Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Taiwan
Publications581 found, 100 shown here
- Chen J, Chen S, Liu W, Su H, Chen C, Mai H, et al. Determinants of peripheral arterial stiffness in patients with chronic kidney disease in southern Taiwan. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2009;25:366-73 pubmed publisher..In addition to the traditional atherosclerotic risk factors, decreased eGFR was also correlated with PAOD and increased arterial stiffness in these patients. ..
- Wang C, Chen C, Hsiao C, Chiang F, Hsu L, Chiou H, et al. Arsenic-induced QT dispersion is associated with atherosclerotic diseases and predicts long-term cardiovascular mortality in subjects with previous exposure to arsenic: A 17-Year follow-up study. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2010;10:17-26 pubmed publisher..QTD may be indicated as an early biomarker for atherosclerotic diseases and a significant and strong predictor of cardiovascular mortality in population with chronic arsenic exposure. ..
- Liaw M, Chen C, Chen J, Tang F, Wong A, Ho H. Effects of Knight-Taylor brace on balance performance in osteoporotic patients with vertebral compression fracture. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2009;22:75-81 pubmed publisher..Its use decreases the fall frequency but limits the directional control in severe osteoporotic patients with vertebral compression fracture. ..
- Lee H, Hwang J, Jeng J, Wang J. Quality-adjusted life expectancy (QALE) and loss of QALE for patients with ischemic stroke and intracerebral hemorrhage: a 13-year follow-up. Stroke. 2010;41:739-44 pubmed publisher..1 quality-adjusted life-years) because of younger ages. The lifelong health burden due to stroke was approximately 9.5 quality-adjusted life-years and should be considered in future cost-effectiveness analyses for prevention. ..
- Hsu P, Yang T, Kao J, Cheng K, Lee Y, Wang Y, et al. Increased PD-1 and decreased CD28 expression in chronic hepatitis B patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver Int. 2010;30:1379-86 pubmed publisher..PD-1(+) tumour-infiltrating lymphocytes correlate with portal vein thrombosis and might serve as a potential prognostic marker of and a novel therapeutic target for HBV-related HCC. ..
- Chu P, Lee T, Chang S. Impact and management of airway obstruction in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx. Head Neck. 2011;33:98-102 pubmed publisher..We compared postoperative complications and oncologic results after laryngectomy of patients with laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), with and without airway obstruction...
- Lee T, Liu C, Kuo Y, Mills M, Fong J, Hung C. Application of data mining to the identification of critical factors in patient falls using a web-based reporting system. Int J Med Inform. 2011;80:141-50 pubmed publisher..24%, and NPV of 87.12%. In addition to medication use such as anti-psychotic and diuretics, nursing intervention where a fall assessment is conducted could represent a critical factor related to outcomes of fall incidence. ..
- Chen Y, Huang A, Chan A, Shieh T, Lin L. Human dental pulp stem cells derived from different cryopreservation methods of human dental pulp tissues of diseased teeth. J Oral Pathol Med. 2011;40:793-800 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that hDPSCs isolated from diseased but vital teeth of various tooth types can be stored in liq N(2) for future usage. ..
- Chen C, Lin M, Tien Y, Yen C, Huang G, Inouye S. Modified hospital elder life program: effects on abdominal surgery patients. J Am Coll Surg. 2011;213:245-52 pubmed publisher..This program, conducted by a trained nurse, was not costly but did require commitment and ongoing cooperation between physician and nursing leadership to achieve compliance with the protocols. ..
- Hsu K, Lee H, Lan S, Huang S, Chen C, Yen Y. Evaluation of a self-assessed screening test for masticatory ability of Taiwanese older adults. Gerodontology. 2012;29:e1113-20 pubmed publisher..Hence, the 14-food group questionnaire can be considered the best screening test for masticatory ability of Taiwanese older adults in terms of the presence of 20 and more natural teeth and at least 8 FTUs. ..
- Chen T, Chang C, Lin C, Jenq C, Chang M, Tian Y, et al. Acute kidney injury biomarkers for patients in a coronary care unit: a prospective cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32328 pubmed publisher..Our data showed that serum CysC has the best discriminative power for predicting AKI in CCU patients. However, urinary NGAL and serum IL-18 are associated with short-term mortality in these critically ill patients. ..
