Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Denmark
Publications1157 found, 100 shown here
- Bertelsen M, Østergaard K, Monrad J, Brøndum E, Baandrup U. Monodontella giraffae infection in wild-caught southern giraffes (Giraffa camelopardalis giraffa). J Wildl Dis. 2009;45:1227-30 pubmed..Based on these findings, it is suggested that the nematode M. giraffae may not be an unusual parasite of the giraffe and that it does not necessarily cause detrimental liver disease. ..
- Palmer D, Christensen A, Sørensen J, Celik L, Qvist K, Schiøtt B. Bovine chymosin: a computational study of recognition and binding of bovine kappa-casein. Biochemistry. 2010;49:2563-73 pubmed publisher..The catalytic site (including the catalytic water molecule) is stable in the starting conformation of the previously proposed general acid/base catalytic mechanism for 18 ns of molecular dynamics simulations. ..
- Ersbøll A, Ersbøll B, Houe H, Alban L, Kjeldsen A. Spatial modelling of the between-herd infection dynamics of bovine virus diarrhoea virus (BVDV) in dairy herds in Denmark. Prev Vet Med. 2010;97:83-9 pubmed publisher..37, 1.40, 1.70 for 1, 2, ?3 PI-herds in the neighbourhood). Increasing herd size increased the risk of becoming a PI-herd (OR=3.9 for an increase of 10 cows). Regional differences were seen. ..
- Vijgen J, Abhilash P, Li Y, Lal R, Forter M, Torres J, et al. Hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) as new Stockholm Convention POPs--a global perspective on the management of Lindane and its waste isomers. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2011;18:152-62 pubmed publisher..As parties to the Stockholm Convention are legally required to take action to stop further POPs pollution, identification and evaluation of such sites are necessary. ..
- Kristensen C, Baadsgaard N, Toft N. A meta-analysis comparing the effect of PCV2 vaccines on average daily weight gain and mortality rate in pigs from weaning to slaughter. Prev Vet Med. 2011;98:250-8 pubmed publisher..4%) and nursery-finishing pigs (5.4%), but not for nursery pigs (0.25%). Herds negative for PRRS had a significantly larger increase in ADG compared to herds positive for PRRS. The PRRS status had no effect on mortality rate. ..
- Owczarek S, Soroka V, Kiryushko D, Larsen M, Yuan Q, Sandi C, et al. Neuroplastin-65 and a mimetic peptide derived from its homophilic binding site modulate neuritogenesis and neuronal plasticity. J Neurochem. 2011;117:984-94 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that interference with Np65 homophilic binding by enplastin has an inhibitory effect on Np65-mediated neurite outgrowth in vitro and on the initial phase of spatial learning in rats. ..
- Norin T, Malte H. Repeatability of standard metabolic rate, active metabolic rate and aerobic scope in young brown trout during a period of moderate food availability. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:1668-75 pubmed publisher..We suggest that this gradual decline in repeatability was due to the slightly restricted feeding regime. This is discussed in the context of phenotypic plasticity, natural selection and ecology...
- Boysen L, Vigre H, Rosenquist H. Seasonal influence on the prevalence of thermotolerant Campylobacter in retail broiler meat in Denmark. Food Microbiol. 2011;28:1028-32 pubmed publisher..However, besides flock prevalence, there was also a direct effect of season on the occurrence of Campylobacter in Danish broiler meat at retail. ..
- Sasso L, Vazquez P, Vedarethinam I, Castillo Leon J, Emneus J, Svendsen W. Conducting polymer 3D microelectrodes. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:10986-1000 pubmed publisher..PC12 cells were finally cultured on the investigated materials as a preliminary biocompatibility assessment. These results show that the described electrodes are possibly suitable for future in-vitro neurological measurements. ..
