Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Spain
Publications924 found, 100 shown here
- Manzano A, Perez J, Nadal M, Estivill X, Lange A, Bartrons R. Cloning, expression and chromosomal localization of a human testis 6-phosphofructo-2-kinase/fructose-2,6-bisphosphatase gene. Gene. 1999;229:83-9 pubmed..This isozyme shows clear PFK-2 activity. Taken together, these results provide evidence for a new PFK-2/FBPase-2 gene coding for a human testis isozyme. ..
- Prieto G, McCall J, Venco L, Genchi M, Simon F, Genchi C. IgG response against infective larvae of Dirofilaria immitis in experimentally infected cats. Vet Res. 2001;32:93-6 pubmed..The low antigenicity of the SL3 antigen in the cat should allow the parasite to escape the host's immune response. ..
- Caloca M, Zugaza J, Vicente Manzanares M, Sanchez Madrid F, Bustelo X. F-actin-dependent translocation of the Rap1 GDP/GTP exchange factor RasGRP2. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:20435-46 pubmed..These results reveal a novel function of the actin cytoskeleton in mediating the spatial activation of Ras subfamily GTPases through the selective recruitment of GDP/GTP exchange factors. ..
- Rosa N, Samuel N, Lopez Guerrero -, Antonio J, Carmen C, Antonio P, et al. A poorly differentiated synovial sarcoma (SYT/SSX1) expresses neuroectodermal markers: a xenografts and in vitro culture study. Diagn Mol Pathol. 2004;13:52-9 pubmed..Present results show that this poorly differentiated synovial sarcoma not only expresses conventional biologic and genetical markers for SS but also neuroectodermal features when transplanted into nude mice and cultured in vitro. ..
- Acuna Castroviejo D, Escames G, Leon J, Carazo A, Khaldy H. Mitochondrial regulation by melatonin and its metabolites. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2003;527:549-57 pubmed..Due to the relationships between mitochondrial damage, aging and neurodegenerative diseases, the effects of melatonin here described further support its antiaging and neuroprotective properties. ..
- Martin V, Perales C, Dávila M, Domingo E. Viral fitness can influence the repertoire of virus variants selected by antibodies. J Mol Biol. 2006;362:44-54 pubmed..We discuss the significance of these results in relation to antibody selection, and to other selective forces likely encountered by viral quasispecies in vivo. ..
- Hernández A, Familiar O, Negri A, Rodríguez Barrios F, Gago F, Karlsson A, et al. N1-substituted thymine derivatives as mitochondrial thymidine kinase (TK-2) inhibitors. J Med Chem. 2006;49:7766-73 pubmed
- Ben Mosbah I, Massip Salcedo M, Fernández Monteiro I, Xaus C, Bartrons R, Boillot O, et al. Addition of adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activators to University of Wisconsin solution: a way of protecting rat steatotic livers. Liver Transpl. 2007;13:410-25 pubmed..TMZ and AICAR may constitute new additives to UW solution in steatotic liver preservation, whereas a combination of both seems unnecessary. ..
- Torres L, Sandoval J, Penella E, Zaragoza R, García C, Rodriguez J, et al. In vivo GSH depletion induces c-myc expression by modulation of chromatin protein complexes. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;46:1534-42 pubmed publisher..On the whole, our experiments suggest a novel mechanism for the effect of GSH on gene expression involving chromatin changes from a repressive to an open structure accessible to transcription factors such as STAT3. ..
- Martín López E, Nieto Diaz M, Nieto Sampedro M. Differential adhesiveness and neurite-promoting activity for neural cells of chitosan, gelatin, and poly-L-lysine films. J Biomater Appl. 2012;26:791-809 pubmed publisher..These films also promoted neurite extension from DRG, making them good candidates for tissue engineering of nerve repair. ..
- Sánchez Fidalgo S, Villegas I, Sanchez Hidalgo M, de la Lastra C. Sirtuin modulators: mechanisms and potential clinical implications. Curr Med Chem. 2012;19:2414-41 pubmed..This review is intended to provide an appreciation of the possible protection against aging-associated diseases by these enzymes, summarize novel underlying mechanisms and evaluate potential clinical applications. ..
