Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Taiwan
- Lin D, Shih H. Essential role of the 58-kDa microspherule protein in the modulation of Daxx-dependent transcriptional repression as revealed by nucleolar sequestration. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:25446-56 pubmed..Taken together, these findings delineate a network of regulatory signaling pathways that converges on MSP58/Daxx interaction, causally associating Daxx nucleolus targeting with its transcriptional activation function. ..
- Su S, Ying H, Chiu Y, Lin F, Chen M, Lin K. Involvement of histone demethylase LSD1 in Blimp-1-mediated gene repression during plasma cell differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1421-31 pubmed publisher..These findings provide further insights into the molecular mechanism of the silencing of mature B-cell genes by Blimp-1 in plasma cell differentiation. ..
- Kuo Y, Wu Y, Su K. Cutaneous larva migrans induced by swallowing live pond loaches. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2011;36:878-81 pubmed publisher..The parasite was confirmed as belonging to the genus Gnathostoma, most likely Gnathostoma doloresi. The patient recovered uneventfully without treatment, and had no symptoms at his 12-month follow-up visit...
- Hu C, Lin H, Chiang M, Chang P, Chau L. Systemic expression of heme oxygenase-1 ameliorates type 1 diabetes in NOD mice. Diabetes. 2007;56:1240-7 pubmed..CO appears to mediate at least partly the beneficial effect of HO-1 in this disease setting. ..
- Tang C, Yang R, Liu C, Huang T, Fu W. Differential susceptibility of osteosarcoma cells and primary osteoblasts to cell detachment caused by snake venom metalloproteinase protein. Toxicon. 2004;43:11-20 pubmed..8 is much more susceptible to be detached by crovidisin. The matrix degradation by crovidisin may be responsible for the preferential detachment of ROS 17/2.8 osteosarcoma cells. ..
- Tang C, Sun Y. Use of mini-white as a reporter gene to screen for GAL4 insertions with spatially restricted expression pattern in the developing eye in drosophila. Genesis. 2002;34:39-45 pubmed
- Lo S, Yuan S, Hsu C, Cheng Y, Chang Y, Hsueh H, et al. Lc3 over-expression improves survival and attenuates lung injury through increasing autophagosomal clearance in septic mice. Ann Surg. 2013;257:352-63 pubmed publisher..Autophagy in the septic lung represents a protective response. However, autophagy, by virtue of excessive autophagosome accumulation, may play a maladaptive role in the late stage of sepsis, leading to acute lung injury. ..
- Chern S, Li S, Lu C, Chen E. Spatiotemporal expression of the serine protease inhibitor, SERPINE2, in the mouse placenta and uterus during the estrous cycle, pregnancy, and lactation. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2010;8:127 pubmed publisher..It may participate in the PA-modulated tissue remodeling process in the mouse placenta and uterus. ..
- Thu W, Wang C. Phylogenetic analysis of subgroup J avian leucosis virus from broiler and native chickens in Taiwan during 2000-2002. J Vet Med Sci. 2003;65:325-8 pubmed..The high similarities observed in different ALV-J isolates suggest that different ALV-Js were mixed in the pedigree generations in different breeding lines...
- Kuo Y, Lin Y, Don M, Chen R, Ueng Y. Induction of cytochrome P450-dependent monooxygenase by extracts of the medicinal herb Salvia miltiorrhiza. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2006;58:521-7 pubmed..miltiorrhiza. The CYP induction by the ethyl acetate extract and pharmaceutical product suggested that possible drug interactions between S. miltiorrhiza and CYP substrates should be noticed. ..
- Huang C, Hsu C, Chien S, Lin Y, Huang L, Tain Y. Aminoguanidine attenuates hypertension, whereas 7-nitroindazole exacerbates kidney damage in spontaneously hypertensive rats: the role of nitric oxide. Eur J Pharmacol. 2013;699:233-40 pubmed publisher..Salt exacerbates kidney damage mainly through decreasing renal nNOS-? protein levels and DDAH activity. Our findings highlight the protective role of the nNOS/NO pathway in the development of kidney damage in SHRs. ..
- Liao J, Lee J, Wu S, Chiou S. COOH-terminal truncations and site-directed mutations enhance thermostability and chaperone-like activity of porcine alphaB-crystallin. Mol Vis. 2009;15:1429-44 pubmed..Our study clearly demonstrated that both the length and electrostatic charge of the COOH-terminal segment play crucial roles in governing the structural stability and chaperone activity of alphaB-crystallin. ..