- Wu C, Huang Y, Lee J, Chiang L, Chiang F, Huang S, et al. Cardiac myosin binding protein C and MAP-kinase activating death domain-containing gene polymorphisms and diastolic heart failure. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35242 pubmed publisher..10 (1.53-2.89); permuted p = 0.029). We identified a SNP (rs2290149) among the tagging SNP set that was significantly associated with early DHF in a Chinese population. ..
- Lin Y, Chuang H, Chen C, Armas G, Chen H, Fang F, et al. Clinical significance of erythropoietin receptor expression in oral squamous cell carcinoma. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:194 pubmed publisher..High EPOR expression in OSCC is associated with an aggressive tumor behavior and poorer prognosis in the univariate analysis among patients with OSCC. Thus, EPOR expression may serve as a treatment target for OSCC in the future. ..
- Liao C, Chiu W, Yeh C, Chang H, Chen T. Risk and outcomes for traumatic brain injury in patients with mental disorders. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2012;83:1186-92 pubmed publisher..Patients with mental disorders have an increased risk of TBI. Intensity of psychiatric medication is associated with increased post-injury mortality. Special attention to prevent TBI among this disabled population is mandatory. ..
- Wang H, Chung U. Healthy lifestyle changes during the period before and after cancer diagnosis among breast cancer survivors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2012;13:4769-72 pubmed..It is expected that these results can offer references of self-care for this group of patients. ..
- Cheng Y, Wang Y, Kao W, Chen P, Huo T, Huang Y, et al. Inverse association between hepatitis B virus infection and fatty liver disease: a large-scale study in populations seeking for check-up. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72049 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, metabolic factors and HBV infection were associated with elevated serum ALT levels in fatty liver disease. ..
- Wu I, Hsieh H, Yu F, Wu M, Wu T, Wu M. A long-term risk-benefit analysis of low-dose aspirin in primary prevention. Eur J Clin Invest. 2016;46:130-40 pubmed publisher..A long-term regular use of low-dose aspirin might not be better than occasional use in the primary prevention against major vascular diseases and cancer. ..
- Lee C, Ho H, Su Y, Chen P, Yu C, Yang C. Comparison of different comorbidity measures for oral cancer patients with surgical intervention: A longitudinal study from a single cancer center. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2016;43:322-9 pubmed publisher..A higher ECIS was associated with worse disease specific survival indicative of a valuable prognostic indicator. The ECIS may be considered in further clinical trials for a variety of cancers, including head and neck cancers. ..
- Wang L, Chen Y, Ho C, Hsueh Liu Y, Chou F, Liu Y, et al. Fractionated Boron Neutron Capture Therapy in Locally Recurrent Head and Neck Cancer: A Prospective Phase I/II Trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;95:396-403 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested that 2-fraction BNCT with adaptive dose prescription was effective and safe in locally recurrent H&N cancer. Modifications to our protocol may yield more satisfactory results in the future. ..
- Kao T, Chen P, Hsieh C, Chiang H, Tsang L, Yang I, et al. Correlations between spiritual beliefs and health-related quality of life of chronic hemodialysis patients in Taiwan. Artif Organs. 2009;33:576-9 pubmed publisher..02) than patients with weak beliefs. HD patients with no or strong spiritual beliefs had higher SF HRQOL than those with weak spiritual beliefs. ..
- Lee F, Lee T, Pan C, Huang A, Chau L. Colocalization of iron and ceroid in human atherosclerotic lesions. Atherosclerosis. 1998;138:281-8 pubmed..Collectively, these observations support the theory that the lipid oxidation occurring in lipid-laden cells of aortic lesions is facilitated by iron-overload in these cells. ..
- Jan Y, Chen H, Chen M. Malignancy in choledochal cysts. Hepatogastroenterology. 2002;49:100-3 pubmed..Malignancy in the choledochal cyst should be highly suspected in patients with cholangitis symptoms, body weight loss and anemia. Prognosis in this disease entity is poor. ..
- Wang Y, Huang T, Liang H, Su T, Chen S, Wang T. Fasting serum levels of adiponectin, ghrelin, and leptin in men with spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005;86:1964-8 pubmed..Men with SCI had a tendency toward higher serum adiponectin level than able-bodied controls. Serum levels of ghrelin in men with SCI were similar to those of controls. ..
