Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Italy
Publications986 found, 100 shown here
- Pelucchi C, Tramacere I, Bertuccio P, Tavani A, Negri E, La Vecchia C. Dietary intake of selected micronutrients and gastric cancer risk: an Italian case-control study. Ann Oncol. 2009;20:160-5 pubmed publisher..Our data support a favourable effect on gastric cancer of vitamin E and selected carotenoids and a detrimental effect of sodium even at intermediate levels of intake. ..
- Ceruso M, Taddei F, Bigazzi P, Manfrini M. Vascularised fibula graft inlaid in a massive bone allograft: considerations on the bio-mechanical behaviour of the combined graft in segmental bone reconstructions after sarcoma resection. Injury. 2008;39 Suppl 3:S68-74 pubmed publisher..Two different remodelling patterns of the combined graft could be noted over time, that depended on the load trend on the vascularised fibula and that varied according to the persisting integrity of the allograft shell. ..
- Petralia G, Preda L, Giugliano G, Jereczek Fossa B, Rocca A, D Andrea G, et al. Perfusion computed tomography for monitoring induction chemotherapy in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract: correlation between changes in tumor perfusion and tumor volume. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2009;33:552-9 pubmed publisher..In patients with SCCA, CTp showed potential for monitoring induction chemotherapy, reduction in tumor BF and BV correlated with reduction of tumor volume after chemotherapy, and baseline tumor BV may predict response to chemotherapy. ..
- Notarnicola A, Moretti L, Tafuri S, Panella A, Filipponi M, Casalino A, et al. Shockwave therapy in the management of complex regional pain syndrome in medial femoral condyle of the knee. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2010;36:874-9 pubmed publisher..The therapeutic effects of SW were caused by decreasing pain. The significant improvements we obtained bear witness to the potential value of SW therapy in the management of CRPS. ..
- Podda M, Luksch R, Polastri D, Gandola L, Piva L, Collini P, et al. Neuroblastoma in patients over 12 years old: a 20-year experience at the Istituto Nazionale Tumori of Milan. Tumori. 2010;96:684-9 pubmed..As neuroblastoma is rare in adolescents and exceedingly rare in adults, few series are reported in the literature. In the present study, we analyzed the outcomes and clinical characteristics of a mono-institutional series...
- Aschbacher R, Pichon B, Spoladore G, Pagani E, Innocenti P, Moroder L, et al. High clonal heterogeneity of Panton-Valentine leukocidin-positive meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains from skin and soft-tissue infections in the Province of Bolzano, Northern Italy. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2012;39:522-5 pubmed publisher..The high heterogeneity of PVL-positive MRSA probably reflects the introduction of different clones by international travellers or immigrants. ..
- Rubino E, Rainero I, ChiÃ² A, Rogaeva E, Galimberti D, Fenoglio P, et al. SQSTM1 mutations in frontotemporal lobar degeneration and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurology. 2012;79:1556-62 pubmed publisher..SQSTM1 mutations are present in patients with FTLD and patients with ALS. Additional studies are warranted in order to better investigate the role of p62 in the pathogenesis of both FTLD and ALS. ..
- Bellevicine C, Iaccarino A, Malapelle U, Sasso F, Biondi B, Troncone G. PAX8 is expressed in anaplastic thyroid carcinoma diagnosed by fine-needle aspiration: a study of three cases with histological correlates. Eur J Endocrinol. 2013;169:307-11 pubmed publisher..The third sample, which had a spindle-cell pattern, showed less intense and more patchy staining. Matched histology yielded overlapping results. PAX8 immunocytochemistry can help cytopathologists to diagnose ATCs. ..
- Dozio E, Vianello E, Briganti S, Lamont J, Tacchini L, Schmitz G, et al. Expression of the Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products in Epicardial Fat: Link with Tissue Thickness and Local Insulin Resistance in Coronary Artery Disease. J Diabetes Res. 2016;2016:2327341 pubmed publisher..LAP was higher in patients with increased RAGE expression. Our data suggest that in CAD patients RAGE may be involved in promoting EAT adiposity and metabolic dysfunction, such as impaired insulin signaling. ..
- Patriarca C, Hurle R, Moschini M, Freschi M, Colombo P, Colecchia M, et al. Usefulness of pT1 substaging in papillary urothelial bladder carcinoma. Diagn Pathol. 2016;11:6 pubmed publisher..04). Our study shows that micrometric substaging is feasible in this setting and should be extended to include any early reTUR to complete the substaging done after the first TURB. It can also provide helpful prognostic information. ..
