Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Finland
Publications656 found, 100 shown here
- Mikkola R, Andersson M, Kredics L, Grigoriev P, Sundell N, Salkinoja Salonen M. 20-Residue and 11-residue peptaibols from the fungus Trichoderma longibrachiatum are synergistic in forming Na+/K+ -permeable channels and adverse action towards mammalian cells. FEBS J. 2012;279:4172-90 pubmed publisher..5 and 0.4 ?g·mL(-1) upon extended exposure. This is the first report on ion-channel forming peptaibols with synergistic toxicity from T. longibrachiatum strains isolated from clinical samples. ..
- Sahlgren C, Mikhailov A, Hellman J, Chou Y, Lendahl U, Goldman R, et al. Mitotic reorganization of the intermediate filament protein nestin involves phosphorylation by cdc2 kinase. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:16456-63 pubmed..This study shows that nestin is reorganized during mitosis and that cdc2-mediated phosphorylation is an important regulator of nestin organization and dynamics during mitosis. ..
- Koskimies P, Suvanto M, Nokkala E, Huhtaniemi I, McLuskey A, Themmen A, et al. Female mice carrying a ubiquitin promoter-Insl3 transgene have descended ovaries and inguinal hernias but normal fertility. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2003;206:159-66 pubmed..The lack of a phenotype in other tissues indicates that gubernaculum formation is the most sensitive biological response as regards Insl3. ..
- Koivunen P, Hirsilä M, Gunzler V, Kivirikko K, Myllyharju J. Catalytic properties of the asparaginyl hydroxylase (FIH) in the oxygen sensing pathway are distinct from those of its prolyl 4-hydroxylases. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:9899-904 pubmed..It should therefore be possible to develop specific small molecule inhibitors for the two enzyme classes involved in the hypoxia response. ..
- Alakurtti K, Weber E, Rinne R, Theil G, de Haan G, Lindhout D, et al. Loss of lysosomal association of cystatin B proteins representing progressive myoclonus epilepsy, EPM1, mutations. Eur J Hum Genet. 2005;13:208-15 pubmed..Gln71Pro, fail to associate with lysosomes. These data imply an important lysosome-associated physiological function for CSTB and suggest that loss of this association contributes to the molecular pathogenesis of EPM1. ..
- Nykänen A, Krebs R, Tikkanen J, Raisky O, Sihvola R, Wood J, et al. Combined vascular endothelial growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor inhibition in rat cardiac allografts: beneficial effects on inflammation and smooth muscle cell proliferation. Transplantation. 2005;79:182-9 pubmed..We examined the effect of combined inhibition of proinflammatory vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and SMC mitogen platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) in rat cardiac allografts...
- Domanskyi A, Zhang F, Nurmio M, Palvimo J, Toppari J, Janne O. Expression and localization of androgen receptor-interacting protein-4 in the testis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;292:E513-22 pubmed..Collectively, ARIP4 is an AR coregulator in Sertoli cells in vivo, but the expression in the germ cells implies that it has also AR-independent functions in spermatogenesis. ..
- Zanotto E, Shah Z, Jacobs H. The bidirectional promoter of two genes for the mitochondrial translational apparatus in mouse is regulated by an array of CCAAT boxes interacting with the transcription factor NF-Y. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:664-77 pubmed..The inherently bidirectional activity of NF-Y makes it an especially suitable factor to govern promoters of this class, whose expression is linked to cell proliferation. ..
- Seitsonen J, Susi P, Lemmetty A, Butcher S. Structure of the mite-transmitted Blackcurrant reversion nepovirus using electron cryo-microscopy. Virology. 2008;378:162-8 pubmed publisher..Hence homology modelling may be useful for defining epitopes for antibody generation for diagnostic testing of BRV in commercial crops...
