Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in
Publications542 found, 100 shown here
- Beadell J, Covas R, Gebhard C, Ishtiaq F, Melo M, Schmidt B, et al. Host associations and evolutionary relationships of avian blood parasites from West Africa. Int J Parasitol. 2009;39:257-66 pubmed publisher..Since host specificity may also influence parasite virulence, these results argue for considering the impact of haematozoa on avian hosts on a lineage-specific basis. ..
- Verbalis J, BARSONY J, Sugimura Y, Tian Y, Adams D, Carter E, et al. Hyponatremia-induced osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2010;25:554-63 pubmed publisher..Our combined results suggest that bone quality should be assessed in all patients with chronic hyponatremia. ..
- Palm F, Onozato M, Welch W, Wilcox C. Blood pressure, blood flow, and oxygenation in the clipped kidney of chronic 2-kidney, 1-clip rats: effects of tempol and Angiotensin blockade. Hypertension. 2010;55:298-304 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, acute administration of Tempol is more effective than candesartan in reducing the mean arterial blood pressure and improving renal blood perfusion and oxygenation in the clipped kidney of chronic 2K,1C rats. ..
- Rawat R, Cohen T, Ampong B, Francia D, Henriques Pons A, Hoffman E, et al. Inflammasome up-regulation and activation in dysferlin-deficient skeletal muscle. Am J Pathol. 2010;176:2891-900 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that skeletal muscle is an active contributor of IL-1beta and strategies that interfere with this pathway may be therapeutically useful for patients with limb girdle muscular dystrophy type 2B. ..
- Popratiloff A, Peusner K. GABA and glycine immunolabeling in the chicken tangential nucleus. Neuroscience. 2011;175:328-43 pubmed publisher..The two inhibitory neurotransmitters have distinct and separate origins and display contrasting subcellular termination patterns, which underscore their discrete roles in vestibular signal processing. ..
- Ghanta K, Pakala S, Reddy S, Li D, Nair S, Kumar R. MTA1 coregulation of transglutaminase 2 expression and function during inflammatory response. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:7132-8 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal an obligatory coregulatory role of MTA1 in the regulation of TG2 expression and of the MTA1-TG2 pathway, at least in part, in LPS modulation of the NF-?B signaling in stimulated macrophages. ..
- Ahlering M, Hailer F, Roberts M, Foley C. A simple and accurate method to sex savannah, forest and Asian elephants using noninvasive sampling techniques. Mol Ecol Resour. 2011;11:831-4 pubmed publisher..We found this method to be more robust, efficient and less prone to contamination than previously developed sexing methods for elephants...
- Trikha S, Jeremic A. Clustering and internalization of toxic amylin oligomers in pancreatic cells require plasma membrane cholesterol. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:36086-97 pubmed publisher..Our studies identify an actin-mediated and cholesterol-dependent mechanism for selective uptake and clearance of amylin oligomers, impairment of which greatly potentiates amylin toxicity. ..
- Aspiras A, Smith F, Angelini D. Sex-specific gene interactions in the patterning of insect genitalia. Dev Biol. 2011;360:369-80 pubmed publisher..Importantly, these gene functions and interactions describe the developmental patterning of sexually dimorphic structures that have been critical to the diversification of these species-rich insect groups...
- DeCicco Skinner K, Nolan S, Deshpande M, Trovato E, Dempsey T, Wiest J. Altered prostanoid signaling contributes to increased skin tumorigenesis in Tpl2 knockout mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56212 pubmed publisher..Defining the relationship between Tpl2 and COX-2 may lead to new ways to downregulate COX-2 through the modulation of Tpl2. ..
- Thornhill D, Xiang Y, Pettay D, Zhong M, Santos S. Population genetic data of a model symbiotic cnidarian system reveal remarkable symbiotic specificity and vectored introductions across ocean basins. Mol Ecol. 2013;22:4499-515 pubmed publisher..minutum across localities. This first ever molecular-genetic study of a globally distributed cnidarian and its Symbiodinium assemblages reveals host-symbiont specificity and widely distributed populations in an important model system. ..
