Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Portugal
Publications476 found, 100 shown here
- Valdeira M, Bernardes C, Cruz B, Geraldes A. Entry of African swine fever virus into Vero cells and uncoating. Vet Microbiol. 1998;60:131-40 pubmed..Some protease inhibitors inhibited viral replication at an early step, indicating that the initiation of infection depends on a viral proteolytic cleavage. ..
- Macedo M, de Sousa M. Transferrin and the transferrin receptor: of magic bullets and other concerns. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets. 2008;7:41-52 pubmed..In this article new emerging roles of Trf and its receptor on iron independent processes and in drug delivery are reviewed. ..
- Alves J, Gomes B, Rodrigues R, Silva J, Arez A, Pinto J, et al. Mosquito fauna on the Cape Verde Islands (West Africa): an update on species distribution and a new finding. J Vector Ecol. 2010;35:307-12 pubmed publisher..An additional species, Culex perexiguus, was collected for the first time in the archipelago during the 2007 survey. ..
- Seixas J, Mukhopadhyay A, Santos Silva T, Otterbein L, Gallo D, Rodrigues S, et al. Characterization of a versatile organometallic pro-drug (CORM) for experimental CO based therapeutics. Dalton Trans. 2013;42:5985-98 pubmed publisher..Reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation upon exposure to air and polyoxomolybdate formation in soaks with lysozyme crystals were observed as processes ensuing from the decomposition of the complex and the release of CO. ..
- Santhagunam A, Madeira C, Cabral J. Genetically engineered stem cell-based strategies for articular cartilage regeneration. Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 2012;59:121-31 pubmed publisher..Perspectives in cartilage engineering are also addressed. ..
- Resende C, Regalo G, DurÃ£es C, Pinto M, Wen X, Figueiredo C, et al. Interleukin-1B signalling leads to increased survival of gastric carcinoma cells through a CREB-C/EBPÎ²-associated mechanism. Gastric Cancer. 2016;19:74-84 pubmed publisher..Our results may help inform new strategies for the prevention and treatment of GC, including the control of chronic inflammation. ..
- Ribeiro V, Almeida L, Martins A, Pashkuleva I, Marques A, Ribeiro A, et al. Influence of different surface modification treatments on silk biotextiles for tissue engineering applications. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2016;104:496-507 pubmed publisher..The applied treatments had different effects on the scaffolds' surface properties, confirming that these modifications can be considered as useful techniques to modulate the surface of biomaterials according to the targeted application...
- Pinheiro P, Rodrigues R, Rebola N, Xapelli S, Oliveira C, Malva J. Presynaptic kainate receptors are localized close to release sites in rat hippocampal synapses. Neurochem Int. 2005;47:309-16 pubmed
- da Silva G, Teixeira N, Bell S. Major secretory product of the mesometrial decidua in the rat, a variant of alpha-2-macroglobulin, binds insulin-like growth factor I via a protease-dependent mechanism. Mol Reprod Dev. 1996;44:103-10 pubmed
- Carvalho F, Sousa M, Oliveira E, Carvalheiro J, Baldaia L. Ultrastructure of oogenesis in Penaeus kerathurus (Crustacea, Decapoda). I. Previtellogenic oocytes. J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol. 1998;30:409-16 pubmed
- Matos T, Duarte C, Goncalo M, Lopes M. DNFB activates MAPKs and upregulates CD40 in skin-derived dendritic cells. J Dermatol Sci. 2005;39:113-23 pubmed..However, MAPKs do not play a major role in the induction of CD40, one of the phenotypic markers of DC maturation. ..
- Santos A, Vasconcelos T, Mateus E, Farrall M, Gomes da Silva M, Paiva M, et al. Characterization of the volatile fraction emitted by phloems of four pinus species by solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2006;1105:191-8 pubmed..It can be concluded that it is possible to discriminate pine species based on the monoterpenes emissions of phloem samples. ..
- de Sousa R, Ismail N, Dória Nòbrega S, Costa P, Abreu T, Franca A, et al. The presence of eschars, but not greater severity, in Portuguese patients infected with Israeli spotted fever. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1063:197-202 pubmed..330). This study showed that the concepts of absence of the eschar and greater severity in Israeli spotted fever infection should be revised...
