-29 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show that Fractin is not only an apoptotic marker, but has indeed a functional role in apoptotic signaling in oligodendrocytes. ..
- Dunkern T, Roos W, Kaina B. Apoptosis induced by MNNG in human TK6 lymphoblastoid cells is p53 and Fas/CD95/Apo-1 related. Mutat Res. 2003;544:167-72 pubmed..This is in contrast to CHO fibroblasts in which, in response to O(6)MeG, the mitochondrial damage pathway becomes activated. ..
- Burchert A, Cai D, Hofbauer L, Samuelsson M, Slater E, Duyster J, et al. Interferon consensus sequence binding protein (ICSBP; IRF-8) antagonizes BCR/ABL and down-regulates bcl-2. Blood. 2004;103:3480-9 pubmed
- Weirich C, Keene D, Kirsch K, Heil M, Neumann E, Dinser R. Expression of PSACH-associated mutant COMP in tendon fibroblasts leads to increased apoptotic cell death irrespective of the secretory characteristics of mutant COMP. Matrix Biol. 2007;26:314-23 pubmed..All COMP-mutants induce apoptotic cell death irrespective of their differing secretion patterns. Pathogenic pathways leading to tendon disease in humans appear to be heterogeneous between different COMP mutants. ..
- Pfister C, Pfrommer H, Tatagiba M, Roser F. Detection and quantification of farnesol-induced apoptosis in difficult primary cell cultures by TaqMan protein assay. Apoptosis. 2013;18:452-66 pubmed publisher..25 ?M farnesol for 2 h. Further, by TPA, active caspase-3 peaked after 2 h and declined with longer incubation times. This study demonstrates that cleaved caspase-3 is detected and quantified reliably in meningiomas by TPA. ..
- Kuhn H, Liebers U, Gessner C, Schumacher A, Witt C, Schauer J, et al. Adenovirus-mediated E2F-1 gene transfer in nonsmall-cell lung cancer induces cell growth arrest and apoptosis. Eur Respir J. 2002;20:703-9 pubmed..Moreover, treatment of implanted tumours in SCID mice with AdE2F inhibited tumour growth. These data suggest that adenovirus-mediated E2F-1 gene therapy may be effective in the treatment of nonsmall-cell lung cancer. ..
- Welss T, Sun J, Irving J, Blum R, Smith A, Whisstock J, et al. Hurpin is a selective inhibitor of lysosomal cathepsin L and protects keratinocytes from ultraviolet-induced apoptosis. Biochemistry. 2003;42:7381-9 pubmed..Given that lysosomal disruption, release of catL, and catL-mediated caspase activation are known to occur in response to cellular stress, we propose that a physiological role of hurpin is to protect epithelial cells from ectopic catL. ..
- Radsak M, Salih H, Rammensee H, Schild H. Triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells-1 in neutrophil inflammatory responses: differential regulation of activation and survival. J Immunol. 2004;172:4956-63 pubmed..These results give a new perspective for the regulation of neutrophil inflammatory responses emphasizing the importance of TREM-1 in innate immunity. ..
- Tögel M, Meyer H, Lehmacher C, Heinisch J, Pass G, Paululat A. The bHLH transcription factor hand is required for proper wing heart formation in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2013;381:446-59 pubmed publisher..Finally, in a candidate-based RNAi mediated knock-down approach we identified Daughterless and Nautilus as potential dimerization partners of Hand in wing hearts. ..
- Fischer S, Vier J, Kirschnek S, Klos A, Hess S, Ying S, et al. Chlamydia inhibit host cell apoptosis by degradation of proapoptotic BH3-only proteins. J Exp Med. 2004;200:905-16 pubmed..These results reveal a novel way by which microbes can interfere with the host cell's apoptotic machinery, and provide a molecular explanation of the cellular resistance to apoptosis during infection with Chlamydia. ..
- Gutscher M, Pauleau A, Marty L, Brach T, Wabnitz G, Samstag Y, et al. Real-time imaging of the intracellular glutathione redox potential. Nat Methods. 2008;5:553-9 pubmed publisher..It facilitated the observation of redox changes associated with growth factor availability, cell density, mitochondrial depolarization, respiratory burst activity and immune receptor stimulation. ..
