Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Greece
Publications341 found, 100 shown here
- Korovessis P, Repanti M, Koureas G. Does coralline hydroxyapatite conduct fusion in instrumented posterior spine fusion?. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2002;91:109-13 pubmed..Coralline hydroxyapatite conducts bone formation in spine surgery because in the vast majority of the operated cases for different spinal disorders bone and osteoid has developed around the implanted coralline hydroxyapatite. ..
- Thomadaki H, Talieri M, Scorilas A. Prognostic value of the apoptosis related genes BCL2 and BCL2L12 in breast cancer. Cancer Lett. 2007;247:48-55 pubmed..Multivariate analysis revealed that BCL2 and BCL2L12 might be used as independent prognostic biomarkers in breast cancer. ..
- Katotomichelakis M, Balatsouras D, Tripsianis G, Davris S, Maroudias N, Danielides V, et al. The effect of smoking on the olfactory function. Rhinology. 2007;45:273-80 pubmed..Smokers were found to be nearly six times as likely to evidence an olfactory deficit as non smokers, depending on the duration and the amount of cigarettes smoked. ..
- Papaioannou A, Mazioti A, Kiropoulos T, Tsilioni I, Koutsokera A, Tanou K, et al. Systemic and airway inflammation and the presence of emphysema in patients with COPD. Respir Med. 2010;104:275-82 pubmed publisher..COPD patients with HRCT-confirmed emphysema present increased systemic oxidative stress and fibrinogen, suggesting that they may be more prone to the systemic consequences of COPD compared to patients without emphysema. ..
- Tsivgoulis G, Stamboulis E, Sharma V, Heliopoulos I, Voumvourakis K, Teoh H, et al. Multicenter external validation of the ABCD2 score in triaging TIA patients. Neurology. 2010;74:1351-7 pubmed publisher..The present data support current guidelines endorsing the immediate hospitalization of patients with an ABCD(2) score >2. ..
- Vogiatzis I, Tsikrika E, Sachpekidis V, Pittas S, Kotsani A. Factors affecting smoking resumption after acute coronary syndromes. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2010;51:294-300 pubmed..42, p=0.04). Smokers with acute coronary syndromes should be encouraged to participate in special secondary prevention programmes. Smoking cessation clinics contribute significantly to a reduction in smoking in this group of patients. ..
- Kapetanakis S, Papathanasiou J, Dermon A, Dimitrakopoulou A, Ververidis A, Chloropoulou P, et al. Unusual intramuscular lipoma of deltoid muscle. Folia Med (Plovdiv). 2010;52:68-71 pubmed..The patient had no previous history of trauma. The main symptom was pain only in abduction and extension. Imaging, pathological findings and surgical excision are discussed. ..
- Speletas M, Argentou N, Karanikas V, Gramoustianou E, Mandala E, Braimi M, et al. Survivin isoform expression patterns in CML patients correlate with resistance to imatinib and progression, but do not trigger cytolytic responses. Clin Immunol. 2011;139:155-63 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, our results question the validity of immunotherapeutic approaches targeting survivin in CML. ..
- Venouziou A, Dailiana Z, Varitimidis S, Hantes M, Gougoulias N, Malizos K. Radial nerve palsy associated with humeral shaft fracture. Is the energy of trauma a prognostic factor?. Injury. 2011;42:1289-93 pubmed publisher..In high energy fractures, neurotmesis or severe contusion must be expected. In this case nerve recovery is unfavourable and the patients should be informed of the poor prognosis and the need of tendon transfers. ..
- Alexopoulos D, Xanthopoulou I, Davlouros P, Plakomyti T, Panagiotou A, Mavronasiou E, et al. Prasugrel overcomes high on-clopidogrel platelet reactivity in chronic coronary artery disease patients more effectively than high dose (150 mg) clopidogrel. Am Heart J. 2011;162:733-9 pubmed publisher..5% vs 46.3%, P = .003. Prasugrel appears more effective than double clopidogrel in inhibiting PR in patients with HTPR following chronic clopidogrel treatment. ..
- Zivlas C, Triposkiadis F, Psarras S, Giamouzis G, Skoularigis I, Chryssanthopoulos S, et al. Left atrial volume index in patients with heart failure and severely impaired left ventricular systolic function: the role of established echocardiographic parameters, circulating cystatin C and galectin-3. Ther Adv Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;11:283-295 pubmed publisher..Apart from known determinants of LAVi, circulating CysC and Gal-3 were associated with greater LA dilatation in patients with HF with reduced LVEF. Interestingly, the correlation between these two fibrotic proteins was positive. ..
