Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animal disease models in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: animal disease models
Publications301 found, 100 shown here
- Ganta R, Cheng C, Miller E, McGuire B, Peddireddi L, Sirigireddy K, et al. Differential clearance and immune responses to tick cell-derived versus macrophage culture-derived Ehrlichia chaffeensis in mice. Infect Immun. 2007;75:135-45 pubmed..These data suggest that the host response to E. chaffeensis depends on the source of the bacteria and that this experimental model requires the most natural inoculum possible to allow for a realistic understanding of host resistance...
- Ankeny D, Lucin K, Sanders V, McGaughy V, Popovich P. Spinal cord injury triggers systemic autoimmunity: evidence for chronic B lymphocyte activation and lupus-like autoantibody synthesis. J Neurochem. 2006;99:1073-87 pubmed..We show a similar pathologic potential for the autoantibodies produced after SCI. Thus, mammalian SCI produces marked dysregulation of B cell function (i.e. autoimmunity) with pathological potential. ..
- Butchbach M, Edwards J, Schussler K, Burghes A. A novel method for oral delivery of drug compounds to the neonatal SMNDelta7 mouse model of spinal muscular atrophy. J Neurosci Methods. 2007;161:285-90 pubmed..This approach offers a simple and rapid means by which potential therapeutics for SMA can be identified. ..
- Ghaheri B, Kempton J, Pillers D, Trune D. Cochlear cytokine gene expression in murine acute otitis media. Laryngoscope. 2007;117:22-9 pubmed..This study provides a novel site of production of cytokines that may be responsible for the damage seen in sensorineural hearing loss. ..
- Carlson H. Human adrenal cortex hyperfunction due to LH/hCG. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007;269:46-50 pubmed..Additional investigations are needed to better define the role of the LH/hCG receptor in the normal adult and fetal human adrenal and to understand how this system is excessively activated in rare cases of human disease. ..
- Nikodemova M, Watters J, Jackson S, Yang S, Duncan I. Minocycline down-regulates MHC II expression in microglia and macrophages through inhibition of IRF-1 and protein kinase C (PKC)alpha/betaII. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:15208-16 pubmed..Such a fundamental mechanism may underlie the pleiotropic effects of minocycline in CNS inflammatory disorders. ..
- Carra J, Wannemacher R, Tammariello R, Lindsey C, Dinterman R, Schokman R, et al. Improved formulation of a recombinant ricin A-chain vaccine increases its stability and effective antigenicity. Vaccine. 2007;25:4149-58 pubmed..Our results suggest that optimization of adherence of a protein antigen to aluminum adjuvant can be a useful route to increasing both stability and effectiveness, and support a role for a "depot effect" of adjuvant. ..
- Talukder M, Kalyanasundaram A, Zhao X, Zuo L, Bhupathy P, Babu G, et al. Expression of SERCA isoform with faster Ca2+ transport properties improves postischemic cardiac function and Ca2+ handling and decreases myocardial infarction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H2418-28 pubmed..Thus SERCA1a(+/+) hearts were markedly protected against I/R injury, suggesting that expression of SERCA 1a isoform reduces postischemic Ca(2+) overload and thus provides potent myocardial protection. ..
- Ross O, Worrall B, Meschia J. Advancing stroke therapeutics through genetic understanding. Curr Drug Targets. 2007;8:850-9 pubmed..Identifying possible genetic determinants of outcome will also open new avenues of research into stroke therapeutics beyond thrombolysis. ..
- Shanmugarajan S, Swoboda K, Iannaccone S, Ries W, Maria B, Reddy S. Congenital bone fractures in spinal muscular atrophy: functional role for SMN protein in bone remodeling. J Child Neurol. 2007;22:967-73 pubmed..This article reviews the skeletal complications associated with spinal muscular atrophy and describes a functional role for SMN protein in osteoclast development and bone resorption activity. ..
- Dombrowski S, Deshpande A, Dingwall C, Leichliter A, Leibson Z, Luciano M. Chronic hydrocephalus-induced hypoxia: increased expression of VEGFR-2+ and blood vessel density in hippocampus. Neuroscience. 2008;152:346-59 pubmed publisher..Modulation of vascular endothelial growth factor/VEGFR-2(+) may be important in developing treatments for hypoxic conditions including hydrocephalus and other forms of cerebral ischemia. ..