- Kumar A, Torres M, Cliby W, Kalli K, Bogani G, Aletti G, et al. Inflammatory and Nutritional Serum Markers as Predictors of Peri-operative Morbidity and Survival in Ovarian Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3673-3677 pubmed..These preoperative markers can be used for selection of patients for neoadjuvant chemotherapy at high risk of short survival, non-home discharge and long hospital stay. ..
- Feichtinger R, Oláhová M, Kishita Y, Garone C, Kremer L, Yagi M, et al. Biallelic C1QBP Mutations Cause Severe Neonatal-, Childhood-, or Later-Onset Cardiomyopathy Associated with Combined Respiratory-Chain Deficiencies. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:525-538 pubmed publisher..C1QBP deficiency represents an important mitochondrial disorder associated with a clinical spectrum ranging from infantile lactic acidosis to childhood (cardio)myopathy and late-onset progressive external ophthalmoplegia. ..
- Capalbo S, Battista C, Delia M, Ciancio A, De Santis G, Dargenio M, et al. Evaluation of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and erythropoietin serum levels in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia patients with anemia. Acta Haematol. 2002;108:84-9 pubmed..Compared to other CLL patients with anemia, these CLL patients might better respond to therapy with recombinant human Epo in pharmacological doses. ..
- Minuz P, Patrignani P, Gaino S, Degan M, Menapace L, Tommasoli R, et al. Increased oxidative stress and platelet activation in patients with hypertension and renovascular disease. Circulation. 2002;106:2800-5 pubmed..Moreover, persistent platelet activation triggered or amplified by bioactive isoprostanes may contribute to the progression of cardiovascular and renal damage in this setting. ..
- Pelosi G, Scarpa A, Veronesi G, Spaggiari L, Del Curto B, Moore P, et al. A subset of high-grade pulmonary neuroendocrine carcinomas shows up-regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-7 associated with nuclear beta-catenin immunoreactivity, independent of EGFR and HER-2 gene amplification or expression. Virchows Arch. 2005;447:969-77 pubmed..A minor subset of these tumors shows beta-catenin nuclear accumulation in association with increased expression of MMP-7, but not of cyclin D1, independent of EGFR and HER-2 gene amplification or expression. ..
- Sica G, Sileri P, Gaspari A. Laparoscopic treatment of Bouveret's syndrome presenting as acute pancreatitis. JSLS. 2005;9:472-5 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first described case. Cause, clinical presentation, methods of diagnosis, and options for management of Bouveret's syndrome are also discussed. ..
- Galimberti D, Scarpini E, Venturelli E, Strobel A, Herterich S, Fenoglio C, et al. Association of a NOS1 promoter repeat with Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging. 2008;29:1359-65 pubmed..83). Therefore, short alleles of the NOS1 exon 1f-VNTR are likely to be susceptibility factors for AD, and interact with the epsilon 4 allele to markedly increase the AD risk. ..
- Redaelli A. Medical rhinoplasty with hyaluronic acid and botulinum toxin A: a very simple and quite effective technique. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2008;7:210-20 pubmed publisher..Results are satisfactory and no side effects have been reported so far. Results will last for a long time. ..
- Minig L, Biffi R, Zanagnolo V, Attanasio A, Beltrami C, Bocciolone L, et al. Reduction of postoperative complication rate with the use of early oral feeding in gynecologic oncologic patients undergoing a major surgery: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16:3101-10 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these findings, the policy of EOF should be used after a complex gynecologic oncologic laparotomy. ..
- Metra M, Covolo L, Pezzali N, Zaca V, Bugatti S, Lombardi C, et al. Role of beta-adrenergic receptor gene polymorphisms in the long-term effects of beta-blockade with carvedilol in patients with chronic heart failure. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2010;24:49-60 pubmed publisher..Beta1-AR Arg389Gly and beta2-AR Arg16Gly SNPs are not related to the response to carvedilol therapy. In contrast, the Gln27Glu SNP is a determinant of the LVEF response to this agent in patients with chronic HF. ..
- Beghi E, Logroscino G, ChiÃ² A, Hardiman O, Millul A, Mitchell D, et al. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, physical exercise, trauma and sports: results of a population-based pilot case-control study. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2010;11:289-92 pubmed publisher..68-10.88) and duration of sport-related physical exercise (OR 1.03; 95% CI 1.00-1.05) were independent variables in multivariate analysis. We concluded that ALS is associated with physical exercise but not with traumatic events. ..