- Geissler A, Haun F, Frank D, Wieland K, Simon M, Idzko M, et al. Apoptosis induced by the fungal pathogen gliotoxin requires a triple phosphorylation of Bim by JNK. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:1317-29 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that JNK-mediated BimEL phosphorylation at S100, T112 and S114 constitutes a novel regulatory mechanism to activate Bim in response to apoptotic stimuli. ..
- Lüschen S, Ussat S, Kronke M, Adam Klages S. Cleavage of human cytosolic phospholipase A2 by caspase-1 (ICE) and caspase-8 (FLICE). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;253:92-8 pubmed..The presence of multiple cleavage sites warrants proteolysis and inactivation of the proinflammatory cPLA2 during apoptosis. ..
- Sturm I, Bosanquet A, Hermann S, Guner D, Dorken B, Daniel P. Mutation of p53 and consecutive selective drug resistance in B-CLL occurs as a consequence of prior DNA-damaging chemotherapy. Cell Death Differ. 2003;10:477-84 pubmed..This finding may explain at least to some extent the development of resistance to second-line anticancer chemotherapy. ..
- Ahlemeyer B, Möwes A, Krieglstein J. Inhibition of serum deprivation- and staurosporine-induced neuronal apoptosis by Ginkgo biloba extract and some of its constituents. Eur J Pharmacol. 1999;367:423-30 pubmed..Our results suggest that EGb and some of its constituents possess anti-apoptotic capacity and that bilobalide is the most potent constituent. ..
- Ueffing N, Keil E, Freund C, Kühne R, Schulze Osthoff K, Schmitz I. Mutational analyses of c-FLIPR, the only murine short FLIP isoform, reveal requirements for DISC recruitment. Cell Death Differ. 2008;15:773-82 pubmed publisher..Thus, despite the presence of similar tandem DEDs, viral and cellular FLIPs inhibit apoptosis by remarkably divergent mechanisms. ..
- Lettau M, Paulsen M, Kabelitz D, Janssen O. Storage, expression and function of Fas ligand, the key death factor of immune cells. Curr Med Chem. 2008;15:1684-96 pubmed..This knowledge should allow to improve Fas/FasL-based therapeutical approaches that are currently under development. ..
- Reuter S, Bangen P, Edemir B, Hillebrand U, Pavenstadt H, Heidenreich S, et al. The HSP72 stress response of monocytes from patients on haemodialysis is impaired. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009;24:2838-46 pubmed publisher..Stress impairment is not restricted to uraemia but is already present in a rat model of chronic kidney disease. ..
- Bartsch G, Jennewein L, Harter P, Antonietti P, Blaheta R, Kvasnicka H, et al. Autophagy-associated proteins BAG3 and p62 in testicular cancer. Oncol Rep. 2016;35:1629-35 pubmed publisher..Our findings imply that in general apoptosis but not autophagy induction differs between normal and neoplastic testis tissue. ..
- Seyfried J, Wullner U. Inhibition of thioredoxin reductase induces apoptosis in neuronal cell lines: role of glutathione and the MKK4/JNK pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;359:759-64 pubmed..Inhibition of the specific kinases involved in cell death triggered by Trx/TrxR dysfunction could represent a novel and selective therapeutic approach in neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Richters L, Lange N, Renner R, Treiber N, Ghanem A, Tiemann K, et al. Exercise-induced adaptations of cardiac redox homeostasis and remodeling in heterozygous SOD2-knockout mice. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2011;111:1431-40 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, downregulation of SOD2 induces a maladaptive cardiac hypertrophy. In this situation, physical exercise results in a further deterioration of cardiac remodeling despite an upregulation of the antioxidative defense system. ..
- Haikala H, KlefstrÃ¶m J, Eilers M, Wiese K. MYC-induced apoptosis in mammary epithelial cells is associated with repression of lineage-specific gene signatures. Cell Cycle. 2016;15:316-23 pubmed publisher..Such abrupt cell identity switch could interfere with adhesion-dependent survival signaling and thus promote apoptosis in pre-malignant epithelial tissue. ..
