Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in United States
Locale: United States
Publications3242 found, 100 shown here
- Rogers R, Kammerer Doak D, Olsen A, Thompson P, Walters M, Lukacz E, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of the effect of nitrofurantoin monohydrate macrocrystals on the development of urinary tract infections after surgery for pelvic organ prolapse and/or stress urinary incontinence with suprapu. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;191:182-7 pubmed..8% vs 5.4%, P=.10). Antibiotic prophylaxis with nitrofurantoin monohydrate macrocrystals decreases UTI compared with placebo after pelvic organ prolapse and/or urinary incontinence surgery with suprapubic catheterization. ..
- Sabharwal S, Zhao C, McKeon J, McClemens E, Edgar M, Behrens F. Computed radiographic measurement of limb-length discrepancy. Full-length standing anteroposterior radiograph compared with scanogram. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:2243-51 pubmed
- Rooney K, Kenton K, Mueller E, Fitzgerald M, Brubaker L. Advanced anterior vaginal wall prolapse is highly correlated with apical prolapse. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006;195:1837-40 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to determine the relationship between the most prolapsed portion of the anterior and posterior vaginal walls and the apex...
- Ordway G, Szebeni A, Chandley M, Stockmeier C, Xiang L, Newton S, et al. Low gene expression of bone morphogenetic protein 7 in brainstem astrocytes in major depression. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012;15:855-68 pubmed publisher..BMP7 has unique developmental and trophic actions on catecholamine neurons and these findings suggest that reduced astrocyte support for pontine LC neurons may contribute to pathology of brain noradrenergic neurons in MDD. ..
- Li W, Gu Y, James M, Hines R, Simpson P, Langaee T, et al. Prenatal and postnatal expression of glutathione transferase ? 1 in human liver and the roles of haplotype and subject age in determining activity with dichloroacetate. Drug Metab Dispos. 2012;40:232-9 pubmed publisher..In summary, we report a neonatal onset and an age-related increase in GSTZ1 protein expression during human liver development. Haplotype influenced GSTZ1 activity with DCA but not protein expression. ..
- Fuller Rowell T, Williams D, Love G, McKinley P, Sloan R, Ryff C. Race differences in age-trends of autonomic nervous system functioning. J Aging Health. 2013;25:839-62 pubmed publisher..The relevance of the findings to research on social stress and health disparities is discussed. ..
- Galiatsatos P, Gibson B, Rabiee A, Carlson O, Egan J, Shannon R, et al. The glucoregulatory benefits of glucagon-like peptide-1 (7-36) amide infusion during intensive insulin therapy in critically ill surgical patients: a pilot study. Crit Care Med. 2014;42:638-45 pubmed publisher..Improved stability of blood glucose is a favorable outcome, which enhances the safety of intensive insulin therapy. Larger studies of this potentially valuable therapy for glycemic control in the ICU are justified. ..
- Dasta J, Waikar S, Xie L, Boklage S, Baser O, Chiodo J, et al. Patterns of treatment and correction of hyponatremia in intensive care unit patients. J Crit Care. 2015;30:1072-9 pubmed publisher..Critically ill patients with hyponatremia who have their serum sodium corrected have lower mortality and longer survival, highlighting the need for more attention to hyponatremia and its correction in critically ill patients. ..
- Kammer J, Hosler A, Leckman Westin E, Dirienzo G, Osborn C. The association between antidepressant use and glycemic control in the Southern Community Cohort Study (SCCS). J Diabetes Complications. 2016;30:242-7 pubmed publisher..Prospective studies are needed to confirm the direction of this observation, as the present study was limited by a cross-sectional design and small sample size. ..
- Arnberg F, Lekander M, Morey J, Segerstrom S. Self-rated health and interleukin-6: Longitudinal relationships in older adults. Brain Behav Immun. 2016;54:226-232 pubmed publisher..To further investigate the mechanisms behind the SRH-IL-6 association, studies with different measurement frequencies, higher within-person variability, and experimental approaches are warranted. ..
- Goodale B, Rayack E, Stanton B. Arsenic alters transcriptional responses to Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection and decreases antimicrobial defense of human airway epithelial cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;331:154-163 pubmed publisher..Thus, arsenic alters the expression of genes and proteins in innate host defense pathways, thereby decreasing the ability of the lung epithelium to fight bacterial infection. ..