- Deandrea S, Lucenteforte E, Bravi F, Foschi R, La Vecchia C, Negri E. Risk factors for falls in community-dwelling older people: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Epidemiology. 2010;21:658-68 pubmed publisher..Some nonspecific indicators of high baseline risk were also strong predictors of the risk of falling. ..
- Viscardi F, Vergara C, Antiga L, Merelli S, Veneziani A, Puppini G, et al. Comparative finite element model analysis of ascending aortic flow in bicuspid and tricuspid aortic valve. Artif Organs. 2010;34:1114-20 pubmed publisher..This supports the hypothesis that hemodynamic factors may contribute to ascending aortic pathology in this subset of patients. ..
- Ciaramitaro P, Mondelli M, Logullo F, Grimaldi S, Battiston B, Sard A, et al. Traumatic peripheral nerve injuries: epidemiological findings, neuropathic pain and quality of life in 158 patients. J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2010;15:120-7 pubmed publisher..Severe neuropathic pain and not only disability contributed to worsening the quality of life in patients with traumatic neuropathies. ..
- Rossetti A, Doro D, Manfre A, Midena E. Long-term follow-up with optical coherence tomography and microperimetry in eyes with metamorphopsia after macula-off retinal detachment repair. Eye (Lond). 2010;24:1808-13 pubmed publisher..to report the long-term sequential morphological and functional results in eyes with metamorphopsia after retinal detachment (RD) repair...
- Maurichi A, Miceli R, Camerini T, Contiero P, Patuzzo R, Tragni G, et al. Pure desmoplastic melanoma: a melanoma with distinctive clinical behavior. Ann Surg. 2010;252:1052-7 pubmed publisher..MDM behaves similarly to other melanomas; treatment should follow guidelines on melanoma management. ..
- Miglietta L, Vanella P, Canobbio L, Naso C, Cerisola N, Meszaros P, et al. Prognostic value of estrogen receptor and Ki-67 index after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer expressing high levels of proliferation at diagnosis. Oncology. 2010;79:255-61 pubmed publisher..Her2 overexpression was the only factor to impact on the clinical response. Post-treatment Ki-67 and ER status were predictors of outcome for patients with locally advanced breast cancer and a high pre-chemotherapy proliferation index. ..
- Tursi A, Elisei W, Giorgetti G, Picchio M, Brandimarte G. Efficacy, tolerability, and factors affecting the efficacy of the sequential therapy in curing Helicobacter pylori infection in clinical setting. J Investig Med. 2011;59:917-20 pubmed publisher..84%, 95% C.I. 78.90% to 86.19%) as per-protocol and intention-to-treat analyses, respectively. Sequential regimen seems to be a valid therapeutic strategy for the management of H. pylori infection in clinical practice. ..
- Ditto A, Martinelli F, Mattana F, Reato C, Solima E, Carcangiu M, et al. Class III nerve-sparing radical hysterectomy versus standard class III radical hysterectomy: an observational study. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18:3469-78 pubmed publisher..The nerve-sparing technique should be considered in all CC patients addressed to surgery because it improves functional outcome and preserves radicality without compromising overall survival. ..
- Cerami C, Marcone A, Galimberti D, Villa C, Scarpini E, Cappa S. From genotype to phenotype: two cases of genetic frontotemporal lobar degeneration with premorbid bipolar disorder. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;27:791-7 pubmed publisher..11019_11022delCACT mutation in Northern Italy. On this basis, we recommend to consider the presence of this mutation as a possible cause of the disease, particularly in patients with premorbid psychiatric symptoms. ..
- Santambrogio R, Kluger M, Costa M, Belli A, Barabino M, Laurent A, et al. Hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with Child-Pugh's A cirrhosis: is clinical evidence of portal hypertension a contraindication?. HPB (Oxford). 2013;15:78-84 pubmed publisher..Patients with PHTN have short- and long-term results similar to patients with normal portal pressure. A limited hepatic resection for early-stage tumours is an option for Child-Pugh class A5 patients with PHTN. ..
- Bertolini S, Pisciotta L, Rabacchi C, Cefalù A, Noto D, Fasano T, et al. Spectrum of mutations and phenotypic expression in patients with autosomal dominant hypercholesterolemia identified in Italy. Atherosclerosis. 2013;227:342-8 pubmed publisher..This study confirms the genetic and allelic heterogeneity of ADH and underscores that the variability in phenotypic expression of ADH-1 is greatly affected by the type of LDLR mutation. ..