- Kloutsos G, Balatsouras D, Kaberos A, Kandiloros D, Ferekidis E, Economou C. Upper airway edema resulting from use of Ecballium elaterium. Laryngoscope. 2001;111:1652-5 pubmed..However, adverse reactions in some patients with a positive history of allergy should always be considered. ..
- Koukourakis M, Yannakakis D. High dose daily amifostine and hypofractionated intensively accelerated radiotherapy for locally advanced breast cancer. A phase I/II study and report on early and late sequellae. Anticancer Res. 2001;21:2973-8 pubmed..High dose daily amifostine during hypofractionated radiotherapy is feasible. HypoARC regimen is well-tolerated, effective and has minimal acute and late toxicity to normal breast, chest and axillary tissues. ..
- Alivizatos V, Felekis D, Zorbalas A. Evaluation of the effectiveness of octreotide in the conservative treatment of postoperative enterocutaneous fistulas. Hepatogastroenterology. 2002;49:1010-2 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that, as an adjunct treatment to total parenteral nutrition, Octreotide reduces rapidly the fistula output without significant influence in the spontaneous closure rate. ..
- Kouvaris J, Kouloulias V, Malas E, Antypas C, Kokakis J, Michopoulos S, et al. Amifostine as radioprotective agent for the rectal mucosa during irradiation of pelvic tumors. A phase II randomized study using various toxicity scales and rectosigmoidoscopy. Strahlenther Onkol. 2003;179:167-74 pubmed..003). Amifostine seems to have a significant cytoprotective efficacy in acute radiation-induced rectal mucositis in terms of symptomatic and objective endpoints. ..
- Nikolaos T, Stylianos G, Chryssoula N, Irini P, Christos M, Dimitrios T, et al. The effect of long-term antiepileptic treatment on serum cholesterol (TC, HDL, LDL) and triglyceride levels in adult epileptic patients on monotherapy. Med Sci Monit. 2004;10:MT50-2 pubmed..Our results suggest a need for monitoring serum TC, HDL-c, LDL-c and TG levels and, perhaps, prescribing a low-cholesterol diet in patients receiving carbamazepine and phenytoin, but not phenobarbital. ..
- Spengos K, Sameli S, Stouraitis G, Kolias A, Koulouri O, Kokkinos Z, et al. Seasonal variation of Bell's palsy in Athens, Greece - a hospital-based retrospective evaluation over fifteen years. Eur Neurol. 2006;55:84-8 pubmed..Since a similar pathogenetic mechanism is regarded as the main cause of BP, the chronobiological aspects and the influence of meteorological factors on the reactivation of latent infections deserves further prospective evaluation...
- Antoniou K, Tzouvelekis A, Alexandrakis M, Sfiridaki K, Tsiligianni I, Rachiotis G, et al. Different angiogenic activity in pulmonary sarcoidosis and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Chest. 2006;130:982-8 pubmed..Our data suggest distinct angiogenic profiles between IPF and sarcoidosis, indicating a potential different role of CXC chemokines in the local immunologic response in IPF and pulmonary sarcoidosis. ..
- Giamarellos Bourboulis E, Mega A, Pavleas I, Archontoulis N, Rigas K, Vernikos P, et al. Impact of carbapenem administration on systemic endotoxemia in patients with severe sepsis and Gram-negative bacteremia. J Chemother. 2006;18:502-6 pubmed..The above data support the safe administration of both carbapenems in patients with severe sepsis. ..
- Kouvaris J, Miliadou A, Kouloulias V, Kolokouris D, Balafouta M, Papacharalampous X, et al. Phase II study of temozolomide and concomitant whole-brain radiotherapy in patients with brain metastases from solid tumors. Onkologie. 2007;30:361-6 pubmed..5%) might be related to concomitantly administered antiepileptic drugs and not to TMZ. WBI combined with TMZ as concomitant and adjuvant treatment is effective in treating brain metastases, with acceptable mild side effects. ..
- Korres S, Papadakis C, Riga M, Balatsouras D, Dikeos D, Soldatos C. Sleep position and laterality of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. J Laryngol Otol. 2008;122:1295-8 pubmed publisher..The clinical and therapeutical implications of this observation are discussed. ..