- Schenkman K, Carlbom D, Bulger E, Ciesielski W, Fisk D, Sheehan K, et al. Muscle oxygenation as an indicator of shock severity in patients with suspected severe sepsis or septic shock. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182351 pubmed publisher..Future longitudinal studies may validate these findings and the value of MOx in monitoring patient status as treatment is administered. ..
- Billings R, Proskin H, Moss M. Xerostomia and associated factors in a community-dwelling adult population. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1996;24:312-6 pubmed..These findings need to be examined further. ..
- Riviere G, Riviere K, Smith K. Molecular and immunological evidence of oral Treponema in the human brain and their association with Alzheimer's disease. Oral Microbiol Immunol. 2002;17:113-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that oral Treponema may infect the brain via branches of the trigeminal nerve. ..
- McMahon E. The older homosexual: current concepts of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender older Americans. Clin Geriatr Med. 2003;19:587-93 pubmed..Special attention should be given to ensure proper knowledge of social support systems including durable power of attorneys, housing and financial planning, and community services available...
- Heit M, Blackwell L, Kelly S. Measuring barriers to incontinence care seeking. Neurourol Urodyn. 2008;27:174-8 pubmed
- Tubbs R, Griessenauer C, Loukas M, Shoja M, Cohen Gadol A. Morphometric analysis of the foramen magnum: an anatomic study. Neurosurgery. 2010;66:385-8; discussion 388 pubmed publisher..To further elucidate the importance of anatomic variations in morphology of the foramen magnum and associated clinical implications, we conducted a morphometric study...
- Getsios D, Blume S, Ishak K, Maclaine G. Cost effectiveness of donepezil in the treatment of mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease: a UK evaluation using discrete-event simulation. Pharmacoeconomics. 2010;28:411-27 pubmed publisher..They also indicate that both benefits and savings may be greatest when treatment is started while patients are still in the mild stages of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Rothberg M, Pekow P, Lahti M, Brody O, Skiest D, Lindenauer P. Antibiotic therapy and treatment failure in patients hospitalized for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. JAMA. 2010;303:2035-42 pubmed publisher..Early antibiotic administration was associated with improved outcomes among patients hospitalized for acute exacerbations of COPD regardless of the risk of treatment failure. ..
- Dar Nimrod I, Heine S, Cheung B, Schaller M. Do scientific theories affect men's evaluations of sex crimes?. Aggress Behav. 2011;37:440-9 pubmed publisher..These results have implications for journalists, educators, and scientists. Aggr. Behav. 37:440-449, 2011. © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Iwashita T, Nakai Y, Lee J, Park D, Muthusamy V, Chang K. Newly-developed, forward-viewing echoendoscope: a comparative pilot study to the standard echoendoscope in the imaging of abdominal organs and feasibility of endoscopic ultrasound-guided interventions. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;27:362-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the disadvantages of the FV-CLA echoendoscope appear minimal in light of the potential advantages. ..
- DeBar L, Elder C, Ritenbaugh C, Aickin M, Deyo R, Meenan R, et al. Acupuncture and chiropractic care for chronic pain in an integrated health plan: a mixed methods study. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011;11:118 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT01345409. ..
- Ramirez J, Cooper A, Wiemken T, Gardiner D, Babinchak T. Switch therapy in hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia: tigecycline vs. levofloxacin. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:159 pubmed publisher..These data support the use of IV tigecycline in hospitalized patients with CAP when the switch therapy approach is considered. CLINICALTRIALS.GOV IDENTIFIER: NCT00081575. ..
- Dupont M, Wu Y, Hazen S, Tang W. Cystatin C identifies patients with stable chronic heart failure at increased risk for adverse cardiovascular events. Circ Heart Fail. 2012;5:602-9 pubmed..CysC is an independent predictor of adverse events in chronic heart failure. It adds prognostic value to creatinine, particularly in patients with preserved renal function. ..
- Medeiros K, O Connor M, Baicu C, Fitzgibbons T, Shaw P, Tighe D, et al. Systolic and diastolic mechanics in stress cardiomyopathy. Circulation. 2014;129:1659-67 pubmed publisher..Despite a completely different pathophysiology in terms of systolic and diastolic function, SCM is indistinguishable from acute LAD-territory MI. ..
