Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on hymenoptera in Beijing, China
Locale: Beijing, China
- Gao T, Shih C, Rasnitsyn A, Ren D. Hoplitolyda duolunica gen. et sp. nov. (Insecta, Hymenoptera, Praesiricidae), the Hitherto largest sawfly from the Mesozoic of China. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62420 pubmed publisher..Hymenopterans, most being phytophagous or parasitic, have a relatively small to medium body size, typically under 50.0 mm in body length...
- Hu Z, Zhao X, Li Y, Liu X, Zhang Q. Maternal care in the parasitoid Sclerodermus harmandi (Hymenoptera: Bethylidae). PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e51246 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that S. harmandi females display maternal care and that this behavior improves the survival of offspring. ..
- Zhu K, Gao B, Zhu S. Characterization of a chimeric antimicrobial peptide uncovers evolutionary significance of exon-shuffling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;428:360-4 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that in Nasonia the antimicrobial function of abaecin depends on the combination of NtAU with CtNU and thus suggest a new role of exon-shuffling in buffering loss-of-function mutation of a gene. ..
- Yang N, Ji L, Lövei G, Wan F. Shifting preference between oviposition vs. host-feeding under changing host densities in two aphelinid parasitoids. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41189 pubmed publisher..The balance between reserving optimal hosts for oviposition or using them for host-feeding depended on parasitoid life history and the availability of host resources. ..
- Tian C, Gao B, Fang Q, Ye G, Zhu S. Antimicrobial peptide-like genes in Nasonia vitripennis: a genomic perspective. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:187 pubmed publisher..As the first AMP repertoire of a parasitic wasp, our results offer a basic platform for further studying the immunological and evolutionary significances of these newly discovered AMP-like genes in this class of insects...
- Gao Y, Luo L, Hammond A. Antennal morphology, structure and sensilla distribution in Microplitis pallidipes (Hymenoptera: Braconidae). Micron. 2007;38:684-93 pubmed..The morphology and structure of these sensilla were compared with that found in other braconid wasps. Their possible functions are discussed in light of previously published literature. ..
- Wang B, Xiao J, Bian S, Gu H, Huang D. Adaptive evolution of vertebrate-type cryptochrome in the ancestors of Hymenoptera. Biol Lett. 2013;9:20120958 pubmed publisher..The function of CRY2 might have been fixed since undergoing natural selection in the ancestor of Hymenoptera. Male pollinators showed stronger rhythmicity in the host figs, which reflect an adaptation to their life cycles...
- Wang B, Xiao J, Bian S, Niu L, Murphy R, Huang D. Evolution and expression plasticity of opsin genes in a fig pollinator, Ceratosolen solmsi. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53907 pubmed publisher..Co-evolutionary history with figs might have influenced the evolution and expression plasticity of opsin genes in fig pollinators. ..
- Xiao J, Jia J, Murphy R, Huang D. Rapid evolution of the mitochondrial genome in Chalcidoid wasps (Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea) driven by parasitic lifestyles. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26645 pubmed publisher..The AT-rich control region was translocated and inverted in Philotrypesis. The mitochondrial genomes also exhibited rapid rates of evolution involving elevated nonsynonymous mutations. ..
- Zhang S, Chen L, Gu S, Cui J, Gao X, Zhang Y, et al. Binding characterization of recombinant odorant-binding proteins from the parasitic wasp, Microplitis mediator (Hymenoptera: Braconidae). J Chem Ecol. 2011;37:189-94 pubmed publisher..MmedOBP2 showed affinity for some aromatic compounds, whereas MmedOBP4 and MmedOBP6 bound several terpenoids. MmedOBP5 bound ?-ionone, but did not bind any of the other potential ligands that we tested...
- Tian C, Wang L, Ye G, Zhu S. Inhibition of melanization by a Nasonia defensin-like peptide: implications for host immune suppression. J Insect Physiol. 2010;56:1857-62 pubmed publisher..The possible role of nasonin-3 in immune suppression is also discussed. ..