- Rodrigues L, Pires de Miranda M, Caloca M, Bustelo X, Simas J. Activation of Vav by the gammaherpesvirus M2 protein contributes to the establishment of viral latency in B lymphocytes. J Virol. 2006;80:6123-35 pubmed..These results reveal a novel strategy used by the murine gammaherpesvirus family to subvert the lymphocyte signaling machinery to its own benefit...
- Ferreira Dias G, Costa A, Mateus L, Korzekwa A, Redmer D, Skarzynski D. Proliferative processes within the equine corpus luteum may depend on paracrine progesterone actions. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2006;57 Suppl 8:139-51 pubmed
- Almeida A, Galão R, Sousa C, Novo M, Parreira R, Pinto J, et al. Potential mosquito vectors of arboviruses in Portugal: species, distribution, abundance and West Nile infection. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2008;102:823-32 pubmed publisher..The density and proximity of these mosquitoes to the human populations may constitute a public health threat in the case of involvement in arbovirus transmission cycles...
- Geraldes A, Carneiro M, Delibes Mateos M, Villafuerte R, Nachman M, Ferrand N. Reduced introgression of the Y chromosome between subspecies of the European rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) in the Iberian Peninsula. Mol Ecol. 2008;17:4489-99 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that there is a clear dichotomy in the rabbit genome and that some loci remain highly differentiated despite extensive gene flow following secondary contact. ..
- Cascão R, Rosário H, Souto Carneiro M, Fonseca J. Neutrophils in rheumatoid arthritis: More than simple final effectors. Autoimmun Rev. 2010;9:531-5 pubmed publisher..The herein article reviews recent progresses in the understanding of the immunopathology of RA with a special emphasis on the role of neutrophils. ..
- de Almeida S, García Sacristán A, Custódio N, Carmo Fonseca M. A link between nuclear RNA surveillance, the human exosome and RNA polymerase II transcriptional termination. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:8015-26 pubmed publisher..This reveals an unprecedented link between nuclear RNA surveillance, the exosome and Pol II transcriptional termination. ..
- Rodrigues S, Vale P, Chaveca T, Laires A, Rueff J, Oliveira N. Naturally contaminated shellfish samples: quantification of diarrhetic shellfish poisoning toxins in unhydrolysed and hydrolysed extracts and cytotoxicity assessment. J Appl Toxicol. 2010;30:699-707 pubmed publisher..For the hydrolysed extracts of cockles and mussels, the cytotoxicity presented was mainly related to the concentration of OA and DTX2...
- Sousa S, Lopes A, Cardoso L, Silvestre R, Schallig H, Reed S, et al. Seroepidemiological survey of Leishmania infantum infection in dogs from northeastern Portugal. Acta Trop. 2011;120:82-7 pubmed publisher..2%) and those living in a mixed habitat (27.5%). Risk factors for canine Leishmania infection, as defined by multiple logistic regression analysis, were of clinical status (odds ratio [OR] = 3.1) and Toxoplasma infection (OR = 1.5)...
- Sousa S, Afonso N, Bensimon Brito A, Fonseca M, Simoes M, Leon J, et al. Differentiated skeletal cells contribute to blastema formation during zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2011;138:3897-905 pubmed publisher..These findings provide novel insights into the origin of cells in epimorphic appendage regeneration in zebrafish and suggest conservation of regeneration mechanisms between fish and amphibians. ..
- Basto A, Piedade J, Ramalho R, Alves S, Soares H, Cornelis P, et al. A new cloning system based on the OprI lipoprotein for the production of recombinant bacterial cell wall-derived immunogenic formulations. J Biotechnol. 2012;157:50-63 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results validate a new system suitable for the production of immunogenic formulations that can be used for the development of experimental vaccines and for studies on the modulation of acquired immunity. ..
- Martins C, Cação R, Cole K, Phillips D, Laires A, Rueff J, et al. Estragole: a weak direct-acting food-borne genotoxin and potential carcinogen. Mutat Res. 2012;747:86-92 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results suggest that estragole, besides being metabolized to genotoxic metabolites, is a weak direct-acting genotoxin that forms DNA adducts. ..
