Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on alcoholism in United States
Locale: United States
Publications252 found, 100 shown here
- Fairholme C, Nosen E, Nillni Y, Schumacher J, Tull M, Coffey S. Sleep disturbance and emotion dysregulation as transdiagnostic processes in a comorbid sample. Behav Res Ther. 2013;51:540-6 pubmed publisher..Insomnia and emotion dysregulation appear to be transdiagnostic processes uniquely associated with symptom severity across a number of different domains and might be important treatment targets for individuals with PTSD and AD. ..
- Kranzler H, Van Kirk J. Efficacy of naltrexone and acamprosate for alcoholism treatment: a meta-analysis. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001;25:1335-41 pubmed..New approaches to the use of these medications and development of new medications are needed if pharmacotherapy is to play a substantial role in the treatment of alcoholism. ..
- Kranzler H, Pierucci Lagha A, Feinn R, Hernandez Avila C. Effects of ondansetron in early- versus late-onset alcoholics: a prospective, open-label study. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2003;27:1150-5 pubmed
- Kendzor D, Dubbert P, Olivier J, Businelle M, Grothe K. The influence of physical activity on alcohol consumption among heavy drinkers participating in an alcohol treatment intervention. Addict Behav. 2008;33:1337-43 pubmed publisher..However, commonly endorsed activities may be easily incorporated into interventions in which physical activity is a desired component. ..
- Pescosolido B, Martin J, Long J, Medina T, Phelan J, Link B. "A disease like any other"? A decade of change in public reactions to schizophrenia, depression, and alcohol dependence. Am J Psychiatry. 2010;167:1321-30 pubmed publisher..This view translates into support for services but not into a decrease in stigma. Reconfiguring stigma reduction strategies may require providers and advocates to shift to an emphasis on competence and inclusion. ..
- Petry N, Rash C, Blanco C. The Inventory of Gambling Situations in problem and pathological gamblers seeking alcohol and drug abuse treatment. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010;18:530-8 pubmed publisher..Results from this study indicate that the IGS has good psychometric properties and suggest areas in which intervention efforts may be tailored to prevent or treat gambling problems among individuals seeking substance abuse treatment. ..
- Freedy J, Ryan K. Alcohol use screening and case finding: screening tools, clinical clues, and making the diagnosis. Prim Care. 2011;38:91-103 pubmed publisher..This article reviews the state-of-the-art, evidence-based concepts and practices for screening and case finding for alcohol use disorders among adults and adolescents in primary care settings. ..
- Luo H, Hou Z, Wu J, Zhang Y, Wan Y. Evolution of the DRD2 gene haplotype and its association with alcoholism in Mexican Americans. Alcohol. 2005;36:117-25 pubmed..Our data indicate that the DRD2 haplotypes are associated with alcoholism in Mexican Americans. ..
- Herman A, Kranzler H, Cubells J, Gelernter J, Covault J. Association study of the CNR1 gene exon 3 alternative promoter region polymorphisms and substance dependence. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2006;141B:499-503 pubmed..These findings fail to replicate the original report of an association between SNPs adjacent to an alternative CNR1 exon 3 transcription start site and polysubstance abuse. ..
- Weiss R, Kueppenbender K. Combining psychosocial treatment with pharmacotherapy for alcohol dependence. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006;26 Suppl 1:S37-42 pubmed..Ongoing research examining the optimal combinations of medications with different psychosocial treatments for alcohol dependence may further inform the field. ..
- Subramanian V, Subramanya S, Said H. Chronic alcohol exposure negatively impacts the physiological and molecular parameters of the renal biotin reabsorption process. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011;300:F611-7 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate for the first time that chronic ethanol feeding inhibits renal biotin transport and that this effect is, at least in part, being exerted at the transcriptional level. ..
- Frueh B, Smith J. Suicide, alcoholism, and psychiatric illness among union forces during the U.S. Civil War. J Anxiety Disord. 2012;26:769-75 pubmed publisher..Data provide contextual information on suicide and psychiatric variables for combatants during the U.S. Civil War, a brutal modern war with vastly higher casualty rates than recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. ..
