Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animal disease models in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: animal disease models
Publications154 found, 100 shown here
- Oz H, Ebersole J. A novel murine model for chronic inflammatory alveolar bone loss. J Periodontal Res. 2010;45:94-9 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to evaluate the ability of these chemicals to elicit periodontal inflammation as a novel model for alveolar bone loss...
- Prongay K, Lewis A, Hurn P, Murphy S. Dietary soy may not confound acute experimental stroke infarct volume outcomes in ovariectomized female rats. Lab Anim. 2010;44:238-46 pubmed publisher..More studies addressing the potential confounding effects of dietary soy in 'oestrogen-sensitive' stroke models are needed if investigators are to make informed choices regarding diets used in experimental stroke research. ..
- Quenelle D, Lampert B, Collins D, Rice T, Painter G, Kern E. Efficacy of CMX001 against herpes simplex virus infections in mice and correlations with drug distribution studies. J Infect Dis. 2010;202:1492-9 pubmed publisher..These studies indicate that CMX001 penetrates the blood-brain barrier, is a potent inhibitor of HSV replication in disseminated infections and central nervous system infections, and is superior to acyclovir. ..
- Coler R, Skeiky Y, Bernards K, Greeson K, Carter D, Cornellison C, et al. Immunization with a polyprotein vaccine consisting of the T-Cell antigens thiol-specific antioxidant, Leishmania major stress-inducible protein 1, and Leishmania elongation initiation factor protects against leishmaniasis. Infect Immun. 2002;70:4215-25 pubmed
- Cataldo A, Petanceska S, Peterhoff C, Terio N, Epstein C, Villar A, et al. App gene dosage modulates endosomal abnormalities of Alzheimer's disease in a segmental trisomy 16 mouse model of down syndrome. J Neurosci. 2003;23:6788-92 pubmed..These results identify an essential role for App gene triplication in causing AD-related endosomal abnormalities and further establish the pathogenic significance of endosomal dysfunction in AD. ..
- Prabhune K, Gorantla V, Perez Abadia G, Francois C, Vossen M, Laurentin Perez L, et al. Composite tissue allotransplantation in chimeric hosts part II. A clinically relevant protocol to induce tolerance in a rat model. Transplantation. 2003;76:1548-55 pubmed..This study eliminates this delay period in a rat hind limb allotransplantation model by performing mixed allogeneic chimerism induction and transplantation "simultaneously."..
- Davis L, Widness J, Brace R. Renal and placental secretion of erythropoietin during anemia or hypoxia in the ovine fetus. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003;189:1764-70 pubmed..As an extension of these findings, we speculate that the hypoproliferative neonatal anemia that invariably occurs in the early weeks after birth is in part the result of loss of EPO production by the placenta. ..
- Goldstein R, Khrestian C, Carlsson L, Waldo A. Azd7009: a new antiarrhythmic drug with predominant effects on the atria effectively terminates and prevents reinduction of atrial fibrillation and flutter in the sterile pericarditis model. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2004;15:1444-50 pubmed..AZD7009 is highly efficacious in terminating AF/AFL and preventing reinduction in this model. It exhibits marked effects on atrial electrophysiology but has only modest effects on the ventricle. ..
- Stromnes I, GOVERMAN J. Passive induction of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. Nat Protoc. 2006;1:1952-60 pubmed..This protocol describes passive induction of EAE by adoptive transfer of T cells isolated from mice primed with myelin antigens into naïve mice. The advantages of using this method versus active induction of EAE are discussed. ..
- Nguyen C, Hu M, Li Y, Stewart C, Peck A. Salivary gland tissue expression of interleukin-23 and interleukin-17 in Sjögren's syndrome: findings in humans and mice. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:734-43 pubmed publisher..NOD-Aec1Aec2 mice and SS patients at the time of disease. A correlation between up-regulated IL-17/IL-23 expression and specific clinical manifestations of SS has yet to be identified. ..