- Guo P, Zhu F, Liu Q, Zhang L, Li J, Huang Y, et al. A taxonomic revision of the Asian keelback snakes, genus Amphiesma (Serpentes: Colubridae: Natricinae), with description of a new species. Zootaxa. 2014;3873:425-40 pubmed publisher..Another Old World natricine genera, Xenochrophis is also found to be non-monophyletic. Our results indicate that further taxonomic revisions are needed in Natricinae, at multiple levels.Â ..
- Chernoff N, Hill D, Diggs D, Faison B, Francis B, Lang J, et al. A critical review of the postulated role of the non-essential amino acid, ?-N-methylamino-L-alanine, in neurodegenerative disease in humans. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev. 2017;20:1-47 pubmed publisher..The review concludes that the hypothesis of a causal BMAA neurodegenerative disease relationship is not supported by existing data...
- Goldstein P. Review of the enigmatic genus <i>Boalda</i> with transfer of <i>pulcherrima</i> Köhler from <i>Nephelistis</i> and description of two new species (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Zootaxa. 2017;4276:139-144 pubmed publisher..pulcherrima transferred Boalda. A singleton specimen from Parque Nacional Cerro Corá, Dpto. Amambay, Paraguay, is figured but not described as a distinct species because of a lack of additional specimens. ..
- Lupton S, O Keefe M, Muñiz Ortiz J, Clinch N, Basu P. Survey of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, polychlorinated dibenzofurans and non-ortho-polychlorinated biphenyls in US meat and poultry, 2012-13: toxic equivalency levels, patterns, temporal trends and implications. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess. 2017;34:1970-1981 pubmed publisher..7 pg TEQ kg-1 bw day-1. ..
- Mao J, Hamosh M. Postnatal development of plasma-lipid-clearing enzymes (lipoprotein lipase, hepatic lipase and lecithin:cholesterol acyl transferase) and lipid profiles in suckling rats. Biol Neonate. 1992;62:1-9 pubmed..In conclusion, the enzymes associated with the metabolism of triglycerides, cholesterols and phospholipids are well developed in the rat shortly after birth. ..
- He L, Cleemann L, Soldatov N, Morad M. Molecular determinants of cAMP-mediated regulation of the Na+-Ca2+ exchanger expressed in human cell lines. J Physiol. 2003;548:677-89 pubmed
- Zhou X, Quann E, Gallicano G. Differentiation of nonbeating embryonic stem cells into beating cardiomyocytes is dependent on downregulation of PKC beta and zeta in concert with upregulation of PKC epsilon. Dev Biol. 2003;255:407-22 pubmed..e., ionic exchange glass beads) with recently developed methods for differentiating ES cells creates a possible novel technique for investigating differentiation of ES cells into cardiomyocytes as well as other cell types. ..
- Macdonald J. Beef and pork packing industries. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2003;19:419-43 pubmed
- Wang Y, Thuillier R, Culty M. Prenatal estrogen exposure differentially affects estrogen receptor-associated proteins in rat testis gonocytes. Biol Reprod. 2004;71:1652-64 pubmed..Considering the interaction of Hsp90 with several signaling molecules, changes in its expression levels may lead to subsequent changes in gonocyte development. ..
- Movsesyan V, Stoica B, Yakovlev A, Knoblach S, Lea P, Cernak I, et al. Anandamide-induced cell death in primary neuronal cultures: role of calpain and caspase pathways. Cell Death Differ. 2004;11:1121-32 pubmed
- Friedberg F, Taliaferro L. Calmodulin genes in zebrafish (revisited). Mol Biol Rep. 2005;32:55-60 pubmed
- Tillement L, Lecanu L, Yao W, Greeson J, Papadopoulos V. The spirostenol (22R, 25R)-20alpha-spirost-5-en-3beta-yl hexanoate blocks mitochondrial uptake of Abeta in neuronal cells and prevents Abeta-induced impairment of mitochondrial function. Steroids. 2006;71:725-35 pubmed..These results indicate that Abeta(1-42) and SP-233 exert direct effects on mitochondrial function and SP-233 protects neuronal cells against Abeta-induced toxicity by targeting Abeta directly. ..