- Peng F, Chang C, Yang C, Edwards R, Doehmer J. Territrems B and C metabolism in human liver microsomes: major role of CYP3A4 and CYP3A5. Toxicology. 2006;218:172-85 pubmed..It was therefore suggest that CYP3A4 and CYP3A5 are the major enzymes responsible for TRB and TRC metabolism by human liver microsomes. ..
- Lin Y, Lin C, Lai H, Chiou J, Chang C, Yu M, et al. Plasma proteomic pattern as biomarkers for ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006;16 Suppl 1:139-46 pubmed..The identified gained and lost protein peaks in plasma may provide as candidate proteins to be used for the detection or monitoring ovarian cancer. ..
- Lin S, Wang Y, Lin H, Lee K, Huang C, Liu C, et al. Serum thrombomodulin level relates to the clinical course of disseminated intravascular coagulation, multiorgan dysfunction syndrome, and mortality in patients with sepsis. Crit Care Med. 2008;36:683-9 pubmed publisher..Serum concentrations of thrombomodulin may be used in monitoring disseminated intravascular coagulation and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome in these patients. ..
- Chang M, Liu C, Chen T. Polymethylmethacrylate augmentation of pedicle screw for osteoporotic spinal surgery: a novel technique. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008;33:E317-24 pubmed publisher..A retrospective study to evaluate the clinical results of patients with osteoporosis and various spinal diseases treated surgically with polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) augmented pedicle screw...
- Chou Y, Lin T, Lin J, Wang N, Peng M, Chang F. Vancomycin-resistant enterococcal bacteremia: comparison of clinical features and outcome between Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus faecalis. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2008;41:124-9 pubmed..faecium had a grave prognosis, especially immunosuppressed patients. The prudent use of antibiotics and strict enforcement of infection control may prevent further emergence and spread of VRE. ..
- Chou N, Wang S, Chen Y, Yu H, Chi N, Wang C, et al. Induction immunosuppression with basiliximab in heart transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2008;40:2623-5 pubmed publisher..No acute rejection > or = grade 2R or rejection associated with hemodynamic compromise was noted during the whole course. Basiliximab as induction immunosuppressant was simple, safe, and effective after HT. ..
- Lin Y, Huang J, Liu S, Yu M, Tsai C, Yang J, et al. Performance characteristics of two real-time PCR assays for quantification of hepatitis B virus DNA. Scand J Infect Dis. 2009;41:614-8 pubmed publisher..24+/-1.83 vs 4.79+/-2.09 log IU/ml, p<0.001). This study demonstrated that both RealArt and COBAS assays were comparable regarding clinical performance in HBV DNA measurement. ..
- Fan H, Chen T, Hsieh C, Jan H, His S, De Chuan C, et al. Liver transplantation is an alternative treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma beyond the Milan criteria. Am J Surg. 2010;200:252-7 pubmed publisher..5% for the LT group. The median overall survival duration showed no statistically difference between the LR group (28.0 months) and the LT group (50.0 months). LT may be the better choice for patients with HCC beyond the Milan criteria. ..
- Chen S, Fu J, Wang C, Lee T, Chen S. Fournier gangrene: a review of 41 patients and strategies for reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2010;64:765-9 pubmed publisher..Several reconstructive modalities are useful to correct the tissue defect. Early debridement and reconstructive surgery for wound coverage improve the quality of life...
- Wang V, Chen S, Chuang T, Shan D, Soong B, Kao M. Val-9Ala and Ile+58Thr polymorphism of MnSOD in Parkinson's disease. Clin Biochem. 2010;43:979-82 pubmed publisher..In this study the polymorphisms at codons -9 and+58 did not give informative association evidences with PD. ..
- Hsu H, Huang P, Chang Y, Tzao C, Chen Y, Shih H, et al. Cucurbitacin I inhibits tumorigenic ability and enhances radiochemosensitivity in nonsmall cell lung cancer-derived CD133-positive cells. Cancer. 2011;117:2970-85 pubmed publisher..Targeting STAT3 signaling in CD133-positive NSCLC cells with cucurbitacin I suppressed CSC-like properties and enhanced chemoradiotherapy response. The potential of cucurbitacin I should be verified further in future anti-CSC therapy. ..