- Larsen M, Fretté X, Kristensen T, Eriksen J, Søegaard K, Nielsen J. Fatty acid, tocopherol and carotenoid content in herbage and milk affected by sward composition and season of grazing. J Sci Food Agric. 2012;92:2891-8 pubmed publisher..Thus any of these herbages could be used in production of such differentiated milk based on a large proportion of grazing in the ration. ..
- Engelund A, Fahrenkrug J, Harrison A, Luuk H, Hannibal J. Altered pupillary light reflex in PACAP receptor 1-deficient mice. Brain Res. 2012;1453:17-25 pubmed publisher..Our findings accord well with observations of the PLR in the melanopsin-deficient mouse. We conclude that PACAP/PAC1R signaling is involved in the sustained phase of the PLR at high irradiances. ..
- Dalgas C, Povlsen J, Løfgren B, Erichsen S, Bøtker H. Effects of fatty acids on cardioprotection by pre-ischaemic inhibition of the malate-aspartate shuttle. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2012;39:878-85 pubmed publisher..Transient MAS shutdown may be involved in IPC, but is not sufficient on its own as the underlying mechanism for IPC. ..
- Hansen M, Met O, Svane I, Andersen M. Cellular based cancer vaccines: type 1 polarization of dendritic cells. Curr Med Chem. 2012;19:4239-46 pubmed..In the current review, we discuss optimal design of DC maturation focused on pre-clinical as well as clinical results from standard and polarized dendritic cell based cancer vaccines. ..
- Bechsgaard J, Vanthournout B, Funch P, Vestbo S, Gibbs R, Richards S, et al. Comparative genomic study of arachnid immune systems indicates loss of beta-1,3-glucanase-related proteins and the immune deficiency pathway. J Evol Biol. 2016;29:277-91 pubmed publisher..The gel-forming protein in horseshoe crabs, coagulogen, was not recovered in any of the arachnid genomes; however, it is possible that the arachnid clot consists of a related protein, spätzle, that is present in all of the genomes. ..
- Rudling E, Schlamowitz S, Pipper C, Nilsson E, HÃ¶llmer M, Willesen J, et al. The prevalence of the electrocardiographic J wave in the Petit Basset Griffon VendÃ©en compared to 10 different dog breeds. J Vet Cardiol. 2016;18:26-33 pubmed publisher..However J waves were also seen in other breeds. Therefore, J waves may be considered a normal variant on the canine electrocardiogram and should not be interpreted as cardiac disease. ..
- Filogonio R, Alcantara Costa Leite C, Wang T. Vascular distensibilities have minor effects on intracardiac shunt patterns in reptiles. Zoology (Jena). 2017;122:46-51 pubmed publisher..We speculate that the lack of correlation in these phylogenetically distant species may indicate that this is a common trend within non-crocodilian reptiles. ..
- Andersen M, Nørgaard Pedersen D, Brandt J, Pettersson I, Slaaby R. IGF1 and IGF2 specificities to the two insulin receptor isoforms are determined by insulin receptor amino acid 718. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178885 pubmed publisher..It should be emphasized that none of the mutations affected insulin affinity, indicating that the mutations did not alter the overall receptor structure and that the effect is ligand specific. ..
- Bruhn J, Gram L, Belas R. Production of antibacterial compounds and biofilm formation by Roseobacter species are influenced by culture conditions. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:442-50 pubmed
- Zaar M, Secher N, Johansson P, Vainer B, Ezban M, Agersø H, et al. Effects of a recombinant FVIIa analogue, NN1731, on blood loss and survival after liver trauma in the pig. Br J Anaesth. 2009;103:840-7 pubmed publisher..v. administration of NN1731 reduced the bleeding and increased the survival time. In contrast, i.m. administration had no effect, presumably because reduced muscle perfusion during haemorrhage reduced the uptake of NN1731. ..