- Mishra P, Tyagi N, Sen U, Givvimani S, Tyagi S. H2S ameliorates oxidative and proteolytic stresses and protects the heart against adverse remodeling in chronic heart failure. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;298:H451-6 pubmed publisher..The levels of ADAM-12, apoptosis, and fibrosis were robust and integrin were decreased in AVF hearts. The treatment with H(2)S donor attenuated the fibrosis, apoptosis, and decrease in integrin. ..
- Baatar D, Jones M, Tsugawa K, Pai R, Moon W, Koh G, et al. Esophageal ulceration triggers expression of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha and activates vascular endothelial growth factor gene: implications for angiogenesis and ulcer healing. Am J Pathol. 2002;161:1449-57 pubmed
- Osband A, Deitch E, Hauser C, Lu Q, Zaets S, Berezina T, et al. Albumin protects against gut-induced lung injury in vitro and in vivo. Ann Surg. 2004;240:331-9 pubmed..01). In contrast, albumin treatment did not prevent T/HS-induced gut injury. Low-dose albumin protects against gut lymph-induced lung, HUVEC, and RBC injury by neutralizing T/HS lymph toxicity. ..
- Flessner M, Choi J, Vanpelt H, He Z, Credit K, Henegar J, et al. Correlating structure with solute and water transport in a chronic model of peritoneal inflammation. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;290:F232-40 pubmed..331 +/- 0.028; G, 0.286 +/- 0.026; NAG, 0.229 +/- 0.025; P < 0.04). We conclude that alteration of the interstitial matrix correlates with diminished hydraulic conductivity and macromolecular transport. ..
- Yoshida K, Kondo R, Wang Q, Doerschuk C. Neutrophil cytoskeletal rearrangements during capillary sequestration in bacterial pneumonia in rats. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:689-98 pubmed
- Wuthrich M, Finkel Jimenez B, Brandhorst T, Filutowicz H, Warner T, Klein B. Analysis of non-adhesive pathogenic mechanisms of BAD1 on Blastomyces dermatitidis. Med Mycol. 2006;44:41-9 pubmed..dermatitidis by also deviating host adaptive immunity, and leukocyte responses...
- Kitzman P, Uhl T, Dwyer M. Gabapentin suppresses spasticity in the spinal cord-injured rat. Neuroscience. 2007;149:813-21 pubmed..Gabapentin diminishes both the behavioral and electrophysiological manifestation of SCI-induced spasticity, in the tail musculature, in a time dependent manner. ..
- Wood H, Kuang M, Woo L, Hijaz A, Butler R, Penn M, et al. Cytokine expression after vaginal distention of different durations in virgin Sprague-Dawley rats. J Urol. 2008;180:753-9 pubmed publisher..The increase in hypoxia-inducible factor1alpha expression in the urethra with prolonged vaginal distention suggests a limited role of tissue ischemia in the immediate response of pelvic organs to vaginal distention. ..
- Sathyanarayana S, Carlier S, Li W, Thomas L. Characterisation of atherosclerotic plaque by spectral similarity of radiofrequency intravascular ultrasound signals. EuroIntervention. 2009;5:133-9 pubmed..Promising results were demonstrated in a live animal model. This approach may have potential for accurate and reproducible plaque characterisation in vivo. ..
- Counihan J, Fried B, Sherma J. Effects of Echinostoma caproni infection on the neutral and polar lipids of intestinal and non-intestinal organs in the BALB/c mouse as determined by high-performance thin-layer chromatography. Parasitol Res. 2010;107:947-53 pubmed publisher..05), with about twice the amount of PE in mice infected with E. caproni relative to the uninfected mice. No significant differences in any of the neutral lipid classes were found between infected and uninfected samples...
- Verbois S, Scheff S, Pauly J. Time-dependent changes in rat brain cholinergic receptor expression after experimental brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2002;19:1569-85 pubmed..Persistent deficits in alpha7* nAChr expression following TBI may contribute to impaired functional outcome following brain injury. ..
- Gaetke L, Oz H, de Villiers W, Varilek G, Frederich R. The leptin defense against wasting is abolished in the IL-2-deficient mouse model of inflammatory bowel disease. J Nutr. 2002;132:893-6 pubmed..These data show abnormal leptin responses in IL-2(-/-) mice with increased leptin concentrations disproportionate to fat mass and prevention of the normal decline in leptin with food restriction. ..