- Litten R, Ryan M, Fertig J, Falk D, Johnson B, Dunn K, et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial assessing the efficacy of varenicline tartrate for alcohol dependence. J Addict Med. 2013;7:277-86 pubmed publisher..Varenicline was well-tolerated; adverse events were expected and mild. Varenicline significantly reduced alcohol consumption and craving, making it a potentially viable option for the treatment of alcohol dependence. ..
- Field C, Cochran G, Caetano R, Foreman M, Brown C. Postdischarge nonmedical use of prescription opioids in at-risk drinkers admitted to urban level I trauma centers. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014;76:833-9 pubmed publisher..Cautious, evidence-based opioid prescribing may reduce exposure to prescription opioids in high-risk patients, risk of subsequent misuse, and possible diversion. Prognostic/epidemiologic study, level II. ..
- Rosen H, Golden Mason L, Daly A, Yang I, Day C. Variants in the LGALS9 Gene Are Associated With Development of Liver Disease in Heavy Consumers of Alcohol. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;14:762-8.e1 pubmed publisher..Although larger studies are required, this information could be used to determine the risk of individuals developing ALD or to develop therapeutic agents. ..
- Brown M, Anton R, Malcolm R, Ballenger J. Alcohol detoxification and withdrawal seizures: clinical support for a kindling hypothesis. Biol Psychiatry. 1988;23:507-14 pubmed..These findings support the concept that previous alcohol withdrawals may "kindle" more serious subsequent withdrawal symptomatology, ultimately culminating in withdrawal seizures...
- Karpyak V, Kim J, Biernacka J, Wieben E, Mrazek D, Black J, et al. Sequence variations of the human MPDZ gene and association with alcoholism in subjects with European ancestry. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2009;33:712-21 pubmed publisher..Further functional genomic analysis of MPDZ variants and investigation of their association with a broader array of alcoholism-related phenotypes could reveal additional genetic markers of alcoholism. ..
- Detar D. Alcoholics anonymous and other twelve-step programs in recovery. Prim Care. 2011;38:143-148 pubmed publisher..The Twelve Steps of the AA provide a structure for which a patient with alcoholism may turn for an answer to their problem of alcohol use, abuse, or dependence. ..
- Boissoneault J, Gilbertson R, Prather R, Nixon S. Contrasting behavioral effects of acute nicotine and chronic smoking in detoxified alcoholics. Addict Behav. 2011;36:1344-8 pubmed publisher..Further systematic study of these opposing effects among alcoholics and other groups using a broader array of tasks is needed. ..
- Li J, Sun Y, Ye J. Electroacupuncture decreases excessive alcohol consumption involving reduction of FosB/?FosB levels in reward-related brain regions. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40347 pubmed publisher..This effect of electroacupuncture may be mediated by down-regulation of FosB/?FosB in reward-related brain regions. ..
- Fairlie A, Maggs J, Lanza S. Profiles of College Drinkers Defined by Alcohol Behaviors at the Week Level: Replication Across Semesters and Prospective Associations With Hazardous Drinking and Dependence-Related Symptoms. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2016;77:38-50 pubmed..Replicable week-level drinker statuses were identified, suggesting consistency in possible types of drinking weeks. Drinker statuses were predictive of senior-year hazardous drinking and dependence symptoms. ..
- Weiss R, Mirin S, Griffin M, Michael J. A comparison of alcoholic and nonalcoholic drug abusers. J Stud Alcohol. 1988;49:510-5 pubmed..Implications regarding the relationship of alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse are discussed...
- Amore A, Coppo R, Roccatello D, Piccoli G, Mazzucco G, Gomez Chiarri M, et al. Experimental IgA nephropathy secondary to hepatocellular injury induced by dietary deficiencies and heavy alcohol intake. Lab Invest. 1994;70:68-77 pubmed..The combination of LD diet and alcohol intake, which mimics the human alcoholic condition, promotes hepatic and renal changes, leading to hepatocellular injury and a secondary form of IgA nephropathy. ..