- Casiglia E, Tikhonoff V, Caffi S, Boschetti G, Giordano N, Guidotti F, et al. Orthostatic hypotension does not increase cardiovascular risk in the elderly at a population level. Am J Hypertens. 2014;27:81-8 pubmed publisher..Independent of the cause of OH, age and systolic BP, which are positively associated with OH, fully explain the greater incidence of cardiovascular events and the greater cardiovascular risk observed in subjects with OH. ..
- Costantini M, Romoli V, Leo S, Beccaro M, Bono L, Pilastri P, et al. Liverpool Care Pathway for patients with cancer in hospital: a cluster randomised trial. Lancet. 2014;383:226-37 pubmed publisher..Italian Ministry of Health and Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation-Onlus. ..
- Pechlaner R, Weiss G, Bansal S, Mayr M, Santer P, Pallhuber B, et al. Inadequate hepcidin serum concentrations predict incident type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2016;32:187-92 pubmed publisher..Hepcidin levels that are inadequately low in relation to body iron stores are an independent predictor for incident T2DM and may contribute to diabetes-related tissue iron overload. Copyright Â© 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Maio S, Baldacci S, Carrozzi L, Pistelli F, Angino A, Simoni M, et al. Respiratory symptoms/diseases prevalence is still increasing: a 25-yr population study. Respir Med. 2016;110:58-65 pubmed publisher..While asthma and allergic rhinitis increasing trends were confirmed, with respect to other international studies, also a COPD increasing prevalence rates was shown. ..
- Paoletti E, De Nicola L, Gabbai F, Chiodini P, Ravera M, Pieracci L, et al. Associations of Left Ventricular Hypertrophy and Geometry with Adverse Outcomes in Patients with CKD and Hypertension. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016;11:271-9 pubmed publisher..In patients with CKD, LVH is a strong predictor of the risk of poor CV and renal outcomes independent from LV geometry. ..
- Castellano I, Metovic J, Balmativola D, Annaratone L, Rangel N, Vissio E, et al. The impact of malignant nipple discharge cytology (NDc) in surgical management of breast cancer patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182073 pubmed publisher..The association of malignant NDc with nipple involvement is highly related to ductal carcinoma in-situ with HER2 overexpression. In case of HER2 positive NDc, nipple-areola complex involvement is more likely than in HER2 negative cases. ..
- Bononi M, De Cesare A, Stella M, Fiori E, Galati G, Atella F, et al. Isolated intestinal neurofibromatosis of colon. Single case report and review of the literature. Dig Liver Dis. 2000;32:737-42 pubmed..The differential diagnosis and treatment of this lesion are very difficult. A review of the literature is made and personal experience in the diagnosis and treatment of a case in a 68-year-old female is described. ..
- Bettinaglio P, Galbusera A, Caprioli J, Orisio S, Perna A, Arnoldi F, et al. Single Strand Conformation Polymorphism (SSCP) as a quick and reliable method to genotype M235T polymorphism of angiotensinogen gene. Clin Biochem. 2002;35:363-8 pubmed..The results obtained with this method demonstrate an association of the TT genotype of AGT gene with hypertension, both in diabetic and non diabetic patients. ..
- Bono A, Bartoli C, Baldi M, Moglia D, Tomatis S, Tragni G, et al. Micro-melanoma detection. A clinical study on 22 cases of melanoma with a diameter equal to or less than 3 mm. Tumori. 2004;90:128-31 pubmed..Very small pigmented lesions may represent an extreme diagnostic challenge to the clinician. Our aim was to describe the clinical and dermoscopic features in a series of cutaneous melanomas with a maximum clinical diameter of 3 mm...
- Salvinelli F, Firrisi L, Casale M, Trivelli M, D Ascanio L, Lamanna F, et al. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo: diagnosis and treatment. Clin Ter. 2004;155:395-400 pubmed..In our review we consider the possible pathogenesis of this disease and the best therapies, like repositioning maneuvers, in a patient affected by BPPV. ..
- Quatrini M, Castoldi L, Rossi G, Cesana B, Peracchi M, Bardella M. A follow-up study of patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome in the period 1966-2002: effects of surgical and medical treatments on long-term survival. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2005;39:376-80 pubmed..Curing gastrinoma or appropriately inhibiting gastric acid hypersecretion in ZES patients prevent death and favors long-term survival, regardless of gastrin levels and the size or number of tumors. ..
