Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aortic valve stenosis in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: aortic valve stenosis
- Barbanti M, Webb J, Hahn R, Feldman T, Boone R, Smith C, et al. Impact of preoperative moderate/severe mitral regurgitation on 2-year outcome after transcatheter and surgical aortic valve replacement: insight from the Placement of Aortic Transcatheter Valve (PARTNER) Trial Cohort A. Circulation. 2013;128:2776-84 pubmed publisher..TAVR may be a reasonable option in selected patients with combined aortic and mitral valve disease. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00530894. ..
- Karimi A, Beaver T, Fudge J. Percutaneous transfemoral closure of a pseudoaneurysm at the left ventricular apical access site for transcatheter aortic valve implantation. J Invasive Cardiol. 2015;27:E27-9 pubmed..Jude Medical). We also discuss various currently available devices and technical pearls for percutaneous closure of left ventricular pseudoaneurysms. ..
- Kapadia S, Goel S, Yuksel U, Agarwal S, Pettersson G, Svensson L, et al. Lessons learned from balloon aortic valvuloplasty experience from the pre-transcatheter aortic valve implantation era. J Interv Cardiol. 2010;23:499-508 pubmed publisher..Bridging to TAVI will provide further options to high-risk patients who cannot be bridged to conventional AVR. The role of BAV in bridging to TAVI merits further study. ..
- Galla J, Zakaib J, Callahan T, Askari A. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Iatrogenic left ventricle-to-coronary venous fistula. Circulation. 2006;114:e50 pubmed
- Freud L, Tworetzky W. Fetal interventions for congenital heart disease. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2016;28:156-62 pubmed publisher..FCI is an evolving form of treatment for congenital heart disease that holds promise for select patients. Critical evaluation of both short and long-term outcomes is warranted. ..
- Renker M, Varga Szemes A, Schoepf U, Baumann S, Piccini D, Zenge M, et al. A non-contrast self-navigated 3-dimensional MR technique for aortic root and vascular access route assessment in the context of transcatheter aortic valve replacement: proof of concept. Eur Radiol. 2016;26:951-8 pubmed publisher..The prevalence of renal failure is high among TAVR candidates. â€¢ Non-contrast 3D MR angiography allows for TAVR procedure planning. â€¢ The self-navigated sequence provides a significantly reduced scanning time. ..
- Elmariah S, Farrell L, Daher M, Shi X, Keyes M, Cain C, et al. Metabolite Profiles Predict Acute Kidney Injury and Mortality in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5:e002712 pubmed publisher..Given the multifactorial nature of AKI after TAVR, metabolite profiles may identify those patients with reduced renal reserve. ..
- Grote L, Repnikova E, Amudhavalli S. Expanding the phenotype of feingold syndrome-2. Am J Med Genet A. 2015;167A:3219-25 pubmed publisher..This report illustrates significant phenotypic variability within the clinical presentation of Feingold syndrome-2 and highlights considerable overlap with Feingold syndrome-1. ..
- Zeeshan A, Tuzcu E, Krishnaswamy A, Kapadia S, Mick S. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement: History and current indications. Cleve Clin J Med. 2015;82:S6-10 pubmed publisher..Current data suggest that the mortality and stroke rates are acceptable compared to surgical aortic valve replacement. There is a possible utility in moderate-risk patients as more data become available. ..
- Aru G, Juraszek A, Moskowitz I, Van Praagh R. Tetralogy of Fallot with congenital aortic valvar stenosis: the tetralogy-truncus interrelationship. Pediatr Cardiol. 2006;27:354-9 pubmed..Timely aortic valvuloplasty or replacement may well prove life-saving in such patients. ..
- Traber J, Wurche L, Dieringer M, Utz W, von Knobelsdorff Brenkenhoff F, Greiser A, et al. Real-time phase contrast magnetic resonance imaging for assessment of haemodynamics: from phantom to patients. Eur Radiol. 2016;26:986-96 pubmed publisher..A real-time technique, which allows application in arrhythmia, was validated. â€¢ This real-time technique might become a valuable tool in arrhythmic patients. ..
- Dvir D, Waksman R, Barbash I, Kodali S, Svensson L, Tuzcu E, et al. Outcomes of patients with chronic lung disease and severe aortic stenosis treated with transcatheter versus surgical aortic valve replacement or standard therapy: insights from the PARTNER trial (placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valve). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:269-79 pubmed publisher..However, CLD patients who were either poorly mobile or oxygen-dependent had poor outcomes. (THE PARTNER TRIAL: Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valve Trial; NCT00530894). ..