- Jones K, Krous H, Nadeau J, Blackbourne B, Zielke H, Gozal D. Vascular endothelial growth factor in the cerebrospinal fluid of infants who died of sudden infant death syndrome: evidence for antecedent hypoxia. Pediatrics. 2003;111:358-63 pubmed..We conclude that VEGF CSF concentrations are significantly higher in infants who die of SIDS. We postulate that hypoxia is a frequent event that precedes the sudden and unexpected death of these infants. ..
- Liao T, Ke Y, Shao W, Haribabu B, Kaplan H, Sun D, et al. Blockade of the interaction of leukotriene b4 with its receptor prevents development of autoimmune uveitis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:1543-9 pubmed..The results demonstrate a critical role for LTB4 in ocular inflammation and in the development and progression of EAU and suggest a new potential target for therapeutic intervention in this disease. ..
- Wolf K, Wood S, Allard J, Hunt J, Gorman N, Walton Strong B, et al. Role of CYP3A and CYP2E1 in alcohol-mediated increases in acetaminophen hepatotoxicity: comparison of wild-type and Cyp2e1(-/-) mice. Drug Metab Dispos. 2007;35:1223-31 pubmed..In conclusion, these findings suggest that both CYP3A and CYP2E1 contribute to APAP hepatotoxicity in alcohol-treated mice. ..
- Katzman S, Fowell D. Pathogen-imposed skewing of mouse chemokine and cytokine expression at the infected tissue site. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:801-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, pathogens may edit the LN cytokine repertoire through differential recruitment of cytokine-producing cells...
- Whidden M, McClung J, Falk D, Hudson M, Smuder A, Nelson W, et al. Xanthine oxidase contributes to mechanical ventilation-induced diaphragmatic oxidative stress and contractile dysfunction. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;106:385-94 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, the failure of XO inhibition to completely prevent MV-induced diaphragmatic oxidative damage suggests that other sources of oxidant production are active in the diaphragm during prolonged MV. ..
- Bartoli M, Al Shabrawey M, Labazi M, Behzadian M, Istanboli M, El Remessy A, et al. HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statin) prevents retinal neovascularization in a model of oxygen-induced retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:4934-40 pubmed publisher..01). These data suggest the beneficial effects of statin treatment in preventing retinal neovascularization. These beneficial effects appear to result from the anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of statins. ..
- Barrier M, Dix D, Mirkes P. Inducible 70 kDa heat shock proteins protect embryos from teratogen-induced exencephaly: Analysis using Hspa1a/a1b knockout mice. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2009;85:732-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, these results also suggest that Hspa1a and Hspa1b play an important role in protecting embryos from hyperthermia-induced congenital defects, possibly by reducing hyperthermia-induced apoptosis. ..
- Muthu K, Deng J, Gamelli R, Shankar R, Jones S. Adrenergic modulation of cytokine release in bone marrow progenitor-derived macrophage following polymicrobial sepsis. J Neuroimmunol. 2005;158:50-7 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that epinephrine can promote a potent antiinflammatory response in sepsis. ..
- Gitiban N, Jurcisek J, Harris R, Mertz S, Durbin R, Bakaletz L, et al. Chinchilla and murine models of upper respiratory tract infections with respiratory syncytial virus. J Virol. 2005;79:6035-42 pubmed..Ultimately, we hope to investigate the relative ability of these candidates to potentially protect against viral predisposal to bacterial OM...
- Gao J, Chang Chua C, Chen Z, Wang H, Xu X, C Hamdy R, et al. Resistin, an adipocytokine, offers protection against acute myocardial infarction. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2007;43:601-9 pubmed..Our results show that resistin can dramatically reduce apoptosis and infarct size, thus protecting the heart against I/R injury. ..
