Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia
Locale: Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia
Publications222 found, 100 shown here
- ..The recent applications of melittin in various cancers and a molecular explanation for the antiproliferative properties of bee venom are discussed. ..
- Jazvinsćak Jembrek M, Vuković L, Puhović J, Erhardt J, Orsolic N. Neuroprotective effect of quercetin against hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative injury in P19 neurons. J Mol Neurosci. 2012;47:286-99 pubmed publisher..In the light of these findings, one might assume beneficial effects of quercetin for the prevention of oxidative stress-driven neuronal loss in human aging and age-related neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Zunino P, TambaÄa J, CutrÃ¬ E, ÄŒaniÄ‡ S, Formaggia L, Migliavacca F. Integrated Stent Models Based on Dimension Reduction: Review and Future Perspectives. Ann Biomed Eng. 2016;44:604-17 pubmed publisher..Lastly, new results about the extension of these model reduction approaches to biodegradable stents are also discussed. ..
- Žura Žaja I, Samardzija M, Vince S, Vilić M, Majić Balić I, Đuričić D, et al. Differences in seminal plasma and spermatozoa antioxidative systems and seminal plasma lipid and protein levels among boar breeds and hybrid genetic traits. Anim Reprod Sci. 2016;170:75-82 pubmed publisher..Novel data and observed differences in semen variables among boar breeds and hybrids and their correlations with semen quality parameters in this study could contribute to better assessment of boar semen quality. ..
- Simic P, Culej J, Orlic I, Grgurevic L, Draca N, Spaventi R, et al. Systemically administered bone morphogenetic protein-6 restores bone in aged ovariectomized rats by increasing bone formation and suppressing bone resorption. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25509-21 pubmed..These results show, for the first time, that systemically administered BMP-6 restores the bone inductive capacity, microarchitecture, and quality of the skeleton in osteoporotic rats. ..
- Bilandžić N, Sedak M, Vratarić D, Perić T, Simić B. Lead and cadmium in red deer and wild boar from different hunting grounds in Croatia. Sci Total Environ. 2009;407:4243-7 pubmed publisher..077 to 0.108 mg/kg in red deer). Because of the high Cd level in the organs of wild boar and red deer, further research is needed to identify the source of contamination in order to preserve the health of animals and humans. ..
- Brdar B, Reich E. Selective irreversible inactivation of replicating mengovirus by nucleoside analogues: a new form of viral interference. J Virol. 1999;73:6444-52 pubmed
- Katavic V, Lukic I, Kovacic N, Grcevic D, Lorenzo J, Marusic A. Increased bone mass is a part of the generalized lymphoproliferative disorder phenotype in the mouse. J Immunol. 2003;170:1540-7 pubmed..These findings provide evidence that the disturbance of the bone system is a part of generalized lymphoproliferative syndrome and indicates the possible role of osteoprotegerin as a regulatory link between the bone and immune system. ..
- Bozic F, Lackovic G, Kovsca Janjatovic A, Smolec O, Valpotic I. Levamisole synergizes experimental F4ac+ Escherichia coli oral vaccine in stimulating ileal Peyer's patch T cells in weaned pigs. J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2006;29:199-204 pubmed
- Vuksic T, Zoricic I, Brcic L, Sever M, Klicek R, Radic B, et al. Stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 in trials for inflammatory bowel disease (PL-10, PLD-116, PL14736, Pliva, Croatia) heals ileoileal anastomosis in the rat. Surg Today. 2007;37:768-77 pubmed..This study showed BPC 157 to have a beneficial effect on ileoileal anastomosis healing in the rat. ..
- Bach Rojecky L, Lackovi Z. Central origin of the antinociceptive action of botulinum toxin type A. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2009;94:234-8 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate the necessity of retrograde axonal transport and involvement of the central nervous system for the antinociceptive activity of BTX-A...
- Belić M, Kusec V, Svetina A, Grizelj J, Robić M, Vrbanac Z, et al. The influence of sex on biochemical markers of bone turnover in dogs. Res Vet Sci. 2012;93:918-20 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggest that there are sex differences in biochemical markers of bone turnover in dogs which should be considered in interpretation of bone marker data. ..
- Sikiric P, Seiwerth S, Rucman R, Turkovic B, Rokotov D, Brcic L, et al. Focus on ulcerative colitis: stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157. Curr Med Chem. 2012;19:126-32 pubmed..e., no toxic effect, limit test negative, LD1 not achieved, no side effect in trials) may counteract the problems commonly exercised in the use of peptidergic agents, particularly those used on a long-term basis. ..
