Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on amino acid sequence in United Kingdom
Locale: United Kingdom
Topic: amino acid sequence
Publications427 found, 100 shown here
- Guettler S, Vartiainen M, Miralles F, Larijani B, Treisman R. RPEL motifs link the serum response factor cofactor MAL but not myocardin to Rho signaling via actin binding. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:732-42 pubmed..We propose that differential actin occupancy of multiple RPEL motifs regulates nucleocytoplasmic transport and activity of MAL. ..
- Tate C, Muiry J, Henderson P. Mapping, cloning, expression, and sequencing of the rhaT gene, which encodes a novel L-rhamnose-H+ transport protein in Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:6923-32 pubmed..Both rhaT genes encoded a hydrophobic protein of 344 amino acids (91% identical) that contained 10 putative transmembrane regions. The RhaT protein represents a novel class of sugar transport protein. ..
- Fielding P, Lambden P, Caul E, Clarke I. Molecular characterization of the outer capsid spike protein (VP4) gene from human group C rotavirus. Virology. 1994;204:442-6 pubmed..quot; In contrast the very close similarity of the VP4 sequences of the UK and Brazilian group C rotaviruses support the hypothesis that these human isolates originate from a recent common ancestor. ..
- Smith P, Davies A, Crumpton M, Moss S. Structure of the human annexin VI gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:2713-7 pubmed..The latter exon is alternatively spliced, giving rise to two annexin VI isoforms that differ with respect to a 6-amino acid insertion at the start of repeat 7. ..
- Gutierrez Marcos J, Roberts M, Campbell E, Wray J. Three members of a novel small gene-family from Arabidopsis thaliana able to complement functionally an Escherichia coli mutant defective in PAPS reductase activity encode proteins with a thioredoxin-like domain and "APS reductase" activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:13377-82 pubmed
- Edwardson J, An S, Jahn R. The secretory granule protein syncollin binds to syntaxin in a Ca2(+)-sensitive manner. Cell. 1997;90:325-33 pubmed..We suggest that syncollin acts as a Ca2(+)-sensitive regulator of exocytosis in exocrine tissues. ..
- Catalano R, Hillhouse E, Vlad M. Developmental expression and characterization of FS39, a testis complementary DNA encoding an intermediate filament-related protein of the sperm fibrous sheath. Biol Reprod. 2001;65:277-87 pubmed..These results demonstrate that FS39 is transcribed in testis tissue during the haploid phase of spermatogenesis, is present in mature sperm, and codes for a novel 39-kDa intermediate filament-related protein of the fibrous sheath. ..
- Alonso C, Maxton Kuechenmeister J, Akam M. Evolution of Ftz protein function in insects. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1473-8 pubmed..These findings argue that this ftz CNS function is mediated by conserved parts of the protein, while efficient pair-rule function requires sequences present specifically in the Drosophila protein. ..
- Riffel N, Harlos K, Iourin O, Rao Z, Kingsman A, Stuart D, et al. Atomic resolution structure of Moloney murine leukemia virus matrix protein and its relationship to other retroviral matrix proteins. Structure. 2002;10:1627-36 pubmed..The protein fold appears to be maintained, in part, by the conservation of side chain packing, which may provide a useful tool for searching for weak distant similarities in proteins. ..
- Smallridge R, Whiteman P, Werner J, Campbell I, Handford P, Downing A. Solution structure and dynamics of a calcium binding epidermal growth factor-like domain pair from the neonatal region of human fibrillin-1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:12199-206 pubmed..These results provide important insight into the potential consequences of MFS-associated mutations for the assembly and biomechanical properties of connective tissue microfibrils. ..
- Barbash D, Siino D, Tarone A, Roote J. A rapidly evolving MYB-related protein causes species isolation in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:5302-7 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that hybrid lethality may result from disruptions in gene regulation, and we also propose that rapid evolution may be a hallmark of speciation genes in general...
