Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Switzerland
Publications1389 found, 100 shown here
- Wehbrink D, Hassig M, Ritter N, Zerbe H, Bleul U, Boos A. Immunohistochemical demonstration of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and prostaglandin receptors EP2 and FP expression in the bovine intercaruncular uterine wall around term. Anim Reprod Sci. 2008;106:241-54 pubmed..EP2 remains rather unchanged during the peripartal period. COX-2 and FP thus contribute via changes in amount and distribution to mechanisms associated with parturition. ..
- Frauenschuh A, Power C, Deruaz M, Ferreira B, Silva J, Teixeira M, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of a highly selective chemokine-binding protein from the tick Rhipicephalus sanguineus. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:27250-8 pubmed
- Ernst G, Zimmermann S, Christie P, Frey B. Mercury, cadmium and lead concentrations in different ecophysiological groups of earthworms in forest soils. Environ Pollut. 2008;156:1304-13 pubmed publisher..Species differences in HM concentrations largely reflect differences in food selectivity and niche separation...
- Wiesmann C, Leder L, Blank J, Bernardi A, Melkko S, Decock A, et al. Structural determinants of MALT1 protease activity. J Mol Biol. 2012;419:4-21 pubmed publisher..Binding to the active site is coupled to a relative movement of caspase and Ig-like domains. MALT1 binding partners thus may have the potential of tuning MALT1 protease activity without binding directly to the caspase domain. ..
- Martin J, Maurhofer O, Bellance N, Benard G, Graber F, Hahn D, et al. Disruption of the histidine triad nucleotide-binding hint2 gene in mice affects glycemic control and mitochondrial function. Hepatology. 2013;57:2037-48 pubmed publisher..Hint2/HINT2 positively regulates mitochondrial lipid metabolism and respiration and glucose homeostasis. The absence of Hint2 provokes mitochondrial deformities and a change in the pattern of acetylation of selected proteins. ..
- Long R, BÃ¼rki A, Zysset P, Eglin D, Grijpma D, Blanquer S, et al. Mechanical restoration and failure analyses of a hydrogel and scaffold composite strategy for annulus fibrosus repair. Acta Biomater. 2016;30:116-125 pubmed publisher..Composite repair strategies were evaluated and optimized in quantitative three-part study that rigorously evaluated disk repair and provided a framework for evaluating alternate repair techniques. ..
- Ghatak S, Hascall V, Markwald R, Feghali Bostwick C, Artlett C, Gooz M, et al. Transforming growth factor ?1 (TGF?1)-induced CD44V6-NOX4 signaling in pathogenesis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10490-10519 pubmed publisher..These studies support a function for CD44V6 in lung fibrosis and offer proof of concept for therapeutic targeting of CD44V6 in lung fibrosis disorders. ..
- Belluoccio D, Trueb B. Matrilin-3 from chicken cartilage. FEBS Lett. 1997;415:212-6 pubmed..The primary structure is similar to that of matrilin-1 which is also expressed in a cartilage-specific manner. This similarity suggests that the genes for the two proteins may have evolved from a common ancestor by gene duplication. ..
- Homberger F, Zhang L, Barthold S. Prevalence of enterotropic and polytropic mouse hepatitis virus in enzootically infected mouse colonies. Lab Anim Sci. 1998;48:50-4 pubmed..These results confirm that the enterotropic MHV biotype is predominant in contemporary laboratory mouse colonies. The MHV biotype features need to be taken into consideration when dealing with MHV infections. ..
- Ingold K, Dai W, Rausch R, Gottstein B, Hemphill A. Characterization of the laminated layer of in vitro cultivated Echinococcus vogeli metacestodes. J Parasitol. 2001;87:55-64 pubmed..multilocularis laminated layer antigen Em2 did not cross-react with E. vogeli, indicating distinct compositional and antigenic differences between these 2 parasites. ..
- Teankum K, Pospischil A, Janett F, Brugnera E, Hoelzle L, Hoelzle K, et al. Prevalence of chlamydiae in semen and genital tracts of bulls, rams and bucks. Theriogenology. 2007;67:303-10 pubmed..abortus in rams and bucks, respectively. There was no correlation between serology and PCR of semen. The presence of chlamydiae in semen suggests the possibility of venereal transmission, although risk may be low in Switzerland. ..
