Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adrenal cortex in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: adrenal cortex
- Romero D, Rilli S, Plonczynski M, Yanes L, Zhou M, Gomez Sanchez E, et al. Adrenal transcription regulatory genes modulated by angiotensin II and their role in steroidogenesis. Physiol Genomics. 2007;30:26-34 pubmed
- Peterson J, Moran F, Conley A, Bird I. Zonal expression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in sheep and rhesus adrenal cortex. Endocrinology. 2001;142:5351-63 pubmed..In the zona reticularis, however, eNOS may control C(19) steroid production at the level of 17 alpha-hydroxylase vs. 17,20-lyase activity otherwise unopposed by 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. ..
- Hingre R, Gross S, Hingre K, Mayes D, Richman R. Adrenal steroidogenesis in very low birth weight preterm infants. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1994;78:266-70 pubmed
- Obukhov A, Nowycky M. TRPC4 can be activated by G-protein-coupled receptors and provides sufficient Ca(2+) to trigger exocytosis in neuroendocrine cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:16172-8 pubmed..TRPC4 channels can provide sufficient Ca(2+) influx to trigger a robust secretory response in voltage-clamped neurosecretory cells. Similar mechanisms may modulate exocytosis in other neuronal systems. ..
- Enyeart J, Xu L, Danthi S, Enyeart J. An ACTH- and ATP-regulated background K+ channel in adrenocortical cells is TREK-1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:49186-99 pubmed..The activation of I(AC) by ATP indicates that native bTREK-1 channels may function as sensors that couple the metabolic state of the cell to membrane potential, perhaps through an associated ATP-binding protein. ..
- Romero D, Plonczynski M, Carvajal C, Gomez Sanchez E, Gomez Sanchez C. Microribonucleic acid-21 increases aldosterone secretion and proliferation in H295R human adrenocortical cells. Endocrinology. 2008;149:2477-83 pubmed publisher..Alterations in miRNA-21 expression levels or function may be involved in dysregulation of angiotensin II signaling and abnormal aldosterone secretion by adrenal glands in humans. ..
- Cherian Shaw M, Das R, Vandevoort C, Chaffin C. Regulation of steroidogenesis by p53 in macaque granulosa cells and H295R human adrenocortical cells. Endocrinology. 2004;145:5734-44 pubmed..These data indicate that p53 plays a key role in luteinization of the primate ovarian follicle though the regulation of steroidogenic enzymes leading to progesterone synthesis. ..
- Mountjoy K, Robbins L, Mortrud M, Cone R. The cloning of a family of genes that encode the melanocortin receptors. Science. 1992;257:1248-51 pubmed..The murine and human MSH receptors (MSH-Rs) and a human ACTH receptor (ACTH-R) were cloned. These receptors define a subfamily of receptors coupled to guanine nucleotide-binding proteins that may include the cannabinoid receptor. ..
- Edwin F, Patel T. A novel role of Sprouty 2 in regulating cellular apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3181-90 pubmed..Overall, we conclude that endogenous hSPRY2-mediated regulation of apoptosis requires c-Cbl and is manifested by the ability of hSPRY2 to sequester c-Cbl and thereby augment signaling via growth factor receptors. ..
- Enyeart J, Enyeart J. Metabolites of an Epac-selective cAMP analog induce cortisol synthesis by adrenocortical cells through a cAMP-independent pathway. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6088 pubmed publisher..The remarkable increases in cortisol synthesis observed in this study appear to be mediated by a novel cAMP-, Epac- and PKA-independent signaling pathway...
- Meier R, Clark B. Angiotensin II-dependent transcriptional activation of human steroidogenic acute regulatory protein gene by a 25-kDa cAMP-responsive element modulator protein isoform and Yin Yang 1. Endocrinology. 2012;153:1256-68 pubmed publisher..The recruitment of these transcription factors to the STAR proximal promoter results in association of CBP and activation of RNA polymerase II leading to increased STAR transcription. ..