- Steele S, Park G, Johnson E, Martin M, Stojadinovic A, Maykel J, et al. The impact of age on colorectal cancer incidence, treatment, and outcomes in an equal-access health care system. Dis Colon Rectum. 2014;57:303-10 pubmed publisher..Although increased adjuvant therapy use in younger patients may partially account for stage-specific increases in survival, the relative decreased chemotherapy use overall requires further evaluation. ..
- Michael Y, Nagel C, Gold R, Hillier T. Does change in the neighborhood environment prevent obesity in older women?. Soc Sci Med. 2014;102:129-37 pubmed publisher..Future research should consider the influence of the neighborhood environment on additional relevant health outcomes and should include measures of the social environment in conjunction with built environment measures. ..
- Daigle C, Andalib A, Corcelles R, Cetin D, Schauer P, Brethauer S. Bariatric and metabolic outcomes in the super-obese elderly. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016;12:132-7 pubmed publisher..Although further research is needed, the present data suggest that successful weight loss and metabolic improvement can be achieved safely in the high-risk population of super-obese elderly. ..
- Crabtree J, Siddiqi R. Simultaneous Catheter Replacement for Infectious and Mechanical Complications Without Interruption of Peritoneal Dialysis. Perit Dial Int. 2016;36:182-7 pubmed publisher..The procedure spares the patient from a central venous catheter, a shift to HD, the psychological ordeal of a change in dialysis modality, and a second surgery to insert a new catheter. ..
- Lichtman J, Jones M, Leifheit E, Sheffet A, Howard G, Lal B, et al. Carotid Endarterectomy and Carotid Artery Stenting in the US Medicare Population, 1999-2014. JAMA. 2017;318:1035-1046 pubmed publisher..Carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery stenting are the leading approaches to revascularization for carotid stenosis, yet contemporary data on trends in rates and outcomes are limited...
- Cerfolio R, Allen M, Nascimento A, Deschamps C, Trastek V, Miller D, et al. Inflammatory pseudotumors of the lung. Ann Thorac Surg. 1999;67:933-6 pubmed..Complete resection, when possible, is safe and leads to excellent survival. Pseudotumors, which recur, should be re-resected. ..
- McMullan M, Maples M, Kilgore T, Hindman S. Surgical experience with left ventricular free wall rupture. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001;71:1894-8; discussion 1898-9 pubmed..Echocardiography is the most sensitive and efficient diagnostic tool. All rupture sites should be aggressively repaired, possibly combining direct suture and patch/glue techniques. ..
- Brown I, Kleinman B. Epiglottic hematoma leading to airway obstruction after general anesthesia. J Clin Anesth. 2002;14:34-5 pubmed..Most important, this case emphasizes that patients receiving multiple anticoagulants--as our patient was--are at risk for airway bleeding, epiglottic hematoma formation, and airway obstruction. ..
- Maraganore D, Farrer M, McDonnell S, Elbaz A, Schaid D, Hardy J, et al. Case-control study of estrogen receptor gene polymorphisms in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord. 2002;17:509-12 pubmed..While exogenous and endogenous estrogen may modify the risk of PD in women, the two estrogen receptor gene polymorphisms considered here do not seem to contribute to PD susceptibility. ..
- Li D, Chen H, Staples E, Ozaki K, Annex B, Singh B, et al. Oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor LOX-1 and apoptosis in human atherosclerotic lesions. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2002;7:147-53 pubmed..Further, LOX-1 is colocalized with apoptotic cells. These observations may relate to the phenomenon of plaque rupture, and provide targets for developing new therapies. ..
- Lin G, Nishimura R, Connolly H, Dearani J, Sundt T, Hayes D. Severe symptomatic tricuspid valve regurgitation due to permanent pacemaker or implantable cardioverter-defibrillator leads. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;45:1672-5 pubmed..This etiology should be considered when evaluating patients with severe right heart failure after PPM or ICD implantation. ..