- Krebs J, Aebli N, Goss B, Sugiyama S, Bardyn T, Boecken I, et al. Cardiovascular changes after pulmonary embolism from injecting calcium phosphate cement. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2007;82:526-32 pubmed..Reliable cohesion of CaP cements in an aqueous environment is essential for clinical applications such as osteoporotic bone augmentation...
- Engelhardt E, Micol L, Houis S, Wurm F, Hilborn J, Hubbell J, et al. A collagen-poly(lactic acid-co-?-caprolactone) hybrid scaffold for bladder tissue regeneration. Biomaterials. 2011;32:3969-76 pubmed publisher..Collagen-PLAC hybrids have potential for bladder tissue regeneration, as they show efficient cell seeding, proliferation, and good mechanical properties. ..
- Yamada K, Frouws T, Angst B, Fitzgerald D, DeLuca C, Schimmele K, et al. Structure and mechanism of the chromatin remodelling factor ISW1a. Nature. 2011;472:448-53 pubmed publisher..Results from a remodelling assay corroborate the dinucleosome model. We show how a chromatin remodelling factor could set the spacing between two adjacent nucleosomes acting as a 'protein ruler'. ..
- Turko P, Sigg L, Hollender J, Spaak P. Rapid evolutionary loss of metal resistance revealed by hatching decades-old eggs. Evolution. 2016;70:398-407 pubmed publisher..We infer that Daphnia in these lakes were able to rapidly adapt to increasing lead concentrations, and just as rapidly lost this adaptation when the stressor was removed. ..
- Izui S, Berney T, Shibata T, Fulpius T. IgG3 cryoglobulins in autoimmune MRL-lpr/lpr mice: immunopathogenesis, therapeutic approaches and relevance to similar human diseases. Ann Rheum Dis. 1993;52 Suppl 1:S48-54 pubmed..Our demonstration that anti-idiotypic mAb can prevent the pathogenic effects of the cryoprecipitable IgG3 RF mAb suggests strongly that such a therapeutic approach might be successful in similar diseases in man. ..
- Haas C, Ryffel B, Le Hir M. Crescentic glomerulonephritis in interferon-gamma receptor deficient mice. J Inflamm. 1995;47:206-13 pubmed..In conclusion, the role of macrophages in this model might have been overestimated, or other cytokines may compensate for deficient IFN gamma signaling in the activation of macrophages. ..
- Werner S, Grose R. Regulation of wound healing by growth factors and cytokines. Physiol Rev. 2003;83:835-70 pubmed..Most importantly, we also report on genetic studies addressing the functions of endogenous growth factors in the wound repair process...
- Berger P, Schaffitzel C, Berger I, Ban N, Suter U. Membrane association of myotubularin-related protein 2 is mediated by a pleckstrin homology-GRAM domain and a coiled-coil dimerization module. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:12177-82 pubmed..Our data indicate that phosphoinositide-protein interactions, as well as protein-protein interactions, are necessary for the correct regulation of MTMR2...
- Hermann D, Hossmann K, Mies G. Expression of c-jun, mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1, caspase-3 and glial fibrillary acidic protein following cortical cold injury in rats: relationship to metabolic disturbances and delayed cell death. Neuroscience. 2004;123:371-9 pubmed..The dissociated responses of c-jun, mkp-1 and caspase-3 mRNAs may represent important factors influencing tissue viability. ..
- Maier R, Krebs P, Ludewig B. Immunopathological basis of virus-induced myocarditis. Clin Dev Immunol. 2004;11:1-5 pubmed..In this article, we review recent studies on the role of viruses, with particular emphasis on CVB3, and different immunological effector mechanisms in initiation and progression of myocarditis. ..
- Schmid Hempel P, Reber Funk C. The distribution of genotypes of the trypanosome parasite, Crithidia bombi, in populations of its host, Bombus terrestris. Parasitology. 2004;129:147-58 pubmed..The highly structured and genetically diversified population of C. bombi is likely to result from strong genotypic host-parasite interactions...
- Rasmann S, Köllner T, Degenhardt J, Hiltpold I, Toepfer S, Kuhlmann U, et al. Recruitment of entomopathogenic nematodes by insect-damaged maize roots. Nature. 2005;434:732-7 pubmed..Development of new varieties that release the attractant in adequate amounts should help enhance the efficacy of nematodes as biological control agents against root pests like D. v. virgifera...