- Zeuthen L, Fink L, Metzdorff S, Kristensen M, Licht T, Nellemann C, et al. Lactobacillus acidophilus induces a slow but more sustained chemokine and cytokine response in naïve foetal enterocytes compared to commensal Escherichia coli. BMC Immunol. 2010;11:2 pubmed publisher..Facultative anaerobic bacteria are the first to colonise the infant gut, and the impact of these bacteria on intestinal epithelial cells (IEC) may be determinant for how the immune system subsequently tolerates gut bacteria...
- Vojvodic S, Jensen A, James R, Boomsma J, Eilenberg J. Temperature dependent virulence of obligate and facultative fungal pathogens of honeybee brood. Vet Microbiol. 2011;149:200-5 pubmed publisher..These results raise interesting questions about honeybee defenses against obligate and facultative pathogens and about the extent to which stress factors in the host (dis)favor pathogens with lesser degrees of specialization...
- Carlsen I, Nilsson L, Frøkiaer J, Nørregaard R. Changes in phosphorylated heat-shock protein 27 in response to acute ureteral obstruction in rats. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2013;209:167-78 pubmed publisher..This may affect the ability of renal cells to mount an effective cytoprotective response. ..
- Zini E, Ferro S, Lunardi F, Zanetti R, Heller R, Coppola L, et al. Exocrine Pancreas in Cats With Diabetes Mellitus. Vet Pathol. 2016;53:145-52 pubmed publisher..Augmented PCNA-positive acinar cells might indicate increased proliferation due to chronic pancreatitis. The reason behind the prevalent proliferation of acinar cells surrounding pancreatic islets deserves further investigation. ..
- Badawi J, Bosch R, Djurhuus J, Hanna Mitchell A. Is testosterone important in LUT function in men and women? ICI-RS 2015. Neurourol Urodyn. 2017;36:859-862 pubmed publisher..Neurourol. Urodynam. 36:859-862, 2017. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Ernstsen C, Login F, Jensen H, Nørregaard R, Møller Jensen J, Nejsum L. Detection and quantification of intracellular bacterial colonies by automated, high-throughput microscopy. J Microbiol Methods. 2017;139:37-44 pubmed publisher..This will be a powerful experimental tool facilitating the study of bacterial invasion, drug resistance, and the development of new therapeutics. ..
- Johnsen A, Rehfeld J. Cionin: a disulfotyrosyl hybrid of cholecystokinin and gastrin from the neural ganglion of the protochordate Ciona intestinalis. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:3054-8 pubmed..We conclude that the structure of the peptide, named cionin, suits that of a common ancestor for cholecystokinin and gastrin. ..
- Nykjaer A, Fyfe J, Kozyraki R, Leheste J, Jacobsen C, Nielsen M, et al. Cubilin dysfunction causes abnormal metabolism of the steroid hormone 25(OH) vitamin D(3). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:13895-900 pubmed..This observation identifies spontaneous mutations in an endocytic receptor pathway affecting cellular uptake and metabolism of a steroid hormone. ..
- Olsen C, Wagtmann N. Identification and characterization of human DPP9, a novel homologue of dipeptidyl peptidase IV. Gene. 2002;299:185-93 pubmed..A DPP9 orthologue in mice was identified by expressed sequence tag database searches and verified by cDNA cloning. ..
- Jeppesen P, Gregersen S, Rolfsen S, Jepsen M, Colombo M, Agger A, et al. Antihyperglycemic and blood pressure-reducing effects of stevioside in the diabetic Goto-Kakizaki rat. Metabolism. 2003;52:372-8 pubmed
- Jensen V, Jacobsen E, Bager F. Veterinary antimicrobial-usage statistics based on standardized measures of dosage. Prev Vet Med. 2004;64:201-15 pubmed..The ADD also is used in pharmaco-epidemiogical research and to assist in the interpretation of resistance-surveillance data. ..
- Khorooshi R, Helwig M, Werckenthin A, Steinberg N, Klingenspor M. Seasonal regulation of cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript in the arcuate nucleus of Djungarian hamster (Phodopus sungorus). Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2008;157:142-7 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that photoperiod and ambient temperature influence energy metabolism potentially by alterations of the CART neuronal system in the rostral portion of the ARC in Djungarian hamsters. ..