- Lagadinou E, Ziros P, Tsopra O, Dimas K, Kokkinou D, Thanopoulou E, et al. c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation failure is a new mechanism of anthracycline resistance in acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia. 2008;22:1899-908 pubmed publisher..012). We conclude that JNK activation failure confers another mechanism of anthracycline resistance in AML. Elucidating the ultimate mechanisms leading to JNK suppression in chemoresistant AML may be of major therapeutic value. ..
- Efremidou E, Liratzopoulos N, Papageorgiou S, Romanidis K, Tourlis T, Kouklakis G, et al. Colorectal carcinoma: correlation between age, gender and subsite distribution. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2008;103:659-63 pubmed..The aim of this study was to examine the interrelationship between the anatomical distribution of CRC and gender, age at presentation, and incidence rates for the disease in the inhabitants of Thrace, Northern Greece...
- Koutsokera A, Papaioannou A, Malli F, Kiropoulos T, Katsabeki A, Kerenidi T, et al. Systemic oxidative stress in patients with pulmonary sarcoidosis. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2009;22:603-7 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests a sustained oxidative burden even when clinical, functional and radiological criteria indicate disease stability. ..
- Kaestner S, Patsouras N, Spathas D, Flordellis C, Manolis A. Lack of association between the cholesteryl ester transfer protein gene--TaqIB polymorphism and coronary restenosis following percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty and stenting: a pilot study. Angiology. 2010;61:338-43 pubmed publisher..This result was not affected when considering any one of the additionally studied factors. ..
- Moschouris H, Stamatiou K, Lampropoulou E, Kalikis D, Matsaidonis D. Imaging of the acute scrotum: is there a place for contrast-enhanced ultrasonography?. Int Braz J Urol. 2009;35:692-702; discussion 702-5 pubmed..Further studies are required to clearly define the indications of this method. ..
- Koutroumpas A, Ziogas A, Alexiou I, Barouta G, Sakkas L. Mycophenolate mofetil in systemic sclerosis-associated interstitial lung disease. Clin Rheumatol. 2010;29:1167-8 pubmed publisher..04 and 0.66, respectively). There was no effect on mRTSS. MMF stabilizes lung function of SSc-ILD after 12 months of treatment. ..
- Koukouras D, Kallidonis P, Panagopoulos C, Al Aown A, Athanasopoulos A, Rigopoulos C, et al. Fournier's gangrene, a urologic and surgical emergency: presentation of a multi-institutional experience with 45 cases. Urol Int. 2011;86:167-72 pubmed publisher..7 ± 11.6 (range 4-40) days. FG is a life-threatening form of necrotizing soft tissue infection. The disease is unpredictable and the currently proposed methods for prognosis are promising but still questionable. ..
- Koukourakis M, Giatromanolaki A, Tsakmaki V, Danielidis V, Sivridis E. Cancer stem cell phenotype relates to radio-chemotherapy outcome in locally advanced squamous cell head-neck cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:846-53 pubmed publisher..Targeting CSC molecules with monoclonal antibodies or pharmaceutical agents may prove important for the treatment of HNSCC. ..
- Tsougos I, Svolos P, Kousi E, Fountas K, Theodorou K, Fezoulidis I, et al. Differentiation of glioblastoma multiforme from metastatic brain tumor using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy, diffusion and perfusion metrics at 3 T. Cancer Imaging. 2012;12:423-36 pubmed publisher..The quantification of the diffusion properties in the intratumoral region is independent of the ROI size placed. ..
- Korovessis P, Repantis T, Zacharatos S, Baikousis A. Low back pain and sciatica prevalence and intensity reported in a Mediterranean country: ordinal logistic regression analysis. Orthopedics. 2012;35:e1775-84 pubmed publisher..More severe sciatic pain was reported by working married women older than 65 years who were smokers...
- Gionis M, Ioannou C, Kontopodis N, Balalis K, Elalamy I, Gerotziafas G. Heparin resistance and coagulation activation rebound effect after anticoagulant withdrawal: beneficiary effect of adjuvant antiplatelet therapy. Int Angiol. 2016;35:170-7 pubmed..A rebound effect of coagulation activation after thromboprophylaxis withdrawal is observed in the extended postoperative period. This phenomenon is attenuated with the addition of concomitant antiplatelet (clopidogrel) treatment. ..
- Konsta O, Le Dantec C, Charras A, Cornec D, Kapsogeorgou E, Tzioufas A, et al. Defective DNA methylation in salivary gland epithelial acini from patients with SjÃ¶gren's syndrome is associated with SSB gene expression, anti-SSB/LA detection, and lymphocyte infiltration. J Autoimmun. 2016;68:30-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results highlight the importance of DNA methylation in the pathophysiology of pSS and to the emergence of anti-SSB/La Ab. ..