- Regoes A, Zourmpanou D, Leon Avila G, van der Giezen M, Tovar J, Hehl A. Protein import, replication, and inheritance of a vestigial mitochondrion. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30557-63 pubmed
- Kioy D, Mattock N. Control of sleeping sickness--time to integrate approaches. Lancet. 2005;366:695-6 pubmed
- Roche O, Rodríguez Sarmiento R. A new class of histamine H3 receptor antagonists derived from ligand based design. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2007;17:3670-5 pubmed..It also demonstrates that the removal of the basic center potentially interacting with ASP3.32 and common to both models leads to loss of activity, whereas the replacement of the second basic center by an acceptor retains the potency. ..
- Ziadinov I, Mathis A, Trachsel D, Rysmukhambetova A, Abdyjaparov T, Kuttubaev O, et al. Canine echinococcosis in Kyrgyzstan: using prevalence data adjusted for measurement error to develop transmission dynamics models. Int J Parasitol. 2008;38:1179-90 pubmed publisher..multilocularis of 11% (CIs 6-29%) compared with 26% in free-roaming dogs (CIs 17-44%) and independently within these groups hunting dogs were more likely to be infected than non-hunting dogs. ..
- Wilson A, Laurenti E, Oser G, van der Wath R, Blanco Bose W, Jaworski M, et al. Hematopoietic stem cells reversibly switch from dormancy to self-renewal during homeostasis and repair. Cell. 2008;135:1118-29 pubmed publisher..After re-establishment of homeostasis, activated HSCs return to dormancy, suggesting that HSCs are not stochastically entering the cell cycle but reversibly switch from dormancy to self-renewal under conditions of hematopoietic stress. ..
- Baumgärtel K, Tweedie Cullen R, Grossmann J, Gehrig P, Livingstone Zatchej M, Mansuy I. Changes in the proteome after neuronal zif268 overexpression. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:3298-316 pubmed publisher..The results provide a comprehensive and quantitative data set characterizing the Zif268-dependent proteome in the adult mouse brain and offers biologically important new insight into activity-dependent pathways downstream of IEGs. ..
- Heg D, Jutzeler E, Bonfils D, Mitchell J. Group composition affects male reproductive partitioning in a cooperatively breeding cichlid. Mol Ecol. 2008;17:4359-70 pubmed..Dominant females should be less sensitive, because female subordinates do not appear to impose reproductive costs and can be helpful through alloparental brood care. ..
- Jünger S, Gantenbein Ritter B, Lezuo P, Alini M, Ferguson S, Ito K. Effect of limited nutrition on in situ intervertebral disc cells under simulated-physiological loading. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009;34:1264-71 pubmed publisher..Cell viability decreased to 50% to 60% under limited nutrition within days and remained so up to 3 weeks. The surviving cells did not compensate matrix production in this time frame. ..
- Hoksch B, Rufer B, Gazdhar A, Bilici M, Beshay M, Gugger M, et al. Taurolidine in the prevention and therapy of lung metastases. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2009;36:1058-63 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, taurolidine seems to reduce established lung metastases in this in vivo model. Taurolidine may offer additional therapeutic options in patients with colon adenocarcinoma. ..
- Klopfstein S, Quicke D, Kropf C. The evolution of antennal courtship in diplazontine parasitoid wasps (Hymenoptera, Ichneumonidae, Diplazontinae). BMC Evol Biol. 2010;10:218 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to ascertain whether the loss of antennal coiling is irreversible on larger timescales, and whether evolutionary constraints have influenced courtship behavioural traits in a similar way in other groups. ..
- Corti R, Fuster V. Imaging of atherosclerosis: magnetic resonance imaging. Eur Heart J. 2011;32:1709-19b pubmed publisher..Such strategy is currently under clinical investigation. ..
- Silbering A, Rytz R, Grosjean Y, Abuin L, Ramdya P, Jefferis G, et al. Complementary function and integrated wiring of the evolutionarily distinct Drosophila olfactory subsystems. J Neurosci. 2011;31:13357-75 pubmed publisher..We integrate knowledge on the different phylogenetic and developmental properties of these receptors and circuits to propose models for the functional contributions and evolution of these distinct olfactory subsystems...