- Marcucci G, Mrozek K, Ruppert A, Maharry K, Kolitz J, Moore J, et al. Prognostic factors and outcome of core binding factor acute myeloid leukemia patients with t(8;21) differ from those of patients with inv(16): a Cancer and Leukemia Group B study. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:5705-17 pubmed
- Li H, Zhang Y, Glass A, Zellweger T, Gehan E, Bubendorf L, et al. Activation of signal transducer and activator of transcription-5 in prostate cancer predicts early recurrence. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:5863-8 pubmed..The results of this study need to be validated in a large prospective cohort. ..
- Deng X, Ewton D, Li S, Naqvi A, Mercer S, Landas S, et al. The kinase Mirk/Dyrk1B mediates cell survival in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res. 2006;66:4149-58 pubmed..Thus, Mirk is a survival factor for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Because knockout of Mirk does not cause embryonic lethality, Mirk is not essential for normal cell growth and may represent a novel therapeutic target. ..
- Mehta A, Lichtin A, Vigg A, Parambil J. Platelet larceny: spurious hypoxaemia due to extreme thrombocytosis. Eur Respir J. 2008;31:469-72 pubmed publisher..The present case report demonstrates spurious hypoxaemia due to extreme thrombocytosis and shows that, beside significant leukocytosis, even markedly elevated platelet counts can cause larceny of arterial blood oxygen. ..
- LaBeaud A, Muchiri E, Ndzovu M, Mwanje M, Muiruri S, Peters C, et al. Interepidemic Rift Valley fever virus seropositivity, northeastern Kenya. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:1240-6 pubmed publisher..Rural Gumarey reported more mosquito and animal exposure than Sogan-Godud. Seropositive persons were more likely to have visual impairment and retinal lesions; other physical findings did not differ. ..
- Slater J, Guarino T, Stack J, Vinod K, Bustami R, Brown J, et al. Cerebral oxygen desaturation predicts cognitive decline and longer hospital stay after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;87:36-44; discussion 44-5 pubmed publisher..007]. Intraoperative cerebral oxygen desaturation is significantly associated with an increased risk of cognitive decline and prolonged hospital stay after CABG. ..
- Oberheim N, Takano T, Han X, He W, Lin J, Wang F, et al. Uniquely hominid features of adult human astrocytes. J Neurosci. 2009;29:3276-87 pubmed publisher..On this basis, we posit that this astrocytic complexity has permitted the increased functional competence of the adult human brain. ..
- Hatt S, Leske D, Bradley E, Cole S, Holmes J. Comparison of quality-of-life instruments in adults with strabismus. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;148:558-62 pubmed publisher..The new AS-20 seems to be more sensitive than the VFQ-25 for detecting reduced HRQOL in Adult Strabismus, and therefore may be a more useful tool for clinical assessment and clinical trials. ..
- Quill T, Arnold R, Back A. Discussing treatment preferences with patients who want "everything". Ann Intern Med. 2009;151:345-9 pubmed
- Cobb S, Wider C, Ross O, Mata I, Adler C, Rajput A, et al. GCH1 in early-onset Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord. 2009;24:2070-5 pubmed publisher..This study does not support a significant role for genetic variation at the GCH1 locus in EOPD. However, our results further highlight the relevance of PRKN screening in familial EOPD. ..
- Lin T, Ruppert A, Johnson A, Fischer B, Heerema N, Andritsos L, et al. Phase II study of flavopiridol in relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia demonstrating high response rates in genetically high-risk disease. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:6012-8 pubmed publisher..Subsequent clinical trials should use the amended treatment schedule developed herein and prophylactic corticosteroids. ..
- Antiochos B, Brown L, Li Z, Tosteson T, Wortmann R, Rigby W. Malignancy is associated with dermatomyositis but not polymyositis in Northern New England, USA. J Rheumatol. 2009;36:2704-10 pubmed publisher..To retrospectively evaluate the association of idiopathic inflammatory myopathy (IIM) and malignancy in patients seen at 1 academic center over a 23-year period...
- White K, Borrell L, Wong D, Galea S, Ogedegbe G, Glymour M. Racial/ethnic residential segregation and self-reported hypertension among US- and foreign-born blacks in New York City. Am J Hypertens. 2011;24:904-10 pubmed publisher..Further studies should determine whether this association is observed in other cities and identify factors that may mitigate against the adverse effects of segregation. ..