- Notara V, Panagiotakos D, Tsompanaki E, Kouvari M, Kogias Y, Papanagnou G, et al. Depressive symptomatology in relation to 10-year (2004-2014) acute coronary syndrome incidence; the moderating role of diet and financial status. Prev Med. 2016;86:6-11 pubmed publisher..Public health programs should focus on vulnerable groups and minimize depressive symptoms through appropriate medical treatment and lifestyle interventions, so as to ameliorate the disease prognosis in clinical and community levels. ..
- Biundo R, Weis L, Bostantjopoulou S, Stefanova E, Falup Pecurariu C, Kramberger M, et al. MMSE and MoCA in Parkinson's disease and dementia with Lewy bodies: a multicenter 1-year follow-up study. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2016;123:431-8 pubmed publisher..20 in each group). MMSE and MoCA are equal in measuring the rate of cognitive changes over time in LBD. However, in PDnD, the MoCA is a better measure of cognitive status as it lacks both ceiling and floor effects. ..
- Archimandritis A, Tjivras M, Tryphonos M, Chronaki M, Bougas S, Fertakis A. Changes in blood glucose induced by upper GI diagnostic endoscopy: the influence of various premedications. Ital J Gastroenterol. 1994;26:69-71 pubmed..This increase seemed to be mainly the result of the stress induced by the irritation of the pharynx during the intubation. ..
- Detorakis E, Sourvinos G, Spandidos D. Detection of herpes simplex virus and human papilloma virus in ophthalmic pterygium. Cornea. 2001;20:164-7 pubmed..The correlation of postoperative recurrence and a history of conjunctivitis with the simultaneous detection of HPV and HSV, implies a possible viral cooperation affecting the clinical profile of pterygium. ..
- Alexandrakis M, Kyriakou D, Alexandraki R, Pappa K, Antonakis N, Bouros D. Pleural interleukin-1 beta in differentiating transudates and exudates: comparative analysis with other biochemical parameters. Respiration. 2002;69:201-6 pubmed
- Gourzis P, Polychronopoulos P, Argyriou A, Bakalidou C, Beratis S. Induction of the rabbit syndrome following coadministration of paroxetine, perphenazine, and amitriptyline. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2004;27:299-300 pubmed
- Natsis K, Baraliakos X, Appell H, Tsikaras P, Gigis I, Koebke J. The course of the greater occipital nerve in the suboccipital region: a proposal for setting landmarks for local anesthesia in patients with occipital neuralgia. Clin Anat. 2006;19:332-6 pubmed..The infiltration is probably best aimed at the site where the SCM is pierced by the GON. ..
- Paspatis G, Manolaraki M, Vardas E, Theodoropoulou A, Chlouverakis G. Deep sedation for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: intravenous propofol alone versus intravenous propofol with oral midazolam premedication. Endoscopy. 2008;40:308-13 pubmed
- Liapis A, Bakalianou K, Mpotsa E, Salakos N, Fotiou S, Kondi Paffiti A. Fallopian tube malignancies: A retrospective clinical pathological study of 17 cases. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008;28:93-5 pubmed publisher..The PFTC should be considered in the differential diagnosis of any pelvic mass. The treatment was surgical followed by adjuvant chemotherapy...
- Kambas K, Markiewski M, Pneumatikos I, Rafail S, Theodorou V, Konstantonis D, et al. C5a and TNF-alpha up-regulate the expression of tissue factor in intra-alveolar neutrophils of patients with the acute respiratory distress syndrome. J Immunol. 2008;180:7368-75 pubmed..This cross-talk between inflammatory mediators and the induction of TF expression in intra-alveolar neutrophils may be a potential target for novel therapeutic strategies to limit ARDS-associated disturbances of coagulation. ..
- Koutras A, Fountzilas G, Dafni U, Dimopoulos M, Pectasides D, Klouvas G, et al. Myelotoxicity as a prognostic factor in patients with advanced breast cancer treated with chemotherapy: a pooled analysis of two randomised trials conducted by the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group. Anticancer Res. 2008;28:2913-20 pubmed..Our findings do not confirm the results of previous studies which have demonstrated a better outcome for patients experiencing hematological toxicity during treatment. ..