- Pulido M, Rabanal Ruiz Y, Almabouada F, Diaz Ruiz A, Burrell M, Vazquez M, et al. Nutritional, hormonal, and depot-dependent regulation of the expression of the small GTPase Rab18 in rodent adipose tissue. J Mol Endocrinol. 2013;50:19-29 pubmed publisher..When viewed together, our results suggest the participation of Rab18 in the regulation of lipid processing in adipose tissue under both normal and pathological conditions. ..
- Martin M, Moran A, Carron R, Montero M, San Roman L. Antipyretic activity of alpha- and beta-santonin. J Ethnopharmacol. 1988;23:285-90 pubmed..These findings seem to show that the alpha- and beta-forms of santonin act on rectal temperature in a way similar to dopamine. ..
- Albalat R, Marfany G, Gonzalez Duarte R. Analysis of nucleotide substitutions and amino acid conservation in the Drosophila Adh genomic region. Genetica. 1994;94:27-36 pubmed..Key residues for dehydrogenasic function are also found in ADH-DUP, thus pointing to a dehydrogenase activity for ADH-DUP, albeit very different from that of ADH. ..
- Michelena P, De la Fuente M, Vega T, Lara B, Lopez M, Gandia L, et al. Drastic facilitation by alpha-latrotoxin of bovine chromaffin cell exocytosis without measurable enhancement of Ca2+ entry or [Ca2+]i. J Physiol. 1997;502 ( Pt 3):481-96 pubmed..This situation might be physiologically reproduced during ACh stimulation of chromaffin cells, which is followed by the firing of Na(+)-dependent action potentials. ..
- Sanchez Campos S, Gonzalez P, Ferreras C, Garcia Iglesias M, Gonzalez Gallego J, Tuñón M. Morphologic and biochemical changes caused by experimentally induced dicroceliosis in hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus). Comp Med. 2000;50:147-52 pubmed..The aim of the study reported here was to investigate the pathomorphologic changes caused by experimentally induced dicroceliosis and their correlation with hepatobiliary function...
- Tecles F, Ceron J. Determination of whole blood cholinesterase in different animal species using specific substrates. Res Vet Sci. 2001;70:233-8 pubmed..Additionally, propionylthiocholine could be used as an alternative substrate to butyrylthiocholine in horse whole blood samples...
- Amorós M, Corominas M, Deak P, Serras F. The ash2 gene is involved in Drosophila wing development. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:321-4 pubmed..Moreover, we have found that cross-vein development can be rescued in the absence of crossveinless-2 when the levels of ash2 were reduced. ..
- Queralt N, Jofre J, Araujo R, Muniesa M. Homogeneity of the morphological groups of bacteriophages infecting Bacteroides fragilis strain HSP40 and strain RYC2056. Curr Microbiol. 2003;46:163-8 pubmed..fragilis strain HSP40 and strain RYC2056 form a homogeneous group, Siphoviridae with slightly curved tails being the most predominant in sewage...
- de Dios I, Urunuela A, Manso M. Effects of early decompression and cholecystokinin inhibition in rats with acute pancreatitis induced by bile-pancreatic-duct obstruction. J Lab Clin Med. 2003;141:265-71 pubmed..CCK blockade does not accelerate pancreatic recovery after BPDO opening. ..
- Jimenez Vidal M, Gasol E, Zorzano A, Nunes V, Palacin M, Chillarón J. Thiol modification of cysteine 327 in the eighth transmembrane domain of the light subunit xCT of the heteromeric cystine/glutamate antiporter suggests close proximity to the substrate binding site/permeation pathway. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:11214-21 pubmed..The results indicate that Cys(327) is a functionally important residue accessible to the aqueous extracellular environment and is structurally linked to the permeation pathway and/or the substrate binding site...
- Pendas A, Folgueras A, Llano E, Caterina J, Frerard F, Rodriguez F, et al. Diet-induced obesity and reduced skin cancer susceptibility in matrix metalloproteinase 19-deficient mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:5304-13 pubmed..Based on these results, we suggest that this enzyme plays an in vivo role in some of the tissue remodeling events associated with adipogenesis, as well as in pathological processes such as tumor progression. ..