- Shiels B, McKellar S, Katzer F, Lyons K, Kinnaird J, Ward C, et al. A Theileria annulata DNA binding protein localized to the host cell nucleus alters the phenotype of a bovine macrophage cell line. Eukaryot Cell. 2004;3:495-505 pubmed..Our findings indicate that Theileria parasite molecules that are transported to the leukocyte nucleus have the potential to modulate the phenotype of infected cells...
- Foster Cuevas M, Wright G, Puklavec M, Brown M, Barclay A. Human herpesvirus 8 K14 protein mimics CD200 in down-regulating macrophage activation through CD200 receptor. J Virol. 2004;78:7667-76 pubmed..We conclude that CD200 delivers local down-modulatory signals to myeloid cells through direct cell-cell contact and that the K14 viral homologue closely mimics this. ..
- Garnett M, Marais R. Guilty as charged: B-RAF is a human oncogene. Cancer Cell. 2004;6:313-9 pubmed..Here we review the rapid progress made in our understanding of B-RAF as an oncogene and of its role in cancer. ..
- Messenger N, Kabitschke C, Andrews R, Grimmer D, Nunez Miguel R, Blundell T, et al. Functional specificity of the Xenopus T-domain protein Brachyury is conferred by its ability to interact with Smad1. Dev Cell. 2005;8:599-610 pubmed..These findings suggest a mechanism by which individual T-domain proteins may interact with different partners to elicit a specific response. ..
- Huber P, Birdsey G, Lumb M, Prowse D, Perkins T, Knight D, et al. Peroxisomal import of human alanine:glyoxylate aminotransferase requires ancillary targeting information remote from its C terminus. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:27111-20 pubmed..This interaction might reshape the tetratricopeptide repeat domain allosterically, enabling it to accept KKL as a functional PTS1. ..
- Pauchet Y, Wilkinson P, Chauhan R, Ffrench Constant R. Diversity of beetle genes encoding novel plant cell wall degrading enzymes. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15635 pubmed publisher..Given the huge diversity of beetles alive today, and the diversity of their lifestyles and diets, we predict that beetle guts will emerge as an important new source of enzymes for use in biotechnology...
- Masuda H, Fong C, Ohtsuki C, Haraguchi T, Hiraoka Y. Spatiotemporal regulations of Wee1 at the G2/M transition. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:555-69 pubmed publisher..Then Wee1 disappears from the SPB during spindle assembly. We propose that regulation of Wee1 localization around the SPB during the G2/M transition is important for proper mitotic entry and progression...
- Fyfe P, Westrop G, Silva A, Coombs G, Hunter W. Leishmania TDR1 structure, a unique trimeric glutathione transferase capable of deglutathionylation and antimonial prodrug activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:11693-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that activation of antiparasite Sb(V)-drugs is a legacy of the deglutathionylation activity of TDR1 and involves processing glutathione adducts with concomitant reduction of the metalloid to active Sb(III) species. ..
- Davis E, Henderson P. The cloning and DNA sequence of the gene xylE for xylose-proton symport in Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:13928-32 pubmed..coli and glucose transport proteins of mammals. Structural analyses and comparisons suggest that 12 membrane-spanning segments may occur in the XylE protein. ..
- Grice A, Lambden P, Caul E, Clarke I. Sequence conservation of the major outer capsid glycoprotein of human group C rotaviruses. J Med Virol. 1994;44:166-71 pubmed..8-99.8%) of gene sequence conservation. Sequence comparisons with an isolate from Japan imply that the human group C rotaviruses so far characterised originate from a recent common ancestor with a worldwide distribution. ..
- Parker J, Coleman M, Szabo V, Frost L, Schmidt R, van der Biezen E, et al. The Arabidopsis downy mildew resistance gene RPP5 shares similarity to the toll and interleukin-1 receptors with N and L6. Plant Cell. 1997;9:879-94 pubmed
- Aguado B, Campbell R. Characterization of a human lysophosphatidic acid acyltransferase that is encoded by a gene located in the class III region of the human major histocompatibility complex. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:4096-105 pubmed..Due to the known role of LPA and PA in intracellular signaling and inflammation, the hLPAATalpha gene represents a candidate gene for some MHC-associated diseases. ..