- Tsoumakidou M, Karagiannis K, Bouloukaki I, Zakynthinos S, Tzanakis N, Siafakas N. Increased bronchoalveolar lavage fluid CD1c expressing dendritic cells in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respiration. 2009;78:446-52 pubmed publisher..IPF is associated with an increase in percentages of BALF myeloid DCs. Considering that such an increase was not observed in CD83(+) mature DCs, most of these DCs should be immature. ..
- Gousias K, Markou M, Arzoglou V, Voulgaris S, Vartholomatos G, Kostoula A, et al. Frequent abnormalities of the immune system in gliomas and correlation with the WHO grading system of malignancy. J Neuroimmunol. 2010;226:136-42 pubmed publisher..Since defects of both humoral and cellular immunity were equally observed and significant predictors of grade were assessed, a preoperative evaluation of the immune system of patients with gliomas is being proposed. ..
- Amarantidis K, Xenidis N, Chelis L, Chamalidou E, Dimopoulos P, Michailidis P, et al. Docetaxel plus oxaliplatin in combination with capecitabine as first-line treatment for advanced gastric cancer. Oncology. 2011;80:359-65 pubmed publisher..The combination of docetaxel, oxaliplatin and capecitabine in the described mode of administration represents a relatively active and well-tolerated regimen in patients with advanced gastric cancer and warrants further evaluation. ..
- Sfoungaristos S, Papatheodorou M, Kavouras A, Perimenis P. Solitary fibrous tumor of the kidney with massive retroperitoneal recurrence. A case presentation. Prague Med Rep. 2012;113:246-50 pubmed..The rate of Ki67 lied between 2-7%. No adjuvant therapy was given to the patient and he is disease-free with no imaging findings of recurrence or metastasis 9 months after the re-operation. ..
- Bravou V, Papanastasopoulos P, Verras D, Kotsikogianni I, Damaskou V, Repanti M. Transforming growth factor ? repressor, SnoN, is overexpressed in human gastrointestinal stromal tumors. J BUON. 2012;17:684-90 pubmed..TGF-?/Smad pathway may contribute to GIST pathogenesis. SnoN overexpression and low levels of p21(WAF1)/CIP1 and p27(KIP1) may be of importance in GISTs. ..
- Linardakis M, Smpokos E, Papadaki A, Komninos I, Tzanakis N, Philalithis A. Prevalence of multiple behavioral risk factors for chronic diseases in adults aged 50+, from eleven European countries - the SHARE study (2004). Prev Med. 2013;57:168-72 pubmed publisher..These findings could be used for the design of primary healthcare programs by health professionals. ..
- Balgkouranidou I, Chimonidou M, Milaki G, Tsarouxa E, Kakolyris S, Welch D, et al. Breast cancer metastasis suppressor-1 promoter methylation in cell-free DNA provides prognostic information in non-small cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer. 2014;110:2054-62 pubmed publisher..Methylation of BRMS1 promoter in cfDNA isolated from plasma of NSCLC patients provides important prognostic information and merits to be further evaluated as a circulating tumour biomarker. ..
- Drivalos A, Chrisofos M, Efstathiou E, Kapranou A, Kollaitis G, Koutlis G, et al. Expression of Î±5-integrin, Î±7-integrin, Î•-cadherin, and N-cadherin in localized prostate cancer. Urol Oncol. 2016;34:165.e11-8 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that these have potential values in the diagnosis and are predictable indices in the proliferation of PCa. ..
- Fragoulis G, Stamopoulos P, Barbatis C, Tzioufas A. Panniculitis: an unusual presenting manifestation of rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2016;34:126-8 pubmed..She was treated with low doses of glucocorticosteroids and methotrexate. The latter was substituted with leflunomide due to toxicity. The patient had significant clinical and laboratory improvement. ..
- Melekos M, Skoutelis A, Chryssanthopoulos C, Bassaris H. A comparative study on aztreonam, ceftazidime and amikacin in the treatment of complicated urinary tract infections. J Chemother. 1991;3:376-82 pubmed..05). All drugs were well tolerated. It is concluded that aztreonam, ceftazidime and amikacin are equally effective and safe for the treatment of complicated urinary tract infections due to susceptible organisms. ..
- Gogou P, Batistatou A, Pakos E, Apostolikas N, Stefanou D, Tsekeris P. Expression of E-cadherin, beta-catenin and topoisomerase IIalpha in leiomyosarcomas. Clin Transl Oncol. 2009;11:548-51 pubmed..From the analysed factors, tumour size was statistically significantly correlated with relapse-free survival. Further evidence with larger series is required in order to determine the implication of these markers in LMS. ..