- Vaahtomeri K, Ventelä E, Laajanen K, Katajisto P, Wipff P, Hinz B, et al. Lkb1 is required for TGFbeta-mediated myofibroblast differentiation. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:3531-40 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that tumorigenesis by Lkb1-deficient SM22-positive cells involves defective myogenic differentiation. ..
- Korkalainen M, Kallio E, Olkku A, Nelo K, Ilvesaro J, Tuukkanen J, et al. Dioxins interfere with differentiation of osteoblasts and osteoclasts. Bone. 2009;44:1134-42 pubmed publisher..Disrupting effects in osteoblastic cells, in addition to disturbed osteoclastogenesis, may thus play a role in adverse effects on bone quality in TCDD exposed animals. ..
- Chilov D, Sinjushina N, Rita H, Taketo M, Makela T, Partanen J. Phosphorylated ?-catenin localizes to centrosomes of neuronal progenitors and is required for cell polarity and neurogenesis in developing midbrain. Dev Biol. 2011;357:259-68 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate a novel function for p-?-cat in maintaining neuroepithelial integrity and suggest that centrosomal p-ß-cat is required to maintain symmetric cleavages and polarity in neural progenitors. ..
- Wegelius K, Reeben M, Rivera C, Kaila K, Saarma M, Pasternack M. The rho 1 GABA receptor cloned from rat retina is down-modulated by protons. Neuroreport. 1996;7:2005-9 pubmed..In view of the up-regulatory effect of protons on the GABA current observed in a number of preparations, the rho 1 receptors may contain a novel down-regulatory binding site for protons characteristic to these receptors. ..
- Laukkanen M, Leppanen P, Turunen P, Tuomisto T, Naarala J, Yla Herttuala S. EC-SOD gene therapy reduces paracetamol-induced liver damage in mice. J Gene Med. 2001;3:321-5 pubmed..The results indicate the involvement of superoxide anion in paracetamol-mediated liver damage and suggest a possible protective role for EC-SOD gene transfer in paracetamol-induced liver damage. ..
- Huovinen P. Trimethoprim resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1987;31:1451-6 pubmed
- Fröjdman K, Pelliniemi L. Alpha 6 subunit of integrins in the development and sex differentiation of the mouse ovary. Dev Dyn. 1995;202:397-404 pubmed..The distribution of alpha 6 integrin in ovarian cells shows potentially important sex-specific and developmental differences in epithelial organization when compared with respective changes found earlier by us in the male gonad. ..
- Saharinen P, Ekman N, Sarvas K, Parker P, Alitalo K, Silvennoinen O. The Bmx tyrosine kinase induces activation of the Stat signaling pathway, which is specifically inhibited by protein kinase Cdelta. Blood. 1997;90:4341-53 pubmed..In conclusion, these studies show that Bmx, a Tec family kinase, can function as an activator of the Stat signaling pathway and identify a role for PKCdelta in the regulation of Bmx signaling. ..
- Luukko K, Saarma M, Thesleff I. Neurturin mRNA expression suggests roles in trigeminal innervation of the first branchial arch and in tooth formation. Dev Dyn. 1998;213:207-19 pubmed..In addition, although NTN appears not to be directly involved in the regulation of tooth morphogenesis, it may have non-neuronal, organogenetic functions during tooth formation. ..
- Dunder U, Kaartinen V, Valtonen P, Väänänen E, Kosma V, Heisterkamp N, et al. Enzyme replacement therapy in a mouse model of aspartylglycosaminuria. FASEB J. 2000;14:361-7 pubmed..Dunder, U., Kaartinen, V., Valtonen, P., Väänänen, E., Kosma, V.-M., Heisterkamp, N., Groffen, J., Mononen, I. Enzyme replacement therapy in a mouse model of aspartylglycosaminuria. ..
- Kurittu J, Lönnberg S, Virta M, Karp M. A group-specific microbiological test for the detection of tetracycline residues in raw milk. J Agric Food Chem. 2000;48:3372-7 pubmed..Nontetracycline antibiotics did not significantly interfere with the detection of tetracyclines. ..