- Rosmaninho Salgado J, Marques A, Estrada M, Santana M, Cortez V, Grouzmann E, et al. Dipeptidyl-peptidase-IV by cleaving neuropeptide Y induces lipid accumulation and PPAR-? expression. Peptides. 2012;37:49-54 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that DPPIV and NPY interact on lipid metabolism to promote adipose tissue depot. ..
- Pereira F, Cunha Oliveira T, Viana S, Travassos A, Nunes S, Silva C, et al. Disruption of striatal glutamatergic/GABAergic homeostasis following acute methamphetamine in mice. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2012;34:522-9 pubmed publisher..These neurochemical and glial alterations are accompanied by impairment in locomotor activity. ..
- Costa V, Pérez González J, Santos P, Fernández Llario P, Carranza J, Zsolnai A, et al. Microsatellite markers for identification and parentage analysis in the European wild boar (Sus scrofa). BMC Res Notes. 2012;5:479 pubmed publisher..The purpose of the current study is to develop a robust set of microsatellites markers for parentage analyses and individual identification...
- Pascoal S, Esteves de Lima J, Leslie J, Hughes S, Saude L. Notch signalling is required for the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68021 pubmed publisher..We propose that by controlling the differentiation of myogenic progenitor cells, Notch signalling might secure the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in the zebrafish pectoral fin. ..
- Cavacas M, Tavares V, Oliveira M, Oliveira P, Sezinando A, Martins Dos Santos J. Effects of industrial noise on circumpulpar dentin--a field emission scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive spectroscopy analysis. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013;6:2697-702 pubmed
- de Almeida P, Pinheiro G, Nunes A, GonÃ§alves A, ThorsteinsdÃ³ttir S. Fibronectin assembly during early embryo development: A versatile communication system between cells and tissues. Dev Dyn. 2016;245:520-35 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose that it be considered a cell-cell communication event at the same level and significance as growth factor signaling during embryogenesis. ..
- Bettencourt P, Pires D, Anes E. Immunomodulating microRNAs of mycobacterial infections. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2016;97:1-7 pubmed publisher..Understanding these findings and its implications could reveal new opportunities for designing better diagnostic tools, therapies and more effective vaccines. ..
- Pinho D, Besson S, Brondino C, de Castro B, Moura I. Copper-containing nitrite reductase from Pseudomonas chlororaphis DSM 50135. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:2361-9 pubmed..Electrochemical experiments show that azurin from the same organism can donate electrons to this enzyme. ..
- Ferreira A, Alves T, Menezes J. Monitoring complex media fermentations with near-infrared spectroscopy: comparison of different variable selection methods. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2005;91:474-81 pubmed..The two variable selection methods improved the predictive ability of the models up to 20%, relative to the calibration model built using the whole spectra. ..
- Martins T, Montiel R, Medeiros J, Oliveira L, Simoes N. Occurrence and characterization of a nucleopolyhedrovirus from Spodoptera littoralis (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) isolated in the azores. J Invertebr Pathol. 2005;89:185-92 pubmed..littoralis. Genetic distances estimated from restriction enzymes profiles showed SpliMNPV-Az is close to the Egyptian SpliMNPV type B, despite some degree of genetic divergence suggested by slight differences observed on PstI profile. ..
- Sousa S, Ramos C, Almeida F, Meirinhos Soares L, Wopperer J, Schwager S, et al. Burkholderia cenocepacia J2315 acyl carrier protein: a potential target for antimicrobials' development?. Microb Pathog. 2008;45:331-6 pubmed publisher..pseudomallei and B. mallei. ..
- Goncalves H, Martínez Solano I, Pereira R, Carvalho B, García París M, Ferrand N. High levels of population subdivision in a morphologically conserved Mediterranean toad (Alytes cisternasii) result from recent, multiple refugia: evidence from mtDNA, microsatellites and nuclear genealogies. Mol Ecol. 2009;18:5143-60 pubmed publisher
- Cachaço A, Carvalho T, Santos A, Igreja C, Fragoso R, Osório C, et al. TNF-alpha regulates the effects of irradiation in the mouse bone marrow microenvironment. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8980 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data shows that TNF-alpha induction following irradiation modulates BM cell apoptosis and is a crucial event in BM dysfunction, secondary MDS onset and progression. ..
