Experts and Doctors on acute liver failure in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: acute liver failure
- Chen F, Ohashi N, Li W, Eckman C, Nguyen J. Disruptions of occludin and claudin-5 in brain endothelial cells in vitro and in brains of mice with acute liver failure. Hepatology. 2009;50:1914-23 pubmed publisher..TJ proteins are significantly perturbed in brains of mice with ALF. These data corroborate the important role of MMP-9 in the vasogenic mechanism of brain edema in ALF. ..
- Atluri D, Asgeri M, Mullen K. Reversibility of hepatic encephalopathy after liver transplantation. Metab Brain Dis. 2010;25:111-3 pubmed publisher..But, enough important exceptions to this rule are occurring to make further research on this topic mandatory. ..
- Vogel A, van den Berg I, Al Dhalimy M, Groopman J, Ou C, Ryabinina O, et al. Chronic liver disease in murine hereditary tyrosinemia type 1 induces resistance to cell death. Hepatology. 2004;39:433-43 pubmed..Stress-induced failure of cell death programs may lead to an accumulation of damaged cells and therefore enhance the risk for cancer as observed in HT1 and other chronic liver diseases. ..
- McKinley M. Recognizing and responding to acute liver failure. Nursing. 2009;39:38-44; quiz 44-5 pubmed publisher..By quickly recognizing the signs and symptoms of acute liver failure, you can help your patient improve his odds of surviving this often-deadly condition. ..
- Shimojima N, Eckman C, McKinney M, Sevlever D, Yamamoto S, Lin W, et al. Altered expression of zonula occludens-2 precedes increased blood-brain barrier permeability in a murine model of fulminant hepatic failure. J Invest Surg. 2008;21:101-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ZO-2 may play an important role in the pathogenesis of brain edema in FHF. ..
- Limaye P, Bhave V, Palkar P, Apte U, Sawant S, Yu S, et al. Upregulation of calpastatin in regenerating and developing rat liver: role in resistance against hepatotoxicity. Hepatology. 2006;44:379-88 pubmed..In conclusion, CAST overexpression could be used as a therapeutic strategy to prevent progression of liver injury where liver regeneration is severely hampered. ..
- Brundage S, Fitzpatrick A. Hepatitis A. Am Fam Physician. 2006;73:2162-8 pubmed..g., travelers to certain countries, men who have sex with men, drug abusers, recipients of clotting factor replacement) and for persons with chronic liver disease. ..
- Nguyen J, Yamamoto S, Steers J, Sevlever D, Lin W, Shimojima N, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 contributes to brain extravasation and edema in fulminant hepatic failure mice. J Hepatol. 2006;44:1105-14 pubmed..Our findings suggest that MMP-9 contributes to the pathogenesis of brain extravasation and edema in FHF. The necrotic liver is the source of MMP-9 in FHF. Inhibition of MMP-9 may protect against the development of brain edema in FHF. ..
- Gottlieb A, DeBoer K. Brain preservation during orthotopic liver transplantation in a patient with acute liver failure and severe elevation of intracranial pressure. J Gastrointest Surg. 2005;9:888-90 pubmed