- Martinkovic F, Marinculic A. Antibodies against Leishmania cross-react with Crithidia luciliae: indirect immunofluorescence and Dot-ELISA study in dogs. Parasitol Res. 2006;98:378-80 pubmed..We compared 100 canine sera by indirect immunofluorescence and Dot-ELISA. Both atigens showed same results. ..
- Kujundzić R, Lowenthal J. The role of tryptophan metabolism in iNOS transcription and nitric oxide production by chicken macrophage cells upon treatment with interferon gamma. Immunol Lett. 2008;115:153-9 pubmed
- Prester L, Macan J, Varnai V, Orct T, Vukusic J, Kipcic D. Endotoxin and biogenic amine levels in Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus), sardine (Sardina pilchardus) and Mediterranean hake (Merluccius merluccius) stored at 22 degrees C. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess. 2009;26:355-62 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, high endotoxin levels in hake, after 24 h, were associated with the low histamine and putrescine content (40-60 mg kg(-1))...
- Grgurevic L, Macek B, Healy D, Brault A, Erjavec I, Cipcic A, et al. Circulating bone morphogenetic protein 1-3 isoform increases renal fibrosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:681-92 pubmed publisher..Taken together, inhibition of circulating BMP1-3 reduces renal fibrosis, suggesting that this pathway may be a therapeutic target for CKD. ..
- Curik I, Fraser D, Eder C, Achmann R, Swinburne J, Crameri R, et al. Association between the MHC gene region and variation of serum IgE levels against specific mould allergens in the horse. Genet Sel Evol. 2003;35 Suppl 1:S177-90 pubmed..However, although the strongest associations were found with DQA and UM-011, this study did not distinguish if the observed effects were due to the MHC itself or to other tightly linked genes. ..
- Blagaic A, Blagaic V, Romic Z, Sikiric P. The influence of gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 on acute and chronic ethanol administration in mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 2004;499:285-90 pubmed..6 g/kg) through 13 days, with provocation on the 14th day...
- Cvetnic Z, Spicic S, Curic S, Jukic B, Lojkic M, Albert D, et al. Isolation of Brucella suis biovar 3 from horses in Croatia. Vet Rec. 2005;156:584-5 pubmed
- Luki Bilela L, Brandt D, Pojski N, Wiens M, Gamulin V, M ller W. Mitochondrial genome of Suberites domuncula: palindromes and inverted repeats are abundant in non-coding regions. Gene. 2008;412:1-11 pubmed publisher..S. ficus has frequently been reported as being both synonymous with, as well as a separate species from S. domuncula. We have found polymorphisms in IGR of both species and long deletions (43 and 167 bp in size) in two IGR of S. ficus...
- Puljiz I, Kuzman I, Markotic A. Imported case of nephropathia epidemica--a case report. Coll Antropol. 2008;32:1263-5 pubmed..Pathologic laboratory findings included thrombocytopenia, leukocytosis, increased values of C-reactive protein, blood urea and creatinine, abnormal chest X-ray and transient electrocardiogram abnormalities. ..
- Dikic D, Zidovec Lepej S, Remenar A, Horvat Knezevic A, Benkovic V, Lisicic D, et al. The effects of prometryne on subchronically treated mice evaluated by SCGE assay. Acta Biol Hung. 2009;60:35-43 pubmed publisher..We conclude that prometryne or its metabolic residues have the potential to induce processes that cause genotoxic effects on leukocytes on mice in in vivo repeated exposure. ..
- Severin K, Masek T, Janicki Z, Konjevic D, Slavica A, Marinculic A, et al. Liver enzymes and blood metabolites in a population of free-ranging red deer (Cervus elaphus) naturally infected with Fascioloides magna. J Helminthol. 2012;86:190-6 pubmed publisher..hepatica infection. Further investigation of changes in liver enzymes and other serum metabolites in controlled, experimentally induced fascioloidosis in red deer is needed to better understand the pathogenesis of F. magna...
- Premzl M. Comparative genomic analysis of eutherian interferon-?-inducible GTPases. Funct Integr Genomics. 2012;12:599-607 pubmed publisher..This mini-review has also provided new tests of reliability of public genomic sequences as well as tests of protein molecular evolution. ..