- Gubbels S, Woessner D, Mitchell J, Ricci A, Brigande J. Functional auditory hair cells produced in the mammalian cochlea by in utero gene transfer. Nature. 2008;455:537-41 pubmed publisher..We expect that our in utero gene transfer paradigm will enable the design and validation of gene therapies to ameliorate hearing loss in mouse models of human deafness. ..
- Noppens R, Kofler J, Grafe M, Hurn P, Traystman R. Estradiol after cardiac arrest and cardiopulmonary resuscitation is neuroprotective and mediated through estrogen receptor-beta. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2009;29:277-86 pubmed publisher..05). Injury was not different in hippocampal CA1 between vehicle and ER-alpha agonist-treated animals. We conclude that long-term E2 administration after CA/CPR is neuroprotective and that this effect is most likely mediated via ER-beta. ..
- Barman S, Zhu S, White R. RhoA/Rho-kinase signaling: a therapeutic target in pulmonary hypertension. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2009;5:663-71 pubmed
- Chakraborty G, Thumpayil S, Lafontant D, Woubneh W, Toney J. Age dependence of glucose tolerance in adult KK-Ay mice, a model of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Lab Anim (NY). 2009;38:364-8 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that KK-Ay mice undergo an age-dependent improvement of glucose tolerance when maintained on a normal diet for 25 weeks or longer, due in part to increases in plasma levels of insulin and amylin. ..
- Gasbarro G, Lin D, Vurbic D, Quisno A, Kinley B, Daneshgari F, et al. Voiding function in obese and type 2 diabetic female rats. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;298:F72-7 pubmed publisher..Voiding dysfunction was evident in both obese groups but with no significant differences due to DMII, suggesting that voiding dysfunction in DMII may be attributable at least in part to chronic obesity. ..
- Lu Y, Markel M, Nemke B, Lee J, Graf B, Murphy W. Influence of hydroxyapatite-coated and growth factor-releasing interference screws on tendon-bone healing in an ovine model. Arthroscopy. 2009;25:1427-34.e1 pubmed publisher..This linkBMP-2 coating material may improve early tendon/ligament fixation. ..
- Feng H, Guo L, Song Z, Gao H, Wang D, Fu W, et al. Caveolin-1 protects against sepsis by modulating inflammatory response, alleviating bacterial burden, and suppressing thymocyte apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:25154-60 pubmed publisher..Caveolin-1 exerts its protective function likely through its roles in modulating inflammatory response, alleviating bacterial burdens, and suppressing thymocyte apoptosis. ..
- Runge V, Wells J, Williams N. Hepatic abscesses. Magnetic resonance imaging findings using gadolinium-BOPTA. Invest Radiol. 1996;31:781-8 pubmed..The appearance of a liver abscess on late scans (45 to 60 minutes) after Gd-BOPTA injection is distinct from that of nonnecrotic metastases, with diffusion of the agent into the lesion noted. ..
- Carsten C, Calton W, Johanning J, Armstrong P, Franklin D, Carey D, et al. Elastase is not sufficient to induce experimental abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg. 2001;33:1255-62 pubmed..Future use of this rat model will need to take the variability of elastase preparations into account with controls for each new elastase lot. ..
- Waite K, Eng C. Protean PTEN: form and function. Am J Hum Genet. 2002;70:829-44 pubmed
- Lin F, Emancipator S, Salant D, Medof M. Decay-accelerating factor confers protection against complement-mediated podocyte injury in acute nephrotoxic nephritis. Lab Invest. 2002;82:563-9 pubmed..The results show that DAF is essential physiologically for protecting glomeruli against autologous complement attack initiated by the classical pathway. ..
- Baker P, Roopenian D. Genetic susceptibility to chronic periodontal disease. Microbes Infect. 2002;4:1157-67 pubmed..Data from both clinical studies and studies using animal models are reviewed here. Also outlined are the genomic methods that are now available for identifying susceptibility and resistance loci...