- Branco V, Canário J, Lu J, Holmgren A, Carvalho C. Mercury and selenium interaction in vivo: effects on thioredoxin reductase and glutathione peroxidase. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012;52:781-93 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Se supplementation plays a protective role in a tissue-specific manner and also highlight the importance of TrxR as a main target for mercurials in vivo. ..
- Rato C, Carranza S, Harris D. Evolutionary history of the genus Tarentola (Gekkota: Phyllodactylidae) from the Mediterranean Basin, estimated using multilocus sequence data. BMC Evol Biol. 2012;12:14 pubmed publisher..fascicularis/deserti complex, T. neglecta and T. mindiae is coincident with the uplift of the Atlas Mountain chain, and the establishment of two distinct bioclimatic regions on each side of the barrier. ..
- Duarte Oliveira C, Rodrigues F, GonÃ§alves S, Goldman G, Carvalho A, Cunha C. The Cell Biology of the Trichosporon-Host Interaction. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2017;7:118 pubmed publisher..particularly T. asahii, and their interaction with the host immune system, and accommodate this knowledge within novel perspectives on fungal diagnostics and therapeutics. ..
- Antal A, Alekseichuk I, Bikson M, Brockmoller J, Brunoni A, Chen R, et al. Low intensity transcranial electric stimulation: Safety, ethical, legal regulatory and application guidelines. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:1774-1809 pubmed publisher..These recommendations achieved consensus in a meeting, which took place in Göttingen, Germany, on September 6-7, 2016 and were refined thereafter by email correspondence. ..
- Ribeiro J. Adenosine A2A receptor interactions with receptors for other neurotransmitters and neuromodulators. Eur J Pharmacol. 1999;375:101-13 pubmed
- Cavaco Gonçalves S, Marques C, Horta A, Figueroa J. Increased cervical electrical activity during oestrus in progestagen treated ewes: Possible role in sperm transport. Anim Reprod Sci. 2006;93:360-5 pubmed..Taking advantage of the cervical responsiveness to various drugs, experimental modulation of cervical activity could be used to facilitate cervical sperm transport and consequent improve of fertility after cervical AI. ..
- Waap H, Vilares A, Rebelo E, Gomes S, Angelo H. Epidemiological and genetic characterization of Toxoplasma gondii in urban pigeons from the area of Lisbon (Portugal). Vet Parasitol. 2008;157:306-9 pubmed publisher..No recombinant or atypical genotypes were found. Attempts to recover viable T. gondii strains through bioassay in mice resulted in the isolation of 9 strains. ..
- Santos A, Alexandre N, Sousa R, Nuncio M, Bacellar F, Dumler J. Serological and molecular survey of Anaplasma species infection in dogs with suspected tickborne disease in Portugal. Vet Rec. 2009;164:168-71 pubmed..However, direct amplicon sequencing failed to identify active A phagocytophilum infections, but revealed the presence of Anaplasma platys DNA in the PCR-positive animals. ..
- Aroeira R, Ribeiro J, Sebastião A, Valente C. Age-related changes of glycine receptor at the rat hippocampus: from the embryo to the adult. J Neurochem. 2011;118:339-53 pubmed publisher..We clearly show that GlyR are widely expressed in hippocampus and that their subcellular localization and subunit composition change over development. ..
- Araujo L, Palmares C, Beltrao M, Pereira A, Fonseca J, Moreira A, et al. Validation of total and specific IgE measurements in induced sputum. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2013;23:330-6 pubmed..We aim to validate laboratory measurements of total and specific IgE in induced sputum supernatant and to evaluate the influence of sputum processing with dithiothreitol (DTT) on IgE measurements...