- Shu C, Lin Y, Hsu N, Ko W. Risk factors for 30-day readmission in general medical patients admitted from the emergency department: a single centre study. Intern Med J. 2012;42:677-82 pubmed publisher..7%. Post-discharge care should focus on patients with higher Charlson score, longer hospitalisation, anaemia and underlying active malignancy, which are independent predictive factors for 30-day readmission. ..
- Kao T, Chou C, Wang C, Chou C, Hu J, Chen W. Associations between serum total bilirubin levels and functional dependence in the elderly. Intern Med J. 2012;42:1199-207 pubmed publisher..05 for all trends). Higher serum total bilirubin levels were associated with lower likelihood of functional dependence in older adults. ..
- Luo Y, Wu C, Wu W, Huang C, Su W, Tsai C, et al. Association between tumor epidermal growth factor receptor mutation and pulmonary tuberculosis in patients with adenocarcinoma of the lungs. J Thorac Oncol. 2012;7:299-305 pubmed publisher..271). Patients with pulmonary adenocarcinoma who had scar cancer or had old TB lesions had a higher probability of having EGFR mutations, especially exon 19 deletions. ..
- Hsieh C, Pei D, Hung Y, Hsiao F. Association between retinoid-X receptor-gamma genetic polymorphisms and diabetic retinopathy. Genet Mol Res. 2011;10:3545-51 pubmed publisher..388; 95% confidence interval = 1.17-4.875). We conclude that the RXR-gamma rs3818569 SNP is associated with diabetic retinopathy development in the Taiwanese population. ..
- Lee I, Liu J, Yang K. Fatal dengue hemorrhagic fever in adults: emphasizing the evolutionary pre-fatal clinical and laboratory manifestations. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1532 pubmed publisher..Antibiotic(s) should be empirically used for patients at risk for bacteremia until it is proven otherwise, especially in those with early altered consciousness and leukocytosis. ..
- Kung C, Hsiao S, Tsai T, Su C, Chang W, Huang C, et al. Plasma nuclear and mitochondrial DNA levels as predictors of outcome in severe sepsis patients in the emergency room. J Transl Med. 2012;10:130 pubmed publisher..7%. Plasma DNA has potential use for predicting outcome in septic patients arriving at the emergency room. Plasma mitochondrial DNA level on admission is a more powerful predictor than lactate concentration or SOFA scores on admission. ..
- Fang P, Lin W, Tsai N, Chang W, Huang C, Chang H, et al. Bacterial brain abscess in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma following radiotherapy: microbiology, clinical features and therapeutic outcomes. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:204 pubmed publisher..Radiation necrosis can mimic brain abscess on neuro-imaging and pose significant diagnostic challenges. Early diagnosis and treatment is essential for survival. ..
- Hung C, Po H, Liu C, Yen C, Wu Y, Hou C, et al. The utilization of carotid artery imaging beyond metabolic scores and high-sensitivity CRP in screening intermediate-to-high Framingham risk of asymptomatic Taiwanese population. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013;29:765-75 pubmed publisher..Carotid artery study added significant clinical incremental value in discriminating projected risk beyond metabolic scores and hs-CRP. ..
- Su S, Chen Y, Tsai T, Huang S, Lin C, Chen T, et al. Catheter-related Mycobacterium abscessus bacteremia manifested with skin nodules, pneumonia, and mediastinal lymphadenopathy. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2013;29:50-4 pubmed publisher..With appropriate laboratory diagnosis, M. abscessus bacteremia with disseminated infections can improve with catheter removal and combination antimicrobial therapy. ..
- Lee J, Yang S, Yang P, Huang P. Single-incision laparo-thoracoscopic minimally invasive oesophagectomy to treat oesophageal cancerâ€ . Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016;49 Suppl 1:i59-63 pubmed publisher..Single-port MIO seems to be a feasible option for treating patients with oesophageal cancer, which requires further evaluation and follow-up in the future. ..