- Kaloterakis A, Filiotou A, Konstantopoulos K, Rombos Y, Bossinakou I, Hadziyannis S. Multiple myeloma in sickle cell syndromes. Haematologia (Budap). 2001;31:153-9 pubmed..Further studies are needed in order to understand the relationship between SCS and MM. ..
- Gogas H, Papadimitriou C, Kalofonos H, Bafaloukos D, Fountzilas G, Tsavdaridis D, et al. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with a combination of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (Caelyx) and paclitaxel in locally advanced breast cancer: a phase II study by the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group. Ann Oncol. 2002;13:1737-42 pubmed..There were no treatment-related deaths. The combination of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin and paclitaxel was active in locally advanced breast cancer. The primary toxicity was cutaneous toxicity and it was manageable. ..
- Pharmakakis N, Andrikopoulos G, Papadopoulos G, Petropoulos I, Kolonitsiou F, Koliopoulos J. Does identification of the causal organism of corneal ulcers influence the outcome?. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2003;13:11-7 pubmed..To investigate whether identification of the causal organism in corneal ulcers influences their outcome...
- Baltogiannis D, Kalogeropoulos C, Ioachim E, Agnantis N, Psilas K, Giannakopoulos X. Orbital metastasis from prostatic carcinoma. Urol Int. 2003;70:219-22 pubmed..The histopathological studies that were based on the morphological and immunohistochemical findings confirmed the histological diagnosis of orbital metastasis arising from prostatic carcinoma with neuroendocrine features. ..
- Sakellari D, Koukoudetsos S, Arsenakis M, Konstantinidis A. Prevalence of IL-1A and IL-1B polymorphisms in a Greek population. J Clin Periodontol. 2003;30:35-41 pubmed
- Deliveliotis C, Chrisofos M, Albanis S, Serafetinides E, Varkarakis J, Protogerou V. Management and follow-up of impacted ureteral stones. Urol Int. 2003;70:269-72 pubmed..The initial approach for the treatment of impacted lithiasis should be attempted by ESWL. If this fails, alternative therapeutic solutions such as endoscopy can result in removal of the stone. ..
- Dafopoulos K, Kotsovassilis C, Milingos S, Kallitsaris A, Galazios G, Zintzaras E, et al. Changes in pituitary sensitivity to GnRH in estrogen-treated post-menopausal women: evidence that gonadotrophin surge attenuating factor plays a physiological role. Hum Reprod. 2004;19:1985-92 pubmed..It is suggested that during the early to midfollicular phase the ovaries produce a gonadotrophin surge attenuating factor (GnSAF) that antagonizes the pituitary-sensitizing effect of E2 to GnRH. ..
- Liatsikos E, Siablis D, Kagadis G, Karnabatidis D, Petsas T, Kalogeropoulou C, et al. Virtual endoscopy: navigation within pelvicaliceal system. J Endourol. 2005;19:37-40 pubmed..Virtual endoscopy enabled the creation of endoluminal views of the renal pelvis and calices from spiral tomographic images, thereby allowing diagnostic-preoperative and postoperative evaluation of the pelvicaliceal unit. ..
- Tepetes K, Spyridakis M, Hatzitheofilou C. Local treatment of a loop colostomy prolapse with a linear stapler. Tech Coloproctol. 2005;9:156-8 pubmed..We report a simple and fast technique for the local correction of the prolapse under minor sedation. A linear stapler device was applied for the amputation and reconstruction of the prolapse stoma at the desired level...
- Papageorgiou K, Kaniorou Larai M, Mathew R. An unusual presentation of hydatid cyst within the soft tissues of the back: re-investigation of the undiagnosed lung opacity. Respir Med. 2005;99:1191-4 pubmed..We overview the diagnosis and treatment of this parasitic infection. ..
- Zachou K, Rigopoulou E, Tsikrikoni A, Alexandrakis M, Passam F, Kyriakou D, et al. Autoimmune hepatitis type 1 and primary biliary cirrhosis have distinct bone marrow cytokine production. J Autoimmun. 2005;25:283-8 pubmed..Differences were also found between patients with PBC and AH-1. The implication of BM in the pathogenesis of autoimmune liver diseases is possible and needs further investigation. ..
- Thomopoulos K, Pagoni N, Vagenas K, Margaritis V, Theocharis G, Nikolopoulou V. Twenty-four hour prophylaxis with increased dosage of octreotide reduces the incidence of post-ERCP pancreatitis. Gastrointest Endosc. 2006;64:726-31 pubmed..The results of this trial support the use of 24-hour prophylaxis with high dose of octreotide in the prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitis. ..