- Pang Y, Zheng B, Campbell L, Fan L, Cai Z, Rhodes P. IGF-1 can either protect against or increase LPS-induced damage in the developing rat brain. Pediatr Res. 2010;67:579-84 pubmed publisher..However, these adverse effects were not found in rats treated with IGF-1 alone. This study provides the alarming evidence that in an acute inflammatory condition, IGF-1 may have severe, harmful effects on the developing brain. ..
- Zhao Y, Xue Y, Oberley T, Kiningham K, Lin S, Yen H, et al. Overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase suppresses tumor formation by modulation of activator protein-1 signaling in a multistage skin carcinogenesis model. Cancer Res. 2001;61:6082-8 pubmed
- Kielian T, Cheung A, Hickey W. Diminished virulence of an alpha-toxin mutant of Staphylococcus aureus in experimental brain abscesses. Infect Immun. 2001;69:6902-11 pubmed..aureus intracellularly, providing a means by which the organism may establish chronic infections in the brain. Together, these data identify alpha-toxin as a key virulence determinant for the survival of S. aureus in the brain. ..
- Apetrei C, Lerche N, Pandrea I, Gormus B, Silvestri G, Kaur A, et al. Kuru experiments triggered the emergence of pathogenic SIVmac. AIDS. 2006;20:317-21 pubmed
- Sommerich C, Lavender S, Buford J, J Banks J, Korkmaz S, Pease W. Towards development of a nonhuman primate model of carpal tunnel syndrome: performance of a voluntary, repetitive pinching task induces median mononeuropathy in Macaca fascicularis. J Orthop Res. 2007;25:713-24 pubmed..In the future, this new animal model could be used to characterize dose-response relationships between risk factors and carpal tunnel syndrome...
- Saylor A, McGinty J. Amphetamine-induced locomotion and gene expression are altered in BDNF heterozygous mice. Genes Brain Behav. 2008;7:906-14 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that BDNF modifies the locomotor responses of mice to acute amphetamine and differentially regulates amphetamine-induced gene expression. ..
- Rosenzweig H, Galster K, Planck S, Rosenbaum J. NOD1 expression in the eye and functional contribution to IL-1beta-dependent ocular inflammation in mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:1746-53 pubmed publisher..Characterizing the differences between NOD1 and NOD2 responses may provide insight into the pathogenesis of uveitis. ..
- Steenbergen J, Mohr J, Thorne G. Effects of daptomycin in combination with other antimicrobial agents: a review of in vitro and animal model studies. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009;64:1130-8 pubmed publisher..e. osteomyelitis and implant infections, where rifampicin combinations with daptomycin increased efficacy and reduced the incidence of rifampicin resistance...
- Yu C, Yezierski R, Joshi A, Raza K, Li Y, Geddes J. Involvement of ERK2 in traumatic spinal cord injury. J Neurochem. 2010;113:131-42 pubmed publisher..05), and gray matter sparing (p < 0.05) 6 weeks following severe contusive SCI. Our results suggest that ERK2 signaling is a novel target associated with the deleterious consequences of spinal injury. ..
- Dennis V, Lowrie R, Osae Addo G, Blanchard J. Microfilarial densities, hematologic changes, and serum antibody levels in Loa loa-infected rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1993;49:763-71 pubmed..This study shows that splenectomy of rhesus monkeys prior to L. loa inoculation does not enhance the microfilarial density nor does it adversely affect eosinophilia or antibody production.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Nabozny G, Baisch J, Cheng S, Cosgrove D, Griffiths M, Luthra H, et al. HLA-DQ8 transgenic mice are highly susceptible to collagen-induced arthritis: a novel model for human polyarthritis. J Exp Med. 1996;183:27-37 pubmed..Therefore, these results strongly suggest that HLA-DQ8 molecules contribute to genetic susceptibility to arthritis and also establish a novel animal model for the study of human arthritis. ..
- Oster Granite M, McPhie D, Greenan J, Neve R. Age-dependent neuronal and synaptic degeneration in mice transgenic for the C terminus of the amyloid precursor protein. J Neurosci. 1996;16:6732-41 pubmed..The 45 control mice displayed only occasional necrotic cells and no extensive cell degeneration in the same brain regions. These findings show that APP-C100 is capable of causing some of the neuropathological features of AD. ..