- Maiorano E, Favia G, Pece S, Resta L, Maisonneuve P, Di Fiore P, et al. Prognostic implications of NUMB immunoreactivity in salivary gland carcinomas. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2007;20:779-89 pubmed..These data suggest that loss of Numb is implicated in aberrant differentiation programs of salivary gland carcinomas and may serve as a prognostic indicator in patients treated for these neoplasms. ..
- Agliano M, Lorenzoni P, Volpi N, Massai L, Carbotti P, Fruschelli M, et al. Lymphatic vessels in human eyelids: an immunohistological study in dermatochalasis and chalazion. Lymphology. 2008;41:29-39 pubmed..Thus, vasoactive factors play a role in the physiology of richly vascularized eyelids, and therefore, morphofunctional characterization of lymphatic vessels may be useful in suggesting treatment options...
- Metro G, Zheng Z, Fabi A, Schell M, Antoniani B, Mottolese M, et al. In situ protein expression of RRM1, ERCC1, and BRCA1 in metastatic breast cancer patients treated with gemcitabine-based chemotherapy. Cancer Invest. 2010;28:172-80 pubmed publisher..They were significantly associated with each other (Spearman's rho > or = .36; p < or = .007). Given their pattern of distribution, RRM1 and BRCA1 are potentially suitable markers for clinical decision making in MBC. ..
- Prignano F, Ricceri F, Pescitelli L, Zanieri F, Lotti T. Tumour necrosis factor-Î± antagonists in patients with concurrent psoriasis and hepatitis B or hepatitis C: a retrospective analysis of 17 patients. Br J Dermatol. 2011;164:645-7 pubmed publisher..However, repeated monitoring is necessary throughout the treatment period. Systematic, large-scale studies are also needed to assess the risks and benefits of TNF-Î± antagonists in these patients. ..
- Morelli V, Eller Vainicher C, Salcuni A, Coletti F, Iorio L, Muscogiuri G, et al. Risk of new vertebral fractures in patients with adrenal incidentaloma with and without subclinical hypercortisolism: a multicenter longitudinal study. J Bone Miner Res. 2011;26:1816-21 pubmed publisher..001). It is concluded that subclinical hypercortisolism is associated with an increased risk of VFx and a possible deterioration of bone quality...
- Schiavone Panni A, Cerciello S, Vasso M. The manangement of knee cartilage defects with modified amic technique: preliminary results. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2011;24:149-52 pubmed..It is safe and reliable. Our data are in accordance with previously reported series in literature and confirm the good objective and subjective results of this procedure...
- Bozzano F, Picciotto A, Costa P, Marras F, Fazio V, Hirsch I, et al. Activating NK cell receptor expression/function (NKp30, NKp46, DNAM-1) during chronic viraemic HCV infection is associated with the outcome of combined treatment. Eur J Immunol. 2011;41:2905-14 pubmed publisher..Individual activating receptor expression/function integrates with KIR:HLA genotype carriage to determine the clearance of HCV infection upon treatment. ..
- Damiani G, Farelli V, Anselmi A, Sicuro L, Solipaca A, Burgio A, et al. Patterns of Long Term Care in 29 European countries: evidence from an exploratory study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011;11:316 pubmed publisher..It also stimulates further researches with lower aggregated data useful to gain meaningful policy-making evidence.Please see related article: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/9/124. ..
- D Angelo R, Scimone C, Rinaldi C, Trimarchi G, Italiano D, Bramanti P, et al. CCM2 gene polymorphisms in Italian sporadic patients with cerebral cavernous malformation: a case-control study. Int J Mol Med. 2012;29:1113-20 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, polymorphisms c.358 G>A and c.915 G>A were associated with a more benign course of the disease. These data were confirmed by the haplotype GAG (+--) frequencies. ..
- Scanagatta P, Pelosi G, Leo F, Furia S, Duranti L, Fabbri A, et al. Pulmonary resections: cytostructural effects of different-wavelength lasers versus electrocautery. Tumori. 2012;98:90-3 pubmed publisher..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the parenchymal damage caused by different surgical instruments: a new generation electrosurgical scalpel and two different-wavelength lasers...
- Palladini G, Dispenzieri A, Gertz M, Kumar S, Wechalekar A, Hawkins P, et al. New criteria for response to treatment in immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis based on free light chain measurement and cardiac biomarkers: impact on survival outcomes. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:4541-9 pubmed publisher..This study identifies and validates new criteria for response to first-line treatment in AL amyloidosis, based on their association with survival in large patient populations, and offers surrogate end points for clinical trials. ..