- Anton R. Pharmacologic approaches to the management of alcoholism. J Clin Psychiatry. 2001;62 Suppl 20:11-7 pubmed..This article will discuss animal and clinical studies of the opioid antagonists (primarily naltrexone), acamprosate, and disulfiram. The side effects and treatment recommendations for each drug will also be reviewed. ..
- Hoffman K, Ford J, Choi D, Gustafson D, McCarty D. Replication and sustainability of improved access and retention within the Network for the Improvement of Addiction Treatment. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008;98:63-9 pubmed publisher..The ability to sustain the gains after project awards were exhausted suggests that participating programs institutionalized the organizational changes that led to the enhanced performance. ..
- Malcolm R, Olive M, Lechner W. The safety of disulfiram for the treatment of alcohol and cocaine dependence in randomized clinical trials: guidance for clinical practice. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2008;7:459-72 pubmed..When patients are screened for medical and psychiatric stability, and are evaluated for drug interactions, disulfiram has an acceptable side-effect profile for the treatment of cocaine dependence with or without alcohol dependence. ..
- Law R, Parsi M, Lopez R, Zuccaro G, Stevens T. Cigarette smoking is independently associated with chronic pancreatitis. Pancreatology. 2010;10:54-9 pubmed publisher..00, 95% CI 1.07, 3.75) and calcifications (OR 2.68, 95% CI 1.03, 6.94). Active cigarette smoking is associated with CP adjusting for alcohol and other risk factors. and IAP. ..
- Beier J, McClain C. Mechanisms and cell signaling in alcoholic liver disease. Biol Chem. 2010;391:1249-64 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this review is to summarize the established and proposed mechanisms by which chronic alcohol abuse damages the liver and to highlight key signaling events known or hypothesized to mediate these effects. ..
- Ponomarev I, Wang S, Zhang L, Harris R, Mayfield R. Gene coexpression networks in human brain identify epigenetic modifications in alcohol dependence. J Neurosci. 2012;32:1884-97 pubmed publisher..Our results offer implications for epigenetic therapeutics in alcohol and drug addiction. ..
- Pelaez A, Bechara R, Joshi P, Brown L, Guidot D. Granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor treatment improves alveolar epithelial barrier function in alcoholic rat lung. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;286:L106-11 pubmed
- Babor T. Treatment for persons with substance use disorders: mediators, moderators, and the need for a new research approach. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2008;17 Suppl 1:S45-9 pubmed publisher..It may be more fruitful to look for matching in larger populations at the level of communities or treatment systems, where a wider range of settings and therapeutic interventions can be evaluated. ..
- Finn D, Beckley E, Kaufman K, Ford M. Manipulation of GABAergic steroids: Sex differences in the effects on alcohol drinking- and withdrawal-related behaviors. Horm Behav. 2010;57:12-22 pubmed publisher..Thus, sex differences in the modulation of GABAergic neurosteroids may be an important consideration in understanding and developing therapeutic interventions in alcoholics. ..
- Barth K, Malcolm R. Disulfiram: an old therapeutic with new applications. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2010;9:5-12 pubmed..We will also review recent literature on newer potential applications for disulfiram use via its unique action on dopamine beta-hydroxylase...
- Ames S, Werch C, Ames G, Lange L, Schroeder D, Hanson A, et al. Integrated smoking cessation and binge drinking intervention for young adults: a pilot investigation. Ann Behav Med. 2010;40:343-9 pubmed publisher..Preliminary data support the intriguing possibility that integrated intervention may enhance smoking cessation and reduce binge drinking. ..
- Affronti J. Chronic pancreatitis and exocrine insufficiency. Prim Care. 2011;38:515-37; ix pubmed publisher..Alterations in pain or other symptoms in patients with CP should not be attributed to worsening disease before evaluations for complications including malignancy are done. ..