- Lovely R, Boshkov L, Marzec U, Hanson S, Farrell D. Fibrinogen gamma' chain carboxy terminal peptide selectively inhibits the intrinsic coagulation pathway. Br J Haematol. 2007;139:494-503 pubmed..These results indicate that binding of thrombin exosite II by the gamma' peptide has selective effects on the intrinsic pathway. ..
- Curtis L, Agarwal A. HOpe for contrast-induced acute kidney injury. Kidney Int. 2007;72:907-9 pubmed..have demonstrated for the first time that heme oxygenase-1, a 32-kilodalton protein with antioxidant, antiapoptotic, anti-inflammatory effects, is induced in the kidney and, importantly, provides a beneficial effect in CIN. ..
- Wan S, Zhou Z, Duan B, Morel L. Direct B cell stimulation by dendritic cells in a mouse model of lupus. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:1741-50 pubmed publisher..Increased sIL-6R production suggests that increased sensitivity to IL-6 may be involved. ..
- Adhami V, Siddiqui I, Sarfaraz S, Khwaja S, Hafeez B, Ahmad N, et al. Effective prostate cancer chemopreventive intervention with green tea polyphenols in the TRAMP model depends on the stage of the disease. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:1947-53 pubmed publisher..Our studies indicate that chemopreventive potential of GTP decreases with advancing stage of the disease and underscore the need to design appropriate chemoprevention clinical trails. ..
- Murray P, McGavern D, Lin X, Njenga M, Leibowitz J, Pease L, et al. Perforin-dependent neurologic injury in a viral model of multiple sclerosis. J Neurosci. 1998;18:7306-14 pubmed..These studies implicate perforin release by CD8(+) T cells as a potential mechanism by which neurologic deficits are induced after demyelination. ..
- La Perle K, Jhiang S, Capen C. Loss of p53 promotes anaplasia and local invasion in ret/PTC1-induced thyroid carcinomas. Am J Pathol. 2000;157:671-7 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that the lack of functional p53 in ret/PTC1 mice promotes anaplasia and invasiveness of thyroid carcinomas...
- Lineaweaver W, Lei M, Mustain W, Oswald T, Cui D, Zhang F. Vascular endothelium growth factor, surgical delay, and skin flap survival. Ann Surg. 2004;239:866-73; discussion 873-5 pubmed..These results correlate with previous studies showing the preoperative injection of VEGF increases skin paddle survival. VEGF may be an important element in the delay phenomenon and may be an agent for pharmacological delay. ..
- King T, Lampe P. The gap junction protein connexin32 is a mouse lung tumor suppressor. Cancer Res. 2004;64:7191-6 pubmed..001) compared with wild-type tumors, implicating this signaling pathway in Cx32/gap junction intercellular communication-associated lung tumorigenesis. ..
- Liu M, Stevens Lapsley J, Jayaraman A, Ye F, Conover C, Walter G, et al. Impact of treadmill locomotor training on skeletal muscle IGF1 and myogenic regulatory factors in spinal cord injured rats. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010;109:709-20 pubmed publisher..Training-induced muscle regeneration and fiber hypertrophy following SCI was associated with an increase in IGF1, an increase in Pax7 positive nuclei, and upregulation of MRFs. ..
- Mandell J, Neuberger T, Drapaca C, Webb A, Schiff S. The dynamics of brain and cerebrospinal fluid growth in normal versus hydrocephalic mice. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2010;6:1-10 pubmed publisher..By measuring brain volumes, distinct patterns of brain growth and enlargement can be observed, which are more likely linked to cognitive development and clinical outcome than fluid volumes alone. ..
- London L, Majeski E, Paintlia M, Harley R, London S. Respiratory reovirus 1/L induction of diffuse alveolar damage: a model of acute respiratory distress syndrome. Exp Mol Pathol. 2002;72:24-36 pubmed..Reovirus 1/L infection of CBA/J mice will allow investigations of the pathophysiology of ARDS as it progresses from the initial stages of edema and neutrophilia to fibrotic lesion development in late stages...