- Walker A, Maxim L, Utell M. Are airborne refractory ceramic fibers similar to asbestos in their carcinogenicity?. Inhal Toxicol. 2012;24:416-24 pubmed publisher..Animal studies on refractory ceramic fiber (RCF) have led to the suggestion that RCF might resemble asbestos in carcinogenicity. Human data are available to test this hypothesis...
- Tawfik K, Kimler B, Davis M, Fan F, Tawfik O. Ki-67 expression in axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer is prognostically significant. Hum Pathol. 2013;44:39-46 pubmed publisher..Identification of subgroups of patients in whom Ki-67 expression in lymph nodes differs from expression in primary tumor may assist in the selection of therapeutic options. ..
- Yamada T, Lau Y, Litovsky S, Thomas McElderry H, Doppalapudi H, Osorio J, et al. Prevalence and clinical, electrocardiographic, and electrophysiologic characteristics of ventricular arrhythmias originating from the noncoronary sinus of Valsalva. Heart Rhythm. 2013;10:1605-12 pubmed publisher..Idiopathic ventricular arrhythmias (VAs) can be rarely ablated from the noncoronary cusp (NCC) of the aorta...
- Rhim A, Thege F, Santana S, Lannin T, Saha T, Tsai S, et al. Detection of circulating pancreas epithelial cells in patients with pancreatic cystic lesions. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:647-51 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that cancer cells are present in the circulation of patients before tumors are detected, which might be used in risk assessment. ..
- Gordan V, Riley J, Geraldeli S, Williams O, Spoto J, Gilbert G. The decision to repair or replace a defective restoration is affected by who placed the original restoration: findings from the National Dental PBRN. J Dent. 2014;42:1528-34 pubmed publisher..Most dentists who placed the original restoration were prone to replace it, however if the defective restoration was located in a molar tooth they would consider repairing it. ..
- Sims M, Diez Roux A, Gebreab S, Brenner A, Dubbert P, Wyatt S, et al. Perceived discrimination is associated with health behaviours among African-Americans in the Jackson Heart Study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2016;70:187-94 pubmed publisher..Higher levels of perceived discrimination were associated with select health behaviours among men and women. Health behaviours offer a potential mechanism through which perceived discrimination affects health in AA. ..
- Guo C, Sturm V, Zhou J, Gennatas E, Trujillo A, Hua A, et al. Dominant hemisphere lateralization of cortical parasympathetic control as revealed by frontotemporal dementia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E2430-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that networked brain regions in the dominant hemisphere are critical for maintaining an adaptive level of baseline parasympathetic outflow. ..
- Massick D, Yao S, Powell D, Griesen D, Hobgood T, Allen J, et al. Bedside tracheostomy in the intensive care unit: a prospective randomized trial comparing open surgical tracheostomy with endoscopically guided percutaneous dilational tracheotomy. Laryngoscope. 2001;111:494-500 pubmed..These findings will aid in the development of protocols and pathways for surgical airway management in critically ill patients to maximize cost-effective, high-quality care. ..
- Markman M, Kennedy A, Webster K, Peterson G, Kulp B, Belinson J. Combination chemotherapy with carboplatin and docetaxel in the treatment of cancers of the ovary and fallopian tube and primary carcinoma of the peritoneum. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:1901-5 pubmed..With the dose and schedule employed in this trial, neurotoxicity is uncommon. Defining a role for this regimen in routine clinical practice will require the conduct of randomized controlled clinical trials. ..
- Rawal Y, Angiero F, Allen C, Kalmar J, Sedghizadeh P, Steinhilber A. Gnathic osteoblastoma: clinicopathologic review of seven cases with long-term follow-up. Oral Oncol. 2006;42:123-30 pubmed..We stress on the need to correlate the histopathologic findings with clinical and radiographic features to reach an accurate diagnosis...
- Iczkowski K, Montironi R. Adenoid cystic/basal cell carcinoma of the prostate strongly expresses HER-2/neu. J Clin Pathol. 2006;59:1327-30 pubmed..Benign acini expressed HER-2/neu only in the basal layer. The finding of strong, consistent HER-2/neu expression in ACBCC suggests that treatment with Herceptin (trastuzumab) may be effective in patients with this rare tumour. ..