- Luchetti A, Å atoviÄ‡ E, Mantovani B, Plohl M. RUDI, a short interspersed element of the V-SINE superfamily widespread in molluscan genomes. Mol Genet Genomics. 2016;291:1419-29 pubmed publisher..Nucleotide variability and phylogenetic analyses suggest long-term vertical inheritance combined with at least one horizontal transfer event as the most parsimonious explanation for the observed taxonomic distribution. ..
- Lenhard B, Orellana O, Ibba M, Weygand Durasevic I. tRNA recognition and evolution of determinants in seryl-tRNA synthesis. Nucleic Acids Res. 1999;27:721-9 pubmed
- Prester L, Macan J, Matković K, Vucemilo M. Determination of Aspergillus fumigatus allergen 1 in poultry farms using the enzyme immunoassay. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol. 2010;61:167-73 pubmed publisher..This study has shown that Asp f 1 settles on dust at poultry farms and that occupational exposure to this allergen deserves monitoring in livestock buildings. ..
- Paar V, Gluncic M, Rosandic M, Basar I, Vlahovic I. Intragene higher order repeats in neuroblastoma breakpoint family genes distinguish humans from chimpanzees. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1877-92 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize about the possible importance of human accelerated HOR patterns as components in the gene expression multilayered regulatory network. ..
- Babić Z, Crkvenčić M, Rajic Z, Mikecin A, Kralj M, Balzarini J, et al. New sorafenib derivatives: synthesis, antiproliferative activity against tumour cell lines and antimetabolic evaluation. Molecules. 2012;17:1124-37 pubmed publisher..The compounds inhibited DNA, RNA and protein synthesis to a similar extent and did not discriminate between tumour cell lines and primary fibroblasts in terms of their anti-proliferative activity. ..
- Vanić Z, Skalko Basnet N. Nanopharmaceuticals for improved topical vaginal therapy: can they deliver?. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2013;50:29-41 pubmed publisher..Promising new approaches in nanopharmaceutical design are discussed in this review, as well as the controversies related to mucoadhesiveness of nanopharmaceuticals. ..
- Gajovic S. Publishing interdisciplinary research--a perspective from the Croatian Medical Journal. Croat Med J. 2015;56:399-400 pubmed
- Antabak A, Papeš D, Haluzan D, Seiwerth S, Fuchs N, Romic I, et al. Reducing damage to the periosteal capillary network caused by internal fixation plating: An experimental study. Injury. 2015;46 Suppl 6:S18-20 pubmed publisher..A randomised clinical trial is needed to prove the clinical relevance of these findings. ..
- Popovic M, Zaja R, Fent K, Smital T. Molecular characterization of zebrafish Oatp1d1 (Slco1d1), a novel organic anion-transporting polypeptide. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:33894-911 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we describe the first detailed characterization of a new Oatp transporter in zebrafish, offering important insights into the functional evolution of the OATP1/Oatp1 family and the physiological role of Oatp1d1. ..
- Vukicevic S, Kopp J, Luyten F, Sampath T. Induction of nephrogenic mesenchyme by osteogenic protein 1 (bone morphogenetic protein 7). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:9021-6 pubmed..5 kidney rudiment, greatly reduced metanephric differentiation. These results demonstrate that OP-1 is required for metanephric mesenchyme differentiation and plays a functional role during kidney development. ..
- Popovic M, Hrcenjak T, Babic T, Kos J, Grdisa M. Effect of earthworm (G-90) extract on formation and lysis of clots originated from venous blood of dogs with cardiopathies and with malignant tumors. Pathol Oncol Res. 2001;7:197-202 pubmed
- Ivankovic A, Kavar T, Caput P, Mioc B, Pavic V, Dovc P. Genetic diversity of three donkey populations in the Croatian coastal region. Anim Genet. 2002;33:169-77 pubmed..Haplotypes W and Ws were found in the NA and LD populations which include smaller animals. All three haplotypes were found in the LD population, indicating sporadic migration events from the IS into LD donkey population...
- Oreskovic D, Klarica M, Vukic M. The formation and circulation of cerebrospinal fluid inside the cat brain ventricles: a fact or an illusion?. Neurosci Lett. 2002;327:103-6 pubmed..This indicates that CSF net formation and circulation inside the brain ventricles, proposed by classical hypothesis regarding CSF dynamics, should be at least re-evaluated. ..