- Avison M, Higgins C, von Heldreich C, Bennett P, Walsh T. Plasmid location and molecular heterogeneity of the L1 and L2 beta-lactamase genes of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2001;45:413-9 pubmed..It is therefore apparent that the L1 and L2 genes have evolved relatively quickly, perhaps because of their presence on a plasmid...
- Prince S, Achtman M, Derrick J. Crystal structure of the OpcA integral membrane adhesin from Neisseria meningitidis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:3417-21 pubmed..The structure, therefore, suggests a model for how adhesion of this important human pathogen to proteoglycan is mediated at the molecular level. ..
- Ciccia A, Constantinou A, West S. Identification and characterization of the human mus81-eme1 endonuclease. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:25172-8 pubmed..quot; We conclude that human Mus81-Eme1 is a flap/fork endonuclease that is likely to play a role in the processing of stalled replication fork intermediates. ..
- Berrisford J, Akerboom J, Turnbull A, de Geus D, Sedelnikova S, Staton I, et al. Crystal structure of Pyrococcus furiosus phosphoglucose isomerase. Implications for substrate binding and catalysis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:33290-7 pubmed
- Codina A, Love J, Li Y, Lazar M, Neuhaus D, Schwabe J. Structural insights into the interaction and activation of histone deacetylase 3 by nuclear receptor corepressors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:6009-14 pubmed..Importantly, one surface-exposed lysine is required for activation of HDAC3, but not for interaction. This lysine may play a uniquely important role in the mechanism of activating HDAC3. ..
- McDonald B, Martin Serrano J. Regulation of Tsg101 expression by the steadiness box: a role of Tsg101-associated ligase. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:754-63 pubmed..Lastly, we demonstrate that while the C-terminal lysines are targets for polyubiquitination, they are not required for any additional function necessary for ESCRT activity. ..
- Unsworth A, Masuda H, Dhut S, Toda T. Fission yeast kinesin-8 Klp5 and Klp6 are interdependent for mitotic nuclear retention and required for proper microtubule dynamics. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:5104-15 pubmed publisher..We propose that Klp5 and Klp6 play a vital role in promoting microtubule dynamics, which is essential for the spatiotemporal control of microtubule morphogenesis. ..
- Davies A, Kadurin I, Alvarez Laviada A, Douglas L, Nieto Rostro M, Bauer C, et al. The alpha2delta subunits of voltage-gated calcium channels form GPI-anchored proteins, a posttranslational modification essential for function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:1654-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study redefines our understanding of alpha(2)delta subunits, both in terms of their role in calcium-channel function and other roles in synaptogenesis. ..
- Grünewald E, Tew K, Porteous D, Thomson P. Developmental expression of orphan G protein-coupled receptor 50 in the mouse brain. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2012;3:459-72 pubmed publisher..With this study, we identify a link between GPR50 and neurotransmitter signaling and strengthen a likely role in stress response and energy homeostasis. ..
- Woskowicz A, Weaver S, Shitomi Y, Ito N, Itoh Y. MT-LOOP-dependent localization of membrane type I matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) to the cell adhesion complexes promotes cancer cell invasion. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:35126-37 pubmed publisher..Our findings have revealed a novel mechanism regulating MT1-MMP during cellular invasion and have identified the MT-LOOP as a potential exosite target region to develop selective MT1-MMP inhibitors. ..
- Clarke D, Murray E, Faktor J, Mohtar A, Vojtesek B, Mackay C, et al. Mass spectrometry analysis of the oxidation states of the pro-oncogenic protein anterior gradient-2 reveals covalent dimerization via an intermolecular disulphide bond. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1864:551-61 pubmed publisher..This has implications for redox regulation of the pro-oncogenic functions of AGR2 protein in cancer cells. ..