- Kenton K, Lowenstein L, Simmons J, Brubaker L. Aging and overactive bladder may be associated with loss of urethral sensation in women. Neurourol Urodyn. 2007;26:981-4 pubmed..These data reinforce the role of the urethra in lower urinary tract function. ..
- Sun R, Gu D. Air pollution, economic development of communities, and health status among the elderly in urban China. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;168:1311-8 pubmed publisher..20, 95% CI: 1.68, 2.86). Contrary to what has been found in the West, Chinese elderly who live in more developed urban areas are more susceptible to the effect of air pollution than are their counterparts living in less developed areas. ..
- Liu J, Butler K, Buxbaum S, Sung J, Campbell B, Taylor H. Leptinemia and its association with stroke and coronary heart disease in the Jackson Heart Study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2010;72:32-7 pubmed publisher..007). There is a significant association of leptin with stroke in women, which is partly influenced by the genetic factor. The findings suggest that leptinemia is an independent risk factor for stroke in African American women. ..
- Dalaker T, Larsen J, Bergsland N, Beyer M, Alves G, Dwyer M, et al. Brain atrophy and white matter hyperintensities in early Parkinson's disease(a). Mov Disord. 2009;24:2233-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that global structural brain changes are not a major feature in patients with incident PD. ..
- Gelb A, Flynn Taylor C, Krishnan A, Fraser C, Shinar C, Schein M, et al. Central and peripheral airway sites of nitric oxide gas exchange in COPD. Chest. 2010;137:575-84 pubmed publisher..Peripheral NO must be corrected for axial NO backdiffusion to avoid spurious conclusions. NCT #00568347. ..
- Agoliati A, Dexter F, Lok J, Masursky D, Sarwar M, Stuart S, et al. Meta-analysis of average and variability of time to extubation comparing isoflurane with desflurane or isoflurane with sevoflurane. Anesth Analg. 2010;110:1433-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, surgical facilities should use these values combined with their local data (e.g., mean baseline extubation times) when making evidence-based management decisions regarding pharmaceutical purchases and usage guidelines. ..
- Sinakos E, Saenger A, Keach J, Kim W, Lindor K. Many patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis and increased serum levels of carbohydrate antigen 19-9 do not have cholangiocarcinoma. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;9:434-9.e1 pubmed publisher..Thirty-seven percent of patients with PSC who have serum levels of CA 19-9 greater than 129 U/mL do not have CCA. Additional studies should be performed to determine the outcomes of these patients. ..
- Brasky T, Moysich K, Cohn D, White E. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and endometrial cancer risk in the VITamins And Lifestyle (VITAL) cohort. Gynecol Oncol. 2013;128:113-119 pubmed publisher..Aspirin should continue to be examined as a potential agent for cancer chemoprevention. ..
- Zile M, Kjellstrom B, Bennett T, Cho Y, Baicu C, Aaron M, et al. Effects of exercise on left ventricular systolic and diastolic properties in patients with heart failure and a preserved ejection fraction versus heart failure and a reduced ejection fraction. Circ Heart Fail. 2013;6:508-16 pubmed publisher..These differences likely reflect the different pathophysiologies of these clinical syndromes of HF. ..
- Kantor E, Lampe J, Kratz M, White E. Lifestyle factors and inflammation: associations by body mass index. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67833 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that posited anti-inflammatory drugs and behaviors may be less strongly associated with inflammation among the obese than among lower weight persons. ..
- Savica R, Grossardt B, Bower J, Boeve B, Ahlskog J, Rocca W. Incidence of dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson disease dementia. JAMA Neurol. 2013;70:1396-402 pubmed publisher..The incidence of DLB increases steeply with age and is markedly higher in men. This men to women difference may suggest different etiologic mechanisms. Our findings may guide health care planning and prompt new studies. ..
- Vogtmann E, Xiang Y, Li H, Cai Q, Wu Q, Xie L, et al. Cruciferous vegetables, glutathione S-transferase polymorphisms, and the risk of colorectal cancer among Chinese men. Ann Epidemiol. 2014;24:44-9 pubmed publisher..This study provides no evidence supporting the involvement of CV intake in the development of CRC in Chinese men. ..