- Cvetnic Z, Mitak M, Ocepek M, Lojkic M, Terzic S, Jemersic L, et al. Wild boars (Sus scrofa) as reservoirs of Brucella suis biovar 2 in Croatia. Acta Vet Hung. 2003;51:465-73 pubmed..1%) swine, as well as from 10 (62.5%) out of 16 aborted piglets. In all the isolates Brucella suis biovar 2 was identified. Wild boars are carriers and reservoirs of Brucella suis biovar 2 in Croatia...
- Dodig S, Cepelak I. The facts and controversies about selenium. Acta Pharm. 2004;54:261-76 pubmed..Investigations in Croatia indicate a possibility of inadequate selenium status of people in the area. ..
- Sabolic I, Skarica M, Gorboulev V, Ljubojevic M, Balen D, Herak Kramberger C, et al. Rat renal glucose transporter SGLT1 exhibits zonal distribution and androgen-dependent gender differences. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;290:F913-26 pubmed
- Roić B, Cajavec S, Toncić J, Madic J, Lipej Z, Jemersic L, et al. Prevalence of antibodies to porcine parvovirus in wild boars (Sus scrofa) in Croatia. J Wildl Dis. 2005;41:796-9 pubmed..Adults had a significantly higher prevalence (70%) than juveniles (31%; P < 0.01). Our results indicate that wild boar populations throughout the Republic of Croatia are exposed to PPV...
- Pericić D, Strac D, Jembrek M, Vlainić J. Allosteric uncoupling and up-regulation of benzodiazepine and GABA recognition sites following chronic diazepam treatment of HEK 293 cells stably transfected with alpha1beta2gamma2S subunits of GABA (A) receptors. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2007;375:177-87 pubmed..A comparable increase of [(3)H]muscimol binding sites expressed on the surface of intact HEK 293 cells suggests that internalisation of surface receptors presumably can not explain the uncoupling. ..
- Tisljar M, Beck R, Cooper R, Marinculic A, Tudja M, Lukac Novak I, et al. First finding of libyostrongylosis in farm-reared ostriches (Struthio camelus) in Croatia: unusual histopathological finding in the brain of two ostriches, naturally infected with Libyostrongylus douglasi. Vet Parasitol. 2007;147:118-24 pubmed
- Mitrecic D, Malnar T, Gajovic S. Nucleolar protein 1 (Nol1) expression in the mouse brain. Coll Antropol. 2008;32 Suppl 1:123-6 pubmed..Nol1 was expressed not only in the dividing cells within the brain, but as well in the postmitotic neurons. This suggested a general role of Nol1 in assembling of ribosomes in cells with high protein production. ..
- Gjurasin M, Miklic P, Zupancic B, Perovic D, Zarkovic K, Brcic L, et al. Peptide therapy with pentadecapeptide BPC 157 in traumatic nerve injury. Regul Pept. 2010;160:33-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, BPC 157 markedly improved rat sciatic nerve healing. ..
- Vlainić J, Pericić D. Zolpidem is a potent anticonvulsant in adult and aged mice. Brain Res. 2010;1310:181-8 pubmed publisher..Neither of these effects was age-dependent. The results suggest that in addition to strong sedative activity zolpidem has potent anticonvulsant properties. ..
- Rumora L, Grubisić T. A journey through mitogen-activated protein kinase and ochratoxin A interactions. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol. 2009;60:449-56 pubmed publisher..This review looks into OTA-mediated MAPK activation and its effects. ..
- Pevec D, Novinscak T, Brcic L, Sipos K, Jukic I, Staresinic M, et al. Impact of pentadecapeptide BPC 157 on muscle healing impaired by systemic corticosteroid application. Med Sci Monit. 2010;16:BR81-88 pubmed..BPC 157 completely reversed systemic corticosteroid-impaired muscle healing. ..
- Marakovic J, Oreskovic D, Rados M, Vukic M, Jurjević I, Chudy D, et al. Effect of osmolarity on CSF volume during ventriculo-aqueductal and ventriculo-cisternal perfusions in cats. Neurosci Lett. 2010;484:93-7 pubmed publisher..The CSF exchange between the entire CSF system and the surrounding tissue should, therefore, be determined by (patho)physiological conditions that predominate within those compartments. ..