- Lin Y, Zhang S, Rehn M, Itäranta P, Tuukkanen J, Heljasvaara R, et al. Induced repatterning of type XVIII collagen expression in ureter bud from kidney to lung type: association with sonic hedgehog and ectopic surfactant protein C. Development. 2001;128:1573-85 pubmed..Our data suggest that differential organ morphogenesis is regulated by an intra-organ patterning process that involves coordination between inductive signals and matrix molecules, such as type XVIII collagen. ..
- Nykanen P, Alastalo T, Ahlskog J, Horelli Kuitunen N, Pirkkala L, Sistonen L. Genomic organization and promoter analysis of the human heat shock factor 2 gene. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2001;6:377-85 pubmed..A comparison between human hsf2 gene and other hsf genes showed striking similarities in exon size. However, the exons are assembled in an hsf-specific manner. ..
- Helin E, Vainionpaa R, Hyypia T, Julkunen I, Matikainen S. Measles virus activates NF-kappa B and STAT transcription factors and production of IFN-alpha/beta and IL-6 in the human lung epithelial cell line A549. Virology. 2001;290:1-10 pubmed
- Hänninen M, Sarelli L, Sukura A, On S, Harrington C, Matero P, et al. Campylobacter hyointestinalis subsp. hyointestinalis, a common Campylobacter species in reindeer. J Appl Microbiol. 2002;92:717-23 pubmed..In addition, to study the genetic diversity of Camp. hyointestinalis subsp. hyointestinalis reindeer isolates by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE)...
- Pirilä E, Parikka M, Ramamurthy N, Maisi P, McClain S, Kucine A, et al. Chemically modified tetracycline (CMT-8) and estrogen promote wound healing in ovariectomized rats: effects on matrix metalloproteinase-2, membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase, and laminin-5 gamma2-chain. Wound Repair Regen. 2002;10:38-51 pubmed..e., laminin-5 gamma2-chain. This study shows, for the first time, the role of estrogen and CMT-8 in laminin-5 gamma2-chain modulation in vivo. ..
- Laukkarinen J, Sand J, Aittomaki S, Porsti I, Koobi P, Kalliovalkama J, et al. Mechanism of the prorelaxing effect of thyroxine on the sphincter of Oddi. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2002;37:667-73 pubmed..Previously, we have shown increased prevalence of hypothyroidism in CBDS patients...
- Pirttilä T, Lukasiuk K, Hakansson K, Grubb A, Abrahamson M, Pitkanen A. Cystatin C modulates neurodegeneration and neurogenesis following status epilepticus in mouse. Neurobiol Dis. 2005;20:241-53 pubmed..These data demonstrate that cystatin C has a role in neuronal death and neurogenesis during SE-induced network reorganization. ..
- Nummela P, Yin M, Kielosto M, Leaner V, Birrer M, Hölttä E. Thymosin beta4 is a determinant of the transformed phenotype and invasiveness of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase-transfected fibroblasts. Cancer Res. 2006;66:701-12 pubmed..These data encourage testing latrunculin A-like and other agents interfering with thymosin beta4 for treatment of thymosin beta4-overexpressing tumors with high invasive and metastatic potential. ..
- Ruotsalainen H, Sipilä L, Vapola M, Sormunen R, Salo A, Uitto L, et al. Glycosylation catalyzed by lysyl hydroxylase 3 is essential for basement membranes. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:625-35 pubmed..Together our results demonstrate for the first time the importance of hydroxylysine-linked glycosylation for collagens. ..
- Marttinen P, Raulo S, Suominen M, Tulamo R. Changes in MMP-2 and -9 activity and MMP-8 reactivity after amphotericin B induced synovitis and treatment with bufexamac. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2006;53:311-8 pubmed..Furthermore, analysing levels of MMP-9 activity and especially levels of active forms of MMP-2 activity may be valuable to predict the time of occurrence of arthritis in horses...