- Lu M, Yu H, Yu C, Huang H, Koo M, Tung C, et al. Increased expression of long noncoding RNAs LOC100652951 and LOC100506036 in T cells from patients with rheumatoid arthritis facilitates the inflammatory responses. Immunol Res. 2016;64:576-83 pubmed publisher..Treatment with biologic agents could lower the expression of LOC100652951 in RA T cells. LOC100506036 could regulate the expression of SMPD1 and NFAT1 and could contribute to the inflammatory responses in RA. ..
- Tai H, Tai T, Yang W, Wang S, Yu H. Associations between lower urinary tract dysfunction and glycemic control in women with type 2 diabetes: A cross-sectional study. J Diabetes Complications. 2016;30:415-9 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should, therefore, be aware of and educate patients about the association between urinary retention and glycemic control. ..
- Chen C, Li H, Liang J, Lai I, Purnomo J, Yang Y, et al. Effect of a Modified Hospital Elder Life Program on Delirium and Length of Hospital Stay in Patients Undergoing Abdominal Surgery: A Cluster Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Surg. 2017;152:827-834 pubmed publisher..Older patients undergoing abdominal surgery commonly experience preventable delirium, which extends their hospital length of stay (LOS)...
- Huang T, Lin C. Surgical treatment of chronic otitis media and Menière's syndrome. Laryngoscope. 1991;101:900-4 pubmed..the effectiveness of endolymphatic shunting procedures on control of incapacitating vertigo, thus supporting the contentions of other authors with regard to pathogenesis and sac enhancement in patients with COM and Menière's syndrome. ..
- Kuo M, Hsu H, Kok S, Kuo R, Yang H, Hahn L, et al. Prognostic role of p27(Kip1) expression in oral squamous cell carcinoma in Taiwan. Oral Oncol. 2002;38:172-8 pubmed..These results indicate that p27(Kip1) protein expression may serve as a putative new adjuvant prognostic marker for routine assessment of oral SCC patients. ..
- Yu Y, Chen T, Hong C, Chen H, Tsai S. Association study of the interleukin-1 beta (C-511T) genetic polymorphism with major depressive disorder, associated symptomatology, and antidepressant response. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2003;28:1182-5 pubmed..Further study with a larger sample is needed to clarify the role of the IL-1beta genetic polymorphisms in the symptoms and treatment effects in MDD. ..
- Hsi W, Chai H, Lai J. Evaluation of rocker sole by pressure-time curves in insensate forefoot during gait. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2004;83:500-6 pubmed..The rocker sole reduces plantar pressure in the insensate forefoot during gait, but the reasons have remained unclear. This study aimed to derive new variables descriptive of the effects of the rocker sole...
- Lin T, Chiu C, Huang C, Tsai K, Sheu S. Tuberculous pericardial abscess: a case report. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2005;21:322-5 pubmed..The patient was put on a 1-year treatment regimen of anti-tuberculosis medication. This case is an important reminder that tuberculosis can occur as a pericardial abscess. ..
- Chen C, Su M, Tung S, Chang F, Wong J, Geraint M. Evaluation of polyethylene glycol plus electrolytes in the treatment of severe constipation and faecal impaction in adults. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005;21:1595-602 pubmed..PEG+E, administered orally at a dose equivalent to eight 13.8 g sachets (1 L) per day over three days, was a highly effective and well tolerated therapy for the treatment of severe constipation and faecal impaction. ..
- Fu Y, Chien S, Huang P, Chen S, Tien Y, Lin G, et al. Use of an external fixation combined with the buttress-maintain pinning method in treating comminuted distal radius fractures in osteoporotic patients. J Trauma. 2006;60:330-3 pubmed..External fixation for unstable distal radius fracture combined with buttress-maintain pinning method can be used in the osteoporotic bone of older adults with results similar to those for young adults at 18 months follow-up. ..
- Liao S, Chang T, Lin L. Transcaruncular orbital decompression: an alternate procedure for Graves ophthalmopathy with compressive optic neuropathy. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006;141:810-818 pubmed..Advantages over other approaches included no external scar, less damage to adjacent tissue, and wide exposure to the entire medial wall. ..
- Lin H, Chai C, Su Y, Wu W, Huang C. Leukemoid reaction resulting from granulocyte colony-stimulating factor producing urothelial carcinoma of the renal pelvis. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2007;23:89-92 pubmed..We report a case of leukemoid reaction resulting from granulocyte colony-stimulating factor producing urothelial carcinoma of the renal pelvis as evidenced on immunohistochemical analysis...