- Vnuk D, Lemo N, Nesek Adam V, Maticic D, Radisić B, Kos J, et al. Cardiopulmonary effects of hemorrhagic shock in splenic autotransplanted pigs: a new surgical model. Coll Antropol. 2010;34:923-30 pubmed..In comparison to mice, rats or dogs, this species could be an interesting investigation model to test new surgical procedures during splenic related hemorrhagic shock, with potential applications in human medicine. ..
- Gabrilovac J, Cupic B, Zapletal E, Brozovic A. IFN-? up-regulates ? opioid receptors (KOR) on murine macrophage cell line J774. J Neuroimmunol. 2012;245:56-65 pubmed publisher..The data may be relevant for better understanding of the role of KOR and their endogenous ligand Dynorphin-A in regulation of inflammatory and immune responses. ..
- Tkalec M, Stambuk A, Srut M, Malarić K, Klobučar G. Oxidative and genotoxic effects of 900 MHz electromagnetic fields in the earthworm Eisenia fetida. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2013;90:7-12 pubmed publisher..fetida exposure to 900 MHz electromagnetic radiation. Nature of detected DNA lesions and oxidative stress as the mechanism of action for the induction of DNA damage are discussed. ..
- Matthews B, Torreggiani E, Roeder E, Matić I, Grcevic D, Kalajzic I. Osteogenic potential of alpha smooth muscle actin expressing muscle resident progenitor cells. Bone. 2016;84:69-77 pubmed publisher..In contrast, muscle satellite cells make minimal contribution to bone formation in vivo. ..
- Grgurevic L, Christensen G, Schulz T, Vukicevic S. Bone morphogenetic proteins in inflammation, glucose homeostasis and adipose tissue energy metabolism. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2016;27:105-18 pubmed publisher..However, increased understanding of these pleiotropic functions also highlights the necessity of tissue-specific strategies when harnessing BMP action as a therapeutic target. ..
- Zuskin E, Mustajbegovic J, Godnic Cvar J, Simunović Sublin A, Kanceljak Macan B, Sonicki Z. [Respiratory symptoms and ventilatory function of the lungs in wool textile industry workers]. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol. 1995;46:323-32 pubmed..Our data suggest that dust exposure in wool textile mills may be associated with the development of chronic respiratory symptoms and impaired lung function...
- Antica M, Wu L, Scollay R. Stem cell antigen 2 expression in adult and developing mice. Immunol Lett. 1997;55:47-51 pubmed..With more sensitive methods we show that the distribution of Sca-2/TSA-1 differs from existing reports. We find especially high expression of Sca-2/TSA1 at day 14 of fetal development. ..
- Martin Kleiner I, Flegar Mestric Z, Zadro R, Breljak D, Stanovic Janda S, Stojkovic R, et al. The effect of the zeolite clinoptilolite on serum chemistry and hematopoiesis in mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2001;39:717-27 pubmed..The clinoptilolite preparations ameliorated the sodium and chloride decline, whereas the effects on hematopoiesis were erratic. ..
- Gabrilovac J, Abramić M, Uzarević B, Andreis A, Poljak L. Dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPPIV) enzyme activity on immature T-cell line R1.1 is down-regulated by dynorphin-A(1-17) as a non-substrate inhibitor. Life Sci. 2003;73:151-66 pubmed..By down-regulating DPPIV, dynorphin-A(1-17) may indirectly affect activity and/or specificity of natural substrates of DPPIV, such as substance P, RANTES, and endomorphins. ..
- Mitrecic D, Kostovic Knezevic L, Gajovic S. Morphological features of tail bud development in truncate mouse mutants. Cells Tissues Organs. 2004;178:23-32 pubmed..We suggest that the improper regionalization of the tail bud, where notochord is associated with the neural tube rather than with the tail gut, is related to the subsequent segmental lack of the notochord in truncate mutants. ..
- Petrović V, Plohl M. Sequence divergence and conservation in organizationally distinct subfamilies of Donax trunculus satellite DNA. Gene. 2005;362:37-43 pubmed..The persistence of conserved segments stands in contrast to the sequence and organizational divergence of monomer variant groups, and may indicate constraints in the evolution of DTF1 satellite repeats. ..
- Vukicevic S, Simic P, Borovecki F, Grgurevic L, Rogic D, Orlic I, et al. Role of EP2 and EP4 receptor-selective agonists of prostaglandin E(2) in acute and chronic kidney failure. Kidney Int. 2006;70:1099-106 pubmed..Thus, agonism of EP2 and EP4 receptors may provide a basis for treating acute and chronic kidney failure. ..