- Alvarez Pellitero P, Palenzuela O, Padrós F, Sitja Bobadilla A, Riaza A, Silva R, et al. Histophagous scuticociliatids (Ciliophora) parasitizing turbot Scophthalmus maximus: morphology, in vitro culture and virulence. Folia Parasitol (Praha). 2004;51:177-87 pubmed..The need of further studies to confirm such virulence variability and its implications in pathogenesis and prevention of turbot scuticociliatoses is stressed...
- Freire R, Insua A, Mendez J. Cerastoderma glaucum 5S ribosomal DNA: characterization of the repeat unit, divergence with respect to Cerastoderma edule, and PCR-RFLPs for the identification of both cockles. Genome. 2005;48:427-42 pubmed..Digestion of the 5S rDNA PCR product with the restriction enzymes HaeIII and EcoRV revealed two RFLPs useful for cockle identification. ..
- Mena A, Maci M, Borrell N, Moya B, de Francisco T, P rez J, et al. Inactivation of the mismatch repair system in Pseudomonas aeruginosa attenuates virulence but favors persistence of oropharyngeal colonization in cystic fibrosis mice. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:3665-8 pubmed publisher..These results may help in understanding the reasons for the low and high prevalences, respectively, of hypermutable P. aeruginosa strains in acute and chronic infections...
- Sánchez E, Rubio V, Thompson D, Metz J, Flik G, Millhauser G, et al. Phosphodiesterase inhibitor-dependent inverse agonism of agouti-related protein on melanocortin 4 receptor in sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R1293-306 pubmed publisher..This suggests that inverse agonism and competitive antagonism operate through different intracellular signaling pathways, a view that opens up new targets for the treatment of melanocortin-induced metabolic syndrome. ..
- Cano M, Ilundáin A. Ontogeny of D-mannose transport and metabolism in rat small intestine. J Membr Biol. 2010;235:101-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, intestinal D-mannose transport activity and metabolism were affected by ontogeny and intestinal segment. ..
- Gonzalez Pardo H, Conejo N, Lana G, Arias J. Different brain networks underlying the acquisition and expression of contextual fear conditioning: a metabolic mapping study. Neuroscience. 2012;202:234-42 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that contextual fear acquisition and expression differ as regards to the brain networks involved, although they share common brain regions involved in fear, anxiety, and defensive behavior. ..
- Marin O. Interneuron dysfunction in psychiatric disorders. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2012;13:107-20 pubmed publisher..These insights are leading to a better understanding of the causes of schizophrenia, autism and intellectual disabilities, and may contribute to the development of more-effective therapeutic interventions. ..
- Palma L, Hernández Rodríguez C, Maeztu M, Hernández Martínez P, Ruiz de Escudero I, Escriche B, et al. Vip3C, a novel class of vegetative insecticidal proteins from Bacillus thuringiensis. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:7163-5 pubmed publisher..Sequence analysis revealed a novel Vip3 protein class (Vip3C). Preliminary bioassays of larvae from 10 different lepidopteran species indicated that Vip3Ca3 caused more than 70% mortality in four species after 10 days at 4 ?g/cm(2)...
- Valdés Sánchez L, De la Cerda B, Diaz Corrales F, Massalini S, Chakarova C, Wright A, et al. ATR localizes to the photoreceptor connecting cilium and deficiency leads to severe photoreceptor degeneration in mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:1507-15 pubmed publisher..A new localization of ATR in the cilia of PRs and the fact that mutant mice have shorter cilia suggests that the PR degeneration here described results from a ciliary defect. ..
- Sampedro J, Guerrero I. Unrestricted expression of the Drosophila gene patched allows a normal segment polarity. Nature. 1991;353:187-90 pubmed..The ectopic en stripe fails to appear, but the normal one remains unaffected. The results imply that, despite its localized requirement, the restricted expression of ptc does not itself allocate positional information. ..