- Miller P, Book S, Stewart S. Medical treatment of alcohol dependence: a systematic review. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2011;42:227-66 pubmed..Although treatment effects are modest, medications for alcohol dependence, in conjunction with either brief support or more extensive psychosocial therapy, can be effective in primary and specialty care medical settings. ..
- Meszaros Z, Abdul Malak Y, Dimmock J, Wang D, Ajagbe T, Batki S. Varenicline treatment of concurrent alcohol and nicotine dependence in schizophrenia: a randomized, placebo-controlled pilot trial. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2013;33:243-7 pubmed publisher..Based on this small sample, concurrent alcohol and nicotine dependence in schizophrenia may present special obstacles to successful treatment with varenicline. ..
- Becker H, Hale R. Repeated episodes of ethanol withdrawal potentiate the severity of subsequent withdrawal seizures: an animal model of alcohol withdrawal "kindling". Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1993;17:94-8 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Parsian A, Cloninger C, Sinha R, Zhang Z. Functional variation in promoter region of monoamine oxidase A and subtypes of alcoholism: haplotype analysis. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2003;117B:46-50 pubmed..After Bonferroni's correction for multiple tests none of the results remained significant at P < 0.05. Our results indicate that MAO-A may play a role in the development of alcoholism but the gene effect is very small. ..
- Modesto Lowe V, Fritz E. The opioidergic-alcohol link : implications for treatment. CNS Drugs. 2005;19:693-707 pubmed..Efforts to identify subgroups of alcohol-dependent patients responsive to naltrexone, as well as psychosocial and pharmacological augmentation strategies, may further improve the clinical usefulness of the drug. ..
- Otis J, Brown L, Guidot D. Oxidant-induced atrogin-1 and transforming growth factor-beta1 precede alcohol-related myopathy in rats. Muscle Nerve. 2007;36:842-8 pubmed..Therefore, targeted anti-oxidant treatments such as procysteine supplementation may benefit individuals with chronic alcohol abuse, particularly if given prior to the development of clinically significant myopathy. ..
- Crabbe J. Review. Neurogenetic studies of alcohol addiction. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2008;363:3201-11 pubmed publisher..In a few instances, interesting parallels have been revealed between genetic risk in humans and studies in non-human animal models. Future approaches are likely to be increasingly complex. ..
- Sanders B, Lankenau S, Jackson Bloom J, Hathazi D. Multiple drug use and polydrug use amongst homeless traveling youth. J Ethn Subst Abuse. 2008;7:23-40 pubmed publisher..From here, we discuss some theoretical and public health implications of multiple drug use and polydrug use amongst this particular population...
- Ruby C, Adams C, Knight E, Nam H, Choi D. An essential role for adenosine signaling in alcohol abuse. Curr Drug Abuse Rev. 2010;3:163-74 pubmed..In this paper, we discuss recent findings on the implication of adenosine signaling in alcohol use disorders. ..
- Wang K, Liu X, Zhang Q, Wu L, Zeng M. Genome-wide association study identifies 5q21 and 9p24.1 (KDM4C) loci associated with alcohol withdrawal symptoms. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2012;119:425-33 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we identified several loci associated with AWS. These findings offer the potential for new insights into the pathogenesis of AD and AWS. ..
- Barbaresco S, Courtemanche C, Qi Y. Impacts of the Affordable Care Act dependent coverage provision on health-related outcomes of young adults. J Health Econ. 2015;40:54-68 pubmed publisher..However, the mandate also increased risky drinking and did not lead to any significant increases in preventive care utilization. Subsample analyses reveal particularly large gains for men and college graduates. ..
- Zahs A, Cook R, Waldschimdt T, Choudhry M, Kovacs E, Bird M. Alcohol and inflammation and infection: clinical and experimental systems--summary of the 2010 Alcohol and Immunology Research Interest Group Meeting. Alcohol. 2012;46:147-53 pubmed publisher..Additional oral presentations suggested possible mechanisms of how alcohol-induced reactive oxygen species promote immune dysregulation both locally and systemically. ..