- Popma J, Adams D, Reardon M, Yakubov S, Kleiman N, Heimansohn D, et al. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement using a self-expanding bioprosthesis in patients with severe aortic stenosis at extreme risk for surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1972-81 pubmed publisher..Safety and Efficacy Study of the Medtronic CoreValve System in the Treatment of Symptomatic Severe Aortic Stenosis in High Risk and Very High Risk Subjects Who Need Aortic Valve Replacement; NCT01240902). ..
- Tanawuttiwat T, O Neill B, Cohen M, Chinthakanan O, Heldman A, Martinez C, et al. New-onset atrial fibrillation after aortic valve replacement: comparison of transfemoral, transapical, transaortic, and surgical approaches. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1510-9 pubmed publisher..AF was most common with SAVR and least common with TF-TAVR. Procedures without pericardiotomy were associated with a lower incidence of AF. ..
- Pant S, Patel S, Golwala H, Patel N, Pandey A, Badheka A, et al. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Complication Rates in Teaching Vs Non-Teaching Centers in the United States. J Invasive Cardiol. 2016;28:67-70 pubmed..Institutional design impacts TAVR complications, albeit with no difference in mortality. In general, complication rates are lower in teaching centers compared with non-teaching centers. ..
- Sedmera D, Cook A, Shirali G, McQuinn T. Current issues and perspectives in hypoplasia of the left heart. Cardiol Young. 2005;15:56-72 pubmed..In this review, we discuss the morphology, possible pathogenetic mechanisms, clinical management, and perspectives of prenatal intervention based on work in animal models. ..
- Ramakrishna G, Malouf J, Younge B, Connolly H, Miller F. Calcific retinal embolism as an indicator of severe unrecognised cardiovascular disease. Heart. 2005;91:1154-7 pubmed..CRE may be the presenting feature of otherwise asymptomatic, clinically important underlying cardiovascular disease and, in particular, haemodynamically severe calcific valve stenosis. ..
- Adams D, Popma J, Reardon M, Yakubov S, Coselli J, Deeb G, et al. Transcatheter aortic-valve replacement with a self-expanding prosthesis. N Engl J Med. 2014;370:1790-8 pubmed publisher..Funded by Medtronic; U.S. CoreValve High Risk Study ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01240902.). ..
- Miller J, Weiss R, Heistad D. Calcific aortic valve stenosis: methods, models, and mechanisms. Circ Res. 2011;108:1392-412 pubmed publisher..Key studies in humans and animals are reviewed that have shaped current paradigms in the field of CAVS, and suggest promising future areas for research. ..
- Panchal H, Ladia V, Desai S, Shah T, Ramu V. A meta-analysis of mortality and major adverse cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events following transcatheter aortic valve implantation versus surgical aortic valve replacement for severe aortic stenosis. Am J Cardiol. 2013;112:850-60 pubmed publisher..TAVI is a safe alternative to SAVR in selected high-risk elderly patients with severe aortic stenosis. ..
- Webb J, Doshi D, Mack M, Makkar R, Smith C, Pichard A, et al. A Randomized Evaluation of the SAPIEN XT Transcatheter Heart Valve System in Patients With Aortic Stenosis Who Are Not Candidates for Surgery. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;8:1797-806 pubmed publisher..The PARTNER II Trial: Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valves; NCT01314313). ..
- McBride K, Zender G, Fitzgerald Butt S, Koehler D, Menesses Diaz A, Fernbach S, et al. Linkage analysis of left ventricular outflow tract malformations (aortic valve stenosis, coarctation of the aorta, and hypoplastic left heart syndrome). Eur J Hum Genet. 2009;17:811-9 pubmed publisher..Overlapping linkage peaks provide evidence for a common genetic etiology. ..
- Schoenhagen P, Tuzcu E, Kapadia S, Desai M, Svensson L. Three-dimensional imaging of the aortic valve and aortic root with computed tomography: new standards in an era of transcatheter valve repair/implantation. Eur Heart J. 2009;30:2079-86 pubmed publisher..Procedural planning based on 3D imaging has already become routine for other endovascular procedures including aortic stent grafts, but is in its infancy in the context of transcatheter valve insertion. ..
- Suri R, Zehr K, Sundt T, Dearani J, Daly R, Oh J, et al. Left ventricular mass regression after porcine versus bovine aortic valve replacement: a randomized comparison. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;88:1232-7 pubmed publisher..Despite this, both prostheses allow similar regression of LV mass during the first year after aortic valve replacement. ..