- Fueyo A, Uria J, Freije J, Lopez Otin C. Cloning and expression analysis of the cDNA encoding rat Zn-alpha 2-glycoprotein. Gene. 1994;145:245-9 pubmed
- Aloy P, Catasus L, Villegas V, Reverter D, Vendrell J, Aviles F. Comparative analysis of the sequences and three-dimensional models of human procarboxypeptidases A1, A2 and B. Biol Chem. 1998;379:149-55 pubmed
- Duarte J, Torres A, Zarzuelo A. Cardiovascular effects of visnagin on rats. Planta Med. 2000;66:35-9 pubmed..05) from those observed in segments with intact endothelium. In conclusion, the main mechanism responsible for the acute hypotensive effect of visnagin is the vasorelaxant response induced by this drug in resistance arteries. ..
- López Vázquez A, Martín Alonso J, Parra F. Characterisation of the RNA-dependent RNA polymerase from Rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus produced in Escherichia coli. Arch Virol. 2001;146:59-69 pubmed..Our study demonstrates that in an in vitro reaction recombinant RHDV RNA polymerase generated the minus strand of the heteropolymeric RNA substrates by a "copy-back" mechanism that initiated at the template 3'-terminal OH. ..
- Acebes A, Ferrus A. Increasing the number of synapses modifies olfactory perception in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2001;21:6264-73 pubmed..These results demonstrate that increased synapse number in the sensory neurons can modify the behavior of the organism, allowing a higher sensitivity of perception. ..
- Velázquez E, de Miguel T, Poza M, Rivas R, Rossello Mora R, Villa T. Paenibacillus favisporus sp. nov., a xylanolytic bacterium isolated from cow faeces. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2004;54:59-64 pubmed..According to the data obtained in this work, the strains belong to a novel species, for which the name Paenibacillus favisporus sp. nov. is proposed (type strain, GMP01T=LMG 20987T=CECT 5760T). ..
- Yusta Boyo M, Gonzalez M, Pavon N, Martin A, de la Fuente R, Garcia Castro J, et al. Absence of hematopoiesis from transplanted olfactory bulb neural stem cells. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;19:505-12 pubmed..These results suggest that embryonic olfactory bulb stem cells are not endowed with the potential to produce hematopoiesis. ..
- Valcarcel F, Corchero J, Olmeda A, Garcia Romero C. Epidemiology of cerebrospinal Elaphostrongylus cervi infection in red deer in central Spain. J Helminthol. 2004;78:265-70 pubmed..The infection was only detected in young deer during the winter. The estimation of larval production in the faeces was not a reliable method of diagnosing E. cervi infection...
- Giordano G, Sánchez Pérez A, Burgal M, Montoliu C, Costa L, Felipo V. Chronic exposure to ammonia induces isoform-selective alterations in the intracellular distribution and NMDA receptor-mediated translocation of protein kinase C in cerebellar neurons in culture. J Neurochem. 2005;92:143-57 pubmed..Chronic hyperammonemia reduces Ca+2-mediated but not diacylglycerol-mediated translocation of PKC isoforms induced by NMDA. ..
- Gómez Valadés A, Vidal Alabró A, Molas M, Boada J, Bermudez J, Bartrons R, et al. Overcoming diabetes-induced hyperglycemia through inhibition of hepatic phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase (GTP) with RNAi. Mol Ther. 2006;13:401-10 pubmed..These data reinforce the significance of PEPCK in sustaining diabetes-induced hyperglycemia and validate liver-specific intervention at the level of PEPCK for diabetes gene therapy. ..
- Sanchez Pulido L, Devos D, Sung Z, Calonje M. RAWUL: a new ubiquitin-like domain in PRC1 ring finger proteins that unveils putative plant and worm PRC1 orthologs. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:308 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the conserved domain architecture among PRC1 Ring finger proteins revealed the existence of long sought PRC1 protein orthologs in these organisms, suggesting the functional conservation of PRC1 throughout higher eukaryotes. ..
- Padilha A, Peçanha F, Vassallo D, Alonso M, Salaices M. Ouabain treatment changes the role of endothelial factors in rat resistance arteries. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008;600:110-6 pubmed publisher..This was accompanied by an increased COX-2 expression. Although this balance avoids changes in the phenylephrine concentration-response curves, these vascular changes might contribute to maintain the ouabain-induced hypertension. ..