- Menssen A, Epanchintsev A, Lodygin D, Rezaei N, Jung P, Verdoodt B, et al. c-MYC delays prometaphase by direct transactivation of MAD2 and BubR1: identification of mechanisms underlying c-MYC-induced DNA damage and chromosomal instability. Cell Cycle. 2007;6:339-52 pubmed
- Augstein P, Heinke P, Schober C, Salzsieder E. Impact of cytokine- and FasL-induced apoptosis in the beta-cell line NIT-1. Horm Metab Res. 2009;41:207-12 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cytokines account for the major part of cell death induced by the simultaneously action of FasL + IL-1beta/IFN-gamma. Caspases are of central importance for beta-cell death. ..
- Krane M, Dummler S, Dreßen M, Hauner H, Hoffmann M, Haller D, et al. Identification of an up-regulated anti-apoptotic network in the internal thoracic artery. Int J Cardiol. 2011;149:221-226 pubmed publisher..LMD revealed a higher expression of all anti-apoptotic genes in the intimal area of the ITA. These genes may play an important role in protecting the intima of the ITA from developing hyperplasia and atherosclerosis. ..
- Mulsow K, Enzlein T, Delebinski C, Jaeger S, Seifert G, Melzig M. Impact of Mistletoe Triterpene Acids on the Uptake of Mistletoe Lectin by Cultured Tumor Cells. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153825 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the uptake of ML by 143B-cells could only be measured after addition of triterpenes pointing to resistance to mistletoe lectin. ..
- Schmitz V, Raskopf E, Gonzalez Carmona M, Vogt A, Kornek M, Sauerbruch T, et al. Plasminogen derivatives encoding kringles 1-4 and kringles 1-5 exert indirect antiangiogenic and direct antitumoral effects in experimental lung cancer. Cancer Invest. 2008;26:464-70 pubmed publisher..In addition our data supports the recent conclusion that plasminogen derivatives have a dual antitumor mechanism affecting both tumor angiogenesis and tumor cells. ..
- Bodo E, Kany B, Gáspár E, Knüver J, Kromminga A, Ramot Y, et al. Thyroid-stimulating hormone, a novel, locally produced modulator of human epidermal functions, is regulated by thyrotropin-releasing hormone and thyroid hormones. Endocrinology. 2010;151:1633-42 pubmed publisher..Intraepidermal TSH expression appears to be regulated by the classical endocrine controls that determine the systemic HPT axis. ..
- Jilani K, Lang F. Carmustine-induced phosphatidylserine translocation in the erythrocyte membrane. Toxins (Basel). 2013;5:703-16 pubmed publisher..The effect on annexin V binding was significantly blunted in the absence of extracellular Ca²?. In conclusion, carmustine stimulates eryptosis at least partially by increasing cytosolic Ca²? activity...
- Rödicker F, Pützer B. p73 is effective in p53-null pancreatic cancer cells resistant to wild-type TP53 gene replacement. Cancer Res. 2003;63:2737-41 pubmed..Our findings support the use of p73 as an anticancer drug in p53-null pancreatic cancer cells that are resistant to wild-type TP53 gene replacement. ..
- Pressinotti N, Klocker H, Schafer G, Luu V, Ruschhaupt M, Kuner R, et al. Differential expression of apoptotic genes PDIA3 and MAP3K5 distinguishes between low- and high-risk prostate cancer. Mol Cancer. 2009;8:130 pubmed publisher..The genes MAP3K5 and PDIA3 are associated with malignant stages of prostate cancer and therefore provide novel potential biomarkers. ..
- Wiens M, Schröder H, Korzhev M, Wang X, Batel R, Muller W. Inducible ASABF-type antimicrobial peptide from the sponge Suberites domuncula: microbicidal and hemolytic activity in vitro and toxic effect on molluscs in vivo. Mar Drugs. 2011;9:1969-94 pubmed publisher..Finally, the gastropods are repelled from the sponge tissue by the ASABF. It is shown that the effector peptide ASABF is sequentially expressed after the induction of the HAD gene and a caspase, as a central enzyme executing apoptosis...
- Ahlbory D, Appl H, Lang D, Klempnauer K. Disruption of B-myb in DT40 cells reveals novel function for B-Myb in the response to DNA-damage. Oncogene. 2005;24:7127-34 pubmed..Our work provides the first direct evidence for a novel function of B-Myb in the response to DNA-damage. The cells described here should be a useful model to characterize this function in more detail. ..