- Hill Kayser C, Jacobs L, Gabriel P, Palmer S, Hampshire M, Vachani C, et al. Feasibility Study of an Electronic Interface Between Internet-Based Survivorship Care Plans and Electronic Medical Records. J Oncol Pract. 2016;12:e380-7 pubmed publisher..Future directions include further clinical testing, assessment of provider-perceived usefulness, and integration into routine clinical care. ..
- Rios Diaz A, Herrera Escobar J, Lilley E, Appelson J, Gabbe B, Brasel K, et al. Routine inclusion of long-term functional and patient-reported outcomes into trauma registries: The FORTE project. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:97-104 pubmed publisher..Prognostic/epidemiologic, level II; Therapeutic, level III. ..
- Detsky M, Harhay M, Bayard D, Delman A, Buehler A, Kent S, et al. Discriminative Accuracy of Physician and Nurse Predictions for Survival and Functional Outcomes 6 Months After an ICU Admission. JAMA. 2017;317:2187-2195 pubmed publisher..Predictions of long-term survival and functional outcomes influence decision making for critically ill patients, yet little is known regarding their accuracy...
- Wilson P, Ben Yehuda O, McNamara J, Massaro J, Witztum J, Reaven P. Autoantibodies to oxidized LDL and cardiovascular risk: the Framingham Offspring Study. Atherosclerosis. 2006;189:364-8 pubmed..Autoantibodies to oxidized LDL were strongly related to age and were not related to incident CHD or CVD over 8 years of follow up. ..
- Yahia A, Gordon V, Whapham J, Malek A, Steel J, Fessler R. Complications of Neuroform stent in endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms. Neurocrit Care. 2008;8:19-30 pubmed..Further studies are warranted to identify any potential relationship between post-stent hyperactive platelets and thromboembolism. ..
- Turtzo L, Gailloud P, Gottesman R. Treatment of limb-shaking TIAs with external carotid artery stenting. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2009;111:695-8 pubmed publisher..After angioplasty and stenting of her left ECA, her symptoms resolved...
- Mendenhall N, Li Z, Hoppe B, Marcus R, Mendenhall W, Nichols R, et al. Early outcomes from three prospective trials of image-guided proton therapy for prostate cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012;82:213-21 pubmed publisher..To report early outcomes with image-guided proton therapy for prostate cancer...
- Chu L, Portugal C, Kawatkar A, Stohl W, Nichol M. Racial/ethnic differences in the use of biologic disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs among California Medicaid rheumatoid arthritis patients. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013;65:299-303 pubmed publisher..In this Medi-Cal population, with its racial diversity and relatively homogenous socioeconomic status and health care benefits, racial/ethnic differences were found in RA patients receiving biologic DMARDs. ..
- Bazarian J, Blyth B, He H, Mookerjee S, Jones C, Kiechle K, et al. Classification accuracy of serum Apo A-I and S100B for the diagnosis of mild traumatic brain injury and prediction of abnormal initial head computed tomography scan. J Neurotrauma. 2013;30:1747-54 pubmed publisher..Because of significant subgroup variation in classification accuracy, age and race need to be considered when using S100B to classify subjects for mTBI. ..
- Frank A, Zhao B, Jose P, Azar K, Fortmann S, Palaniappan L. Racial/ethnic differences in dyslipidemia patterns. Circulation. 2014;129:570-9 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to determine how racial/ethnic differences in dyslipidemia affect racial/ethnic differences in cardiovascular disease rates. ..
- McCauley L, Webb B, Sorensen J, Dean N. Use of Tracheal Aspirate Culture in Newly Intubated Patients with Community-Onset Pneumonia. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016;13:376-81 pubmed publisher..Tracheal aspirate culture offers important additive diagnostic value to other routine tests. ..
- D Silva L, Staecker H, Lin J, Sykes K, Phadnis M, McMahon T, et al. Retrospective data suggests that the higher prevalence of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo in individuals with type 2 diabetes is mediated by hypertension. J Vestib Res. 2016;25:233-9 pubmed publisher..Hypertension may provide the mediating pathway by which diabetes affects the vestibular system. Individuals with complaints of dizziness, with comorbidities including hypertension and diabetes, may benefit from a screening for BPPV. ..