Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mutagenesis in Beijing, China
Locale: Beijing, China
- Hu M, Chao Y, Zhang G, Yang X, Xue Z, Qian S. Molecular evolution of Fome lignosus laccase by ethyl methane sulfonate-based random mutagenesis in vitro. Biomol Eng. 2007;24:619-24 pubmed..46 A. This implies that it is likely involved in the formation of water channel and that it helps facilitate the easy incoming and outgoing of water. ..
- Ouyang S, Liu Q, Fang L, Chen G. Construction of pha-operon-defined knockout mutants of Pseudomonas putida KT2442 and their applications in poly(hydroxyalkanoate) production. Macromol Biosci. 2007;7:227-33 pubmed..putida KT2442 was a very useful host of great potential not only for studying PhaC synthase, but also for microbial production of copolyesters poly(3HB-co-mcl 3HA), which is very difficult to obtain. ..
- Hu Y, Jiang F, Guo Y, Shen X, Zhang Y, Zhang R, et al. Crystal structure of HugZ, a novel heme oxygenase from Helicobacter pylori. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:1537-44 pubmed publisher..Members of this family are widespread in pathogenic bacteria and may play important roles in the iron acquisition of these bacteria. ..
- Gong Y, Wang X, Liu J, Shi L, Yin B, Peng X, et al. NSPc1, a mainly nuclear localized protein of novel PcG family members, has a transcription repression activity related to its PKC phosphorylation site at S183. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:115-21 pubmed..Taken together, results from our study suggest that NSPc1, as a typical PcG family member, has powerful transcriptional repression ability, which may be related to the PKC signaling pathway. ..
- Xu J, Li H, Chen L, Wang Y, Liu L, He L, et al. A protein kinase, interacting with two calcineurin B-like proteins, regulates K+ transporter AKT1 in Arabidopsis. Cell. 2006;125:1347-60 pubmed..We propose a model in which the CBL1/9-CIPK23 pathway ensures activation of AKT1 and enhanced K+ uptake under low-K+ conditions. ..
- Meng Z, Lou Z, Liu Z, Li M, Zhao X, Bartlam M, et al. Crystal structure of human pyrroline-5-carboxylate reductase. J Mol Biol. 2006;359:1364-77 pubmed..Human P5CR is thermostable and the crystals were grown at 37 degrees C. The enzyme is implicated in oxidation of the anti-tumor drug thioproline. ..
- Fang M, Jin L, Zhang C, Tan Y, Jiang P, Ge N, et al. Rapid mutation of Spirulina platensis by a new mutagenesis system of atmospheric and room temperature plasmas (ARTP) and generation of a mutant library with diverse phenotypes. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77046 pubmed publisher..ARTP was demonstrated to be an effective and non-GMO mutagenesis tool to generate the mutant library for multicellular microalgae. ..
- Hwang J, Gu Y, Lee Y, Yang Z. Oscillatory ROP GTPase activation leads the oscillatory polarized growth of pollen tubes. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:5385-99 pubmed
- Wang W, Ye R, Xin Y, Fang X, Li C, Shi H, et al. An importin ? protein negatively regulates MicroRNA activity in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2011;23:3565-76 pubmed publisher..These results implicate EMA1 as a negative regulator of the miRNA pathway and reveal a novel layer of miRNA activity modulation. ..
- Qu L, Qin G. Generation and identification of Arabidopsis EMS mutants. Methods Mol Biol. 2014;1062:225-39 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the procedures for generating mutants with EMS and analyzing EMS mutations by map-based cloning. ..
- Jiang F, Guo M, Yang F, DUNCAN K, Jackson D, Rafalski A, et al. Mutations in an AP2 transcription factor-like gene affect internode length and leaf shape in maize. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37040 pubmed publisher..Mutations near exon-intron junctions of the AP2 gene give mis-spliced transcript variants, which result in shorter internodes and wrinkled leaves. ..