- Costa Borges N, Paramio M, Calderon G, Santaló J, Ibáñez E. Antimitotic treatments for chemically assisted oocyte enucleation in nuclear transfer procedures. Cloning Stem Cells. 2009;11:153-66 pubmed publisher..Therefore, demecolcine- and nocodazole-assisted enucleation appears as an efficient alternative to mechanical enucleation, which can simplify nuclear transfer procedures. ..
- Bailon E, Roman J, Ramis I, Michelena P, Balsa D, Merlos M, et al. The new salicylate derivative UR-1505 modulates the Th2/humoral response in a dextran sodium sulphate model of colitis that resembles ulcerative colitis. J Pharmacol Sci. 2009;109:315-8 pubmed
- Sanchez Guijo F, Oterino E, Barbado M, Carrancio S, Lopez Holgado N, Muntion S, et al. Both CD133(+) cells and monocytes provide significant improvement for hindlimb ischemia, although they do not transdifferentiate into endothelial cells. Cell Transplant. 2010;19:103-12 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, transdifferentiation into endothelial cells is not the mechanism responsible for their beneficial effect. ..
- Toribio R, Ventoso I. Inhibition of host translation by virus infection in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:9837-42 pubmed publisher..A strategy as simple as that followed here might be applicable to other viruses to evaluate their interference on host translation in infected animals. ..
- Gonzalez J, García Barriuso M, Amich F. Ethnoveterinary medicine in the Arribes del Duero, western Spain. Vet Res Commun. 2011;35:283-310 pubmed publisher..We also identify several plants used as bedding or fodder for livestock and discuss the relevance of some toxic plants and some "magical-curative" aspects reported in the territory. ..
- Fedriani J, Delibes M. Dangerous liaisons disperse the Mediterranean dwarf palm: fleshy-pulp defensive role against seed predators. Ecology. 2011;92:304-15 pubmed..Our study thus illustrates the necessity of assessing concurrently direct and indirect effects of plant-disperser interactions at different stages of the plant life cycle and recruitment process. ..
- Valles Ortega J, Duran J, Garcia Rocha M, Bosch C, Saez I, Pujadas L, et al. Neurodegeneration and functional impairments associated with glycogen synthase accumulation in a mouse model of Lafora disease. EMBO Mol Med. 2011;3:667-81 pubmed publisher..Our results emphasize the relevance of the laforin-malin complex in the control of glycogen metabolism and highlight altered glycogen accumulation as a key contributor to neurodegeneration in LD. ..
- Badia R, Zanello G, Chevaleyre C, Lizardo R, Meurens F, Martinez P, et al. Effect of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. Boulardii and ?-galactomannan oligosaccharide on porcine intestinal epithelial and dendritic cells challenged in vitro with Escherichia coli F4 (K88). Vet Res. 2012;43:4 pubmed publisher..Finally, although these products may modulate DC activation, their effect under ETEC challenge conditions remains to be elucidated. ..
- Quetglas J, Dubrot J, Bezunartea J, Sanmamed M, Hervas Stubbs S, Smerdou C, et al. Immunotherapeutic synergy between anti-CD137 mAb and intratumoral administration of a cytopathic Semliki Forest virus encoding IL-12. Mol Ther. 2012;20:1664-75 pubmed publisher..This efficacious combinatorial immunotherapy strategy offers feasibility for clinical translation since anti-CD137 mAbs are already undergoing clinical trials and development of clinical-grade SFV-IL-12 vectors is in progress...
- GonzÃ¡lez SantamarÃa J, Villalba M, Busnadiego O, LÃ³pez OlaÃ±eta M, Sandoval P, Snabel J, et al. Matrix cross-linking lysyl oxidases are induced in response to myocardial infarction and promote cardiac dysfunction. Cardiovasc Res. 2016;109:67-78 pubmed publisher..LOX family members contribute significantly to the detrimental effects of cardiac remodelling, highlighting LOX inhibition as a potential therapeutic strategy for post-infarction recovery. ..