- Wang E, Hsieh Li H, Chiou Y, Chien Y, Ho H, Chin H, et al. Progressive renal distortion by multiple cysts in transgenic mice expressing artificial microRNAs against Pkd1. J Pathol. 2010;222:238-48 pubmed publisher..The two novel mutant lines of mice appear to be ideal models for the study of ADPKD...
- Lin Y, Dai Z, Lin R, Chu K, Chen I, Wu J, et al. Baicalin, a flavonoid from Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi, activates large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channels via cyclic nucleotide-dependent protein kinases in mesenteric artery. Phytomedicine. 2010;17:760-70 pubmed publisher..1 microM) currents. Baicalin produced MA relaxation by activating BK(Ca) and inhibiting VDCC channels by endothelium-independent mechanisms and by stimulating the cGMP/PKG and cAMP/PKA pathways. ..
- Ko W, Shih C, Chen M, Lai Y, Chen J, Chen C, et al. Suppressive effects of 3-O-methylquercetin on ovalbumin-induced airway hyperresponsiveness. Planta Med. 2004;70:1123-7 pubmed..In conclusion, 3-MQ has both anti-inflammatory and bronchodilating effects, and has the potential for use in the treatment of asthma at a dose without affecting blood pressure...
- Chen J, Liu S, Yang S, Suetsuna K. Soymilk intake is associated with plasma and liver lipid profiles in rats fed a high-cholesterol diet. Nutrition. 2004;20:929-33 pubmed..05) at weeks 4 and 8. However, total fecal excretion of neutral steroid did not significantly differ across groups (P > 0.05). Soymilk affects the metabolism of plasma cholesterol in Sprague-Dawley rats. ..
- Chen M, Hua K, Kao H, Chi C, Wei L, Johansson G, et al. H3K9 histone methyltransferase G9a promotes lung cancer invasion and metastasis by silencing the cell adhesion molecule Ep-CAM. Cancer Res. 2010;70:7830-40 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish a functional contribution of G9a overexpression with concomitant dysregulation of epigenetic pathways in lung cancer progression. ..
- Chuang J, Su S, Chiang B, Lee H, Chow L. Proteome mining for novel IgE-binding proteins from the German cockroach (Blattella germanica) and allergen profiling of patients. Proteomics. 2010;10:3854-67 pubmed publisher..These findings make it possible to monitor the individual IgE reactivity profile of each patient and facilitate personalized immunotherapies for German cockroach allergy disorders...
- Huang C, Su J, Chen B, Wen Z, Hsu C, Dai C, et al. nardosinane-type sesquiterpenoids from the formosan soft coral Paralemnalia thyrsoides. Mar Drugs. 2011;9:1543-53 pubmed publisher..Among these metabolites, 1 and 3 are rarely found nardosinane-type sesquiterpenoids, possessing novel polycyclic structures. Compounds 1, 3, 6 and 7 were found to possess neuroprotective activity. ..
- Lin W, Lu Y, Su J, Wen Z, Dai C, Kuo Y, et al. Bioactive cembranoids from the dongsha atoll soft coral Sarcophyton crassocaule. Mar Drugs. 2011;9:994-1006 pubmed publisher..7 macrophage cells by inhibiting the expression of the iNOS protein. Compound 4 was also found to effectively reduce the level of COX-2 protein. ..
- Tsou A, Yang C, Huang C, Yu R, Lee Y, Chang C, et al. Identification of a novel cell cycle regulated gene, HURP, overexpressed in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncogene. 2003;22:298-307 pubmed..Taken together, these results strongly suggest that HURP is a potential novel cell cycle regulator that may play a role in the carcinogenesis of human cancer cells. ..
- Hu S, Liang Z, Chia Y, Lien J, Chen K, Lee M, et al. Antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant effects of extracts from Pleurotus citrinopileatus. J Agric Food Chem. 2006;54:2103-10 pubmed..P. citrinopileatus extracts may have a significant antihyperlipidemia effect. Furthermore, antioxidant activities and antihyperlipidemic effects of MOE and EAE seemed to display similar tendencies. ..