- Costa J, Saraiva N, Guerreiro P, Louro H, Silva M, Miranda J, et al. Ochratoxin A-induced cytotoxicity, genotoxicity and reactive oxygen species in kidney cells: An integrative approach of complementary endpoints. Food Chem Toxicol. 2016;87:65-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that ROS partially contribute to the cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of OTA, although other mechanisms may be relevant in OTA-induced deleterious effects. ..
- Feiteiro J, Verde I, CairrÃ£o E. Cyclic guanosine monophosphate compartmentation in human vascular smooth muscle cells. Cell Signal. 2016;28:109-116 pubmed publisher..Our results show the existence of cGMP compartmentalization in human vascular smooth muscle cells and this phenomenon can open new perspectives concerning the examination of PDE families as therapeutic targets. ..
- Xavier J, Ferreira S, Tavares S, Santos N, Mieiro C, Trathan P, et al. The significance of cephalopod beaks in marine ecology studies: Can we use beaks for DNA analyses and mercury contamination assessment?. Mar Pollut Bull. 2016;103:220-226 pubmed publisher..More research on the relationships of mercury concentrations in cephalopod beaks (and other tissues), intra- and inter-specifically, are needed in the future. ..
- Messias J, Paula J, Grutter A, Bshary R, Soares M. Dopamine disruption increases negotiation for cooperative interactions in a fish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:20817 pubmed publisher..Our results provide first evidence for a prominent role of the dopaminergic system in decision-making in the context of cooperation in fish. ..
- Rivero Segura N, Flores Soto E, García de la Cadena S, Coronado Mares I, Gomez Verjan J, Ferreira D, et al. Prolactin-induced neuroprotection against glutamate excitotoxicity is mediated by the reduction of [Ca2+]i overload and NF-?B activation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176910 pubmed publisher..Overall, the current results suggest that PRL could be of potential therapeutic advantage in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Arez A, Pinto J, Palsson K, Snounou G, Jaenson T, Do Rosario V. Transmission of mixed Plasmodium species and Plasmodium falciparum genotypes. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003;68:161-8 pubmed..falciparum/Plasmodium ovale). Regarding P. falciparum infections, a higher proportion of single-genotype infections and less allele diversity are observed in mosquitoes than in humans. ..
- Duarte A, Hirashima M, Benedito R, Trindade A, Diniz P, Bekman E, et al. Dosage-sensitive requirement for mouse Dll4 in artery development. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2474-8 pubmed..This implicates Dll4 as the specific mammalian endothelial ligand for autocrine endothelial Notch signaling, and suggests that Dll4 may be a suitable target for intervention in arterial angiogenesis. ..
- Caiado F, Carvalho T, Silva F, Castro C, Clode N, Dye J, et al. The role of fibrin E on the modulation of endothelial progenitors adhesion, differentiation and angiogenic growth factor production and the promotion of wound healing. Biomaterials. 2011;32:7096-105 pubmed publisher..We suggest the use of FbnE-based scaffolds represents a promising approach to resolve wound healing complications arising from different pathologies. ..
- Armada A, Gazarini M, Gonçalves L, Antunes S, Custodio A, Rodrigues A, et al. Generation of an antibody that recognizes Plasmodium chabaudi cysteine protease (chabaupain-1) in both sexual and asexual parasite life cycle and evaluation of chabaupain-1 vaccine potential. Exp Parasitol. 2013;135:166-74 pubmed publisher..chabaudi showing that immunization with the recombinant protein confers partial protection to blood stage infection in BALB/c animal model. ..
- Lopes L, Rebola N, Pinheiro P, Richardson P, Oliveira C, Cunha R. Adenosine A3 receptors are located in neurons of the rat hippocampus. Neuroreport. 2003;14:1645-8 pubmed..Western blot analysis showed that A3 receptors are present in rat hippocampal nerve terminal membranes. This indicates that A3 receptors are present in CNS neurons in the hippocampus. ..
- Aires da Silva F, Santa Marta M, Freitas Vieira A, Mascarenhas P, Barahona I, Moniz Pereira J, et al. Camelized rabbit-derived VH single-domain intrabodies against Vif strongly neutralize HIV-1 infectivity. J Mol Biol. 2004;340:525-42 pubmed..The present study strongly suggests that camelization of rabbit VH domains is a potentially useful approach for engineering intrabodies for gene therapy. ..