- Huang Z, Ren S, Jiang Y, Wang T. PINK1 and Parkin cooperatively protect neurons against constitutively active TRP channel-induced retinal degeneration in Drosophila. Cell Death Dis. 2016;7:e2179 pubmed publisher..In addition, the results demonstrated that maintaining mitochondrial homeostasis via PINK1/Parkin-dependent mitochondrial quality control can potentially alleviate cell death in a wide range of neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Zhao X, Zhao L, Tian T, Zhang Y, Tong J, Zheng X, et al. Interruption of cenph causes mitotic failure and embryonic death, and its haploinsufficiency suppresses cancer in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:27924-34 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings uncover an essential role of cenph in mitosis and embryonic development and its association with tumor development. ..
- Wu D, Chen X, Guo D, Hong Q, Fu B, Ding R, et al. Knockdown of fibronectin induces mitochondria-dependent apoptosis in rat mesangial cells. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:646-57 pubmed..These studies, which explored a new method for simultaneously inhibiting MC proliferation and ECM accumulation, may represent a novel therapeutic approach to glomerulosclerosis. ..
- Zhao L, Wu A, Bi L, Liu P, Zhang X, Jiang T, et al. Length-dependent regulation of the Kv1.2 channel activation by its C-terminus. Mol Membr Biol. 2009;26:186-93 pubmed publisher..2 channel. These results imply that the dynamic interaction of the C-terminus with the S4-S5 linker from a neighboring subunit of the Kv1.2 channel provides a mechanism for its C-terminus to regulate the channel activation. ..
- Gong W, Li Y, Cui G, Hu J, Fang H, Jin C, et al. Solution structure and catalytic mechanism of human protein histidine phosphatase 1. Biochem J. 2009;418:337-44 pubmed publisher..No similar catalytic mechanism can be found in the EzCatDB database. ..
- Ye S, Wu X, Wei L, Tang D, Sun P, Bartlam M, et al. An insight into the mechanism of human cysteine dioxygenase. Key roles of the thioether-bonded tyrosine-cysteine cofactor. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:3391-402 pubmed..This report provides a new potential target for therapy of diseases related to human cysteine dioxygenase, including neurodegenerative and autoimmune diseases. ..
- Wu Q, Pei J, Turse C, Ficht T. Mariner mutagenesis of Brucella melitensis reveals genes with previously uncharacterized roles in virulence and survival. BMC Microbiol. 2006;6:102 pubmed..melitensis genome. Conjugation was performed efficiently and rapidly in less than one generation in order to minimize the formation of siblings while assuring the highest level of genome coverage...
- Wang J, Liu X, Liang Y, Li L, Su X. Acceptor substrate binding revealed by crystal structure of human glucosamine-6-phosphate N-acetyltransferase 1. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:2973-8 pubmed publisher..Hence, these findings have broadened our knowledge of structural features required for the substrate affinity of GNA1. ..
- Li L, Liu K, Hu Y, Li D, Luan S. Single mutations convert an outward K+ channel into an inward K+ channel. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:2871-6 pubmed publisher..Dramatic changes in rectifying properties can be caused by single amino acid mutations, providing evidence that the inward and outward channels in the Shaker family from plants may derive from the same ancestor. ..
- Song Y, He F, Xie G, Guo X, Xu Y, Chen Y, et al. CAF-1 is essential for Drosophila development and involved in the maintenance of epigenetic memory. Dev Biol. 2007;311:213-22 pubmed..Together, our results establish that dCAF-1-p180 is an essential gene for Drosophila development and further underscore the importance of dCAF-1 in regulating gene expression and DNA repair in vivo. ..
- Geng L, Chen M, Liang Q, Liu W, Zhang W, Ping S, et al. Functional analysis of a putative regulatory gene, tadR, involved in aniline degradation in Delftia tsuruhatensis AD9. Arch Microbiol. 2009;191:603-14 pubmed publisher..Moreover, gel shift assay confirmed the binding of the gene product to the tadQ promoter region. These results clarified the outline of the regulatory mechanism for aniline degradation in AD9...