- Fobian K, Owczarek S, Budtz C, Bock E, Berezin V, Pedersen M. Peptides derived from the solvent-exposed loops 3 and 4 of BDNF bind TrkB and p75(NTR) receptors and stimulate neurite outgrowth and survival. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:1170-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, two peptides derived from BDNF induced neurite outgrowth and enhanced neuronal survival, probably through binding to BDNF receptors. ..
- Larsen C, Larsen S, Jensen H, Yaghmur A, Ostergaard J. Role of in vitro release models in formulation development and quality control of parenteral depots. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2009;6:1283-95 pubmed publisher..Their utility for the purpose of quality control including in vitro-in vivo correlations and formulation design is discussed. ..
- Bering S, Bai S, Zhang K, Sangild P. Prematurity does not markedly affect intestinal sensitivity to endotoxins and feeding in pigs. Br J Nutr. 2012;108:672-81 pubmed publisher..Nutrient maldigestion may contribute to NEC development, while a prematurity-related hyper-responsiveness to endotoxins could be less important, at least in pigs. ..
- Rom H, Zhang G. Time delay for aerial ammonia concentration measurements in livestock buildings. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:4634-42 pubmed publisher..g. gas emissions whenever more than one measuring channel is applied. To reduce the measurement errors, some suggestions regarding design of the measurement setup and measuring strategies were presented...
- Lorentzen K, Chai S, Chen H, Danielsen C, Simonsen U, Wogensen L. Mechanisms involved in extracellular matrix remodeling and arterial stiffness induced by hyaluronan accumulation. Atherosclerosis. 2016;244:195-203 pubmed publisher..These findings may provide a mechanism for how hyperglycemia through HA accumulation prime the vascular wall for cholesterol and leucocyte accumulation and development of atherosclerosis. ..
- Pors S, Chadfield M, Sørensen D, Offenberg H, Bisgaard M, Jensen H. The origin of Pasteurella multocida impacts pathology and inflammation when assessed in a mouse model. Res Vet Sci. 2016;105:139-42 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, evaluation and comparison of pathogenicity and host-pathogen interaction of P. multocida isolates from different hosts is possible in the intranasal murine model. ..
- Barington K, Agger J, Nielsen S, Dich Jørgensen K, Jensen H. Gross and histopathological evaluation of human inflicted bruises in Danish slaughter pigs. BMC Vet Res. 2016;12:247 pubmed..Grossly, the pattern of bruises often reflected the shape of the object used for inflicting the lesions. When determining the age of multiple bruises on a pig more than two lesions should be evaluated histologically. ..
- Barington K, Jensen H, Skovgaard K. Forensic aspects of gene expression signatures for age determination in bruises as evaluated in an experimental porcine model. Forensic Sci Med Pathol. 2017;13:151-160 pubmed publisher..Further, due to the similarity of porcine and human skin physiology and immunity, these results might also provide valuable information in human forensic science. ..
- Høy M, Bokvist K, Xiao Gang W, Hansen J, Juhl K, Berggren P, et al. Phentolamine inhibits exocytosis of glucagon by Gi2 protein-dependent activation of calcineurin in rat pancreatic alpha -cells. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:924-30 pubmed..The imidazoline binding site is likely to be localized intracellularly and probably closely associated with the secretory granules...
- St Hilaire P, Alves L, Herrera F, Renil M, Sanderson S, Mottram J, et al. Solid-phase library synthesis, screening, and selection of tight-binding reduced peptide bond inhibitors of a recombinant Leishmania mexicana cysteine protease B. J Med Chem. 2002;45:1971-82 pubmed..One inhibitor, DKHF(CH(2)NH)LLVK (K(i) = 1 microm), was tested for antiparasite efficacy and shown to affect parasite survival with an IC(50) of approximately 50 microm. ..
