Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on anopheles gambiae in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: anopheles gambiae
- Tsujimoto H, Liu K, Linser P, Agre P, Rasgon J. Organ-specific splice variants of aquaporin water channel AgAQP1 in the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75888 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that AgAQP1 may play roles associated with mating (courtship) and reproduction in addition to water homeostasis in this important African malaria vector. ..
- Otienoburu P, Nikbakhtzadeh M, Foster W. Orientation of Anopheles gambiae (Diptera: Culicidae) to Plant-Host Volatiles in a Novel Diffusion-Cage Olfactometer. J Med Entomol. 2016;53:237-40 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that the diffusion-cage olfactometer is an effective alternative to conventional wind-tunnel olfactometers, to test mosquito orientation to plant volatiles under seminatural conditions. ..
- Murphy E, Booth J, Davrazou F, Port A, Jones D. Interactions of Anopheles gambiae odorant-binding proteins with a human-derived repellent: implications for the mode of action of n,n-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide (DEET). J Biol Chem. 2013;288:4475-85 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the successful discovery of novel reagents targeting OBP function requires knowledge about the specific mechanism of binding to the OBP rather than their binding affinity. ..
- Zhang R, Hua G, Andacht T, Adang M. A 106-kDa aminopeptidase is a putative receptor for Bacillus thuringiensis Cry11Ba toxin in the mosquito Anopheles gambiae. Biochemistry. 2008;47:11263-72 pubmed publisher..4 nM. Notably, this truncated peptide inhibited Cry11Ba toxicity to An. gambiae larvae. These results are evidence that the 106-kDa GPI-anchored APN is a specific binding protein, and a putative midgut receptor, for Bt Cry11Ba toxin. ..
- Zianni M, Nikbakhtzadeh M, Jackson B, Panescu J, Foster W. Rapid discrimination between Anopheles gambiae s.s. and Anopheles arabiensis by High-Resolution Melt (HRM) analysis. J Biomol Tech. 2013;24:1-7 pubmed publisher..HRM analysis is simpler to use than most other methods and provides comparable or more accurate discrimination between the two sibling species but requires a specialized melt-analysis instrument and software. ..
- Zhang X, Zhang J, Zhu K. Chitosan/double-stranded RNA nanoparticle-mediated RNA interference to silence chitin synthase genes through larval feeding in the African malaria mosquito (Anopheles gambiae). Insect Mol Biol. 2010;19:683-93 pubmed publisher..These results suggest great potential for using such a nanoparticle-based RNAi technology for high-throughput screening of gene functions and for developing novel strategies for pest management. ..
- Cornman R. Molecular evolution of Drosophila cuticular protein genes. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8345 pubmed publisher..The prominent association between interlocus gene conversion and repeats within the coding sequence of interacting genes suggests that the latter promote strand exchange. ..
- Bryant W, Michel K. Anopheles gambiae hemocytes exhibit transient states of activation. Dev Comp Immunol. 2016;55:119-29 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the temporal pattern followed the gonotrophic cycle of the mosquito, strongly suggesting hormonal control of mosquito hemocyte activation and deactivation. ..
- Hire R, Hua G, Zhang Q, Mishra R, Adang M. Anopheles gambiae Ag55 cell line as a model for Lysinibacillus sphaericus Bin toxin action. J Invertebr Pathol. 2015;132:105-10 pubmed publisher..Presence of Î±-glucosidase gene (Agm3) expression in the Ag55 cells was also confirmed. Thus, Ag55 cells constitute an appropriate model system to decipher the mode of Bin action in mosquito larvae. ..
- Toups M, Hahn M. Retrogenes reveal the direction of sex-chromosome evolution in mosquitoes. Genetics. 2010;186:763-6 pubmed publisher..We use retrotransposed gene duplicates to show an excess of movement off the An. gambiae X chromosome only after the split with Ae. aegypti, suggesting that their ancestor had homomorphic sex chromosomes...
- Zhu Q, Arakane Y, Banerjee D, Beeman R, Kramer K, Muthukrishnan S. Domain organization and phylogenetic analysis of the chitinase-like family of proteins in three species of insects. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:452-66 pubmed publisher..In each of the three insect genomes, multiple genes encode group IV and group V chitinase-like proteins. In contrast, groups I-III are each represented by only a singe gene in each species...