- Segers F, Taborsky B. Juvenile exposure to predator cues induces a larger egg size in fish. Proc Biol Sci. 2012;279:1241-8 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first evidence that predator cues perceived by females early in life positively affect egg mass, suggesting that these cues allow her to predict the predation risk for her offspring. ..
- Maira S, Pecchi S, Huang A, Burger M, Knapp M, Sterker D, et al. Identification and characterization of NVP-BKM120, an orally available pan-class I PI3-kinase inhibitor. Mol Cancer Ther. 2012;11:317-28 pubmed publisher..The pharmacological, biologic, and preclinical safety profile of NVP-BKM120 supports its clinical development and the compound is undergoing phase II clinical trials in patients with cancer. ..
- Gast H, Gordic S, Petrzilka S, Lopez M, Muller A, Gietl A, et al. Transforming growth factor-beta inhibits the expression of clock genes. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2012;1261:79-87 pubmed publisher..TGF-β2-induced dysregulation of clock genes may alter neuronal pathways, which may be causally related to abnormal sleep-wake rhythms in AD patients. ..
- GrandclÃ©ment C, Pick H, Vogel H, Held W. NK Cells Respond to Haptens by the Activation of Calcium Permeable Plasma Membrane Channels. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0151031 pubmed publisher..These findings raise the possibility that antigen-receptor independent activation of immune cells contributes to CHS. ..
- Hurrell R, Davidsson L, Reddy M, Kastenmayer P, Cook J. A comparison of iron absorption in adults and infants consuming identical infant formulas. Br J Nutr. 1998;79:31-6 pubmed..Further studies, however, are required to extend these findings to weaning foods and complete meals...
- Ripperger J, Schibler U. Circadian regulation of gene expression in animals. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2001;13:357-62 pubmed..In mammals, a master pacemaker localized in the suprachiasmatic nucleus synchronizes peripheral clocks via humoral cues. However, restricted feeding can uncouple peripheral oscillators from the suprachiasmatic pacemaker. ..
- Helbig H, Iseli H. Traumatic rupture of the globe caused by cow horns. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2002;12:304-8 pubmed..We investigated the epidemiology, clinical findings and functional outcome of open-globe injuries caused by cow horns over a 50-year period in eastern Switzerland...
- Brenneke F, Hatz C. Stonefish envenomation--a lucky outcome. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2006;4:281-5 pubmed..Surprisingly she did not develop complications after a considerable delay in receiving medical care. A review of the literature gives a brief account of pathophysiolology, complications and treatment. ..
- Belyanskaya L, Weigel S, Hirsch C, Tobler U, Krug H, Wick P. Effects of carbon nanotubes on primary neurons and glial cells. Neurotoxicology. 2009;30:702-11 pubmed publisher..Thus if SWCNTs can enter the nervous system at sufficiently high concentrations, it is likely that adverse effects on glial cells and neurons might occur. ..
- Kaeslin M, Reinhard M, Bühler D, Roth T, Pfister Wilhelm R, Lanzrein B. Venom of the egg-larval parasitoid Chelonus inanitus is a complex mixture and has multiple biological effects. J Insect Physiol. 2010;56:686-94 pubmed publisher..The multifunctionality of the venom might thus be essential in enabling parasitization of all stages of host eggs...
- Schoenenberger C, Andres A, Groner B, van der Valk M, LeMeur M, Gerlinger P. Targeted c-myc gene expression in mammary glands of transgenic mice induces mammary tumours with constitutive milk protein gene transcription. EMBO J. 1988;7:169-75 pubmed..The expression of the milk protein genes becomes independent of the lactogenic hormonal stimuli and persists even in transplanted nude mouse tumours. ..
- Hart C, Zhao K, Laemmli U. The scs' boundary element: characterization of boundary element-associated factors. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:999-1009 pubmed..The scs' element contains a high- and low-affinity binding site for BEAF. We observed that interaction with the low-affinity site is facilitated by binding to the high-affinity site some 200 bp distant. ..
- Brunner E, Peter O, Schweizer L, Basler K. pangolin encodes a Lef-1 homologue that acts downstream of Armadillo to transduce the Wingless signal in Drosophila. Nature. 1997;385:829-33 pubmed..Thus, our results indicate that Pan is an essential component of the Wg transduction pathway and suggest that it acts directly to regulate gene transcription in response to Wg signalling. ..