- Cservenka A, Herting M, Nagel B. Atypical frontal lobe activity during verbal working memory in youth with a family history of alcoholism. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012;123:98-104 pubmed publisher..Given the importance of working memory in numerous areas of day-to-day functioning, such as adaptive decision-making, these abnormalities may contribute to FHP youth vulnerability toward developing AUDs. ..
- Renteria R, Jeanes Z, Mangieri R, Maier E, Kircher D, Buske T, et al. Using In Vitro Electrophysiology to Screen Medications: Accumbal Plasticity as an Engram of Alcohol Dependence. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2016;126:441-65 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that if manipulation of such target genes and their products change NAc plasticity, then that observation constitutes an important validation step for the development of novel therapeutics to treat alcohol dependence. ..
- Risinger F, Bormann N, Oakes R. Reduced sensitivity to ethanol reward, but not ethanol aversion, in mice lacking 5-HT1B receptors. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1996;20:1401-5 pubmed
- Schafer G, Crabbe J, Wiren K. Ethanol-regulated gene expression of neuroendocrine specific protein in mice: brain region and genotype specificity. Brain Res. 2001;897:139-49 pubmed..Overall, the results indicate a complex pattern of ethanol-induced regulation of the putative mouse homologue of RTN1 and suggest that specific brain regional changes may be involved in the expression of physical dependence. ..
- Weinberg J, Magnotti L, Fischer P, Edwards N, Schroeppel T, Fabian T, et al. Comparison of intravenous ethanol versus diazepam for alcohol withdrawal prophylaxis in the trauma ICU: results of a randomized trial. J Trauma. 2008;64:99-104 pubmed publisher..The purported benefit of intravenous ethanol as a prophylactic agent against AWS was not evident. ..
- Xuei X, Flury Wetherill L, Dick D, Goate A, Tischfield J, Nurnberger J, et al. GABRR1 and GABRR2, encoding the GABA-A receptor subunits rho1 and rho2, are associated with alcohol dependence. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2010;153B:418-427 pubmed publisher..04), and a haplotype in GABRR2 was significantly overtransmitted to family members who met a broader definition of alcoholism (P = 0.002) as well as DSM-IV dependence (P = 0.04). ..
- Chen G, Reilly M, Kozell L, Hitzemann R, Buck K. Differential activation of limbic circuitry associated with chronic ethanol withdrawal in DBA/2J and C57BL/6J mice. Alcohol. 2009;43:411-20 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, these are the first studies to use c-Fos to identify the brain regions and neurocircuitry that distinguish between chronic and acute ethanol withdrawal severity using informative animal models. ..
- Robinson R, Stephenson J, Dennehy E, Grabner M, Faries D, Palli S, et al. The importance of unresolved fatigue in depression: costs and comorbidities. Psychosomatics. 2015;56:274-85 pubmed publisher..This reinforces the need for aggressive treatment of all symptoms and further examination of the variability of this relationship as patients approach remission. ..
- Fink D, Gallaway M, Tamburrino M, Liberzon I, Chan P, Cohen G, et al. Onset of Alcohol Use Disorders and Comorbid Psychiatric Disorders in a Military Cohort: Are there Critical Periods for Prevention of Alcohol Use Disorders?. Prev Sci. 2016;17:347-56 pubmed publisher..Focused primary prevention during this narrow age range (16-23Â years) may have the greatest potential to reduce population mental health burden of AUD, irrespective of the sequencing of comorbid psychiatric disorder. ..
- Bechara R, Brown L, Roman J, Joshi P, Guidot D. Transforming growth factor beta1 expression and activation is increased in the alcoholic rat lung. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;170:188-94 pubmed..We speculate that this mechanism could contribute to the increased risk of acute respiratory distress syndrome in alcoholic patients. ..