- White P, Nairn J, Price N, Nimmo H, Coggins J, Hunter I. Phosphoglycerate mutase from Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2): purification and characterization of the enzyme and cloning and sequence analysis of the gene. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:434-40 pubmed..The deduced amino acid sequence is 64% identical to that of the phosphoglycerate mutase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and has substantial identity to those of other phosphoglycerate mutases. ..
- McGuinness B, Barlow A, Clarke I, Farley J, Anilionis A, Poolman J, et al. Deduced amino acid sequences of class 1 protein (PorA) from three strains of Neisseria meningitidis. Synthetic peptides define the epitopes responsible for serosubtype specificity. J Exp Med. 1990;171:1871-82 pubmed..Thus we have been able to define linear peptides on each class 1 protein molecule that are responsible for subtype specificity and that represent targets for a protective immune response...
- Hara S, Swigart P, Jones D, Cockcroft S. The first 5 amino acids of the carboxyl terminus of phosphatidylinositol transfer protein (PITP) alpha play a critical role in inositol lipid signaling. Transfer activity of PITP is essential but not sufficient for restoration of phospholipase C sign. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:14908-13 pubmed
- Roe S, Barlow T, Brown T, Oram M, Keeley A, Tsaneva I, et al. Crystal structure of an octameric RuvA-Holliday junction complex. Mol Cell. 1998;2:361-72 pubmed..Interactions between the DNA backbone and helix-hairpin-helix motifs from both tetramers suggest a mechanism for strand separation promoted by RuvA...
- Elliott S, Knop M, Schlenstedt G, Schiebel E. Spc29p is a component of the Spc110p subcomplex and is essential for spindle pole body duplication. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:6205-10 pubmed
- Kozma E, Brown E, Ellis E, Lapthorn A. The crystal structure of rat liver AKR7A1. A dimeric member of the aldo-keto reductase superfamily. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:16285-93 pubmed
- Phillips E, Reeve A, Bevan S, McIntyre P. Identification of species-specific determinants of the action of the antagonist capsazepine and the agonist PPAHV on TRPV1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:17165-72 pubmed..The rat M547L mutation reduced the affinity of RTX binding. Thus, amino acids within the S2-S4 region are important sites of agonist and antagonist interaction with TRPV1. ..
- La Rocca S, Herbert R, Crooke H, Drew T, Wileman T, Powell P. Loss of interferon regulatory factor 3 in cells infected with classical swine fever virus involves the N-terminal protease, Npro. J Virol. 2005;79:7239-47 pubmed..The results demonstrate a novel viral evasion of innate host defenses, where interferon synthesis is prevented by inhibiting transcription of IRF3 in CSFV-infected cells. ..
- Allen M, Bycroft M. The solution structure of the ZnF UBP domain of USP33/VDU1. Protein Sci. 2007;16:2072-5 pubmed..The structure differs from that of the USP5 domain, which contains only one of the three Zn ions present in the USP33/VDU1 structure. The USP33/VDU1 ZnF UBP domain does not bind to ubiquitin. ..
- Davis S, Ward H, Puklavec M, Willis A, Williams A, Barclay A. High level expression in Chinese hamster ovary cells of soluble forms of CD4 T lymphocyte glycoprotein including glycosylation variants. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:10410-8 pubmed..The possibility of dimerisation of CD4 was investigated but sCD4 dimers were not seen at an affinity cut-off of about 4 x 10(5) M-1. ..
- Hopewell R, Oram M, Briesewitz R, Fisher L. DNA cloning and organization of the Staphylococcus aureus gyrA and gyrB genes: close homology among gyrase proteins and implications for 4-quinolone action and resistance. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:3481-4 pubmed..coli confers resistance to 4-quinolones. These results are discussed in regard to quinolone resistance mechanisms in S. aureus. ..