- Xiang M, Linser P, Price D, Harvey W. Localization of two Na+- or K+-H+ antiporters, AgNHA1 and AgNHA2, in Anopheles gambiae larval Malpighian tubules and the functional expression of AgNHA2 in yeast. J Insect Physiol. 2012;58:570-9 pubmed publisher..The role that the electrogenic H(+) V-ATPase and the electrophoretic cationic and anionic transporters play in ion homeostasis is incorporated into a model for Malpighian tubule cells of larval mosquitoes...
- Shi L, Li B, Paskewitz S. Cloning and characterization of a putative inhibitor of melanization from Anopheles gambiae. Insect Mol Biol. 2006;15:313-20 pubmed..Gene knockdown did not result in faster or more extensive bead melanization but did result in more extensive melanization of wound sites following a thoracic bead injection. ..
- Zhang X, An C, Sprigg K, Michel K. CLIPB8 is part of the prophenoloxidase activation system in Anopheles gambiae mosquitoes. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2016;71:106-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study identifies CLIPB8 as an additional player in proPO activation cascade and highlights the complexity of the proteinase network that regulates melanization in An. gambiae. ..
- Dixit R, Arakane Y, Specht C, Richard C, Kramer K, Beeman R, et al. Domain organization and phylogenetic analysis of proteins from the chitin deacetylase gene family of Tribolium castaneum and three other species of insects. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:440-51 pubmed publisher..Most of the CDA-like proteins have a putative signal peptide consistent with their role in modifying extracellular chitin in both cuticle and peritrophic membrane during morphogenesis and molting. ..
- An C, Hiromasa Y, Zhang X, Lovell S, Zolkiewski M, Tomich J, et al. Biochemical characterization of Anopheles gambiae SRPN6, a malaria parasite invasion marker in mosquitoes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48689 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results strongly suggest that AgSRPN6 takes on a native serpin fold and is an inhibitor of trypsin-like serine proteinases. ..
- Hua G, Zhang R, Bayyareddy K, Adang M. Anopheles gambiae alkaline phosphatase is a functional receptor of Bacillus thuringiensis jegathesan Cry11Ba toxin. Biochemistry. 2009;48:9785-93 pubmed publisher..In bioassays against An. gambiae larvae, the presence of AgALP1(t) reduced larval mortality from 78 to 8%. We conclude that AgALP1 is a binding protein and a functional receptor for Cry11Ba toxin...
- Hua G, Zhang R, Abdullah M, Adang M. Anopheles gambiae cadherin AgCad1 binds the Cry4Ba toxin of Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis and a fragment of AgCad1 synergizes toxicity. Biochemistry. 2008;47:5101-10 pubmed publisher..AgCad1 in the larval brush border is a binding protein for Cry4Ba toxin. On the basis of binding results and CR11-MPED synergism of Cry4Ba toxicity, AgCad1 is probably a Cry4Ba receptor...
- Wang X, Zhao Q, Christensen B. Identification and characterization of the fibrinogen-like domain of fibrinogen-related proteins in the mosquito, Anopheles gambiae, and the fruitfly, Drosophila melanogaster, genomes. BMC Genomics. 2005;6:114 pubmed..The characterization of the FBG domains in the FREP family is likely to aid in the experimental analysis of the ability of mosquitoes to recognize parasites in innate immunity and physiologies associated with blood feeding. ..
- Gorman M, Dittmer N, Marshall J, Kanost M. Characterization of the multicopper oxidase gene family in Anopheles gambiae. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:817-24 pubmed publisher..This initial study of mosquito MCOs suggests that MCO2 may be required for egg development or eggshell tanning in addition to cuticle tanning, while MCO1 and MCO3 may be involved in metal metabolism or immunity...
- Jiang H, Liu S, Zhao P, Pope C. Recombinant expression and biochemical characterization of the catalytic domain of acetylcholinesterase-1 from the African malaria mosquito, Anopheles gambiae. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2009;39:646-53 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that choline inhibited r-AgAChE1, a phenomenon related to the enzyme activity decrease at high concentrations of acetylcholine...