- Chatterjee M, Rancso C, Stühmer T, Eckstein N, Andrulis M, Gerecke C, et al. The Y-box binding protein YB-1 is associated with progressive disease and mediates survival and drug resistance in multiple myeloma. Blood. 2008;111:3714-22 pubmed..Thus, YB-1 contributes to disease progression, survival, and drug resistance in MM and might therefore provide an attractive therapeutic target. ..
- Kloeters O, Friess H, Giese N, Buechler M, Cetin Y, Kulaksiz H. Uroguanylin inhibits proliferation of pancreatic cancer cells. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2008;43:447-55 pubmed publisher..In addition, determination of GC-C expression might be a useful marker for differentiation between pancreatic cancer and chronic pancreatitis. ..
- Christmann M, Tomicic M, Gestrich C, Roos W, Bohr V, Kaina B. WRN protects against topo I but not topo II inhibitors by preventing DNA break formation. DNA Repair (Amst). 2008;7:1999-2009 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the WRN status of tumor cells impacts anticancer therapy with topoisomerase I, but not topoisomerase II inhibitors. ..
- Siemen D, Ziemer M. What is the nature of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore and what is it not?. IUBMB Life. 2013;65:255-62 pubmed publisher..Thereafter, this review will critically report about some of the unknown elements and hypotheses that had to be rejected. ..
- Gil Parrado S, Fernandez Montalvan A, Assfalg Machleidt I, Popp O, Bestvater F, Holloschi A, et al. Ionomycin-activated calpain triggers apoptosis. A probable role for Bcl-2 family members. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:27217-26 pubmed..We conclude that ionomycin-induced calpain activation promotes decrease of Bcl-2 proteins thereby triggering the intrinsic apoptotic pathway. ..
- Ryu S, Holzschuh J, Erhardt S, Ettl A, Driever W. Depletion of minichromosome maintenance protein 5 in the zebrafish retina causes cell-cycle defect and apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18467-72 pubmed
- Ahmed M, Langer H, Abed M, Voelkl J, Lang F. The uremic toxin acrolein promotes suicidal erythrocyte death. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2013;37:158-67 pubmed publisher..Erythrocytes could be sensitized to cytosolic Ca(2+) by ceramide. In end stage renal disease, eryptosis may possibly be stimulated by uremic toxins. The present study explored, whether the uremic toxin acrolein could trigger eryptosis...
- Glienke W, Chow K, Bauer N, Bergmann L. Down-regulation of wt1 expression in leukemia cell lines as part of apoptotic effect in arsenic treatment using two compounds. Leuk Lymphoma. 2006;47:1629-38 pubmed..The therapeutic effect of arsenic is the induction of apoptosis by modulating the gene expression profile of pro- and anti-apoptotic genes including the wt1 gene. ..
- Schestkowa O, Geisel D, Jacob R, Hasilik A. The catalytically inactive precursor of cathepsin D induces apoptosis in human fibroblasts and HeLa cells. J Cell Biochem. 2007;101:1558-66 pubmed
- Beraza N, Malato Y, Vander Borght S, Liedtke C, Wasmuth H, Dreano M, et al. Pharmacological IKK2 inhibition blocks liver steatosis and initiation of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Gut. 2008;57:655-63 pubmed publisher..The data demonstrate that AS602868-mediated IKK2 inhibition represents a new therapeutic approach to prevent dietary-induced NASH progression. ..
- Lauber K, Blumenthal S, Waibel M, Wesselborg S. Clearance of apoptotic cells: getting rid of the corpses. Mol Cell. 2004;14:277-87 pubmed..Additionally, the recent discovery of lysophosphatidylcholine functioning as soluble attraction signal is discussed in the general context of apoptotic cell clearance. ..
- Tietze N, Pelisek J, Philipp A, Roedl W, Merdan T, Tarcha P, et al. Induction of apoptosis in murine neuroblastoma by systemic delivery of transferrin-shielded siRNA polyplexes for downregulation of Ran. Oligonucleotides. 2008;18:161-74 pubmed publisher..All our results demonstrate that OEI-HD/siRNA formulations can knockdown genes in tumor cells in vitro and in vivo in mice in the absence of unspecific toxicity. ..
- Müller M, Gagiannis S, Nawroth P, Brune M, Schilling T. Activation of the receptor for parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone related protein induces apoptosis via the extrinsic and intrinsic signaling pathway. Int J Mol Med. 2009;24:373-80 pubmed..Thus, beyond its importance in development and differentiation, we describe an important role for the PTH/PTHrP receptor system in apoptosis of differentiating/embryonic cells. ..