- McConnell J, Armstrong J, Hodges P, Bard J. The mouse 14-3-3 epsilon isoform, a kinase regulator whose expression pattern is modulated in mesenchyme and neuronal differentiation. Dev Biol. 1995;169:218-28 pubmed..The results as a whole thus argue for the 14-3-3 epsilon isoform playing roles in neural development and in early mesenchyme, with this latter function being lost or replaced as the tissue differentiates. ..
- Revill W, Bibb M, Hopwood D. Relationships between fatty acid and polyketide synthases from Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2): characterization of the fatty acid synthase acyl carrier protein. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:5660-7 pubmed..This suggests that the FAS and PKS ACPs may be biochemically incompatible and that this could prevent functional complementation between the FAS and PKSs that potentially coexist within the same cells. ..
- Screaton G, Xu X, Olsen A, Cowper A, Tan R, McMichael A, et al. LARD: a new lymphoid-specific death domain containing receptor regulated by alternative pre-mRNA splicing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:4615-9 pubmed..Upon T cell activation, a programmed change in alternative splicing occurs so that the full-length, membrane-bound LARD-1 predominates. This may have implications for the control of lymphocyte proliferation following activation. ..
- Connelly J, de Leau E, Okely E, Leach D. Overexpression, purification, and characterization of the SbcCD protein from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:19819-26 pubmed..We demonstrate that SbcD has the potential to form a secondary structural motif found in a number of protein phosphatases and suggest that it is a metalloprotein that contains the catalytic center of the SbcCD exonuclease. ..
- Unkles S, Smith J, Kanan G, Millar L, Heck I, Boxer D, et al. The Aspergillus nidulans cnxABC locus is a single gene encoding two catalytic domains required for synthesis of precursor Z, an intermediate in molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:28381-90 pubmed
- Hagan D, Ross A, Strachan T, Lynch S, Ruiz Perez V, Wang Y, et al. Mutation analysis and embryonic expression of the HLXB9 Currarino syndrome gene. Am J Hum Genet. 2000;66:1504-15 pubmed..Significant spatial and temporal expression differences were evident when compared with expression of the mouse Hlxb9 gene, which may partly explain the significant human-mouse differences in mutant phenotype. ..
- Marani M, Tenev T, Hancock D, Downward J, Lemoine N. Identification of novel isoforms of the BH3 domain protein Bim which directly activate Bax to trigger apoptosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:3577-89 pubmed..Furthermore, we have shown that the interaction of the BimS and BimAD isoforms with Bax leads to a conformational change in this protein analogous to that triggered by the BH3-only protein Bid. ..
- Nilsson M, Dobson C. In vitro characterization of lactoferrin aggregation and amyloid formation. Biochemistry. 2003;42:375-82 pubmed..We suggest that such a process could be generally important in the formation of amyloid fibrils in vivo since the identification of both full-length protein and protein fragments is common in ex vivo amyloid deposits. ..
- Sazanov L, Carroll J, Holt P, Toime L, Fearnley I. A role for native lipids in the stabilization and two-dimensional crystallization of the Escherichia coli NADH-ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I). J Biol Chem. 2003;278:19483-91 pubmed..Our results also indicate that native lipids play an important role in the activation, stabilization and, as a consequence, crystallization of purified complex I from E. coli. ..
- Wilson M, Gill D, Perisic O, Quinn M, Williams R. PB1 domain-mediated heterodimerization in NADPH oxidase and signaling complexes of atypical protein kinase C with Par6 and p62. Mol Cell. 2003;12:39-50 pubmed..Besides heterodimeric interactions, some PB1 domains, like the p62 PB1, can make homotypic front-to-back arrays. ..
- Manvell R, English C, Jorgensen P, Brown I. Pathogenesis of H7 influenza A viruses isolated from ostriches in the homologous host infected experimentally. Avian Dis. 2003;47:1150-3 pubmed..Postmortem examination of the birds infected (including the sentinel bird) with virus highly pathogenic for chickens were grossly normal except for localized pneumonic lesions. The results of the study are presented and discussed...