- Lovejoy T. Climate change and biodiversity. Rev Sci Tech. 2008;27:331-8 pubmed..At minimum, the natural world will experience an equal amount of warming to that which has already taken place. This all suggests a future with nature and ecosystems very much in flux with profound implications for epidemiology. ..
- HOE H, Lee K, Carney R, Lee J, Markova A, Lee J, et al. Interaction of reelin with amyloid precursor protein promotes neurite outgrowth. J Neurosci. 2009;29:7459-73 pubmed publisher..Addition of an alpha3beta1 integrin antibody prevented APP and Reelin-induced neurite outgrowth. These findings demonstrate that Reelin interacts with APP, potentially having important effects on neurite development. ..
- Lerner H, Johnson J, Lindsay A, Kiff L, Mindell D. It's not too late for the harpy eagle (Harpia harpyja): high levels of genetic diversity and differentiation can fuel conservation programs. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7336 pubmed publisher..Evidence of historically restricted female-mediated gene flow is an important consideration for captive-breeding programs. ..
- Fu X, Zang K, Zhou Z, Reichardt L, Xu B. Retrograde neurotrophic signaling requires a protein interacting with receptor tyrosine kinases via C2H2 zinc fingers. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:36-49 pubmed publisher..We propose that NTRAP regulates retrograde neurotrophic signaling by controlling the formation of signaling endosomes. ..
- Urbanski J, Benoit J, Michaud M, Denlinger D, Armbruster P. The molecular physiology of increased egg desiccation resistance during diapause in the invasive mosquito, Aedes albopictus. Proc Biol Sci. 2010;277:2683-92 pubmed publisher..These results implicate the expression of fatty acyl coA elongase and changes in quantity, but not composition, of egg surface hydrocarbons as important components of increased desiccation resistance during diapause in A. albopictus...
- Asfour H, Swift L, Sarvazyan N, Doroslovački M, Kay M. Signal decomposition of transmembrane voltage-sensitive dye fluorescence using a multiresolution wavelet analysis. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2011;58:2083-93 pubmed publisher..It is a promising approach for studying wavefronts without aggressive mechanical tissue constraint or electromechanical uncoupling agents and is, useful for single-camera systems that do not provide for ratiometric imaging. ..
- O Halloran D. NemaCount: quantification of nematode chemotaxis behavior in a browser. Invert Neurosci. 2016;16:5 pubmed publisher..Apart from a modern browser, no additional software is required to operate NemaCount, making NemaCount a cheap, simple option for the analysis of nematode images and chemotaxis behavior. ..
- Lanford P, Lan Y, Jiang R, Lindsell C, Weinmaster G, Gridley T, et al. Notch signalling pathway mediates hair cell development in mammalian cochlea. Nat Genet. 1999;21:289-92 pubmed..These results provide direct evidence for Notch-mediated lateral inhibition in a mammalian system and support a role for Notch in the development of the cochlear mosaic. ..
- Grabus S, Smurthwaite S, Riley A. Nalorphine's ability to substitute for morphine in a drug discrimination procedure is a function of training dose. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1999;63:481-8 pubmed
- HOE H, Pocivavsek A, Chakraborty G, Fu Z, Vicini S, Ehlers M, et al. Apolipoprotein E receptor 2 interactions with the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:3425-31 pubmed..These studies suggest that ApoEr2 can form a multiprotein complex with NMDA receptor subunits and PSD95. ..
- Li Z, Jerebtsova M, Liu X, Tang P, Ray P. Novel cystogenic role of basic fibroblast growth factor in developing rodent kidneys. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;291:F289-96 pubmed..To the best of our knowledge, these experiments show for the first time that overexpression of bFGF in developing rodent kidneys can induce the formation of renal cysts in vivo. ..
- Gropman A, Adams D. Atypical patterns of inheritance. Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2007;14:34-45 pubmed..This review is meant to extend and complement the other topics in this issue as the concept of atypical inheritance is explored in more detail. ..
- Sheikh K, Banerjee P, Jagadeesh S, Grindrod S, Zhang L, Paige M, et al. Fluorescent epigenetic small molecule induces expression of the tumor suppressor ras-association domain family 1A and inhibits human prostate xenograft. J Med Chem. 2010;53:2376-82 pubmed publisher..The small molecule lead was not acutely toxic up to 550 mg/kg, and dosing at 10 mg/kg reduced human xenograft tumor volume by about 40%...