- Puurtinen M, Emily Knott K, Suonpää S, Nissinen K, Kaitala V. Predominance of outcrossing in Lymnaea stagnalis despite low apparent fitness costs of self-fertilization. J Evol Biol. 2007;20:901-12 pubmed
- Jokela T, Jauhiainen M, Auriola S, Kauhanen M, Tiihonen R, Tammi M, et al. Mannose inhibits hyaluronan synthesis by down-regulation of the cellular pool of UDP-N-acetylhexosamines. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:7666-73 pubmed publisher..Mannose is a potentially useful tool in studies on hyaluronan-dependent cell functions, as demonstrated by reduced rates of keratinocyte proliferation and migration, functions known to depend on hyaluronan synthesis. ..
- Papponen H, Kaisto T, Leinonen S, Kaakinen M, Metsikkö K. Evidence for gamma-actin as a Z disc component in skeletal myofibers. Exp Cell Res. 2009;315:218-25 pubmed publisher..The results emphasize the role of gamma-actin as a Z disc component but fail to reveal an actin-based sub-sarcolemmal cytoskeleton in skeletal muscle cells. ..
- Wigren H, Porkka Heiskanen T. Inducible nitric oxide synthase and AMP-activated protein kinase in basal forebrain during prolonged waking. Neuroreport. 2009;20:97-101 pubmed publisher..In contrast, no changes were found in the cortex. These results further support the hypothesis that basal forebrain, as compared to cortex, is selectively sensitive to the effects of prolonged waking. ..
- Eronen J, Ataabadi M, Micheels A, Karme A, Bernor R, Fortelius M. Distribution history and climatic controls of the Late Miocene Pikermian chronofauna. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:11867-71 pubmed publisher..Its demise at the Miocene-Pliocene boundary coincides with an environmental reversal toward increased humidity and forestation, changes inevitably detrimental to open-adapted, wide-ranging large mammals. ..
- Moks K, Tilgar V, Thomson R, Calhim S, Järvistö P, Schuett W, et al. Predator encounters have spatially extensive impacts on parental behaviour in a breeding bird community. Proc Biol Sci. 2016;283:20160020 pubmed publisher..Information about predators is probably quickly spread by cues such as intra- and heterospecific alarm calls, in communities of different taxa. ..
- Kroger L, Katila M, Korppi M, Pietikäinen M. Skin test reactivity to atypical mycobacteria among healthy Finnish preschool children vaccinated with BCG vaccine at birth. Acta Paediatr. 1992;81:891-5 pubmed..The diagnostic value of sensitin reactions in preschool children needs to be elaborated in clinical studies in children with clinically demonstrable mycobacteriosis. ..
- Venesmaa P, Ylikorkala O. Subrenal capsule assay in selection of chemotherapy after operation for recurrent ovarian cancer. Br J Cancer. 1991;63:84-6 pubmed..Our conclusion is that the SRCA is of limited value in the selection of second-line chemotherapy in recurrent ovarian cancer. ..
- Palvimo J, Reinikainen P, Ikonen T, Kallio P, Moilanen A, Janne O. Mutual transcriptional interference between RelA and androgen receptor. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:24151-6 pubmed..Collectively, these data suggest that the mutual repression in intact cells is due to formation of AR-RelA complexes that are held together by another partner or to competition for a coactivator required for transcription. ..
- Thesleff I, Aberg T. Tooth morphogenesis and the differentiation of ameloblasts. Ciba Found Symp. 1997;205:3-12; discussion 12-7 pubmed..However, the molecular nature of the signals regulating the advancing specialization of the cells in the ameloblast cell lineage remains unknown...
- Mykkänen J, Torrents D, Pineda M, Camps M, Yoldi M, Horelli Kuitunen N, et al. Functional analysis of novel mutations in y(+)LAT-1 amino acid transporter gene causing lysinuric protein intolerance (LPI). Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:431-8 pubmed..This finding, together with the strong degree of conservation among all members of this family of amino acid transporters, indicates that residues L334 and G54 play a crucial role in the function of the y(+)LAT-1 transporter. ..