- Tang C, Lin C, Tang T. Dynamic localization and functional implications of Aurora-C kinase during male mouse meiosis. Dev Biol. 2006;290:398-410 pubmed
- Chen S, Lee T, Lien Y, Tsai Y, Chang L, Yang Y. Microsuction of blastocoelic fluid before vitrification increased survival and pregnancy of mouse expanded blastocysts, but pretreatment with the cytoskeletal stabilizer did not increase blastocyst survival. Fertil Steril. 2005;84 Suppl 2:1156-62 pubmed..The microfilament inhibitor of CCB treatment did not increase their survival rates. ..
- Lavoué S, Arnegard M, Rabosky D, McIntyre P, Arcila D, Vari R, et al. Trophic evolution in African citharinoid fishes (Teleostei: Characiformes) and the origin of intraordinal pterygophagy. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2017;113:23-32 pubmed publisher..This situation contrasts with other groups in which dietary transitions have played key roles in species diversification. ..
- Cheng C, Sytwu H, Chang D. Decoy receptor 3 attenuates collagen-induced arthritis by modulating T cell activation and B cell expansion. J Rheumatol. 2011;38:2522-35 pubmed publisher..We suggest DCR3 as a prophylactic and potential therapeutic agent in the treatment of RA. ..
- Tain Y, Hsu C. Interplay between Oxidative Stress and Nutrient Sensing Signaling in the Developmental Origins of Cardiovascular Disease. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..A greater understanding of the mechanisms underlying cardiovascular programming is essential to developing early reprogramming interventions to combat the globally growing epidemic of CVD. ..
- Hwang Verslues W, Chang P, Wei P, Yang C, Huang C, Kuo W, et al. miR-495 is upregulated by E12/E47 in breast cancer stem cells, and promotes oncogenesis and hypoxia resistance via downregulation of E-cadherin and REDD1. Oncogene. 2011;30:2463-74 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel regulatory pathway centered on miR-495 that contributes to BCSC properties and hypoxia resistance. ..
- Gu H, Cheng S, Lin C, Huang C, Chen W, Chang S. Repellency of essential oils of Cryptomeria japonica (Pinaceae) against adults of the mosquitoes Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus (Diptera:Culicidae). J Agric Food Chem. 2009;57:11127-33 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the repellent activities of six compounds against adults of the mosquitoes were evaluated, and the results revealed that (-)-terpinen-4-ol exhibited the best repellent activity against A. aegypti and A. albopictus...
- Su P, Chen W, Li T, Chou C, Chen T, Ho Y, et al. The discrimination of type I and type II collagen and the label-free imaging of engineered cartilage tissue. Biomaterials. 2010;31:9415-21 pubmed publisher..By displaying the ?((2)) tensor ratios in the image format, the variation in the ?((2)) tensor ratios can be used as a contrast mechanism for distinguishing type I and II collagens. ..
- Tang S, Wang Y, Li Y, Lin H, Manzanero S, Hsieh Y, et al. Functional role of soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products in stroke. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:585-94 pubmed publisher..Early poststroke plasma sRAGE may play a protective role in IS by capturing HMGB1. Hence, recombinant sRAGE is a potential therapeutic agent in acute IS. ..
- Su C, Lan K, Li C, Chao Y, Lin H, Lee S, et al. Phosphorylation accelerates geldanamycin-induced Akt degradation. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2013;536:6-11 pubmed publisher..In this report, we show that GA-mediated transient activation of Akt accelerates its association with the E3 ligase CHIP (C-terminal Hsp70-interacting protein)-mediated ubiquitination and subsequent proteasome degradation. ..
- Yeh C, Yang H, Lee I, Wu Y. Caenorhabditis elegans TLK-1 controls cytokinesis by localizing AIR-2/Aurora B to midzone microtubules. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;400:187-93 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, human TLK2 could functionally substitute for tlk-1, suggesting that the mitotic roles of TLK members might be evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Yang S, Hong C, Huang Y, Tsai S. The effects of glycine transporter I inhibitor, N-methylglycine (sarcosine), on ketamine-induced alterations in sensorimotor gating and regional brain c-Fos expression in rats. Neurosci Lett. 2010;469:127-30 pubmed publisher..However, in the olfactory bulb, sarcosine, but not clozapine, significantly reduced the ketamine-induced increase in c-Fos expression. Our animal study demonstrated that sarcosine may have antipsychotic potential. ..