- Bhadra R, Gigley J, Khan I. Cutting edge: CD40-CD40 ligand pathway plays a critical CD8-intrinsic and -extrinsic role during rescue of exhausted CD8 T cells. J Immunol. 2011;187:4421-5 pubmed publisher..The critical role of CD40 during the rescue of exhausted CD8 T cells may provide a rational basis for designing novel therapeutic vaccination approaches. ..
- Bhadra R, Gigley J, Khan I. PD-1-mediated attrition of polyfunctional memory CD8+ T cells in chronic toxoplasma infection. J Infect Dis. 2012;206:125-34 pubmed publisher..The conclusions of this study can have profound immunotherapeutic implications in combating recrudescent toxoplasmosis as well other chronic infections. ..
- Washington P, Forcelli P, Wilkins T, Zapple D, Parsadanian M, Burns M. The effect of injury severity on behavior: a phenotypic study of cognitive and emotional deficits after mild, moderate, and severe controlled cortical impact injury in mice. J Neurotrauma. 2012;29:2283-96 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the threshold for emotional changes after experimental TBI is low, with no variation in behavioral deficits seen between mild and severe brain injury. ..
- Sampey G, Saifuddin M, Schwab A, Barclay R, Punya S, Chung M, et al. Exosomes from HIV-1-infected Cells Stimulate Production of Pro-inflammatory Cytokines through Trans-activating Response (TAR) RNA. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:1251-66 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results imply that exosomes containing TAR RNA could directly affect the proinflammatory cytokine gene expression and may explain a possible mechanism of inflammation observed in HIV-1-infected patients under cART. ..
- Andrews P, Chung E. High dietary protein regimens provide significant protection from mercury nephrotoxicity in rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1990;105:288-304 pubmed
- Garnier M, Dimchev A, Boujrad N, Price J, Musto N, Papadopoulos V. In vitro reconstitution of a functional peripheral-type benzodiazepine receptor from mouse Leydig tumor cells. Mol Pharmacol. 1994;45:201-11 pubmed
- DiFronzo N, Holland C. A direct demonstration of recombination between an injected virus and endogenous viral sequences, resulting in the generation of mink cell focus-inducing viruses in AKR mice. J Virol. 1993;67:3763-70 pubmed..Furthermore, the progression to leukemia was accelerated in mice that develop tumors containing proviruses with an MCF virus env gene, emphasizing the importance of the role of the MCF virus env gene product in transformation...
- Tang C, Concepcion X, Milan M, Gong X, Montgomery E, Lippman M. Ribozyme-mediated down-regulation of ErbB-4 in estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer cells inhibits proliferation both in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Res. 1999;59:5315-22 pubmed..Our data suggest that elevation of the ErbB-4 receptor plays a role in ER+ breast cancer cell proliferation. Moreover, ribozyme technology provides a useful tool to delineate the role of a particular gene product. ..
- Liu X, Aigner A, Wellstein A, Ray P. Up-regulation of a fibroblast growth factor binding protein in children with renal diseases. Kidney Int. 2001;59:1717-28 pubmed..The localization of FGF-BP in renal tubular epithelial cells could provide a mechanism by which the activity of bFGF is modulated in developing and regenerating renal tubules of children. ..
- Kc P, Karibi Ikiriko A, Rust C, Jayam Trouth A, Haxhiu M. Phenotypic traits of the hypothalamic PVN cells innervating airway-related vagal preganglionic neurons. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2006;154:319-30 pubmed..The results indicate that AVP- and OXT-producing PVN cells, via direct projections to the AVPNs, could modulate cholinergic outflow to the airways, as a part of overall changes in response to stress. ..
- Tieman J. Congressional conversations: horse slaughtering or poverty and health care?. Health Prog. 2006;87:8-10 pubmed
- Magnuson B, Appleton J, Ames G. Pharmacokinetics and distribution of [35S]methylsulfonylmethane following oral administration to rats. J Agric Food Chem. 2007;55:1033-8 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that [35S]MSM is rapidly absorbed, well distributed, and completely excreted from the body. ..