- Ricci R, Morichelli L, Quarta L, Porfili A, Magris B, Giovene L, et al. Effect of daily remote monitoring on pacemaker longevity: a retrospective analysis. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:330-7 pubmed publisher..Pacemakers controlled remotely with HM showed an 11-month longer longevity. Patient retention was superior. ..
- Ferri E, Arosio B, D Addario C, Galimberti D, Gussago C, Pucci M, et al. Gene promoter methylation and expression of Pin1 differ between patients with frontotemporal dementia and Alzheimer's disease. J Neurol Sci. 2016;362:283-6 pubmed publisher..These data suggest an important and distinct involvement of Pin1 in these two types of dementia. ..
- Borzi V, Frasson S, Gussoni G, Di Lillo M, Gerloni R, Augello G, et al. Risk factors for hypoglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes, hospitalized in internal medicine wards: Findings from the FADOI-DIAMOND study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016;115:24-30 pubmed publisher..Identification of patients at increased risk of hypoglycemia may be important for optimally adapting treatment and patient management. ..
- Gebbia V, Testa A, Gebbia N. Prospective randomised trial of two dose levels of megestrol acetate in the management of anorexia-cachexia syndrome in patients with metastatic cancer. Br J Cancer. 1996;73:1576-80 pubmed..Data on body weight suggest that after 2 weeks' therapy MA could be stopped or its dosage tailored to patients' needs since the majority of patients respond after only 15 days of MA. ..
- Colombo N, Parma G, Zanagnolo V, Insinga A. Management of ovarian stromal cell tumors. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:2944-51 pubmed..Surgery remains the most effective treatment for ovarian stromal tumors and, whenever feasible, for relapsing disease. Platinum-based chemotherapy is currently used in metastatic or recurrent tumors. ..
- Chiapasco M, Zaniboni M, Rimondini L. Dental implants placed in grafted maxillary sinuses: a retrospective analysis of clinical outcome according to the initial clinical situation and a proposal of defect classification. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008;19:416-28 pubmed publisher..However, it must be underlined that the success rates of reconstructive procedures and implants differ according to class of atrophy, showing lower success rates in classes presenting with more severe atrophy. ..
- Franceschi M, Scarcelli C, Niro V, Seripa D, Pazienza A, Pepe G, et al. Prevalence, clinical features and avoidability of adverse drug reactions as cause of admission to a geriatric unit: a prospective study of 1756 patients. Drug Saf. 2008;31:545-56 pubmed..Most of these ADRs are potentially avoidable. Strategies that reduce inappropriate prescriptions and monitoring errors, as well as improving active prevention of ADRs, are needed in elderly subjects. ..
- Patriarca C, Colombo P, Pio Taronna A, Wesseling J, Franchi G, Guddo F, et al. Cell discohesion and multifocality of carcinoma in situ of the bladder: new insight from the adhesion molecule profile (e-cadherin, Ep-CAM, and MUC1). Int J Surg Pathol. 2009;17:99-106 pubmed publisher..Finally, Ep-CAM expression might provide some support for future target therapy trials. ..
- Piaserico S, Zattra E, Linder D, Peserico A. Generalized granuloma annulare treated with methylaminolevulinate photodynamic therapy. Dermatology. 2009;218:282-4 pubmed publisher..We report 3 cases with long-lasting generalized GA responding to methylaminolevulinate photodynamic therapy. ..
- Voellenkle C, van Rooij J, Cappuzzello C, Greco S, Arcelli D, Di Vito L, et al. MicroRNA signatures in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of chronic heart failure patients. Physiol Genomics. 2010;42:420-6 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, most of these miRNAs were previously reported as deregulated in human and/or mouse failing hearts. The identified miRNAs might have a potential diagnostic and/or prognostic use in CHF. ..
- Latib A, Maisano F, Bertoldi L, Giacomini A, Shannon J, Cioni M, et al. Transcatheter vs surgical aortic valve replacement in intermediate-surgical-risk patients with aortic stenosis: a propensity score-matched case-control study. Am Heart J. 2012;164:910-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the survival rate after TF-TAVR in this group of elderly patients with intermediate Society of Thoracic Surgeons score was encouraging. ..
- Scarpa M, Pinto E, Saraceni E, Cavallin F, Parotto M, Alfieri R, et al. Randomized clinical trial of psychological support and sleep adjuvant measures for postoperative sleep disturbance in patients undergoing oesophagectomy. Br J Surg. 2017;104:1307-1314 pubmed publisher..Perioperative psychological support reduces impairment in quality of life and quality of sleep after oesophagectomy. Registration number: NCT01738620 (http://www.clinicaltrials.gov). ..