- Kalmari J, Niissalo S, Konttinen Y, Pertovaara A. Modulation of visceral nociceptive responses of rat spinal dorsal horn neurons by sympathectomy. Neuroreport. 2001;12:797-801 pubmed
- Lyra C, Suomalainen S, Gugger M, Vezie C, Sundman P, Paulin L, et al. Molecular characterization of planktic cyanobacteria of Anabaena, Aphanizomenon, Microcystis and Planktothrix genera. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2001;51:513-26 pubmed..The three other clades contained (ii) filamentous non-heterocystous Planktothrix, (iii) unicellular non-heterocystous Microcystis and (iv) Synechococcus strains. ..
- Band A, Maatta J, Kaariainen L, Kuismanen E. Inhibition of the membrane fusion machinery prevents exit from the TGN and proteolytic processing by furin. FEBS Lett. 2001;505:118-24 pubmed..The results support the conclusion that inhibition of membrane fusion arrests p62 in the TGN and prevents its processing by furin. ..
- Haataja R, Hallman M. Surfactant proteins as genetic determinants of multifactorial pulmonary diseases. Ann Med. 2002;34:324-33 pubmed
- Lehesjoki A. Molecular background of progressive myoclonus epilepsy. EMBO J. 2003;22:3473-8 pubmed..Although significant advances towards understanding the molecular basis of Unverricht-Lundborg disease have been achieved, the physiological function of CSTB and the molecular pathogenesis of the disease remain unknown. ..
- Kilpimaa J, Alatalo R, Siitari H. Trade-offs between sexual advertisement and immune function in the pied flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca). Proc Biol Sci. 2004;271:245-50 pubmed
- Kumar V, Heikkonen J, Engelhardt P, Kaski K. Robust filtering and particle picking in micrograph images towards 3D reconstruction of purified proteins with cryo-electron microscopy. J Struct Biol. 2004;145:41-51 pubmed..We have also suggested a filtering method to increase the signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio which has proved to be useful for other levels of reconstruction, i.e., finding orientations and 3D model reconstruction...
- Aberg T, Rice R, Rice D, Thesleff I, Waltimo Siren J. Chondrogenic potential of mouse calvarial mesenchyme. J Histochem Cytochem. 2005;53:653-63 pubmed..Only cartilage formed in 4%, and both cartilage and bone formed in 4%. Our study confirms that calvarial mesenchyme, which normally gives rise to intramembranous bone, also has chondrogenic potential. ..
- Hallikas O, Palin K, Sinjushina N, Rautiainen R, Partanen J, Ukkonen E, et al. Genome-wide prediction of mammalian enhancers based on analysis of transcription-factor binding affinity. Cell. 2006;124:47-59 pubmed
- Helle S, Helama S. Climatic variability and the population dynamics of historical hunter-gatherers: the case of Sami of Northern Finland. Am J Hum Biol. 2007;19:844-53 pubmed
- Karpanen T, Alitalo K. Molecular biology and pathology of lymphangiogenesis. Annu Rev Pathol. 2008;3:367-97 pubmed
- Sundvall M, Korhonen A, Paatero I, Gaudio E, Melino G, Croce C, et al. Isoform-specific monoubiquitination, endocytosis, and degradation of alternatively spliced ErbB4 isoforms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:4162-7 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that ErbB4 isoforms differ in endocytosis and degradation by a mechanism mediated by CYT-1-specific PPXY motif interacting with a WW domain-containing E3 ubiquitin ligase. ..
- Jyrkkänen H, Kansanen E, Inkala M, Kivelä A, Hurttila H, Heinonen S, et al. Nrf2 regulates antioxidant gene expression evoked by oxidized phospholipids in endothelial cells and murine arteries in vivo. Circ Res. 2008;103:e1-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the activation of Nrf2 by oxidized phospholipids provides a mechanism by which their deleterious effects are limited in the vasculature. ..