- Kristensen M, Hansen T. Statistical analyses of repeated measures in physiological research: a tutorial. Adv Physiol Educ. 2004;28:2-14 pubmed
- Brix S, Kjaer T, Barkholt V, Frøkiaer H. Lipopolysaccharide contamination of beta-lactoglobulin affects the immune response against intraperitoneally and orally administered antigen. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2004;135:216-20 pubmed..LPS contamination of an aqueous protein solution does not affect oral tolerance induction, whereas LPS present in emulsion prevents oral tolerance induction towards the food protein. ..
- Andreasen J, Munksgaard E, Bakland L. Comparison of fracture resistance in root canals of immature sheep teeth after filling with calcium hydroxide or MTA. Dent Traumatol. 2006;22:154-6 pubmed..This finding may be of importance in the decision of treatment plans for teeth with pulp necrosis and immature root formation. ..
- Nørregaard R, Jensen B, Topcu S, Nielsen S, Walter S, Djurhuus J, et al. Cyclooxygenase type 2 is increased in obstructed rat and human ureter and contributes to pelvic pressure increase after obstruction. Kidney Int. 2006;70:872-81 pubmed..In summary, COX-2 expression is significantly increased in the ureteral wall in response to obstruction in the rat and human ureter and COX-2 activity contributes to increased pelvic pressure after obstruction. ..
- Hadrup S, Schumacher T. MHC-based detection of antigen-specific CD8+ T cell responses. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2010;59:1425-33 pubmed publisher..This strategy of 'combinatorial encoding' enables detection of many (at least 25) different T cell populations per sample and should be of broad value for both T cell epitope identification and immunomonitoring. ..
- Coskun M, Salem M, Pedersen J, Nielsen O. Involvement of JAK/STAT signaling in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Pharmacol Res. 2013;76:1-8 pubmed publisher..Further, it is described how these signaling pathways have been exploited for the development of promising novel JAK inhibitors with anti-inflammatory effects verified in clinical trials. ..
- Gaillard C, Friggens N, Taghipoor M, Weisbjerg M, Lehmann J, Sehested J. Effects of an individual weight-adjusted feeding strategy in early lactation on milk production of Holstein cows during extended lactation. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:2221-2236 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the supply of extra energy during the mobilization period had a 300-d negative carryover effect on lactation persistency. ..
- Jorgensen T, Dissing S, Gromada J. Cyclic GMP potentiates phenylephrine but not cyclic ADP-ribose-evoked calcium release from rat lacrimal acinar cells. FEBS Lett. 1996;391:117-20 pubmed..Collectively, these findings suggest that cGMP, via cGMP-dependent protein kinase I alpha , is required for intracellular Ca2+ release following alpha-adrenergic receptor activation in lacrimal acinar cells. ..
- Johansen S, Rask Pedersen E, Prause J. A bioavailability comparison in rabbits after a single topical ocular application of prednisolone acetate formulated as a high-viscosity gel and as an aqueous suspension. Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 1996;74:253-8 pubmed..For cornea and aqueous humour, the bioavailability values for the total period (0-12 h) do not differ significantly. However, for the first 6 h the difference is significant (p < 0.001 for cornea and p = 0.003 for aqueous humour). ..
- Nyengaard J. Stereologic methods and their application in kidney research. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1999;10:1100-23 pubmed..Estimation of error variances and some of the basic problems in stereology will be reviewed briefly. Finally, a few comments will be made about the future directions for stereology in kidney research. ..
- Gudjonsson T, Villadsen R, Nielsen H, Rønnov Jessen L, Bissell M, Petersen O. Isolation, immortalization, and characterization of a human breast epithelial cell line with stem cell properties. Genes Dev. 2002;16:693-706 pubmed..Thus, MUC(-)/ESA(+) epithelial cells within the luminal epithelial lineage may function as precursor cells of terminal duct lobular units in the human breast. ..