- Blackshear J, Wysokinska E, Safford R, Thomas C, Stark M, Shapiro B, et al. Indexes of von Willebrand factor as biomarkers of aortic stenosis severity (from the Biomarkers of Aortic Stenosis Severity [BASS] study). Am J Cardiol. 2013;111:374-81 pubmed publisher..001), but BNP and the VWF latex agglutination immunoturbidic activity/VWF antigen ratio did not. In conclusion, the VWF activity indexes were associated with AS severity and bleeding and were predictive of cardiovascular outcomes. ..
- Athappan G, Patvardhan E, Tuzcu E, Svensson L, Lemos P, Fraccaro C, et al. Incidence, predictors, and outcomes of aortic regurgitation after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: meta-analysis and systematic review of literature. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61:1585-95 pubmed publisher..Mild AR may be associated with increased long-term mortality. Therefore, every effort should be made to minimize AR by a comprehensive pre-procedural planning and meticulous procedural execution. ..
- Poulin F, Yingchoncharoen T, Wilson W, Horlick E, GÃ©nÃ©reux P, Tuzcu E, et al. Impact of Prosthesis-Patient Mismatch on Left Ventricular Myocardial Mechanics After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..TAVR was associated with an incidence of PPM of 40%. Greater reverse LV remodeling using myocardial strain was evident in patients without PPM compared to PPM. Presence of PPM was not associated with mortality. ..
- Heimansohn D, Roselli E, Thourani V, Wang S, Voisine P, Ye J, et al. North American trial results at 1 year with the Sorin Freedom SOLO pericardial aortic valve. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016;49:493-9; discussion 499 pubmed publisher..The Freedom SOLO stentless pericardial aortic valve demonstrated excellent haemodynamics and a good safety profile out to the 1 year of follow-up. ..
- Panchal H, Barry N, Bhatheja S, Albalbissi K, Mukherjee D, Paul T. Mortality and major adverse cardiovascular events after transcatheter aortic valve replacement using Edwards valve versus CoreValve: A meta-analysis. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2016;17:24-33 pubmed publisher..The results of our meta-analysis suggest that TAVR procedure using CV may be associated with a higher incidence of MI, new PPM placement, and new onset LBBB compared to EV. However, the type of valve placed does not affect mortality. ..
- Hannan E, Samadashvili Z, Stamato N, Lahey S, Wechsler A, Jordan D, et al. Utilization and 1-Year Mortality for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement and Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in New York Patients With Aortic Stenosis: 2011 to 2012. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9:578-85 pubmed publisher..There are no differences between 1-year mortality rates for TAVR and SAVR patients. ..
- Pouch A, Tian S, Takebe M, Yuan J, Gorman R, Cheung A, et al. Medially constrained deformable modeling for segmentation of branching medial structures: Application to aortic valve segmentation and morphometry. Med Image Anal. 2015;26:217-31 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates a promising approach for quantitative 3DE analysis of aortic valve morphology. ..
- Carroll J, Vemulapalli S, Dai D, Matsouaka R, Blackstone E, Edwards F, et al. Procedural Experience for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement and Relation to Outcomes: The STS/ACC TVT Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:29-41 pubmed publisher..STS/ACC Transcatheter Valve Therapy Registry [TVT Registry]; NCT01737528). ..
- Brennan J, Thomas L, Cohen D, Shahian D, Wang A, Mack M, et al. Transcatheter Versus Surgical AorticÂ ValveÂ Replacement: Propensity-Matched Comparison. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:439-450 pubmed publisher..Among unselected intermediate- and high-risk patients, TAVR and SAVR resulted in similar ratesÂ ofÂ death, stroke, and DAOH to 1 year, but TAVR patients were more likely to be discharged home. ..
- Telila T, Akintoye E, Ando T, Merid O, Mallikethi Reddy S, Briasoulis A, et al. Incidence and Outcomes of Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:300-303 pubmed publisher..001). In conclusion, among patient who underwent TAVR, HIT was associated with higher risk of in-hospital mortality, venous thrombosis/pulmonary embolism, acute kidney injury, prolonged hospital stay, and increased cost. ..
- Arora S, Ramm C, Strassle P, Vaidya S, Caranasos T, Vavalle J. Review of Major Registries and Clinical Trials of Late Outcomes After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:331-336 pubmed publisher..A total of 12 studies met the inclusion criteria. We reviewed data from these studies with emphasis on long-term survival and echocardiographic findings. ..