- Zha J, Zhou Q, Xu L, Chen D, Li L, Zhai Z, et al. RIP5 is a RIP-homologous inducer of cell death. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;319:298-303 pubmed..However, RIP5-induced apoptotic morphology is not blocked by crmA. These findings suggest that RIP5 may induce both caspase-dependent apoptosis and caspase-independent cell death. ..
- Liu Y, Ma X, Guo C. Effects of the N terminus of mouse DNA polymerase Îº on the bypass of a guanine-benzo[a]pyrenyl adduct. J Biochem. 2016;159:471-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the extreme N-terminal part of PolÎº is required for the processivity and fidelity of PolÎº during translesion synthesis of BPDE-dG lesions. ..
- Su X, Zhu G, Ding X, Lee S, Dou Y, Zhu B, et al. Molecular basis underlying histone H3 lysine-arginine methylation pattern readout by Spin/Ssty repeats of Spindlin1. Genes Dev. 2014;28:622-36 pubmed publisher..Mutagenesis of Spindlin1 reader pockets impairs activation of Wnt target genes. Taken together, our work connects a histone "lysine-arginine" methylation pattern readout by Spindlin1-to-Wnt signaling at the transcriptional level. ..
- Hao W, Collier S, Moffett P, Chai J. Structural basis for the interaction between the potato virus X resistance protein (Rx) and its cofactor Ran GTPase-activating protein 2 (RanGAP2). J Biol Chem. 2013;288:35868-76 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal the molecular mechanism underlying the interaction of Rx with RanGAP2 and identify the distinct surfaces of the Rx CC domain that are involved in intramolecular and intermolecular interactions...
- Li J, Guo Z, Huang W, Meng X, Ai G, Tang G, et al. Mining of a streptothricin gene cluster from Streptomyces sp. TP-A0356 genome via heterologous expression. Sci China Life Sci. 2013;56:619-27 pubmed publisher..A putative biosynthetic pathway for STs is proposed based on bioinformatics analyses of the ST genes and experimental evidence. ..
- Yuan C, Li Y, Sun P, Sun Y, Zhang G, Yang M, et al. Assessment of genetic diversity and variation of Robinia pseudoacacia seeds induced by short-term spaceflight based on two molecular marker systems and morphological traits. Genet Mol Res. 2012;11:4268-77 pubmed publisher..pseudoacacia. The data provide valuable molecular evidence for the effects of the space environment on R. pseudoacacia and may contribute to future space-breeding programs involving forest trees...
- Yuan W, Wu T, Fu H, Dai C, Wu H, Liu N, et al. Dense chromatin activates Polycomb repressive complex 2 to regulate H3 lysine 27 methylation. Science. 2012;337:971-5 pubmed publisher..We propose that PRC2 can sense the chromatin environment to exert its role in the maintenance of transcriptional states. ..
- Zheng A, Yuan F, Li Y, Zhu F, Hou P, Li J, et al. Claudin-6 and claudin-9 function as additional coreceptors for hepatitis C virus. J Virol. 2007;81:12465-71 pubmed..Through sequence comparison and mutagenesis studies, we show that residues N38 and V45 in the first extracellular loop (EL1) of CLDN9 are necessary for HCV entry. ..
- Li J, Liu J, Zhou J, Xiang H. Functional evaluation of four putative DNA-binding regions in Thermoanaerobacter tengcongensis reverse gyrase. Extremophiles. 2011;15:281-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we revealed that these putative DNA-contact regions affect the enzymatic activity of RG in different ways, and provided new insights into the structure and function of RG...
- Liu Y, Dan Q, Wang J, Feng Y, Chen L, Liang J, et al. Molecular basis of Wnt activation via the DIX domain protein Ccd1. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8597-608 pubmed publisher..These data together suggest a molecular mechanism for Ccd1-mediated Wnt activation in that Ccd1 converts latent polymeric Dvl to a biologically active oligomer(s). ..