- Suter M, Lew A, Grob P, Adema G, Ackermann M, Shortman K, et al. BAC-VAC, a novel generation of (DNA) vaccines: A bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC) containing a replication-competent, packaging-defective virus genome induces protective immunity against herpes simplex virus 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:12697-702 pubmed
- Vorburger C. Fixation of deleterious mutations in clonal lineages: evidence from hybridogenetic frogs. Evolution. 2001;55:2319-32 pubmed..ridibunda tadpoles. Thus, in the heterozygous state, the deleterious mutations on the clonal R genomes did not appear to reduce tadpole fitness...
- Brunner P, Chatzivassiliou E, Katis N, Frey J. Host-associated genetic differentiation in Thrips tabaci (Insecta; Thysanoptera), as determined from mtDNA sequence data. Heredity (Edinb). 2004;93:364-70 pubmed..Given these findings and by the standards of genetic and ecological differentiation in other published species groups, T. tabaci must be considered a complex of cryptic (sub)species. ..
- Zuber C, Cormier J, Guhl B, Santimaria R, Hebert D, Roth J. EDEM1 reveals a quality control vesicular transport pathway out of the endoplasmic reticulum not involving the COPII exit sites. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:4407-12 pubmed
- Ben Abdallah N, Slomianka L, Lipp H. Reversible effect of X-irradiation on proliferation, neurogenesis, and cell death in the dentate gyrus of adult mice. Hippocampus. 2007;17:1230-40 pubmed..The work also represents a step toward optimized radiotherapy schedules. ..
- Janosi T, Petak F, Fontao F, Morel D, Beghetti M, Habre W. Differential roles of endothelin-1 ETA and ETB receptors and vasoactive intestinal polypeptide in regulation of the airways and the pulmonary vasculature in isolated rat lung. Exp Physiol. 2008;93:1210-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that VIP potently acts against the airway and pulmonary vascular constriction mediated by endothelin-1, while the ET(A) and ET(B) blockers exert a differential effect between airway resistance and PVR. ..
- Kaur K, Baur R, Sigel E. Unanticipated structural and functional properties of delta-subunit-containing GABAA receptors. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:7889-96 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that the delta-subunit can contribute to the formation of an agonist site in alpha(1)-beta(3)-alpha(1)/beta(3)-delta receptors. ..
- Bessa J, Jegerlehner A, Hinton H, Pumpens P, Saudan P, Schneider P, et al. Alveolar macrophages and lung dendritic cells sense RNA and drive mucosal IgA responses. J Immunol. 2009;183:3788-99 pubmed publisher..Our data show that IgA switching is controlled differently according to the cell type receiving TLR signals. This knowledge should facilitate the development of IgA-inducing vaccines. ..
- Herrmann A, Tozzo E, Funk J. Semi-automated quantitative image analysis of podocyte desmin immunoreactivity as a sensitive marker for acute glomerular damage in the rat puromycin aminonucleoside nephrosis (PAN) model. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2012;64:45-9 pubmed publisher..Additionally, a panel of acknowledged urinary kidney biomarkers was evaluated for utility in the PAN model...
- Goeldner C, Ballard T, Knoflach F, Wichmann J, Gatti S, Umbricht D. Cognitive impairment in major depression and the mGlu2 receptor as a therapeutic target. Neuropharmacology. 2013;64:337-46 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Cognitive Enhancers'. ..
- Sanciangco J, Carpenter K, Etnoyer P, Moretzsohn F. Habitat availability and heterogeneity and the indo-pacific warm pool as predictors of marine species richness in the tropical Indo-Pacific. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56245 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that conservation of habitat availability and heterogeneity is important to reduce extinction of marine species and that changes in sea surface temperatures may influence the evolutionary potential of the region. ..
- AbdAlla S, Langer A, Fu X, Quitterer U. ACE inhibition with captopril retards the development of signs of neurodegeneration in an animal model of Alzheimer's disease. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:16917-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data present strong evidence that ACE inhibition with a widely used cardiovascular drug could interfere with Abeta-dependent neurodegeneration. ..