- Chen Y, Lee H, Liu C, Lin C, Tsai H. Novel regulatory sequence -82/-62 functions as a key element to drive the somite-specificity of zebrafish myf-5. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:41-50 pubmed..We conclude that the -70/-62 motif is essential for controlling somite-specific expression and the CCAAT-like box is essential for activating gene transcription. ..
- Tsai T, Chang C, Lin L. Effects of Evodia rutaecarpa and rutaecarpine on the pharmacokinetics of caffeine in rats. Planta Med. 2005;71:640-5 pubmed..This finding should be very important whenever herb-drug interactions would be possible for a herbal remedy...
- Kuo M, Lou S, Postlethwait J, Chung B. Chromosomal organization, evolutionary relationship, and expression of zebrafish GnRH family members. J Biomed Sci. 2005;12:629-39 pubmed..We propose a model describing the evolution of gnrh genes involving ancestral duplication of the genes followed by selective loss of one gene in some teleosts. ..
- Hsiao C, You M, Guh Y, Ma M, Jiang Y, Hwang P. A positive regulatory loop between foxi3a and foxi3b is essential for specification and differentiation of zebrafish epidermal ionocytes. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e302 pubmed
- Ho M, Chen H, Chen M, Jacques C, Giangrande A, Chien C. Gcm protein degradation suppresses proliferation of glial progenitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:6778-83 pubmed publisher..We propose that downregulation of Gcm protein levels by Slimb and Ago is required for glial progenitors to exit the cell cycle for differentiation. ..
- Tsai C, Tseng C, Hwang J, Wu C, Yu C, Wang Y, et al. Tachycardia of atrial myocytes induces collagen expression in atrial fibroblasts through transforming growth factor ?1. Cardiovasc Res. 2011;89:805-15 pubmed publisher..The results may imply that use of an Ang II receptor blocker, in combination with an anti-oxidant, blocks rapid-depolarization-induced atrial fibrosis. ..
- Yeh H, Lee P, Su C, Tian T, Ko Y, Tsai C. Reduced expression of endothelial connexins 43 and 37 in hypertensive rats is rectified after 7-day carvedilol treatment. Am J Hypertens. 2006;19:129-35 pubmed..In HUVEC carvedilol directly upregulates endothelial Cx43 and the effect is independent of its antioxidant activity. ..
- Chang P, Hwang Verslues W, Chang Y, Chen C, Hsiao M, Jeng Y, et al. Activation of Robo1 signaling of breast cancer cells by Slit2 from stromal fibroblast restrains tumorigenesis via blocking PI3K/Akt/?-catenin pathway. Cancer Res. 2012;72:4652-61 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings explain how a specific tumor microenvironment can restrain a given type of cancer cell from progression and show that both stromal fibroblasts and tumor cell heterogeneity affect breast cancer outcomes. ..
- Pao L, Hu O, Fan H, Lin C, Liu L, Huang P. Herb-drug interaction of 50 Chinese herbal medicines on CYP3A4 activity in vitro and in vivo. Am J Chin Med. 2012;40:57-73 pubmed..Mu Dan Pi, Ji Shiee Terng and Huang Qi were observed to have greatly increased in the C(max) and AUC of midazolam. This study provides evidence of possible herb-drug interactions involved with certain single herbs. ..
- Jung C, Yeh C, Shun C, Hsu R, Cheng H, Lin C, et al. Platelets enhance biofilm formation and resistance of endocarditis-inducing streptococci on the injured heart valve. J Infect Dis. 2012;205:1066-75 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the platelet is a host factor for commensal streptococci in the circulation to consolidate biofilm formation and protect bacteria against antibiotics...
- Lin C, Chia M, Chen P, Yeh C, Cheng M, Su I, et al. Assessment of pathogenicity and antigenicity of American lineage influenza H5N2 viruses in Taiwan. Virology. 2017;508:159-163 pubmed publisher..Monitoring zoonotic transmission of the novel H5N2 viruses is necessary. ..
- Chou C, Lou Y, Tang T, Chen C. Structure and DNA binding characteristics of the three-Cys(2)His(2) domain of mouse testis zinc finger protein. Proteins. 2010;78:2202-12 pubmed publisher..The DNA sequence and nonsequence-specific bindings occurring simultaneously in TZD provide valuable information for better understanding of protein-DNA recognition. ..
- Hsieh Y, Chang M, Chen J, Yen J, Lu I, Chou C, et al. Cloning of zebrafish BAD, a BH3-only proapoptotic protein, whose overexpression leads to apoptosis in COS-1 cells and zebrafish embryos. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;304:667-75 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that zBAD could induce apoptosis in vitro and in vivo and may have biological implications in apoptosis during zebrafish development. ..