- Yu W, Lin J, Jin C, Xia B. Solution structure of human zeta-COP: direct evidences for structural similarity between COP I and clathrin-adaptor coats. J Mol Biol. 2009;386:903-12 pubmed publisher..These results provide direct evidence supporting the previous proposal that the COP I F-subcomplex and adaptor protein complexes have similar tertiary and quaternary structures. ..
- Fu S, Tong X, Cai C, Zhao Y, Wu Y, Li Y, et al. The structure of tumor endothelial marker 8 (TEM8) extracellular domain and implications for its receptor function for recognizing anthrax toxin. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11203 pubmed publisher..Moreover, as TEM8 is often over-expressed in tumor cells, our TEM8 crystal structure may provide new insights into how to design PA mutants that preferentially target tumor cells. ..
- Gao H, Liu M, Zhuo Y, Zhou X, Liu J, Chen D, et al. Assessing the potential of an induced-mutation strategy for avermectin overproducers. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:4583-6 pubmed publisher..The results showed for the first time that a microgravity environment could introduce larger phenotype distribution and diversity than UV and N-methyl-N-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine (NTG) could. ..
- Wang D, Jao L, Zheng N, Dolan K, Ivey J, Zonies S, et al. Efficient genome-wide mutagenesis of zebrafish genes by retroviral insertions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12428-33 pubmed..Combining this increase in efficiency with cryopreservation of sperm samples from the F(1) fish, it is now possible to create a stable resource that contains mutations in every known zebrafish gene. ..
- Bai X, Meng G, Luo M, Zheng X. Rigidity of wedge loop in PACSIN 3 protein is a key factor in dictating diameters of tubules. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:22387-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, the rigidity of the wedge loop is a key factor in dictating tubule diameters. ..
- Shi W, Chen Y, Gan G, Wang D, Ren J, Wang Q, et al. Brain tumor regulates neuromuscular synapse growth and endocytosis in Drosophila by suppressing mad expression. J Neurosci. 2013;33:12352-63 pubmed publisher..These results together reveal an important and previously unidentified role for Brat in synaptic development and endocytosis mediated by suppression of BMP signaling. ..
- Ma X, Yu J, Zhang S, Liu X, Wu B, Wei X, et al. External Ba2+ block of the two-pore domain potassium channel TREK-1 defines conformational transition in its selectivity filter. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:39813-22 pubmed publisher..Together, these results illustrate the important role of selectivity filter gating in the regulation of TREK-1 by the extracellular K(+) and proton. ..
- Ren X, Sun J, Housden B, Hu Y, Roesel C, Lin S, et al. Optimized gene editing technology for Drosophila melanogaster using germ line-specific Cas9. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:19012-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss the advantages of our method in comparison with other recently published approaches. ..
- Dong X, Xu F, Gong Y, Gao J, Lin P, Chen T, et al. Crystal structure of the V domain of human Nectin-like molecule-1/Syncam3/Tsll1/Igsf4b, a neural tissue-specific immunoglobulin-like cell-cell adhesion molecule. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:10610-7 pubmed..Mutagenesis work demonstrated that Phe(82) is a key residue for the adhesion activity of Necl-1. A model for homophilic adhesion of Necl-1 at synapses is proposed based on its structure and previous studies. ..
- Tian Z, Li Q, Buck M, Kolb A, Wang Y. The CRP-cAMP complex and downregulation of the glnAp2 promoter provides a novel regulatory linkage between carbon metabolism and nitrogen assimilation in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2001;41:911-24 pubmed..A novel regulatory linkage between carbon and nitrogen regulons is proposed. ..
- Wang L, Li S, Li Y. Identification and characterization of a new exopolysaccharide biosynthesis gene cluster from Streptomyces. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003;220:21-7 pubmed..Involvement of the ste gene cluster in exopolysaccharide biosynthesis was confirmed by disrupting the priming glycosyltransferase gene in Streptomyces sp. 139 to generate non-exopolysaccharide-producing mutants. ..