- Cook C, Zhang Y, McGuinness B, Lahm M, Sedmak D, Ferguson R. Intra-abdominal bacterial infection reactivates latent pulmonary cytomegalovirus in immunocompetent mice. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:1395-400 pubmed..The mechanism of this reactivation is unknown but likely involves cytokines induced by sepsis. ..
- Badie B, Schartner J, Hagar A, Prabakaran S, Peebles T, Bartley B, et al. Microglia cyclooxygenase-2 activity in experimental gliomas: possible role in cerebral edema formation. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;9:872-7 pubmed
- Pang J, Chang B, Hawes N, Hurd R, Davisson M, Li J, et al. Retinal degeneration 12 (rd12): a new, spontaneously arising mouse model for human Leber congenital amaurosis (LCA). Mol Vis. 2005;11:152-62 pubmed..A naturally arising mouse Rpe65 mutation provides a good model for studying the pathology of human RPE65 mutations and the effects of retinyl ester accumulation. ..
- Borst S, Conover C. Orchiectomized Fischer 344 male rat models body composition in hypogonadal state. Life Sci. 2006;79:411-5 pubmed..We conclude that the F344 rat displays a broad range of catabolic effects following ORX and is the best rat model for studying the androgenic pathway and strategies for reversing catabolic changes induced by hypogonadism. ..
- Ferreira A, Takagawa S, Fresco R, Zhu X, Varga J, DiPietro L. Diminished induction of skin fibrosis in mice with MCP-1 deficiency. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126:1900-8 pubmed..7 nm). The findings implicate MCP-1 as a key determinant in the development of skin fibrosis induced by bleomycin, and suggest that MCP-1 may influence collagen fiber formation in vivo. ..
- Martin P. Congenital muscular dystrophies involving the O-mannose pathway. Curr Mol Med. 2007;7:417-25 pubmed..These findings suggest that a common approach to therapy in muscular dystrophies may be to increase the glycosylation of dystroglycan with particular glycan structures. ..
- Kosugi T, Nakayama T, Li Q, Chiodo V, Zhang L, Campbell Thompson M, et al. Soluble Flt-1 gene therapy ameliorates albuminuria but accelerates tubulointerstitial injury in diabetic mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;298:F609-16 pubmed publisher..These data suggest systemic overexpression of sFlt-1 will not likely be useful for treating diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Lednicky J, Hamilton S, Tuttle R, Sosna W, Daniels D, Swayne D. Ferrets develop fatal influenza after inhaling small particle aerosols of highly pathogenic avian influenza virus A/Vietnam/1203/2004 (H5N1). Virol J. 2010;7:231 pubmed publisher..Clinical signs appeared earlier in animals infected through inhalation of aerosolized virus compared to those infected through intranasal instillation. ..
- Basso D. Neuroanatomical substrates of functional recovery after experimental spinal cord injury: implications of basic science research for human spinal cord injury. Phys Ther. 2000;80:808-17 pubmed..Body weight supported treadmill step training is discussed as an example of new facilitatory interventions based on basic science research using animal models. ..
- Gross S, Goodarzi G, Watabe M, Bandyopadhyay S, Pai S, Watabe K. Antineoplastic activity of Solidago virgaurea on prostatic tumor cells in an SCID mouse model. Nutr Cancer. 2002;43:76-81 pubmed..The growth of the tumor was significantly suppressed by the G-100 fraction at 5 mg/kg without any apparent side effects. Therefore, S. virgaurea is considered to be promising as an antineoplastic medicine with minimal toxicities...
- Martinka S, Bruggeman L. Persistent NF-kappaB activation in renal epithelial cells in a mouse model of HIV-associated nephropathy. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;290:F657-65 pubmed..In addition, because NF-kappaB regulates many aspects of inflammation, this dysregulation may also contribute to disease severity and progression through regulation of proinflammatory processes in the kidney microenvironment...
- Clarke C, Plata C, Cole B, Tsuchiya K, La Spada A, Kapur R. Visceral neuropathy and intestinal pseudo-obstruction in a murine model of a nuclear inclusion disease. Gastroenterology. 2007;133:1971-8 pubmed..Because enteric neuropathology in PrP-SCA7-92Q animals is easily missed by routine histopathology, quantitative immunohistochemical approaches may be required to recognize analogous forms of human enteric neuropathy. ..