- Tripp K, Verstegen J, Deutsch C, Bonde R, de Wit M, Manire C, et al. Evaluation of adrenocortical function in Florida manatees (Trichechus manatus latirostris). Zoo Biol. 2011;30:17-31 pubmed publisher..Capture time was not significantly correlated with cortisol; ACTH correlation was borderline significant. Cortisol and ACTH were positively correlated with lactate...
- Enyeart J, Danthi S, Liu H, Enyeart J. Angiotensin II inhibits bTREK-1 K+ channels in adrenocortical cells by separate Ca2+- and ATP hydrolysis-dependent mechanisms. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30814-28 pubmed..The novel Ca2+-dependent pathway is distinctive in its lack of ATP dependence, and is clearly different from the calmodulin kinase-dependent mechanism by which AngII modulates T-type Ca2+ channels in these cells. ..
- Rao C, Zhou X, Lei Z. Functional luteinizing hormone/chorionic gonadotropin receptors in human adrenal cortical H295R cells. Biol Reprod. 2004;71:579-87 pubmed..This action is mediated by the cAMP/PKA signaling pathway. These findings support the concept that adrenal function in normal and pathological conditions could be influenced by LH and hCG. ..
- Li J, Feltzer R, Dawson K, Hudson E, Clark B. Janus kinase 2 and calcium are required for angiotensin II-dependent activation of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein transcription in H295R human adrenocortical cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:52355-62 pubmed..Taken together these studies describe a novel pathway controlling StAR expression and steroidogenesis in adrenocortical cells. ..
- Breuner C, Orchinik M, Hahn T, Meddle S, Moore I, Owen Ashley N, et al. Differential mechanisms for regulation of the stress response across latitudinal gradients. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2003;285:R594-600 pubmed..These differences could lead to dramatically different physiological and behavioral responses to stress. ..
- Wynne A, Scheithauer B, Young W, Kovacs K, Ebersold M, Horvath E. Coexisting corticotroph and lactotroph adenomas: case report with reference to the relationship of corticotropin and prolactin excess. Neurosurgery. 1992;30:919-23 pubmed..The mechanisms underlying simultaneous adrenocorticotropic hormone and prolactin excess are discussed...
- Enyeart J, Xu L, Enyeart J. A bovine adrenocortical Kv1.4 K(+) channel whose expression is potently inhibited by ACTH. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:34640-9 pubmed..Under conditions of prolonged stress or adrenal insufficiency, persistent ACTH-induced changes in the electrical properties of AZF cells could be coupled to parallel changes in cortisol secretion. ..
- Juul S, Yachnis A, Christensen R. Tissue distribution of erythropoietin and erythropoietin receptor in the developing human fetus. Early Hum Dev. 1998;52:235-49 pubmed..Further investigation is required to understand the nonhematopoietic role of Epo during human development. ..
- Brake P, Jefcoate C. Regulation of cytochrome P4501B1 in cultured rat adrenocortical cells by cyclic adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate and 2,3,7,8- tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin. Endocrinology. 1995;136:5034-41 pubmed
- Allen R, Carey C, Parker J, Mortrud M, Mellon S, Low M. Targeted ablation of pituitary pre-proopiomelanocortin cells by herpes simplex virus-1 thymidine kinase differentially regulates mRNAs encoding the adrenocorticotropin receptor and aldosterone synthase in the mouse adrenal gland. Mol Endocrinol. 1995;9:1005-16 pubmed
- Brownie A, Bhasker C, Waterman M. Levels of adrenodoxin, NADPH-cytochrome P-450 reductase and cytochromes P-45011 beta, P-45021, P-450scc, in adrenal zona fasciculata-reticularis tissue from androgen-treated rats. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1988;55:15-20 pubmed..This is consistent with the role of 11-deoxycorticosterone in the pathogenesis of androgen-induced hypertension in rats. ..
- Teo A, Garg S, Johnson T, Zhao W, Zhou J, GOMEZ SANCHEZ C, et al. Physiological and Pathological Roles in Human Adrenal of the Glomeruli-Defining Matrix Protein NPNT (Nephronectin). Hypertension. 2017;69:1207-1216 pubmed publisher..We propose that this arises through NPNT's binding to cell-surface integrins, stimulating cell-cell contact within glomeruli, which define ZG. Therefore, NPNT or its cognate integrin could present a novel therapeutic target. ..