- Shaw L, Billings L, Schwartz I. Using dimension reduction to improve outbreak predictability of multistrain diseases. J Math Biol. 2007;55:1-19 pubmed..We also show how this technique may be applicable to other multistrain disease models, such as those with cross-immunity. ..
- Welch W, Patel K, Modlinger P, Mendonca M, Kawada N, Dennehy K, et al. Roles of vasoconstrictor prostaglandins, COX-1 and -2, and AT1, AT2, and TP receptors in a rat model of early 2K,1C hypertension. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H2644-9 pubmed..2K,1C hypertension in rats activates renin, O(2)*(-), and vasoconstrictor PGs. Hypertension is maintained by AT(1)Rs and by COX-1, but not COX-2, products that activate TPRs. ..
- Nagaraju K, Rawat R, Veszelovszky E, Thapliyal R, Kesari A, Sparks S, et al. Dysferlin deficiency enhances monocyte phagocytosis: a model for the inflammatory onset of limb-girdle muscular dystrophy 2B. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:774-85 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we hypothesize that mild myofiber damage in dysferlin-deficient muscle stimulates an inflammatory cascade that may initiate, exacerbate, and possibly perpetuate the underlying myofiber-specific dystrophic process...
- Waksman R, McEwan P, Moore T, Pakala R, Kolodgie F, Hellinga D, et al. PhotoPoint photodynamic therapy promotes stabilization of atherosclerotic plaques and inhibits plaque progression. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;52:1024-32 pubmed publisher..These early healing responses suggest that PDT is a promising therapy for the treatment of acute coronary syndromes. ..
- Anderson G, Liu J, Hale M, Bernstein R, Moore M, Swain M, et al. Development of antiricin single domain antibodies toward detection and therapeutic reagents. Anal Chem. 2008;80:9604-11 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that antiricin sdAb have great potential for both diagnostic and therapeutic applications. ..
- Spurney C, Gordish Dressman H, Guerron A, Sali A, Pandey G, Rawat R, et al. Preclinical drug trials in the mdx mouse: assessment of reliable and sensitive outcome measures. Muscle Nerve. 2009;39:591-602 pubmed publisher..These data provide an experimental basis upon which standardization of preclinical drug testing can be developed. Muscle Nerve, 2008...
- Loane D, Stoica B, Pajoohesh Ganji A, Byrnes K, Faden A. Activation of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 modulates microglial reactivity and neurotoxicity by inhibiting NADPH oxidase. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:15629-39 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that mGluR5 represents a novel target for modulating microglial-dependent neuroinflammation, and may have therapeutic relevance for neurological disorders that exhibit microglial-mediated neurodegeneration. ..
- Wang X, Penalva L, Yuan H, Linnoila R, Lu J, Okano H, et al. Musashi1 regulates breast tumor cell proliferation and is a prognostic indicator of poor survival. Mol Cancer. 2010;9:221 pubmed publisher..Msi1 KD reduces tumor cell survival and tumor xenograft growth, suggesting that it may represent a novel target for drug discovery. ..
- Rauschecker J. An expanded role for the dorsal auditory pathway in sensorimotor control and integration. Hear Res. 2011;271:16-25 pubmed publisher..The current article corroborates this model by adding and discussing recent evidence. ..
- Wilcox C, Palm F, Welch W. Renal oxygenation and function of the rat kidney: effects of inspired oxygen and preglomerular oxygen shunting. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013;765:329-334 pubmed publisher..Thus, the preglomerular diffusional shunt appeared to stabilize intrarenal PO(2) during changes in arterial oxygen and to protect NO signaling within the kidney...
- Mangin J, Li P, Scafidi J, Gallo V. Experience-dependent regulation of NG2 progenitors in the developing barrel cortex. Nat Neurosci. 2012;15:1192-4 pubmed publisher..Thus, early sensory experience regulates thalamocortical innervation on NG2 cells, as well as their proliferation and distribution during development. ..
- Duan D, Rafael Fortney J, Blain A, Kass D, McNally E, Metzger J, et al. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for Evaluating the Heart in Preclinical Studies of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2016;9:85-6 pubmed publisher..The goal of these protocols is to improve the quality and reproducibility of cardiac preclinical studies aimed at developing new therapeutics for the prevention and treatment of DMD cardiomyopathy. ..