- Helboe L, Egebjerg J, Møller M, Thomsen C. Distribution and pharmacology of alanine-serine-cysteine transporter 1 (asc-1) in rodent brain. Eur J Neurosci. 2003;18:2227-38 pubmed..We conclude that asc-1-ir is widespread in the brain and limited to neuronal structures and that asc-1 may contribute to synaptic clearance of d-serine in brain. ..
- Agerholm J, Arnbjerg J, Andersen O. Familial chondrodysplasia in Holstein calves. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2004;16:293-8 pubmed..Further studies are needed to determine the mode of inheritance. ..
- Buschard K, Blomqvist M, Osterbye T, Fredman P. Involvement of sulfatide in beta cells and type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2005;48:1957-62 pubmed..Glycosphingolipids in general, and sulfatide in particular, appear relevant to both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. ..
- Caesar K, Offenhauser N, Lauritzen M. Gamma-aminobutyric acid modulates local brain oxygen consumption and blood flow in rat cerebellar cortex. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2008;28:906-15 pubmed..The findings are consistent with the hypothesis that activity-dependent rises in CeBF and CeMR(O(2)) are controlled by a common feed-forward pathway and provide evidence for modification of cerebral blood flow and CMR(O(2)) by GABA. ..
- Petersen H, Nielsen E, Hassing A, Ersbøll A, Nielsen J. Prevalence of clinical signs of disease in Danish finisher pigs. Vet Rec. 2008;162:377-82 pubmed
- Selman L, Skjodt K, Nielsen O, Floridon C, Holmskov U, Hansen S. Expression and tissue localization of collectin placenta 1 (CL-P1, SRCL) in human tissues. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:3278-88 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CL-P1 is not a common membrane protein on endothelial cells found in normal tissues under steady state conditions. ..
- Jensen L, Holstein Rathlou N. Is there a role for T-type Ca2+ channels in regulation of vasomotor tone in mesenteric arterioles?. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2009;87:8-20 pubmed publisher..The first direct demonstration of endothelial T-type channels warrants new investigations of their role in vascular biology. ..
- Jakobsen S, Larsen A, Stoltenberg M, Bruun J, Soballe K. Hydroxyapatite coatings did not increase TGF-beta and BMP-2 secretion in murine J774A.1 macrophages, but induced a pro-inflammatory cytokine response. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 2009;20:455-65 pubmed publisher..These results imply that the well-known bone-inductive effects of HA may not be dependent on macrophage BMP-2 and TGF-beta secretion. Surface topography and protein adhesion may play a more pivotal role. ..
- Söderman A, Mikkelsen J, West M, Christensen D, Jensen M. Activation of nicotinic ?(7) acetylcholine receptor enhances long term potentation in wild type mice but not in APP(swe)/PS1?E9 mice. Neurosci Lett. 2011;487:325-9 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the ?(7) nAChR is functionally blocked in the hippocampal neurons, downstream of the ?(7) nAChR, and that this is likely due to an interaction between the receptor and A?, which leads to changes in LTP. ..
- Christensen E, Birn H, Storm T, Weyer K, Nielsen R. Endocytic receptors in the renal proximal tubule. Physiology (Bethesda). 2012;27:223-36 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the molecular biology and physiology of the receptors and their involvement in renal pathological conditions. ..
- Allentoft M, Heller R, Oskam C, Lorenzen E, Hale M, Gilbert M, et al. Extinct New Zealand megafauna were not in decline before human colonization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:4922-7 pubmed publisher..This interpretation is supported by approximate Bayesian computation analyses. Our analyses consolidate the disappearance of moa as the most rapid, human-facilitated megafauna extinction documented to date. ..
- Erdogan C, Hansen B, Vang O. Are invertebrates relevant models in ageing research? Focus on the effects of rapamycin on TOR. Mech Ageing Dev. 2016;153:22-9 pubmed publisher..This suggests that administration of rapamycin in invertebrates is a promising tool for pursuing the scientific puzzle of lifespan prolongation. ..