- Politi E, Lazaris A, Kehriotis M, Papathomas T, Nikolakopoulou E, Koutselini H. Altered expression of adhesion molecules in inflammatory cervical smears. Cytopathology. 2008;19:172-8 pubmed..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the expression of pan-cadherin and beta-catenin in cervical smears with various types of infectious agents...
- Iliopoulos D, Malizos K, Oikonomou P, Tsezou A. Integrative microRNA and proteomic approaches identify novel osteoarthritis genes and their collaborative metabolic and inflammatory networks. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3740 pubmed publisher..This strategy will help to improve the understanding of the pathogenesis of multifactorial diseases such as osteoarthritis and provide possible novel therapeutic targets. ..
- Antoniou G, Koutsias S, Antoniou S, Georgiakakis A, Lazarides M, Giannoukas A. Outcome after endovascular stent graft repair of aortoenteric fistula: A systematic review. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:782-9 pubmed publisher..05). Endovascular stent graft repair of AEF was associated with a high incidence of infection or recurrent bleeding postoperatively. Evidence of sepsis preoperatively was indicating poor outcome. ..
- Limberis V, Romanidis C, Galazios G, Koutsougeras G, Papadopoulos N, Lambropoulou M, et al. Intraoperative estimation of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer by imprint cytology. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2009;30:85-7 pubmed..Touch imprint cytology is a fast and reliable alternative for intraoperative evaluation of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer patients. ..
- Kouklakis G, Mpoumponaris A, Gatopoulou A, Efraimidou E, Manolas K, Lirantzopoulos N. Endoscopic resection of large pedunculated colonic polyps and risk of postpolypectomy bleeding with adrenaline injection versus endoloop and hemoclip: a prospective, randomized study. Surg Endosc. 2009;23:2732-7 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study is to evaluate postpolypectomy bleeding rates in large (>2 cm) pedunculated colonic polyps using either adrenaline injection alone or loop and clip application as prophylactic methods...
- Daskala I, Kalyvas D, Kolokoudias M, Vlachodimitropoulos D, Alexandridis C. Central odontogenic fibroma of the mandible: a case report. J Oral Sci. 2009;51:457-61 pubmed..The lesion presented as a multilocular radiolucency in relation to the root of the canine. The lesion was surgically removed and analyzed histopathologically. There were no postoperative complications. ..
- Kadoglou N, Sailer N, Moumtzouoglou A, Kapelouzou A, Tsanikidis H, Vitta I, et al. Visfatin (nampt) and ghrelin as novel markers of carotid atherosclerosis in patients with type 2 diabetes. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2010;118:75-80 pubmed publisher..Moreover these adipocytokines are independently associated with CIMT, implicating their role as novel atherosclerotic biomarkers and providing another important link between adiposity and atherosclerosis. ..
- Tentes A, Korakianitis O, Kakolyris S, Kyziridis D, Veliovits D, Karagiozoglou C, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy in recurrent ovarian cancer. Tumori. 2010;96:411-6 pubmed..The purpose of the study was to assess the feasibility and the effect of cytoreduction and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy in recurrent ovarian cancer...
- Oikonomou K, Kapsoritakis A, Kapsoritaki A, Manolakis A, Tsiopoulos F, Germenis A, et al. Downregulation of serum epidermal growth factor in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Is there a link with mucosal damage?. Growth Factors. 2010;28:461-6 pubmed publisher..Downregulation of serum EGF may be correlated with different patterns of bowel inflammation, epithelial development, and wound healing in IBD. ..
- Karakatsanis A, Papaconstantinou I, Gazouli M, Lyberopoulou A, Polymeneas G, Voros D. Expression of microRNAs, miR-21, miR-31, miR-122, miR-145, miR-146a, miR-200c, miR-221, miR-222, and miR-223 in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma or intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and its prognostic significance. Mol Carcinog. 2013;52:297-303 pubmed publisher..In ICC tissues, miR-21, miR-31, and miR-223 were found to be over-expressed, but no correlation with clinicopathological features was found. ..
- Fragioudaki M, Tsirakis G, Pappa C, Aristeidou I, Tsioutis C, Alegakis A, et al. Serum BAFF levels are related to angiogenesis and prognosis in patients with multiple myeloma. Leuk Res. 2012;36:1004-8 pubmed publisher..BAFF correlated with all the above markers. Higher BAFF levels predicted a shorter survival, suggesting an important prognostic marker and a possible therapeutic target in myeloma. ..