- Hennessy E, Ornstein J, Economos C, Herzog J, Lynskey V, Coffield E, et al. Designing an Agent-Based Model for Childhood Obesity Interventions: A Case Study of ChildObesity180. Prev Chronic Dis. 2016;13:E04 pubmed publisher..We used data from 2 obesity prevention initiatives and public-use resources. The details and goals of the interventions, overview of the model design process, and generalizability of this approach for future interventions is discussed. ..
- Becker M, Gratwicke B. Minimum lethal concentration of sodium hypochlorite for the amphibian pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176439 pubmed publisher..Sodium hypochlorite completely killed Bd at a concentration of 0.03% during a 15-minute exposure time, while 0.12% NaOCl was effective at all exposure times (30s-15min). ..
- Sommers C, Papageorge A, Wilding G, Gelmann E. Growth properties and tumorigenesis of MCF-7 cells transfected with isogenic mutants of rasH. Cancer Res. 1990;50:67-71 pubmed..Tumor formation did not correlate with the level of rasH p21 expression in these cell lines. No tumor formation in the absence of estradiol was observed for cell lines expressing single-mutated or unmutated forms of rasH...
- Malinin G, Lo H, Malinin T. Ultrastructural cytochemistry of hepatic lysosomes and their protein components is selectively revealed by the ninhydrin-dimethyl sulfoxide-thiocarbohydrazide-silver proteinate reaction. Histochemistry. 1989;90:339-45 pubmed..We conclude that the N-DMSO-TCH-SP reaction is the method of choice for cytochemical elucidation of the protein ultrastructure of lysosomes and their enzymatic aggregates. ..
- Baird J, Neafie R, Connor D. Nodules in the conjunctiva, bung-eye, and bulge-eye in Africa caused by Mansonella perstans. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1988;38:553-7 pubmed..The morphologic features and histopathologic changes in the conjunctiva and periorbital fat are described and illustrated...
- Igietseme J, Herscowitz H. Immunoregulatory functions of BCG-elicited alveolar macrophages in cell-mediated immune responses. Reg Immunol. 1988;1:172-81 pubmed..These results suggest that BCG-elicited AM are capable of both accessory and regulatory functions in cell-mediated immunity...
- Tavassoli F, Casey H, Norris H. The morphologic effects of synthetic reproductive steroids on the mammary gland of rhesus monkeys. Mestranol, ethynerone, mestranol-ethynerone, chloroethynyl norgestrel-mestranol, and anagestone acetate-mestranol combinations. Am J Pathol. 1988;131:213-34 pubmed..The occurrence of severe degrees of atypia identical to intraductal carcinoma in the human breast and invasive carcinoma associated with hormone administration suggests a carcinogenic effect. ..
- McKillop I, Vyas N, Schmidt C, Cahill P, Sitzmann J. Enhanced Gi-protein-mediated mitogenesis following chronic ethanol exposure in a rat model of experimental hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 1999;29:412-20 pubmed..Furthermore, this effect may be caused by ethanol's direct up-regulation of the expression and activity of Gi-proteins in HCC. ..
- Uittenbogaard M, Martinka D, Chiaramello A. The basic helix-loop-helix differentiation factor Nex1/MATH-2 functions as a key activator of the GAP-43 gene. J Neurochem. 2003;84:678-88 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that Nex1 may engage in selective interactions with components of the core transcriptional machinery whose assembly is dictated by the architecture of the GAP-43 promoter and cellular environment. ..
- Abernathy C, Thomas D, Calderon R. Health effects and risk assessment of arsenic. J Nutr. 2003;133:1536S-8S pubmed publisher..After reviewing the As database, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency promulgated a maximum contaminant level for As in drinking water of 10 micro g/L. ..
- Lee J, Emch G, Johnson C, Wrathall J. Effect of spinal cord injury severity on alterations of the H-reflex. Exp Neurol. 2005;196:430-40 pubmed
- Suda King C. Do orangutans (Pongo pygmaeus) know when they do not remember?. Anim Cogn. 2008;11:21-42 pubmed..These findings indicate that some orangutans appear to tell when they do not remember correct answers in memory tests. ..