- Mijatovic J, Piltonen M, Alberton P, Mannisto P, Saarma M, Piepponen T. Constitutive Ret signaling is protective for dopaminergic cell bodies but not for axonal terminals. Neurobiol Aging. 2011;32:1486-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that activated Ret protects DA cell bodies in the substantia nigra pars compacta, but does not protect DA axons in the striatum. ..
- Nurminen E, Pihlavisto M, Lázár L, Szakonyi Z, Pentikäinen U, Fulop F, et al. Synthesis, in vitro activity, and three-dimensional quantitative structure-activity relationship of novel hydrazine inhibitors of human vascular adhesion protein-1. J Med Chem. 2010;53:6301-15 pubmed publisher..636; r(2): 0.828) and MAOs (q(2)(LOO): 0.749, r(2): 0.840) were built and employed in the development of selective VAP-1 inhibitors. ..
- Hellman M, Arumae U, Yu L, Lindholm P, Peranen J, Saarma M, et al. Mesencephalic astrocyte-derived neurotrophic factor (MANF) has a unique mechanism to rescue apoptotic neurons. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:2675-80 pubmed publisher..Cellular studies confirm that MANF and C-MANF protect neurons intracellularly as efficiently as Ku70. ..
- Kunttu H, Valtonen E, Jokinen E, Suomalainen L. Saprophytism of a fish pathogen as a transmission strategy. Epidemics. 2009;1:96-100 pubmed publisher..columnare. Our findings also suggest that F. columnare may be able to persist in the rearing environment during antibiotic treatments of the living fish...
- Sironen A, Kotaja N, Mulhern H, Wyatt T, Sisson J, Pavlik J, et al. Loss of SPEF2 function in mice results in spermatogenesis defects and primary ciliary dyskinesia. Biol Reprod. 2011;85:690-701 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the data in this study demonstrate that SPEF2 is required for cilia function and identify a new genetic cause of PCD in mice...
- Nielsen T, Jensen B, Purup S, Jackson S, Saarinen M, Lyra A, et al. A search for synbiotics: effects of enzymatically modified arabinoxylan and Butyrivibrio fibrisolvens on short-chain fatty acids in the cecum content and plasma of rats. Food Funct. 2016;7:1839-48 pubmed publisher..The number of B. fibrisolvens did not increase significantly in cecal content following administration of the bacteria. Furthermore, there was no interaction between the EAXD and B. fibrisolvens on the measured parameters. ..
- Mills E, Kelly B, Logan A, Costa A, Varma M, Bryant C, et al. Succinate Dehydrogenase Supports Metabolic Repurposing of Mitochondria to Drive Inflammatory Macrophages. Cell. 2016;167:457-470.e13 pubmed publisher..The metabolic alterations that occur upon activation of macrophages therefore repurpose mitochondria from ATP synthesis to ROS production in order to promote a pro-inflammatory state. ..
- Kolmer M, Pelto Huikko M, Parvinen M, Hoog C, Alho H. The transcriptional and translational control of diazepam binding inhibitor expression in rat male germ-line cells. DNA Cell Biol. 1997;16:59-72 pubmed..The biological function of DBI in spermatozoa could thus be related to the motility function of sperm. ..
- Wiklund T, Dalsgaard I. Occurrence and significance of atypical Aeromonas salmonicida in non-salmonid and salmonid fish species: a review. Dis Aquat Organ. 1998;32:49-69 pubmed..Resistance to different antibiotics and transferable plasmid encoding multiple drug resistance have been observed in atpical A. salmonicida. Studies aimed at producing a vaccine against atypical strains are in progress. ..