- MuÃ±oz CastaÃ±eda J, Herencia C, PendÃ³n Ruiz de Mier M, Rodriguez Ortiz M, Díaz Tocados J, Vergara N, et al. Differential regulation of renal Klotho and FGFR1 in normal and uremic rats. FASEB J. 2017;31:3858-3867 pubmed publisher..Diaz-Tocados, J. M., Vergara, N., MartÃnez-Moreno, J. M., SalmerÃ³n, M. D., Richards, W. G., Felsenfeld, A., Kuro-O, M., AlmadÃ©n, Y., RodrÃguez, M. Differential regulation of renal Klotho and FGFR1 in normal and uremic rats. ..
- Vaello T, Casas J, Pineda A, de Alfonso I, Marcos García M. Olfactory Response of the Predatory Bug Orius laevigatus (Hemiptera:Anthocoridae) to the Aggregation Pheromone of Its Prey, Frankliniella occidentalis (Thysanoptera: Thripidae). Environ Entomol. 2017;46:1115-1119 pubmed publisher..laevigatus. The results of this work highlight the importance of studying olfactory responses of natural enemies for a better understanding of their foraging behavior. Potential uses of these results in future studies are discussed. ..
- Creus E, Perez J, Peralta B, Baucells F, Mateu E. Effect of acidified feed on the prevalence of Salmonella in market-age pigs. Zoonoses Public Health. 2007;54:314-9 pubmed..05). Our results suggest that the administration of a combination of lactic and formic acids at the levels used in this study could be used to reduce Salmonella prevalence in finishing pigs. ..
- HernÃ¡ndez GascÃ³n B, Grasa J, Calvo B, RodrÃguez J. A 3D electro-mechanical continuum model for simulating skeletal muscle contraction. J Theor Biol. 2013;335:108-18 pubmed publisher..In addition, the predicted force-velocity relationship is in good agreement with experimental data reported for the fast-twitch extensor digitorum longus (e.d.l) muscle of male rats. ..
- Medina Sanchez M, Rodriguez Sanchez C, Vega Alvarez J, Menedez Pelaez A, Perez Casas A. Proximal skeletal muscle alterations in streptozotocin-diabetic rats: a histochemical and morphometric analysis. Am J Anat. 1991;191:48-56 pubmed
- Mateu M, da Silva J, Rocha E, De Brum D, Alonso A, Enjuanes L, et al. Extensive antigenic heterogeneity of foot-and-mouth disease virus of serotype C. Virology. 1988;167:113-24 pubmed..It is concluded that variation of epitopes involved in neutralization of FMDV is extensive among subtypes of serotype C and also among individual isolates of one subtype. ..
- Bernues J, Querol E. Non-random reconstitution of HMG1 and HMG2 in chromatin. Determination of the histone contacts. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1989;1008:52-61 pubmed..Also, we present evidence that HMG1 and HMG2 interact with the nucleosomal particle without replacing H1 or any other histone. ..
- Gallego C, Bartrons R, Carreras J. Fructose 2,6-bisphosphate and glucose 1,6-bisphosphate in rabbit erythroid cells during differentiation. FEBS Lett. 1987;222:167-70 pubmed..The enzymatic activities involved in glucose 1,6-bisphosphate metabolism also decrease, but the levels of aldohexose 1,6-bisphosphates remain essentially constant during differentiation of erythroid cells. ..
- Ferreiro J, Sierra L, Comendador M. Methodological aspects of the white-ivory assay of Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res. 1995;335:151-61 pubmed
- Papaceit M, Juan E. Chromosomal homologies between Drosophila lebanonensis and D. melanogaster determined by in situ hybridization. Chromosoma. 1993;102:361-8 pubmed..The results are also consistent with Muller's proposal that chromosomal elements have been conserved during the evolution of Drosophila. ..
- Rivero J, Talmadge R, Edgerton V. A sensitive electrophoretic method for the quantification of myosin heavy chain isoforms in horse skeletal muscle: histochemical and immunocytochemical verifications. Electrophoresis. 1997;18:1967-72 pubmed publisher..As it is less costly and time-consuming than both qualitative histochemistry and immunohistochemistry, the method offers new prospects for application in equine experimental studies and veterinary medicine...