- Bronson E, Deem S, Sanchez C, Murray S. Serologic response to a canarypox-vectored canine distemper virus vaccine in the giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca). J Zoo Wildl Med. 2007;38:363-6 pubmed..The vaccine proved to be safe, and serum-neutralizing antibody titers interpreted as protective against CDV disease were measured in each animal. ..
- Richmond B. Biomechanics of phalangeal curvature. J Hum Evol. 2007;53:678-90 pubmed..These results offer a biomechanical explanation for the observed association between phalangeal curvature and arboreality. ..
- Alexandrescu D, Kauffman C, Dasanu C. The cutaneous epidermal growth factor network: Can it be translated clinically to stimulate hair growth?. Dermatol Online J. 2009;15:1 pubmed..A better characterization of the individual roles pertaining to the EGF family ligands and receptors, has the potential provide new strategies for the management of hair loss. ..
- Conti G, Gale K, Kondratyev A. Immunohistochemical evaluation of the protein expression of nerve growth factor and its TrkA receptor in rat limbic regions following electroshock seizures. Neurosci Res. 2009;65:201-9 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that repeated exposure to ECS causes an upregulation of TrkA and NGF proteins in several limbic areas in which neuroprotective effects are observed suggesting that NGF contributes to ECS-evoked neuroprotection. ..
- Brindley P, Mitreva M, Ghedin E, Lustigman S. Helminth genomics: The implications for human health. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2009;3:e538 pubmed publisher..They are likely also to predict new potential vaccine candidates and drug targets. In this review, we present an overview of these efforts and emphasize the potential impact and importance of these new findings. ..
- Wilcox C. Effects of tempol and redox-cycling nitroxides in models of oxidative stress. Pharmacol Ther. 2010;126:119-45 pubmed publisher..Indeed, tempol given from birth prolonged the life span of normal mice. However, presently tempol has been used only in human subjects as a topical agent to prevent radiation-induced alopecia. ..
- Bhadra R, Guan H, Khan I. Absence of both IL-7 and IL-15 severely impairs the development of CD8 T cell response against Toxoplasma gondii. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10842 pubmed publisher..gondii. To the best of our knowledge this synergism between IL-7 and IL-15 in generating an optimal CD8(+) T cell immunity against intracellular parasite or any other infectious disease model has not been previously reported...
- Weeks S, Anderson Barnes V, Tsao J. Phantom limb pain: theories and therapies. Neurologist. 2010;16:277-86 pubmed publisher..Phantom limb pain (PLP) frequently develops in these individuals. As a result, identifying the best methods to treat PLP is critical. The review highlights areas of inquiry related to phantom pain, with a focus on PLP...
- Rinaldi G, Eckert S, Tsai I, Suttiprapa S, Kines K, Tort J, et al. Germline transgenesis and insertional mutagenesis in Schistosoma mansoni mediated by murine leukemia virus. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002820 pubmed publisher..DATABASE ACCESSION: Sequence data from this study have been submitted to the European Nucleotide Archive (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/embl) under accession number ERP000379...
- Villar V, Jones J, Armando I, Asico L, Escano C, Lee H, et al. Sorting nexin 1 loss results in D5 dopamine receptor dysfunction in human renal proximal tubule cells and hypertension in mice. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:152-63 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate a crucial role for SNX1 in D(5)R trafficking and that SNX1 depletion results in D(5)R dysfunction and thus may represent a novel mechanism for the pathogenesis of essential hypertension. ..
- Dyjack D, Ho J, Lynes R, Lynes R, Bliss J. Public health implications of animals in retail food outlets. J Environ Health. 2013;76:24-30 pubmed..Special consideration is recommended for vulnerable populations such as children, asthmatics, the elderly, pregnant women, and the immunocompromised. ..
- Twum Ampofo J, Fu D, Passaniti A, Hussain A, Siddiqui M. Metabolic targets for potential prostate cancer therapeutics. Curr Opin Oncol. 2016;28:241-7 pubmed publisher..Future studies will continue to test if the metabolic characterization and treatment of PCa could be an important approach to provide personalized treatment for the disease. ..