- Gregorevic P, Blankinship M, Allen J, Crawford R, Meuse L, Miller D, et al. Systemic delivery of genes to striated muscles using adeno-associated viral vectors. Nat Med. 2004;10:828-34 pubmed..We propose that these methods may be applicable for systemic delivery of a wide variety of genes to the striated muscles of adult mammals. ..
- Held P, Al Dhalimy M, Willenbring H, Akkari Y, Jiang S, Torimaru Y, et al. In vivo genetic selection of renal proximal tubules. Mol Ther. 2006;13:49-58 pubmed..These data demonstrate that extensive regeneration of the renal proximal tubule compartment can be achieved through genetic selection of functional cells. ..
- Barbay S, Plautz E, Friel K, Frost S, Dancause N, Stowe A, et al. Behavioral and neurophysiological effects of delayed training following a small ischemic infarct in primary motor cortex of squirrel monkeys. Exp Brain Res. 2006;169:106-16 pubmed..These results indicate that post-injury behavioral experience, such as motor skill training, may modulate peri-infarct cortical plasticity in different ways in the acute versus chronic stages following stroke. ..
- Bledsoe G, Crickman S, Mao J, Xia C, Murakami H, Chao L, et al. Kallikrein/kinin protects against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity by inhibition of inflammation and apoptosis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006;21:624-33 pubmed..These findings raise the potential of applying kallikrein therapy approaches in treating aminoglycoside-induced renal damage. ..
- Lai J, Yu C, Moser C, Aderca I, Han T, Garvey T, et al. SULF1 inhibits tumor growth and potentiates the effects of histone deacetylase inhibitors in hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology. 2006;130:2130-44 pubmed..The interaction between SULF1 and apicidin was confirmed in vivo in Huh7 and Hep3B xenografts. These results show that SULF1 promotes histone H4 acetylation, potentiates the effects of HDAC inhibitors, and inhibits HCC tumorigenesis. ..
- Bush E, Hood D, Papst P, Chapo J, Minobe W, Bristow M, et al. Canonical transient receptor potential channels promote cardiomyocyte hypertrophy through activation of calcineurin signaling. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:33487-96 pubmed..These results define a novel role for TRPC channels in the control of cardiac growth, and suggest that a TRPC-derived pool of calcium contributes to selective activation of calcineurin in diseased heart. ..
- White N, Jiang D, Burgess J, Bederman I, Previs S, Kelley T. Altered cholesterol homeostasis in cultured and in vivo models of cystic fibrosis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007;292:L476-86 pubmed..This perturbation of cholesterol homeostasis represents a potentially important process in CF pathogenesis. ..
- Amos Landgraf J, Kwong L, Kendziorski C, Reichelderfer M, Torrealba J, Weichert J, et al. A target-selected Apc-mutant rat kindred enhances the modeling of familial human colon cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:4036-41 pubmed..We believe that the Pirc rat kindred can address many of the current gaps in the modeling of human colon cancer. ..
- Bailey S, Mitra S, Flavahan S, Bergdall V, Flavahan N. In vivo endothelial denudation disrupts smooth muscle caveolae and differentially impairs agonist-induced constriction in small arteries. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2007;49:183-90 pubmed..These results suggest that intimal injury to small cutaneous arteries disrupts VSMC surface caveolae and selectively impairs constriction to stimuli that are dependent on these structures for signaling. ..
- Myles M, Dieckgraefe B, Criley J, Franklin C. Characterization of cecal gene expression in a differentially susceptible mouse model of bacterial-induced inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2007;13:822-36 pubmed..Collectively, these findings provide a foundation for understanding the immunological mechanisms that confer resistance or susceptibility to H. hepaticus-induced typhlitis. ..
- Hanft L, Bogan D, Mayer U, Kaufman S, Kornegay J, Ervasti J. Cytoplasmic gamma-actin expression in diverse animal models of muscular dystrophy. Neuromuscul Disord. 2007;17:569-74 pubmed..These data suggest that elevated gamma(cyto)-actin is part of a compensatory cytoskeletal remodeling program that may partially stabilize dystrophic muscle in some cases where the dystrophin-glycoprotein complex is compromised...