- Bird C, Wyman M. Nitrate/nitrite assimilation system of the marine picoplanktonic cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. strain WH 8103: effect of nitrogen source and availability on gene expression. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:7009-18 pubmed..The ecological implications of these findings are discussed in the context of the oligotrophic nature of oceanic surface waters in which Synechococcus spp. thrive. ..
- Wallis R, Shaw J, Uitdehaag J, Chen C, Torgersen D, Drickamer K. Localization of the serine protease-binding sites in the collagen-like domain of mannose-binding protein: indirect effects of naturally occurring mutations on protease binding and activation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:14065-73 pubmed..Thus, the effect of the mutations is to destabilize the collagen-like domain, indirectly disrupting the binding sites for MASPs. In addition, at least one of the mutations has a further effect on the ability of MBP to activate MASPs. ..
- Loppin B, Lepetit D, Dorus S, Couble P, Karr T. Origin and neofunctionalization of a Drosophila paternal effect gene essential for zygote viability. Curr Biol. 2005;15:87-93 pubmed publisher..We present a detailed case history of the origin and evolution of a new essential gene and, in so doing, provide the first molecular identification of a Drosophila paternal effect gene, ms(3)K81 (K81)...
- Rogers N, Slack E, Edwards A, Nolte M, Schulz O, Schweighoffer E, et al. Syk-dependent cytokine induction by Dectin-1 reveals a novel pattern recognition pathway for C type lectins. Immunity. 2005;22:507-17 pubmed..These results identify a novel signaling pathway involved in pattern recognition by C type lectins and suggest a potential role for Syk kinase in regulation of innate immunity. ..
- Sangrithi M, Bernal J, Madine M, Philpott A, Lee J, Dunphy W, et al. Initiation of DNA replication requires the RECQL4 protein mutated in Rothmund-Thomson syndrome. Cell. 2005;121:887-98 pubmed..This role connects defective replication initiation to a chromosome-fragility disorder. ..
- Baumberger N, Baulcombe D. Arabidopsis ARGONAUTE1 is an RNA Slicer that selectively recruits microRNAs and short interfering RNAs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:11928-33 pubmed..Based on sequence similarity, we predict that other Arabidopsis AGOs might have a similar catalytic activity but recruit different subsets of siRNAs or miRNAs. ..
- Fitzgibbon G, Morozov I, Jones M, Caddick M. Genetic analysis of the TOR pathway in Aspergillus nidulans. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1595-8 pubmed publisher..Unlike the situation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, there is only a single Tor kinase, as in plant and animal systems, and mutant phenotypes suggest that the TOR pathway plays only a minor role in regulating nitrogen metabolism...
- Fritsch C, Sawala A, Harris R, Maartens A, Sutcliffe C, Ashe H, et al. Different requirements for proteolytic processing of bone morphogenetic protein 5/6/7/8 ligands in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:5942-53 pubmed publisher..Our data show that cleavage requirements evolve rapidly, supporting the notion that changes in post-translational processing are used to create functional diversity between BMPs within and between species. ..
- Verhagen J, Genolet R, Britton G, Stevenson B, Sabatos Peyton C, Dyson J, et al. CTLA-4 controls the thymic development of both conventional and regulatory T cells through modulation of the TCR repertoire. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E221-30 pubmed publisher..CTLA-4, therefore, regulates the early development of self-reactive T cells in the thymus and plays a key role in central tolerance. ..
- Frago S, Nicholls R, Strickland M, Hughes J, Williams C, Garner L, et al. Functional evolution of IGF2:IGF2R domain 11 binding generates novel structural interactions and a specific IGF2 antagonist. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E2766-75 pubmed publisher..An evolved and reengineered high-specificity M6P/IGF2R domain 11 binding site for IGF2 may improve therapeutic targeting of the frequent IGF2 gain of function observed in human cancer. ..