- Jeng Y, Lin N, Chang P, Huang Y, Pang V, Liu C, et al. Retinal ischemic injury rescued by sodium 4-phenylbutyrate in a rat model. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:486-92 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that PBA demonstrates a marked neuroprotective effect upon high intraocular pressure-induced retinal ischemia when the PBA is administered prior to ischemia induction. ..
- Huang M, Chang P, Tsai M, Kuo H, Kuo W, Lee M, et al. Sensory and motor recovery after repairing transected cervical roots. Surg Neurol. 2007;68 Suppl 1:S17-24; discussion S24 pubmed..The success of our study highlights possible treatment options for humans with avulsion injuries of the dorsal roots from the spinal cord. ..
- Chiu C, Wei H, Wu L. Generation and utilization of P450 cholesterol side-chain cleavage enzyme and 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase antibodies for universal detection. J Immunoassay Immunochem. 2008;29:152-60 pubmed publisher..Thus, P450scc and 3beta-HSD are two specific polyclonal antibodies that are integral products in the investigation of the biological function and regulatory mechanism involved in steroidogenesis. ..
- Tsai C, Chou C, Yang C, Lai Y, Liang C, Chen C, et al. Hurp deficiency in mice leads to female infertility caused by an implantation defect. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:26302-6 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate for the first time that HURP affects endometrial stromal proliferation during implantation but is dispensable during normal development in mice; specifically, HURP has an essential function in uterine biology. ..
- Liu B, Wang P, Wang Y, Cheng W, Mersmann H, Ding S. Fasting regulates the expression of adiponectin receptors in young growing pigs. J Anim Sci. 2008;86:3377-84 pubmed publisher..c., but not visceral, adipose tissue. The adiponectin receptor, T-cadherin, was expressed in s.c. and visceral adipose tissue and in muscle, but only muscle mRNA expression was decreased by fasting. ..
- Shyu H, Hsu S, Hsieh Li H, Li H. A novel member of the RBCC family, Trif, expressed specifically in the spermatids of mouse testis. Mech Dev. 2001;108:213-6 pubmed..In situ hybridization indicated that Trif is expressed in the round spermatids of the seminiferous tubules. These expression data suggest that Trif may play an important role in the regulation of spermatogenesis. ..
- Wu R, Lin T, Ko J, Yeh D, Chen M, Ke H, et al. Cannabinoid receptor 1 regulates ERK and GSK-3?-dependent glucocorticoid inhibition of osteoblast differentiation in murine MC3T3-E1 cells. Bone. 2011;49:1255-63 pubmed publisher..Runx2 reciprocally regulates glucocorticoid-induced promotion of CB1 signaling. Our findings provide new insights into the role of the neuroendocrine component CB1 in glucocorticoid-induced osteoblast dysfunction. ..
- Lu H, Chiang C. Combined therapy of pentastarch, dexamethasone, and dibutyryl-cAMP or beta 2-agonist attenuates ischaemia/reperfusion injury of rat lung. Injury. 2008;39:1062-70 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, combination therapy with three protective agents (Penta+Dex+beta(2)-adrenergic agonist) caused the greatest attenuation of I/R. ..
- Lu J, Lu J, Choo S, Li Y, Yeh H, Shiue J, et al. Cascade effect of cardiac myogenesis gene expression during cardiac looping in tbx5 knockdown zebrafish embryos. J Biomed Sci. 2008;15:779-87 pubmed publisher..Our data suggests that the heart failure caused by the knockdown of tbx5 gene might result from the down-regulation of cardiac myogenesis genes. ..
- Chiang C, Huang W, Lee J, Hsu Y. Effective treatment of 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced hamster buccal pouch precancerous lesions by topical photosan-mediated photodynamic therapy. Head Neck. 2012;34:505-12 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that topical photosan-PDT is a very effective treatment modality for DMBA-induced hamster buccal pouch precancerous lesions. ..
- Hou C, Wang W, Huang X, Fu P, Chen T, Sheikh Hamad D, et al. Ultrasound-microbubble-mediated gene transfer of inducible Smad7 blocks transforming growth factor-beta signaling and fibrosis in rat remnant kidney. Am J Pathol. 2005;166:761-71 pubmed