- Carrillo E, Lottenberg L, Saridakis A. Blunt traumatic injury of the gallbladder. J Trauma. 2004;57:408-9 pubmed
- Heilig M, Egli M. Pharmacological treatment of alcohol dependence: target symptoms and target mechanisms. Pharmacol Ther. 2006;111:855-76 pubmed..Once novel treatments are developed, the field faces a major challenge to assure their delivery to patients. ..
- Pietrzak R, Morasco B, Blanco C, Grant B, Petry N. Gambling level and psychiatric and medical disorders in older adults: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2007;15:301-13 pubmed..Lifetime disordered gamblers had a range of lifetime psychiatric disorders and were more likely than nonregular gamblers to have past-year diagnoses of angina and arthritis. ..
- Stolberg V. A review of perspectives on alcohol and alcoholism in the history of American health and medicine. J Ethn Subst Abuse. 2006;5:39-106 pubmed
- White W. Addiction recovery: its definition and conceptual boundaries. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2007;33:229-41 pubmed..The process of defining recovery touches on some of the most controversial issues within the addictions field. ..
- Mackiewicz Seghete K, Cservenka A, Herting M, Nagel B. Atypical spatial working memory and task-general brain activity in adolescents with a family history of alcoholism. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37:390-8 pubmed publisher..Alterations in top-down cognitive control may be a general risk factor for FHP adolescents, whereas SWM-specific alterations are seen as a function of family history loading. ..
- Possemato K, Bishop T, Willis M, Lantinga L. Healthcare utilization and symptom variation among veterans using Behavioral Telehealth Center services. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2013;40:416-26 pubmed publisher..This initial evaluation provides support that BTC services are associated with increased healthcare utilization and decreased alcohol and depressive symptoms. ..
- Thomas S, Bacon A, Sinha R, Uhart M, Adinoff B. Clinical laboratory stressors used to study alcohol-stress relationships. Alcohol Res. 2012;34:459-67 pubmed..This article reviews some of the most common physical, psychological, and pharmacological stressors used in stress-induction studies designed to reveal details about the relationship between stress reactivity and alcohol use and abuse. ..
- Boscarino J, Moorman A, Rupp L, Zhou Y, Lu M, Teshale E, et al. Comparison of ICD-9 Codes for Depression and Alcohol Misuse to Survey Instruments Suggests These Codes Should Be Used with Caution. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:2704-2712 pubmed publisher..ICD-9 codes were limited in predicting current depression and alcohol misuse, suggesting that caution should be exercised when using ICD-9 codes to assess depression or alcohol misuse among CHC patients. ..
- Kenneson A, Funderburk J, Maisto S. Substance use disorders increase the odds of subsequent mood disorders. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013;133:338-43 pubmed publisher..SUD treatment and aftercare offer opportunities for the early identification of secondary mood disorders. ..
- Han D, Bolo N, Daniels M, Lyoo I, Min K, Kim C, et al. Craving for alcohol and food during treatment for alcohol dependence: modulation by T allele of 1519T>C GABAAalpha6. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2008;32:1593-9 pubmed publisher..The T allele of the 1519T>C GABA(A)alpha6 gene may be one of the modulating factors associated with changes in craving for alcohol and food during treatment of patients with alcohol dependence. ..
- Arias A, Feinn R, Kranzler H. Association of an Asn40Asp (A118G) polymorphism in the mu-opioid receptor gene with substance dependence: a meta-analysis. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006;83:262-8 pubmed..Additional research is needed to determine whether these findings reflect no role for OPRM1 in determining risk for SD or whether another polymorphism in the gene influences receptor function and risk for SD. ..
- Mehta A, Yeligar S, Elon L, Brown L, Guidot D. Alcoholism causes alveolar macrophage zinc deficiency and immune dysfunction. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;188:716-23 pubmed publisher..Alcohol use disorders cause oxidative stress in the lower airways and increase susceptibility to pneumonia and lung injury. Currently, no therapeutic options exist to mitigate the pulmonary consequences of alcoholism...