- Williams M, Kodali S, Hahn R, Humphries K, Nkomo V, Cohen D, et al. Sex-related differences in outcomes after transcatheter or surgical aortic valve replacement in patients with severe aortic stenosis: Insights from the PARTNER Trial (Placement of Aortic Transcatheter Valve). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1522-8 pubmed publisher..This study sought to examine sex-specific differences in outcomes after surgical aortic valve replacement (SAVR) or transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) in high-risk patients with severe aortic stenosis...
- Mack M, Acker M, Gelijns A, Overbey J, Parides M, Browndyke J, et al. Effect of Cerebral Embolic Protection Devices on CNS Infarction in Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:536-547 pubmed publisher..Potential benefits for reduction in delirium, cognition, and symptomatic stroke merit larger trials with longer follow-up. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT02389894. ..
- Banerjee K, Poddar K, Mick S, White J, Krishnaswamy A, Johnston D, et al. Meta-Analysis of Usefulness of Anticoagulation After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1612-1617 pubmed publisher..The data regarding outcomes of patients on anticoagulation after TAVI are sparse. Systematic collection of anticoagulation data in the existing registries and future trials should be strongly considered in patients undergoing TAVI. ..
- Yao Q, Song R, Ao L, Cleveland J, Fullerton D, Meng X. Neurotrophin 3 upregulates proliferation and collagen production in human aortic valve interstitial cells: a potential role in aortic valve sclerosis. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017;312:C697-C706 pubmed publisher..It exerts these effects through the Trk-Akt-cyclin D1 cascade. NT3 is a profibrogenic mediator in human aortic valve, and overproduction of NT3 by aortic valve tissue may contribute to the mechanism of valvular sclerosis. ..
- Olson T, Michels V, Urban Z, Csiszar K, Christiano A, Driscoll D, et al. A 30 kb deletion within the elastin gene results in familial supravalvular aortic stenosis. Hum Mol Genet. 1995;4:1677-9 pubmed
- Nadlonek N, Lee J, Weyant M, Meng X, Fullerton D. ox-LDL induces PiT-1 expression in human aortic valve interstitial cells. J Surg Res. 2013;184:6-9 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of PiT-1 with phosphonoformate hexahydrate acid prevented ox-LDL-induced BMP-2 expression. These data offer mechanistic insight into the pathogenesis of calcific aortic stenosis. ..
- Matsushima S, Kuroda J, Ago T, Zhai P, Park J, Xie L, et al. Increased oxidative stress in the nucleus caused by Nox4 mediates oxidation of HDAC4 and cardiac hypertrophy. Circ Res. 2013;112:651-63 pubmed publisher..Nox4 plays an essential role in mediating cysteine oxidation and nuclear exit of HDAC4, thereby mediating cardiac hypertrophy in response to phenylephrine and pressure overload. ..
- Song Y, Fullerton D, Mauchley D, Su X, Ao L, Yang X, et al. Microfilaments facilitate TLR4-mediated ICAM-1 expression in human aortic valve interstitial cells. J Surg Res. 2011;166:52-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the interaction between ICAM-1 and microfilaments facilitates LPS-induced ICAM-1 expression in human AVICs. ..
- Deng X, Meng X, Venardos N, Song R, Yamanaka K, Fullerton D, et al. Autophagy negatively regulates pro-osteogenic activity in human aortic valve interstitial cells. J Surg Res. 2017;218:285-291 pubmed publisher..Our data showed that autophagy negatively regulates the pro-osteogenic activity in human AVICs, suggesting that upregulation of autophagy may prevent the progression of calcific aortic valve disease. ..
- Lloyd J, Nishimura R, Borlaug B, Eleid M. Hemodynamic Response to Nitroprusside in Patients With Low-Gradient Severe Aortic Stenosis and Preserved Ejection Fraction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1339-1348 pubmed publisher..These data highlight the utility of afterload reduction in the diagnostic assessment of LGSAS. ..
- Gupta T, Kalra A, Kolte D, Khera S, Villablanca P, Goel K, et al. Regional Variation in Utilization, In-hospital Mortality, and Health-Care Resource Use of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation in the United States. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1869-1876 pubmed publisher..The findings of our study may have important policy implications and should provide an impetus to understand the source of this regional variation. ..