- Monticone S, Hattangady N, Nishimoto K, Mantero F, Rubin B, Cicala M, et al. Effect of KCNJ5 mutations on gene expression in aldosterone-producing adenomas and adrenocortical cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:E1567-72 pubmed publisher..KCNJ5 mutations are prevalent in APA, and our data suggest that these mutations increase expression of CYP11B2 and NR4A2, thus increasing aldosterone production. ..
- Henríquez A, House J, Miller D, Snow S, Fisher A, Ren H, et al. Adrenal-derived stress hormones modulate ozone-induced lung injury and inflammation. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;329:249-258 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that ozone-induced lung injury and neutrophilic inflammation require the presence of circulating epinephrine and corticosterone, which transcriptionally regulates signaling mechanisms involved in this response. ..
- Conforti V, Morato R, Augusto A, de Oliveira E Sousa L, de Avila D, Brown J, et al. Noninvasive monitoring of adrenocortical function in captive jaguars (Panthera onca). Zoo Biol. 2012;31:426-41 pubmed publisher..01). Excretion of FCMs was assessed in 16 jaguars (7 M, 9 F) and found to be highly variable (range, 80.11-1.56?µg/g). In conclusion, this study presents a cortisol RIA for monitoring adrenocortical function in jaguars noninvasively...
- Xing Y, Cohen A, Rothblat G, Sankaranarayanan S, Weibel G, Royer L, et al. Aldosterone production in human adrenocortical cells is stimulated by high-density lipoprotein 2 (HDL2) through increased expression of aldosterone synthase (CYP11B2). Endocrinology. 2011;152:751-63 pubmed publisher..Of the two subfractions of HDL, HDL2 was more potent than HDL3 in stimulating aldosterone and CYP11B2. Further studies are needed to identify the active components of HDL, which regulate aldosterone production...
- Enyeart J, Liu H, Enyeart J. cAMP analogs and their metabolites enhance TREK-1 mRNA and K+ current expression in adrenocortical cells. Mol Pharmacol. 2010;77:469-82 pubmed publisher..These findings raise significant questions regarding the specificity of 8-(4-chlorophenylthio)-cAMP analogs as cAMP mimetics...
- Ye P, Nakamura Y, Lalli E, Rainey W. Differential effects of high and low steroidogenic factor-1 expression on CYP11B2 expression and aldosterone production in adrenocortical cells. Endocrinology. 2009;150:1303-9 pubmed publisher..The opposing effects of SF-1 on CYP11B1 and CYP11B2 suggest that the regulation of SF-1 activity may play a role that determines the relative ability to produce mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid. ..
- Smart J, Tolle V, Otero Corchon V, Low M. Central dysregulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in neuron-specific proopiomelanocortin-deficient mice. Endocrinology. 2007;148:647-59 pubmed
- Powers J, Pei Z, Heinzer A, Deering R, Moser A, Moser H, et al. Adreno-leukodystrophy: oxidative stress of mice and men. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2005;64:1067-79 pubmed..These differences between the adreno-leukodystrophy mouse and human patients are intriguing and may provide a clue to the phenotypic divergence in this disease...
- Pattison J, Conley A, Bird I. Isolation of marmoset P450c17 cDNA and gene regulation in vitro. Endocr Res. 2004;30:737-43 pubmed..Since marmoset adrenocortical cells exhibit similar endocrine function to rhesus, impaired 17,20-lyase activity in the adult marmoset adrenal may in part be due to differences in the primary sequence. ..
- Tanapat P, Hastings N, Rydel T, Galea L, Gould E. Exposure to fox odor inhibits cell proliferation in the hippocampus of adult rats via an adrenal hormone-dependent mechanism. J Comp Neurol. 2001;437:496-504 pubmed..These findings suggest that stressful experiences rapidly diminish cell proliferation by increasing adrenal hormone levels, resulting in a transient decrease in the number of adult-generated immature granule neurons. ..