- Farook J, Krazem A, Lewis B, Morrell D, Littleton J, Barron S. Acamprosate attenuates the handling induced convulsions during alcohol withdrawal in Swiss Webster mice. Physiol Behav. 2008;95:267-270 pubmed publisher..05). This study supports the use of acamprosate during periods of alcohol withdrawal as well as during abstinence...
- Toda S, McGinty J, Kalivas P. Repeated cocaine administration alters the expression of genes in corticolimbic circuitry after a 3-week withdrawal: a DNA macroarray study. J Neurochem. 2002;82:1290-9 pubmed..These changes of gene expression in corticolimbic circuitry may contribute to the psychostimulant-induced behavioral changes associated with addiction. ..
- Rimer M, Barrett D, Maldonado M, Vock V, Gonzalez Lima F. Neuregulin-1 immunoglobulin-like domain mutant mice: clozapine sensitivity and impaired latent inhibition. Neuroreport. 2005;16:271-5 pubmed..These results suggest that Ig-Nrg-1's contribute to some - but not all - aspects of the schizophrenia-like phenotype of nrg-1 mutants, and further support nrg-1 as a candidate gene for schizophrenia. ..
- Hauser C. Preclinical models of traumatic, hemorrhagic shock. Shock. 2005;24 Suppl 1:24-32 pubmed
- Ramesh Babu J, Lamar Seibenhener M, Peng J, Strom A, Kemppainen R, Cox N, et al. Genetic inactivation of p62 leads to accumulation of hyperphosphorylated tau and neurodegeneration. J Neurochem. 2008;106:107-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, these findings provide new insight into manifestation of sporadic Alzheimer disease and the impact of obesity. ..
- Horn K, Busch S, Hawthorne A, Van Rooijen N, Silver J. Another barrier to regeneration in the CNS: activated macrophages induce extensive retraction of dystrophic axons through direct physical interactions. J Neurosci. 2008;28:9330-41 pubmed publisher..Our data are the first to indicate a direct role of activated macrophages in axonal retraction by physical cell-cell interactions with injured axons. ..
- Nikodemova M, Lee J, Fabry Z, Duncan I. Minocycline attenuates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in rats by reducing T cell infiltration into the spinal cord. J Neuroimmunol. 2010;219:33-7 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that minocycline regulates T cell infiltration into the CNS without modifying the dominant cytokine production. ..
- Goldman N, Chen M, Fujita T, Xu Q, Peng W, Liu W, et al. Adenosine A1 receptors mediate local anti-nociceptive effects of acupuncture. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:883-8 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that adenosine mediates the effects of acupuncture and that interfering with adenosine metabolism may prolong the clinical benefit of acupuncture. ..
- Berman N, Marcario J, Yong C, Raghavan R, Raymond L, Joag S, et al. Microglial activation and neurological symptoms in the SIV model of NeuroAIDS: association of MHC-II and MMP-9 expression with behavioral deficits and evoked potential changes. Neurobiol Dis. 1999;6:486-98 pubmed..Thus, increases in MHC-II and MMP-9 expression are associated with development of cognitive and motor deficits, alterations in evoked potentials, and rapid disease progression...
- Talbott J, Loy D, Liu Y, Qiu M, Bunge M, Rao M, et al. Endogenous Nkx2.2+/Olig2+ oligodendrocyte precursor cells fail to remyelinate the demyelinated adult rat spinal cord in the absence of astrocytes. Exp Neurol. 2005;192:11-24 pubmed..In vivo electrophysiology demonstrated a limited and unsustained functional recovery concurrent with endogenous remyelination following EB-induced lesions. ..
- McMullen M, Pritchard M, Wang Q, Millward C, Croniger C, Nagy L. Early growth response-1 transcription factor is essential for ethanol-induced fatty liver injury in mice. Gastroenterology. 2005;128:2066-76 pubmed..These data show that Egr-1 contributes to increased LPS-mediated TNF-alpha expression after chronic ethanol and that the absence of Egr-1 prevents chronic ethanol-induced fatty liver, as well as increased sensitivity to LPS. ..