- da Silva E, Pimenta F, Pedersen B, Blaikie F, Bosio G, Breitenbach T, et al. Intracellular singlet oxygen photosensitizers: on the road to solving the problems of sensitizer degradation, bleaching and relocalization. Integr Biol (Camb). 2016;8:177-93 pubmed publisher..These latter systems bode well with respect to obtaining more accurate control of the "dose" of singlet oxygen used to perturb a cell; a parameter that currently limits mechanistic studies of singlet-oxygen-mediated cell signaling. ..
- Jørgensen B, Gibson D, Huss H. Microbiological quality and shelf life prediction of chilled fish. Int J Food Microbiol. 1988;6:295-307 pubmed..It is concluded that the shelf life of iced whole cod can be predicted using this model but not that of vacuum-packed fillets because of the greater variability of bacterial activity in packaged fish...
- Kallipolitis B, Ingmer H, Gahan C, Hill C, Søgaard Andersen L. CesRK, a two-component signal transduction system in Listeria monocytogenes, responds to the presence of cell wall-acting antibiotics and affects beta-lactam resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2003;47:3421-9 pubmed..These results further our understanding of how L. monocytogenes senses and responds to antibiotics that are used therapeutically in the treatment of infectious diseases. ..
- Boedtkjer E, Praetorius J, Aalkjaer C. NBCn1 (slc4a7) mediates the Na+-dependent bicarbonate transport important for regulation of intracellular pH in mouse vascular smooth muscle cells. Circ Res. 2006;98:515-23 pubmed..We conclude that NBCn1 mediates the Na+-dependent bicarbonate transport important for pH(i) regulation in smooth muscle cells of mouse mesenteric, coronary, and cerebral small arteries. ..
- Fossing C, Vaarst M, Houe H, Enevoldsen C. Contributions to variability of clinical measures for use as indicators of udder health status in a clinical protocol. Acta Vet Scand. 2006;48:15 pubmed..It was concluded that most of the variables were relevant for implementation in herd health management, but that adjustments need to be made to improve reliability. ..
- Adolph S, DeLotto R, Nielsen F, Christiansen J. Embryonic expression of Drosophila IMP in the developing CNS and PNS. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:138-43 pubmed publisher..In the peripheral nervous system, immunoreactivity was detected in both neurons and accessory cells of chordotonal and external sensory organs. ..
- Gothelf A, Gehl J. Gene electrotransfer to skin; review of existing literature and clinical perspectives. Curr Gene Ther. 2010;10:287-99 pubmed..The aim of this review is to summarize which plasmids were injected and the electrical parameters applied. Furthermore an overview of the clinical perspectives of gene electrotransfer to skin will be presented. ..
- Wilson M, Schack H, Madsen P, Surlykke A, Wahlberg M. Directional escape behavior in allis shad (Alosa alosa) exposed to ultrasonic clicks mimicking an approaching toothed whale. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:22-9 pubmed publisher..The findings are thus consistent with the hypothesis that shad ultrasound detection is used for reducing predation from echolocating toothed whales. ..
- Møller I, Rogowska Wrzesinska A, Rao R. Protein carbonylation and metal-catalyzed protein oxidation in a cellular perspective. J Proteomics. 2011;74:2228-42 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss the identified carbonylated proteins and the pattern of carbonylation sites in relation to cellular metabolism using the mitochondrion as a case story. ..
- Madsen P, Surlykke A. Functional convergence in bat and toothed whale biosonars. Physiology (Bethesda). 2013;28:276-83 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate a striking functional convergence in the way these two groups of mammals independently evolved the capability to sense with sound in air and water. ..
- Christensen P, Lolk A, Gram L, Kragh Sørensen P. Benzodiazepine-induced sedation and cortisol suppression. A placebo-controlled comparison of oxazepam and nitrazepam in healthy male volunteers. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1992;106:511-6 pubmed..The time course for cortisol suppression for the two compounds differed clearly from the other measurements and was not related to the peak blood concentration. ..