- Tseng H, Su P, Liu H, Liou H, Yen R. Bilateral subthalamotomy for advanced Parkinson disease. Surg Neurol. 2007;68 Suppl 1:S43-50; discussion S50-1 pubmed..We sought to determine if bilateral surgery of the STN offers more benefits in the treatment of advanced PD...
- Tsai I, Woung L, Tsai C, Kuo L, Liu S, Lin S, et al. Trends in blind and low vision registrations in Taipei City. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2008;18:118-24 pubmed..To determine the overall reported incidence and causes of registrable blindness and low vision in Taipei, Taiwan, that have occurred in the previous 10 years...
- Lu H, Chou F, Yeh K, Chang Y, Hsu N, Chang J. Analysing the expression of protein kinase C eta in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Pathology. 2009;41:626-9 pubmed publisher..Reduced expression of PKCeta may represent a molecular lesion in the development of more aggressive disease of HCC. ..
- Chiu K, Tai W, Nakano T, Tseng H, Cheng Y, Jawan B, et al. Donor graft does not affect the P450 2C19 genotype expressed in peripheral blood in recipients of living donor liver transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2010;24:830-4 pubmed publisher..e., CYP2C19 genotypes in recipient PBMCs did not change after LDLT, suggesting that the donor liver did not render any mutations to the CYP2C19 genotypes after LT. ..
- Chu Y, Ng Y, Wu S. Comparison of different comorbidity measures for use with administrative data in predicting short- and long-term mortality. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:140 pubmed publisher..The comorbidity measurement developed by Elixhauser et al. has relatively good predictive validity, and researchers should consider its use in claims-based studies. ..
- Lai I, Chu P, Lin H, Liou J, Jan Y, Lee J, et al. Phosphorylation of focal adhesion kinase at Tyr397 in gastric carcinomas and its clinical significance. Am J Pathol. 2010;177:1629-37 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results have provided valuable insights for the development of novel diagnoses and therapeutic targets for gastric cancer treatments. ..
- Pan J, Cheng T, Shih C, Chiang S, Chou S, Mao S, et al. Haptoglobin phenotypes and plasma haptoglobin levels in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm. J Vasc Surg. 2011;53:1189-94 pubmed publisher..024). Our findings suggest that plasma Hp concentrations are elevated in patients with AAA, particularly those with the Hp 2-2 phenotype. ..
- Huang Y, Liu C, Liu C, Pai J, Hong Y, Teng H, et al. Low absolute lymphocyte count and addition of rituximab confer high risk for interstitial pneumonia in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Ann Hematol. 2011;90:1145-51 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the incidence of IP is increased in patients with DLBCL receiving rituximab-containing chemotherapy. Specific subgroups with lymphopenia at diagnosis may justify close scrutiny to detect pulmonary complications. ..
- Kuo Y, Wu Y, Su K. Cutaneous larva migrans induced by swallowing live pond loaches. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2011;36:878-81 pubmed publisher..The parasite was confirmed as belonging to the genus Gnathostoma, most likely Gnathostoma doloresi. The patient recovered uneventfully without treatment, and had no symptoms at his 12-month follow-up visit...
- Chen L, Lin S, Yu M. Nonmucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphomas of gastric and intestinal origin differ in their clinical features: a single institute experience. J Chin Med Assoc. 2011;74:400-7 pubmed publisher..Because of the limited number of enrolled patients, further large-scale studies are warranted to validate these results. ..
- Chen C, Chiu C, Yang C. Ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy for treating incompetent great saphenous veins--results of 5 years of analysis and morphologic evolvement study. Dermatol Surg. 2012;38:851-7 pubmed publisher..Varicose veins of the lower leg is a common disease and is associated with long-term morbidity. It has been treated using high ligation with stripping and endovenous laser surgery of the great saphenous vein (GSV)...
- Liu H, Chen L, Huang S. Outpatient health care utilization of suicide decedents in their last year of life. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2012;42:445-52 pubmed publisher..Effective prediction or prevention of potential suicides through increased awareness and surveillance of medical care resource utilization is possible, especially for male and young adult patients under mental disorder health care. ..