- Nixon K. Alcohol and adult neurogenesis: roles in neurodegeneration and recovery in chronic alcoholism. Hippocampus. 2006;16:287-95 pubmed..This review describes opposing neurogenic processes that occur with alcohol intoxication and abstinence following alcohol dependence and how these opposing events relate to neurodegeneration and recovery from chronic alcoholism. ..
- Waldron M, Heath A, Lynskey M, Bucholz K, Madden P, Martin N. Alcoholic marriage: later start, sooner end. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2011;35:632-42 pubmed publisher..Results confirm the importance of AD as a predictor of both timing and survival of first marriages, with genetic influences contributing to observed associations. ..
- Bautista J, Quade S, Parrado A, Goddard K. Linkage analysis of alcoholism-related electrophysiological phenotypes: genome scans with microsatellites compared to single-nucleotide polymorphisms. BMC Genet. 2005;6 Suppl 1:S156 pubmed..Overall, there were few differences between MS and SNP genome scans. The use of covariates and parent-of-origin effects allowed detection of linkage not seen otherwise. ..
- Gustafson D, McTavish F, Schubert C, Johnson R. The effect of a computer-based intervention on adult children of alcoholics. J Addict Med. 2012;6:24-8 pubmed publisher..The findings of this pilot study are based on a small sample, but they suggest the need for more research and the potentially important role of technology in behavioral health treatment. ..
- Harnisch J, Tronca E, Nolan C, Turck M, Holmes K. Diphtheria among alcoholic urban adults. A decade of experience in Seattle. Ann Intern Med. 1989;111:71-82 pubmed
- Smiley McDonald H, Leukefeld C. Incarcerated clients' perceptions of therapeutic change in substance abuse treatment: a 4-year case study. Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol. 2005;49:574-89 pubmed..Data that were collected over 5 years are presented. Implications, including how the program's interim therapeutic milieu eased the transition to a therapeutic community, are discussed. ..
- Anton R, O Malley S, Ciraulo D, Cisler R, Couper D, Donovan D, et al. Combined pharmacotherapies and behavioral interventions for alcohol dependence: the COMBINE study: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2006;295:2003-17 pubmed..Naltrexone with medical management could be delivered in health care settings, thus serving alcohol-dependent patients who might otherwise not receive treatment. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00006206. ..
- Rosengren D, Beadnell B, Nason M, Stafford P, Daugherty R. Reports of past alcohol and drug use following participation in a motivation enhancing intervention: implications for clinical assessment and program evaluation. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2012;7:19 pubmed publisher..Future research should attempt to identify which reports - preintervention vs. postintervention - better reflect actual baseline substance use. ..
- Jun G, Song Y, Iyengar S, Elston R. Optimizing the evidence for linkage by permuting marker order. BMC Genet. 2005;6 Suppl 1:S61 pubmed..0039) on chromosome 1 between marker D1S1592 and D1S1598. Our results suggest that reordering fine-mapping markers in candidate regions when the genetic map is uncertain can be a critical step when considering a dense map. ..
- Suchocki E, Brecher A. The effect of acetaldehyde on human plasma factor XIII function. Dig Dis Sci. 2007;52:3488-92 pubmed
- Andersen A, Pietrzak R, Kranzler H, Ma L, Zhou H, Liu X, et al. Polygenic Scores for Major Depressive Disorder and Risk of Alcohol Dependence. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:1153-1160 pubmed publisher..Common genetic factors that influence the co-occurrence of MDD and AD have been sought in family, twin, and adoption studies, and results to date have been promising but inconclusive...
- Gilbertson M, Shenton M, Ciszewski A, Kasai K, Lasko N, Orr S, et al. Smaller hippocampal volume predicts pathologic vulnerability to psychological trauma. Nat Neurosci. 2002;5:1242-7 pubmed..Furthermore, severe PTSD twin pairs-both the trauma-exposed and unexposed members-had significantly smaller hippocampi than non-PTSD pairs. ..