- Arbatova J, Lehto K, Pehu E, Pehu T. Localization of the P1 protein of potato Y potyvirus in association with cytoplasmic inclusion bodies and in the cytoplasm of infected cells. J Gen Virol. 1998;79 ( Pt 10):2319-23 pubmed..No significant P1 antibody binding with other plant cell organelles, or with the cell wall and plasmodesmata, was detected by immunogold labelling. ..
- Leinonen J, Kivela J, Parkkila S, Parkkila A, Rajaniemi H. Salivary carbonic anhydrase isoenzyme VI is located in the human enamel pellicle. Caries Res. 1999;33:185-90 pubmed..The presence of active CA VI in the human enamel pellicle suggests that it may accelerate the removal of acid by functioning locally in the pellicle layer on dental surfaces. ..
- Savikko J, Kallio E, Taskinen E, von Willebrand E. The effect of acute rejection and cyclosporin A-treatment on induction of platelet-derived growth factor and its receptors during the development of chronic rat renal allograft rejection. Transplantation. 2002;73:506-11 pubmed
- Lohi H, Lamprecht G, Markovich D, Heil A, Kujala M, Seidler U, et al. Isoforms of SLC26A6 mediate anion transport and have functional PDZ interaction domains. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;284:C769-79 pubmed..Our results support the general concept of microdomain organization for ion transport and suggest a mechanism for cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulator (CFTR)-mediated SLC26A6 upregulation in pancreatic duct cells. ..
- Trokovic R, Trokovic N, Hernesniemi S, Pirvola U, Vogt Weisenhorn D, Rossant J, et al. FGFR1 is independently required in both developing mid- and hindbrain for sustained response to isthmic signals. EMBO J. 2003;22:1811-23 pubmed..In addition, FGFR1 appears to modify cell adhesion properties critical for maintaining a coherent organizing center. This may be achieved by regulating expression of specific cell-adhesion molecules at the midbrain-hindbrain border. ..
- Mäkinen J, Reinisalo M, Niemi K, Viitala P, Jyrkkärinne J, Chung H, et al. Dual action of oestrogens on the mouse constitutive androstane receptor. Biochem J. 2003;376:465-72 pubmed..These findings offer an alternative explanation for the recently suggested nuclear activation step of mCAR. ..
- Majak K, Pitkanen A. Activation of the amygdalo-entorhinal pathway in fear-conditioning in rat. Eur J Neurosci. 2003;18:1652-9 pubmed..These data support the idea that emotionally relevant sensory information in the lateral nucleus can influence information processing in the hippocampal and parahippocampal areas via the amygdalo-entorhinal pathway. ..
- Savolainen K, Kotti T, Schmitz W, Savolainen T, Sormunen R, Ilves M, et al. A mouse model for alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase deficiency: adjustment of bile acid synthesis and intolerance to dietary methyl-branched lipids. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:955-65 pubmed..Based upon our mouse model, we propose elimination of phytol from the diet of patients suffering from Amacr deficiency. ..
- Alakuijala A, Palgi M, Wegelius K, Schmidt M, Enz R, Paulin L, et al. GABA receptor rho subunit expression in the developing rat brain. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2005;154:15-23 pubmed..From the selective distribution of rho subunits, it may be hypothesized that GABA(C) receptors are specifically involved in aspects of visual image motion processing in the rat brain. ..
- Palomäki V, Laitinen J. The basic secretagogue compound 48/80 activates G proteins indirectly via stimulation of phospholipase D-lysophosphatidic acid receptor axis and 5-HT1A receptors in rat brain sections. Br J Pharmacol. 2006;147:596-606 pubmed..This property may also contribute to the compound's ability to release histamine from mast cells...
- Nyman Huttunen H, Tian L, Ning L, Gahmberg C. alpha-Actinin-dependent cytoskeletal anchorage is important for ICAM-5-mediated neuritic outgrowth. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:3057-66 pubmed
- Andressoo J, Hoeijmakers J, Mitchell J. Nucleotide excision repair disorders and the balance between cancer and aging. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:2886-8 pubmed..In this review, we will discuss the connection between genome maintenance, aging and cancer in light of a new mouse model of XPD disease. ..