- Ando T, Akintoye E, Trehan N, Telila T, Briasoulis A, Takagi H, et al. Comparison of In-Hospital Outcomes of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Versus Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in Obese (Body Mass Index???30?Kg/M2) Patients. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1858-1862 pubmed publisher..4 vs 10 days, p?<?0.001). TAVI portended similar in-hospital mortality and less certain perioperative complications. In TAVI, the medical cost was higher, but the length of stay was shorter and nonroutine discharge was less frequent. ..
- Bhatia N, Agrawal S, Yang S, Yadav K, Agarwal M, Garg L, et al. In-Hospital Outcomes of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation in Patients With End-Stage Renal Disease on Dialysis from a Large National Database. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1355-1358 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, patients with CKD 5D who undergo TAVI have a higher in-hospital mortality than those without CKD 5D. ..
- Alqahtani F, Aljohani S, Ghabra A, Alahdab F, Kawsara A, Holmes D, et al. Outcomes of Transcatheter Versus Surgical Aortic Valve Implantation for Aortic Stenosis in Patients With Hepatic Cirrhosis. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1193-1197 pubmed publisher..In these patients, TAVI was associated with lower in-hospital mortality when compared with SAVR. ..
- Grube E, Van Mieghem N, Bleiziffer S, Modine T, Bosmans J, Manoharan G, et al. Clinical Outcomes With a Repositionable Self-Expanding Transcatheter Aortic Valve Prosthesis: The International FORWARD Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:845-853 pubmed publisher..5% of patients. TAVR using the next-generation THV is clinically safe and effective for treating older patients with severe AS at increased operative risk. (CoreValve Evolut R FORWARD Study [FORWARD]; NCT02592369). ..
- Blanke P, Pibarot P, Hahn R, Weissman N, Kodali S, Thourani V, et al. Computed Tomography-Based Oversizing Degrees and Incidence of Paravalvular Regurgitation of a New Generation Transcatheter Heart Valve. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10:810-820 pubmed publisher..The PARTNER II Trial: Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valves [PARTNER II]; NCT01314313). ..
- Steffen R, Bakaeen F, Vargo P, Kindzelski B, Johnston D, Roselli E, et al. Impact of Cirrhosis in Patients Who Underwent Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:648-654 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the presence of cirrhosis poses a significant risk of death in patients who underwent surgical aortic valve replacement. When performed, the cost and length of stay are increased compared with those without cirrhosis. ..
- McCarthy C, Phelan D, Griffin B. When does asymptomatic aortic stenosis warrant surgery? Assessment techniques. Cleve Clin J Med. 2016;83:271-80 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the guidelines for valve replacement in this situation and highlight the variables useful in establishing which patients should be considered for early intervention even if they have no symptoms. ..
- Johnston L, Downs E, Hawkins R, Quader M, Speir A, Rich J, et al. Outcomes for Low-Risk Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement: A Benchmark for Aortic Valve Technology. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1282-1288 pubmed publisher..The most common complications were atrial fibrillation and bleeding. These real-world results should provide additional context for upcoming transcatheter clinical trial data. ..
- Cheng H, Yao Q, Song R, Zhai Y, Wang W, Fullerton D, et al. Lysophosphatidylcholine activates the Akt pathway to upregulate extracellular matrix protein production in human aortic valve cells. J Surg Res. 2017;213:243-250 pubmed publisher..oxLDL accumulation and generation of LysoPC in the aortic valve tissue may contribute to the mechanism of valvular sclerosis associated with the development and progression of aortic stenosis. ..
- Blackman D, Meredith I, Dumonteil N, Tchetche D, Hildick Smith D, Spence M, et al. Predictors of Paravalvular Regurgitation After Implantation of the Fully Repositionable and Retrievable Lotus Transcatheter Aortic Valve (from the REPRISE II Trial Extended Cohort). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:292-299 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the overall rates of PVL with the Lotus Valve are low and predominantly related to device/annulus areas and calcium; these findings have implications for optimal device sizing. ..
- Vahidkhah K, Javani S, Abbasi M, Azadani P, Tandar A, Dvir D, et al. Blood Stasis on Transcatheter Valve Leaflets and Implications for Valve-in-Valve Leaflet Thrombosis. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:751-759 pubmed publisher..A similar distribution pattern of BRT observed on the TAV leaflets may explain the similar rate of occurrence of thrombosis on the three leaflets. ..
- McNeely C, Zajarias A, Robbs R, Markwell S, Vassileva C. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Outcomes in Nonagenarians Stratified by Transfemoral and Transapical Approach. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;103:1808-1814 pubmed publisher..Transapical TAVR was associated with worse outcomes in nonagenarians. ..