- Melo Ferreira J, Boursot P, Randi E, Kryukov A, Suchentrunk F, Ferrand N, et al. The rise and fall of the mountain hare (Lepus timidus) during Pleistocene glaciations: expansion and retreat with hybridization in the Iberian Peninsula. Mol Ecol. 2007;16:605-18 pubmed..Whether a similar scenario explains the introgression into Iberian L. europaeus remains unclear but it is possible that it hybridized with already introgressed L. granatensis...
- Pinho C, Harris D, Ferrand N. Non-equilibrium estimates of gene flow inferred from nuclear genealogies suggest that Iberian and North African wall lizards (Podarcis spp.) are an assemblage of incipient species. BMC Evol Biol. 2008;8:63 pubmed publisher..Additionally, this study constitutes a warning against the misuse of equilibrium estimates of migration among recently-diverged groups. ..
- Alves P, Melo Ferreira J, Freitas H, Boursot P. The ubiquitous mountain hare mitochondria: multiple introgressive hybridization in hares, genus Lepus. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2008;363:2831-9 pubmed publisher..Such high levels of introgressive hybridization should discourage attempts to revise hare taxonomy based solely on mtDNA...
- Godinho R, Crespo E, Ferrand N. The limits of mtDNA phylogeography: complex patterns of population history in a highly structured Iberian lizard are only revealed by the use of nuclear markers. Mol Ecol. 2008;17:4670-83 pubmed publisher..Finally, we also suggest that southern European refugia are both hotspots and melting pots of genetic diversity. ..
- Sousa M, Saraiva M. Transthyretin is not expressed by dorsal root ganglia cells. Exp Neurol. 2008;214:362-5 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, TTR deposited in the PNS of FAP patients should still be regarded as having blood and/or CSF origin...
- Jorge P, Marques A, Phillips J. Activational rather than navigational effects of odors on homing of young pigeons. Curr Biol. 2009;19:650-4 pubmed publisher..These findings show that odors, rather than providing navigational information, activate a nonolfactory path integration system. ..
- Passadouro M, Metelo A, MelÃ£o A, Pedro J, Faneca H, Carvalho E, et al. Study of the antidiabetic capacity of the VO(dmpp)2 complex. J Inorg Biochem. 2010;104:987-92 pubmed publisher..Our ex vivo results clearly indicate that V(IV)O(dmpp)(2) is a good candidate to be a promising drug for the treatment of diabetes and other metabolic disorders. ..
- Francisco S, Congiu L, von der Heyden S, Almada V. Multilocus phylogenetic analysis of the genus Atherina (Pisces: Atherinidae). Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2011;61:71-8 pubmed publisher..Sequence divergence values strongly suggest multiple species within the A. boyeri complex. ..
- Ferreira I, Bajouco L, Mota S, Auberson Y, Oliveira C, Rego A. Amyloid beta peptide 1-42 disturbs intracellular calcium homeostasis through activation of GluN2B-containing N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors in cortical cultures. Cell Calcium. 2012;51:95-106 pubmed publisher..This study contributes to the understanding of the molecular basis of early AD pathogenesis, by exploring the role of GluN2A and GluN2B subunits in the mechanism of A? toxicity in AD. ..
- Queiroga C, Tomasi S, Widerøe M, Alves P, Vercelli A, Vieira H. Preconditioning triggered by carbon monoxide (CO) provides neuronal protection following perinatal hypoxia-ischemia. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42632 pubmed publisher..Our results show that CO preconditioning elicits a molecular cascade that limits neuronal apoptosis. This could represent an innovative therapeutic strategy for high-risk cerebral hypoxia-ischemia patients, in particular neonates...
- Franco N, Correia Neves M, Olsson I. Animal welfare in studies on murine tuberculosis: assessing progress over a 12-year period and the need for further improvement. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47723 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study shows that progress has been made in the application of humane endpoints in TB research, but that a considerable potential for improvement remains. ..