- Martinelli I, Mannucci P, De Stefano V, Taioli E, Rossi V, Crosti F, et al. Different risks of thrombosis in four coagulation defects associated with inherited thrombophilia: a study of 150 families. Blood. 1998;92:2353-8 pubmed..In addition, individuals with factor V Leiden develop less severe thrombotic manifestations, such as superficial vein thrombosis. ..
- Rubini G, D Eredità G. Tc-99m sestamibi and In-111 DTPA octreotide uptake in breast carcinoma with neurendocrine differentiation. Clin Nucl Med. 2000;25:482-3 pubmed
- Taioli E, Mari D, Franceschi C, BonaFe M, Monti D, Bertolini S, et al. Polymorphisms of drug-metabolizing enzymes in healthy nonagenarians and centenarians: difference at GSTT1 locus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;280:1389-92 pubmed..These findings on phase 2 drug-metabolizing enzyme gene polymorphisms may help in disentangling gene-environmental interactions which can have a role in successful aging and longevity, as well as in cancer incidence in the oldest old. ..
- Annibale B, Lahner E, Bordi C, Martino G, Caruana P, Grossi C, et al. Role of Helicobacter pylori infection in pernicious anaemia. Dig Liver Dis. 2000;32:756-62 pubmed..These findings support the hypothesis that Helicobacter pylori infection could play a triggering role in a subgroup of pernicious anaemia patients. ..
- Ena P, Sechi L, Saccabusi S, Molicotti P, Lorrai M, Siddi M, et al. Rapid identification of cutaneous infections by nontubercular mycobacteria by polymerase chain reaction-restriction analysis length polymorphism of the hsp65 gene. Int J Dermatol. 2001;40:495-9 pubmed..We used PCR-PCA to identify mycobacteria grown in liquid media; the time of identification of mycobacteria was shortened relative to conventional methods. ..
- Beltrame G, Salvetat M, Chizzolini M, Driussi G, Busatto P, Di Giorgio G, et al. Posterior capsule opacification and Nd:YAG capsulotomy rates after implantation of silicone, hydrogel and soft acrylic intraocular lenses: a two-year follow-up study. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2002;12:388-94 pubmed..To compare the posterior capsule opacification (PCO) and neodymium:YAG (Nd:YAG) laser posterior capsulotomy rates associated with three different posterior chamber foldable intraocular lenses (IOL)...
- Venanzoni M, Giunta S, Muraro G, Storari L, Crescini C, Mazzucchelli R, et al. Apolipoprotein E expression in localized prostate cancers. Int J Oncol. 2003;22:779-86 pubmed..Prostatic intraepithelial neoplasias (PINs) adjacent to clinically manifested cancer were positive whereas more distant PINs were negative for ApoE. ApoE may represent a marker of more aggressive cells in human prostate cancers. ..
- Zaninoni A, Imperiali F, Pasquini C, Zanella A, Barcellini W. Cytokine modulation of nuclear factor-kappaB activity in B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Exp Hematol. 2003;31:185-90 pubmed..These cytokine alterations could be responsible for a positive autocrine circuit that maintains leukemic cells in a pre-apoptotic state. ..
- Zanocchi M, Maero B, Martinelli E, Cerrato F, Corsinovi L, Gonella M, et al. Early re-hospitalization of elderly people discharged from a geriatric ward. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2006;18:63-9 pubmed..2% of live patients had a new hospital admission. Tumors, dementia, comorbidity, high education level, day hospital course and period of convalescence were all significantly and independently related to readmission. ..
- Virgili A, Lauriola M, Mantovani L, Corazza M. Vulvar lichen sclerosus: 11 women treated with tacrolimus 0.1% ointment. Acta Derm Venereol. 2007;87:69-72 pubmed..Topical tacrolimus can be considered an alternative treatment for lichen sclerosus. ..
- Fogari R, Zoppi A, Mugellini A, Corradi L, Lazzari P, Preti P, et al. Efficacy and safety of two treatment combinations of hypertension in very elderly patients. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2009;48:401-5 pubmed publisher..However, valsartan/amlodipine offered some advantages in terms of less pronounced BP orthostatic changes and absence of metabolic adverse effects. ..