- Papapetropoulos N, Papapetropoulou M, Vantarakis A. Abscesses and wound infections due to Staphylococcus lugdunensis: report of 16 cases. Infection. 2013;41:525-8 pubmed publisher..aureus. ..
- Mourmoura E, Vasilaki A, Giannoukas A, Michalodimitrakis E, Pavlidis P, Tsezou A. Evidence of deregulated cholesterol efflux in abdominal aortic aneurysm. Acta Histochem. 2016;118:97-108 pubmed publisher..Our study provides novel evidence for impaired cholesterol efflux in AAA associated with lipid accumulation in SMCs and macrophages, as well as switch of SMCs phenotype from contractile to synthetic form. ..
- Tsiaoussis J, Chrysos E, Athanasakis E, Pechlivanides G, Tzortzinis A, Zoras O, et al. Rectoanal intussusception: presentation of the disorder and late results of resection rectopexy. Dis Colon Rectum. 2005;48:838-44 pubmed..001). Patients available at five-year follow-up had no or only minor defecatory problems. Resection rectopexy improves symptoms of obstructed defecation attributed to large rectoanal intussusception. ..
- Koukourakis M, Giatromanolaki A, Kouroussis C, Kakolyris S, Sivridis E, Frangiadaki C, et al. Hypofractionated and accelerated radiotherapy with cytoprotection (HypoARC): a short, safe, and effective postoperative regimen for high-risk breast cancer patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002;52:144-55 pubmed..The local relapse rate is as low as that expected from conventional RT. The absence of AF expression in cancer cells and tumoral stroma is probably a major reason for the selective protection of normal breast tissue by amifostine. ..
- Markopoulos C, Kouskos E, Gogas H, Kakisis J, Kyriakou V, Gogas J, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of intracystic breast carcinomas. Am Surg. 2002;68:783-6 pubmed..Bloodstained aspirated cyst fluid should be sent for cytology and breast imaging should be carried out in all these cases. Residual mass after cyst aspiration is also an indication for open biopsy. ..
- Dragoumis K, Mikos T, Zafrakas M, Assimakopoulos E, Venizelos I, Demertzidis H, et al. Mucocele of the vermiform appendix with sonographic appearance of an adnexal mass. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2005;59:162-4 pubmed..This clinical entity should be considered in patients presenting on ultrasound with a right-sided adnexal mass as a rare potential diagnosis. ..
- Assouti M, Vynios D, Anagnostides S, Papadopoulos G, Georgakopoulos C, Gartaganis S. Collagen type IX and HNK-1 epitope in tears of patients with pseudoexfoliation syndrome. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1762:54-8 pubmed..4). The results suggest the possible use of tears' collagen type IX for the diagnosis of PEX syndrome. ..
- Dambaki C, Kogia C, Kampa M, Darivianaki K, Nomikos M, Anezinis P, et al. Membrane testosterone binding sites in prostate carcinoma as a potential new marker and therapeutic target: study in paraffin tissue sections. BMC Cancer. 2005;5:148 pubmed..We conclude that membrane androgen receptors may represent an index of tumor aggressiveness and possibly specific targets for new therapeutic regimens. ..
- Tsiakalou V, Tsangaridou E, Polioudaki H, Nifli A, Koulentaki M, Akoumianaki T, et al. Optimized detection of circulating anti-nuclear envelope autoantibodies by immunofluorescence. BMC Immunol. 2006;7:20 pubmed..Detection of ANEA is shown to be more efficient using formaldehyde-fixed cells instead of commercially available Hep2 cells. ..
- Natsis K, Papadopoulou A, Paraskevas G, Totlis T, Tsikaras P. High origin of a superficial ulnar artery arising from the axillary artery: anatomy, embryology, clinical significance and a review of the literature. Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2006;65:400-5 pubmed..This report presents a case of unilateral SUA along with a review of the literature, embryological explanation and analysis of its clinical significance...
- Tsibouris P, Zintzaras E, Lappas C, Moussia M, Tsianos G, Galeas T, et al. High-dose pantoprazole continuous infusion is superior to somatostatin after endoscopic hemostasis in patients with peptic ulcer bleeding. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007;102:1192-9 pubmed..The best antisecretory treatment after endoscopic hemostasis in patients with ulcer bleeding is still in quest...