- Sheeba C, Andrade R, Palmeirim I. Limb patterning: from signaling gradients to molecular oscillations. J Mol Biol. 2014;426:780-4 pubmed publisher..We propose that the limb clock may allow temporal information to be decoded into positional information when the distance between opposing signaling gradients is no longer sufficient to provide distinct cell fate specification. ..
- Rombo D, Dias R, Duarte S, Ribeiro J, Lamsa K, SebastiÃ£o A. Adenosine A1 Receptor Suppresses Tonic GABAA Receptor Currents in Hippocampal Pyramidal Cells and in a Defined Subpopulation of Interneurons. Cereb Cortex. 2016;26:1081-95 pubmed publisher..We conclude that modulation of tonic GABAAR signaling by adenosine A1R in specific neuron types may regulate neuronal gain and excitability in the hippocampus. ..
- Cardoso M, Costa R, Mano J. Marine Origin Polysaccharides in Drug Delivery Systems. Mar Drugs. 2016;14: pubmed publisher..The devices are designed to achieve a controlled release of therapeutic agents in an attempt to fight against serious diseases, and to be used in advanced therapies, such as gene delivery or regenerative medicine. ..
- Alvarado A, Faustino Rocha A, Ferreira R, Mendes R, Duarte J, Pires M, et al. Prognostic Factors in an Exercised Model of Chemically-induced Mammary Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:2181-8 pubmed..Tumors from the exercised group were less proliferative and more differentiated, suggesting that long-term exercise training had positive effects on mammary carcinogenesis. ..
- Duarte E, Oliveira C, Carvalho A. Thermodynamic analysis of antagonist and agonist interactions with dopamine receptors. Eur J Pharmacol. 1988;147:227-39 pubmed..The results suggest that the interaction of the receptor with the G-proteins, induced or stabilized by the binding of agonist, leads to an increase in entropy and to negative heat capacity changes in the system. ..
- Gales L, Cortes L, Almeida C, Melo C, Costa M, Maciel P, et al. Towards a structural understanding of the fibrillization pathway in Machado-Joseph's disease: trapping early oligomers of non-expanded ataxin-3. J Mol Biol. 2005;353:642-54 pubmed..Thus, they constitute potential targets for therapeutic approaches in Machado-Joseph's disease, as well as valuable diagnostic markers in disease settings. ..
- Garrido S, Rosa R, Ben Hamadou R, Cunha M, Chícharo M, van der Lingen C. Effect of maternal fat reserves on the fatty acid composition of sardine (Sardina pilchardus) oocytes. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;148:398-409 pubmed..Both types of variability may have a significant impact on egg quality, particularly on the amount of reserves available to larvae affecting their resistance to starvation, and the appropriate FA composition required for normal growth. ..
- João Vieira M, Silva E, Oliveira J, Luísa Vieira A, Decaro N, Desario C, et al. Canine parvovirus 2c infection in central Portugal. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2008;20:488-91 pubmed..No CPV-2a was detected. The sensitivity of the ELISA test was 82.76% compared with the PCR assays. No significant associations were found between CPV type, clinical outcome, breed, vaccination status, or age. ..
- Abrantes M, Mil Homens T, Duarte N, Lopes D, Cravo P, Madureira M, et al. Antiplasmodial activity of lignans and extracts from Pycnanthus angolensis. Planta Med. 2008;74:1408-12 pubmed publisher..The lowest IC (50) value was obtained for talaumidin ( 4) (IC (50) = 20.7 microg/mL against the Dd2-chloroquine resistant P. falciparum strain)...
- Mansoor T, Ramalhete C, Molnar J, Mulhovo S, Ferreira M. Tabernines A-C, beta-carbolines from the leaves of Tabernaemontana elegans. J Nat Prod. 2009;72:1147-50 pubmed publisher..Compounds 1-3 were evaluated for their ability to modulate multidrug resistance in mouse lymphoma cell lines. Compounds 1 and 3 exhibited a weak activity. ..
- Fattorini S, Cardoso P, Rigal F, Borges P. Use of arthropod rarity for area prioritisation: insights from the Azorean Islands. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33995 pubmed publisher..This result suggests that protecting marginal non-natural areas which are however reservoirs of vulnerable species may also be important, especially when areas with well preserved primary habitats are scarce...