- Midtgard U. Development of arteriovenous anastomoses in the skin of the chicken and the influence of environmental temperature. Am J Anat. 1989;186:300-5 pubmed..Heat and cold had only minor effect on the vascularity of the skin; the only significant change recorded was a slight increase in the number of blood vessels in the wattles of the cold-acclimated chickens...
- Petersen M, Friis C. Glucose uptake in Oesophagostomum dentatum and the effect of oxfendazole. Vet Parasitol. 1998;80:159-66 pubmed..It was concluded that oxfendazole did not influence the process of 14C-glucose uptake, but might induce changes in the parasite leading to a reduced ability to deplete the incubation medium of glucose...
- On S, Harrington C. Evaluation of numerical analysis of PFGE-DNA profiles for differentiating Campylobacter fetus subspecies by comparison with phenotypic, PCR and 16S rDNA sequencing methods. J Appl Microbiol. 2001;90:285-93 pubmed..To assess the efficacy of numerical analysis of PFGE-DNA profiles for identification and differentiation of Campylobacter fetus subspecies...
- Gburek J, Birn H, Verroust P, Goj B, Jacobsen C, Moestrup S, et al. Renal uptake of myoglobin is mediated by the endocytic receptors megalin and cubilin. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003;285:F451-8 pubmed..Identification of the receptors for tubular uptake of myoglobin may be essential for development of new therapeutic strategies for myoglobinuric acute renal failure. ..
- Guardabassi L, Loeber M, Jacobson A. Transmission of multiple antimicrobial-resistant Staphylococcus intermedius between dogs affected by deep pyoderma and their owners. Vet Microbiol. 2004;98:23-7 pubmed..Independent of the direction and modalities of transmission, this finding raises questions concerning the possible transfer of resistance genes from canine S. intermedius to human pathogenic staphylococci. ..
- Prats C, Cadefau J, Cusso R, Qvortrup K, Nielsen J, Wojtaszewski J, et al. Phosphorylation-dependent translocation of glycogen synthase to a novel structure during glycogen resynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:23165-72 pubmed..Here, we present evidence of a new regulatory mechanism of skeletal muscle glycogen metabolism based on glycogen enzyme intracellular compartmentalization. ..
- Lotharius J, Falsig J, van Beek J, Payne S, Dringen R, Brundin P, et al. Progressive degeneration of human mesencephalic neuron-derived cells triggered by dopamine-dependent oxidative stress is dependent on the mixed-lineage kinase pathway. J Neurosci. 2005;25:6329-42 pubmed
- Cazzamali G, Torp M, Hauser F, Williamson M, Grimmelikhuijzen C. The Drosophila gene CG9918 codes for a pyrokinin-1 receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;335:14-9 pubmed..This paper is the first conclusive report that CG9918 is a Drosophila pyrokinin-1 receptor gene. ..
- Bollen P, Skydsgaard M. Restricted feeding may induce serous fat atrophy in male Göttingen minipigs. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2006;57:347-9 pubmed
- Lund I, Jögi A, Rønø B, Rasch M, Lund L, Almholt K, et al. Antibody-mediated targeting of the urokinase-type plasminogen activator proteolytic function neutralizes fibrinolysis in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:32506-15 pubmed publisher..Importantly, this is the first report demonstrating specific antagonist-directed targeting of mouse uPA at the enzyme activity level in a normal physiological process in vivo. ..
- Holm M, Nieto Gonzalez J, Vardya I, Henningsen K, Jayatissa M, Wiborg O, et al. Hippocampal GABAergic dysfunction in a rat chronic mild stress model of depression. Hippocampus. 2011;21:422-33 pubmed publisher..Since the function of the GABAergic system was improved by antidepressant treatment, in parallel with behavioral read outs, it suggests a role of the GABAergic system in the pathophysiology of depression. ..