- Zhang M, Michael L, Grosjean S, Kelly R, Carroll M, Entman M. The role of natural IgM in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2006;41:62-7 pubmed..These results support a model in which natural IgM initiates the acute inflammatory response in the myocardium following ischemia and reperfusion. ..
- Sekine H, Graham K, Zhao S, Elliott M, Ruiz P, Utz P, et al. Role of MHC-linked genes in autoantigen selection and renal disease in a murine model of systemic lupus erythematosus. J Immunol. 2006;177:7423-34 pubmed..These results indicate that genes encoded within or closely linked to the MHC region regulate autoantigen selection and isotype switching to IgG3 but have minimal effect on end-organ damage or survival in MRL/lpr mice. ..
- Job M, Tang A, Hall F, Sora I, Uhl G, Bergeson S, et al. Mu (mu) opioid receptor regulation of ethanol-induced dopamine response in the ventral striatum: evidence of genotype specific sexual dimorphic epistasis. Biol Psychiatry. 2007;62:627-34 pubmed..This implies that a more complete understanding of the epistatic influences on the MOP receptor and mesolimbic dopamine function may provide more effective pharmacotherapeutic interventions in the treatment of alcoholism. ..
- Lu Y, Zhang H, Gokina N, Mandala M, Sato O, Ikebe M, et al. Uterine artery myosin phosphatase isoform switching and increased sensitivity to SNP in a rat L-NAME model of hypertension of pregnancy. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;294:C564-71 pubmed..We propose that MYPT1 isoform switching is an adaptive response to reduce vascular resistance and maintain uterine blood flow in the setting of hypertension-triggered inward remodeling of the UAs in hypertension of pregnancy. ..
- Whitaker C, Beaumont E, Wells M, Magnuson D, Hetman M, Onifer S. Rolipram attenuates acute oligodendrocyte death in the adult rat ventrolateral funiculus following contusive cervical spinal cord injury. Neurosci Lett. 2008;438:200-4 pubmed publisher..They also indicate that further investigations into neuroprotection and axonal regeneration with rolipram are warranted for treating SCI. ..
- Xing D, Feng W, Nöt L, Miller A, Zhang Y, Chen Y, et al. Increased protein O-GlcNAc modification inhibits inflammatory and neointimal responses to acute endoluminal arterial injury. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;295:H335-42 pubmed publisher..Augmenting O-GlcNAc modification of proteins in the vasculature may represent a novel anti-inflammatory and vasoprotective mechanism...
- Rosenzweig H, Martin T, Planck S, Galster K, Jann M, Davey M, et al. Activation of NOD2 in vivo induces IL-1beta production in the eye via caspase-1 but results in ocular inflammation independently of IL-1 signaling. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;84:529-36 pubmed publisher..This report reveals a new in vivo function of NOD2 within the eye yet importantly, distinguishes NOD2-dependent from NALP3-dependent inflammation, as ocular inflammation in mice occurred independently of IL-1beta. ..
- Kozell L, Walter N, MILNER L, Wickman K, Buck K. Mapping a barbiturate withdrawal locus to a 0.44 Mb interval and analysis of a novel null mutant identify a role for Kcnj9 (GIRK3) in withdrawal from pentobarbital, zolpidem, and ethanol. J Neurosci. 2009;29:11662-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results will be primary to additional efforts to identify genes involved in a wide variety of behavioral responses to sedative-hypnotics and may directly facilitate progress in human genetics. ..
- Cunningham D, Talabere T, Bir N, Kennedy M, McBride K, Herman G. Significant contributions of the extraembryonic membranes and maternal genotype to the placental pathology in heterozygous Nsdhl deficient female embryos. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:364-73 pubmed publisher..283 mm(2); P = 0.024). These data demonstrate significant effects of the mother and fetal membranes on pregnancy outcome, with possible implications for cholesterol homeostasis during human pregnancy. ..