- Ivankovic S, Stojkovic R, Jukic M, Milos M, Jurin M. The antitumor activity of thymoquinone and thymohydroquinone in vitro and in vivo. Exp Oncol. 2006;28:220-4 pubmed..05). The results indicate that THQ antitumor activity may be improved with further dose increase of the investigated substance. ..
- Lukic I, Jelusić Drazić M, Kovacic N, Grcevic D. Damage-associated molecular patterns--emerging targets for biologic therapy of childhood arthritides. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets. 2009;8:139-45 pubmed..Thus, it was the purpose of the present review to give an overview of the present knowledge on the topic and to bring this exciting new therapeutic possibility to the focus of rheumatologists. ..
- Blagaic V, Houra K, Turcić P, Stambuk N, Konjevoda P, Boban Blagaic A, et al. The influence of alpha-, beta-, and gamma-melanocyte stimulating hormone on acetaminophen induced liver lesions in male CBA mice. Molecules. 2010;15:1232-41 pubmed publisher..It was found that alpha-, beta-, and gamma-MSH decrease intensity of lesions by both criteria in a dose-dependent manner. ..
- Malnar M, Kosicek M, Mitterreiter S, Omerbasic D, Lichtenthaler S, Goate A, et al. Niemann-Pick type C cells show cholesterol dependent decrease of APP expression at the cell surface and its increased processing through the beta-secretase pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1802:682-91 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that cholesterol may modulate APP processing indirectly by modulating APP expression at the cell surface and thus its cleavage by beta-secretase. ..
- Pezer Z, Brajković J, Feliciello I, Ugarkovć D. Satellite DNA-mediated effects on genome regulation. Genome Dyn. 2012;7:153-69 pubmed publisher..Such diverse forms of genome regulation modulated by satellite DNAs may be controlled by selective pressures and could influence the adaptability of the organism. ..
- Ferencakovic M, Curik I, Pérez Pardal L, Royo L, Cubric Curik V, Fernandez I, et al. Mitochondrial DNA and Y-chromosome diversity in East Adriatic sheep. Anim Genet. 2013;44:184-92 pubmed publisher..This is most likely the result of breeder efforts to 'upgrade' local populations using rams with different paternal origins. ..
- Arbanasić H, Huber Đ, Kusak J, Gomercić T, Hrenovic J, Galov A. Extensive polymorphism and evidence of selection pressure on major histocompatibility complex DLA-DRB1, DQA1 and DQB1 class II genes in Croatian grey wolves. Tissue Antigens. 2013;81:19-27 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that, despite the recent contraction of the Croatian wolf population, genetic variability in selectively maintained immune genes has been preserved. ..
- Freedman A, Gronau I, Schweizer R, Ortega Del Vecchyo D, Han E, Silva P, et al. Genome sequencing highlights the dynamic early history of dogs. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004016 pubmed publisher..This result, in combination with dog-wolf admixture during the process of domestication, suggests that a re-evaluation of past hypotheses regarding dog origins is necessary. ..
- LojkiÄ‡ I, BiÄ‘in M, PrpiÄ‡ J, Å imiÄ‡ I, KreÅ¡iÄ‡ N, BedekoviÄ‡ T. Faecal virome of red foxes from peri-urban areas. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;45:10-5 pubmed publisher..Our fox picobirnavirus was more closely related to the porcine and human picobirnaviruses than to known fox picobirnaviruses. ..
- Guja K, Liehr T, Rincic M, Kosyakova N, Hussein Azawi S. Molecular Cytogenetic Characterization Identified the Murine B-Cell Lymphoma Cell Line A-20 as a Model for Sporadic Burkitt's Lymphoma. J Histochem Cytochem. 2017;65:669-677 pubmed publisher..Overall, finally here, the necessary genetic data to identify A-20 as a model for human sporadic Burkitt's lymphoma are provided. ..
- Cetkovic H, Mikoc A, Muller W, Gamulin V. Ras-like small GTPases form a large family of proteins in the marine sponge Suberites domuncula. J Mol Evol. 2007;64:332-41 pubmed..domuncula and mammals. Our results indicate that duplications and diversifications of genes encoding Ras-like small GTPases, especially the Rab subfamily of small GTPases, happened very early in the evolution of Metazoa...