- Tseng C. Benign prostatic hyperplasia is a significant risk factor for bladder cancer in diabetic patients: a population-based cohort study using the National Health Insurance in Taiwan. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:7 pubmed publisher..719 (0.590, 0.875) for all ages and 0.742 (0.604, 0.912) for age ? 60?years. BPH is a significant risk factor for bladder cancer in men with type 2 diabetes. Metformin may protect against bladder cancer in BPH men. ..
- Huang J, Lien Y, Wu H, Yen C, Pan C, Hung T, et al. Lean body mass predicts long-term survival in Chinese patients on peritoneal dialysis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54976 pubmed publisher..LBM serves as a good parameter in addition to BMI to predict the survival of patients on PD. Preserving residual renal function and increasing protein intake can increase LBM. ..
- Hsu C, Tsou H, Lin S, Wang M, Yao M, Hwang W, et al. Chemotherapy-induced hepatitis B reactivation in lymphoma patients with resolved HBV infection: a prospective study. Hepatology. 2014;59:2092-100 pubmed publisher..Serological breakthrough (i.e., reappearance of HBsAg) is the most important predictor of HBV-related hepatitis flare. (Hepatology 2014;59:2092-2100). ..
- Han D, Hsiao M, Wang T, Chen S, Yang W. Relation between serum myokines and phase II cardiac rehabilitation. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6579 pubmed publisher..Serum IGF-1 is positively correlated with grip strength before training.Serum myostatin level is positively correlated to aerobic capacity, and IGF-1 level is positively correlated to grip strength in cardiac patients receiving CR. ..
- Liu T, Hou M, Lin H, Chang F, Lee S. Life-threatening hemobilia caused by hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm: a rare complication of chronic cholangitis. World J Gastroenterol. 2003;9:2883-4 pubmed..Angiography confirmed the bleeding from a pseudoaneurysm of the middle hepatic artery. Coil embolization achieved successful hemostasis. We discussed the mechanism and reviewed the literature...
- Chiu C, Wei P, Huang M, Wang W, Chen T, Lee W. Laparoscopic resection of appendiceal mucinous cystadenoma. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2005;15:325-8 pubmed..It is important to avoid tumor rupture during manipulation, and formation of pseudomyxoma peritonei, in case the tumor is malignant...
- Chang Y, Liu H, Shiao Y, Lin M, Lee D, Liu M, et al. A study of PSORS1C1 gene polymorphisms in Chinese patients with psoriasis. Br J Dermatol. 2005;153:90-6 pubmed..Our results indicate that the PSORS1C1 gene might not play an important role in the causation of chronic plaque psoriasis in Chinese people. ..
- Hung C, Lee C, Yang J, Liao P, Tu T, Chen T, et al. Clinical application of Carlsson's questionnaire to predict erosive GERD among healthy Chinese. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005;20:1900-5 pubmed..Esophagitis is positively related to higher BMI, alcohol consumption and being of male sex. Predicting the prevalence of esophagitis in a general population by using Carlsson's questionnaire was unsatisfactory. ..
- Chuang W, Wang H, Hsieh Y, Chang T, Kuo H, Huang C. Visual association memory test in differentiating early stage of Alzheimer's disease from vascular dementia. Acta Neurol Taiwan. 2006;15:98-104 pubmed..The VAMT, as revealed in this study, is a brief, simply administered, and less biased test, and may offer a diagnostic adjunct to differentiate AD from VaD especially in an early dementia state. ..
- Wu I, Wu D, Hsu P, Lu C, Yu F, Wang T, et al. Rabeprazole- versus esomeprazole-based eradication regimens for H. pylori infection. Helicobacter. 2007;12:633-7 pubmed..In conclusion, rabeprazole- and esomeprazole-based primary therapies for H. pylori infection are comparable in efficacy and safety. ..
- Chen H, Chang M, Yu W, Wang S, Liu C, Chen T. Lateral mass anchoring screws for cervical laminoplasty: preliminary report of a novel technique. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2008;21:387-92 pubmed publisher..All hinged sides had bony fusion. Although this is a small series, the preliminary results suggest that this simple lateral mass anchoring screw technique can provide a firm and secure anchor for elevated open lamina in laminoplasty. ..