- Bernasconi E, Gaudio E, Lejeune P, Tarantelli C, Cascione L, Kwee I, et al. Preclinical evaluation of the BET bromodomain inhibitor BAY 1238097 for the treatment of lymphoma. Br J Haematol. 2017;178:936-948 pubmed publisher..Our data also indicate the use of combination schemes targeting EZH2, mTOR and BTK alongside BET bromodomains. ..
- Christen T, Bischoff M, Hobi R, Kuenzle C. High mobility group proteins 1 and 2 bind preferentially to brominated poly(dG-dC).poly(dG-dC) in the Z-DNA conformation but not to other types of Z-DNA. FEBS Lett. 1990;267:139-41 pubmed..In contrast, the 58 kDa protein remained unidentified for lack of any significant homology with known protein sequences. ..
- Schweizer A, Rohrer J, Jeno P, DeMaio A, Buchman T, Hauri H. A reversibly palmitoylated resident protein (p63) of an ER-Golgi intermediate compartment is related to a circulatory shock resuscitation protein. J Cell Sci. 1993;104 ( Pt 3):685-94 pubmed..Overexpression of p63 in COS cells led to the development of a striking tubular membrane network in the cytoplasm. This suggests that the protein may be determinant for the structure of the p63 compartment. ..
- Fehling H, Iritani B, Krotkova A, Forbush K, Laplace C, Perlmutter R, et al. Restoration of thymopoiesis in pT alpha-/- mice by anti-CD3epsilon antibody treatment or with transgenes encoding activated Lck or tailless pT alpha. Immunity. 1997;6:703-14 pubmed..These results allow a better definition of the role of pT alpha in pre-TCR signal transduction and provide conclusive evidence that the cytoplasmic tail of pT alpha is not essential for pre-TCR signaling. ..
- Revelli J, Preitner F, Samec S, Muniesa P, Kuehne F, Boss O, et al. Targeted gene disruption reveals a leptin-independent role for the mouse beta3-adrenoceptor in the regulation of body composition. J Clin Invest. 1997;100:1098-106 pubmed..Taken together, these studies demonstrate that beta3-adrenoceptor disruption creates conditions which predispose to the development of obesity. ..
- Blum J, Bruckmaier R, Vacher P, Munger A, Jans F. Twenty-four-hour patterns of hormones and metabolites in week 9 and 19 of lactation in high-yielding dairy cows fed triglycerides and free fatty acids. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2000;47:43-60 pubmed
- Glatzel M, Aguzzi A. PrP(C) expression in the peripheral nervous system is a determinant of prion neuroinvasion. J Gen Virol. 2000;81:2813-21 pubmed..0.7 mm per day, and prion infectivity titres of sciatic nerves were much higher in tga20 than in wild-type mice, suggesting that overexpression of PrP(C) modulates the capacity for intranerval transport. ..
- Meier M, Janosik M, Kery V, Kraus J, Burkhard P. Structure of human cystathionine beta-synthase: a unique pyridoxal 5'-phosphate-dependent heme protein. EMBO J. 2001;20:3910-6 pubmed..This heme binding motif together with a spatially adjacent oxidoreductase active site motif could explain the regulation of its enzyme activity by redox changes. ..
- Rossier B. Hormonal regulation of the epithelial sodium channel ENaC: N or P(o)?. J Gen Physiol. 2002;120:67-70 pubmed
- Grenacher S, Krober T, Guerin P, Vlimant M. Behavioural and chemoreceptor cell responses of the tick, Ixodes ricinus, to its own faeces and faecal constituents. Exp Appl Acarol. 2001;25:641-60 pubmed..ricinus. This may account for the clumped distribution of this ectoparasite on the ground and contribute to the high proportion of mated individuals recorded prior to host colonization...
- Perreten V, Boerlin P. A new sulfonamide resistance gene (sul3) in Escherichia coli is widespread in the pig population of Switzerland. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2003;47:1169-72 pubmed..coli. Two copies of the insertion element IS15Delta/26 flanked the region containing sul3. The sul3 gene was detected in one-third of the sulfonamide-resistant pathogenic E. coli isolates from pigs in Switzerland...
- Agarkova I, Ehler E, Lange S, Schoenauer R, Perriard J. M-band: a safeguard for sarcomere stability?. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2003;24:191-203 pubmed..In conclusion, we discuss why the interference with M-band structure might have fatal consequences for the integrity of the working sarcomere. ..