- Klarica M, Oreskovic D, Bozic B, Vukic M, Butković V, Bulat M. New experimental model of acute aqueductal blockage in cats: effects on cerebrospinal fluid pressure and the size of brain ventricles. Neuroscience. 2009;158:1397-405 pubmed publisher..The lack of the increase in the CSF pressure and ventricular dilation during 2 h of aqueductal blockage suggests that aqueductal obstruction by itself does not lead to development of hypertensive acute hydrocephalus in cats. ..
- Cvetnic Z, Spicic S, Toncic J, Majnaric D, Benic M, Albert D, et al. Brucella suis infection in domestic pigs and wild boar in Croatia. Rev Sci Tech. 2009;28:1057-67 pubmed..This is the first report of B. suis biovar 3 in swine and wild boar in Europe, which is an issue of serious concern for public health...
- Ljubojevic M, Balen D, Breljak D, Kusan M, Anzai N, Bahn A, et al. Renal expression of organic anion transporter OAT2 in rats and mice is regulated by sex hormones. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;292:F361-72 pubmed..Therefore, OAT2 in rat (and mouse) kidney is localized to the BB of S3, exhibiting gender differences (F > M) that appear in puberty and are caused by strong androgen inhibition and weak estrogen and progesterone stimulation. ..
- Grcevic D, Lukic I, Kovacic N, Ivcevic S, Katavic V, Marusic A. Activated T lymphocytes suppress osteoclastogenesis by diverting early monocyte/macrophage progenitor lineage commitment towards dendritic cell differentiation through down-regulation of receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappaB and c-Fos. Clin Exp Immunol. 2006;146:146-58 pubmed
- Kapetanovic D, Vardić I, Kurtović B, Valić D, Teskeredzić E. Detection of the causative agent of furunculusis, Aeromonas salmonicida in salmonids of the Krka River. Vet Res Commun. 2008;32:131-5 pubmed..Bacterial analysis also revealed the presence of Shigella spp. and Pseudomonas fluorescens. Isolation of Aeromonas salmonicida from trout, presents first isolation of this bacteria Croatian rivers...
- Paar V, Pavin N, Basar I, Rosandic M, Gluncic M, Paar N. Hierarchical structure of cascade of primary and secondary periodicities in Fourier power spectrum of alphoid higher order repeats. BMC Bioinformatics. 2008;9:466 pubmed publisher..The number of lower frequency peaks (secondary periodicity) below the frequency of the first primary periodicity peak reveals the size of nmer HOR, i.e., the number n of monomers contained in consensus HOR. ..
- Kovarik Z, Vrdoljak A, Berend S, Katalinić M, Kuc K, Musilek K, et al. Evaluation of oxime k203 as antidote in tabun poisoning. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol. 2009;60:19-26 pubmed publisher..This therapeutic improvement obtained by K203 in tabun-poisoning places this oxime in the spotlight for further development...
- Vlainić J, Pericić D. Effects of acute and repeated zolpidem treatment on pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure threshold and on locomotor activity: comparison with diazepam. Neuropharmacology. 2009;56:1124-30 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that alpha5-containing GABA(A) receptors are not crucial for the development of sedative and anticonvulsant tolerance. ..
- Sviben M, Cavlek T, Missoni E, Galinović G. Seroprevalence of Toxocara canis infection among asymptomatic children with eosinophilia in Croatia. J Helminthol. 2009;83:369-71 pubmed publisher..Our results showed a high seroprevalence rate of T. canis infection among children with eosinophilia. It is important that testing for toxocariasis should be included in a differential diagnosis of eosinophilia, especially in children...
- Kovsca Janjatovic A, Lackovic G, Bozic F, Spoljaric D, Popovic M, Valpotic H, et al. Histomorphometric characteristics of immune cells in small intestine of pigs perorally immunized with vaccine candidate F18ac+ nonenterotoxigenic E. coli strain. Eur J Histochem. 2009;53:189-98 pubmed..Quantitative immunophenotypic analyses showed that levamisole treated pigs had highly increased numbers of jejunal CD3+, CD45RC+ and SWC3+ cells (p. ..
- Grgurevic L, Macek B, Mercep M, Jelic M, Smoljanovic T, Erjavec I, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)1-3 enhances bone repair. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;408:25-31 pubmed publisher..We suggest that BMP1-3 is a novel systemic regulator of bone repair. ..