- Ren K, King M, Liu J, Siemann J, Altman M, Meyers C, et al. The alpha7 nicotinic receptor agonist 4OH-GTS-21 protects axotomized septohippocampal cholinergic neurons in wild type but not amyloid-overexpressing transgenic mice. Neuroscience. 2007;148:230-7 pubmed
- O Callaghan R, McCormick C, Caballero A, Marquart M, Gatlin H, Fratkin J. Age-related differences in rabbits during experimental Staphylococcus aureus keratitis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:5125-31 pubmed..Corneas and erythrocytes of young rabbits, relative to aged rabbits, are significantly more susceptible to S. aureus keratitis and to alpha-toxin. ..
- Karch C, Borchelt D. A limited role for disulfide cross-linking in the aggregation of mutant SOD1 linked to familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:13528-37 pubmed publisher..Instead we suggest that these residues participate in other features of the protein that, in some manner, modulate aggregation. ..
- Mulligan M, Ponomarev I, Boehm S, Owen J, Levin P, Berman A, et al. Alcohol trait and transcriptional genomic analysis of C57BL/6 substrains. Genes Brain Behav. 2008;7:677-89 pubmed publisher..H2afz, Psen1, Wdfy1 and Clu were also identified as candidate genes that may be involved in influencing alcohol consumption. ..
- Christman M, Goetz D, Dickerson E, McCall K, Lewis C, Benencia F, et al. Wnt5a is expressed in murine and human atherosclerotic lesions. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;294:H2864-70 pubmed publisher..Combined, these findings demonstrate for the first time Wnt5a expression in human and murine atherosclerotic lesions and suggest that cross talk between TLR-4 and Wnt5a is operative in atherosclerosis. ..
- Russo T, Macdonald U, Beanan J, Olson R, MacDonald I, Sauberan S, et al. Penicillin-binding protein 7/8 contributes to the survival of Acinetobacter baumannii in vitro and in vivo. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:513-21 pubmed publisher..An understanding of how PBP-7/8 contributes to serum resistance will lend insight into the role of this low-molecular-mass PBP whose function is poorly understood. ..
- Skoura A, Hla T. Regulation of vascular physiology and pathology by the S1P2 receptor subtype. Cardiovasc Res. 2009;82:221-8 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that selective modulation of S1P2 receptor function by pharmacological tools may be useful in a variety of pathological conditions. ..
- Vail D, Thamm D, Reiser H, Ray A, Wolfgang G, Watkins W, et al. Assessment of GS-9219 in a pet dog model of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:3503-10 pubmed publisher..016). GS-9219 was generally well tolerated and showed significant activity against spontaneous non-Hodgkin's lymphoma as modeled in pet dogs and, as such, supports clinical evaluation in humans. ..
- Zhao E, Keller M, Rabaglia M, Oler A, Stapleton D, Schueler K, et al. Obesity and genetics regulate microRNAs in islets, liver, and adipose of diabetic mice. Mamm Genome. 2009;20:476-85 pubmed publisher..Understanding the influence that obesity and genetics exert on the regulation of miRNA expression will reveal the role miRNAs play in the context of obesity-induced type 2 diabetes. ..
- Albert D, Neekhra A, Wang S, Darjatmoko S, Sorenson C, Dubielzig R, et al. Development of choroidal neovascularization in rats with advanced intense cyclic light-induced retinal degeneration. Arch Ophthalmol. 2010;128:212-22 pubmed publisher..The ability to study the progressive pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration and CNV will provide detailed knowledge about the disease and aid in the development of target-specific therapy. ..
- Mhaskar Y, Harvey J, Dunaway G. Developmental changes of 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase subunit levels in erythrocytes from normal dogs and dogs affected by glycogen storage disease type VII. Comp Biochem Physiol B. 1992;101:303-7 pubmed..Also, in the affected dog erythrocytes, truncated M-type subunits were detected; and the initially high levels of the C-type subunit decreased approximately 50% after 4 weeks...
- Carpenter R, Miao L, Miyagi Y, Bengten E, Zhang J. Altered expression of P(2) receptor mRNAs in the basilar artery in a rat double hemorrhage model. Stroke. 2001;32:516-22 pubmed..The upregulation of P(2Y1) and P(2Y2) receptors might enable ATP to produce contraction at low levels of concentration. ..