- Chiang D, Wang C, Kuo H, Chen H, Chen T, Wang F, et al. Risk factors for mortality in patients with Acinetobacter baumannii bloodstream infection with genotypic species identification. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2008;41:397-402 pubmed..baumannii bloodstream infection. Physicians should be aware of patients with poor prognostic factors and initiate prompt strategies, including appropriate antimicrobial therapy, in order to reduce mortality. ..
- Chen C, Lai I, Wu P, Chen Y, Chen Y, Lee J, et al. Adjunctive intravitreal bevacizumab-combined trabeculectomy versus trabeculectomy alone in the treatment of neovascular glaucoma. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2010;26:111-8 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the effect of adjunctive intravitreal bevacizumab (ivBe) with trabeculectomy versus trabeculectomy alone in the management of patients with neovascular glaucoma (NVG)...
- Wang C, Ma M, Chou H, Yen Z, Yang C, Fang C, et al. High-dose vs non-high-dose proton pump inhibitors after endoscopic treatment in patients with bleeding peptic ulcer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170:751-8 pubmed publisher..However, to date no concrete evidence has shown that high-dose PPIs are more effective than non-high-dose PPIs...
- Hsieh F, Lien L, Chen S, Bai C, Sun M, Tseng H, et al. Get With the Guidelines-Stroke performance indicators: surveillance of stroke care in the Taiwan Stroke Registry: Get With the Guidelines-Stroke in Taiwan. Circulation. 2010;122:1116-23 pubmed publisher..GWTG-Stroke can be incorporated into ongoing stroke registries across nations. ..
- Tseng C. Prostate cancer mortality in Taiwanese men: increasing age-standardized trend in general population and increased risk in diabetic men. Ann Med. 2011;43:142-50 pubmed publisher..Prostate cancer mortality in the Taiwanese general population is increasing. Diabetic patients have a higher risk of prostate cancer mortality, which is more remarkable with decreasing age. ..
- Lu K, Yang H, Lin Y, Kao S, Lai C, Chu C, et al. The T-1237C polymorphism of the Toll-like receptor-9 gene is associated with chronic kidney disease in a Han Chinese population. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2011;225:109-16 pubmed..In the Han Chinese population, those who carry the C and A alleles at SNPs T-1237C and G1635A in the TLR-9 gene appear to be more susceptible to the development of CKD. ..
- Lee W, Chu C, Hsu P, Su H, Lin T, Voon W, et al. Comparison of antiplatelet and antithrombotic therapy for secondary prevention of ischemic stroke in patients with peripheral artery disease: population-based follow-up study in Taiwan. Circ J. 2013;77:1046-52 pubmed..Cilostazol and clopidogrel were more effective in preventing recurrent ischemic stroke without increased hemorrhagic events than aspirin in patients with PAD. ..
- Chen W, Tsao Y, Chang T, Chao T, Kao W, Chen Y, et al. Impact of interstitial pneumonia on the survival and risk factors analysis of patients with hematological malignancy. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:185362 pubmed publisher..Of interest, nIIP is a prognostic indicator in patients with lymphoma but not in patients with leukemia. However, aggressive management of IP in patients with HM is strongly advised, and further prospective survey is warranted. ..
- Yang C, Shih K, Liou J, Wu Y, Hsieh I, Lee H, et al. Denbinobin upregulates miR-146a expression and attenuates IL-1?-induced upregulation of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 expressions in osteoarthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes. J Mol Med (Berl). 2014;92:1147-58 pubmed publisher..It was due to denbinobin increased miR-146a level, which in turn inhibited NF-?B signaling. Our overall findings suggest that denbinobin can be used as a potent anti-inflammatory agent. ..
- Wang A, Fang C, Chen S, Tsai S, Kao W. Periarrest Modified Early Warning Score (MEWS) predicts the outcome of in-hospital cardiac arrest. J Formos Med Assoc. 2016;115:76-82 pubmed publisher..60-0.97, pÂ =Â 0.028). The simplest MEWS system not only can be used as a prevention measure, but the periarrest MEWS could also be considered as an independent predictor of mortality after in-hospital cardiac arrest. ..