- Barrallo A, Gonzalez Sarmiento R, García Isidoro M, Cidad P, Porteros A, Rodriguez R. Differential brain expression of a new beta-actin gene from zebrafish (Danio rerio). Eur J Neurosci. 1999;11:369-72 pubmed..Our results suggest that in adult brain zebrafish, this new gene is expressed during neuronal cell proliferation. ..
- Rutllant J, Lopez Gatius F, Camon J, Lopez Bejar M, López Plana C. A structural study of the bovine vaginal fluid at estrus. Scanning. 1999;21:204-11 pubmed..Our data suggest that the freeze-drying procedure better preserves the true structural dimensions of the vaginal fluid. Furthermore, the filamentous structure of the vaginal fluid does not appear to impede sperm transport. ..
- Vilches J, Ceballos D, Verdú E, Navarro X. Changes in mouse sudomotor function and sweat gland innervation with ageing. Auton Neurosci. 2002;95:80-7 pubmed..A reduction of sweat glands size in aged mice was also found, suggesting that the diminished sweat gland responsiveness with ageing may be attributed to sweat gland atrophy as well as to loss of innervation. ..
- Aldea M, Jun K, Shin H, Andres Mateos E, Solís Garrido L, Montiel C, et al. A perforated patch-clamp study of calcium currents and exocytosis in chromaffin cells of wild-type and alpha(1A) knockout mice. J Neurochem. 2002;81:911-21 pubmed..This may be due to altered Ca(2+) homeostasis in these mice, as compared to wild mouse chromaffin cells. ..
- Velasco A, Tabernero A, Medina J. Role of oleic acid as a neurotrophic factor is supported in vivo by the expression of GAP-43 subsequent to the activation of SREBP-1 and the up-regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase during postnatal development of the brain. Brain Res. 2003;977:103-11 pubmed..In conclusion, our results support the hypothesis that the synthesis of oleic acid is linked to neuronal differentiation during rat brain development. ..
- Bou R, Guardiola F, Barroeta A, Codony R. Effect of dietary fat sources and zinc and selenium supplements on the composition and consumer acceptability of chicken meat. Poult Sci. 2005;84:1129-40 pubmed..Consumer acceptability scores and TBA values of cooked dark chicken meat after 74 d or after 18 mo of frozen storage were not affected by any of the dietary factors studied. ..
- Sanchez D, López Arias B, Torroja L, Canal I, Wang X, Bastiani M, et al. Loss of glial lazarillo, a homolog of apolipoprotein D, reduces lifespan and stress resistance in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2006;16:680-6 pubmed..in this issue of Current Biology), who analyze the effects of overexpressing GLaz, we conclude that GLaz has a protective role in stress situations and that its absence reduces lifespan and accelerates neurodegeneration. ..
- Sánchez Marín P, Lorenzo J, Blust R, Beiras R. Humic acids increase dissolved lead bioavailability for marine invertebrates. Environ Sci Technol. 2007;41:5679-84 pubmed
- Fortuna M, García C, Guimarães P, Bascompte J. Spatial mating networks in insect-pollinated plants. Ecol Lett. 2008;11:490-8 pubmed publisher..This increases gene flow across the entire population, reducing its genetic structure, and potentially decreasing the role of genetic drift. ..
- Fernández Leiro R, Pereira Rodríguez A, Cerdán M, Becerra M, Sanz Aparicio J. Structural analysis of Saccharomyces cerevisiae alpha-galactosidase and its complexes with natural substrates reveals new insights into substrate specificity of GH27 glycosidases. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:28020-33 pubmed publisher..These results improve our knowledge on the activity of this important family of enzymes and give a deeper insight into the structural features that rule modularity and protein-carbohydrate interactions. ..
