Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on virulence in Shanghai, Shanghai Shi, China
Locale: Shanghai, Shanghai Shi, China
- Liu H, Wang Q, Liu Q, Cao X, Shi C, Zhang Y. Roles of Hfq in the stress adaptation and virulence in fish pathogen Vibrio alginolyticus and its potential application as a target for live attenuated vaccine. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2011;91:353-64 pubmed publisher..alginolyticus. Moreover, high immunoprotective rate was achieved with a single dose of injection or immersion vaccination with live hfq mutant, suggesting the mutant's merits as a valuable vaccine candidate against V. alginolyticus...
- Tu J, Lu F, Miao S, Ni X, Jiang P, Yu H, et al. The siderophore-interacting protein is involved in iron acquisition and virulence of Riemerella anatipestifer strain CH3. Vet Microbiol. 2014;168:395-402 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results demonstrated that R. anatipestifer SIP was involved in iron acquisition and necessary for its optimal virulence...
- Tian Y, Wang Q, Liu Q, Ma Y, Cao X, Zhang Y. Role of RpoS in stress survival, synthesis of extracellular autoinducer 2, and virulence in Vibrio alginolyticus. Arch Microbiol. 2008;190:585-94 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that the global regulator RpoS was part of the regulatory networks of virulence and LuxS quorum sensing system...
- Zhang L, Ru H, Chen F, Jin C, Sun R, Fan X, et al. Variable Virulence and Efficacy of BCG Vaccine Strains in Mice and Correlation With Genome Polymorphisms. Mol Ther. 2016;24:398-405 pubmed publisher..Our findings have important implications for current BCG vaccine programs and for future TB vaccine development. ..
- Xu G, Zhang X, Liu Q, Bing G, Hu Z, Sun H, et al. PA-X protein contributes to virulence of triple-reassortant H1N2 influenza virus by suppressing early immune responses in swine. Virology. 2017;508:45-53 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the importance of PA-X in the moderation of virulence and immune responses of TR SIV in swine, which indicated that PA-X is a pro-virulence factor in TR SIV in pigs. ..
- Ren H, Zhu F, Cao M, Wen X, Zhao P, Qi Z. Hepatitis G virus genomic RNA is pathogenic to Macaca mulatta. World J Gastroenterol. 2005;11:970-5 pubmed..Macaca mulatta is susceptible to the inoculated HGV, and therefore can be used as an experimental animal model for the studies of HGV infection and pathogenesis. ..
- Wang K, Lu W, Chen J, Xie S, Shi H, Hsu H, et al. PEDV ORF3 encodes an ion channel protein and regulates virus production. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:384-91 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the ORF3 gene from an attenuated PEDV encodes a truncated protein with 49 nucleotide deletions, which lacks the ion channel activity. ..
- Wang Y, Wang Q, Xiao J, Liu Q, Wu H, Zhang Y. Genetic relationships of Edwardsiella strains isolated in China aquaculture revealed by rep-PCR genomic fingerprinting and investigation of Edwardsiella virulence genes. J Appl Microbiol. 2011;111:1337-48 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to classify Edwardsiella strains isolated from China aquaculture based on biochemical and molecular methods...
- Han X, Bai H, Liu L, Dong H, Liu R, Song J, et al. The luxS gene functions in the pathogenesis of avian pathogenic Escherichia coli. Microb Pathog. 2013;55:21-7 pubmed publisher..05). In addition, the deletion of the luxS gene reduced the motility of the bacterium. This study suggests that the luxS gene functions in the pathogenesis of diseases caused by avian pathogenic E. coli...
- Jiang L, Mu J, Zhang Q, Ni T, Srinivasan P, Rayavara K, et al. PfSETvs methylation of histone H3K36 represses virulence genes in Plasmodium falciparum. Nature. 2013;499:223-7 pubmed publisher..PfSETvs knockout parasites expressing all PfEMP1 proteins may also be applied to the development of a malaria vaccine. ..
- Zhang H, Li X, Guo J, Li L, Chang C, Li Y, et al. The PB2 E627K mutation contributes to the high polymerase activity and enhanced replication of H7N9 influenza virus. J Gen Virol. 2014;95:779-86 pubmed publisher..Our results show the PB2 E627K mutation has played an important role in this H7N9 influenza outbreak and in the pathogenicity of the H7N9 virus. ..
- Xue J, Jiang W, Chen Y, Gong F, Wang M, Zeng P, et al. Thioredoxin reductase from Toxoplasma gondii: an essential virulence effector with antioxidant function. FASEB J. 2017;31:4447-4457 pubmed publisher..gondii infection.-Xue, J., Jiang, W., Chen, Y., Gong, F., Wang, M., Zeng, P., Xia, C., Wang, Q., Huang, K. Thioredoxin reductase from Toxoplasma gondii: an essential virulence effector with antioxidant function. ..
- Liu H, Gu D, Cao X, Liu Q, Wang Q, Zhang Y. Characterization of a new quorum sensing regulator luxT and its roles in the extracellular protease production, motility, and virulence in fish pathogen Vibrio alginolyticus. Arch Microbiol. 2012;194:439-52 pubmed publisher..The fish infection results indicated that mutation of luxT led to marginal attenuation in the virulence of V. alginolyticus, suggesting that LuxT might play a role in the fine-tuning of the virulence via QS in V. alginolyticus...
- Li M, Cheung G, Hu J, Wang D, Joo H, Deleo F, et al. Comparative analysis of virulence and toxin expression of global community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains. J Infect Dis. 2010;202:1866-76 pubmed publisher..Our study indicates a major but not exclusive impact of virulence on the epidemiological success of USA300 and other CA-MRSA strains and emphasizes the importance of core genome-encoded toxins in CA-MRSA skin infections...