- Mascarenhas J, Ruegg M, Sasaki T, Eble J, Engel J, Stetefeld J. Structure and laminin-binding specificity of the NtA domain expressed in eukaryotic cells. Matrix Biol. 2005;23:507-13 pubmed
- Raso G, Vounatsou P, Gosoniu L, Tanner M, N Goran E, Utzinger J. Risk factors and spatial patterns of hookworm infection among schoolchildren in a rural area of western Côte d'Ivoire. Int J Parasitol. 2006;36:201-10 pubmed..We conclude that, at the current resolution, it seems more reasonable to target interventions based on well-established epidemiologic risk factors, rather than on spatial factors...
- Lardi Studler B, Smolinsky B, Petitjean C, Koenig F, Sidler C, Meier J, et al. Vertebrate-specific sequences in the gephyrin E-domain regulate cytosolic aggregation and postsynaptic clustering. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1371-82 pubmed
- de Bruin A, Caldelari R, Williamson L, Suter M, Hunziker T, Wyder M, et al. Plakoglobin-dependent disruption of the desmosomal plaque in pemphigus vulgaris. Exp Dermatol. 2007;16:468-75 pubmed..These results identify PG as a principle effector of the PVIgG-induced signals downstream of c-Myc that disrupt the desmosomal plaque at the plasma membrane. ..
- Roger T, Froidevaux C, Le Roy D, Reymond M, Chanson A, Mauri D, et al. Protection from lethal gram-negative bacterial sepsis by targeting Toll-like receptor 4. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2348-52 pubmed publisher..coli sepsis when administered in a prophylactic and therapeutic manner up to 13 h after the onset of bacterial sepsis. These experimental data provide strong support for the concept of TLR4-targeted therapy for gram-negative sepsis. ..
- Pereira C, Bachli E, Schoedon G. The wnt pathway: a macrophage effector molecule that triggers inflammation. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2009;11:236-42 pubmed..The fact that Wnt5A signaling can be modulated by anti-inflammatory mediators makes this effector molecule an attractive target for therapeutic intervention in inflammatory diseases. ..
- Chandrasekar V, Dreyer J. The brain-specific Neural Zinc Finger transcription factor 2b (NZF-2b/7ZFMyt1) causes suppression of cocaine-induced locomotor activity. Neurobiol Dis. 2010;37:86-98 pubmed publisher..These changes lead to decreased responsiveness of the animal to the locomotor-activating effects of cocaine, indicating that NZF-2b/7ZFMyt1 expression plays an important role in phenotypic changes induced by the drug. ..
- Haybaeck J, Zeller N, Wolf M, Weber A, Wagner U, Kurrer M, et al. A lymphotoxin-driven pathway to hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Cell. 2009;16:295-308 pubmed publisher..Thus, sustained LT signaling represents a pathway involved in hepatitis-induced HCC. ..
- Steiner E, Balmelli C, Gerber H, Summerfield A, McCullough K. Cellular adaptive immune response against porcine circovirus type 2 in subclinically infected pigs. BMC Vet Res. 2009;5:45 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the T and B cell responses following PCV2 infection in 3-week old SPF piglets infected with PCV2 or PCV2 plus porcine parvovirus (PPV) were studied...
- Choong E, Dobrinas M, Carrupt P, Eap C. The permeability P-glycoprotein: a focus on enantioselectivity and brain distribution. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2010;6:953-65 pubmed publisher..P-gp can have a major impact on the distribution of drugs in selected organs, including the brain. Polymorphisms of the ABCB1 gene, which encodes for P-gp, can influence the kinetics of several drugs...
- Manneck T, Braissant O, Ellis W, Keiser J. Schistosoma mansoni: antischistosomal activity of the four optical isomers and the two racemates of mefloquine on schistosomula and adult worms in vitro and in vivo. Exp Parasitol. 2011;127:260-9 pubmed publisher..Our results may enhance our understanding of the mechanism of action and therapeutic profile of MQ derivates on schistosomes...
- Taraborrelli C, Palchykova S, Tobler I, Gast H, Birchler T, Fontana A. TNFR1 is essential for CD40, but not for lipopolysaccharide-induced sickness behavior and clock gene dysregulation. Brain Behav Immun. 2011;25:434-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results suggest that TNFR1 mediates SBS and dysregulation of clock genes in autoimmune diseases. ..