- Barbosa E, Crisp A, Broadbent S, Carrillo M, Boschetti C, Tunnacliffe A. A functional difference between native and horizontally acquired genes in bdelloid rotifers. Gene. 2016;590:186-91 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates a novel functional difference between foreign and native genes in bdelloids and suggests that SL trans-splicing is not essential for the expression of foreign genes, but is acquired during their domestication. ..
- Schnicker N, De Silva S, Todd J, Dey M. Structural and Biochemical Insights into Dimethylsulfoniopropionate Cleavage by Cofactor-Bound DddK from the Prolific Marine Bacterium Pelagibacter. Biochemistry. 2017;56:2873-2885 pubmed publisher..Our biochemical and structural studies provide a detailed understanding of DMS generation by one of the ocean's most prolific bacteria...
- Hughes D, Allen J, Morley G, Sutherland K, Ahmed W, Prosser J, et al. Cloning and sequencing of the mouse Gli2 gene: localization to the Dominant hemimelia critical region. Genomics. 1997;39:205-15 pubmed..We have also demonstrated that it is unlikely that there are any Gli genes in the mouse genome in addition to the previously described Gli, Gli2, and Gli3. ..
- Wiggins C, Munro S. Activity of the yeast MNN1 alpha-1,3-mannosyltransferase requires a motif conserved in many other families of glycosyltransferases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:7945-50 pubmed
- Gout I, Minami T, Hara K, Tsujishita Y, Filonenko V, Waterfield M, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel p70 S6 kinase, p70 S6 kinase beta containing a proline-rich region. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:30061-4 pubmed..The p70beta kinase was found to be significantly less sensitive to wortmannin and rapamycin than p70alpha. These results indicate that p70beta has the potential to participate in the regulation of protein synthesis and the cell cycle. ..
- Riba I, Gaskell S, Cho H, Widger W, Kohn H. Evidence for the location of bicyclomycin binding to the Escherichia coli transcription termination factor Rho. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:34033-41 pubmed..These findings provide the first structural information concerning the site of Bcm binding in Rho. ..
- Bruce L, Unwin R, Wrong O, Tanner M. The association between familial distal renal tubular acidosis and mutations in the red cell anion exchanger (band 3, AE1) gene. Biochem Cell Biol. 1998;76:723-8 pubmed..A possible explanation for the dominant effect of these mutant AE1 proteins in the kidney cell is that these mutations affect the targeting of AE1 from the basolateral to the apical membrane of the alpha-intercalated cell...
- Behravan J, Chirakkal H, Masson A, Moir A. Mutations in the gerP locus of Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus cereus affect access of germinants to their targets in spores. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:1987-94 pubmed
- Liu B, Everson J, Fane B, Giannikopoulou P, Vretou E, Lambden P, et al. Molecular characterization of a bacteriophage (Chp2) from Chlamydia psittaci. J Virol. 2000;74:3464-9 pubmed..We suggest that VP3 performs a scaffolding-like function but has evolved into a structural protein...
- Galanis A, Yang S, Sharrocks A. Selective targeting of MAPKs to the ETS domain transcription factor SAP-1. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:965-73 pubmed..Our data therefore demonstrate that a modular system of motifs is responsible for directing specific MAPK subtypes to SAP-1, but also point to important distinctions in the mechanism of action of the D-domain and FXF motif. ..
- Hill E, Van Der Kaay J, Downes C, Smythe E. The role of dynamin and its binding partners in coated pit invagination and scission. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:309-23 pubmed..The dramatic effects of the SH3 domain of endophilin led us to propose a model for the temporal order of addition of endophilin and its binding partner synaptojanin in the coated vesicle cycle. ..
- Sun J, Hesketh A, Bibb M. Functional analysis of relA and rshA, two relA/spoT homologues of Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2). J Bacteriol. 2001;183:3488-98 pubmed..Thus, a ppGpp-independent mechanism exists to activate antibiotic production under conditions of phosphate limitation that can be mimicked by overexpression of rshA. ..