- Parisi E, Bozic M, Ibarz M, Panizo S, Valcheva P, Coll B, et al. Sustained activation of renal N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors decreases vitamin D synthesis: a possible role for glutamate on the onset of secondary HPT. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;299:E825-31 pubmed publisher..In animals with chronic kidney disease, high renal levels of glutamate could be involved in the downregulation of 1?-hydroxylase expression. ..
- Burguillos M, Hajji N, Englund E, Persson A, Cenci A, Machado A, et al. Apoptosis-inducing factor mediates dopaminergic cell death in response to LPS-induced inflammatory stimulus: evidence in Parkinson's disease patients. Neurobiol Dis. 2011;41:177-88 pubmed publisher..We also observed nuclear translocation of AIF in the ventral mesencephalon of Parkinson's disease subjects. ..
- Astobiza I, Barandika J, Ruiz Fons F, Hurtado A, Povedano I, Juste R, et al. Coxiella burnetii shedding and environmental contamination at lambing in two highly naturally-infected dairy sheep flocks after vaccination. Res Vet Sci. 2011;91:e58-63 pubmed publisher..burnetii shedders. These results suggest that optimal results of vaccination in heavily infected flocks may not be obtained in a short-term period...
- Castro Castro A, Ojeda V, Barreira M, Sauzeau V, Navarro Lérida I, Muriel O, et al. Coronin 1A promotes a cytoskeletal-based feedback loop that facilitates Rac1 translocation and activation. EMBO J. 2011;30:3913-27 pubmed publisher..Genetic evidence demonstrates that this relay circuit is essential for generating sustained Rac1 activation levels during cell signalling. ..
- Grueso E, Lopez Perez G, Castellano M, Prado Gotor R. Thermodynamic and structural study of phenanthroline derivative ruthenium complex/DNA interactions: probing partial intercalation and binding properties. J Inorg Biochem. 2012;106:1-9 pubmed publisher..Quenching process, thermal denaturation experiments and induced circular dichroism (ICD) are consistent with a partial intercalative binding mode. ..
- Bidon Chanal A, Fuertes A, Alonso D, Perez D, Martinez A, Luque F, et al. Evidence for a new binding mode to GSK-3: allosteric regulation by the marine compound palinurin. Eur J Med Chem. 2013;60:479-89 pubmed publisher..The results offer new opportunities for designing and developing selective inhibitors with novel mechanisms of action. ..
- Willemen H, Campos P, Lucas E, Morreale A, Gil Redondo R, Agut J, et al. A novel p38 MAPK docking-groove-targeted compound is a potent inhibitor of inflammatory hyperalgesia. Biochem J. 2014;459:427-39 pubmed publisher..These potent in vivo effects suggested p38 MAPK docking-site-targeted inhibitors as a potential novel strategy for the treatment of inflammatory pain. ..
- Robles N. The Safety of Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agents for the Treatment of Anemia Resulting from Chronic Kidney Disease. Clin Drug Investig. 2016;36:421-31 pubmed publisher..Later, increased mortality, malignancy progression and even stroke were reported in renal patients. This review focuses on the safety issues of ESAs in CKD patients. ..
- Segade F, Claudio E, Wrobel K, Ramos S, Lazo P. Isolation of nine gene sequences induced by silica in murine macrophages. J Immunol. 1995;154:2384-92 pubmed..A complex pattern of induction and repression was found, indicating that upon phagocytosis of silica particles, many regulatory mechanisms of gene expression are simultaneously triggered. ..
- Martinez Salas E, Regalado M, Domingo E. Identification of an essential region for internal initiation of translation in the aphthovirus internal ribosome entry site and implications for viral evolution. J Virol. 1996;70:992-8 pubmed..The results indicate a critical participation of the base of domain 3 in the activity of the aphthovirus IRES, with a strong effect of secondary or higher-order structures and minor effects of primary structure. ..
- Taberner E, Medrano A, Pena A, Rigau T, Miro J. Oestrus cycle characteristics and prediction of ovulation in Catalonian jennies. Theriogenology. 2008;70:1489-97 pubmed publisher..The logit function showed the best predictors to be follicle size, follicular texture and oestrous behaviour. Certain combinations of these three variables allow the prediction of ovulation within 24 h with a probability of >75%. ..