- Amici A, Cicconetti P, Sagrafoli C, Baratta A, Passador P, Pecci T, et al. Exaggerated morning blood pressure surge and cardiovascular events. A 5-year longitudinal study in normotensive and well-controlled hypertensive elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2009;49:e105-9 pubmed publisher..Reduction of the MS could thus be a therapeutic target for preventing vascular events also in non-hypertensive patients. ..
- Falvella F, Galvan A, Frullanti E, Spinola M, Calabrò E, Carbone A, et al. Transcription deregulation at the 15q25 locus in association with lung adenocarcinoma risk. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:1837-42 pubmed publisher..In addition, the same D398N variation correlated with CHRNA5 mRNA levels in normal lung of adenocarcinoma patients. Our results point to the candidacy of the CHRNA5 gene for the 15q25 locus. ..
- Briatore F, Barrera G, Pizzimenti S, Toaldo C, Casa C, Laurora S, et al. Increase of telomerase activity and hTERT expression in myelodysplastic syndromes. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009;8:883-9 pubmed
- Franzini A, Messina G, Nazzi V, Mea E, Leone M, Chiapparini L, et al. Spontaneous intracranial hypotension syndrome: a novel speculative physiopathological hypothesis and a novel patch method in a series of 28 consecutive patients. J Neurosurg. 2010;112:300-6 pubmed publisher..The authors' procedure seems to lead to good and long-lasting clinical results. ..
- Simone R, Brizzolara R, Chiappori A, Milintenda Floriani F, Natale C, Greco L, et al. A functional soluble form of CTLA-4 is present in the serum of celiac patients and correlates with mucosal injury. Int Immunol. 2009;21:1037-45 pubmed publisher..In gluten-exposed patients, serum sCTLA-4 levels might provide insight about mucosal injury. ..
- Carella A, Garuti A, Cirmena G, Catania G, Rocco I, Palermo C, et al. Kinase domain mutations of BCR-ABL identified at diagnosis before imatinib-based therapy are associated with progression in patients with high Sokal risk chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2010;51:275-8 pubmed publisher..No low-risk patient carried KD mutation at diagnosis. In conclusion, KD mutations conferring high-level imatinib resistance are present in patients with de novo CML and in some of them lead to disease progression. ..
- Licastro F, Chiappelli M, Porcellini E, Campo G, Buscema M, Grossi E, et al. Gene-gene and gene - clinical factors interaction in acute myocardial infarction: a new detailed risk chart. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16:783-8 pubmed..These analyses suggested that genotypes of few inflammatory genes, a SNP in HMGCR gene, middle age, gender, low HDL and diabetes were very informative variables to predict the risk of AMI. ..
- Berti E, Recalcati S, Girgenti V, Fanoni D, Venegoni L, Vezzoli P. Cutaneous extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma: a clinicopathologic study of 5 patients with array-based comparative genomic hybridization. Blood. 2010;116:165-70 pubmed publisher..The results of our array comparative genomic hybridization analysis could be useful to better define the different ENK/T lymphoma subgroups with cutaneous involvement. ..
- Colleoni M, Bagnardi V, Rotmensz N, Viale G, Mastropasqua M, Veronesi P, et al. A nomogram based on the expression of Ki-67, steroid hormone receptors status and number of chemotherapy courses to predict pathological complete remission after preoperative chemotherapy for breast cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2010;46:2216-24 pubmed publisher
- Costa C, Delsedime L, Solidoro P, Curtoni A, Bergallo M, Libertucci D, et al. Herpesviruses detection by quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction in bronchoalveolar lavage and transbronchial biopsy in lung transplant: viral infections and histopathological correlation. Transplant Proc. 2010;42:1270-4 pubmed publisher..Viral detection on TBB could represent an adjunctive tool to complement that on BAL. ..
- Ferrandina G, Margariti P, Smaniotto D, Petrillo M, Salerno M, Fagotti A, et al. Long-term analysis of clinical outcome and complications in locally advanced cervical cancer patients administered concomitant chemoradiation followed by radical surgery. Gynecol Oncol. 2010;119:404-10 pubmed publisher..Preoperative CT/RT is worth further investigation in LACC patients, providing encouraging survival outcomes and a favourable long-term toxicity profile. ..
- Serpente M, Fenoglio C, Villa C, Cortini F, Cantoni C, Ridolfi E, et al. Role of OLR1 and its regulating hsa-miR369-3p in Alzheimer's disease: genetics and expression analysis. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;26:787-93 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, the limited power of the study requires further investigations with a larger sample size. ..