- Berry V, Francis P, Reddy M, Collyer D, Vithana E, Mackay I, et al. Alpha-B crystallin gene (CRYAB) mutation causes dominant congenital posterior polar cataract in humans. Am J Hum Genet. 2001;69:1141-5 pubmed..The mutation resulted in a frameshift in codon 150 and produced an aberrant protein consisting of 184 residues. This is the first report of a mutation, in this gene, resulting in isolated congenital cataract. ..
- Jiggins F, Hurst G, Yang Z. Host-symbiont conflicts: positive selection on an outer membrane protein of parasitic but not mutualistic Rickettsiaceae. Mol Biol Evol. 2002;19:1341-9 pubmed..The regions of the wsp and map1 genes we identified as likely to be involved in host-parasite arms races should be examined in future studies of parasite virulence and host immune responses, and during the design of vaccines. ..
- Liolitsa D, Rahman S, Benton S, Carr L, Hanna M. Is the mitochondrial complex I ND5 gene a hot-spot for MELAS causing mutations?. Ann Neurol. 2003;53:128-32 pubmed..Histochemistry was normal. Our observations add to the evidence that mitochondrial ND5 protein coding gene mutations frequently associate with the MELAS phenotype, and it highlights the role of complex I dysfunction in MELAS...
- Walters R, Shephard F, Rogers J, Rolfe S, Horton P. Identification of mutants of Arabidopsis defective in acclimation of photosynthesis to the light environment. Plant Physiol. 2003;131:472-81 pubmed
- Collinson E, Grant C. Role of yeast glutaredoxins as glutathione S-transferases. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:22492-7 pubmed
- Shu X, Zeng Z, Eckmiller M, Gautier P, Vlachantoni D, Manson F, et al. Developmental and tissue expression of Xenopus laevis RPGR. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:348-56 pubmed publisher..The data are consistent with XRPGR expression in a single microtubular organelle-the centriole or basal body and associated ciliary transitional zone found in modified sensory cilia of photoreceptors and motile cilia...
- Whiteford J, Couchman J. A conserved NXIP motif is required for cell adhesion properties of the syndecan-4 ectodomain. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:32156-63 pubmed..We have shown that cell adhesion to the syndecan-4 ectodomain involves beta1 integrins in several cell types. ..
- Lim J, Wiedemann A, Tzircotis G, Monkley S, Critchley D, Caron E. An essential role for talin during alpha(M)beta(2)-mediated phagocytosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:976-85 pubmed..Our results establish for the first time at least two distinct roles for talin during CR3/alpha(M)beta(2)-mediated phagocytosis, most noticeably activation of the CR3/alpha(M)beta(2) receptor and phagocytic uptake. ..
- Clifton L, Lad M, Green R, Frazier R. Single amino acid substitutions in puroindoline-b mutants influence lipid binding properties. Biochemistry. 2007;46:2260-6 pubmed..In addition, the data suggest antimicrobial activities of Pin-b mutants would be lower than those of the wild-type Pin-b, because of decreased selectivity toward anionic phospholipids. ..
- Martin M, Allan L, Mancini E, Clarke P. The docking interaction of caspase-9 with ERK2 provides a mechanism for the selective inhibitory phosphorylation of caspase-9 at threonine 125. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3854-65 pubmed..This selectivity may be important for the antiapoptotic role of classical MAPKs in contrast to the proapoptotic roles of stress-activated MAPKs. ..
- Boyd A, Ciufo L, Barclay J, Graham M, Haynes L, Doherty M, et al. A random mutagenesis approach to isolate dominant-negative yeast sec1 mutants reveals a functional role for domain 3a in yeast and mammalian Sec1/Munc18 proteins. Genetics. 2008;180:165-78 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this approach of screening for dominant-negative mutants in yeast may be useful for other conserved proteins, to identify functionally important domains in their mammalian homologs. ..