- Jiang H, Zhang S, Wang Q, Wang J, Geng L, Toyoda T. Influenza virus genome C4 promoter/origin attenuates its transcription and replication activity by the low polymerase recognition activity. Virology. 2010;408:190-6 pubmed publisher..When all the eight genome segments of WSN strain were changed to U4, the virus titer was 760 times higher than the wild type. However, its pathogenicity in mice was lower than the wild type. ..
- Wang X, Wang Q, Xiao J, Liu Q, Wu H, Xu L, et al. Edwardsiella tarda T6SS component evpP is regulated by esrB and iron, and plays essential roles in the invasion of fish. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2009;27:469-77 pubmed publisher..tarda and merits as potential target for attenuated live vaccine construction...
- Zheng H, Lu L, Wang B, Pu S, Zhang X, Zhu G, et al. Genetic basis of virulence attenuation revealed by comparative genomic analysis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strain H37Ra versus H37Rv. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2375 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications not only for improved understanding of pathogenesis of M. tuberculosis but also for development of new vaccines and new therapeutic agents. ..
- Wang Q, Liu Q, Cao X, Yang M, Zhang Y. Characterization of two TonB systems in marine fish pathogen Vibrio alginolyticus: their roles in iron utilization and virulence. Arch Microbiol. 2008;190:595-603 pubmed publisher..alginolyticus was observed, indicating that both of the TonB systems are essential for the virulence of V. alginolyticus. ..
- Xiao J, Wang Q, Liu Q, Xu L, Wang X, Wu H, et al. Characterization of Edwardsiella tarda rpoS: effect on serum resistance, chondroitinase activity, biofilm formation, and autoinducer synthetases expression. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2009;83:151-60 pubmed publisher..tarda to internalize in EPC cells, indicating that RpoS was, while not the main, the factor required for the virulence network of E. tarda...
- Ren S, Fu G, Jiang X, Zeng R, Miao Y, Xu H, et al. Unique physiological and pathogenic features of Leptospira interrogans revealed by whole-genome sequencing. Nature. 2003;422:888-93 pubmed
- Wang C, Duan Z, St Leger R. MOS1 osmosensor of Metarhizium anisopliae is required for adaptation to insect host hemolymph. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:302-9 pubmed..Insect bioassays confirmed that Mos1 knockdown significantly reduces virulence. Overall, our data show that M. anisopliae MOS1 mediates cellular responses to high osmotic pressure and subsequent adaptations to colonize host hemolymph. ..
- Ye J, Ma Y, Liu Q, Zhao D, Wang Q, Zhang Y. Regulation of Vibrio alginolyticus virulence by the LuxS quorum-sensing system. J Fish Dis. 2008;31:161-9 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the LuxS QS system plays an important role in regulating the expression of virulence factors in V. alginolyticus...
- Wan B, Zhang Q, Ni J, Li S, Wen D, Li J, et al. Type VI secretion system contributes to Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli virulence by secreting catalase against host reactive oxygen species (ROS). PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006246 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that EHEC could sense oxidative stress in phagosome and decrease the host cell ROS by secreting catalase KatN to facilitate its survival in the host cells. ..
- Yang X, Yang H, Zhou G, Zhao G. Infectious disease in the genomic era. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2008;9:21-48 pubmed publisher..This progress may lead to the development of effective and safe vaccines in the future. Here we highlight the ongoing historical transition in the field of infectious disease research and clinical practice in the new era of genomics. ..
- Lu F, Miao S, Tu J, Ni X, Xing L, Yu H, et al. The role of TonB-dependent receptor TbdR1 in Riemerella anatipestifer in iron acquisition and virulence. Vet Microbiol. 2013;167:713-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results demonstrated that TbdR1 was involved in hemin iron acquisition and necessary for optimal bacterial virulence. ..
- Duan Z, Chen Y, Huang W, Shang Y, Chen P, Wang C. Linkage of autophagy to fungal development, lipid storage and virulence in Metarhizium robertsii. Autophagy. 2013;9:538-49 pubmed publisher..robertsii for fungal differentiation, lipid biogenesis and insect infection. The results advance our understanding of autophagic process in fungi and provide evidence to connect autophagy with lipid metabolism. ..
- Gao S, Zhou F, Liu T, Li Y, Chen J. A MAP kinase gene, Clk1, is required for conidiation and pathogenicity in the phytopathogenic fungus Curvularia lunata. J Basic Microbiol. 2013;53:214-23 pubmed publisher..Clk1 mutants grew slower in adverse environments (at 24°C), produced less cell degrading enzymes (CWDEs) than the wild type, and they were almost unable to infect maize leaves via artificial wounds. ..
- Yang Y, Xu Z, Zhang Y, Tian J, Weng L, Wang L. A new quorum-sensing inhibitor attenuates virulence and decreases antibiotic resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Microbiol. 2012;50:987-93 pubmed publisher..Data from real-time RT-PCR suggested that C2 inhibited the expression of lasR (29.67%), lasI (21.57%), rhlR (28.20%), and rhlI (29.03%). ..
- Cen K, Li B, Lu Y, Zhang S, Wang C. Divergent LysM effectors contribute to the virulence of Beauveria bassiana by evasion of insect immune defenses. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006604 pubmed publisher..The results of this study not only advance the understanding of LysM protein evolution but also establish the effector mechanism of fungus-animal interactions. ..