- Mhanna M, Ferkol T, Martin R, Dreshaj I, van Heeckeren A, Kelley T, et al. Nitric oxide deficiency contributes to impairment of airway relaxation in cystic fibrosis mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2001;24:621-6 pubmed..We conclude that the relative absence of NO compromises airways relaxation in CF, and may contribute to the bronchial obstruction seen in the disease...
- St Pierre Schneider B, Brickson S, Corr D, Best T. CD11b+ neutrophils predominate over RAM11+ macrophages in stretch-injured muscle. Muscle Nerve. 2002;25:837-44 pubmed..13), respectively. Therefore, neutrophils may predominate over RAM11(+) macrophages in stretch-injured muscle. These findings may influence the antiinflammatory strategies used to treat stretch injuries. ..
- Goto Y, O DONNELL P. Delayed mesolimbic system alteration in a developmental animal model of schizophrenia. J Neurosci. 2002;22:9070-7 pubmed
- Okumura S, Takagi G, Kawabe J, Yang G, Lee M, Hong C, et al. Disruption of type 5 adenylyl cyclase gene preserves cardiac function against pressure overload. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9986-90 pubmed..Our findings suggest that limiting type 5 AC plays a protective role in response to pressure overload and the development of heart failure, potentially through limiting the incidence of myocardial apoptosis. ..
- Iannotti C, Li H, Yan P, Lu X, Wirthlin L, Xu X. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor-enriched bridging transplants promote propriospinal axonal regeneration and enhance myelination after spinal cord injury. Exp Neurol. 2003;183:379-93 pubmed..These results indicate that GDNF may play a novel therapeutic role in promoting propriospinal axonal regeneration, enhancing myelin formation, and improving graft-host interfaces after SCI. ..
- Shukla S, MacLennan G, Marengo S, Resnick M, Gupta S. Constitutive activation of P I3 K-Akt and NF-kappaB during prostate cancer progression in autochthonous transgenic mouse model. Prostate. 2005;64:224-39 pubmed..Differential expression pattern of P I3 K-Akt, NF-kappaB and I kappaB during prostate cancer progression in TRAMP mice suggest that these molecules represent potential molecular targets for prevention and/or therapeutic intervention. ..
- Wu M, Wallace M, Muir D. Tumorigenic properties of neurofibromin-deficient Schwann cells in culture and as syngrafts in Nf1 knockout mice. J Neurosci Res. 2005;82:357-67 pubmed..In addition, this syngraft model provides a practical means for the controlled induction of neurofibromas, greatly facilitating localized application of therapeutic agents and gene delivery. ..
- Simpanya M, Ansari R, Suh K, Leverenz V, Giblin F. Aggregation of lens crystallins in an in vivo hyperbaric oxygen guinea pig model of nuclear cataract: dynamic light-scattering and HPLC analysis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:4641-51 pubmed..A similar process may be involved in the formation of human nuclear cataract. ..
- Migone F, DeInnocentes P, Smith B, Bird R. Alterations in CDK1 expression and nuclear/nucleolar localization following induction in a spontaneous canine mammary cancer model. J Cell Biochem. 2006;98:504-18 pubmed
- Ryan M, McLemore G, Hendrix S. Insulin resistance and obesity in a mouse model of systemic lupus erythematosus. Hypertension. 2006;48:988-93 pubmed..These data show that the NZBWF1 strain may be an important model to study the effects of obesity and insulin resistance on SLE-associated hypertension. ..
- Butz D, Li G, Huebner S, Cook M. A mechanistic approach to understanding conjugated linoleic acid's role in inflammation using murine models of rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007;293:R669-76 pubmed
- Mathis S, Jala V, Haribabu B. Role of leukotriene B4 receptors in rheumatoid arthritis. Autoimmun Rev. 2007;7:12-7 pubmed
- Huss W, Gray D, Tavakoli K, Marmillion M, Durham L, Johnson M, et al. Origin of androgen-insensitive poorly differentiated tumors in the transgenic adenocarcinoma of mouse prostate model. Neoplasia. 2007;9:938-50 pubmed
- Whitcher L, Klintsova A. Postnatal binge-like alcohol exposure reduces spine density without affecting dendritic morphology in rat mPFC. Synapse. 2008;62:566-73 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that neonatal alcohol exposure has a persistent effect on the spine density in mPFC that can explain functional deficits in this cortical area. ..