- He H, Fokas E, You A, Engenhart Cabillic R, An H. Siah1 proteins enhance radiosensitivity of human breast cancer cells. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:403 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that development of drugs augmenting Siah1 and Siah1L activity could be a novel approach in improving tumor cell kill. ..
- Hermann H, Runnel T, Aab A, Baurecht H, Rodriguez E, Magilnick N, et al. miR-146b Probably Assists miRNA-146a in the Suppression of Keratinocyte Proliferation and Inflammatory Responses in Psoriasis. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:1945-1954 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that besides miR-146a, miR-146b is expressed and might be capable of modulation of inflammatory responses and keratinocyte proliferation in psoriatic skin. ..
- Graf R, Freyberg M, Kaiser D, Friedl P. Mechanosensitive induction of apoptosis in fibroblasts is regulated by thrombospondin-1 and integrin associated protein (CD47). Apoptosis. 2002;7:493-8 pubmed..The presented mechanosensitive regulation of apoptosis in fibroblast cultures could be an essential mechanism for the regression of the granulation tissue by apoptosis in the process of wound healing. ..
- Reimertz C, Kogel D, Rami A, Chittenden T, Prehn J. Gene expression during ER stress-induced apoptosis in neurons: induction of the BH3-only protein Bbc3/PUMA and activation of the mitochondrial apoptosis pathway. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:587-97 pubmed..Our data suggest that the transcriptional induction of Bbc3/PUMA may be sufficient and necessary for ER stress-induced apoptosis. ..
- Sass G, Shembade N, Tiegs G. Tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNF)-TNF receptor 1-inducible cytoprotective proteins in the mouse liver: relevance of suppressors of cytokine signalling. Biochem J. 2005;385:537-44 pubmed..The identification of protective genes in hepatocytes is the prerequisite for future development of gene therapies for immune-mediated liver diseases. ..
- Engels K, Knauer S, Metzler D, Simf C, Struschka O, Bier C, et al. Dynamic intracellular survivin in oral squamous cell carcinoma: underlying molecular mechanism and potential as an early prognostic marker. J Pathol. 2007;211:532-40 pubmed..The pharmacogenetic interference with survivin's cytoplasmic localization is also to be pursued as a potential therapeutic strategy. ..
- Jaeger A, Baake J, Weiss D, Kriehuber R. Glycogen synthase kinase-3beta regulates differentiation-induced apoptosis of human neural progenitor cells. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2013;31:61-8 pubmed publisher..We assume that GSK-3beta drives neural progenitor cell apoptosis by direct interaction with pro-apoptotic BAX or by indirect influence on the canonical Wnt/beta-catenin target gene transcription. ..
- Ramos R, Igloi G, Lichte B, Baumann U, Maier D, Schneider T, et al. The irregular chiasm C-roughest locus of Drosophila, which affects axonal projections and programmed cell death, encodes a novel immunoglobulin-like protein. Genes Dev. 1993;7:2533-47 pubmed..Both known irreC alleles reduce the level of transcription, whereas the roughestCT mutation disrupts the intracellular domain of the protein. ..
- Albayrak T, Scherhammer V, Schoenfeld N, Braziulis E, Mund T, Bauer M, et al. The tumor suppressor cybL, a component of the respiratory chain, mediates apoptosis induction. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3082-96 pubmed..Our results therefore identify complex II as a sensor for apoptosis induction and could explain the unexpected observation that complex II is inactivated in tumors. ..
- Ahlemeyer B, Krieglstein J. Pharmacological studies supporting the therapeutic use of Ginkgo biloba extract for Alzheimer's disease. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2003;36 Suppl 1:S8-14 pubmed..0005 %. Taking together, there is experimental evidence for a neuroprotective effect of EGb 761 that agrees with clinical studies showing the efficacy of an oral treatment in patients with mild and moderate dementia. ..
- Graumann K, Hippe D, Gross U, Lüder C. Mammalian apoptotic signalling pathways: multiple targets of protozoan parasites to activate or deactivate host cell death. Microbes Infect. 2009;11:1079-87 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss advances in the understanding of these fascinating host-parasite interactions with special emphasis on how protozoa can modulate the cell death apparatus of its host. ..