- Lantto R, Puolanne E, Kruus K, Buchert J, Autio K. Tyrosinase-aided protein cross-linking: effects on gel formation of chicken breast myofibrils and texture and water-holding of chicken breast meat homogenate gels. J Agric Food Chem. 2007;55:1248-55 pubmed..Chicken myofibrillar proteins; protein modification; cross-linking; tyrosinase; gelation; thermal stability; texture; water-holding capacity; microstructure. ..
- Saramäki O, Harjula A, Martikainen P, Vessella R, Tammela T, Visakorpi T. TMPRSS2:ERG fusion identifies a subgroup of prostate cancers with a favorable prognosis. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:3395-400 pubmed publisher..The TMPRSS2:ERG rearrangement can be found in about one third of prostate cancers. A subgroup of prostate cancer patients with a good prognosis may be identified by the rearrangement. ..
- Lehto M, Savinko T, Wolff H, Kvist P, Kemp K, Lauerma A, et al. A murine model of epicutaneous protein sensitization is useful to study efficacies of topical drugs in atopic dermatitis. Int Immunopharmacol. 2010;10:377-84 pubmed publisher..All these drugs can ameliorate cutaneous inflammation, although the degree of recovery depends on the type of the drug. In summary, our results show that this mouse model can be used to test new topical treatments for AD. ..
- Himanen S, Blande J, Klemola T, Pulkkinen J, Heijari J, Holopainen J. Birch (Betula spp.) leaves adsorb and re-release volatiles specific to neighbouring plants--a mechanism for associational herbivore resistance?. New Phytol. 2010;186:722-32 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that plant/tree species may be protected by semi-volatile compounds emitted by a more herbivore-resistant heterospecific neighbour...
- Jaaskelainen A, Sironen T, Murueva G, Subbotina N, Alekseev A, Castrén J, et al. Tick-borne encephalitis virus in ticks in Finland, Russian Karelia and Buryatia. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:2706-12 pubmed publisher..TBEV E and NS3 gene sequences obtained showed a variability of 0-4?% within European-subtype strains, 2-9?% for Siberian-subtype strains and 3-13?% for Far Eastern-subtype strains. ..
- Kortelainen J, Silfverhuth M, Suominen K, Sonkajarvi E, Alahuhta S, Jantti V, et al. Automatic classification of penicillin-induced epileptic EEG spikes. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2010;2010:6674-7 pubmed publisher..The study offers potential for future research by providing a method to objectively and quantitatively analyze the time sequence of interictal epileptic activity. ..
- Friman V, Laakso J. Pulsed-resource dynamics constrain the evolution of predator-prey interactions. Am Nat. 2011;177:334-45 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that rapid evolution plays a smaller role in the ecological dynamics of communities dominated by resource pulses...
- Heikkilä A, Peippo J. Optimal utilization of modern reproductive technologies to maximize the gross margin of milk production. Anim Reprod Sci. 2012;132:129-38 pubmed publisher..This single-year linear programming model adequately differentiates between breeding technologies within a herd, but further research is needed to develop dynamic models to consider genetic improvement and herd expansion. ..
- Ã–st M, Jaatinen K. Relative importance of social status and physiological need in determining leadership in a social forager. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64778 pubmed publisher..These results confirm recent theoretical work suggesting that 'leading according to need' is an evolutionary viable strategy regardless of group heterogeneity or underlying dominance structure. ..
- Hänninen A, Taylor C, Streeter P, Stark L, Sarte J, Shizuru J, et al. Vascular addressins are induced on islet vessels during insulitis in nonobese diabetic mice and are involved in lymphoid cell binding to islet endothelium. J Clin Invest. 1993;92:2509-15 pubmed..This suggests that these adhesion molecules play a role in the pathogenesis of diabetes in these mice by being involved in the migration of lymphocytes from blood into the inflamed pancreas. ..