- Chao J, Yin H, Gao L, Hagiwara M, Shen B, Yang Z, et al. Tissue kallikrein elicits cardioprotection by direct kinin b2 receptor activation independent of kinin formation. Hypertension. 2008;52:715-20 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to demonstrate that tissue kallikrein directly activates kinin B2 receptor in the absence of kininogen to reduce infarct size, apoptosis, and inflammation and improve cardiac performance of infarcted hearts. ..
- Jiang G, Ke Y, Sun D, Li H, Ihnen M, Jumblatt M, et al. A new model of experimental autoimmune keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) induced in Lewis rat by the autoantigen Klk1b22. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:2245-54 pubmed publisher..This study was designed to generate an inducible autoimmune model of keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) for study of pathogenesis of the disease...
- Marcinkiewcz C, Prado M, Isaac S, Marshall A, Rylkova D, Bruijnzeel A. Corticotropin-releasing factor within the central nucleus of the amygdala and the nucleus accumbens shell mediates the negative affective state of nicotine withdrawal in rats. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009;34:1743-52 pubmed publisher..These studies indicate that the negative emotional state associated with precipitated nicotine withdrawal is at least partly mediated by an increased release of CRF in the CeA and the Nacc shell. ..
- Fortune B, Yang H, Strouthidis N, Cull G, Grimm J, Downs J, et al. The effect of acute intraocular pressure elevation on peripapillary retinal thickness, retinal nerve fiber layer thickness, and retardance. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:4719-26 pubmed publisher..0031). The effects of acute IOP elevation on retinal thickness, RNFL thickness and retardance were minor, limited to the immediate ONH surround and unlikely to have meaningful clinical impact. ..
- Chen A, McEwen M, Sun S, Ravikumar R, Springer J. Proteomic and phosphoproteomic analyses of the soluble fraction following acute spinal cord contusion in rats. J Neurotrauma. 2010;27:263-74 pubmed publisher..These protein changes post injury may suggest additional avenues of investigation into the underlying molecular mechanisms responsible for the pathophysiological consequences of SCI. ..
- Sullivan J, Pardieck J, Hyndman K, Pollock J. Renal NOS activity, expression, and localization in male and female spontaneously hypertensive rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2010;298:R61-9 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the effect of the sex of the animal on NOS activity and expression is different in the three regions of the SHR kidney and supports the hypothesis that male SHR have lower NO bioavailability compared with females...
- Norman G, Karelina K, Morris J, Zhang N, Cochran M, Courtney DeVries A. Social interaction prevents the development of depressive-like behavior post nerve injury in mice: a potential role for oxytocin. Psychosom Med. 2010;72:519-26 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that social interaction significantly alters the affective and neuroinflammatory responses to SNI through a mechanism that could involve oxytocin. ..
- Lu Y, Haldar S, Croce K, Wang Y, Sakuma M, Morooka T, et al. Kruppel-like factor 15 regulates smooth muscle response to vascular injury--brief report. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:1550-2 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, these data are the first to identify KLF15 as a novel inhibitor of VSMC proliferation and migration and to implicate this factor as a critical regulator of the vascular response to injury. ..
- Kuperwasser C, Hurlbut G, Kittrell F, Dickinson E, Laucirica R, Medina D, et al. Development of spontaneous mammary tumors in BALB/c p53 heterozygous mice. A model for Li-Fraumeni syndrome. Am J Pathol. 2000;157:2151-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate the critical role that the p53 tumor suppressor gene plays in preventing tumorigenesis in the mammary gland...
- Uhl E, Heaton Jones T, Pu R, Yamamoto J. FIV vaccine development and its importance to veterinary and human medicine: a review FIV vaccine 2002 update and review. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2002;90:113-32 pubmed..Finally, recommendations are made for unbiased critical testing of new FIV vaccines, the currently USDA approved vaccine, and future vaccines in development. ..
- King M, Coker M, Goldberg A, McElmurray J, Gunasinghe H, Mukherjee R, et al. Selective matrix metalloproteinase inhibition with developing heart failure: effects on left ventricular function and structure. Circ Res. 2003;92:177-85 pubmed..These results suggest that targeting a selective portfolio of myocardial MMP species for inhibition may provide a more rational therapeutic strategy in the setting of congestive heart failure. ..
- Ford M, Yoneyama N, Strong M, Fretwell A, Tanchuck M, Finn D. Inhibition of 5alpha-reduced steroid biosynthesis impedes acquisition of ethanol drinking in male C57BL/6J mice. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2008;32:1408-16 pubmed publisher..Although the exact mechanism is unclear, FIN and other pharmacological interventions that modulate the GABAergic system may prove useful in curbing ethanol intake acquisition in at-risk individuals. ..
- de Beer M, Webb N, Whitaker N, Wroblewski J, Jahangiri A, van der Westhuyzen D, et al. SR-BI selective lipid uptake: subsequent metabolism of acute phase HDL. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1298-303 pubmed publisher..Data indicate that after core and surface HDL lipid perturbation by SR-BI, SAA propels apoA-I to a small lipid-poor form while accelerating HDL metabolism. ..
- Stafstrom C, Ockuly J, Murphree L, Valley M, Roopra A, Sutula T. Anticonvulsant and antiepileptic actions of 2-deoxy-D-glucose in epilepsy models. Ann Neurol. 2009;65:435-47 pubmed publisher..These results identify metabolic regulation as a potential therapeutic target for seizure suppression and modification of epileptogenesis. ..
- Rooney G, Endo T, Ameenuddin S, Chen B, Vaishya S, Gross L, et al. Importance of the vasculature in cyst formation after spinal cord injury. J Neurosurg Spine. 2009;11:432-7 pubmed publisher..0001). In this study, the authors demonstrated the importance of the vasculature in cyst formation after spinal cord trauma and confirmed the importance of dural closure in reducing glial scar formation. ..
- Kapur R, Livingston R, Doggett B, Sweetser D, Siebert J, Palmiter R. Abnormal microenvironmental signals underlie intestinal aganglionosis in Dominant megacolon mutant mice. Dev Biol. 1996;174:360-9 pubmed
- Nork T, Ver Hoeve J, Poulsen G, Nickells R, Davis M, Weber A, et al. Swelling and loss of photoreceptors in chronic human and experimental glaucomas. Arch Ophthalmol. 2000;118:235-45 pubmed..The photoreceptors are affected by chronically elevated intraocular pressure. These findings may explain some of the abnormalities of color vision and the electrophysiological effects that have been observed in patients with POAG. ..
- Nath K, Shah V, Haggard J, Croatt A, Smith L, Hebbel R, et al. Mechanisms of vascular instability in a transgenic mouse model of sickle cell disease. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2000;279:R1949-55 pubmed..Destabilization of the vasoactive balance in the sickle vasculature by clinically relevant states may predispose to vasoocclusive disease. ..
- Deleo T, Hashizume H, Rutkowski M, Weinstein T. Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor SC-236 attenuates mechanical allodynia following nerve root injury in rats. J Orthop Res. 2000;18:977-82 pubmed..In addition, these data support continued basic science research to further elucidate central inflammatory processes that follow nerve root injury. ..
- Lin F, Spencer D, Hatala D, Levine A, Medof M. Decay-accelerating factor deficiency increases susceptibility to dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis: role for complement in inflammatory bowel disease. J Immunol. 2004;172:3836-41 pubmed
- Narasaraju T, Chen H, Weng T, Bhaskaran M, Jin N, Chen J, et al. Expression profile of IGF system during lung injury and recovery in rats exposed to hyperoxia: a possible role of IGF-1 in alveolar epithelial cell proliferation and differentiation. J Cell Biochem. 2006;97:984-98 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that the IGF signaling pathway plays a critical role in proliferation and differentiation of alveolar epithelium during tissue remodeling. ..
- Fortun J, Go J, Li J, Amici S, Dunn W, Notterpek L. Alterations in degradative pathways and protein aggregation in a neuropathy model based on PMP22 overexpression. Neurobiol Dis. 2006;22:153-64 pubmed